The Green Mile (1999) Poster

1,770 Reviews
" I knows you think I's a powerful man, but the darkness scares me boss "
thinker169129 October 2009
The world is teeming with wretched prisons wherein all manner of men are housed. Because these men are said to have committed a crime, the places are manifest and most men serving there, have earned their stay. However, as history has shown, there are innocent men incarcerated as well. Occasionally, one of these innocents are not only imprisoned, but are further remembered because their life becomes legend. In this case, the realization is nothing short of incredible as the new prisoner is a natural empath. Steven King the prolific American horror writer, chronicles this unusual story in a Louisanna prison where one Joe Coffee, (Michael Clarke Duncan) a huge, nay, enormous Black man, having been convicted of murder, is sentenced to be executed, by electrocution. Tom Hanks( And Dabbs Greer) plays Paul Edgecomb, an aging Prison Guard, who recalls his years in the state prison. Working on 'Death Row' or " The Green Mile ", Mr. Edgecomb recalls Mr. Coffee's arrival and the strange events during his stay. With sympathetic Guards, like Brutus Howell (David Morse), Dean Stanton (Barry Pepper), Harry Terwilliger (Jeffery Demunn and one particular sadistic guard called Percy Wetmore (Doug Hutchison), Edgecomb recollects his discovery of the man's unusual healing powers and the surprising revelations concerning his innocence. The story is crafted by Steven King and it's application to the silver screen is perhaps one of the finest adaptation ever done. Duncan is magnificent and has a superb ability to allow the audience to learn his true purpose. Were it not for the sadistic behavior of Hutchison, who earned his ultimate reward, the story would not have carried it's genuine sympathetic awe which gave this movie it's Classic status. A great film and a must for true movie fans. ****
42 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most penetrating films of the past several years. **** out of ****
Movie-1225 January 2000
THE GREEN MILE (1999) ****

Starring: Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke Duncan, Bonnie Hunt, James Cromwell, Michael Jeter, Doug Hutchison, and Gary Sinise Written and directed by Frank Darabont. Running Time: 180 minutes. Rated R (for scenes of strong disturbing violence, language, and some sexuality)

By Blake French:

It's not everyday that a movie is able to change an audiences opinion on something. "The Green Mile" is a movie that made me think long and hard about supporting the death penalty. The film, based on a novel by Stephen King, contains such a variety of emotional events that it repels its audience away from its subject rather than glamorizing it. Only a handful of recent productions have been capable of such power. "The Green Mile" is truly one of the best films this year and is Oscar Worthy in many categories. It is a unique, three hour experience that must be seen to believe.

The story is more of a personal narrative than an actual plot. The film offers an interesting perspective of the events that take place. It is seen through the eyes of a man who is over one hundred years of age, Paul Edgecomb, who is currently living in an old folks home with his friend, Elaine. During a very emotional day for Paul, he tells Elaine of a historical year in his experiences. She listens closely to his story.

He tells of a particular year in the 1930's. The setting is a beautifully crafted prison hall. Paul explains he used to be a kind prison guard on death row in charge of overseeing the executions. In this year, several significant activities occurred in his life: he had a terribly painful urinary infection, and met a prisoner named John Coffey. This man has been sentenced to the electric chair for the rape and murder of two innocent little girls. This man isn't like anyone else Paul has seen, however. Aside from being massive in size, he is humble, mild mannered, and caring. After several miraculous events take place that may point to the thought that John Coffey might have magical powers from God, Paul begins to doubt the crimes this so called criminal has been convicted of.

Throughout the story we witness three executions that in an electric chair. These capital punishment sequences have much power and significance. The electrocutions, one in particular, contain some of the most unsettling, disturbing material in film history. The movie is anti death penalty; we see the sometimes sadistic world from the prisoner guards point of view. It will put you in their shoes--and perhaps, change your opinion on the death penalty. I certainly had to think about my stand on this issue.

I did have questions that were not really answered by the filmmakers. I wanted more on John Coffey's magical powers; the miracles aren't investigated enough to suit our pleas. I think the movie could have also stood on a firmer platform of religion. We assume that Coffey's abilities are a gift from God from the character's dialogue, but religion itself is more of a theme in the film than a message or plot point. I can perfectly see why the writers decided to leave these elements to the audiences imagination, to provoke participation. So I suppose my objections are not really flaws, just personal aspirations.

"The Green Mile" contains so many vivid performances, I will not be able to honor everyone who deserves credit in my review. Michael Jeter, Gary Sinise, Doug Hutchison, James Cromwell, Bonnie Hunt, and David Morse are all superior in strength of their characters. Each contributes Oscar worthy performances, and if the Academy leaves these individuals out at Award time, they need to recheck their databases. Michael Clarke Duncan recently received a Golden Globe nomination for his supporting role, and he deserves it. Tom Hanks is just unspeakably brilliant in the leading role. He is right behind Kevin Spacey from "American Beauty" in the best performance of 1999.

The message to "The Green Mile" is clear and understandable: justice isn't always just and the miracles can happen in the most unexpected of places. This film is one of the most penetrating dramas of the past several years. It will induce your mind to think about its subjects, and gradually build on you. "The Green Mile" is a movie that will stick with you long after the ending credits role by.

Brought to you by Warner Bros.
250 out of 293 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
MR_Heraclius24 February 2020
Some of the supporting characters are a little two-dimensional, but 'The Green Mile' is an incredibly effective prison drama with terrific performances and a script that deals with grief in an innovative and emotionally resonant way.
53 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this movie can tear emotions out of anyone.
deepaknarwal882 December 2009
i expected this movie to be a normal and i just want to see it for Tom Hanks but as movie goes through i cry,i laugh and there comes a feeling which can't be described in words. i rate this movie as the best i have ever seen. some moments in the movie makes me hold my bed pillow in the tightest ever grip. i can guarantee that this movie will leave an impression in your mind for a long time. i even say that this movie is better than shawshank redemption.fantastic story, brilliant acting,mind boggling feelings and overall an unforgettable drama. if you have watched 1000 movies and not this then your movie watching journey is incomplete.i will also make sure that even my next generation should watch this one.
333 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A one of a kind classic
jlacerra17 June 2001
This movie is a real gem. It is hard to find fault with it. Hanks is excellent in a role that clearly calls for him to suppress his natural slant toward humor. He is Paul Edgecomb; Tom Hanks is nowhere to be found. Yet he gives Edgecomb just the right flavor. One cannot find a single weak cast member! Michael Jeter should have got an Oscar. Michael Clark Duncan put just the right shading on his huge character to make him vulnerable and sympathetic.

Flawlessly shot on perfect period sets, the whole production binds together to bring the extraordinary story into the realm of a believable and compelling study of human injustice and charity.
227 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'm sorry for what I am
DemonKiki5 May 2020
You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do. I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?
40 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not live your entire life without seeing this film!!!
oundjianm8 January 2012
GREATEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN. i remember seeing it when it first came out when i was 12 years old. now i just finished watching it and have gone through practically a whole box of tissues...

that pure, love and honesty was portrayed so exquisitely well by Michael Clarke Duncan... it made me want to tear my hair out. If there is anything in this world which reminds me of true human love and compassion, it is this film. If you ever give up hope on humanity and the destruction which our disgusting race has brought to this world, watch "The Green Mile" Hopefully it will change your outlook a little bit like it just has mine.

11/10 SHOULD HAVE WON ALL THE AWARDS AVAILABLE THE YEAR OF IT'S RELEASE.
91 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like the drink only not spelled the same
Angel-5416 June 2000
This movie was spectacular!! I was watching it intently from beginning to end and did not even notice the time. This movie is a true masterpiece. Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan were wonderful and the supporting cast was fantastic.

Based on a serial novel by Stephen King, the Green Mile is about Paul Edgecomb, a officer in charge of prisoners on death row and everything was the same as usual until the day that John Coffey (Clarke Duncan) was brought to the mile. Coffey is an extraordinary person and Paul Edgecomb never believed in miracles until the day he met one.

This movie is one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King novel that I have ever seen. I think that I would recommend this movie to everyone, and even if you don't like King's work I am certain that you will love this flick. This movie was robbed at the Academy Awards, but never the less, it is still one of the most memorable movies I have ever seen. A small warning though, if you are a bit squeemish then you may need to hide your eyes for a few scenes, but don't miss out on this movie because of it. I give this movie a 9.5 out of 10!!!
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rare gem of casting and direction.
uniikki10 February 2000
Frank Darabont returns to the directors chair with another adaptation of Stephen Kings novel. The events take place at a death row, the guards call the green mile. The story is a layered, rather character-driven fantasy tale of the events that transpire at "the mile" after the arrival of a giant man, John Coffey (Michael Duncan), convicted of the murder of two small girls. Actually this is not one single story, but several tied together seamlessly.

A character-driven movie requires a lot from the cast, and fortunately when it comes to cast, The Green Mile delivers. As the poster of the movie tells, this movie stars Tom Hanks as Paul Edgecomb, senior prison guard of the mile, and as always he performs very well indeed. Yet the cast around him is even more spectacular, perhaps partially due to them being relatively unknown. With a face you know, one inevitably remembers previous performances, and the new role is coloured by this. Doug Hutchison as Percy Wetmore, a mean spirited prison guard was particularly impressive, yet his character could have been given more depth. The most captivating was the performance of Michael Duncan.

It is hard to find a flaw in this movie. The camerawork is superb, cast wonderful and direction flawless. The movie's considerable length, a bit over three hours, is something that had me worried. Yet the marvellous cast and the peaceful yet firm pace of the movie held my attention progressively through the three hours right to the touching culmination. Many will find this movie to be too long, but I for one was delighted of the style, combination of simplicity of events and depth of characters and conversation.

All in all the The Green Mile is a very touching drama, with the joys and sorrows of the life pictured with great skill, if not the best movie of the year. Five out of five.
418 out of 470 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As wonderful as the book!
KathyT15 December 1999
"The Green Mile" is one of my favorite Stephen King books and I have read it several times. I was anxiously anticipating the film version, but was concerned that the emotional impact of the book could not be replicated on screen. Fortunately this wonderful story was adapted by Frank Darabont, who did such a magnificent job bringing King's "Shawshank Redemption" to the screen. He does the same high quality work with "The Green Mile". The story is faithful to the book, only losing details that were not important to the story anyway. The casting is superb - every actor is perfectly suited for his role and does an excellent job, although I would like to single out Doug Hutchison. His portrayal of the detestable Percy is right on the mark and suggests complexities in this character I had not discovered in the book. The length is about three hours and it seems that critics are complaining about that. I can't understand the complaints. The film never drags and is never dull, and it certainly didn't feel three hours long. The length is needed to tell this story the way it should be told, and the story is so very engrossing. Best of all, Darabont and the actors bring so much emotion ot the screen, that I cried like a baby through several scenes. "The Green Mile" will haunt you.
647 out of 702 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rest in Peace Michael Clarke Duncan
epluribusunum20105 September 2012
There's a reason why this Oscar winning tour de force is #67 ranked of all films on IMDb, despite the fact that it's 3 hours long and has some truly grisly scenes (not for the squeamish, children, or a first date.)

It's chock full of outstanding performances, not only from Hanks, but also from the many supporting characters, all who are rich and full. It will seem slow to the impatient, but will be richly rewarding for those with the stamina to make it to the end.

It will certainly get you thinking about capital punishment and perhaps different shades/degrees of evil. It is either a deeply moving spiritual tale or a wonderfully creepy journey down the rabbit hole of Stephen King's mind; take your pick. Either way, I put it right up there on my desert island list with the likes of Shawshank Redemption. It is definitely required watching.
106 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
True to the book, which is odd for a movie.
Matt-23115 December 1999
Having seen the movie, The Green Mile, and read the novel of the same name by Stephen King, I am glad to say that the movie stays true to the book, which in itself is a great read. I read the book in one setting about a year ago, and after seeing the movie, I didn't see one scene from the book, or one plot point, left out. There were a few minor changes from the book but which in no way detract from either work. As far as performances, I can imagine many people pointing to Michael Duncan as John Coffey or Tom Hanks as Paul Edgecomb as the best performances of the movie, and they are good, but I would hope that Michael Jeter would receive recognition for portraying Eduard Delacroix. He plays Delacroix exactly as I pictured him when I read the book. I can very well see why King himself said this is his favorite of the movies adapted from his novels. It is the only one played out as he had written it. I wouldn't compare this movie or the book to (Rita Hayworth and) The Shawshank Redemption because that would be unfair to both. They are both great, but are both different. The Green Mile isn't a movie about hope and friendship, as The Shawshank Redemption was, it is a movie about a miracle of a man, and the people he affects. But like The Shawshank Redemption, I give The Green Mile 4 out of 4 stars. Great story, great cast, great look.
310 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It will stay with you for a long time.
transylvanianfairy11 July 2013
The Shawshank Redemption is possibly my favorite movie ever. I had seen many movies before it, and I've certainly seen a lot after, but not many of them made me feel what that one did. Now, I have that feeling again. And once again, it comes from watching a Frank Darabont movie. I couldn't possibly explain the overload of emotions I experienced in the 3 hours it lasts. I have laughed. I have felt the emotions of every character. And most of all, I have cried. Very few movies have touched me like this one. Is there something to say about the acting that hasn't been said before? No, it isn't. You may have heard it is flawless, incredible, whatever. You did hear right, it absolutely is. I can't think of anyone in the whole movie that wasn't convincing in the least. The script has its funny moments, but it's incredibly deep, poignant and heartfelt. The characters are so "human" and unpretentious you can't help but adore them. But, well, there will be some you'd like to strangle. There has to be a villain everywhere, right? The Green Mile is a movie I will hardly forget. You can't possibly forget such an emotive story.

What, you want to watch it? Great! But don't forget to have grab some tissues first.
41 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Film was invented for creations like this.
alan photog9 January 2000
The Green Mile is a masterwork. This is film as art, at it's very best. The depth of the cast is extraordinary, with all of the players delivering excellent performances. There is a clear sense here that all involved in the production knew that this was something special, and gave it their all. See this film if you truly enjoy actors giving everything to their craft. Watch for the countless subtleties of expression, and the great power that the cast creates with silence. This is evident in the opening sequence and remains throughout. Above all, Michael Duncan as John Coffey is exceptional. He brings gripping emotion to a unique, fascinating character.

The Green Mile should bring you joy, laughter, and if you are like most in the theater this night, tears.

BRAVO!
709 out of 796 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rest In Peace, Michael Clarke Duncan, you legend.
undeaddt6 February 2019
With this movie Tom Hanks proves why he is one of the all time best male actors that shook the world with their abnormal amazing acting roles. Among the TOP 100 IMDB rated movies, he has probably more than 4-5, including The Green Mile, Forest Gump and Saving Private Ryan, Captain Philips was also an amazing movie. But the spotlight in The Green Mile is reserved for Michael Clarke Duncan in the role of John Coffey. Nobody can count the amount of people that this person made cry in the early 2000's. He is the most adoring male human being that showed up on the movie screen in this century, his acting is out of this world and emotions are leaking out of every cell of his body. The fact that the actor died 7 years ago makes everyone 10 times more sad....rest in piece legend. Above all, we must not forget that this is another movie based on a Stephen King novel that succeded big time, which shows why we may consider King as the best novel writer of all time.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Right next to Shawshank!!!
stallone-929 March 2008
Frank Darabont directs another masterpiece adapted by a Steven King novel.Sheer brilliance at its finest.Tom Hanks makes perhaps his greatest performance as the corrections officer Paul Edgecombe who doesn't believe in miracles until he sees one.While Tom and the others all shine in their roles I think that Michael Clarke Duncan deserves most credit as his magnificent portrayal of John Coffey-a convicted 8 foot tall giant murderer.He is accused in the killing of two little girls and sentenced to death.With time however Paul starts to wonder if the gentle hearted Coffey really did commit the murder.The movie has so many emotional moments that it's hard not to sympathize with the characters.The deep emotional drama of some of them is mentally pressuring and you become connected with these people - again expertly accomplished by Darabont who perfectly understands the source material and sticks close to it.Like Shawshank before it the movie teaches us the value of human life and how strong each one of us can be.This is achieved here similarly as again there is an innocent man put in prison but unlike Andy John is touched by God.He is a magical being who calls forth sympathy and by the end the audience is so аttached to him that the somewhat tragic ending is quite sad.As his previous movie Mr Darabont creates yet another fantastic film sure to stay in your heart for a while.Steven King should be proud.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A real tear-jerker
ronakkotian25 September 2020
Frank Darabont has given us some classic films like The Shawshank Redemption and whilst The Green Mile isn't as great, it's still an emotionally moving experience.

The Green Mile shows the lives of several guards of Death Row and how the arrival of a prisoner named John Coffey, who has mysterious powers, affects them.

Regarded as an absolute classic, The Green Mile is sure to tug on your heartstrings. Whilst the film may be three hours long, the emotional weight that this film brings is sure to make you cry. Frank Darabont's direction is great. You really feel transported to this place and Darabont conveys the cruel nature of the death penalty as honest as possible. The execution scenes involving the electric chair can be hard to watch especially one which becomes quite unsettling. The film does a great job making the audience care about the characters. Whilst the character of Del has done bad deeds, you still care about him after seeing his relationship with the guards and what eventually happens to him. My main issue with this film stems from its runtime. I think it's way too long and because of how long it was, I lost interest during some parts.

The performances were stellar from everybody. Tom Hanks is great as usual and played Paul Edgecomb really well. However, the real star of this film is Michael Clarke Duncan. Despite his large nature, Duncan really manages to make Coffey seem as vulnerable and sympathetic as possible. He truly does a great job and is the trigger for tears streaming down many people's faces. Michael Jeter is terrific as Del and once again makes the audience sympathetic towards him. Both Doug Hutchison and Sam Rockwell did a great job as their characters and made us feel very hateful towards them.

The Green Mile does drag with its three hour runtime but at the same time it's one of the most heartfelt and emotionally gripping films I've seen. It's certainly worth a watch.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'what happens on the mile stays on the mile'
Joeyistheman6 May 2011
This is easily one of my favourite movies of all time. do not be put off of watching this movie because of its run time(3 hours) because those 3 hours will just fly by as this movie is so interesting and such a huge success. tom hanks is the main character but i think that Micheal Clarke Duncan really does steal the spotlight away from him. Stephen kings novel (with the same title) is not as good as the movie but it still stands tall i would recommend viewing this little gem if you're a fan of tom hanks or Stephen king.i have never watched a movie that has made me cry but i have to say i was very close to tears after the undeniable ending.the script is just outstanding and the acting is spot on.the storyline is very original as i have never seen anything like this before and i don't think anyone will ever try to copy it.

if you're thinking about viewing this title and you haven't seen it already i suggest you get the tissues ready.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overlong, but haunting, thought-provoking, moving and engrossing
TheLittleSongbird27 February 2011
I am starting to like Stephen King's work more now, and I read the book. A wonderful book, that is faithfully(mostly) adapted into an equally wonderful film. My only complaint of The Green Mile is the length, I do think it is too long. However, The Green Mile is a film that is haunting, thought-provoking, moving and engrossing.

The film is beautifully directed by Frank Darabont(director of the slightly superior The Shawshank Redemption), is beautifully shot with a foreboding setting and atmospheric cinematography and lighting and has an engrossing and haunting story that is well-paced too. Thomas Newman's score is positively hypnotic and very beautiful, with some great authentic song choices, my favourite being Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams(And Dream Your Troubles Away).

The script is thoughtful too, and the movie also has a big emotional impact without feeling manipulative, I honestly couldn't help crying at the end of the movie. I have to say as well, the execution scenes were really quite harrowing. The performances are strong, Tom Hanks is excellent as the warden, as is Doug Hutchison who gives a credibility and complexity to a character that could have easily been clichéd and David Morse as Brutus. But Michael Clarke Duncan is the actor I want to give the real kudos to, he has a wonderful character and he absolutely nails it.

Overall, a very, very good movie. Had it been shorter, it would have been perfect. 9/10 Bethany Cox
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should be higher in top 250. One of those movies which makes you cry and admire creator's mind. True Masterpiece
ykelentonador14 November 2010
This movie goes beyond others into an elite group with movies like Facing The Giants, Good Will Hunting, Men Of Honor and others; in which the story is so brilliant and takes you to a climax higher than the usual, that it baffles you to think that there exist possibility in the human mind to create such a story. Kind of like songs, in which there are songs so brilliantly written that you can't imagine a human being writing it.

I love drama, they're my favorites and I don't get bored with them especially when it's interesting; so the length, which is something complained about by a lot of people with this movie, doesn't bother me at all it just adds more interest.

One of the best movies of all time and a must see!

10/10 without a doubt.
50 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing and captivating rendition of the novel.
thomaseb31 January 2000
The length of the movie was perfect. It kept to the story to an amazing degree. The few changes didn't hurt the feeling nor the telling. The story itself is stirring and captivating. The casting of the parts and their portrayal were right on. This is one of the best movie versions of a Steven King novel I've ever seen, and I think I've seen them all. If you're prone to tears at a film, take extra tissues, you'll need them. The theater I was in was a mass of sniffles through the end credits. If you like fantasy/drama the film cannot be missed. There are some graphic scenes that may upset some, but this is Steven King. This is a movie I plan to add to my video collection as soon as the Letter Box version hits the shelves.
164 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My most favourite movie
undsiebzig7 September 2019
OMG! This movie has it all. The story, the characters, the setting. It's just such an emotional tear-jerker. I cannot understand how someone can dislike this movie. I can highly recommend this, I can guarantee you this will force you to reflect your own character as well as the choices the movie figures make.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a gem....
snexy10 October 2001
Having doubts about seeing this movie because of the length (3 hours can be death to a film).I was so surprised that I didn't look at my watch once throughout the whole movie. Tom Hanks, in my opinion, gave the performance of his career by bringing emotion and depth to his part. The only actor that bettered him was Michael Clarke Duncan. How he made this giant like character into a vulnerable pussycat was a marvel. On whole, the cast came together and gave the best performance I have seen in a movie for a long time. Not one of them let the side down by being weak. David Morse who is more known for his supporting roles was also excellent and hopefully not long till he's carrying his own movie. If you haven't seen this get it out now,forget about the running time and connections to 'The Shawshank Redemption' and enjoy it for what it is, a little miracle. 4 out of 5
169 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mesmerizing & Thought Provoking
schd517 January 2000
Without using all the old cliches, I would recommend this movie to anyone interested in a creative, intriguing, and life enhancing experience. Everything about this movie was delightful. I recommend seeing this movie with someone especially close to you. After the movie my Fiancée and I spent two hours talking and expanding on the films ideas and concepts. This was truly a electrifying experience. I would venture to call this movie one of the best movies of all time. Sure, there are things that I would have liked to see done differently, but that is what makes a movie more enjoyable. The discussions following this film were wonderful.
184 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good film that is certainly not a remake of "The Shawshank redemption"
frankde-jong22 June 2020
Frank Darabont as a director has only made 4 films. The most highly rated are "The Shawshank redempion" (1994) and "The green mile" (1999). At first glance these films have much in common. Both adapted from a book written by Stephen King, both situated in a prison and both about the friendship between a white and a black man.

In fact the films are far more different than you are inclined to think. "The green mile" is more shocking as it is on death row. The story of "The green mile" also involves a supernatural element that "The Shawshank ... " as a more pure character study is missing.

The character that contributes the most to the dfference between the two movies is the character of the black man. In "The Shawshank ... " Morgan Freeman plays the wise experienced inmate Ellis Redding. In "The green mile" Michael Duncan plays the somewhat ambigious John Coffey. On the hand he is a simpleton, reminding me of Lennie from "Of mice and men" (John Steinbeck). On the other hand he is "a force of nature" (I can't thnk of another discription that would not give away too much of the plot) whose initials only are very telling.

Personally I prefer "The Shawshank redemption", which is more of a psycholigical drama. This is not to say that "The green mile" is only plot driven. With a running time of more than 3 hours Darabont takes his time to make individuals of his characters.

In "The green mile" the guards are on average much more friendly than in "The Shawshank ... ". There is one exception by the name of Percy Wetmore (Doug Hutchison). I think in preparing for his role Doug has taken a good look at Donald Sutherland as Attila in "Novecento" (1976, Bernardo Bertolucci).
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.