The Green Mile (1999) Poster

1,441 Reviews
As wonderful as the book!
KathyT15 December 1999
"The Green Mile" is one of my favorite Stephen King books and I have read it several times. I was anxiously anticipating the film version, but was concerned that the emotional impact of the book could not be replicated on screen. Fortunately this wonderful story was adapted by Frank Darabont, who did such a magnificent job bringing King's "Shawshank Redemption" to the screen. He does the same high quality work with "The Green Mile". The story is faithful to the book, only losing details that were not important to the story anyway. The casting is superb - every actor is perfectly suited for his role and does an excellent job, although I would like to single out Doug Hutchison. His portrayal of the detestable Percy is right on the mark and suggests complexities in this character I had not discovered in the book. The length is about three hours and it seems that critics are complaining about that. I can't understand the complaints. The film never drags and is never dull, and it certainly didn't feel three hours long. The length is needed to tell this story the way it should be told, and the story is so very engrossing. Best of all, Darabont and the actors bring so much emotion ot the screen, that I cried like a baby through several scenes. "The Green Mile" will haunt you.
367 out of 408 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Film was invented for creations like this.
alan photog9 January 2000
The Green Mile is a masterwork. This is film as art, at it's very best. The depth of the cast is extraordinary, with all of the players delivering excellent performances. There is a clear sense here that all involved in the production knew that this was something special, and gave it their all. See this film if you truly enjoy actors giving everything to their craft. Watch for the countless subtleties of expression, and the great power that the cast creates with silence. This is evident in the opening sequence and remains throughout. Above all, Michael Duncan as John Coffey is exceptional. He brings gripping emotion to a unique, fascinating character.

The Green Mile should bring you joy, laughter, and if you are like most in the theater this night, tears.

BRAVO!
511 out of 585 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
True to the book, which is odd for a movie.
Matt-23115 December 1999
Having seen the movie, The Green Mile, and read the novel of the same name by Stephen King, I am glad to say that the movie stays true to the book, which in itself is a great read. I read the book in one setting about a year ago, and after seeing the movie, I didn't see one scene from the book, or one plot point, left out. There were a few minor changes from the book but which in no way detract from either work. As far as performances, I can imagine many people pointing to Michael Duncan as John Coffey or Tom Hanks as Paul Edgecomb as the best performances of the movie, and they are good, but I would hope that Michael Jeter would receive recognition for portraying Eduard Delacroix. He plays Delacroix exactly as I pictured him when I read the book. I can very well see why King himself said this is his favorite of the movies adapted from his novels. It is the only one played out as he had written it. I wouldn't compare this movie or the book to (Rita Hayworth and) The Shawshank Redemption because that would be unfair to both. They are both great, but are both different. The Green Mile isn't a movie about hope and friendship, as The Shawshank Redemption was, it is a movie about a miracle of a man, and the people he affects. But like The Shawshank Redemption, I give The Green Mile 4 out of 4 stars. Great story, great cast, great look.
241 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A rare gem of casting and direction.
uniikki10 February 2000
Frank Darabont returns to the directors chair with another adaptation of Stephen Kings novel. The events take place at a death row, the guards call the green mile. The story is a layered, rather character-driven fantasy tale of the events that transpire at "the mile" after the arrival of a giant man, John Coffey (Michael Duncan), convicted of the murder of two small girls. Actually this is not one single story, but several tied together seamlessly.

A character-driven movie requires a lot from the cast, and fortunately when it comes to cast, The Green Mile delivers. As the poster of the movie tells, this movie stars Tom Hanks as Paul Edgecomb, senior prison guard of the mile, and as always he performs very well indeed. Yet the cast around him is even more spectacular, perhaps partially due to them being relatively unknown. With a face you know, one inevitably remembers previous performances, and the new role is coloured by this. Doug Hutchison as Percy Wetmore, a mean spirited prison guard was particularly impressive, yet his character could have been given more depth. The most captivating was the performance of Michael Duncan.

It is hard to find a flaw in this movie. The camerawork is superb, cast wonderful and direction flawless. The movie's considerable length, a bit over three hours, is something that had me worried. Yet the marvellous cast and the peaceful yet firm pace of the movie held my attention progressively through the three hours right to the touching culmination. Many will find this movie to be too long, but I for one was delighted of the style, combination of simplicity of events and depth of characters and conversation.

All in all the The Green Mile is a very touching drama, with the joys and sorrows of the life pictured with great skill, if not the best movie of the year. Five out of five.
310 out of 355 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most penetrating films of the past several years. **** out of ****
Movie-1225 January 2000
THE GREEN MILE (1999) ****

Starring: Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke Duncan, Bonnie Hunt, James Cromwell, Michael Jeter, Doug Hutchison, and Gary Sinise Written and directed by Frank Darabont. Running Time: 180 minutes. Rated R (for scenes of strong disturbing violence, language, and some sexuality)

By Blake French:

It's not everyday that a movie is able to change an audiences opinion on something. "The Green Mile" is a movie that made me think long and hard about supporting the death penalty. The film, based on a novel by Stephen King, contains such a variety of emotional events that it repels its audience away from its subject rather than glamorizing it. Only a handful of recent productions have been capable of such power. "The Green Mile" is truly one of the best films this year and is Oscar Worthy in many categories. It is a unique, three hour experience that must be seen to believe.

The story is more of a personal narrative than an actual plot. The film offers an interesting perspective of the events that take place. It is seen through the eyes of a man who is over one hundred years of age, Paul Edgecomb, who is currently living in an old folks home with his friend, Elaine. During a very emotional day for Paul, he tells Elaine of a historical year in his experiences. She listens closely to his story.

He tells of a particular year in the 1930's. The setting is a beautifully crafted prison hall. Paul explains he used to be a kind prison guard on death row in charge of overseeing the executions. In this year, several significant activities occurred in his life: he had a terribly painful urinary infection, and met a prisoner named John Coffey. This man has been sentenced to the electric chair for the rape and murder of two innocent little girls. This man isn't like anyone else Paul has seen, however. Aside from being massive in size, he is humble, mild mannered, and caring. After several miraculous events take place that may point to the thought that John Coffey might have magical powers from God, Paul begins to doubt the crimes this so called criminal has been convicted of.

Throughout the story we witness three executions that in an electric chair. These capital punishment sequences have much power and significance. The electrocutions, one in particular, contain some of the most unsettling, disturbing material in film history. The movie is anti death penalty; we see the sometimes sadistic world from the prisoner guards point of view. It will put you in their shoes--and perhaps, change your opinion on the death penalty. I certainly had to think about my stand on this issue.

I did have questions that were not really answered by the filmmakers. I wanted more on John Coffey's magical powers; the miracles aren't investigated enough to suit our pleas. I think the movie could have also stood on a firmer platform of religion. We assume that Coffey's abilities are a gift from God from the character's dialogue, but religion itself is more of a theme in the film than a message or plot point. I can perfectly see why the writers decided to leave these elements to the audiences imagination, to provoke participation. So I suppose my objections are not really flaws, just personal aspirations.

"The Green Mile" contains so many vivid performances, I will not be able to honor everyone who deserves credit in my review. Michael Jeter, Gary Sinise, Doug Hutchison, James Cromwell, Bonnie Hunt, and David Morse are all superior in strength of their characters. Each contributes Oscar worthy performances, and if the Academy leaves these individuals out at Award time, they need to recheck their databases. Michael Clarke Duncan recently received a Golden Globe nomination for his supporting role, and he deserves it. Tom Hanks is just unspeakably brilliant in the leading role. He is right behind Kevin Spacey from "American Beauty" in the best performance of 1999.

The message to "The Green Mile" is clear and understandable: justice isn't always just and the miracles can happen in the most unexpected of places. This film is one of the most penetrating dramas of the past several years. It will induce your mind to think about its subjects, and gradually build on you. "The Green Mile" is a movie that will stick with you long after the ending credits role by.

Brought to you by Warner Bros.
182 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing and captivating rendition of the novel.
thomaseb31 January 2000
The length of the movie was perfect. It kept to the story to an amazing degree. The few changes didn't hurt the feeling nor the telling. The story itself is stirring and captivating. The casting of the parts and their portrayal were right on. This is one of the best movie versions of a Steven King novel I've ever seen, and I think I've seen them all. If you're prone to tears at a film, take extra tissues, you'll need them. The theater I was in was a mass of sniffles through the end credits. If you like fantasy/drama the film cannot be missed. There are some graphic scenes that may upset some, but this is Steven King. This is a movie I plan to add to my video collection as soon as the Letter Box version hits the shelves.
123 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A one of a kind classic
jlacerra17 June 2001
This movie is a real gem. It is hard to find fault with it. Hanks is excellent in a role that clearly calls for him to suppress his natural slant toward humor. He is Paul Edgecomb; Tom Hanks is nowhere to be found. Yet he gives Edgecomb just the right flavor. One cannot find a single weak cast member! Michael Jeter should have got an Oscar. Michael Clark Duncan put just the right shading on his huge character to make him vulnerable and sympathetic.

Flawlessly shot on perfect period sets, the whole production binds together to bring the extraordinary story into the realm of a believable and compelling study of human injustice and charity.
186 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mesmerizing & Thought Provoking
schd517 January 2000
Without using all the old cliches, I would recommend this movie to anyone interested in a creative, intriguing, and life enhancing experience. Everything about this movie was delightful. I recommend seeing this movie with someone especially close to you. After the movie my Fiancée and I spent two hours talking and expanding on the films ideas and concepts. This was truly a electrifying experience. I would venture to call this movie one of the best movies of all time. Sure, there are things that I would have liked to see done differently, but that is what makes a movie more enjoyable. The discussions following this film were wonderful.
155 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a gem....
snexy10 October 2001
Having doubts about seeing this movie because of the length (3 hours can be death to a film).I was so surprised that I didn't look at my watch once throughout the whole movie. Tom Hanks, in my opinion, gave the performance of his career by bringing emotion and depth to his part. The only actor that bettered him was Michael Clarke Duncan. How he made this giant like character into a vulnerable pussycat was a marvel. On whole, the cast came together and gave the best performance I have seen in a movie for a long time. Not one of them let the side down by being weak. David Morse who is more known for his supporting roles was also excellent and hopefully not long till he's carrying his own movie. If you haven't seen this get it out now,forget about the running time and connections to 'The Shawshank Redemption' and enjoy it for what it is, a little miracle. 4 out of 5
143 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Warning to Teamsters: Bring 5 Hankies
bldsimple211 December 1999
I went looking for an experience. Something that would take me to the limits of my own existence and remind me that even in the darkest corner of my own life, there was hope. I was reminded, instead that along with the triumph there must also be sacrifice. A part of me died in that theater, but I walked out feeling renewed, refreshed...and a little cursed.

I think Paul Edgecomb feels the same way.

Tom Hanks has to be the epitome of a Hollywood living legend...and the guy's only in his 40s. He went from scraping his way through sophomoric slap like The 'Burbs, Turner & Hooch, and Bachelor Party to rise up in the 90s as our towering "everyman." Anyone who marvels in his "simple guy in complicated circumstances" roles such as Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan knows that he can deliver the goods...and an Oscar nomination (or win...or two...in a

ROW!!!) But Tom does something very interesting in The Green Mile. He lays back.

The breakout performance in this film goes to Michael Clark Duncan (right now tied with Sixth Sense's Haley Joel Osment for my Best Supporting Actor vote). Crippled by his size, Mr. Duncan has a limit of the roles he can play. However, given the role of a child-like behemoth with Christ-like powers of healing, Duncan brings to the screen a performance that will transcend the Denzels and the Poitiers of the world.

The Green Mile is Cell Block E in a Louisiana State Prison, death row. Paul Edgecomb run this wing with compassion, a startlingly different approach considering the legendary cruelty of southern prisons. He is surrounded by men in him employ who all share his philosophy that these men ultimately await the most devastating punishment. Why make their stay any more troubling.

All save one: Percy Wetmore (Doug Hutchinson), relative of the Governor and always ready to remind anyone who disagrees his HIS methods just who got him his job. Percy hates everything about The Green Mile; the prisoners, other guards, even a tiny, brave mouse who befriends one of the inmates (Michael Jeter). It isn't until another new inmate is processed, a man they call "Wild Bill", that Percy will meet his equal.

So where is the common thread? What is a messianic character doing on death row? What role will Tom Hanks play in his redemption? And what's this "curse" thing I brought up in the beginning of this review?

If I could tell you, you wouldn't slap the money down on the box office and find it for yourself. Let me just tell you that the final blessings bestowed by John Coffey (Duncan) could make optimists and pessimists alike find a common ground. How you perceive the final moments will be up to how you impart on yourself...and the world.

If John Coffey guilty of his crime? Are the fates of the characters in this film deserved? Half and half. Evil is punished, bu t goodness must bare witness...and that has a price as well. Will Tom Hanks win another Academy Award? He shouldn't. Is this a good film? No. It's an incredible film.

I still weep for Paul Edgecomb.
63 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
this movie can tear emotions out of anyone.
deepaknarwal882 December 2009
i expected this movie to be a normal and i just want to see it for Tom Hanks but as movie goes through i cry,i laugh and there comes a feeling which can't be described in words. i rate this movie as the best i have ever seen. some moments in the movie makes me hold my bed pillow in the tightest ever grip. i can guarantee that this movie will leave an impression in your mind for a long time. i even say that this movie is better than shawshank redemption.fantastic story, brilliant acting,mind boggling feelings and overall an unforgettable drama. if you have watched 1000 movies and not this then your movie watching journey is incomplete.i will also make sure that even my next generation should watch this one.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rest in Peace Michael Clarke Duncan
epluribusunum20105 September 2012
There's a reason why this Oscar winning tour de force is #67 ranked of all films on IMDb, despite the fact that it's 3 hours long and has some truly grisly scenes (not for the squeamish, children, or a first date.)

It's chock full of outstanding performances, not only from Hanks, but also from the many supporting characters, all who are rich and full. It will seem slow to the impatient, but will be richly rewarding for those with the stamina to make it to the end.

It will certainly get you thinking about capital punishment and perhaps different shades/degrees of evil. It is either a deeply moving spiritual tale or a wonderfully creepy journey down the rabbit hole of Stephen King's mind; take your pick. Either way, I put it right up there on my desert island list with the likes of Shawshank Redemption. It is definitely required watching.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Do not live your entire life without seeing this film!!!
Meroujan Oundjian8 January 2012
GREATEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN. i remember seeing it when it first came out when i was 12 years old. now i just finished watching it and have gone through practically a whole box of tissues...

that pure, love and honesty was portrayed so exquisitely well by Michael Clarke Duncan... it made me want to tear my hair out. If there is anything in this world which reminds me of true human love and compassion, it is this film. If you ever give up hope on humanity and the destruction which our disgusting race has brought to this world, watch "The Green Mile" Hopefully it will change your outlook a little bit like it just has mine.

11/10 SHOULD HAVE WON ALL THE AWARDS AVAILABLE THE YEAR OF IT'S RELEASE.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Should be higher in top 250. One of those movies which makes you cry and admire creator's mind. True Masterpiece
ykelentonador14 November 2010
This movie goes beyond others into an elite group with movies like Facing The Giants, Good Will Hunting, Men Of Honor and others; in which the story is so brilliant and takes you to a climax higher than the usual, that it baffles you to think that there exist possibility in the human mind to create such a story. Kind of like songs, in which there are songs so brilliantly written that you can't imagine a human being writing it.

I love drama, they're my favorites and I don't get bored with them especially when it's interesting; so the length, which is something complained about by a lot of people with this movie, doesn't bother me at all it just adds more interest.

One of the best movies of all time and a must see!

10/10 without a doubt.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent! Tom Hanks leads a wonderful cast in this great movie
jettaman10 February 2000
What an excellent movie this picture was. When I first saw the trailers in October, I thought it might be pretty good.

The Green Mile exceeded my expectations. Tom Hanks leads a wonderful cast in this movie which stands out by far from most others. If you liked Shawshank Redemption, you'll love this one. I've realized just how good Stephen King can write, now that I've seen this and Shawshank. It's three hours long, and worth every minute of it. It touched me in many ways. I was fortunate enough to see it twice. And I will buy it on dvd as soon as it is available. The Green Mile will certainly become a classic. Go see it, you won't be disappointed.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Least Of us
bkoganbing7 December 2009
I'm glad that a number of reviewers have informed me that this highly unusual tale was a faithful adaption from the novel by Stephen King. I'm not much of a fiction reader so it is gratifying to hear that his vision got to the screen intact.

I would not have guessed this film would have come from a horror story writer. No monsters from the id or any place else are present in this story set in the American South of the Thirties. But demons do exist in The Green Mile and there is a man named John Coffey who takes them unto himself.

The Green Mile refers to the cell block housing the inmates scheduled for Death Row. In that cell block comes Michael Clarke Duncan who is close to seven feet tall and maybe weighing 400 pounds. He's also as docile as a baby lamb and whose only request is that they leave a night light burning because he gets a little afraid of a strange place in the dark.

Of course the guards who have the typical white Alabama attitudes of the day don't quite know what to make of them, but Tom Hanks who captains the cell block and most of the rest find out just how special he is. And Hanks cannot believe that someone like Duncan could possibly be guilty of a double rape/murder of a child.

This modern day parable of the Jesus story has King telling us that it is very possible that many of his kind have walked the earth with talents for healing. One of them got a religion worked around him, but they can come in all walks of life and certainly no one would expect one to come in the guise of an illiterate black Alabama sharecropper. But one of my favorite Bible verses has Jesus himself saying that what you do unto the least of my brethren you do unto me.

Somebody of Michael Clarke Duncan's size and build is not going to get too many really good roles and he certainly hasn't played anything remotely like John Coffey again. Parts like that don't come along and the film seems almost to have been built around him. It's one of the most moving performance that has ever been put on film in history. And it's an incredibly difficult role, he's meek for his size and Uncle Tom like, but as we learn far from it. In fact Coffey is beyond what the ordinary human mind can comprehend. Duncan received one of four Academy Award nominations that The Green Mile got, in his case for Best Supporting Actor. Since the film is built around him, my only question is why was it the Supporting Actor category?

The Green Mile was also nominated for Best Picture, Best Sound and Best Adapted Screenplay, but did not come home a winner in any of these. A pity that one of the best films of the Nineties could not get at least one Oscar.

Where there's a Christ-like figure you also have some devil spawn villains and we have a pair of them in Sam Rockwell as another death row prisoner and David Hutchison as a rat of a prison guard with both connections and issues. What happens to them is both poetic and diabolical in true Stephen King tradition. Others in the cast of note are Bonnie Hunt as Mrs. Hanks, James Cromwell and Patricia Clarkson as the warden and his wife, David Morse and Barry Pepper as two other guards on the block and Michael Jeter as another prisoner with a remarkably trained 'circus' mouse.

The Green Mile is a remarkable allegorical picture and might be considered for Easter time viewing if it has a season. It certainly will make folks think.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another period prison based Darabont masterpiece!
symonm14 June 2011
In every way, this is a wonderful film and IMO deserves a rare 10/10 because it's hard personally for me to see how it could have been made any better. Hugely touching, emotive on every human level, a brilliant storyline, by all accounts a faithful screenplay and wonderfully cast. It's long, but the time flies.

Hanks is superb here as is the inspired choice of Michael Clarke Duncan and in fact all of the cast. Even the mouse was brilliant!

SPOILERS:

It's the story of a simple man wrongly convicted of the worst type of crime. Set in a time where there is no real recourse to justice for such men and with a subplot that becomes the main focus of the film. Is John Coffey a gift from God and if so why are we allowing him to be legally murdered? That he ultimately doesn't mind, doesn't ease Paul's pain or the viewers pain at what we are watching

Both Bitterbuck and Delacroix will make you question the death penalty

Percy's grossly offensive behaviour will make you question your humanity

Paul Edgecomb will make you realise what a fantastically emotive actor Tom Hanks is and Duncan's John Coffey will make you weep

Hats off to you Mr Darabont once again and thank you for a truly beautiful film.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'what happens on the mile stays on the mile'
brett holmes6 May 2011
This is easily one of my favourite movies of all time. do not be put off of watching this movie because of its run time(3 hours) because those 3 hours will just fly by as this movie is so interesting and such a huge success. tom hanks is the main character but i think that Micheal Clarke Duncan really does steal the spotlight away from him. Stephen kings novel (with the same title) is not as good as the movie but it still stands tall i would recommend viewing this little gem if you're a fan of tom hanks or Stephen king.i have never watched a movie that has made me cry but i have to say i was very close to tears after the undeniable ending.the script is just outstanding and the acting is spot on.the storyline is very original as i have never seen anything like this before and i don't think anyone will ever try to copy it.

if you're thinking about viewing this title and you haven't seen it already i suggest you get the tissues ready.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
" I knows you think I's a powerful man, but the darkness scares me boss "
thinker169129 October 2009
The world is teeming with wretched prisons wherein all manner of men are housed. Because these men are said to have committed a crime, the places are manifest and most men serving there, have earned their stay. However, as history has shown, there are innocent men incarcerated as well. Occasionally, one of these innocents are not only imprisoned, but are further remembered because their life becomes legend. In this case, the realization is nothing short of incredible as the new prisoner is a natural empath. Steven King the prolific American horror writer, chronicles this unusual story in a Louisanna prison where one Joe Coffee, (Michael Clarke Duncan) a huge, nay, enormous Black man, having been convicted of murder, is sentenced to be executed, by electrocution. Tom Hanks( And Dabbs Greer) plays Paul Edgecomb, an aging Prison Guard, who recalls his years in the state prison. Working on 'Death Row' or " The Green Mile ", Mr. Edgecomb recalls Mr. Coffee's arrival and the strange events during his stay. With sympathetic Guards, like Brutus Howell (David Morse), Dean Stanton (Barry Pepper), Harry Terwilliger (Jeffery Demunn and one particular sadistic guard called Percy Wetmore (Doug Hutchison), Edgecomb recollects his discovery of the man's unusual healing powers and the surprising revelations concerning his innocence. The story is crafted by Steven King and it's application to the silver screen is perhaps one of the finest adaptation ever done. Duncan is magnificent and has a superb ability to allow the audience to learn his true purpose. Were it not for the sadistic behavior of Hutchison, who earned his ultimate reward, the story would not have carried it's genuine sympathetic awe which gave this movie it's Classic status. A great film and a must for true movie fans. ****
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A rare gem
Rockford_619 August 2008
Tom Hanks, in my opinion, gave the performance of his career by bringing emotion and depth to his part. The only actor that bettered him was Michael Clarke Duncan. How he made this giant like character into a vulnerable pussycat was a marvel. On whole, the cast came together and gave the best performance I have seen in a movie for a long time. Not one of them let the side down by being weak. David Morse who is more known for his supporting roles was also excellent and hopefully not long till he's carrying his own movie. The Green Mile isn't a movie about hope and friendship, as The Shawshank Redemption was, it is a movie about a miracle of a man, and the people he affects.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simply Superb.
santhosh_ssr9 August 2013
The Green Mile.... Yet another movie which made me cry.

Outstanding work by Frank Darabont. Both his prison dramas "The Green Mile" & "The Shawshank Redemption" are real class!

This film is beautifully written and perfectly cast. Michael Clarke Duncan delivers the performance of his career. There are scenes in this film that will make you quiver, and there are scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat until you cry.

Tom Hanks once again provides a strong support for a talented ensemble cast.

Darabont's skills as a screenwriter that even after three hours, he can bring the film to such a good, solid conclusion.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It will stay with you for a long time.
transylvanianfairy11 July 2013
The Shawshank Redemption is possibly my favorite movie ever. I had seen many movies before it, and I've certainly seen a lot after, but not many of them made me feel what that one did. Now, I have that feeling again. And once again, it comes from watching a Frank Darabont movie. I couldn't possibly explain the overload of emotions I experienced in the 3 hours it lasts. I have laughed. I have felt the emotions of every character. And most of all, I have cried. Very few movies have touched me like this one. Is there something to say about the acting that hasn't been said before? No, it isn't. You may have heard it is flawless, incredible, whatever. You did hear right, it absolutely is. I can't think of anyone in the whole movie that wasn't convincing in the least. The script has its funny moments, but it's incredibly deep, poignant and heartfelt. The characters are so "human" and unpretentious you can't help but adore them. But, well, there will be some you'd like to strangle. There has to be a villain everywhere, right? The Green Mile is a movie I will hardly forget. You can't possibly forget such an emotive story.

What, you want to watch it? Great! But don't forget to have grab some tissues first.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Right next to Shawshank!!!
stallone-929 March 2008
Frank Darabont directs another masterpiece adapted by a Steven King novel.Sheer brilliance at its finest.Tom Hanks makes perhaps his greatest performance as the corrections officer Paul Edgecombe who doesn't believe in miracles until he sees one.While Tom and the others all shine in their roles I think that Michael Clarke Duncan deserves most credit as his magnificent portrayal of John Coffey-a convicted 8 foot tall giant murderer.He is accused in the killing of two little girls and sentenced to death.With time however Paul starts to wonder if the gentle hearted Coffey really did commit the murder.The movie has so many emotional moments that it's hard not to sympathize with the characters.The deep emotional drama of some of them is mentally pressuring and you become connected with these people - again expertly accomplished by Darabont who perfectly understands the source material and sticks close to it.Like Shawshank before it the movie teaches us the value of human life and how strong each one of us can be.This is achieved here similarly as again there is an innocent man put in prison but unlike Andy John is touched by God.He is a magical being who calls forth sympathy and by the end the audience is so аttached to him that the somewhat tragic ending is quite sad.As his previous movie Mr Darabont creates yet another fantastic film sure to stay in your heart for a while.Steven King should be proud.
Tom Hanks In Another Overrated Overblown Film
Theo Robertson20 November 2002
***** POSSIBLE SPOILERS ******

Aw come on guys how can anyone vote this film into the IMDB top 250 ? First of all it features the most unconvincing prison officers in the history of cinema who are wetter than drowned fish , there`s no way these guys would get jobs as bleeding heart social workers never mind become guards on death row . Secondly this film is just so predictable ( Which is why I warned of possible spoilers ) there`s no way the audience can be taken in that John Coffey is guilty of murdering a child , and likewise you just know that Percy ain`t gonna enjoy his pension . Thirdly am I alone in thinking Percy didn`t deserve his fate ? He`s surrounded by murdering scum so what do I care if he breaks inmates fingers and lets them suffer in the chair . At least Percy acts in a believable way and consistent manner unlike his colleagues Fourthly this film lasts more than 3 hours and there`s hardly any plot twists that saved THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION from accusations of being overlong

All in all a very overrated overlong film based on a very weak Stephen King story . The fact that King`s original novellas were marketed through a gimmick says a lot about the uninteresting story . Is it any surprise that no one wants to adapt King novels for the big screen these days ?
28 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this