The Waterboy (1998) Poster

(1998)

Revenge Of The Cajun Nerd
ccthemovieman-127 February 2006
I have to admit: this Adam Sandler no-brainer is hilarious, just had me laughing right from the start. I'd rank it in my top ten funny movies of my collection and it features one of my favorite characters in film: Bobby Boucher Jr., a heckuva lot nicer guy than Sandler's "Happy Gilmore."

"Bobby" is about as innocent and a gentle-natured a guy as you'll find this side of Forrest Gump. You can't help but root for him, and that's the idea. What the film basically involves is another "Revenge Of The Nerds" theme except it's "nerd "- singular - as the picked-on waterboy turning the tables on the football jocks. Interesting to once again see Jerry Reed, whom I haven't seen much of since his days in "Smokey And The Bandit." He has much fatter face but everything else looked the same. Then there is Henry Winkler, "The Fonz" who now is the opposite: a guy with a terrible inferiority complex. All the characters in here are wildly exaggerated.

This cartoon-like comedy may not be high-brow, but so what? It's not totally low- brow either, but I do wonder why modern filmmakers cannot seem to make a comedy without all the sex references and the profanity. Nonetheless, Sandler's Cajun accent, his strange-looking-but pretty girlfriend (Fairuza Balk) and crazy mother (Kathy Bates, in the funniest role she's ever played) are all great fun to watch.

It's silly, particularly the ridiculous climactic football game, but then this movie is hardly to be taken seriously. It's all absurd humor, and 90 minutes was just right amount of time for it.
53 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh Come ON!! This was not meant to be high art..just great fun
rdambroso26 August 2005
All of the characters were well developed and entertaining. This movie never pretended to be anything more than it was..a fun, wacky comedy with a bizarre plot. Anyone who beats this up for being dumb should be taken out back and paddled. It is obvious THEY are too dumb to realize that this was DESIGNED to be dumb. Anyway..there are too many scenes that I STILL laugh at today, even though I have seen this 1/2 dozen times. So, if you are looking for the greatest film ever made on all levels..give this a pass..if you can relate to the humor, it's a wonderful hoot! I am not a die hard Adam Sandler fan, but I think he scored a 10 in this one for likability and laughs.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as funny as I remember
Smells_Like_Cheese15 January 2004
The Waterboy is one of those movies that I really loved as a kid, I was 12 years old when this movie came out and I thought it was just the most hilarious movie I had ever seen. So growing up I re-watched it thinking that I would still enjoy the movie as much as I did when I was younger. But honestly I wasn't laughing as much as I did when I was 12, I think because it was for the most part it was just junior high humor. Is The Waterboy a funny movie? Yeah, I'm not going to lie, I still got a few good laughs out of it; it's just baffling to me that a grown man could make millions of dollars while making baby voices, that's the power of Adam Sandler.

Bobby Boucher, a pretty stupid, stuttering, water boy with anger issues due to constant teasing and his mother's excessive sheltering. He was the water boy for the University of Louisiana Cougars or the past 18 years, but the players tormented him, and the team's head coach, Coach Red Beaulieu, fired him for disrupting his team's practices. He later goes to Coach Klein, coach of the Mud Dogs, and volunteers to work as the team's water boy for free after seeing the filthy water that the coach provides his players. During his first few hours of being waterboy for the Mud Dogs, one of the players spits into the water can. A flashback is then seen when the waterboy was a young kid working for the Cougars. Coach Beaulieu refuses the right for the waterboy to retaliate against one of his players for spitting in the cooler. Coach Klein notices his anger problem and encourages Bobby to stand up for himself instead of letting the players walk all over him. After Grenouille, the team's captain taunts him, Bobby then sees flashbacks of the people that also made his life a living hell. Bobby then effortlessly runs onto the field, grunting and growling in sheer anger and tackles Grenouille, shocking the whole team and prompting Coach Klein to put him on the field, with positive results. Despite his overprotective mother's disapproval, he secretly continues to play football, and also secretly goes to school. He uses his anger to tackle the opposing players by pretending they're the people who made fun of him throughout his life. He quickly becomes one of the most feared linebackers in college football and love interest of Vicki Vallencourt.

While The Waterboy is stupid in a lot of moments, over all it's just a harmless comedy that is just for fun. I still love quoting certain lines to it, especially when Bobby attacks his college professor because his mama was insulted. Another reason I can't hate this movie is that this was the time that Adam Sandler was actually funny and we enjoyed seeing his movies. I think the reason why people just didn't respond as well to this movie as his other films was due to the fact that a lot of his movies are the same plot with a different character: Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison. The Wedding Singer was his first movie that was completely original and that's why it's so well loved. But I still would recommend seeing The Waterboy for a few good laughs, you have to love some of the fantasies that Bobby comes up with, such as "Water sucks, Gatorade tastes better", you'll have to see what I mean, but trust me, it's a good scene.

26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly but satisfying
Rumples8 August 1999
This movie is a real no-brainer, but if that's what you're looking for then this baby is right up your alley. Adam Sandler specialises in this type of film, switch off the cerebellum and just revel in the stupidity. The Waterboy is not going to win any awards or even make its audience think, but it will inspire some laughs if you let it. As for it being similar to Happy Gilmour, you might as well say that it is identical to half of the movies produced in Hollywood - unlikely hero comes good, gets faced with a difficult challenge, overcomes it an wins the game in the last few minutes! Sheesh, what movie doesn't use this formula nowadays? In short, don't expect too much from the film and you won't be disappointed. My vote 6/10
30 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another score for Sandler!
mattymatt4ever17 October 2001
It's Adam Sandler. Are we expecting a smart comedy, along the lines of Woody Allen and Albert Brooks? Of course not. But like all his comedies, it works. Some of the jokes are truly lame (not in a funny way), but most of them worked. Sandler helped pen the script, so naturally the humor is cheap and juvenile. But everyone, young and old, has a kid or teenager inside of them that is dying to break out. That explains the success of "There's Something About Mary." I'm sure a movie with such widespread success didn't reach only a young audience. When an old man dressed like Colonel Sanders gets hit in the head by a paperweight, call me immature, but I'm going to laugh out loud! Sandler does a great job at awakening the kid in all of us. It's truly evident that the kid in him is fully awakened.

Honestly, I still prefer Sandler's "Billy Madison" (I will always love that movie!) and "Happy Gilmore," but this is a good one too. I never thought Fairuza Balk was hot, before checking out this film. Anyone who has seen "The Craft" knows damn well she looked horrible! And for good reason--she was playing a witch! Here, she looks hot, and walks around in a lot of skimpy outfits--MMMM! No matter how many times I watch this film, I can't help but crack up at Blake Clark as Farmer Fran. God, what an underrated talent! His main gag is you can't understand what the hell he's saying. Sure, it doesn't sound like much on paper--shows how the timing and execution of a joke can really work wonders. He also made a short appearance in "Joe Dirt," so look for him in that one as well. There are a good deal of notable gags: the Roy Orbison tattoo, Rob Schneider's "You can do it!" character, etc. I can't say this is a subtle comedy that you'll want to check out over and over again to search for jokes you may have missed. To tell the truth, I think the film gets more lame in further viewings. Which is why it's good to watch it once or twice. Don't wear it out, because this kind of comedy can wear out easily--like those supermarket brand AA batteries.

"The Waterboy" is funny, mindless entertainment. I recommend watching it--just read a book afterwards...LOL. Critics have criticized Sandler for lowering viewers' comic standards. Sure, his gags may not be as intelligently crafted as those of the late Marx Brothers or Buster Keaton, but he knows how to make people laugh and I'm not going to fry him for that. Some don't find him funny--and if you don't, I understand. But I'm not going to view Sandler as comedy's Hitler. Believe me, I've seen much worse.

My score: 7 (out of 10)
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Check your brain, then get ready to laugh
Steave5 December 1998
A lot of people are shocked at how dumb, unbelievable, and campy this movie is. Obviously they've lived in a cave and never seen an Adam Sandler movie before.

You don't watch Adam Sandler for a cerebral workout. You'll never see him starring opposite Anthony Hopkins or Merryl Streep. Okay, I realize his IS cast opposite Oscar-Winner Kathy Bates, but don't confuse me with details. This movie is just a bunch of jokes wrapped around a weak plot.

Still, the jokes are really funny. I don't usually laugh out loud at the movies, but I guffawed at many parts of this movie. If nothing else, it stimulates the Three Stooges area of the frontal lobe of your brain.

On the down side, Rob Schneider must be a good friend, because his role was obviously a last-minute toss in. Schneider is not funny in this movie and his "lines" are by far the campiest element of this movie.

Still, it was amazing how the crowd with which I saw it reacted to the football scenes in the movie. I looked around and everyone was anxious or cheering like they're best friend was playing in the Super Bowl. Also, this is the hardest I've seen an audience laugh since "There's Something About Mary".

In short, if you can accept the fact that the plot is completely unbelievable and just watch it for laughs, you will enjoy this movie. If you're looking for Oscar-winning drama, go elsewhere.
34 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sandler's best since Billy Madison
Quinoa198430 April 2000
I really liked the Waterboy. It was crude, raw, and utterly funny. Adam Sandler gives his funniest yet since his 1995 cult hit Billy Madison. In this feel good movie, Sandler plays a dumb waterboy who gets on a football team and becomes a damn good tackler. Everything in this film is funny, from beginning to end. Henry Winkler has his best in years as a down on his luck coach and Kathy Bates is Dead Pan funny as mama. Great all around. A+
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another silly but genuinely funny outing from Sandler
SmileysWorld3 October 2002
Adam Sandler's brand of humor may not be award winning,but it doesn't have to be.He creates another memorable character here,and surrounds himself with a good cast,including Henry Winkler,and Oscar winner Kathy Bates.You would be hard pressed to find a film about the sport of football that could be considered a great one,but the majority that I have seen are entertaining enough,and this one is no exception to that. If you are smart,you won't view this movie with an expectation of greatness,but if you want genuinely funny silliness,this is a film for you.It's a worthy edition to the comedy section of anyone's home library.
24 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Funnyboy.
MovieAddict201628 August 2003
Amusing but typical Adam Sandler vehicle about a water boy for a football team who has the amazing ability to get extremely mad and violent (picture Sandler as the Incredible Hulk). When a football coach (Henry Winkler, a.k.a. The Fonz) sees Sandler's amazing talent, he gets him on his football team...much to the dissaproval of his overcontrolling mother (Kathy Bates).

A lightweight comedy handled with playfulness. "The Waterboy" scores big points for laughs. If you want an hour and a half of fun, see this movie!

3.5/5 stars -

John Ulmer
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminally Underrated
MellowStello22 July 2019
This has to be one of the most underrated films on IMDB. A timeless, hilarious film.

Compared to the modern PC drivel being released today, this film is phenomenal.

In fact, I'd rather watch The Waterboy for the umpteenth time than ANY of the films released in the last 5-10 years... except maybe the John Wick series.

I don't think Adam Sandler has made a more funny production to date. This film deserves more than a 6.1 star rating... at least worthy of 8 stars.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Waterboy is one of Adam Sandlers best comedy films.
dobbin-413 December 2007
Now I am a huge fan of Adam Sandlers dumb-ass films but I think that is why people have let him a have a career so long. They just love his dumb-ass movies. The movie centres around the local water boy who when the coach of the football team notices he can tackle hard when mad he puts him as the new quarterback of tackeler guy sorry I am Australian. The movie is good on many pointers as it shows that Adam Sandler can play 2 different types of dumb guys, nice dumb and guys and mean dumb guys. If you have not already seen this you should take some time to seat down and enjoy the movie. Overall this movie is a fun excuse to seat down and dumb out but I can see why people would not like this film. I rate this film 83%.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great timing
brilliantblue24 January 2007
for some reason this is one of my favorite movies. the timing is great. i've seen some movies that were potentially funnier but the editing/timing was off. but here the humor is only magnified. occasional tired spots do exist, but they only help to set up some hilarious physical comedy and gleefully goofy dialog. and Sandler's character occasionally makes me tear up with such a weird vulnerability (like his "lunchlady land" song). Kathy Bates does a great job playing his mother, and Fairuza Balk's Becky Ballencort is sinfully sexy. best of all is Henry Winkler's Coach Kline, though i can't tell if its really his character or just the contrast of his character to the Fonz character that I grew up with. Regardless, this movie cracks me up.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
michaelscheindlinger117 June 2019
I have seen this movie at least 50 times and I still laugh at it. It was made to make you laugh and in my opinion, it succeeded. Unless you are a pompous bore, you should watch it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Story for a Silly Movie
iquine13 September 2019
(Flash Review)

What a crazy character. Do I dare say Waterboy is a deep character...? At least for a stupid comedy. Waterboy is a gentle soul who only wants to hydrate the local losing college football team as he has a crazed obsession for H2O. He has a ton of hidden aggression that once surfaces lands him on the team against his Mama's wishes. As an immediate successes he delivers oodles over the top brutal tackles with a hilarious sound. Can Waterboy help the team become winners? Sandler does a great job playing an unusual character. The movie is full of good-hearted and randomly funny scenes that'll leave you smiling. I miss the Sanders good old days.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny
acummings-5712731 March 2019
This movie is a great comedy, Adam Sandler portrays the character perfectly with him loving his momma girlfriend and football. Adam fits this role so well because he acts slow. I would recommend watching this movie if you are looking for a good comedy. This movie also shows how a person can overcome anything when they put there mind to it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Adam Sandlers best movies
atinder28 December 2010
This movie Bobby Boucher who is a 31 year old male, who still a water boy since he was a kid.

All the football players always seem to tease him and he also seem to have a way over the top protecting mothers, who calls everything and everyone the devil dose not seem help him, she dose not what him to go as she told Bobby that his father as died.

There a football training going and Bobby Boucher is doing his work, one of the players come over to him and spit in the water.

Then in that moment Bobby Boucher remembers all the people that Have been teasing or bulled him over the years and he final snaps and runs on to filed a knock out a player twice his size.

Then coach asks him to the join the team but he as to keep it secret of from his over protecting mother is played by Kath Bates.

I have seen this movie so many times now, I have lost count, I found this movie really funny, there were some really great jokes in this movie and there also a little big of drama in this movie.

Adam Sandlers was really good and funny in this movie but still not is best movie However Kathy Bates was very funny in this movie.

I going give this 7 out of 10
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No son of mine is gonna play any foos-ball.
Spikeopath20 May 2009
Simpleton Bobby Boucher is the water boy for a college football team, until he gets fired for like the umpteenth time. Then just as Bobby thinks his life is empty, another coach discovers that Bobby has an incredible talent for tackling players. The secret is by getting Bobby thinking he's being made fun of, thus the formula works and Bobby becomes the team star player, but that brings about its own drawbacks.

Speaking as someone who happily indulges in the odd bit of Adam Sandler nonsense, i have to say that this picture, alongside the god awful Little Nicky, is easily one of his worst efforts. I just find the well trodden story tiresome in the extreme, and were it not for a couple of strong supporting turns from Henry Winkler and Kathy Bates, the film would have sunk into the swamp where it deserves to be. It promises much in the first quarter, Sandler's goo-fish charm offering up a comic delight, but come the half way point you realise it's essentially a one joke movie. With Sandler unable to break his Bobby character free from the confines of an idiot savant played for laughs.

Not one recommended to anyone other than the staunchest of Sandler supporters. 4/10
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painfully unfunny
howard-518 September 2002
This was without a doubt one of the least funny "comedy" films I have ever seen. I sat though nearly an hour and a half of this drivel waiting for all the hilarious scenes mentioned in other reviews - I saw them, but just can't see why people thought they were so funny. It was by turn predictable, boring, badly acted,

irritating - and that was just Sandler (who is without a doubt the most over-rated and least talented "comedians" I've ever had to suffer through). Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against moronic or vulgar humour, but only if it is funny and this certainly isn't.

Why Sandler is so popular is a complete mystery to me, he can't act (unless

doing a bad voice impression of Eric Cartman from South Park counts as acting nowadays), he has no discernable writing ability or comic timing. If I could I would give this film a negative rating

The scariest thing about this film is that it is apparently better than Little Nicky which is hard to imagine. 0 out of 5
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captain Insano Shows No Mercy!
inferno27223 September 2005
how anyone could not like this movie is beyond me. Not only does it have a pretty darn good acting core with Fariuza Balk (sp?) Adam Sandler, Kathy Bates, and the great Henry Winkler, it also has a lovable story, and some insane football hits.

a hilarious comedic action flick is what i would call it, just a different kind of action flick :) anyway, i really don't have to say the story outline, as I'm sure 99% of the people reading this have already seen it, so all i am going to say is, that i think this is a great movie, i think everyone should see it, and i think you should see it with an open mind. you are NOT going to get a flick like the shawshank redemption, but you will get a flick that will make you say, you know what, that last 90 minutes of my life was pretty darn good :) watch it, you'll like it, trust me :)
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is clearly one of the worst films ever made!
Bernold26 October 2002
Now I have seen plenty of bad movies in my life but seldom have I ever thought that any of them were as bad as The Waterboy. The Waterboy is clearly at the final frontier when it comes to childish jokes and hopeless acting. Now I am not a fan of Adam Sandler but don't get me wrong, even I have laughed to his films. I even think that watching Happy Gilmore is a good way to waste 1.5 hours. But, and I mean but with a capital b, the Waterboy really stinks. I don't know what other people think but when I see Adam Sandler sticking out his chin and talking like a retard, I don't exactly burst into laugh. When I saw the waterboy I didn't know what to do with it, were I to laugh or cry? actually I think crying would be the best way of describing how I felt. Now, some people may think that this sense of humour suits children perfectly, and in ways it does, but if I were a parent I wouldn't let my children see this film. I would be affraid that the children would suffer deep phsycological injuries if they saw this kind of crap. I know I haven't written about anything particular that I don't like about this film, and that's because I think the whole movie, from pre-creds to aftercreds literally SUCKS. I'd like to end this review by giving the film atleast one good comment and that is that it atleast beats the crap out of films such as "The Neverending Story 2". And please do me a favor... wash your eyes after seeing this film.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You pray for the WaterBoy to drown in this pathetic loser...
Don-10222 March 1999
THE WATERBOY is without a doubt one of the worst movies ever made, plain and simple. I can't even say that it was a waste of money because it was a huge hit. Sandler and his cronies have actually stolen our money with this mindless piece of crap. I know critics are rough on Sandler's films. WEDDING SINGER was actually a good flick that poked fun at the 1980's and why not? The 80's are an open wound that WEDDING SINGER exposed with hilarity. It even developed a half-decent love story with the help of Drew Barrymore. What the hell happened with this? Did they think this was funny while they were making it or was it in post-production when they realized that it sucked? Sandler is too talented to think this was any good. The public bought it. Why? We'll never know.

I saw it on video, so thank God I did not pay $7.50 for a theater run. After watching it, I didn't even want it in the house overnight. Sandler and his funny buddies, who get paid handsomely to make this garbage, go after the deep south for laughs. You get the impression that every person in cajun Louisiana is dirty and stupid. They can't be any dumber than the writers of this dud. The filmmakers, and I use this term loosely, have no knowledge of the sport of football. It is absolutely painful to sit through.

I know some people will read this and say I am too analytical or that I did not "suspend my disbelief" enough to enjoy this debacle. Get real. "Bobby Bouche" is boring, and a good ending would've been for him to drown in the Gulf of Mexico with a football in his mouth. (-1 of 10)
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a hit?
ABechtel21 June 1999
Hey, I like dumb humor as much as the next guy. "Austin Powers"? Yeah, baby. "Something About Mary"? Sure. "Beavis and Butt-head"? Huh-huh, cool.

"The Waterboy"? No way. This comedy is dry and dull. This unfunny mess is a major step backward for Mr. Sandler.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stands the test of time
seankelly-5646230 June 2017
Comedy is harder than drama. A comedy where the jokes get funnier with each watch, that is rare. Haters gonna hate but Sandler's comedic timing and goofy expressions are unparalleled in this day and age.

FYI: the origin of Bobby Boucher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iEEH_i-7cA
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adam Sandler is funny
Bravesfan1721 May 2010
What do you get when you combine Adam Sandler and a football movie? A fun movie. Adam Sandler plays Bobby Boucher, a longtime waterboy for the local college football team. However, the players have always made fun of him and have given him a hard time. One day, Bobby has had enough of the players making fun of him so he decides to tackle one of the players out of nowhere. When the coach, played by Henry Winkler (a.k.a. Fonzie), notices Bobby's tackle, he decides to see what it would be like to make him a linebacker.

Despite Bobby's mother (played by Kathy Bates) not approving of Bobby playing, the coach decides to play him anyway. The coach makes the objective to Bobby to picture somebody's head on the quarterback's body. This works for a while.

There is a love interest, played by Fairuza Balk. Some of the frequent supporting players in Adam Sandler's movies appear in bit parts. Director Frank Coraci mixes the football action with the comedy.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.