Nico the Unicorn (1998) Poster

A nice little gem for family viewing!
BrownCam4 June 1999
A Canadian film about a mother and son who move after an accident that has killed the husband/father and crippled the son. Feeling alone and somewhat bitter the son visits the circus only to find a neglected pony. After purchasing the horse he discovers it's pregnant and guess what it gives birth to? A unicorn! Needless to say, life then takes a turn for the better... Charming and touching film, perhaps much better than you'd ever expect, this is great for an older family audience.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
zparticles27 August 2004
I stumbled across this Canadian movie by chance on cable TV. I'd never heard of it, or of Kevin Zegers, but have since became a huge fan of both. It's a simple story of a young boy (Billy Hastings) who moves to a country property with his mother, and acquires a pony, who turns out to have magical abilities. Features fine performances by Kevin Zegers, Ann Archer (as Billy's mother), and Elisha Cuthbert (as Billy's classmate Carolyn). The screenplay is by Frank Sacks, who based it on his children's book of the same name. I was so happy when I found this movie on DVD, and would recommend it to anyone who loves kids/family movies, and of course to any fan of Kevin Zegers.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Children will enjoy it, although the plot doesn't quite make sense, at times
inkblot118 August 2011
Billy (Kevin Zegers) and his widowed mother, Julie (Anne Archer) have moved to the western United States to start their lives over. This is important especially to Julie, who needs to get away from the memories of what she has lost. Billy, however, is not very happy at the moment, for going to a new school is difficult. You see, Billy has a disability, one of his legs works very poorly and running is not possible. It also makes him a point of curiosity as he shuffles to classes. Only Carolyn (Elisha Cuthbert) extends the hand of true friendship to Billy. On the way home from school, one day, Billy comes upon a tent with a sign of "unusual animals". Its a put-on, as the pony Billy finds inside has a "fake" unicorn horn tied onto his head. When the owner can't make the pony obey, he beats the little animal, right in front of the young boy. Stunned, Billy rescues the pony and takes her home. Julie is aghast, as they have little money for the creature but she relents. All too soon, they learn the pony is expecting a baby. When the foal arrives, it turns out to be a REAL UNICORN. As Julie is being courted by a local law officer named Tom (Michael Ontkean) she is away when a mountain lion kills the pony-mother. But, the foal, named Nico, grows at a rapid place and starts to change the yard into a replica of the Garden of Eden, for the folklore says that's where the creatures originated. But, rumors abound that a unicorn is in the area and everyone wants to exploit the animal if found. Will Billy find a way to help Nico escape the clutches of the wrong hands? This is a film children will enjoy, as it is visually nice and most everyone loves unicorns. But, the plot has some flaws and nonsensical elements, preventing it from being truly great. A Canadian movie, the cast is nice, as Archer always does a fine job and Ontkean, Zegers, Cuthbert, and all of the rest play their parts well. The scenery is also lovely, with mountains and such. Therefore, if your family has run out of ideas for the next kids-and-kin film night, this flick would entertain the clan for an evening.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful!
nikkitheunicorn31 July 2005
Fabulous film about a young dis-illusioned boy, devastated by the death of his father and a crippling injury sustained in a car crash. Hope is found however, when he rescues a half dead mare from a circus who turns out to be pregnant with a beautiful unicorn, Nico! Nicos magic brings happiness and hope to a boy and his mom who both find the path to love and happiness once again. Taunted by bullies and scared for Nico's safety,together they make there daring escape to paradise. through lion infested woods and deep chasms they flee to safety. Nico is brilliant a true wonder! Magical and entertaining stuff for the whole family to enjoy. Recommended for all age groups. Nicos on screen presence is the best for an animal actor since champion the wonder horse!Love it to bits!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I READ THE BOOK!!!!
makito-15 June 2004
When I was in third grade, I picked up the book and fell in love with it!

Now, five years later, I'm flicking through the channels and I see a movie for it! I am now watching it....*hugz Billy and his coolness* one comment on the difference between the book and the movie: I don't think the Carolyn was the same type of girl as she is in the book. (She rides a Vespa scooter in the book and is a lot more of a tough girl) but i love this actress, so I'll make an exception. I haven't read (or seen) the book since, so I don't remember a lot, but wow! I almost forgot about the mountain lions, and about his mom!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pony gives birth to a Unicorn
marksaal21 December 2004
This movie teaches us a little bit about love, life, AND EACH OTHER. The kid in the movie is supposed to be crippled, except he can walk and run fine. He has a cheesy limp which is barely noticeable, but for some reason all the kids at school pick on him. The best is when he hits a home run while playing baseball and trips on second base because of his gimp leg. Idiot.

The best part of this movie is the fact that a PONY gives birth to a full-size UNICORN. Like, the only thing more imaginary than a Unicorn is a pony giving birth to anything, because it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. It would be like a 3 year old girl giving birth to a Centuar.

The cool thing about this movie was the magical things I learned about Unicorns. I thought unicorns were just rad to look at - I didn't know they had useless powers! These powers include: (1) Flowers grow wherever unicorns walk (2) Their horn grows 4 inches every day at some random point, usually marked by a wind chime noise and glittery graphics (3) Thats it
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.