Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998) Poster

Once upon a time...
grendelkhan25 March 2004
...A filmmaker decided to do another rendition of Cinderella; and what a beautiful rendition it is!

Cinderella was always my favorite fairy tale, but this movie, at first, looked like yet another poor updating. Imagine my surprise when I watched it on video. It was beautiful, funny, thoughtful, smart, and wonderful. It brings the romance of the story fully to life and touches the heart. Sure, there are errors in history and anachronisms; but, it's a fairy tale. King Arthur wouldn't have worn plate armor, either.

Drew Barrymore delivers her best performance ever. The accent is a bit distracting, but she is consistent with it, unlike certain Robin Hood's I could name. She delivers on the promise she demonstrated as a youngster and brings those Barrymore genes to life. She handles the comedy as ably as the romance. You laugh when she first hits the Prince with an apple (pretty good shot, too!). You ache for her as her world seems to fall apart when Prince Henry learns the truth. You cheer when she renders justice to her oppressors.

Dougray Scott is a fine handsome Prince, a thinker as well as a fighter. His eyes are opened to the world he lives in by this passionate girl. Angelica Huston really adds the evil to the "evil stepmother". The rest of the supporting cast are uniformly great.

The addition of Da Vinci, if historically incorrect, is a nice twist on the Fairy Godmother. Who better to help a child of reason and enlightenment?

This is a true romance, a rare thing in today's movies, including the so-called "romantic comedies." It is a wonderful piece of work and a fine update to a classic tale.

And they lived happily ever after, indeed!
111 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sob!
tsfpwde23 May 2001
Isn't it what most people dream of? Prospering despite the difficulties in their lives? Finding their true love and being with him/her despite the odds?

This movie is most definitely not a retelling of the Cinderella story. It has aspects of that, the basic plotline, but a twist all its own. Gone is the pumpkin and the rats into footmen. Gone are the ugly stepsisters, the two equally horrid. No, in this one there is naturally one horrid stepsister, but the other is quite lovable. Dougray Scott is marvelously funny in his role as a Prince trying to find his way, and Angelica Huston is a brilliant evil stepmother, and Drew Barrymore makes a stunning Danielle... With other quirky characters thrown in along the way. Gustave, DaVinci, even the King and Queen are given personalities. The detail is incredible, the costumes gorgeous, and the dialogue enrapturing. This movie is counted among my most favorites, and I highly recommend it to any with a passion for romance.
82 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved - loved - LOVED this movie!
segacs5 February 2005
Cinderella is a timeless classic, a fairytale for all ages. And "Ever After" is pitch-perfect as an adaptation of the Cinderella story to screen.

As a fairytale, this movie follows a predictable pattern and storyline. It is sweet, light, innocent and beautiful. Stunningly beautiful. The cinematography is one of the stars here and this is a fabulous movie to watch - for the scenery, the costumes and the visual effects.

Anjelica Huston steals the show as the evil stepmother, but Drew Barrymore puts in a fine performance here, and Patrick Godfrey is wonderfully eccentric as Leonardo Da Vinci. Overall, this is not so much a movie about the acting, but it's more about the sometimes sappy, usually saccharine, but wonderfully heartfelt classic story. Instead of the magic of the original fairytale, Ever After replaces it with the "magic" of wit, humour and heart. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Funny and charming, Ever After is one of those great movies that can be watched over and over again.
50 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful Love Story
LeadingLadybug12 February 2006
"Ever After" is a wonderfully imaginative romance. It's a classic Cinderella tale set in 16th-century France and revolves around an independent young woman named Danielle. Although she works as a servant for her stepmother, Danielle is anything but weak and subservient. She is passionate and strong-willed, qualities that lead her to the French court dressed as a wealthy courtier to save a man's life. There she meets the handsome Prince Henry, who is jaded by his suffocating royal lifestyle. He is fascinated by Danielle and her thirst for life and adventure, and they fall deeply in love - but her jealous stepmother will do anything to keep them apart.

Drew Barrymore turns in a stunning performance as Danielle. Her emotions are raw and realistic and she gives the character charm, wit, and beauty.

Anjelica Huston brings a third dimension to her role as the "evil" stepmother, who is usually just portrayed as a flat character. In this movie she is an ambitious mother who would do anything to make her own daughter a queen.

The Prince is also usually a pretty flat, cliché character, but Dougray Scott brought a refreshingly human side to him and portrayed his struggles and conflicts very well.

The script is strong for a romantic fairy tale and the cinematography is gorgeous. There is one scene in which Danielle is floating on her back in the river, a dreamy and breathtaking moment that describes her carefree nature perfectly. The music composed by George Fenton is lovely - I recommend the soundtrack for this movie too, especially "Walking On Water."

A wonderful movie for all lovers of romance! 10/10
53 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
...and they lived happily ever after; but what happened before that?
Kristine12 February 2004
I remember when this movie was released, I saw it so many times in the theater with my friends. We were 13, perfect age group for the film and we adored everything about this movie. It's years later and I bought the movie on DVD making me wonder if the movie did hold up as well as I remembered. Well, it doesn't hold the same magic as I saw when I was a kid, but Ever After still holds a certain charm that is absolutely irresistible. I think between the writing and the characters, this was a great update on a classic story. Every little girl has dreamed of being Cinderella, the girl who has been dumped on her whole life and then the man of your dreams comes to save you as you live happily ever after. Drew Barrymore takes lead through this charming fairy tale of a strong woman with the good faith that one day things will go as they should and she'd live in a utopia.

Danielle de Barbarac is a young girl who lives in a manor with her widowed father whom she adores. When Danielle is eight, her father marries the haughty Baroness Rodmilla de Ghent, who has two daughters about Danielle's age. Soon after, Auguste dies. Rodmilla is envious of Danielle, and treats her like a servant after Auguste's death. The Baroness has fallen into debt. Marguerite, her spoiled older daughter, has grown to be cruel, arrogant, and bad-tempered; while the younger, Jacqueline, is kindhearted, soft-spoken, and constantly overlooked. In the orchard one day, Danielle encounters a man attempting to steal her father's old horse. She pelts him with apples, knocking him to the ground, and is horrified to learn that the man is Henry, the Prince of France. Henry explains that his own horse was lamed in his attempt to escape stifling royal life. He forgives Danielle in exchange for her silence, and rewards her with money. Danielle resolves to use the money to rescue Maurice, an old family servant whom Rodmilla had sold. While her step-family is out of the house, Danielle dons a noblewoman's dress and goes to court. She finds Maurice about to be shipped to the Americas, and demands his release. Prince Henry sees this and is impressed with Danielle's intellect, strength of character, and beauty. Danielle refuses to tell Henry her name, though eventually she leaves him with the name of her mother, Comtesse Nicole de Lancret. Leading him to want to speak with her more only to fall in love with her not knowing that she is a true Cinderella.

I still like this movie very much. Drew and the other actors may not have a great accent but they still all tried their best. Angelica Huston, what a great choice as the wicked step mother and I use that term lightly. There is this beautiful scene between her and Danielle, she starts to tell Danielle about her father and how Angelica barely knew him, you see a sense of humanity in her and then she starts to look at Danielle with love but realizes how hurt she still is that her father cared more for Danielle than his own wife. You understand how she could be angry and jealous, not justifying what she did to Danielle, but her motivation is understandable and I love the punishment she receives for what she did. There's still a scene that gets a great reaction from me, when Marguerite just spitefully tells Danielle how her mother is dead and Danielle just goes up to her and gives her one hell of a punch, I think that's when I fell in love with her! What strength was given to the character making the film more than just a "happily ever after" film, but a wonderful fairy tale with enjoyable characters, a wonderful romance, humor and most of all leaves you with a smile on your face.

28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie ROCKS!!!!
Jenni6 August 1998
I am going tonight to see Ever After for the third time in three days. This movie is wonderful! Drew Barrymore does a fantastic job as Cinderella - and what a cinderella! None of this 'wait for the prince to rescue you' nonsense! I like the movie because Danielle (Cinderella's "real" name) wins the prince because she is passionate, outspoken, well-read, and won't take nonsense from anyone! And the costuming! Drool! Why don't *I* ever get clothes like that?

I really like the fact that Danielle makes her own dreams come true instead of hoping they will turn out right - what a wonderful role model (I know *I * am inspired!) I laughed and cried and bit my fingernails (I am NOT supposed to bite my fingernails) and crumpled the napkins for the popcorn into hopeless little balls. The characterizations are wonderful. The scenery is gorgeous and the actors and actresses do such a wonderful job at making their characters come alive. I just cannot say enough good things about the movie - by all means go and see it!

Jennifer 8)
64 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Ever!
Moonlyn13 February 2005
To me this was the best remake of a fairytale ever! And I don't care if it's because I'm a girl and this is girlie material- I still loved it! Drew Barrymore personified this interpretation of Cinderella like no other. Angelica Houston was a kick ass evil stepmother. The combination of these two dynamite stars in these two classic roles created an unequaled magic. And of course let's not forget the freakishly handsome Dougray Scott who played Prince Henry. He graced the screen with a hypnotic charm that challenges any prince any day. This is my all time favourite movie. I can watch it over and over again. And I challenge any man to watch this film and understand what romance is really all about.
84 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not just another Cinderella..
Grrl8 August 1998
I think Ever After was a great movie, and a must see for everyone. It's not just a "kiddie movie". Drew Barrymore plays a great and convincing Cinderella, or as Margerite called her, "Cinder Girl". It isn't like the Disney movie, way different. For example, the girl is named Danielle, not Cinderella. There is a nice stepsister.. and there is no Fairy Godmother, but Leonarod Da Vinci, a guide to Danielle and the Prince.

The thing that really made me want to see this movie is what Drew Barrymore said in one of her interviews..

"It's so wonderful, because all girls love Cinderella. She is really a positive rolemodel. From everything to being fiercely loyal, and incredibly smart, and well read, to not only not waiting to be rescued, but to rescue other people, to take the pain that she's experienced in her life, to only have it strengthen her. And, also the fact that her heart and her mind is what is attractive and intriguing to this wonderful prince, and not the way she looks."

Drew Barrymore played a great Cinderella.. Angelica Houston a wonderful stepmother.. and D. Scott played a great prince. If you haven't seen it yet.. you must! It's a great movie for everyone! Just Breathe..
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mesmerising
Monika-517 February 2000
A modern spin on the fairy tale "Cinderella". When I first went to see this movie in the theatre, I was very skeptical as I'm not a Drew Barrymore fan but she absolutely shines as Danielle and has great chemistry with Dougray Scott as the handsome and funny Prince Henry. I love the scenery and costumes, and all the characters are wickedly funny. The story is very endearing and absorbing as well. Don't miss this movie!
39 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kick-Ass Cinderella
gbheron29 April 2000
Cinderella kicks butt in this feminist retelling of the classic fairy tale. Orphaned as a young girl, Danielle (Cinderella) is raised by her evil stepmother and two stepsisters in rural 16th century France. After a few chance encounters with the crown prince (who falls in love with her), Danielle finds herself on a collision course with her family who have royal designs of their own. Shot on location in France, the dialogue often veers very close to preachy, but knows when to cut the politics and return to the story. And a good story it is, well acted by Drew Barrymore as Danielle, and Angelica Huston as the wicked stepmother. This one is worth the rental.
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Atrocious
Mrs Rainbow26 February 1999
Well, I can't say that I'm surprised by how popular this movie was/is. When films like Titanic and Saving Private Ryan are being raved about as the greatest films ever made, discriminating taste is obviously not part of the mental movie-watching equipment required to get into the theatre.

Ever After is simply one of the latest additions to that growing list of subpar, lavishly praised movies. I won't even get into picking apart the plot or the acting. My primary complaint, similar to my beef with Titanic, is how we view, and more importantly - depict, the past through the glasses of our own neuroses and prejudices.

In Titanic, the assumption was that for Rose to truly be free, to be human or real, she must spit over the side of the boat and engage in drunken revels, while her fiancee goes to discuss politics over cigars. (get it, ooohh boring!) Her fiancee was not a character, but a caricature, the donkey on which James Cameron could pin the tail so that all those in the audience could squeal. We collectively engaged in trashing the past while we, the more enlightened ones, sat in the theatre congratulating ourselves and willing Rose on to degrade herself in the back seat of a car.

Now take Ever After. The Leonardo character was presented as such figures always are in popular cinema: a harmless, grandfatherly, "eccentric" old "artist." For eccentric read: cute, cuddly, quirky, the Barney the dinosaur element of his soul conquering the Botticelli/Donatello aspect. He wasn't a great man, he just knew how to paint real well. It was the Reader's Digest version of an artist. Emphasize what we have in common with the great souls, what they liked to eat for breakfast. Democratize them, make them harmless.

Prince Henry I found even more pathetic. Sorry, I really don't think he had the same need that we do in our industrialist era to make gooey distinctions between who he was and what he did. The line (slight paraphrase?) "I want to be loved not for my position, but for who I am" almost had me wretching into my popcorn. Come on! I wouldn't want this guy ruling my nation. Maybe I'd let him work in the field, where he could make helmets out of daisies and walk around in those boots that Leonardo made.

I realize some of you are saying, Hey, it's a fairy tale! So? Even the "serious" historical films are doing this. And obviously we're not learning enough history to counterbalance the lessons we're getting from our forms of entertainment. Therefore, everyone who came before was like us, and we are the apex of civilization. So let's all emote together. I'll pass, thank you.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My all time favorite movie ever.
realovable5 December 2013
Ever After. A Cinderella Story.

What an entertaining and magical movie. The main character Danielle (Drew Barrymore) is what drew me to the theater. I just love her charisma and charm. Unlike her girl next door norm she was very intriguing in this movie, playing an independent, strong headed, feisty peasant is a sharp contrast to anything I've seen her in before.

While this story is supposed to be a version of Cinderella, it takes on twists of it's own. There is no fairy god mother. Instead there is a charming intellectual inventor Leonardo Da Vinci (Patrick Godfrey). Rather than two hideous step sisters there is one awful yet beautiful sister and one plain but kind sister. It holds true to the peasant falling in love with royalty and the prince coming to save her but this story tells so much more. The king and queen were given personality and the story gives much insight to the untold story and challenges in the life of a Prince. It helps that Prince Henry is played by a very eye catching and witty actor (Dougray Scott).

Everyone loves a happy ending and this movie did not disappoint. The director built up the characters so well that you sob along with Danielle when Prince Henry pushes her away after learning the truth but then celebrate along with her when he comes to save her from the evil clutches of an adoring yet creepy wealthy man who purchases her from her step mother. As always Anjelica Houston played a wonderfully evil role and did it with class and maliciousness that only she could bring to the film.

The writers, producers, directors and cast come together for the most triumphant Hollywood win since Casablanca. I have seen this movie a dozen times and I hope to watch it a dozen more. Two thumbs up doesn't seem to sum it up. I only wish I had more thumbs!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
THE MOST ROMANTIC MOVIE :o)
TUTY1279284 July 2004
I just love it from the first time I saw Ever After. I have always been very romantic on where I have also dream of a prince and still waiting for one. Isn't great to love someone with out boundaries? We all look for a twin soul who which you would like to share the real you with one another. It is just a great movie. I believe that Drew Barrymore gave life to that love we all would like to feel for one day for someone an impossible love combined with pain and real truth of the heart. All of our realities we live through romantic movies are created by dreams and hopes but we can make it happen by just letting go and accepting one another in our future dreams. Barrymore has a great personality and sense of humor I hope the best for her and she will go far now because she already made her dreams come truth. now is our turn to make ours come truth :O)
26 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The biggest surprise of the summer!
Mr.Movie-29 September 1998
After seeing the trailer for `Ever After', I was anxious to see the film because it appeared to be an original, adult retelling of the familiar fairytale that would appeal to a wide variety of moviegoers. When I finished watching this wonderful film, I thought that I had seen one of the best movies released this summer! And because I work in a theater, I have been able to confirm my notion that audiences of all ages (from pre-teen females to elderly couples) would enjoy this film. Drew Barrymore is tremendously appealing in the lead role, Dougray Scott is a refreshing new face that I am anxious to see again in other roles, and Anjelica Huston was terrific as the stepmother, not entirely wicked, but certainly faithful to the tale. The interesting twists concerning the stepsisters and the `fairy godmother' are just two more innovations that enhanced the appeal and character of `Ever After'. And let us not forget about Pierre LePeu as realized by Richard O'Brien, perhaps one of the most reprehensible characters I have ever seen in a conventional character-driven motion picture. I intend to add this film to my video collection as soon as it is available despite having seen it many times on the big screen. "Ever After" is, in my opinion, the most surprisingly satisfying moviegoing experience of the 1998 summer season.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly Enchanting
Tania_Chesala_R12 March 2010
I loved this movie when I was 15 and equally love it now that I am close to 27. This movie is refreshing compared to the romantic comedies we are bombarded with today. For today romance of this kind is branded to be 'unrealistic' which makes me love this movie even more. She never slept with him before she married him, never had an ex, didn't turn into a drunk or drug addict, never had to talk incessantly about her career, no ridiculous night club scenes, relied more on her intelligence and wit then her looks and what was wonderfully refreshing was prince charming was exactly the same. They really don't portray couples like this anymore. Which makes us think they don't exist........but they do.. bravo for Ever After!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
intellectually compelling
Ninsen15 May 2004
If you're looking for a good movie with class, politics and vengeance, this is the piece to see. Danielle (Drew Barrymore) is a French commonor who's a victim of circumstance because she's a "slave" for her step-mother and step-sisters. I really liked how the prince of France gets intrigued by her upfront personality as she "tells it how it is." It's a good inspiration to those who don't fit in because it encourages them to take stands toward change. It wasn't a fairy tale that I'd get bored of (though a lot of friends did). It clearly portrayed the lifestyle of 17th century France which creates a compelling comparison from the 1600s to modern day life. I'd strongly recommend it to those who aren't into those hollywood romances and dramas. I rate this film *****.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two excellent actresses stuck in a mediocre "empowerment" fable
Cathy Young5 June 2000
I have absolutely no problem with a revisionist, "feminist" retelling of the Cinderella story in which the heroine is a more assertive and self-reliant character -- as long as it's well done. The problem is that "well done" is not a phrase I would use with regard to "Ever After." I suppose it's an OK movie if you're a 13-year-old girl, but it is an insult to the intelligence of any adult viewer, male or female.

The movie is ALMOST worth seeing for the wonderful performances of the radiant Drew Barrymore as Danielle (the Cinderella character) and the deliciously wicked Anjelica Huston as the stepmother, Baroness Rodmilla de Ghent. (Then again, I saw it on cable and didn't even pay the price of the rental.) But these fine talents are wasted by an inane script with banal dialogue, characters who are both improbable and trite, and absolutely no sense of historical reality.

I understand, of course, that this is not a historical film and is based on a fairy tale. Yet the filmmakers chose to move it to a concrete setting in 16th Century France, and to introduce such real-life characters as King Francois I and Leonardo da Vinci. If they do that, they should make at least a minimal effort to strive for some historical accuracy. Yet the royal couple behaves more like modern upper-middle-class American parents; what we get here is a family with all the glamour of royalty and none of its class prejudices. There's also a lot of confusion about the heroine's social status. She is repeatedly described as a commoner, yet her name is "Danielle de Barberac"; the "de" is generally a signifier of nobility. In fact, normally under the laws of that time, if the Baroness had married a commoner, she would have assumed her husband's status and become a commoner herself (and if Danielle was a commoner, so was her father).

I don't mind Cinderella being reinvented as feisty, independent or educated. However, when she is turned into an intellectual, a champion of social justice, AND an amateur athlete and swordwoman all wrapped into one ... well, that's a bit much.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD***

I can accept the scene where Danielle rescues Prince Henry from the gypsies by hoisting him on her back and walking off (after the gypsy leader promises that she can leave with anything she can carry). In fact, I don't know if the filmmakers knew this but this scene resembles an allegedly true story from the Middle Ages when a city was under siege by an enemy force, and as part of the terms of surrender, the leader of the enemy forces promised to let all the women leave town, taking away anything they could carry. The women walked out of the city carrying their husbands on their backs.

On the other hand, the scene where Danielle gets away from the evil aristocrat to whom the stepmother has sold her as a slave is simply laughable. She holds a rapier to his throat, forces him to hand over the key to the shackles he has put on her, and simply walks out of his castle free as a bird. How ridiculous. The moment the rapier wasn't at his throat anymore, he would have simply either run after her, tackled her and thrown her to the ground, or called his servants who would have grabbed her. I guess it was so important to make sure that she wasn't rescued by the prince but rescued herself that reality could fall completely by the wayside.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Your aim would suggest otherwise
petra_ste31 July 2016
I have a special affection for Disney's classic Cinderella (1950), but I acknowledge its main message is problematic, with a female protagonist passively enduring a lifetime of abuse only to be rescued first by magic, then by marriage. I can understand the purpose of a version with a more proactive heroine. Which is what EverAfter attempted to do... except it's garish, tone-deaf and poorly cast. Looking at director Andy Tennant's uncannily bad resume, it's hardly a surprise.

Drew Barrymore is appealing in a girl-next-door kind of way but, with her tomboyish look and feel, she comes across as a teenager playing dress-up. Far worse is Dougray Scott as the prince. Scott is a handsome chap, I guess, but there is something cold, almost reptilian about his glare, which made him ideal as the anti-Cruise villain in Mission Impossible 2 - not so much as a romantic lead. Anjelica Huston at least is better cast as the baleful stepmother.

Tennant glues scenes to each other with no regard for build-up or coherency. In a twist worthy of a soap opera, the heroine is sold into slavery (?) to some evil ruffian. Once inside his castle, she grabs a sword and orders him to unchain her. You now expect some kind of narrow escape sequence, evading guards and so on... except, the movie just cuts to her walking out of the castle with a satisfied smirk. Wait, what? Did the evil guy turn to stone? Did he live all alone in that huge fortress? It defies not just logic, but also the basic rules of storytelling; it's grotesquely anticlimactic.

Even visually, here's an example of how little thought went into EverAfter. During the final confrontation, the stepmother is dressed in the same shade of deep green as the nice stepsister, while the wicked stepsister wears red. It doesn't make sense! You want to VISUALLY ASSOCIATE the two evil characters and make the good one STAND OUT. It may be a nitpick, but the movie is littered with this kind of sloppy choices.

The movie features Leonardo da Vinci as a secondary character. The Italian genius has not been lucky as far as his cinematic appearances are concerned: between this, the Bruce Willis bomb Hudson Hawk, a cretinous potboiler like The Da Vinci Code and Paul W. S. Anderson's The Three Musketeers, it's ironic how a man of such legendary intelligence tends to be referenced only by stupid movies. His most enjoyable cameo may be in the comedy Non Ci Resta Che Piangere... where he is portrayed as dumb. Go figure... poor Leonardo.

A Still Memorable Cinderella Story
lia0002712 June 2010
I've watched this movie when the 1st time its released on theater and now after 12 years it still gave me a deep impression and remarkable Cinderella fairy tale love story. By not seeing the flaw this movie is enjoyable and easy to watch, the heart-warming drama plot is suitable for all ages and genders. The quality acting of the actors are superb compare to newbies nowadays. I don't really interested whether this story has received many critics since in this story it happened in France but they spoke English with English accented, etc the point is this movie is great and it ended nicely with a happy ending and unpredictable process into it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie, with a little of everything.
clorby7 February 2004
Ever After is a fantastic movie, one I can watch again and again. I'm not one for gushy romance movies, but this isn't one of those at all. It is funny, happy, sad, romantic, dramatic, basically it has a little of everything. Some parts no matter how many time I see them I laugh every time, even if I can quote them too. Drew Barrymore puts on a spectacular performance, it is in my opinion one of her best films so far. You can feel the emotion, and I even cried a few tears twice, (and I hardly cry for movies, except The Horse Whisperer). All the actors and actresses chosen for the cast were perfect fits. Anjelica Huston makes a very believable evil step mother. Dougray Scott is the perfect handsome prince, and has the attitude yet sensitivity required for the role of Prince Henry. Patrick Godfrey made a funny Leonardo, and Melanie Lynskey was perfect for the role of Jacqueline, the quite not-so-bad stepsister. This however is probably more on the lines of a chick flick, but it isn't one that you think of usually when you think of a "chick flick". It was just a great, well rounded movie, that will captivate you into the story again and again. But If you are expecting the traditional Cinderella story that the cartoons and books have brought us, you might be surprised, but not at all disappointed.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Preferred rendition of the Cinderella Story.
Elswet31 December 2003
Regardless of how closely this follows the original telling, this is a lovely, endearing, and compelling tale, told as the "real" story of Cinderella. It does not matter whose version was original, from which country it was told, or who the players were (Prince Henry of France in fact married Catherine de Medici, a member of the Italian nobility, not Drew Barrymore's character.), this movie is pure magic.

In this reviewer's opinion, this is the very best of Drew Barrymore's work. This is her greatest role, her greatest portrayal, her best movie. Period. For that fact alone, you should see this attempt, but let me continue.

The acting is spot on, the sets and costumes were meticulously designed, the writing involved here was flawless, the directing was pure professionalism, the flow was smooth, the tale was the best-told tale I've seen in years, and the finished product was a masterpiece.

I was, and am, enchanted by this film, in every way. This is the "adult version" of this work, but I also still admire (greatly) the Disney collector's edition gift set of Cinderella.

It rates a 9.7/10 from...

the Fiend :.
Eh...
aleusong27 April 2009
I'm female and I was a teenager when this came out. Technically, I'm about the target audience for this film, but I didn't like it. A bit boring and depressing for me to watch.

I'm also find these sorts of butt-kicking but intelligent and day-dreamy feminist heroines to be very annoying. I find it hard to believe that a heroine whom we are supposed to believe is capable of taking care of herself would put up with so much **** in the movie by her stepfamily than she did. If this girl is capable of kicking a guy's butt near the end of the movie then this same girl should've been capable of kicking her stepfamily to the curb...but then again, we wouldn't have the Cinderella story that is the whole point of this film.

I absolutely hated Prince Henry and it's hard to believe that anyone could fall for him (or that he could suddenly have a change of heart in a split second). And yeah there is the issue of characters that are supposed to be French but have English accents, but when you're making a film targeted toward teenage girls, I guess these filmmakers thought they could get away with just about anything.

As for me I found this interpretation of Cinderella to be so boring and lifeless I couldn't care less. Nothing wrong with a little magic and character like the classic Disney animated version has over this one.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
better than you think
orias6 December 1998
if i hadn't seen "the making..." on tv i'd have given this one a miss. much better than i expected, especially for someone who never liked cinderella in the first place.

true, the script wasn't very original and sounds quite contrived at parts, but point is, it's really enjoyable to watch while you're in the cinema.

never mind if there's not a lot to scream about when you want to scrutinise production fine points later. we could nitpick on realism and detail, but my guess is this movie wanted more to be a good story than a period piece.

a few exquisite subtleties were missed even by some of the audience. one of them is the quick flash of pained confusion that crossed Rodmilla's features when her dying husband had last words of love only for his daughter.

conclusion: this movie - like the heroine - was funny as well as beautiful, had loads of impulsive guts, and created the most responsive cinema audience (you should have heard this crowd cheer, clap and how one guy shouted "Way to go, sister!") i've had the pleasure of being with in a long time.

quite a catch :)
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A more modern re-telling of the 1729 Cinderella story, very well done.
TxMike9 August 2001
By all rights a film based on the story of "Cinderella" should not be a favorite of 50-something grandparents. But it is. Drew Barrymore is just perfect as the strong-willed stepchild trying to bear up to the mistreatment of her wicked stepmom, played by Angelica Huston. Whereas the typical Cinderalla stories depend on magic - the glass slipper and the pumpkin, etc - this version is based solidly in reality, and it works very well. Dougray Scott is fine as the Prince looking in the kingdom for a bride. This story is not historically correct, but it is a movie, isn't it. A clever use of da Vinci, with his inventions.

I never thought Angelica Huston was particularly attractive, and here she is perfect as the wicked stepmom. Jeroen Krabbe' is well-cast as the dad who dies right after the wedding. The script and acting work very well, the scenery and photography are beautiful, and the product is an overall fine movie, I rate it "8" of 10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this