The Waterboy (1998) Poster

(1998)

Revenge Of The Cajun Nerd
ccthemovieman-127 February 2006
I have to admit: this Adam Sandler no-brainer is hilarious, just had me laughing right from the start. I'd rank it in my top ten funny movies of my collection and it features one of my favorite characters in film: Bobby Boucher Jr., a heckuva lot nicer guy than Sandler's "Happy Gilmore."

"Bobby" is about as innocent and a gentle-natured a guy as you'll find this side of Forrest Gump. You can't help but root for him, and that's the idea. What the film basically involves is another "Revenge Of The Nerds" theme except it's "nerd "- singular - as the picked-on waterboy turning the tables on the football jocks. Interesting to once again see Jerry Reed, whom I haven't seen much of since his days in "Smokey And The Bandit." He has much fatter face but everything else looked the same. Then there is Henry Winkler, "The Fonz" who now is the opposite: a guy with a terrible inferiority complex. All the characters in here are wildly exaggerated.

This cartoon-like comedy may not be high-brow, but so what? It's not totally low- brow either, but I do wonder why modern filmmakers cannot seem to make a comedy without all the sex references and the profanity. Nonetheless, Sandler's Cajun accent, his strange-looking-but pretty girlfriend (Fairuza Balk) and crazy mother (Kathy Bates, in the funniest role she's ever played) are all great fun to watch.

It's silly, particularly the ridiculous climactic football game, but then this movie is hardly to be taken seriously. It's all absurd humor, and 90 minutes was just right amount of time for it.
64 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh Come ON!! This was not meant to be high art..just great fun
rdambroso26 August 2005
All of the characters were well developed and entertaining. This movie never pretended to be anything more than it was..a fun, wacky comedy with a bizarre plot. Anyone who beats this up for being dumb should be taken out back and paddled. It is obvious THEY are too dumb to realize that this was DESIGNED to be dumb. Anyway..there are too many scenes that I STILL laugh at today, even though I have seen this 1/2 dozen times. So, if you are looking for the greatest film ever made on all levels..give this a pass..if you can relate to the humor, it's a wonderful hoot! I am not a die hard Adam Sandler fan, but I think he scored a 10 in this one for likability and laughs.
37 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminally Underrated
MellowStello22 July 2019
This has to be one of the most underrated films on IMDB. A timeless, hilarious film.

Compared to the modern PC drivel being released today, this film is phenomenal.

In fact, I'd rather watch The Waterboy for the umpteenth time than ANY of the films released in the last 5-10 years... except maybe the John Wick series.

I don't think Adam Sandler has made a more funny production to date. This film deserves more than a 6.1 star rating... at least worthy of 8 stars.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Check your brain, then get ready to laugh
Steave5 December 1998
A lot of people are shocked at how dumb, unbelievable, and campy this movie is. Obviously they've lived in a cave and never seen an Adam Sandler movie before.

You don't watch Adam Sandler for a cerebral workout. You'll never see him starring opposite Anthony Hopkins or Merryl Streep. Okay, I realize his IS cast opposite Oscar-Winner Kathy Bates, but don't confuse me with details. This movie is just a bunch of jokes wrapped around a weak plot.

Still, the jokes are really funny. I don't usually laugh out loud at the movies, but I guffawed at many parts of this movie. If nothing else, it stimulates the Three Stooges area of the frontal lobe of your brain.

On the down side, Rob Schneider must be a good friend, because his role was obviously a last-minute toss in. Schneider is not funny in this movie and his "lines" are by far the campiest element of this movie.

Still, it was amazing how the crowd with which I saw it reacted to the football scenes in the movie. I looked around and everyone was anxious or cheering like they're best friend was playing in the Super Bowl. Also, this is the hardest I've seen an audience laugh since "There's Something About Mary".

In short, if you can accept the fact that the plot is completely unbelievable and just watch it for laughs, you will enjoy this movie. If you're looking for Oscar-winning drama, go elsewhere.
39 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as funny as I remember
Smells_Like_Cheese15 January 2004
The Waterboy is one of those movies that I really loved as a kid, I was 12 years old when this movie came out and I thought it was just the most hilarious movie I had ever seen. So growing up I re-watched it thinking that I would still enjoy the movie as much as I did when I was younger. But honestly I wasn't laughing as much as I did when I was 12, I think because it was for the most part it was just junior high humor. Is The Waterboy a funny movie? Yeah, I'm not going to lie, I still got a few good laughs out of it; it's just baffling to me that a grown man could make millions of dollars while making baby voices, that's the power of Adam Sandler.

Bobby Boucher, a pretty stupid, stuttering, water boy with anger issues due to constant teasing and his mother's excessive sheltering. He was the water boy for the University of Louisiana Cougars or the past 18 years, but the players tormented him, and the team's head coach, Coach Red Beaulieu, fired him for disrupting his team's practices. He later goes to Coach Klein, coach of the Mud Dogs, and volunteers to work as the team's water boy for free after seeing the filthy water that the coach provides his players. During his first few hours of being waterboy for the Mud Dogs, one of the players spits into the water can. A flashback is then seen when the waterboy was a young kid working for the Cougars. Coach Beaulieu refuses the right for the waterboy to retaliate against one of his players for spitting in the cooler. Coach Klein notices his anger problem and encourages Bobby to stand up for himself instead of letting the players walk all over him. After Grenouille, the team's captain taunts him, Bobby then sees flashbacks of the people that also made his life a living hell. Bobby then effortlessly runs onto the field, grunting and growling in sheer anger and tackles Grenouille, shocking the whole team and prompting Coach Klein to put him on the field, with positive results. Despite his overprotective mother's disapproval, he secretly continues to play football, and also secretly goes to school. He uses his anger to tackle the opposing players by pretending they're the people who made fun of him throughout his life. He quickly becomes one of the most feared linebackers in college football and love interest of Vicki Vallencourt.

While The Waterboy is stupid in a lot of moments, over all it's just a harmless comedy that is just for fun. I still love quoting certain lines to it, especially when Bobby attacks his college professor because his mama was insulted. Another reason I can't hate this movie is that this was the time that Adam Sandler was actually funny and we enjoyed seeing his movies. I think the reason why people just didn't respond as well to this movie as his other films was due to the fact that a lot of his movies are the same plot with a different character: Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison. The Wedding Singer was his first movie that was completely original and that's why it's so well loved. But I still would recommend seeing The Waterboy for a few good laughs, you have to love some of the fantasies that Bobby comes up with, such as "Water sucks, Gatorade tastes better", you'll have to see what I mean, but trust me, it's a good scene.

28 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly but satisfying
Rumples8 August 1999
This movie is a real no-brainer, but if that's what you're looking for then this baby is right up your alley. Adam Sandler specialises in this type of film, switch off the cerebellum and just revel in the stupidity. The Waterboy is not going to win any awards or even make its audience think, but it will inspire some laughs if you let it. As for it being similar to Happy Gilmour, you might as well say that it is identical to half of the movies produced in Hollywood - unlikely hero comes good, gets faced with a difficult challenge, overcomes it an wins the game in the last few minutes! Sheesh, what movie doesn't use this formula nowadays? In short, don't expect too much from the film and you won't be disappointed. My vote 6/10
31 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best sports comedy ever made
rocjames-1665314 January 2020
This is the best sports comedy that was ever made, and a score of 6 is insulting. It just goes to show how many people in the world have no sense of humor.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another score for Sandler!
mattymatt4ever17 October 2001
It's Adam Sandler. Are we expecting a smart comedy, along the lines of Woody Allen and Albert Brooks? Of course not. But like all his comedies, it works. Some of the jokes are truly lame (not in a funny way), but most of them worked. Sandler helped pen the script, so naturally the humor is cheap and juvenile. But everyone, young and old, has a kid or teenager inside of them that is dying to break out. That explains the success of "There's Something About Mary." I'm sure a movie with such widespread success didn't reach only a young audience. When an old man dressed like Colonel Sanders gets hit in the head by a paperweight, call me immature, but I'm going to laugh out loud! Sandler does a great job at awakening the kid in all of us. It's truly evident that the kid in him is fully awakened.

Honestly, I still prefer Sandler's "Billy Madison" (I will always love that movie!) and "Happy Gilmore," but this is a good one too. I never thought Fairuza Balk was hot, before checking out this film. Anyone who has seen "The Craft" knows damn well she looked horrible! And for good reason--she was playing a witch! Here, she looks hot, and walks around in a lot of skimpy outfits--MMMM! No matter how many times I watch this film, I can't help but crack up at Blake Clark as Farmer Fran. God, what an underrated talent! His main gag is you can't understand what the hell he's saying. Sure, it doesn't sound like much on paper--shows how the timing and execution of a joke can really work wonders. He also made a short appearance in "Joe Dirt," so look for him in that one as well. There are a good deal of notable gags: the Roy Orbison tattoo, Rob Schneider's "You can do it!" character, etc. I can't say this is a subtle comedy that you'll want to check out over and over again to search for jokes you may have missed. To tell the truth, I think the film gets more lame in further viewings. Which is why it's good to watch it once or twice. Don't wear it out, because this kind of comedy can wear out easily--like those supermarket brand AA batteries.

"The Waterboy" is funny, mindless entertainment. I recommend watching it--just read a book afterwards...LOL. Critics have criticized Sandler for lowering viewers' comic standards. Sure, his gags may not be as intelligently crafted as those of the late Marx Brothers or Buster Keaton, but he knows how to make people laugh and I'm not going to fry him for that. Some don't find him funny--and if you don't, I understand. But I'm not going to view Sandler as comedy's Hitler. Believe me, I've seen much worse.

My score: 7 (out of 10)
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sandler's best since Billy Madison
Quinoa198430 April 2000
I really liked the Waterboy. It was crude, raw, and utterly funny. Adam Sandler gives his funniest yet since his 1995 cult hit Billy Madison. In this feel good movie, Sandler plays a dumb waterboy who gets on a football team and becomes a damn good tackler. Everything in this film is funny, from beginning to end. Henry Winkler has his best in years as a down on his luck coach and Kathy Bates is Dead Pan funny as mama. Great all around. A+
29 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
michaelscheindlinger117 June 2019
I have seen this movie at least 50 times and I still laugh at it. It was made to make you laugh and in my opinion, it succeeded. Unless you are a pompous bore, you should watch it.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Waterboy is one of Adam Sandlers best comedy films.
dobbin-413 December 2007
Now I am a huge fan of Adam Sandlers dumb-ass films but I think that is why people have let him a have a career so long. They just love his dumb-ass movies. The movie centres around the local water boy who when the coach of the football team notices he can tackle hard when mad he puts him as the new quarterback of tackeler guy sorry I am Australian. The movie is good on many pointers as it shows that Adam Sandler can play 2 different types of dumb guys, nice dumb and guys and mean dumb guys. If you have not already seen this you should take some time to seat down and enjoy the movie. Overall this movie is a fun excuse to seat down and dumb out but I can see why people would not like this film. I rate this film 83%.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Repressed wimp on steroids comedy gold
Hallelujah2895 February 2019
Perfect casting, everyone is completely right for their role. Adam Sandler does many similar kinds of roles and this is his repressed nerd character with powerful simmering rage at its essence. The scene where The Waterboy Bobby Boucher and is taught to release his rage and tackle a mocking football cohort is one of the most satisfying scenes in comedy. It truly is an uplifting and complete moment, and also very funny. The scenes that stand out for me in Adam Sandler films are similar in that they have both humor and a wholesome, cathartic quality, and this scene is one of the very best.

There's a number of people who could be on steroids in this film (not actually, but in their characters and actions) and then others who play the oddball wimps, and then you get Sandler's Bobby Boucher who is a bit of both. The characters are amped up and as they should be for a comedy, and especially the actress who plays Bobby's mother and the Unisinkable Molly Brown in Titanic, she is satisfying.

Just a perfect and well made classic comedy that everyone who has ever felt like an underdog should watch.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another silly but genuinely funny outing from Sandler
SmileysWorld3 October 2002
Adam Sandler's brand of humor may not be award winning,but it doesn't have to be.He creates another memorable character here,and surrounds himself with a good cast,including Henry Winkler,and Oscar winner Kathy Bates.You would be hard pressed to find a film about the sport of football that could be considered a great one,but the majority that I have seen are entertaining enough,and this one is no exception to that. If you are smart,you won't view this movie with an expectation of greatness,but if you want genuinely funny silliness,this is a film for you.It's a worthy edition to the comedy section of anyone's home library.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great timing
brilliantblue24 January 2007
for some reason this is one of my favorite movies. the timing is great. i've seen some movies that were potentially funnier but the editing/timing was off. but here the humor is only magnified. occasional tired spots do exist, but they only help to set up some hilarious physical comedy and gleefully goofy dialog. and Sandler's character occasionally makes me tear up with such a weird vulnerability (like his "lunchlady land" song). Kathy Bates does a great job playing his mother, and Fairuza Balk's Becky Ballencort is sinfully sexy. best of all is Henry Winkler's Coach Kline, though i can't tell if its really his character or just the contrast of his character to the Fonz character that I grew up with. Regardless, this movie cracks me up.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Funnyboy.
MovieAddict201628 August 2003
Amusing but typical Adam Sandler vehicle about a water boy for a football team who has the amazing ability to get extremely mad and violent (picture Sandler as the Incredible Hulk). When a football coach (Henry Winkler, a.k.a. The Fonz) sees Sandler's amazing talent, he gets him on his football team...much to the dissaproval of his overcontrolling mother (Kathy Bates).

A lightweight comedy handled with playfulness. "The Waterboy" scores big points for laughs. If you want an hour and a half of fun, see this movie!

3.5/5 stars -

John Ulmer
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You can do it!
acedj12 February 2020
I know, I know. Does this movie really deserve a 10 you ask. well since reviews are subjective, I feel it does. If you'd care to read on, I shall endeavor to explain why. Bobby Boucher is a mentally challenged young man that lives with his mother in the Louisiana bayou. His sole job in life is as the water-boy for the local college football team. This is a job he takes excessively serious. One day one of the players upsets Bobby and Bobby attacks him and gets fired. He begins a search for a new place to ply his unique skills and gets a new position, though working for free. Soon though the coach sees Bobby's rage attack and gets him enrolled in the college so he can play football. Keeping it a secret from his mother who would not approve, Bobby becomes not only successful at college, but a force beyond compare on the field, carrying the team to a bowl game.

This movie works so well on every aspect. Adam Sandler has a few movies under his belt so his acting is vastly improved from his earlier movies. So I give this film 10 stars because it is my favorite of all his films. It is a movie I can watch over and over and still laugh. Great movie here for football fans and comedy fans alike.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captain Insano Shows No Mercy!
inferno27223 September 2005
how anyone could not like this movie is beyond me. Not only does it have a pretty darn good acting core with Fariuza Balk (sp?) Adam Sandler, Kathy Bates, and the great Henry Winkler, it also has a lovable story, and some insane football hits.

a hilarious comedic action flick is what i would call it, just a different kind of action flick :) anyway, i really don't have to say the story outline, as I'm sure 99% of the people reading this have already seen it, so all i am going to say is, that i think this is a great movie, i think everyone should see it, and i think you should see it with an open mind. you are NOT going to get a flick like the shawshank redemption, but you will get a flick that will make you say, you know what, that last 90 minutes of my life was pretty darn good :) watch it, you'll like it, trust me :)
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny
acummings-5712731 March 2019
This movie is a great comedy, Adam Sandler portrays the character perfectly with him loving his momma girlfriend and football. Adam fits this role so well because he acts slow. I would recommend watching this movie if you are looking for a good comedy. This movie also shows how a person can overcome anything when they put there mind to it.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!
sykesm-251359 October 2020
Nothing more to say other than this movie is amazing!!!! It's sooo freaking funny! I can recite every line of it when ever it's on! Watch this one!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes you just need a stupid film like this to make you laugh
MartinHafer1 March 2009
Although I love a good foreign or independent film, sometimes I am in the mood for a good old stupid film like THE WATERBOY. This is not meant as an insult, as the makers of this film intended for it to be very dumb and in the process the film is also quite entertaining. There are many times I could just use some mindless fun and I am thankful that films like the Bill and Ted films, UHF, TALLADEGA NIGHTS and THE WATERBOY are there when I am in the mood for goofiness.

Adam Sandler stars as Bobby Boucher--a guy so socially inept people assume he is an idiot. His sole desire in life when he film begins is to be a water boy for a football team--even though he's in his 30s! When he shows up at South Central Louisiana State University looking for this job, the coach (Henry Winkler) lets him do it---provided he doesn't have to pay Boucher! Oddly, Boucher looks at his job as if it were a science and he takes amazing pride in such a menial and worthless job. In the process, he looks like a total geek and the players make fun of him constantly. Eventually, all the needling reminds him of all the many, many, many times others have made fun of him over the years and he reacts by knocking one of the players off his feet. Not realizing it, Boucher was able to channel his 31 years of rage into tackling. Winkler realizes Boucher's potential and gets him to agree to play football--even though Boucher's mama (Kathy Bates) thinks "foosball is of the Devil!". This is accomplished by pretending that he's just the team's water boy. I loved when he came home bruised up after a game and explained that it was because he was beaten up by an escaped gorilla....and she believed it!! However, when Mama finally learns the truth, she slips into an unknown illness and Waterboy is unable to bring himself to play in the super-important Bourbon Bowl!

The film abounds with stupid moments--the sort that make kids laugh and adult often pretend aren't funny. I believe that most sophisticated adults WILL like the film but should probably only watch it when the kids are asleep--otherwise the children will realize that their parents are capable of laughing at Adam Sandler.

Clever writing, lots of silly gags (such as his run-in with 'Colonel Sanders') and a part that works well for Sandler, this is one of his better films. I also recommend you try watching THE WEDDING SINGER. And, because I care about you, I advise you to avoid LITTLE NICKY like the plague, as its juvenile humor is something only the most seriously brain damaged can appreciate. It's just not funny.

By the way, the plot of THE WATERBOY is in many ways a variation on Stephen King's CARRIE. Carrie's mother IS Bobby Boucher's mother in many different ways. And, instead of cool telekinesis, Bobby's "magic power" is his ability to tackle. Think about it.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Absurdist Comedy from Sandler
peeedeee-9428114 December 2019
Adam Sandler, who co-wrote this great comedy, also had a great collaboration with director Frank Coraci, who later worked on Sandler's Ridiculous 6, another fave of mine.

The movie is well-done, and highly quotable. 'high quality H2O'; 'mama said...' etc... This is one of those comedies you can watch over and over again and not get tired.

Sandler movies also have an underlying message or theme, not just straight out stupid funny for the sake of it. And this one does have that heart-warming overall message.

I've enjoyed Waterboy since first seeing it in 98 in the theaters!
Perfect Story for a Silly Movie
iquine13 September 2019
(Flash Review)

What a crazy character. Do I dare say Waterboy is a deep character...? At least for a stupid comedy. Waterboy is a gentle soul who only wants to hydrate the local losing college football team as he has a crazed obsession for H2O. He has a ton of hidden aggression that once surfaces lands him on the team against his Mama's wishes. As an immediate successes he delivers oodles over the top brutal tackles with a hilarious sound. Can Waterboy help the team become winners? Sandler does a great job playing an unusual character. The movie is full of good-hearted and randomly funny scenes that'll leave you smiling. I miss the Sanders good old days.
Adam Sandler is funny
Bravesfan1721 May 2010
What do you get when you combine Adam Sandler and a football movie? A fun movie. Adam Sandler plays Bobby Boucher, a longtime waterboy for the local college football team. However, the players have always made fun of him and have given him a hard time. One day, Bobby has had enough of the players making fun of him so he decides to tackle one of the players out of nowhere. When the coach, played by Henry Winkler (a.k.a. Fonzie), notices Bobby's tackle, he decides to see what it would be like to make him a linebacker.

Despite Bobby's mother (played by Kathy Bates) not approving of Bobby playing, the coach decides to play him anyway. The coach makes the objective to Bobby to picture somebody's head on the quarterback's body. This works for a while.

There is a love interest, played by Fairuza Balk. Some of the frequent supporting players in Adam Sandler's movies appear in bit parts. Director Frank Coraci mixes the football action with the comedy.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sandler's Best since Happy Gilmore...
Jtbrack8 November 1998
Billy Madison was good, Happy Gilmore was great, Wedding Singer shined, but Waterboy is just plain out hilarious. This movie is great, from start to finish. Each character is well written into the movie, and acted out great by the cast. SEE this movie if you are an Adam Sandler fan.