Mimic (1997) Poster

(1997)

So that's what those mystery stains are in the subway!
BrandtSponseller13 February 2005
After a devastating disease traced back to New York City's cockroach population is eliminated by using a genetically engineered superbug that wiped out the roach population, it seems that everyone--especially the previously affected kids--is in the clear. That is, until one of the superbugs--which were supposed to be infertile and have a short lifespan--shows up in the subway system years later, larger and nastier than ever.

Take 1950s "nature run amok" horror/sci-fi, combine it with Alien (1979), add in the production design sensibilities found in Alien 3 (1992), set it in the "modern day" New York City subway system, and you've got Mimic. That may sound too derivative for some tastes, but I neither give points for originality nor subtract them for a lack of originality. All that matters to me is that a film works on its own terms, and Mimic, despite a couple small flaws, is very effective.

Those couple small flaws include that you have to pay a lot of attention during the beginning if you want to catch all of the backstory--it moves by very quickly, with pertinent information frequently mumbled or given in the background, and some of the attack scenes are a bit too dark and cut to simulate a whirling dervish.

The biggest asset is the production design. Mimic has a delicious horror atmosphere that you could cut with a knife. Of course it's easy to achieve cringe-worthy moments when the screen is filled with bugs and characters are crawling down (and in some cases living in) dingy subway tunnels, but almost every shot in the film has a similar effect. Gloom, decay and disturbing, unidentifiable biological masses are the visual themes. The creature designs are fantastic, with the "mimicking" design being the most impressive.

Of course, the plot is somewhat predictable, and the "don't tamper with nature" subtext is as conspicuous here as it was in Frankenstein (1931), but predictability isn't a flaw here, and Frankenstein was a masterpiece. Mimic has an absorbing story, with likable characters and suspense to spare.
76 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best SF/Horror Hybrids of the 90s
Space_Mafune7 November 2002
With a continuous build-up of suspense and terror, watching this film you never really know whether or not any of the leading protagonists will make it out alive. The science fiction story line is almost convincing enough to make parts of the plot seem possible. F. Murray Abraham has an outstanding guest role and gets to deliver the best lines in the film. Despite criticism directed towards her, I felt Mira Sorvino was also quite good and believable in her role. The direction of Guillermo Del Toro is tight and well-paced. The only real criticism I have is there are a few too many convenient chance meetings and a few too many instances of people being in the right (or wrong) place at the right time. Also I felt the movie was just a little too quick in unveiling its mystery.
53 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark and atmospheric horror
bob the moo21 January 2002
In New York a disease carried by cockroaches threatens to wipe out a whole generation of children. A scientist, Susan Tyler, breeds a new bug that mimics the cockroach and wipes out the disease. However years later something is living in New York's subways that looks human. Tyler suspects that her breed has not died out but has evolved to imitate it's natural predator - us. Her investigations into the subway lead her to more than she bargained for.

This is an atmospheric thriller from Guillermo del Toro, director of The Devil's Backbone and Cronos. He manages to mix great director with good old fashioned monster horror to great effect. The concept itself is clever, even if the idea of bugs evolving to look very like humans is a little far fetched. However, once the action moves to the subway the fact that the bugs are clearly lethal no matter what they look like, makes this less important. The film is quite short and makes the action come quicker and seem more urgent. Several people get killed by the bug that wouldn't usually get killed in this sort of horror (children for example), this is very effective as it is quite scary to see the unexpected happen.

The mood is dark throughout and Del Toro uses the sewers and subway to great effect, creating a real sense of claustrophobia - like the humans have entered the bug's world and not the other way round. The bugs are shown early on in the film - usually not a good idea (keep it hidden in the Jaws way), but here the special effects are good enough to make the bug really believable. However the horror is not in seeing the bugs but in they way they hunt and kill - the fear is in what could happen. That's why seeing them doesn't take anything away.

The cast are great, Sorvino especially is very good in the lead. Jeremy Northam and Charles S. Dutton are good in support and Abraham Murray adds a bit of cameo class (though his role is quite unnecessary). But the director is the real star adding some genuine scares and real mood to a film that could have easily been just another creature-feature that goes straight to video and straight to the back of your mind.

Overall a superior creature horror film.
34 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An underrated movie in about every way.
Terr3215 October 2000
I realize that there have been LOTS of giant bug movies made, but there have been very few that have had a combination of great acting and superior special effects. This movie has both and throw in a lot of suspense. There are great moments in this movie that it seems passed most people by. No, it wasnt a big money maker(I honestly dont remember it hitting the theaters)but it is tremendous movie. Some didnt like the ending, but I did. I came to like these characters so much that I wanted them to survive. Thats a tribute to the actors for creating interesting characters. By comparison to other movies of this kind, I would say it belongs in the top five. If Aliens is counted as a 'bug' movie, I feel it is on top and I would put the 50's ant movie Them up there, too. Mimic belongs there, without question. It deserves so much more than the ratings Ive seen on here. Its a 9 out of 10 in my book.
34 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good for this type of movie
SKG-225 February 1999
I must confess I'm not a big fan of these type of movies, but since Mira Sorvino was in it, and John Sayles and Steven Soderburgh both worked on the script, I thought I'd give it a shot. This was actually pretty good, because they paid attention to the science without becoming clinical about it, and it was more interesting and credible than I expected (then again, science was never my subject). The second half of the movie is pretty much a chase movie, but that's well done for the most part, though Charles S. Dutton wears out his welcome pretty quickly in a thankless role. Sorvino is as good as I expected.
42 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could Have Been A Whole Lot Worse
Theo Robertson7 July 2003
The idea of a film featuring genetically modified humanoid insects stalking the streets of New York makes me believe it would have a long shelf life - It`d spend a long time on a shelf waiting for a distributor , but MIMIC was far better than I expected . Director Guillermo Del Toro rightly concentrates on mood and atmosphere and also deserves a mention for making sure the cast didn`t camp the film up because it`s the sort of film that`s difficult for actors to believe in but everyone on screen takes it absolutely seriously . The screenwriters also deserve some praise for taking a ludicurous premise ( Remember we`re talking humanoid insects here ) and writing a story that makes you forget you`re watching something laughably far fetched . We also get to learn that soldier insects have to be killed stone dead in order to stop fighting and that insects take their pray to an underground lair to be eaten so the audience learns something about both insects and how to telegraph a script . My only criticism about the screenplay is that it does feel rather like an ALIENS type movie towards the end but that`s a very minor criticism .

So I fairly enjoyed MIMIC . It`s not as good as QUATERMASS AND THE PIT which is the greatest film to have the underground transport system as its setting but it`s a whole lot better than other subway or bug movies
40 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb, atmospheric, visually brilliant film
drdancm-225 July 2002
If you look at the review comments on this film you generally get either very negative or very positive comments. In other words the reviewers fall into two different camps. Those who don't like Mimic and dismiss it often compare it to Aliens. Some of these people complain about the plot and acting in negative ways. Those who like this movie, talk about the wonderful visuals, the brooding atmosphere, the superb artwork. If you pay attention to the art in film you will like this movie. Mimic succeeds in capturing the feeling and atmosphere of really good sf books which is rarely translate with much success to movies.

Unlike most horror/sci-fi flicks Mimic has an intelligent protagonist, a woman scientist, who uses her head, and displays more courage and good sense than any of the men in the movie. Sure there are some silly gimmicks in Mimic, but overall the plot is far more logical than virtually every so called science fiction movie made in Hollywood. In any case the music, sounds, effect, the sets and the insects are superbly done. I give it 10 out of 10 for its genre.
35 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as it had any right to be.
gridoon9 July 2003
Just like the giant cockroaches in the movie mimic their predators (humans), director Guillermo Del Toro mimics David Fincher's style in "Seven": gimmicky opening credits, excessively dark photography, constant rain, claustrophobic atmosphere. Nonetheless, it is his superior craftsmanship and visual sense that elevates this otherwise standard, conventional monster movie into an above-average standard, conventional monster movie. He is helped, of course, by a capable cast (Mira Sorvino holds her own as the lead), and by the impressively designed creatures, which look much better than the monsters in some more recent horror films. (**1/2)
51 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B-movie masterpiece.
FilmSnobby2 August 2004
What happened to Guillermo Del Toro? On the strength of his first foreign "indie" feature *Cronos*, and then this minor masterwork (his first foray into Hollywood), one was expecting great things from this director. Lately, however, he's doing hack-work on things like *Blade 2*. Whatever -- Hollywood, I guess.

In the meantime, please check out *Mimic*, if you haven't already. Yeah yeah, sure sure, it owes a lot to *Alien* (visually), *Invasion of the Body Snatchers* (thematically), and even Fincher's *Seven* (visually again). But then, those movies owe a lot to their OWN influences: indeed, science fiction is a pretty incestuous genre, with surprisingly few innovations, at least in cinema. It's enough of a pleasure to watch a guy do this type of thing correctly, which is to say, he puts his own vision and concerns to great use. This movie, like all great genre pictures, exists comfortably in two spheres: on the simple level, it speedily entertains as a gory fright film imbued with mordant humor; on the more difficult level, it provides symbolism and thematic undertow. Best of all, these two levels often work at the same time, such as when an old priest gets tossed off a building by one of the creatures, plummeting past a neon "JESUS SAVES" sign, and crashing to a gory death on the pavement. A little while later, the creature drags the dead body into the gaping black maw of an open sewer.

The corpse is gone, forever. JESUS SAVES--? Not really, I guess: not in Del Toro's world of relentless survivalism and hyper-competitive reproduction.

For the latter is what *Mimic* is really "about": the importance of breeding and offspring. The movie's surreal opening, with its rows of linen-canopied hospital beds all in a row like so many little coffins, shows us sick children, gasping for air because a cockroach-borne disease is carrying them off. The battle lines are drawn in the first few moments: Us versus Them. The casualties thus far are our most precious commodity: our kids. Cutie-pie "scientists" Mia Sorvino and Jeremy Northam glean the cure for the dread disease by concocting a genetically-altered bug whose secretions kill off the diseased cockroaches. But this "Judas Breed", as it's called, will be the only true breed this couple will engender: Sorvino fails pregnancy tests at home, while their creature -- supposedly unable to reproduce -- grows apace underneath Manhattan's fallopian sewers. Which, by the way, are strewn with the rapidly-developing creatures' eggs. It merely seems like "Nature's Way" that the Judas Breed has mutated to the size of six feet, and can mimic standing upright like their ultimate "prey", Man -- even sporting a man-like face as a sort of cover that splits apart at will, revealing the Bug Within. It's also fitting that these creatures instinctively hone in on the vulnerability of children: they viciously rip apart two kids, and befriend another who has managed to communicate with them by clicking soup-spoons together. (Perhaps they consider the little bugger might be a possible playmate for their own offspring, while they wait for him to get big enough to eat.)

Del Toro ties in his reproductive symbolism with religious motifs. ("Judas Breed.") The bugs, for instance, desecrate an old Catholic church in the city . . . but then, they're helped in this by the humans, who have barred entry to the church and have covered up the wooden saint statues with cobwebby plastic covering. Humanity, playing God by "giving birth" to unhallowed creatures, unwittingly colludes in its own extinction by denying God, to say nothing of the aforementioned curse of sterility. I've already covered the fate of the priest. There's much more, including Charles Dutton's physical sufferings that amount to a sort of mini-Passion, as well as another character's use of a pseudo-stigmata to kill one of the creatures.

But the best pleasures reside squarely in the thrills and fun of the thing. If nothing else, the scene in which a Judas Breed reveals itself to a running-away Sorvino -- running after her, scooping her up, and then flying off into the dark subway tunnel -- justifies the rest of the film's symbolic mumbo-jumbo. Speaking of Sorvino: quibble about her inadequacy all you want, but she's pretty (when not covered in bug-guts), and in any case Dutton's heroic performance cancels out the bimbo factor. Dutton gives his all in this film. Luckily for him and us, the film is more than worthy of his efforts.
37 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark and grimy, sure, but also weightless and messy
aidenpedersen9 September 2020
Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on this film, considering I went in expecting it to be significantly better, but there was honestly nothing compelling about this film. Right off the bat, the inciting incident is very lackluster. We barely get anything to fully understand the scale of what's going on, and somehow that stays consistent for the entire runtime. This film is also pretty hard to get into because of the characters. It's possible that with better actors, they could've been far more compelling, yet, unfortunately, I still highly doubt that. Because of the lackluster characters, I never felt anything when they were in danger, which isn't something you want in a horror film. I usually like Guillermo del Toro, and while his direction at least shines a little bit, and there are elements that could lead me to believe he was actually interested in this project, it felt ridiculously weightless and messy. I didn't even find this to be 'so bad its funny', which is really irritating, because at least those are kinda fun. Mimic, despite having a short runtime of 1 hour and 45 minutes, STILL felt too long.

3.1/10
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Under-rated Gem
gigan-9220 March 2012
I can't believe this movie has a 5.8 while the likes of something as sh*tty as "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" has a 6.7. For God's sake the first Quarantine has around a 6.0, and I'd rather stick a hot needle in my eye till it sizzled and popped (curtsey of "Under Siege 2") then go thru the grueling experience of watching that film again. This film is under the helm of Guillermo del Toro, and it has a number of merits going for it. While the story may be one we have seen before, the characters he fills it with are far from bland. Mira Sorvino is sexy as well as great lead female, Jeremy Northam is also very good and Charles S. Dutton is great. Also, Josh Brolin is very good in it, kind of an asshole, but good. And if you're a real del Toro fan, keep your eyes out for a cameo of Norman Reedus and Doug Jones.

Another thing that separates this film from the bunch is incredible production design. Compared to the dull sets seen in "Quarantine", this film speaks volumes about the decay of mankind. Dingy, disgusting, dark, and decrepit, and that's just the d's that describe the awesome look of the film. And complimenting this is one of the maestro Marco Beltrami's master scores. Nice use of the eerie chorus adds greatly to many scenes. Where was "Quarantine" (s) score? Oh I forgot it was trying so hard to be 'realistic'. Thing is both films do have more or less seen before plots, but "Mimic" excels because it is so much more artistic at it. At the base of entertainment, film is still rooted in being an art form, and so hold "Mimic" to be in high caliber compared to the sh*tfest of most horror films today.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You've got a HUGE bug problem, lady...
Coventry13 May 2006
With "Cronos" being immensely popular among horror-loving audiences, its Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro was quickly offered a reasonable budget and an adequate crew to shoot his very first US film. The result was "Mimic"; a surprisingly ordinary Sci-Fi thriller that balances between an "Alien" rip-off and a typically 70's creature feature. It's not a bad film and definitely one of the best achievements of the weak 90's decade, but it lacks something special, something exclusive to make it truly memorable and/or an absolute genre favorite. The film revolves on a deadly plague of genetically manipulated cockroaches and the mimicking of the title reverts to the scientific fact (apparently) that certain insects physically 'imitate' their natural enemies. What I really appreciated about the film is the whole background-story why Dr. Susan Tyler tampered with the DNA of cockroaches in the first place! No deranged scientists messing with Mother Nature's creations to boost up their own egos this time, as the genetically altered cockroaches exterminated the carriers of a disastrous epidemic that nearly killed an entire generation of New York children. Only, the new & stronger roaches refused to die afterwards... Three years later, the species moved itself up a couple of places in the food chain and lurks its human pray in the subway tunnels beneath the city. "Mimic" eventually disappoints because of the shoddy special effects and some hopelessly muddled sub plots. A boy obsessed with shoes? Dubious 12-year-old merchants?? The impenetrably dark subway-setting hasn't got anything original to offer and there sure are scarier monsters than man-sized cockroaches. Del Toro's directing is occasionally very stylish, especially during the atmospheric opening sequences with the aforementioned eerie epidemic, and Mira Sorvino is truly good as the lead heroine. Good supportive cast, too, with F. Murray Abraham ("Amadeus", "The Name of the Rose"), Giancarlo Giannini ("Black Belly of the Tarantula") and Norman Reedus in his (very small) debut role.
24 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stylish horror with great visuals.
paulclaassen22 April 2019
I love Guillermo del Toro's films for his unique vision and storytelling. 'Mimic' is one of his early feature films and already back then his trademark visionary style became evident. The film manages to create suspense from ordinary, everyday events. I enjoyed the husband and wife team Dr Susan Tyler (Mira Sorvino) and Dr Peter Mann (Jeremy Northam). The sincere, strong bond between them made me root for them even more.

The Underground scenes with the cast being trapped inside a stationary train and being attacked by giant roaches were by far the film's best scenes. Charles S. Dutton had a small role, but delivered! There are a few genuinely disturbing scenes as the giant roaches attack young children. The little boy constantly clapping spoons was a bit annoying, though, although I understand the relevance of this character. The film's visual effects are very good.

The ending leaves the door wide open for a sequel. (Just a pity the original characters and cast did not reprise their roles in the sequel).
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary at times, but suffers from a bad script.
greg-2539 January 2008
*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

I'd seen this when it came out in 1997 and had mixed feelings - not knowing the director that Del Toro would evolve into. Having seen his newer films, I decided to revisit this. I still feel the same. The main issue is the script. Character believability and the ease with which certain problems are resolved - is central to the problem. Whether it's effectively powering up an ancient subway system with a pair of eyeglass frames or surviving the vortex of a monster gas explosion that manages to kill almost everything else...plausibility suffers badly in the third act. That being said...there is much to be scared of here. There are many great moments and tensely directed scenes - unfortunately, they are often broken up by ham-fisted writing and the aforementioned convenient solutions. I loved the creature FX, production design - and the cinematography was solid. I wonder how much control Del Toro had on this film and if studio interference might have played a role in the neatly resolved finale. To Del Toro's credit, he has gone on to make much better films. In truth, there is a much better film within Mimic.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Freaky!
JOS8724 September 1999
Well I saw this movie at 2:00 am, so it really freaked me out. In the beginning there's a bunch of sick kids so Mira Sorvino invents a bug that, well does something, obviously- I didn't really get that. Then three years later those bugs grow into huge insects that fly and kill people. Mira Sorvin was pretty good actually and I must say that a lot of the performances were good, or at least I thought so. The idea is good, and the bugs look realistic, it's a pretty good movie actually, I enjoyed it, of course I couldn't get any sleep after it but I liked it. 4 outta 5
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smart movie, goes over most reviewer's heads.
d-millhoff15 October 2005
Mimic is an extremely smart movie that respects the intelligence of its audience,and that may be its greatest downfall.

I won't go into the atmosphere and effects, all of which are excellent. The other reviews here pretty much cover that gambit to good effect. It's a great horror flick, crawling with the sort of subtle and interesting touches that give good movies that 'something extra'.

My peeve isn't with the movie itself, but rather with the "dumbed-down" advertising and descriptions that lead to all sorts of miscomprehensions in reviews, not to mention a couple of bad sequels that took off in a very-wrong direction.

If one were to read and accept these reviews, and had any understanding of genetics or evolution, they'd be prone to dismiss the movie off-hand. Don't make that mistake. The story simply went over their head.

This isn't a dumb monster flick. Much the opposite, it's so smart the copywriters and reviewers didn't "get" some of its more intelligent aspects.

Just see it!
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing, Beautiful Film
drdancm-218 March 2004
This is a masterpiece, not only as an SF film, but in the context of all films, but as usual this is not for your average viewer, who, unfortunately is unable to appreciate it on a visual artistic level, or an intellectual one. Unlike most SF films, the story is developed very well without the usual glaring gaps in science and technology. Credit goes to using a short story written by a real SF writer, Donald Wollheim, instead of the usual Hollywood hack, who doesn't know a transistor from a donut, as well as the people who adapted it without messing it up.

Much of the scenery, makeup etc. reminds me of some of Fellini's movies, with an atmosphere that is truly frightening, like a nightmare. It is beautiful and haunting and draws you in like any well told story.

It is also refreshing to have the main protagonist a young woman who is both smart and courageous (also very pretty, but that's not unusual). Moreover, she and her husband (both scientists) are not the usual negative stereotypes, but more like the real scientists that I'm acquainted with.

A lot of my friends who are generally not too interested in SF movies really loved this movie for it's beauty.

If you liked Road Warrior, Blade Runner,TimeBandits, Brazil, Fisher Kings, Delicatessen, City of Lost Children (all of which I like very much) you will probably like this movie as well. This is probably the best movie on the subject in the SF, horror genre.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'll never look at two spoons the same again
engelen_steven20 October 2001
Splendid movie, as many without a decent base for the story, but if you accept the conception of the virus-killer, you can only admit the events seem likely. Not a movie I swiftly forgot. Pity the sequel didn't turn out to be even better, or very renewing.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Man-sized super cockroaches in the subway tunnels of New York
Wuchakk10 November 2017
RELEASED IN 1997 and directed by Guillermo del Toro, "Mimic" is a nature-runs-amok movie about a Manhattan entomologist (Mira Sorvino) who genetically creates an insect with a virulent disease to kill cockroaches. Three years later these insects have evolved into man-sized creatures with an uncanny ability and are bent on wiping out their only predator, humankind. Jeremy Northam plays her hubby while Charles S. Dutton appears as a subway cop and Josh Brolin as (I think) a detective.

It is said that you shouldn't allow your mistakes to bring you down; after all, even God made the cockroach. All joking aside, this is a serious creature feature with a dark tone similar to "The Relic," released the same year. I mean 'dark tone' both figuratively and literally, as the proceedings take place at nighttime in the city or in the underground tunnels. Thankfully, it's not as dark (literally) as "The Relic."

The creatures are top-of-the-line and are just as good, if not better, than the best movie monsters you can cite. Unfortunately, there's very little human interest or interesting subtext to draw one into the events. The characters are mostly forgettable while the mindfood amounts to "Don't fool with mother nature." But I do like how the story turns into a survival situation in the tunnels by the third act wherein the protagonists have to use their wits to survive. If you love cockroaches (and who doesn't?) you'll like this movie.

THE MOVIE RUNS 105 minutes and was shot in Toronto with some stuff done in Los Angeles. WRITERS: Matthew Robbins & del Toro wrote the script from Donald A. Wollheim's story.

GRADE: C+/B- (5.5/10)
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A smart , hip adrenaline rush movie well realized by Guillermo Del Toro
ma-cortes6 January 2013
Eerie film with astonishing images , suspenseful and original direction by Guilermo Del Toro . Three years ago entomologist Dr. Susan Tyler (Mira Sorvino) genetically created an insect to kill cockroaches carrying a virulent disease . For thousands of years, man has been evolution's greatest creation , now the insects are out to destroy their only predator, mankind . Susan and Peter (Jeremy Northam) are called in to investigate.

This heart-pounding picture is full of suspense ,thrills , mystery, lots of gore and a storm criticism to genetic engineering . This slick monster-feast is a triumph of style , well paced and full of frightening scenes . It's packed with overwhelming body count , loathing scenes , grotesque killing, and rivers of red blood . Interesting as well as thought-provoking screenplay by Matthew Robbins and the same director ,screenwriters Matt Greenberg and John Sayles are uncredited in the movie, but were credited in some of the trailers . The movie delivers the goods with hair-rising chills and noisy scares when the giant cockroaches appear savagely stalking and attacking its preys , including children . This is an OK amusing juvenile with interesting characters and scientific plot but quite entertaining . It's remarkable for FX recreation the ferocious and carnivorous beast developing a bloodthirsty hunger for human eating . The actors give vigorous physical performances dodging the giant bugs recreated by means of make-up realized by Rob Bottin , adding the prolific computer generator, as usual . The mutant cockroaches , themselves, of course, are the real stars, and they're marvellous terrifying astounding, and quite convincing .The picture is smartly designed and stylishly photographed by Dan Laustsen . Thrilling and intriguing musical score by Marco Beltrani . The motion picture was well directed by Guillermo Del Toro , though the scene where Mira Sorvino and Jeremy Northam walk in the hall with all the sick kids lying in their beds was actually directed by Ole Bornedal, one of the producers on the film . Del Toro delivers the terror movie goods with sense of style , though was originally planned as a single 30-min. short as part of a feature of sci-fi/horror/comedy shorts by Miramax. Director Guillermo del Toro disowned the film after constant clashes with Bob Weinstein, who would frequently visit the set and make unreasonable demands about what should be shot, deviating away from the script , since then del Toro has never worked with the Weinsteins. Guillermo is an expert on murky atmosphere such as proved in ¨Cronos¨ , ¨Pan's labyrinth¨, ¨Hellboy I¨ and ¨Hellboy 2¨. The picture will appeal to horror buffs and Guillermo Del Toro fans . It's followed by two sequels : Mimic 2 with Alix Koromzay , John Polito and Bruno Campos ; and Mimic 3 with Lance Henriksen and Karl Geary .
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Guillermo Del Toro Monster Movie
Darkside-Reviewer15 September 2019
The first time I saw this movie was in 2001 on VHS and the younger me saw a really good monster movie that made me fear Cockroaches and other such insects after seeing them evolve in this movie to a bigger and more disgusting insectoid.

I recently rewatched this movie in 2019 after someone told me it's actually a Guillermo Del Toro movie and as a big fan of his movies I wanted to see what I had missed all those years ago and honestly I have a bigger appreciation for this movie as an adult and movie buff what I thought was a simple monster movie was actually a lot more interesting and thought out than I realised with great cinematography suspence and a dark and gritty look to the movie that after watching the characters move around in disgusting wet and moldy subway tunnels makes you wanna take a shower afterwards.

The movie follows Dr Susan Taylor (Mira Sorvino) a scientist and insect specialist and her husband Dr Peter Mann (Jeremy Northam) who is a specialist on diseases for the CDC who after an outbreak of a deadly disease that is carried by Cockroaches that is deadly to children they work together to create a new breed of Cockroache that when released into the insect population kills all other Cockroaches then dies unable to breed or survive longer than designed to three years pass and all signs of the disease have vanished but now people have been dissappearing in the subways of the city and Susan comes across a new breed of Cockroache with the same genetic markers as the ones she created only these are much bigger smarter and have evolved to mimic there predators humans now she and her husband take to the subway tunnels to find out how the Cockroaches survived and undo the mess they created.

I highly recommend this movie to any horror movie fan and fans of monster movies Del Toro brings his unique style of writing and directing to this movie and even though this is considered a B movie and Del Toros early work its still worth your time and gives the effort of an A movie.

I recommend getting the 2017 Directors Cut release of the movie either on Blu Ray or DVD it is much better than the theatrical release and has added scenes and is remastered for better quality also the special features and interviews with Del Toro are interesting and in them he is quoted as saying "This version of the movie is what I wanted to create from the start"
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated slasher monster creature horror flick from Guillermo del Toro!
ivo-cobra82 October 2016
Mimic (1997) is underrated "creature feature" flick from director Guillermo del Toro, starring Mira Sorvino. This is my favorite film from Guillermo del Toro, I can only enjoy this film and Blade II those are the only films from this guy I can only enjoy! I watched yesterday Pacific Rim and that movie sucked, just finished watching Mimic Director's Cut and this movie is fantastic for a 90's horror flick. If you hate this film that is fine I love it to death. Mira Sorvino is fanatic in this film I absolutely love her role as Susan Tyler, this was her best role ever! The movies I can only enjoy from the actress are this movie and The Replacement Killers (1998) which I have extended cut on Blu-ray and hopefully I will get Mimic on Blu-ray too. I actually remember seeing the trailer for this movie on VHS when I rented some movie and I remember likening it the trailer so I have ranted the VHS in the video store in 99 when I was a teen. This film is very underrated gem and very fun creature slasher monster film to watch. I don't care for the sequels because there is no Mira Sorvino in it.

Plot: Three years ago, entomologist Dr. Susan Tyler genetically created an insect to kill cockroaches carrying a virulent disease. Now, the insects are out to destroy their only predator, mankind.

I love the acting about this movie, specially from Mira Sorvino I really love the actress to death, she acted perfectly. The plot and the story was brilliant well originally and well done. The special effects haven't aged very well but the excellent cinematography makes up for it. The acting is fine considering the type of movie it is. I must say I was even pleasantly surprised by the performance of Charles S. Dutton. The movie in general is decent. mimic gives an amazing performance on the biology aspects of the creature, Genetic traits of Mantis and Termite bred in to Roaches. This film has a great cast and great creature effects.

In this movie you have solid cast beside Mira Sorvino like are: Giancarlo Giannini from Hannibal (2001), you also have Charles S. Dutton as NYC cop, Josh Brolin as Josh, Dr. Peter Mann's associate, you also have F. Murray Abraham as Dr. Gates, we even have Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon that has small role as Jeremy. Jeremy Northam as Dr. Peter Mann. Everyone does in this movie excellent job including in the subway station scenes. The only subway stations in the movies that I have ever saw were The Matrix, Blade III, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I and II: The Secret of Ooze (1991).

Just wanted to put a plug in for this one. Not for the insect fans among us, other than a couple of "saw it coming" situations to tug on our heartstrings, this is a solid film in the sci-fi genre. I am surprised more people haven't seen this one. Anything with wings or that flutters at me freaks me out, but it does have some good acting, and holds your attention. There was also a so-so sequel, more of the same and less quality acting, but overall not a bad film to play late at night when you're all alone!

The director Guillermo del Toro does an excellent job writing and directing this movie, again animatronics of the creatures were fantastic and the same time creepy as hell. I have enjoyed this film a lot, even the time when they creepy scenes in it from coprophages. I love the fight for survival how the characters that were trapped in the subway station had to fight and they masked them self's as the creatures by taking the duff off the dead creature on them self's. Charles S. Dutton sacrificed him self when he was bleeding that was decent. Honestly I think this movie is Miles way better than Stallone's Daylight, I hated that movie and I still do, but I love Mimic to death!

Overall: I really love this film, Mira Sorvino is fantastic in here, this and The Replacement Killers are the only movies I will ever watch from her. The rating is 10 this film is very bashed and criticized from critics and horror fans it is a Sci-fi horror creature film that does not deserve to be hated on! This is and Blade II are my favorite horror films from Guillermo del Toro.

Mimic is a 1997 American science fiction horror film co-written and directed by Guillermo del Toro based on Donald A. Wollheim's short story of the same name.

10/10 Grade: A+ Studio: Miramax Films Starring: Mira Sorvino, Jeremy Northam, Josh Brolin, Charles S. Dutton, Giancarlo Giannini, F. Murray Abraham Director: Guillermo del Toro Producers: Ole Bornedal, B. J. Rack, Bob Weinstein, Harvey Weinstein Screenplay: Matthew Robbins, Guillermo del Toro Story by Matthew Robbins, Guillermo del Toro Based on "Mimic" by Donald A. Wollheim Rated: R Running Time: 1 Hr. 45 Mins. Budget: $25.000.000 Box Office: $25,480,490
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best films, I've seen!
MovieFan98322 January 1999
Stop putting down this movie. It was a very well-made scary movie, that people should just shut their piehole, and watch it again, and maybe they will like it. A 10! Rated R for sci-fi violence/gore and language.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insect Thriller.
AaronCapenBanner28 August 2013
Academy Award winners Mira Sorvino & F. Murray Abraham star in this thriller about an entomologist(Sorvino) who creates a mutant breed of insect to infect another breed of cockroaches that have been spreading a highly contagious disease decimating the children population. The disease is stopped, but three years later, a new problem emerges when that mutant breed(engineered to die off quickly) instead survive and thrive as large insects who can mimic human beings, and who must kill...

There was much potential here for a compelling and exciting story, but somehow it feels squandered, as it becomes a standard "stalk & kill" picture with little viewer involvement in what happens, though it is well directed by Guillermo Del Toro, who apparently had creative control taken away from him, and it shows. Appealing actors cannot save it.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.