The Mummy (1999) Poster

(1999)

1,007 Reviews
Great Adventurous Fun!
BaronBl00d23 July 2000
Certainly this Universal remake is more in the vain of Indiana Jones rather than the original Mummy. It is high on adventure and comedy, and wins because of it. The sets, scenery, special effects are all first-rate. The film is fast-paced from beginning to end and is very suspenseful. Stephen Sommers again shows his talent as a director for creating action-packed adventure with a high level of comedic overtones. The cast are all very good in their roles, yet none of them seem really to be taking themselves or the film too serious. Brendan Fraser is an affable hero, and Rachel Weisz makes a good heroine. Good support comes from John Hannah, Kevin J. O'Connor, and the mummy, Arnold Vosloo. Also a real treat was seeing Bernard Fox in a small role as an aging British pilot. Don't expect the old mummy of lore in this one, but sit down and have one heck of a ride...a rollercoaster of hijinks in the sands of Egypt.
69 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun in the vein of "Indiana Jones"...
MovieAddict20167 October 2003
"The Mummy" is an adventurous yarn in the vein of "Indiana Jones." It's a lot of fun, very charming, and never tries to be more than what it is. What is it? An entertaining summer flick which is not only worth seeing, but perhaps even owning. It's one of those fun movies you can return to over and over again and never grow tired of doing so.

It's hardly a remake of the Universal classic of the same name. It's merely a new way to tell the story with the same basic idea - a murderous mummy is brought back from the dead. This time we have a hero and heroine who must stop him before he takes over the world, or something along the line of world domination.

The hero is Rick (Brendan Fraser), a thief thriving off the very basics out in Egypt circa 1930. Arrested and to be hanged, he is saved by the heroine (Rachel Weisz), who believes he may hold the key to helping them find an ancient Egyptian kingdom buried under the sand, if I recall correctly (though it has been a while since I've seen this). Little does she know what lurks beneath the sand near that old kingdom is none other than the remains of a man who was caught cheating on the king's wife years ago and mummified.

Now, after unearthing the remains of the kingdom, the expedition led by our heroes come upon an ancient "Book of the Dead," which, when read from, brings the ancient mummy back to life. Now he is out to kill, regenerate and bring back his old lover - pretty neat, huh?

I own "Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy," a great movie spoofing the classic film. "The Mummy" isn't exactly a spoof but it's very tongue-in-cheek. It knows it isn't an Oscar-winner, it knows it stands nothing against the older film, and so it goes for pulp thrills. I actually believe that this film is a bit classy in execution - compared to many other entertainments floating around nowadays it stands as one of the only films to return to the roots of the pure adventure films like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981) so successfully did.

Brendan Fraser is a perfect choice for the lead star. Calm, but with ironic and sarcastic humor; cool, but a strong lead. I wondered what it would have been like if they had casted an actor in his role who would have taken it all more seriously. I bet the results would have been disastrous. Fraser knows that this is all good fun, and he's having a good time playing his role with comedy. Every once and a while you can catch a wink at the screen that lets us know that he knows what he's doing.

2001 brought a sequel to "The Mummy" named, of all things, "The Mummy Returns." I found it just as fun as this film though some critics begged to differ. Summer 2002 brought yet another "Mummy" film, this one a prequel called "The Scorpion King" - it was a following of a co-star of the first sequel. The Mummy was not in it at all. It was a horrible film that wasn't near as fun as this one. So I recommend you see "The Mummy" as soon as humanly possible. After that, see "The Mummy Returns."

Either way, you simply can't go wrong.
112 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not much Horror, Just a Good Movie
mjw230525 January 2005
Rick O'Connell (Brendan Frazer) leads the beautiful Evelyn Carnahan (Rachel Weisz) to Hamunaptra (The City of the Dead) where reading from a book brings Imhotep (Pharaoh Seti I's High Priest) back to life.

Once revived Imhotep has only one purpose in this world, to bring his love 'Anck Su Namun' back from the dead to join him, and will kill anyone who gets in his way.

Although based on a Horror Theme, there is little horror on show here, but there are plenty of Great Action Moments, some brilliant visuals and some good humour.

The dialogue is well written and punchy, this combined with some great characters bring the story to life and it turns out to be a terrific Film that is more Action/Comedy than Horror.

76 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun adventure film
bjones6 July 1999
Here, the makers took the original stock horror film and turned it into an Indianajonesesque adventure in the tradition of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The most visually rich part of the film was the opening scenes set in ancient Egypt. I would love to see an entire film built around that. The sets and costumes were brilliant.

Especially tantalizing is the strictly painted-on attire of Patricia Velazquez as Anck-Su-Namum; what a stunning visual; but it completely upstages her performance. I have heard people talking about it. Some have mistakenly guessed her top was a mesh costume of some sort; not true, it is entirely - and only - paint.

But Velazquez isn't the only thing to turn heads in the film, Rachel Weisz is appropriately attractive, though not as startling; her character is as solid and believable as she is lovely.

The newcomer, Oded Fehr as Ardeth Bey, set quite a few female hearts aflutter; in our party, at least. The internet was lit-up searching for more photos of this guy.

At first, I didn't particularly care for Brendan Fraser as the primary character (he's too well kept and cutesy for a rugged guy-type for me), be he grows on you. He seems to be developing into a versatile actor who will be around for a long time. His work here is good too.

The special effects were the real star of the film, and they were visually rewarding and complimented the story in the right way in the right places. How Arnold Vosloo dealt with those in his role as the mummy Imhotep should be acknowledged. He must have had to imagine quite a bit of what he was interacting with to pull it off, and he does so with great style and substance for this type of role. He was nothing short of excellent.

In fact, most of the remaining characters were well chosen. Jonathan Hyde and Kevin J. O'Connor added to the film in important ways, too. Together, everyone painted an enjoyable film, delivering exactly what it promised; fun, action, and adventure.
134 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Superb Action Adventure !
gatsby224430 April 2005
This is one film that caught my imagination like very few other Hollywood action films I have seen before.Yes,on the face of it,this is another sci-fi action adventure,a surefire winning card for Hollywood -what's so special about that ?Oh yes,there is !To begin with,there is the scenery at the beginning of the film that completely blows you away,making you feel that this movie could be something above what you had expected.And you are not wrong.The first surprise is Brendan Fraser as the American soldier Rick O'Connell, who accidentally stumbles upon Hamunaptra,the city of the dead,where the wealth of Egypt's greatest emperor Seti the First is buried.After seeing him in "Airheads " ,"Dudley Do-Right " and " "George Of The Jungle",I was very very impressed-this is one actor who can do both comedy and action and look good doing it too !Then there is the beautiful Rachel Weisz ,playing Evelyn Carnahan,who teams up with him to find Hamunaptra.She looks great playing her role,and never allows herself to be upstaged by Fraser, matching his brawn with her ever-alive intellect and quick thinking.Kevin J.O'Connor who plays the double-crossing Beni is a very new kind of villain,looking evil and ridiculous at the same time.But when the resurrected high priest Imhotep( played by Arnold Vosloo)makes his appearance in the form of "The Mummy", everything else becomes secondary.This is CGI at its ultimate best,and precisely why the film is so unusually absorbing .The horror and threat surrounding the curse of the mummy becomes a concern not only for the protagonists in the film but also for the audience-how will they kill something this scary and powerful?, they ask themselves. .The special effects apart from the mummy are also a treat to watch,and keep you glued to your seat.The element that makes this film not only scary but also enjoyable is the dialog.Almost every member of the large cast has a one-liner that will make you laugh in spite of the sinister atmosphere surrounding the story.The script never allows one second of screen-time to be wasted, ideally combining action with fantasy and humor,creating a movie that I consider a classic.Director Stephen Sommers has delivered a film that is bound to stand the test of time,and is definitely one of my favorites.
98 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"We are in some serious trouble"
Smells_Like_Cheese24 November 2003
In the 1990's, a stream of remakes came out after the universal horror films with the monsters: Dracula(Bram Stoker's Dracula), Frankenstein(Mary Shelley's Frankenstein), The Wolf Man(Wolf) and now The Mummy made after the same title. The original stared Boris Karloff and is truly a haunting movie. Despite the fact that slow moving mummies are not as scary of a villain, Boris brought in an incredible eerie performance that is so memorable that made mummies scary. How could we update the story to make mummies more terrifying to a newer audience? Make them faster? Make them smarter? How much they could control? How dangerous they truly are? They put a bunch of CGI into the film but somehow despite it being over the top at times, the story is what makes The Mummy into a great remake and respects the original making the mummy scary again.

In 1926, Cairo librarian and aspiring Egyptologist Evelyn is presented with an intricate box and map by her bumbling brother Jonathan, who says he found it. After the pair discover the map leads to Hamunaptra, Jonathan reveals he actually stole it from an American named Rick O'Connell, who is currently in prison. Rick tells them that he knows the location of the city because his unit reached the fabled city, only to be overrun by hostile Bedouins. He makes a deal with Evelyn to reveal the location of Hamunaptra, in exchange for Evelyn saving Rick from being hanged. Rick leads Evelyn and Jonathan's small expedition to the city, where they discover a mummy who Evelyn accidentally wakes up and he's after a band of American treasure hunters who have taken his treasures and wants Evelyn to bring back his true love that he died for.

I really liked the actors they put in this film. I know Brendan Fraiser isn't the best actor, but he really made me believe in him as an adventure hero almost to the likes of Indiana Jones. He's funny, smart, strong, charming and handsome, everything you could want. Rachel Weisz as Evelyn was beautiful, stubborn and smart, she was exactly what all these boys needed and had great chemistry with Fraiser. The humor is a lot, they use a lot of jokes which at times could take away from the film. The CGI is also a lot, but it added to the story and wasn't to the point of unbelievable. I thought the idea of having a faster mummy was more terrifying and that he wouldn't stop coming after his victims in such a horrific way was a great idea. I really did like The Mummy, I know it certainly has it's flaws, but it's just a fun adventure horror movie that really hooks you from beginning to end. The sequels just didn't add up well to this movie, I would recommend The Mummy any day. The haters honestly just don't know how to have any fun, any flawed film could still be a good time and The Mummy certainly is one one them.

33 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The sands will rise. The heavens will part. The power will be unleashed
marco-6725 May 2003
The Mummy is the best mummy movie ever to be made. This movie will blow your mind by its action, romance, adventure and music score. I loved The Mummy because it's one of those roller coaster rides were you just jump on and never let go. The Mummy is a remake of the 1932 mummy which starred Boris Karloff who played imhotep. The Mummy is about an expedition of treasure seeking explorers in the Sahara desert in 1925. They stumble upon an ancient tomb, the hunters without knowing set loose a 3,000 year-old inheritance of terror, which is personified in the vengeful reincarnation of an Egyptian priest who had been sentenced to an infinity as one of the living dead. I love watching this movie in 1999 at the big screen. This movie made me love Egypt a lot. I guarantee this movie a classic. Do not compare this with the 1932 movie. Thanks to director Stephen Sommers which he did a wonderful job on this fantastic film. If you want to see this movie do not watch the 1932 one watch the 1999 one because it will blow you away. Last things to wrap this up Spectacular special effects, Roller coaster adventure, Funny moments, Out of the world music score, Superb acting and wonderful cast. This movie is a 10/10 stars.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly Fun
catmommie12 May 1999
Citizen Kane it ain't, but if you're looking for good, silly, H. Rider Haggardesque fun, this is the film for you. While it hasn't replaced the Universal classic in my affections, let's face it, the venerable original creaks a little. I mean, Karloff's Imhotep only moves two feet per hour -- geez, how will I ever escape him? Arnold Vosloo's Mummy is considerably more fleet, and frankly (from the dirty old lady's perspective) is pretty darned buff for a dead guy. A modern affectation, sure, but I like the idea of a mummy with a great butt.

Brendan Fraser looks good, has a fabulous voice, and a whole boatload of goofy charm. Hey! Call me shallow, but that's pretty much all I'm looking for in a screen idol. John Hannah was acceptable, if not inspired, as the wastrel brother. Rachel Weisz is gorgeous, and acquits herself well in the role of "Heroine in an Adventure Film;" i.e., she screams and gets rescued a lot.

OK, I lie. The modern "Heroine in an Adventure Film" is SPUNKY, screams, and gets rescued a lot.

And as to Oded Fehr, who plays the mysterious desert guardian of the mummy's tomb (a role traditionally assayed by Welsh character actors) -- I and the rest of the ladies in my party indicated, through a series of incoherent grunts and some unattractive drooling, a strong desire to see much, much more of him. And we mean that both literally and figuratively. Powers that be, please take note.

A couple of small caveats: the bug quotient in this film is much higher than I usually tolerate. It puts you right off your Milk Duds. And where in the hell did those camels come from?

So if you're in a mood for brainless entertainment, I recommend that you set your intellect on stun, rush to the nearest cineplex, buy the large popcorn (WITH butter), and settle in for a couple of hours of colorful, loud, over-the-top fun.

Catmommie
129 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bit Overlong, But Still The Word Is 'Fun'
ccthemovieman-11 April 2006
It seems like a long time ago when this came out, but I remember it being the first DVD I had ever bought sight unseen, meaning I had never seen the film in the theater. I was pleased. I got what I had hoped for: a fun, special-effects extravaganza.

In fact, if you read a number of reviews, you see the word "fun" more than anything. That best describes this film.

This was an Indiana Jones-Jason And The Argonauts combination adventure story. It's cartoon-like in nature with an absurd swashbuckling hero, outlandish action scenes and the occult theology that filmmakers love so much. (The Mummy has God-like powers, even producing Old Testament plagues.)

However, the film isn't all good news. It's too long by about 10-15 minutes and there is simply too much action and too much noise. The film needs more lulls.

Brendan Fraser is pretty good as the Indiana Jones figure and Rachel Weisz, a new face at the time, makes a solid impression in her debut. The DVD offered a sharp picture which highlighted a number of jaw-dropping scenes. It's pure escapist fun and not meant to be anything else.
74 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my all time favorite movies
ricsim781 January 2008
First off, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but most of the low ratings I am seeing are criticizing "The Mummy" because of it's "weak plot" or someone even said that this movie could have been written by the person's dog!

Does anyone realize that there is different movie genres? If you go to see "The Mummy" and expect to see "The Departed", "The Godfather", or "Shawshank Redemption" then yes, of course you will be disappointed. This is not a drama, it's an action/adventure movie!

Everyone has commented on the fun of this movie, that is what this movie is all about! Personally, I think the story is very good, and interesting. There is a lot to like here: it has elements of action, adventure, comedy, fantasy, mythology, horror, and tells a pretty well made tale (seriously, how many movies manage to pull all of these things off? And pull them off well!). And, it manages to do all of this in style, with amazing special effects and action sequences. No, it's not perfect (what movie is?) but this movie kills most movies in the same genre! I have never seen a movie that can contain so many different elements while still being coherent. This movie is a technical marvel is many aspects!

Rachel Weisz is great and looks beautiful as well playing as Evelyn. Yes, she is something like a "typical damsel in distress", but she brings humor, intelligence, and a strong will to the part. It's hard to integrate so many qualities into a believable character, but she does it well.

Brendan Fraser as Rick O'Connell: After seeing him in so many goofy movies, playing an equally goofy character, I thought he was always going to be cast in lame movies such as "Encino Man" and "Monkeybones". He was the reason why I had doubts I would like the movie because I could not picture him being more than a one-dimensional actor (able to pull goofy-charismatic off only). Not only does he act the part with stride, but he nails every aspect of his character: He is cool, yet has humor and he really surprised me with how much depth he can add to a role that really doesn't need it! Rick O'Connell wields his dual guns with flair, and I will never doubt Fraser again! I just hope they keep him utilized more and more like this. I was really impressed with him most because he surpassed all expectations!

Everyone else did their parts extremely well, they always stay in character, and add to the elements of the story.

This movie has a lot to offer, and lots of different ways to get your interest, especially if the Ancient Egyptian mythology fascinates you. This movie does have elements of horror: it will most likely scare younger kids more than adults, but putting yourself in the characters places you would be quite afraid.

Imhotep is very scary, mostly because of all the different abilities he possesses, as well as forms he can take.

I could not recommend this movie enough, especially if you have a HDTV and have the High Definition version, you will be blown away! Just don't expect a character driven drama, you're not looking for that with this either!
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome roller coaster adventure!
ochenko-teresa22 March 2012
I will have to say that "Mummy" was an action adventure film in the spirit of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". I know there have been other attempts over the years, but "The Mummy" comes the closest to hitting the mark.

"The Mummy", directed by Stephen Sommers, is the story of librarian and aspiring archaeologist Evelyn (Rachel Wiesz), accompanied by her brother Jonathan (John Hannah), enlisting the help of French Foreign Legion soldier Rick O'Connell (Brendan Fraser) to find a lost Egyptian city. I prefer not to say more as this type of plot is best when the story unfolds before you.

Sommers directing is fast paced. There is never a dull moment, never a talky interlude to break the tone of the action. Every scene in the film is necessary for the plot advancement. Director Sommers knows an inherent part of any action film is to keep the camera moving. There are very few "static shots".

The special effects, by ILM, are fantastic. I was hooked from the opening sweeping shot of a bustling city in ancient Eygpt, beautifully recreated.

Brendan Fraser is a very credible action hero. As Rick O'Connell, he has such a clumsy, boyish charm you can't help but like him. With a half smile and his perchant for the understatement ("You brought a new friend back from the desert, didn't you Beni?"), he is almost the equal of Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones. Rachel Weisz is wonderful as the aspiring archaeologist Evelyn and John Hannah is fun as her near do well missionary brother Jonathan. Kevin J. O'Conner as scared of his own shadow Beni (I won't reveal what his role is in the story) is delightful.

What keeps this film from being the equal of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is the lack of character curve. Unlike Indiana Jones, who learned the hard way to respect powers he can't touch or see, I can't think of anything any of the characters in "The Mummy" learned.

However, "The Mummy" is still rip-roaring entertainment. Sommers and Executive Producer Kevin Jarre (screenwriter, "Glory") wisely created a film with an emphasis on action. They must have figured (rightly so) that any story about the Mummy presented to 1999 audiences would just not be scary, so the tone was changed to action/adventure.

Action films greatly rely on the ability to make the audience believe that what they see is possible within the first five to ten minutes. If this doesn't happen, the viewer will have a poor experience for the rest of the film. Most action films cannot achieve this. They "shoot their bolt" too early, rendering the rest of the film unbelievable. Also, the closer an action film is to related reality, the more difficult this becomes. Like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (still my all time favorite action film), "The Mummy" allowed me to suspend my disbelief within the first ten minutes.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A poor man's Indiana Jones - but still endlessly entertaining
Flagrant-Baronessa18 July 2006
The Mummy is a great summer adventure for nonstop thrills and kicks. It has a lot of humour; memorable comedic performances (Brendan Fraser), fantastic settings and surprisingly striking CGI for 1999. There is little technically wrong with this film other than that is clearly borrows heavily from the King of action-adventure, Indiana Jones.

What begins as a treasure hunt in the City of the Dead soon turns into a plot that essentially goes like this, as described by Rick O'Connell (Brendan Fraser), "Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." The good thing is, there is a lot more to it than that, and unlike Indiana Jones, the male hero is not alone in his mission nor does he get all the credit for it. He is joined by the damsel in distress herself Evelyn Carnahan (Rachel Weisz) and her brother (John Hannah) who all want a piece of the treasure in the dead city.

While the dialogue is typically sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek, it is not desperately punchy. It is probably on par with the Indiana Jones trilogy in terms of cheesy lines. But Brendan Fraser delivers these in a way that is so fitting that it does not really matter, to be honest. Fraser truly gets to shine and show us that is indeed best when it comes to comedy.

This isn't Citizen Kane, but it's NOT 'brainless' summer fun either. It's just a very good adventure story even if it lacks originality.

8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A paradigmatic horror show guaranteed to keep audiences amazed and breathless.
ChoiBaby29 May 1999
From beneath the depths of Hell, the ultimate symbol of evil is about to be reborn. Beyond mortality, beyond death, this creature of the undead will rise. Darkness will fall for all of eternity...and this plague will forever swallow this planet Earth...

About two thousand years ago, in the land of Ancient Egypt, a well-respected high priest known as Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo) has been a very naughty man. His one-stand with the Pharaoh's mistress may very well cost him his life. After the Pharaoh discovers this illicit, forbidden love affair, Imhotep and the mistress murder the heartless Pharaoh without second thoughts. As payback though, Imhotep is to suffer the gravest consequences...

Imhotep is eventually sentenced to die a most horrifying death. The Pharaoh's guards have buried him alive inside a tomb, complete with ravaging scarabs and all. What's even worse is that the guards have placed a disturbing curse upon the buried soul. Whoever opens the tomb of this ancient evil will awaken the curse that has lied dormant for thousands of ears. All shall suffer eternal damnation, as the Mummy will release its unstoppable powers upon the lands and onto the cities. His reign of terror will spread...

For twenty centuries, this soul has rested in peace... Jumping forward to 1925, a bunch of foolish archaeologists, driven by profit and ignoring all admonishments, have decided to open the tomb of the wretched Mummy. Well, that decision was foolish... Now, the armies of the dead will inhabit the Earth and evil will take over... Only Colonel Rick O'Connell (Brendan Fraser) and his brave team of courageous souls can prvent the Mummy's plans to rule the planet. Along with an alluring librarian and inspiring archaeologist (Rachel Weisz), her timid brother (John Hannah), and an even more craven sidekick, Beni (Kevin J. O'Connor), O'Connell and his company of wisecracking Smart Alec folks are mankind's last hope. This though, happens to be another incident where the good guys are at the wrong place at the right time. Heaven have mercy on these souls... Will faith spare human lives, or can the world kiss hope goodbye?

THE MUMMY is so much better than I originally anticipated. The special effects alone will blow you away! It is unbelievable how the Mummy is able to transform himself from a rotting, disintegrating corpse to a fully developed supernatural being, and even to a raging sandstorm. Also, those creepy crawly scarabs scare the daylights out of me! The scarabs literally crawl under people's skins! Impressive production values, capturing and recreating the ruins of Hamunaptra at its full glory, serve as another highlight for THE MUMMY.

Sure, there are also the monstrous zombies, the nightmarish flying locusts, and the fallen skies. Yes, there is also the requisite damsel-in-distress (and love interest) who captures Imhotep's heart. The venomous super-villain who must eat the flesh of others in order to survive is a plus as well. However, director Stephen Sommers (DEEP RISING) transcends beyond cliché material. He brings to the audience original ideas with a refreshingly cool tone. He makes sure that there is style within the special effects. The eye-popping FX in general will keep crowds contented, and then some.

It is tough to keep a straight face when watching this movie, but you have to praise Sommers and the cast for letting you have so much fun. Yes, the dialogue is indeed ridiculous as for some of the sequences. One scene that had me chuckling throughout was when all the slaves were synchronically chanting "Imhotep!" Kevin J. O'Connor finds himself having some of the best one-liners as he may eventually switch allegiances and serve a different master. Yes, the humor is somewhat gratuitous, granted. However, in all sincerity, the humor is needed to lighten the film's dark tone.

The acting is more second rate. Arnold Vosloo made a terrific villain and Rachel Weisz lights up the screen with her gorgeous presence. Fraser and O'Connor are great also. The rest of the cast is kind of listless though. In spite of that, THE MUMMY is a spectacular spectacle laced with show-stopping special effects and genuine chills. The music, composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith is pulse pounding and excellent. The orchestration is wonderful during this film's every thread of suspense.

Overall, THE MUMMY is one of the best blockbusters of 1999. Nonstop thrills and surprises galore highlight this enthusiastic, fun-filled entertainment. THE MUMMY has lots of fun and excitement. The only flaw that prevents this film from being a full fledged four star movie is its occasional lapses in credibility and coherence. At times, this film is extremely ludicrous, but who cares, its fanatically fun to watch. Genre fans, take note.

Remember, you cannot keep the dead buried forever...

RATING: ***1/2 out of ****.
57 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb!
michaelward1030 August 2010
An excellent film, regardless of it's historical accuracy. I watched it today and really enjoyed it. I seriously do recommend you watch it.

If you enjoy an action-adventure film with a few jumpy bits thrown in then this is a definitely must-watch, as I watched the DVD version I do not know what the cut version is like. It even contains a bit of Ancient Egypt at the beginning and Seti I.

This film is not one of those where it gets good near the end, this film is amazing from the very beginning. The prohibited love between Imhotep and Seti I's daughter, murder of Seti I and the mummifying Imhotep and his followers alive at the beginning to the big fight at the end.

If you buy or watch this film you will not regret it.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun!
SmileysWorld16 January 2002
Brendan Fraser may well have established himself as the John Wayne of his day with his thrilling performance here.No one can take the place of the Duke of course,but Fraser approached his character with just the right amount of swagger,wit,and charm.This take on an often told story has all the charm of the old Saturday matinee's of years gone by,and all the thrills of the Raiders of the Lost Ark series.Excellent casting,with standout performances from everyone, particularly Arnold Vosloo,Fraser,and Oded Fehr.Highly recommended.
53 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want my Mummy!
ashleyw9 September 2004
If you are looking for some lighthearted tongue in cheek comedy with a touch of excitement and great effects.... look no further this is it!!

Put your preconceived ideas about supposed horror movies aside (this is not even remotely horror) and sit down and enjoy it.... Brendan Fraser is excellent as is the entire cast..... Mummy II not bad, but skip the Scorpion King if you can...

Story is believable as are the characters (almost) from the modern day Indiana Jones look alike to the evil Mummy... who after all is just smitten with the delightful Pharoh's daughter... she does have a very nice outfit which is just painted on...

Worth buying or renting... A ++
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent film!
x_beckii_x16 August 2008
This film is definitely one of my favourites.

Brendan Fraser did a brilliant job as Rick, he was obviously cut out for the action adventure types, managing not to take himself to seriously but still play a character who isn't just in there for comic effect. Rachel Weisz's Evy undergoes a big transformation over the film, going from nervous librarian to brave mummy-killer, yet still doing the whole thing with a ladylike dignity and propriety, and is a believable heroine, whilst John Hannah is funny and the right amount of annoying as the gambling older brother Jonathan, providing comic relief and helping the plot along. Beni, the annoying, 'friend' of Rick's from the Foreigh Legion also offers us laughs, whilst still being frustrating and almost creepy.

The other characters in the film also live up to expectation, with Arnold Vosloo's performance as Imhotep both frightening and intriguing, and provide a film which is both exciting and humorous, mixing the right amount of 'horror' with laughs and action. The special effects of the film were strikingly amazing, and painted a near-believable picture of a mummy out for revenge.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great mummy movie
Siloty24 May 2008
OK, hands down this movie is just awesome...Probably the best mummy movie.

Brendan Fraser as the gung-ho Rick O'Connel is really funny and one of the characters that just makes this movie so great. John Hannah as Jonothan is good comic relief. one of my favourite seens with jonothan is when he is pretending to be one of the mindless followers of Imhotep.

basically Rachel Weisz' character wakes up a mummy, Imhotep played by Arnold Vosloo (who i must say did quite a convincing job and i enjoyed his performance) and Imhotep sets plagues onto the land of Egypt and wants to resurrect his lost love.

some people may find this movie has some scary parts in it, but its also a lighthearted movie in having comedy in it as well. you could say this is a horromedy.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is one heck of a Mummy movie
Movie Nuttball3 May 2001
The title speaks for itself.This is arguably the greatest mummy movie ever made(well next to The Mummy Returns).You ask why is this the best one?Its the best one because it has a great story,good acting,beautiful sites at how it really was in acient egypt and some of the greatest visual effects ever seen by the human eye!Everything in The Mummy is fantastic!

Vosloo,Frasier,and Weisz and Fehr are very good in it.Lots of familiar faces are in this one too.

Listen to the music,buy the score,its by Jerry Goldsmith!

Oh,by the way,The Mummy Returns is coming out in a few days,the soundtrack is composed by Alan Silvestri(don`t worry,he did a terriffic job) is available now!Buy it,it is the most impressive music you will ever hear!
84 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thanks to Stephen for the great adventure
aurbonavicius21 December 2006
This is a perfect film to all adventure fans. Thanks to Stephen for the great adventure movie. This film has an interesting story and great ideas that help to tell it. When you mix excellent work such as Stephen's directing, Jerry's awesome music, cool ILM's effects, perfect make-up, plus a good story, exotic locations and ancient Egyptian time, subtle humor you get a movie that does not need anything else. I really like Stephen's creativity and the way he freely expresses his ideas. I am waiting for another good project from Stephen. By being a visual effects artist I can say just I wish I was a member of its effects team. Good job !!!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a classic!
dieall8 December 2015
The Mummy (1999) The Mummy (1999) is an action adventure movie directed by Stephen Sommers. Even though The Mummy follows a typical plot like many other action adventure movies, it has something different that appeals to audiences. Based on Egyptian myth, this movie portrays walking mummies, unstoppable Egyptian curses, and mysterious Egypt's historical sites with wonderful computer graphics and sophisticated special effects. The movie begins in ancient Egypt. When high priest called Imhotep (Amold Vosloo) killed pharaoh Seti the first because of his relationship with the pharaoh's mistress. When the pharaoh's bodyguard caught Imhotep, they mummified him alive with a desperate curse and buried him under the city of the dead. 3000 years later in 1923, Evelyn (Rachel Weisz), who works at Cairo library as a librarian, is interested in an ancient Egyptian magical book of resurrection. To find the book, she hires Rick (Brenden Fraser), who is an American soldier, and they take a trip together through the Sahara desert. At the end of the trip, they finally find and read the book. They don't know what will happen after reading the book. They just release Imhotep from the cruel curse. In the movie, almost every action scene, such as gunfights and chase scenes, are filmed using computer graphics and special effects. It is because Imhotep is a perfect source of computer graphic and special effects since he is an undead mummy and has supernatural abilities. It's truly amazing that Imhotep completes his body as he eats men alive and makes gigantic sand storm in the middle of the desert. Moreover, the mysterious Egyptian historical site, where the action scenes are filmed, makes The Mummy even more thrilling. There are many kinds of deadly traps in the set, such as falling ceiling, pressurized acid, and man eating beetles, so audience can enjoy the thrill of near misses. The director of The Mummy effectively combined Egyptian myth with computer graphics and special effects. That's why he can successfully create the strongest mummy in the movie and he was able to make this movie special compared to other movies. This movie will please anyone who is sick of watching ordinary action movies.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mummy is the best movie epic action nonstop ride!
ivo-cobra85 December 2015
The Mummy (1999) is my favorite true nonstop action epic movie!!! Filled with dazzling visual effects, top-notch talent and superb storytelling. It was the second movie i went to see in the theaters in 1999 with my mom as a kid. I was just a teen than I have enjoyed this movie a lot. The first movie in 1999 I went to see in theaters was The Matrix (1999) with also my mom and I have enjoyed both of this movie. Every time I am watching it, I still enjoy it! I had no idea it was a remake of 1932 film The Mummy. I never watched movies from 1938. There were spawned 2 sequels and one prequel/spin-off film. I love and I like both of the sequels on their own way and I hate the prequel/spin-off film. "The Mummy" (1999) was one of the finest Fantasy action adventures of all time. For the Mummy, achieving that level of serio-comic entertainment was unprecedented, and I still do not think it has been duplicated. All the witty dialogue, near perfect script, Dr. Bey... This was a very adult movie, but also for children too, and therefore accessible at different levels. The comments by Ebert, and co. were silly at best, as we have an example of critics turning up their nose at a great film, just to be 'in', be smiled upon by the academy, etc. It was therefore a poor review, a poor appraisal by the twain: this time you should not have used them.

I am keep hearing that this movie is getting a reboot now with Tom Cruise in it but why? Why rebooting this movie? It is stupid! The reboot will fail, even with Tom Cruise in it and It will be rated PG-13 and It want be so good like this movie is. "The Mummy" is more Fantasy than Sci-Fi, and really perhaps should be classified as Fantasy Drama. Nonetheless, the rebooting of "The Mummy" by Stephen Sommers in 1999 would top, or near top, any list in which it is appropriately placed. ... And that ridiculous quote by Ebert & Co,, that this movie was "the son of... the son of ... Raiders of the Lost Ark" is sheer nonsense. This is to imply it is derivative. In a broad sense, all movies are 'derivative', and indeed so was Raiders. It does have a great amount of CGI effects, Yet there were real stages, too, I have learned: such as at Dracula's 'Ball': This was held in some Medieval Church, if I recollect accurately. I thought that the effects were good, though the viewer is perhaps surfeited with them. (...) Nonetheless, though bothering me initially, when I came to 'understand' this film, I look past it now. How much money do you want the producers and the studio to have to spend...? I thought was in perfect harmony with the plot, being grandly that of Good vs. Evil.

This film, and unlike his "The Mummy" of a few years prior, is not 'immediately accessible' and does take repeated viewings to enjoy. This due to the plot's complexity, to appreciate the humor, and to appreciate the acting. Stephen Sommers did well with this movie but did very poorly with the GI Joe movie.I think people take "The Mummy" remake too seriously. It has great special effects that hold up pretty well, charming performances (especially Brendon Frasier, who I'm surprised didn't become a HUGE star after that kind of leading man performance/success. I mean he was pretty much was the Christ Pratt of that era and should have had the type of career upgrade Pratt is getting now. The dialogue is hilarious and very entertaining. I mean we're not talking a classic Oscar winning film here, but an irresistibly fun blockbuster that holds up well 16 years later.

So the actors in this movie were good and the story including the directors were great. Everybody in this movie did a great job. This is one of the best movies ever made. It doesn't get much better than Brendan Fraser battling a 3,000 year old mummy. The action and the Special effects CGI are great. Brendan Fraser did a terrific job playing Rick' O'Connell a Legionnaire adventurer who served in the French Foreign Legion turned out a deserter and later a prisoner, he did outstanding acting performance as a bad ass action hero on the screen! Rachel Weisz as Evie Carnahan did an outstanding and a perfect job as a shy but intelligent Egyptologist. Arnold Vosloo as High Priest Imhotep and the Mummy was fantastic, he is such an underrated actor. Gosh he was even so good in Hard Target (1993) my favorite Jean-Claude Van Damme/John Woo movie. Kevin J. O'Connor as Beni Gabor a former soldier in the French Foreign Legion was just awesome and I loved his performance in the film. Oded Fehr as Ardeth Bay the leader of Medjai was incredible outstanding. This movie is what it is a perfect Adventure movie a like Indiana Jones but a bit too underrated, that shouldn't have been.

Deep in the Egyptian desert, a handful of people searching for a long-lost treasure have just unearthed a 3,000 year old legacy of terror. I am giving this 10/10 for been entertaining summer blockbuster action/adventure/fantasy movie! The best one in the series.

The Mummy is a 1999 American action adventure horror film written and directed by Stephen Sommers and starring Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, John Hannah, and Kevin J. O'Connor, with Arnold Vosloo in the title role as the reanimated mummy.

10/10 Grade: A+ Studio: Universal Pictures, Alphaville Films Starring: Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, John Hannah, Arnold Vosloo, Jonathan Hyde, Kevin J. O'Connor, Oded Fehr Director: Stephen Sommers Screenplay: Stephen Sommers Producers: Sean Daniel, James Jacks Story: Stephen Sommers, Lloyd Fonvielle, Kevin Jarre Rated: PG-13 Running Time: 2 Hrs. 5 Mins. Budget: $80.000.000 Box Office: $415,933,406
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun for the whole family
brendanfam3 December 2015
The Mummy is an action-adventure film in the vein of classics such as Raiders of The Last Ark and The Goonies. It is a movie filled with moments scary enough to make your skin crawl, but in equal amounts moments that JUST make your heart warm. The chemistry between the cast is amazing, especially between the hunky leading actor Brendan Fraser and the ever beautiful Rachel Weisz, who both give an outstanding performance that carries the movie forward as an adventure film with a lot of heart for the whole family.

The pacing of the movie is great, in no small part thanks to director Stephen Sommers, who is also in charge of the screenplay. You really feel like you are along for the adventure, as opposed to just observing it from a distance, as you witness the two leading characters, played by Fraser and Weisz respectively, go from disliking each-other to by the end of the movie being smitten with each-other, brought together by the difficulties faced during the resurrected mummy Imhotep's relentless pursuit to destroy them.

All in all it is a movie you JUST have to see if you're an adventure film enthusiast, which if you aren't, what are you doing? I must warn though to take into consideration the emotional maturity of your youngling when watching this movie with your family, as there are some scenes that might scare young children. But in good company that can handle the flick, it is surely a must see.
Fun Action/Adventure with rewatchability
chriscrawf037531 January 2015
So before I begin this rather short review I will say this, don't watch this movie with Indiana Jones in mind as it has been compared in the past...its just simply not its a "Fun" adventure in Egypt

The Mummy is based around an American serving in the French Foreign Legion on a dig in the ancient city of Hamunaptra.

Personally for me this is the best out of the trilogy of movies. There is a good deal of action and some rather good comedy mixed in with it. Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz and John Hannah make this movie as entertaining as it is, they just work well together on screen.

Overall its a great action/adventure that you could watch over and over again.
I loved it very much
ladyraaga13 April 2014
I don't know why I love it. I've watched it at least a hundred times. I can watch it every day and not be bored. I loved everything about it. The actors, the geography, the story. It is one of those comfort movies that I can always come back to. Brendan Fraser did an amazing job and I honestly wish he would do more movies. There was action, romance, comedy, everything. It felt like the perfect movie to me and it is definitely my number one favorite. I would recommend this movie to anyone. It was just very interesting to see everything. I especially loved the scripting and the casting. Brendan and Rachel worked very well together.