A Bug's Life (1998) Poster

(1998)

A Bug's Life: Not Just Art, But Heart
Flik4 January 1999
(originally a response to a movie reviewer who said A Bug's Life was too much, too fast--he was "dazed and exhausted" by the visuals, and seemed to ignore the story completely)

Okay, first off, I'm 26 years old, have a job, go to school, and have a fiance'. So maybe I'm nuts and just really good at hiding it...but not only did I NOT come away from A Bug's Life exhausted or dazed, it wasn't until I saw it the second time that I could even begin to truly appreciate the artistry and humour of the spectacular visuals--because the first time I went to see this movie, I got so wrapped up in the story and the characters that I FORGOT that I was supposed to be sitting there being "wowed" by each frame visually. How can you not empathize with Flik and his road-to-heck-paved-with-good-intentions life? "Heck" indeed, I found myself identifying with that little ant (not to mention some of the other bugs) in a lot more ways than one...and that, in itself, says more to me about what an incredible movie this is than a whole book on its beautiful eye candy. Of course, it's beautiful (every blade of grass, the tree, the rain...). Of course, what they can do with technology is amazing (you can read their lips! try it!). But this movie is not just a masterpiece of art and tech, not just an dazzling explosion of movement and color. No, A Bug's Life would be static if it were all that and no story. But, I'm glad to say, it's not! A Bug's Life has real heart. Yes, there's a lot going on, storyline-wise as well as visually, but that's because the story and characters actually have some depth to them! Just because it's a kids' movie doesn't mean you should have to turn off your brain at the theatre door--kids are smarter than you think! Besides that, I think that the PIXAR crew made this for themselves, even before their kids...and it shows, in the amount of heart in has. This movie is moving, touching, funny, intriguing, and generally engrossing. The character development in such an ensemble cast is amazing, there's a major amount of character growth, and not just of the main character--so rare in animation and often in movies in general. It doesn't hit you over the head with its points once it's made them--every scene, every frame has a reason in the storyline for being there, and there are no gratuitous shots. Not always stating explicitly in words exactly what is going on means subtlety, to me, folks; it means not "dumbing down" your movie and assuming the audience is stupid, which it mostly is not. All I can think is, if you can see A Bug's Life and not feel anything at all, then you must have never made a big mistake, hurt your friends, had a crush, fallen in love, been frustrated that no one would listen to you, lied to someone you care about, felt like a social misfit, gotten excited over a new idea, come up with a great idea, had what you thought was a great idea backfire, been awkward one moment and confident the next, felt the pressure of responsibility, stood up for yourself and your loved ones, stood alone against the crowd, felt like a failure, felt like a big success, felt the need to make a difference with your life in the lives of others...well, you get the point. Final words: A+ rating from me; please, if you're going to see it try to see it in the theatre (pan and scan video is NOT going to work for this movie); if you loved Toy Story you'll most likely love this (PIXAR knows how to make movies with heart); if you do love it see it multiple times or you STILL won't know what you're missing (the amount of detail and subtlety here is considerable); and whenever you're feeling really low, just pretend it's a seed, okay?
84 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Wow.
Peach-213 May 1999
There is great detail in A Bug's Life. Everything is covered. The film looks great and the animation is sometimes jaw-dropping. The film isn't too terribly orignal, it's basically a modern take on Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, only with bugs. I enjoyed the character interaction however and the bad guys in this film actually seemed bad. It seems that Disney usually makes their bad guys carbon copy cut-outs. The grasshoppers are menacing and Hopper, the lead bad guy, was a brillant creation. Check this one out.
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This movie is good eatin'!
Steven-106 December 1998
"A Bug's Life" is like a favorite candy bar -- it's chock-full of great little bits that add up to something really tasty.

The story couldn't have been better; it's clever, has "heart" (emotion), and every character has a nice "arc" (a growth or change). By comparison, the only characters in "Toy Story" to have an "arc" are Buzz, who learns to love being a toy, and Woody, who overcomes his resentment of Buzz. There are tons of laughs and cute moments in "A Bug's Life". All of the actors turn in great voice work, and the animation, both the motion and detail, is superb.

This serious movie buff doesn't throw around "10"s lightly, but this movie certainly deserves the "10" I gave it.
58 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An amusing animated fantasy for all ages
soranno5 November 2002
Several of Walt Disney Pictures' best animated films of recent years have been released or distributed through Pixar, an animation studio that specializes in computer generated animation and "A Bug's Life", their follow up to the hugely successful "Toy Story" ranks as one of the best and funniest Walt Disney Pictures animated films. Released during the same month as a similar computer generated animated film, "Antz", "A Bug's Life" suffers no bad comparisons because I consider it to be just as good as amusing as "Antz." The main focus of the film is Flik, a worker ant who has a very inventive mind and keen eye for detail. He means well but his attempts at helping his fellow ant colony with his ideas and inventions usually cause accidental disaster. One day, the ant colony set up a tribute display for a bad grasshopper named Hopper and his gang but Flik accidentally knocks it down. Hopper is very upset by this and he threatens to kill off the entire colony if they don't build him another provisions pile by the time he inspects the area again. Flik decides to help. He has only a few days to find some "warrior" bugs that can stand up to Hopper and his gang. He comes across a group of disgruntled bugs that had just been fired from their gigs at a flea circus. Flik decides to bring them back to the colony and recruit them as warrior bugs. An inventive idea for a children's film with much of the same humor and ideas that helped to make "Toy Story" an animated classic.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Funniest film in a long time
Ahmad-423 December 1998
This is a FUNNY film. It has all the usual Disney components (music, great range of characters, story, appeal), entwined with superb animation and the excellent voice talents of less well known actors as those in say "Antz" and "Price of Egypt".

The characters work really well, and have a strong appeal, and the humour is aimed at a wide level which overcomes generational barriers. The movie is also presented in superb cinemascope format, which adds to the cinema experience.

Call me crazy, but I have seen the film three times, and I intend on taking more friends to see it this weekend. Many skeptics have seen this film on my recommendation and not been disappointed. I work in a multiplex, and I can honestly say that no-one has ever walked out of this movie without a sense of satisfaction.

See it, and don't be put off because it is animated. You are sure to enjoy this movie, and make sure you stay for the end credits! The bloopers and out-takes at the end are the funniest part of the film, which is packed with laughs throughout.
44 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
an animated delight
MichaelOates20 May 2004
This animated feature about ants, grasshoppers, and various other bugs is an inspirational testament of never giving up despite the odds stacked against you.

The story begins as Flick, voiced by Dave Foley, the ant who always invents things one right after the other. After the grasshoppers come to invade the food supply, Flick comes up with the idea of getting warrior bugs to fight the grasshoppers. Not only will this idea give Flick respect it will allow him to get redemption as he has messed his prior invention up. This epic journey starts as Flick goes in search of the warrior bugs; he finds them in Circus bugs. Consumed for Princess Atta, voiced by Julia Louis Dreyfuss, and her approval, Flick hides the fact that these "warriors" are in fact circus bugs.

I was smiling throughout this film because it was the one of the best animated features I've seen. Furthermore "A Bug's Life" far eclipses "ANTZ" because this film has a point, storyline, and direction.

The ending is no surprise as far as the typical ending goes, but this is definitely a delight worth seeing on the big screen. I recommend this movie because it allows the mind to sit down and relax and without tension watch the movie in peace.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Super Disney Flick!
Jean Palmer22 March 2012
"Bugs Life" was blasted by the critics upon release, springing from the bowels of Disney not too long after the almost identical "Antz". However, as a stand-alone movie, it is difficult to fault. The characters and backgrounds are beautifully rendered but still look like computer animations. That might sound stupid but for those who think computer graphics can equal live-action, this film serves to debunk that idea. It does look good, no question, but compare this to the computer wizardry behind Gollum in the "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy and you'll see what I'm getting at. This is not much of a criticism though - it would be akin to disliking Scooby Doo (the series) because nobody says "Zoinks!" when they're scared.

I must confess, I rather enjoyed this film. It is imaginative and colourful and full of zest and energy - exactly how a kids film should be. The humour is a little on the basic side (dumb insects falling into walls and references to "poop-poop") but again, this is what you would expect. Another reason that "A Bug's Life" got the cold treatment from critics was because it simply wasn't as entertaining to adults as the "Toy Story" films and I'm afraid I agree. But what the film lacks in cross-generational appeal, it makes up for with enthusiasm and story-telling. It does for bugs what The Flintstones did for neolithic cavemen, fitting outsiders into our own everyday lives. Flick, the rebellious ant at the centre of the story, produces telescopes out of grass and water. Piles of rubbish are portrayed as vast cities and the characters, good and bad, behave as we might. Credit for this must go to the top-notch cast of voice actors including Kevin Spacey, David Hyde Pierce, Denis Leary and the others. Probably the only let-down was John Ratzenberger who sounded exactly like Cliff from "Cheers". Still, nice to know he's getting work after all these years.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Great animation
CharltonBoy18 October 1999
A Bugs Life is a great film that is not just for kids but for adults too. The story is set around a colony of ants and their struggle against the evil Grasshoppers who come back every year and steal their food ( A Mirror of the Magnifiscent seven). There is some wonderfull computer animation and the voices are great too. You will love it!! 8 out of 10
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A fun insect adventure from Pixar
Tweekums15 October 2012
Every summer the ants must harvest grain for the coming winter; not just for themselves but for the bullying grasshoppers who demand half the harvest. One of the ants, an inventor named Flik, tries to find ways to make the harvest easier but the other ants aren't impressed; they prefer the old ways. When the grasshoppers come all the ants flee onto their anthill but as Flik adds his contribution to the pile he knocks it over and it is all lost. Hopper, the leader of the grasshoppers tells the ants that they must provide twice the normal amount of grain before the end of summer or they will take all the ants food and let them starve. Flik offers to go into town to get some warrior insects to fight off the grasshoppers when they return; his offer is accepted... not because he is expected to succeed but because it will get him out of the way. The only ant that has any faith in Flik is Princess Dot, but she is just a child. In town Flik meets a group of unsuccessful circus insects and mistakes them for warriors. He returns home a hero, but when is becomes apparent that they aren't warriors the colony appears to be doomed.

This isn't one of Pixar's best films but it is still a lot of fun; the story is simple enough for young children to enjoy without being so simple that older viewers will get bored. Most of the character designs are great; I particularly liked the grasshoppers and the various circus insects. The only character design that I though was poor was the bird which is strange as it was probably the creature that looked closest to its real counterpart; perhaps that was the problem... it had no 'character' it was just a dangerous creature whereas everything else was anthropomorphised. The voice cast, which includes Kevin Spacey and a young Hayden Panettiere, do a fine job; I never though they sounded too 'cartoony'. Being rated 'U' there is little to offend here although some parents might find one or two of the gags involving the male ladybird a bit crude and there are some mildly scary moments that could possibly upset younger children.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Flaming Death!…A Bug's Life
jaredmobarak25 November 2007
When watching A Bug's Life for the first time in a long while, I couldn't help but see the comparisons with last year's Happy Feet. As far as the main storyline goes, they are very similar, an outcast doing what he can to fit in while also attempting to be special. It just goes to show you how much better that film could have been without its liberal diatribe conclusion. A lot of people disagree with me when I say that I really like Pixar's sophomore effort. Sure it doesn't manage to capture the splendor of Toy Story, nor is the animation out of this world. However, the story is top-notch and the characters are wonderful to spend time with. With plenty of laughs and a moral center to boot, I could watch this one just as much as the studio's other classics.

There is a lot about finding strength from within to conquer all odds here. Between our lead Flick needing to keep his self-esteem up to save his colony, the colony needing to open their eyes onto a new way of living for the future, and the circus bugs finding that they are more than just untalented sideshow freaks, everyone evolves into a better bug by the end of the story. Even the villain Hopper is fully fleshed and menacing for the right reasons. He is not doing it to be mean, but instead understands the fact that the ants outnumber him 100 to 1. He needs them to fear him in order to not have to worry about them finding out the truth. It is very much a circle of life, but not one that can't evolve with the ages.

When thinking about the animation, it is actually quite good. Compared to Antz, the rival film of the time, this is much more realistic and less cartoony. The water is rendered nicely, as is the foliage. You don't have to look much further than the ants' eyes to see how much detail went into the production. The reflections and moistness, despite the smooth exterior, shows the realism. All the bugs are finely crafted too. The flies in the city and the crazy mix of creatures recruited to save the ants are never skimped on, whether for a small role or a more expanded one. It is also in the city that we see the workmanship on the environments. While Ant Island is nice, it is just the outdoors. Bug City contains plenty of garbage doubling as buildings and clubs. It is a great showing of humor and inventiveness to see what the animators used for everything. From the ice cube trays as circus stands, the animal crackers box as circus wagon—complete with full nutrition guide on the side—and crazy compilation of boxes to create a Times Square of billboards and facades, everything is done right.

As far as much of the humor, you have to credit the acting talent for wonderful delivery and inspired role choices. No one could do a male ladybug better than Dennis Leary with his acerbic wit. I dare you to think of someone better. Our leads are great too with Dave Foley as Flick and Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Princess Atta, as well as the always-fantastic Kevin Spacey as Hopper. Spacey not only steals many scenes from the movie, but also takes center stage in the bloopers during the credits. Yes, A Bug's Life was the originator of animated outtakes from Pixar, a tradition that has continued on. With many tongue-in-cheek bug jokes laced throughout, you also have to give props to the huge supporting cast. Full of "those guy actors," it is people like Richard Kind, Brad Garrett, and the late Joe Ranft as Heimlich the worm who bring the biggest laughs.

Overall, it may be the simplest story brought to screen by Pixar, one that has been told in one form or the other numerous times over the years, but it is inspired enough and fresh enough to deliver an enjoyable experience. There are joyous moments, sad times, and even action packed scenes of suspense with birds coming in to join the fun. Complete with a couple of my favorite Pixar characters, Tuck and Roll, there isn't too much bad that I can think of saying about it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Bug's Life is really funny!
TheLittleSongbird18 February 2009
Critically, people say that Antz is better. Antz is a good film, but I enjoyed Bug's Life a bit more. I can't remember a Pixar animation, other than the two Toy Story films, that I was laughing so hard. The animation is clean, the story is original and doesn't preach. The voice overs are what make this movie. Dave Foley is an earnest ant that gets himself into trouble a lot. Hopper is a superb characterisation by the always wonderful Kevin Spacey, as is Haydn Panettiere as Dot . There is also sterling support from Dennis Leary, David Hyde Pierce and Madeline Kahn, and I could go on and on. The script is fantastic, so funny and sometimes even touching. It lacks the social messages of Antz, but what we have is rock-solid entertainment. 9/10. Bethany Cox
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
One of the Most Endearing Bug Stories
Chrysanthepop23 April 2009
The strongest point of every Pixar movie I've seen is that they all have heart. While the excellent colourful animation has been consistent in quality, it's the soulful stories and memorable characters that we love and return to with each viewing. 'A Bug's Life' has always been on my to-watch list and I finally bought the DVD yesterday. It's already become a favourite after first viewing. The animation is beautifully detailed and the motion is brilliant. Not only are the characters wonderfully illustrated but also the background is given plenty of detail. Moreover these characters are so adorable as they are superbly brought to life that you'll fall in love with them. The voice cast that includes talents like Bonnie Hunt, Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Dave Foley and Richard Kind do a great job. Clearly, Pixar does not depend on stars (unlike Dreamworks) and they rather focus on the material by creating it with heart. 'A Bug's Life' is another winner from Pixar that I'll very likely be revisiting again and again.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An engaging film for all ages
ToldYaSo24 April 1999
You will marvel at the incredibly sophisticated computer animation, and the novelty probably won't wear off on the first, second or third viewing, but you?ll be drawn in by the characters which are so simple yet intriguing, that you may find yourself actually caring for them in an unexpected way, which may or may not make you feel a little childish due to the medium.

Disney continues to firmly hold the title of "Greatest Animation in the World", with "A Bug?s Life" standing as one of their greatest achievements. One of the innovative attachments being the delightful "out-takes" added to the end of the film. The DVD has two sets of these out-takes where as I?m told the VHS cassette has one alternating version per tape. The DVD also features "Gerry?s Game" which is a delightful little PIXAR short that was also shown prior to the film in theaters.

This is by far the superior insect-film in comparison to Dreamworks? "Antz", which in all fairness is pretty good, but lacks something in the animation and in the story development and characters. If you look at the star voices of both films, "Antz" is largely cast with big name "movie" stars with a few familiar "TV" star voices, where "A Bug?s Life" is just the opposite, loaded with "TV" stars with Kevin Spacey as the only stand out exception. But the difference in quality is distinct and obvious.

Dreamworks can?t be blamed or surprised though, when you go head to head with Disney, you have your work cut out for you. This is the kind of film that almost makes me wish I had children to share it with. Don?t think for a second that this is just a movie for kids, though.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A classic
Brigitta Falcini4 December 2012
This was my favourite movie as a kid, or at least one of them. You can't go wrong with this film. It's different and clever, pure Pixar genius. Yeah the animation might be a bit dated but it's still brilliant. It's like old movies, the quality of the camera/film might not be so good but the film itself is brilliant. No child can't grow up without watching this at least once. Hopper used to terrify me! All in all, FANTASTIC film that's funny and enjoyable for everyone, no matter their age. Pixar, as usual are fantastic. They're one of my favourite film companies because I've seen all their animated movies, bar Cars 2, and each film is amazing and really enjoyable. You learn something and they're enjoyable for everyone. (Sorry have to write minimum 10 lines and I'm running out of things to say!! Haven't watch A Bugs Life in a long time but I'm just about it :D)
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
An Early Demo Model For DVD
ccthemovieman-128 April 2006
This was one of the first of the new animated films that came out when DVD was just beginning to catch on, and this really helped sell the new format by giving us a very sharp picture, bold colors and a fantastic 5.1surround sound, all a vast improvement over the VHS. In this instance, the sound was most impressive aspect.

The story is pretty good with interesting characters, mainly the circus performers. As in most of these modern-day animations, there are so many astounding sights and sounds it would take many viewings to catch them all.

The only negative in the movie is the typical Disney plug for the gay agenda. Here's it's the ladybug being really "a man in touch with his feminine side." Other than that, the film is family-friendly and far better than another animated film that came out at the same time: the profane and crude "Antz."

This isn't a laugh-out-loud film but there are many amusing and clever lines which makes it fun for adults, not just the kids.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Very Good Piece of Animation!
g-bodyl8 October 2008
A Bug's Life is a very good animated feature. This movie is for younger children, but it is also a great movie for people my age. The story is about an ant named Flik. He brought havoc onto his colony when he destroyed the food that were for the superior grasshoppers. He gets banished and he must find bigger bugs to fix the mess. This movie is a classic because it is a good movie and it is a Pixar movie. The animation is brilliant especially for the late 90's. The story is good, but a little more detail would be suffice. The voice acting is good as with most animation movies. The music is nice to listen to. Nothing special, but it earned an nomination for one of the music categories. Overall, this movie struck me as awestruck. This is a good movie for all families. I rate this movie 10/10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Disney's adaptation of Karl Marx and Frederick Engels' Communist Manifesto.
cogs14 July 2002
"A Bug's Life" is a Disney adaptation of Karl Marx and Frederick Engels' Communist Manifesto.

Basically it's about how the proletarian worker ants unite to fight the oppressive bourgeois grasshoppers who control the means of production. In doing so the ants learn the valuable lesson of unionism and equality as they seek to alleviate power from the autocratic grasshoppers.

Once the totalitarian regime is destroyed-no thanks to tricks or chicanery, but rather due to the imposition of democratic principles-then we learn that all the ants live happily ever after. The end.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Love this over Antz
J Gessner13 February 2012
Why only four legs????
Andre Valenca22 December 2001
The movie is really great. The details and the expressions of the bugs are fantastic. But, I did not understand why the creators put only four legs for the ants and other insects. That´s why I gave a 7 for this movie.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Fun, but no wit or style
Rekkit7 February 1999
A battle is being waged on the frontier of technology. Oh yes, the computer generated film swing is in full effect, bringing the joys and ecstacy of worlds fantastic. But why oh why must script and story suffer at the hands of silicon?

"A Bug's Life" is a simple tale of Flik, an ant with a passion for invention. Obviously this makes him a hit with his fellow colonists, who fear new ways, and therefore dismiss the ideas as sheer madness. And following a diastrous incident involving the fearsome grasshoppers, Flik is sent to find help in defending the ants against the grasshoppers when they return for their offering. And instead of warriors, he finds and recruits a group of recently fired circus acts, including a caterpillar who can't wait to be a butterfly, a labybird who is often mistaken for a girl, and a pair of woodlouse who speak not a word of English. And so, Flik returns with the troop to fight the enemy. Of course, nothing runs smoothly, and with the Princess Atta on the watch, it's gonna be tough.

"A Bug's Life" is by no means a bad film: there's plenty to keep the kids entertained, and it's fun to watch as the story unfolds. But where's the humour we came to expect from the likes of "Toy Story" or the similarly themed "Antz"? The script is predictable and bland with no twists. And the characters remain two dimensional in their 3D universe. Fun for kids, but little of interest for those who relished the multi-layed humour of "Toy Story".
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the weaker Pixar movies, but still enjoyable.
Jesper Brun24 November 2017
Pixar really started at the top with the spectacular mega hit Toy Story which still holds up as a great story with great characters. That isn't exactly the same with their second feature A Bug's Life.

The story is not that unique to begin with. Heck, Pixar had a ton to live up to after the surprise of Toy Story, so it is forgivable. Flik is our neurotic main character who longs after being special, but is rejected by his colony which must provide food to feed the tyrannical grasshoppers, lead by Hopper, to avoid them attacking the colony.

Given the fact that Dreamworks' Antz came out shortly before A Bug's Life they are quite similar. I guess you know the controversy surrounding those two movies.

I think they both a good in their own ways, and what makes A Bug's Life good is the colours and the circus bugs as the comedic addition to the plot. They are the highlight of the entire movie and can make both kids and adults laugh.

In my opinion Hopper as a villain is also doing a great job. When his colony of grasshoppers arrived at the ants' near the climax used to scare me as a kid. Their tall and menacing figures slowly emerging from the fog is bone-chilling.

All in all, A Bug's Life is a good children's movie and adults may also find one or two things enjoyable, too. Mainly the circus bugs, though.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An adorable kids movie...
Taylor Kingston12 April 2015
I really like this movie. It's cute, adorable, sweet and fun-loving with lots of comedy aimed at young viewers. Don't get me wrong, this movie can be enjoyed by adults, such as me. I was a child when I first saw this movie and now as an adult, I still really enjoy it.

In this movie, we step into the world of bug's and see how they live. It's so cool. Every year, a bunch of mean grasshoppers comes to the anthill, our main characters, and eat what food they have collected. How rude is that? Anyway, one day, when preparing the food, Flik, accidentally drops some of the food and now the ants don't have enough for themselves and the grasshoppers. The grasshoppers give the ants one more chance to get the food, so Flik sets off to find bugs that are willing to help them stop the grasshoppers reign of terror, once and for all.

Fun Fact: Robert De Niro turned down the role of Hopper.

Overall, I give this episode a 7 out of 10.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A Bug's Life is A Little Insight Into How People At Pixar Work, Imagine, Create & Entertain Us.
CinemaClown7 October 2013
After dazzling everyone with its unforgettable debut that revolutionised the entire animation industry in the long run, Pixar Animation Studios' follow up to their highly revered Toy Story is another wonderful piece of imagination, innovation & animation that once again presents a unique take on life but this time from a bug's point of view.

The story of A Bug's Life follows a misfit ant who thinks differently yet only ends up causing more trouble for his colony so when his latest escapade wastes away all the food ants had gathered to offer to the greedy grasshoppers, he decides to make up for it by finding & recruiting tough warrior bugs to save the entire colony from its oppressors.

Directed by John Lasseter, A Bug's Life marks Pixar's second consecutive home-run & just like their previous feature, brims with so much creativity & passion that the narrative it puts on the silver screen remains finely balanced in storytelling department and is then taken to the next level by further refinement & advancement in their state-of-the-art animation.

There are wide range of bugs to be found in this fable and the animators have done a fab job in envisioning, designing & rendering all of them. While none of its characters manage to be memorable, it's the sum of the parts that makes it click. The themes it deals with are nicely addressed, humour is effectively used, score is lightweight but fitting & it never loses its sense of fun.

On an overall scale, A Bug's Life is definitely one of Pixar's most underrated films that may not have anything as memorable as the studio's best works but it nonetheless scores high marks in all filmmaking aspects to make up for an enjoyable & entertaining ride that viewers of all ages can benefit from plus delivers its message of 'strength in unity' with remarkable simplicity & effectiveness.

In many ways, I find it to be a reflection of Pixar's very own modus operandi for it offers an interesting insight into the way these talented minds come together under one roof for the sole purpose of envisioning, creating & stringently refining stories that are fun & entertaining but also not devoid of heart, soul & emotions, with an added incentive to be able to do that without compromising with the art or quality of its medium.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Great movie from my childhood
samueljoewaugh19 May 2012
I first watch this back in 1999 remembering it very well, Disney really knows how to capture a child's heart and there movies are always so colorful, the animation for its time was really something great, this is one of the first animated films i ever saw, please don't hesitate buying the DVD, its a great family movie with lots of action and fun for everyone. the detail in this movie is really top notch and the vocal performances are wonderful. so all i can say is its a classic. It's better than the last several Disney animated films. PIXAR has stated they want to be the second successful feature animation studio. They're already there. every movie they create always is a huge success and favors very well.