Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997) Poster

Sex-change for "Dumb & Dumber" : blondes have more fun
george.schmidt21 April 2003
ROMY AND MICHELE'S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION (1997) ***1/2 Mira Sorvino, Lisa Kudrow, Janeane Garofalo, Alan Cumming.

Hysterically funny comedy about two best friends/roomies Sorvino and Kudrow (think female "Dumb and Dumber") facing their 10th high school reunion and, realizing their lives are not worth really bragging about, coming up with pseudo lives. Lots of belly laughs especially Kudrow's explanation of how Post-It glue is made and her run in with a limo. Garofalo is a scream as their fellow bitter alumni. Kudos to costumer Mona Maya's outlandishly colorful creations, Robin Schiff's kitschy screenplay based on her play "Ladies' Room" and a waycool soundtrack of ersatz 80s tunes (best one: The Smithereen's "Blood & Roses" to start off the flashback). Directed in high comic style and snappish glee by David Mirkin.
40 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A classic in cluelessness, hugely entertaining!
Amy Adler21 January 2007
Romy (Mira Sorvino) and Michele (Lisa Kudrow) live in Venice, California and love watching the film Pretty Woman. They also adore going out to the dance clubs every night and looking for their own potentially rich boyfriends. However, on most evenings they end up turning down invitations from jerks and dancing with each other instead. Word arrives that their ten year high school reunion is approaching. Since Romy and Michele were certified geeks at school, they get the idea that they will make a triumphant return as winners. After all, they both look pretty and they can make up the rest. So, they outfit themselves as successful businesswoman, with a hot car and cell phone and take off for Arizona. Will they be able to fool the old gang with their new, trumped-up identities? This is a classic tale of dumb blondes who are clueless but, who nevertheless, end up making good. Sorvino and Kudrow are perfection itself as the dimwitted but lovely blondes. Janeane Garofalo is also on hand to steal scenes with her acid wit and intelligence. The costumes are to die for and the overall production values are very nice. But, most importantly, the humor is abundant and zestful. If you need to drop all your worries and get your fighting spirit back, spend an evening with the delightful Romy and Michele. They will make you giggle and get you ready to face the more somber world again with a renewed and optimistic attitude.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
blonde misfits
nobbytatoes16 November 2005
Romy and Michele have been friends since school. They stick to each other and just have the best time together. In school they were outcasts but it never phased them one bit. They currently reside in L.A. and are exactly how they were in school. When they hear that there is a high school reunion, they are over joyed about going back to meet everyone again; even their nemesis the A group. But they realise that people might not be impressed with their lives, so they think of a lie that makes them look really successful. But from this simple lie their friendship is broken apart and are made the laughing stock at the reunion.

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion is a great little comedy of nostalgia; looking back upon school years, the fashion, the music and how people were back then; seeing that they've changed or just stayed completely the same.

Overall this doesn't say much; there is that moral that friendship is the most important and to stand by your friends in any situation. There is that idea also that when people look back upon school years people realise if they were liked or not; Christy and the A group finding they were the most hated and despised and that the 'freaks' of school go on to be the most successful.

Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow fit their characters perfectly; giving so much energy and naivety to them. Janeane Garofalo was great as the surly, fowl mouthed Heather Mooney and Alan Cumming as the nerdy Sandy Frink is also great.

It isn't the best comedy, but its still a great watch. Makes you look upon your own school years.
27 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious. The "Mean Girls" of 97
admin-37028 October 2004
My sister and I originally rented this film when I was 9/10 years old. Since then I have watched it possibly 20 times. Its one of the funniest films I've seen and is not only a great flashback of the 80s [Although not a damn patch on 13 GOING ON 30] but a hilarious bimbo movie, possibly the best if it weren't for 2004's MEAN GIRLS.

This is an endearing, funny, mean, warm movie about the innocence of being a bimbo and its negatives and positives. Lisa Kudrow is especially comfortable in this role thanks to Pheobe.

It's not exactly high brow humour, but the laughers and great characters of the 97 set picture not only bring back memories of the 1990s now but it also lets us all know that we shouldn't accept the crap of todays Hollywood. Brilliant [A]
53 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious!!! Great Fun!!! Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow Are Terrific!!!
movies2u31 July 2001
"Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" is a terrific comedy that you can't miss. This film is plain fun and makes you laugh throught the movie!! Mira Sorvino is great as Romy White , as is Lisa Kudrow as the ditsy yet fun Michele, and Janeane Garfolo as the rude and moody Heather Moony. This film is a sure great comedy. If you liked "Clueless" or "Legally Blonde" this is a great film for you!!! The acting is great, and the film itself is a non-stop laughing machine!!!!! This is a great and hilarious film that keeps you laughing!! I give this film a 10 out of 10!!!! :)
43 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Let's fold scarfs
George Parker21 July 2003
"Romy & Michele's High School Reunion" is all about Sorvino and Kudrow as a couple of best friend ditzes who have supported each through and since school and are confronted with their first high school ten year reunion. This female frolic depends entirely on the audience buying into the fun and funniness of the two leads and their nonstop blonde moments. The rest of the film is the usual high school reunion gig with all the stereotypes in place and the usual morals about just being yourself, being happy with who you are, being real, etc. Personally, I adored this flick but then I love "Adventures in Babysitting", "Sixteen Candles", and "Hollywood Knights" which requires going to a whole different place in your head to get away from "Gone With the Wind", "Citizen Kane", and "2001 A Space Odyssey". "Clueless" for the adult dating distaff. Fun, fun, fun. (B)
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kudrow and Sorvino in short dresses: all the recommendation I need.
BA_Harrison27 December 2009
I don't find Romy and Michele's High School Reunion to be as funny as some seem to—just consistently amusing—but I still like it: it has a warmth and charm that you don't find in many Hollywood films, a few profound points to make about life and true happiness, and two absolute babes with amazing legs—and sometimes, that's enough.

The lovely Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe from Friends) and the possibly even lovelier Mira Sorvino play lifelong pals Romy and Michele, a pair of ditzy blondes sharing an apartment in Los Angeles. In the ten years since graduating high school, the girls have led a carefree existence together, avoiding responsibility during the day in minimum wage jobs, and partying at night.

When they discover that their high school in Tuscon is holding a class reunion, Romy and Michele decide to attend, but on realising that their lack of accomplishment over the last decade is unlikely to impress, they concoct a story to make themselves appear successful. Of course, the whole deception crashes around their ears, but through the experience, Romy and Michele discover that their lives have been much richer than they had realised.

The comedy of Romy and Michele veers towards the extremely silly at times, and is unlikely to appeal to those who enjoy more cerebral humour, but the underlying, heartfelt messages, the effervescent performances from its likable (and luscious) leads, excellent support from Janeane Garofolo (as class grouch Heather Mooney) and Alan Cumming (as nerd-turned-millionaire Sandy Frink), and spirited direction from David Mirkin are guaranteed to provide a fun time for all but the most joyless of souls.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Has its moments
moviesleuth217 June 2010
"Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" is a movie that I've heard about for a long time, having seen the video stored at someone's house or whatnot. But I've never gotten a chance to see this movie until now. The verdict is while there are some funny moments, and the ending is good, there are enough dead spots to only get it a lukewarm recommendation.

Romy (Mira Sorvino) and Michele (Lisa Kudrow) are two best friends...and first class ditzes. Both of their IQs are far below what is considered normal, and the term "Valley Girl" seems to have been tailor made for them. They are living "stylishly" in LA when an old school chum Heather Mooney (Janeane Garafalo) tells them about their high school reunion. But seeing as the only reason to go to the high school reunion is to boast about their careers (neither Romy or Michele has an enviable job), they decide to lie and pass themselves off as rich and wealthy business women. And the creators of Post-It Notes.

The problem with the film is that it's too plot heavy for its own good. These two bimbos are hilarious in their own right, but Robin Schiff's screenplay (based on her play) spends too much time developing the story and not enough time letting the characters be themselves. There are plenty of flashbacks about how the Queen Bees of their school bullied them, but this material comes off as cruel, rather than funny. The movie is at it's best when it allows them to be the ultra-dim bulbs that they are, but there just aren't enough of these moments.

Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino are terrific as the leads. Romy is the smarter one, although that's not saying much. Neither one is a stranger to playing a mental vacuum, and they're pretty funny. Surprisingly, Janeane Garafalo is ineffective as the cynical Heather. The character has to add a dose of emotional damage to her character, but Garafalo goes way far over the top. Garafalo can play a dramatic character, but she's just not very good in this film. Alan Cumming is good as the geek who has long held a torch for Michele. Camryn Manheim steals her scenes as the organizer. She's one of those people who is so into this thing that she doesn't realize that no one else really cares. We all know someone like this, and that's what makes it funny.

Some people have been calling this a chick flick, and that's not necessarily true. It's not a sappy romance, and while the central characters are girls, the humor is such that members of both sexes can get it.

Fluff, but not that great fluff.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is about two silly girls from an American high school.
FilmCriticLalitRao7 August 2008
In recent times many films have been made about the boring lives of American teenagers.If there is one film which has the ability to stand apart from a huge crowd of inane Hollywood teen pictures,it is surely Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.It is a perfect film which does not hesitate in attacking fake American values prevalent in high schools.It is a known fact that there is too much pressure on American high school children to succeed in all realms of life.There are many people who become a part of this system.There are some like Romy and Michelle who decide to follow their own paths.Hollywood director David Mirkin has directed a nice film about these two girls who do not take their lives seriously.It is through a great soundtrack that we are showed a not so rosy picture of the lives of disillusioned souls like Romy and Michelle.It is a nice film which teaches us that people can be happy with what they are.One has to remain true to oneself if one wants to be respected.Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino look fabulous as Romy and Michelle.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Do you have some kind of businesswomen's special?"
bregund2 January 2005
"Yeah, 'cause we're businesswomen." I don't know why I like this movie so much, but it must strike a chord with a lot of people because lately they've been showing it a lot on t.v. Mira Sorvino looks great, and Lisa Kudrow really nails the part of Michele. I wish the movie had more Janeane Garofalo, because she can toss off a line as though she's ad-libbing. This movie is dopey and fun and you don't have to think very much, so it's great if you just want to chill for a couple of hours. Romy and Michele are perfect examples of the iconic vapid, superficial southern California beach girl. Their ignorance makes them endearing, and when Romy's heart is broken at the prom and Michele offers a consolation dance, you can't help feeling sorry for her. The music is great, it's all eighties like Bananarama and Wang Chung and Kenny Loggins. The dance sequences, in the disco and at the reunion, are well done and perfectly suited to the style of this movie. My favorite scene in the whole film relates to the quote in my summary, when they walk into the eatery and ask the waitress if they have a businesswomen's special, because they're businesswomen in a hurry. I love these kooky girls, they're hilarious!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harmless Entertainment
stude62-120 December 2004
For those of us who weren't in the "in" crowd, but turned out OK, this movie is a hoot. And the message is pretty clear: Happiness comes from within, not how successful people think you are.

Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorveno excel as to Blonds who return to their high school reunion intent on making the "Popular People" stand up and take notice. These two are the movie, and an confused appearance by Janeane Garofalo only garbles the basic plot, which isn't wide enough to absorb her. Alan Cummings bit part shows his true talent of being able to step into any role and fit in.

The only place where the movie fails is too much time with Romy and Michelle in L.A., and not enough with them at the reunion, which if written correctly could have made this laugh out loud funny.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"You know now that we see our lives presented in this way..."
Polaris_DiB11 February 2010
Seriously, Bunuel couldn't have come up with something so surreal. The 90s managed to generate some really neat exercises in irony, the blonde heroine who in her own fashionable and dizzy way stumbles upon self-empowerment and manages to stand up to the face of society, but this is no Clueless, mostly because the extended dream sequence just before the third act doesn't look, feel, or flow any different than the rest of the movie. The acting is uneven, too--Lisa Kudrow gets nowhere near the empathy Mira Sorvino illicits, and neither of them are nearly as interesting and Janeane Garofolo.

However, honestly, once the three-way dance between Kudrow, Sorvino, and Cumming occurs, all bets are off. I felt higher than coke-addicted drunk mixing a cocktail of LSD and heroin to the mix for extra flavor. Seriously, the writing of this movie is straight-forward enough but the tone and progression of it is unaccountable. I can actually see the cult enjoyment this film gets, but whereas I was expecting something more along the Sugar and Spice lines, I wasn't expecting Legally Blonde meets Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

What a weird friggin' movie...

--PolarisDiB
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Have a Romy and Michelle Day!"
Vasco Cid18 September 2001
-The Best: Lisa Kudrow, Mira Sorvino, Janeane Garofalo, the most talented writer who provided us one of the most pleasant comedy movies to sit along for 1 hour and half. -The Worst: The runtime which is very small and the irritating Julia Campbell. The Rating- 7/10

Romy and Michelle are two best friend's who have been together for a very long time and never separated one from each other. One day, pulling out the year book, they remember how amazing and fun were the old times at high school. Discovering the existence of a ten year anniversary from their twelfth grade they, very enthusiastically prepare everything to go, when all of the sudden, they realize that normally on this kinds of parties everyone would proudly tell how successful their lives are currently even if they have to lie! The reality bumps into their minds: they are not successful, they don't have a wealthy life, and while one is cashier, the other is unemployed…. Now, they start racing against time to find boyfriend's to each other, and most desperately try to find a decent job. Two weeks have passed and the reunion is one day away, they didn't get any of the two things the two proposed, and while heading to the party Romy gets the idea of saying that they invented post-its!

From this point on the movie starts gathering all the characters of the movie for the big party. What results from this movie, fulfils all the viewers expectations, and in addition, does what a good comedy should: entertain, smile, and makes us laugh until our stomach hurts! This movie is to be seen until its very small detail which leads us to even more laughs. Almost all the cast is hilarious and there's also place for the ‘villains' starring the most annoying of all Julia Campbell as Christie Masters, well I know that's her role and she needs to look mean and, all, but let's face it she is really annoying to the part.

Get yourselves all together to this big party called ‘ Romy and Michele's High School Reunion', seat back, enjoy and have fun, recalling all the greatest hits from the 80's which are a remarkable point to the very century's history and to the movie as well, no one will even forget the greatest leaving of Romy and Michelle via Helicopter with one of the greatest 80's songs behind….

See it, it's absolutely worth watching…… 7/10
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the funniest movies of the decade!!!!
zack20857 July 1999
Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino are truly great at playing ditzy blonds. "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" does a great job of showing what high school is really like, and that one day you to can get revenge on the mean girl that bullied you. This movie is soo funny, I was literally laughing all the way through. Romy and Michele are so funny in the situations they get themselves into, and Geneane Garafalo's comedic timing is right on the money.

This is such a funny film, bring tissues-- because your eyes will start to water!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
Jackson Booth-Millard22 June 2010
I'm afraid to say, I am one for some chick flicks, well, at least the ones with either a good reputation or some good stars, and this sounded like one to at least try, from director David Mirkin (Heartbreakers). Basically Romy White (Mira Sorvino) and Michele Weinberger (Friends' Lisa Kudrow) have stayed friends for ten years, ever since they graduated high school, where they looked down upon by the "popular" crowd. They hear about the ten year anniversary high school reunion, but they know that their lives since leaving haven't been very impressive. They want to make a good impression, well, look impressive to everyone at the reunion, especially to those who picked on them, so they decide to pose as success businesswomen, with a cool car, cellphones and business suits. Before Romy and Michele get there however they argue about the facts they are going to give, saying they invented and designed post-its. One of the girls dreams about the reunion that could have been should they have gone with most of what they planned, ending with them growing old and hating each other, but then the real reunion begins. They do at first go with their fibs to impress the mean girls, but then they realise they should just be themselves and not care what other people say. Also starring Janeane Garofalo as Heather Mooney, GoldenEye's Alan Cumming as Sandy Frink, Julia Campbell as Christy Masters, Mia Cottet as Cheryl, Kristin Bauer as Kelly, Elaine Hendrix as Lisa Luder, Vincent Ventresca as Billy and Justin Theroux as Cowboy. Sorvini and Kudrow play the typical dim-witted and down on their luck blondes well, and there is good support from the likes of Cumming, it is predictable Clueless style comedy, but watch it the once. Worth watching!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"I just get really happy when they let her shop".
Sirus_the_Virus29 August 2009
Romy and Michelle's High school reunion is a hilarious film that is funny almost line for line. It's a girl movie of course. These girls are really interesting. Tearing up while watching Pretty woman. They are also really funny. This film is from director David Mirkin, who, unfortunately doesn't direct much. He did Heartbreakers which I also loved. It seems like a lot of girly comedies are really funny, I don't know why. Like Mean girls, Clueless, Romy and Michelle and others. I don't know which of the two women I prefer. Both women are really funny. Romy and Michelle's high school reunion was such a success that they did a bunch of these terrible sequels that went straight to video. I think one had Kathrine Heigl. Anyways, Romy and Michelle's High school reunion is incredibly funny and both women are great. "I'm the Mary!" Michelle screams in her near future. 70 years later. Romy and Michelle's high school reunion is just hilarious. It a classic, but some people don't give it enough credit.

The Plot: Two best friends, Romy and Michelle, are invited to their high school reunion. They were sort of losers in high school, so before they go to it, they try to turn themselves into successful women.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best portraits of High School times!
Rubens Junior22 June 2007
"Romy and Michele" is great! Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow were one of the best partnerships ever at 90's. They are perfect together at a point to believe that they are real intimate friends.

It's one of the best and funniest movies I've ever seen for one simple reason: it's one of the best movies together with "Muriel's Wedding", "Welcome To Dollhouse", "Mean Girls" and some other ones to portray as a satire way what really happens to a lot of people's lives at Elementary and High School times. I'm saying that because I can assert with sure that I was one of "them" and all this perversity that is shown on these movies is not a "privilege" just in American schools. It's funny as a satire, but on the opposite is very sad for it's truly image.

Freud says that children are mean for their own nature, and this is just a phase. But when I see these movies and remember all the live hell childhood I've had, I say that all that cruelty lasts for a long time during everyone's lives. Has being a part of the "rejected people" I can understand perfectly what goes on the "minds" of characters like Romy, Michele, Muriel, Dawn and Cady. The cruelty is impacting in the lives of those who had suffered from it, so impacting that it keeps within us as so much as we still live, I mean, we can surpass the old times, but never the traumas.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997) comment by Merek!
Merek12 June 2005
Oh my gosh Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997)makes you just want to have a best friend like romy or michele! there fun, ditsy blondes! i have seen this move over 10 times and never get tired of it! David Mirkin (director) did a wonderful job casting Mira Sorvino (romy white) and lisa kudrow (michele weinberger). They are such good actress'! Its one of my all time favorite movies! After you watch this also watch Romy and Michele: In the Beginning. OKay so its not as great as the high school reunion movie but its still awesome. Katherine Heigl plays romy and Alex Breckenridge plays Michele. So if you have not seen Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997) you got to see it!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Extremely funny movie! Definite recommendation.
ka-leidoscope1 November 2004
I could not stop laughing while I was watching this funny film!

Romy and Michele are ditzy blondes who get invited to their 10 year high school reunion. When they realize that their success is no match compared to the other classmates', they make up a phony story about how they invented Post-its, since no one really knows(or cares) who invented them.

This is a hilarious movie and one of my favorites. Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino do an excellent job portraying their characters.

A definite recommendation. 11/10. I would suggest older audiences, though. Be sure to take out Romy and Michele's High School Reunion at your nearest rental store :P ;)
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent film
Chanelle27 February 2008
This film is a great comedy and just an all around GREAT film. It tells about growing up and the fear of a high school reunion. Romy and Michelle may not know what is ahead of them at their 10 year high school graduation but they do know they want to make an impression. Although the thing is they have nothing to make an impression on. The two weird girls that were best friends in high school are still best friends, still living together and still single! But wait maybe they can come up with some crazy story to make everyone, especially the A group, jealous! This is a great storyline and a just all around great film. I give it two thumbs up!
A Classic!
ThisLifeArtificial2 February 2006
This movie is without a doubt an underrated classic! Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow are perfectly cast as the two ditzy blondes worrying about their upcoming reunion. The two share brilliant on-screen chemistry and their enjoyment of filming is visible on camera. Janeane Garofalo is hilarious as the chain-smoking, grumpy Heather and almost steals the screen in every scene she's in.

The movie is full of witty one-liners and memorable characters, each with their own distinct personalities not to mention very well-written.

With a fantastic 80's soundtrack (that will have the songs stuck in your head for days), Romy and Michele is a gem of a comedy movie that remains so, no matter how many times you watch!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie reminds me of how old I am now..
aurelie_ledoyen29 November 2004
Lisa Kudrow, Mira Sorvino, Jeanne Garafolo, "lingerie" dresses, No Doubt, all stuff I remember with a sort of fondness from the 90's.

Then I think, damn, am I getting old? I mean, sure the Spice Girls aren't popular anymore. but they're at least covered in the news sometimes, right? And girl

power is still cool.....¡¡¡RIGHT??!!

In all seriousness this film was cool and didn't spend every five minutes of the film making the characters do something more "likeable" for you..it didn't care and just went for it. This made me wanna watch Clueless again..even

SheDevil... hell, even the B-rated 90s movies are better than the best ones out today.
An awfully bad movie.
Sjoerd (Filmfan-NL)9 December 2002
SPOILERS AHEAD The story: We see two stereotype (unpopular in highschool) blondes (and the best looking of all, yeah right) being made fun of by the popular broads. One of these is clearly the bossy type, the others of course do not dislike our main characters so much but want to fit in and play along. Have we seen this before, yes a million times or more. Next we see them -unchanged ???- but 10 years later, thinking of how they will 'do' in the high school reunion. Bore bore. Okay. They make up the story: we're business-women who invented the 3m post-its, we'll be so admired, yawn. Loan a neat car and go. Argue about who of them did invent the post-its and split up before they enter the reunion. Then one dreams of how the event goes - o unhappy end, they fight even when they're 80. Pop - wakes up! At the reunion both tell they invented the post-it. A third girl (gets her lover in the end too)spoils the joke by telling who did actually invent it. O you naughty girls lied, oooohhh. Laughing stock. So then they (have to) stick together again, it is not important to be successful, it's about being yourself. And everybody but bossy-bitch now likes them and their cool outfits. @#%@^^@%!!!!!!! And the real turn off is the end. Of course the most successful guy (and still himself of course, NOT) gets the girl, and the two girls become... themselves? Well that too, but above all:SUCCESSFUL in their business. And the bad girl is dumped by all.

In a nutshell. Seen it, been there done that disliked it... Why do American comedies always pretend to esteem showing your true personality higher than success and without exception end with all 'good' people being successful ???? It is beyond me. Are we 'like' idiots ?

Trash instantly. Forget this one. No rent, no watch on telly no nothing. Too bad Pheebs is in it, I like her 'like' sooo in Friends. And Romy is a nice chick allright. But no actress.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty entertaining, if you're into "dumb" humor
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews13 July 2004
This is another movie that takes the "dumb blond" stereotype and builds on it, just like, for example, Legally Blond(e). The difference is that this film actually accomplishes it pretty well, and comes up with far more great humor, something that is probably mostly due to the R-rating(Legally Blond has a different rating, a PG-13, I believe). That doesn't mean that the film is packed with nudity or profanity, though. It does have its share of F-words, and the two main characters(among others) do show a little skin, but nothing serious. Most teens should be able to see this as well, and laugh at it. About the "laugh at it", though, I will say that the film requires you to be able to laugh at fairly simple humor. It's not going to make anyone form philosophical ideas about it, nor is it going to impress you in any way, it only tries to entertain, and it succeeds, depending on, of course, whether or not you can laugh at dumb humor. It mostly consists of stereotypes(main stereotype being the "dumb blond" one), but as long as you can accept that, you should be able to find it fairly amusing. I definitely laughed out loud at a few occasions, and was chuckling at many more. The plot is pretty good, it's about Romy and Michele(as you probably guessed from the title), who, 10 years after high school haven't really gotten anywhere with their lives, and are told about a high school reunion. Fearing they may not impress their former schoolmates, they try to improve their lives. Hilarity ensues. The film has a pretty good, slow, unhurried pace throughout, very much like another teen comedy, American Pie. It doesn't hurry from one scene to the next, but it doesn't bore you either. The acting is pretty good, especially by the two leads, Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow. The supporting cast is also pretty good, especially Janeane Garofalo and Alan Cumming. I very much enjoyed Garofalo's sarcastic character, and her acting was great. The main characters also have great on-screen chemistry, I think. The characters were sufficiently well-written and credible, for a bunch of stereotypes. The soundtrack for this film was also pretty good. The films climax, that takes place at the actual reunion, is packed with pretty much every single reunion-cliche that you can think of, but still manages to entertain. All in all, a good comedy if you can enjoy the fairly simple-minded comedy of it. I recommend it to fans of "dumb" humor comedies, like Dumb and Dumber, and various other Jim Carrey comedies. Also, fans of dumb-blond jokes might also finds this amusing. 7/10
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tries to be funny, but rarely is.
chojindsl21 July 2002
Boy, what a dissapointment all the way. I saw the trailers for this and it looked like fun. I thought Dumb and Dumber was great fun, even if not all of the jokes hit home, but Romy and Michele's High School Reunion was almost tiresome to watch. The only character I really liked was Jeanne Garfalo.

The thing that probably annoys me the most is the ending. I mean Michelle never gave Sandy the time of day, but all of a sudden he's rich and that makes her like him all of a sudden. I mean how superficial can you get? I just find that the ending turns michelle into a slut, but Im probably taking the whole thing too seriousely. Perhaps my problem with the ending is that the whole thing is displayed as IF she had all of a sudden developed feelings for this guy, whom she ignored throughout school and hadnt seen in years.

Anyway, ignore this movie, there are plenty of other high school movies that are funnier and more entertaining than this.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this