Men in Black (1997) Poster

(1997)

Smart, funny spoof that is impossible not to like!
Chromium_511 December 2004
"Men in Black" and "Galaxy Quest" are in my mind the best sci-fi comedies ever made, because they are both hilarious parodies of two different cultures. Whereas the latter spoofed obsessed fans who take sci-fi entertainment WAY too seriously, this one spoofs the paranoid, tin-foil-hat brand of conspiracy theorists. It has funny characters, witty lines, and does not at all take itself seriously.

There are a lot of small details that can take multiple viewings to catch. One thing I found funnier the second time I watched it is the scene where Will Smith has just been severely lectured by his boss in the interrogation room when Tommy Lee Jones enters, asks a few questions, and tells Smith to come with him. Smith: "I can't, there's still a lot of paperwork to fill out." Jones: "No, the paperwork is all taken care of." Smith's boss (walking by): "Hey, nice work, Edwards!" This is one of many quick, funny scenes that you only really get if you're paying attention.

All the actors do a good job, too. I thought Rip Torn was the funniest character, and Edgar the bug was hilariously gross. Linda Fiorentino was one of the coolest female characters ever. She put Ripley to shame. Every time I watch this, I want to marry her.

Overall, it's a great comedy that is clever and fun all the way through. 8/10 stars.
106 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best sci-fi comedies ever made.
crowrobot22 April 2004
As my one line summary says, this is one of the best sci-fi comedies ever made, next to the classic Ghostbusters and the highly underrated Evolution. This movie has action, comedy, and some of the best special effects in the last ten years. Rick Baker, Hollywood's resident 'creature man', as I like to call him, has made such a wide variety of aliens. There's the first alien we see, Mikey; there's the Worm Guys; and the villanous Bug. But there are many others, such as Frank the Pug and the twins. The squid baby is pretty neat. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith have an undeniable chemistry together, which repeats itself in the sequel. Linda Fiorentino is also good as the leading lady, and veteran actor Rip Torn is gruff as the head of MIB, Zed. Vincent D'Onofrio is also pretty good. My favorite line: "No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of." All in all, two thumbs up, baby!
79 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, memorable sci-fi comedy has lots of personality thanks to director, composer, and two lead actors.
Ben_Cheshire19 July 2004
Agent K (Jones)'s partner retires, so he has to find a new one. Street cop Will Smith seems an unlikely contender to join this very special service and help K battle illegal aliens.

Barry Sonnenfeld's experience as a cinematographer put him in good stead for planning this quirky fun sci-fi comedy.

Men in Black is given life by Sonnenfeld's shot-choices, for greatest comic effect, terrific fun musical score by Danny Elfman, and two perfectly cast actors: Tommy Lee Jones' wry delivery and Will Smith's comic persona make for a movie with some real personality.

Vincent D'Onofrio is a memorable bad guy - especially when we don't have to look at his regular face.

A few death scenes will be too gruesome for kiddies, but once they're a certain age its bound to be one of their favourite movies. Such terrific imaginative fun.

Woman: "You here to make fun of me, too?' K: "No maam, we here at the FBI do not have a sense of humour we're aware of. May we come in?"
85 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie action
MR_Heraclius22 February 2020
What makes this film stand out, aside from its superb effects, humor and script, is the contrast between Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. While Jones is the emotionless, smarter and wiser one out of the two, Smith is the younger and more enthusiastic. These 'Men In Black' are on a mission to save Earth from a really, really nasty bug infestation. This is one Sci-Fi film that shouldn't be missed.
30 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny Sci-Fi. As Good As Ghostbusters.
mOVIemAN5615 May 2005
As I stated above, Men In Black is just as good as the sci-fi comedies Ghostbusters I and II. But instead of chasing ghost's we're chasing after rogue aliens.

James (Will Smith) is an officer in the NYPD and one of the top officers. After a hard night, James is questioned by his own police force for allegedly killing a suspect who fell off a building. As James insists that the person was acting strangely, Agent K (Tommmy Lee Jones) comes in and takes him out.

James is welcomed to a secret agency which keeps aliens in check. After a brief examination of his life, James (now Agent J) joins the agency. On his first day, suddenly K and J are on a mission to stop a massive cockroach from destroying Earth and starting a galactic war.

The chemistry between Smith and Jones is hilarious. Smith has some great comedy scenes especially when he is using his new weapon, the Noisy Crickett and him trying to deliver a baby squid type creature. The aliens are smart, their inventive, and their just plain fun when seeing how they identify themselves and hide their identities. The story is funny and will keep you laughing at almost every scene.

The presentation of aliens as everyday people trying to live normal lives in Manhattan is a lot more fun than the presentation of murderous aliens (Independence Day). Another great part is that the film isn't overblown with special effects of alien explosions and massive battles. Instead comedy and chemistry keeps this top comedy flowing.

Men In Black. Starring: Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, Linda Fiorentino, and Rip Torn.

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars.
59 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, effects laden sci-fi comedy
mjw230523 January 2007
Agents Jay (Will Smith) and Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) protect our world, that is crammed full of aliens who live among us, and most of them are respectful citizens of planet Earth, but every race can have a bad apple or two. Smith and Jones make an unlikely pair, but they work in harmony really well here, and it's a pretty funny adventure.

Fine special effects help to bring the aliens in MIB to life, and they have as much character as the duo in black, and they get just as many laughs. The film carries a good plot and is entertaining from the opening scene; which sets the tone of the film nicely, and makes you yearn for some more.

38 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great fantasy-comedy
drevil19857 May 2005
I am very upset that most people take this movie too seriously This movie is just a nice comedy with a very intriguing subject. Most people try to find bug in this movie but i believe that they should just sit back and enjoy the great epic line. Let's be serious do you believe that a galaxy can be carried around a cat's belt or that "Elivs is not dead he's just gone home" ? For this reason I believe this is an excellent comedy with a Sf theme. I also appreciate that the acting is very good and the script is very nicely written. I urge people to stop taking the "noisy cricket" too serious! This movie is making fun of the people who take this sort of things too seriously.
40 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Unlikely Comedy Team Carries This Film
tfrizzell7 August 2000
"Men in Black" is a fast-paced action-comedy that over-achieves the whole way. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith make an amazing comedy team as the title characters who protect the Earth from the scum of the universe. Everything is tongue-in-cheek and the whole film works in a really great way. A great film that benefits from its characters and amazing special effects. 4 out of 5 stars.
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fast moving science fiction comedy.
Aaron137510 July 2005
This movie was really fun to watch the first time I saw it in theaters, upon subsequent viewings, however, it loses its luster. Still though, it is still a fun movie to watch. Unlike the sequel which rushes us through the story, this one takes a bit more time developing the characters even though it is only about ten minutes longer. Both Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are very good and funny, especially Smith because he is the new guy so he is seeing all the weird aliens and such for the first time. This is also something missing from the sequel. In the end though the reason I probably like this one so much is that it sort of reminds me of a Ghostbuster movie, and seeing as how we will most likely never see another sequel to that movie it is nice to see a movie sort of like it in that they are keeping tabs and hunting aliens rather than ghosts. The pug dog scene is funny, and the dog is not over used as in the sequel, and there is also a funny scene where Will Smith must deliver an alien baby...their main objective in this one is to track down an alien insect that has hijacked the skin of a guy and is trying to find a universe. If he succeeds the Earth is destroyed, of course Tommy Lee's character is so calm about the whole situation that you feel you have nothing to worry about. So for a funny movie that has great scenes of Will Smith training and becoming a Man in Black watch this film and do yourself a favor and skip part two...not that it was entirely bad, I liked it okay, but it just seems like an unnecessary sequel.
33 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will Smith saves the planet again ... this time in a good film!
AlsExGal5 February 2010
After the horribly cheesy "Independence Day" of the previous year, it was great to see the actor that saved that movie from being completely unwatchable - Will Smith - get a chance to save the planet in a quality film. From the opening of the film where "Mikey", an illegal alien from another planet is disguised as an illegal alien from another country, to the end when we see the earth just as a marble in a pouch of many belonging to an extraterrestrial being, I found this film to be thought provoking, original, and very funny.

Tommy Lee Jones (Agent K) and Will Smith (Agent J) are perfect in their roles. Not since Lenny Briscoe and Mike Logan were partners on "Law and Order" has the young cop/old cop routine been done so well with such great chemistry and deadpan humor. All of the supporting roles work too. Rip Torn is great as Zed, the head of the secret government organization - the "Men In Black" - who are in charge of overseeing the visits of extraterrestrials who have chosen to establish contact with earth and in some cases become semi-permanent residents of this planet. His great one-liners include telling a group of rejected job applicants - who really don't know what kind of job they've applied for - "Congratulations gentlemen. You are all we've come to expect from years of government training".

Some of the rank and file employees of the agency are aliens themselves. Unmotivated and not particularly loyal, they enjoy hanging out in the break room drinking coffee, smoking heavily, and collecting cheap miniatures of the Statue of Liberty. Vincent D'Onofrio is also outstanding in the dual role of Edgar, a human who gets eaten by a malicious alien cockroach, and also as the cockroach himself as he tools around New York City in his "brand new Edgar suit" - Edgar's skin - in an attempt to appear human while trying to start an intergalactic war.

Any human who happens to encounter an alien won't remember it thanks to the neuralizer - a device the size of a fountain pen - that the "Men In Black" administer to erase any resulting memories. This includes employees of the agency themselves, should they choose to quit or retire. The underlying purpose of all of this covering up makes sense when Smith's character, during his orientation session, tells Tommy Lee Jones that he thinks that people could handle the truth about aliens living among them. Jones' (Agent K's) response is: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky animals and you know it." This is hard to argue with when you think about the acts that people throughout history have performed as a mob that they would never have done as individuals. I really enjoyed this film, and its smart humor has held up over the years. I think in the future many will wonder, as I still do, why this film didn't get a nod at the Academy Awards other than its award for best makeup, at the very least for the screenplay.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alias Smith & Jones
george.schmidt11 April 2003
MEN IN BLACK (1997) ***1/2 Tommy Lee Jones, Will Smith, Linda Fiorentino, Vincent D'Onofrio, Rip Torn, Tony Shalhoub, Siobahn Fallon. Giddily hilarious sci-fi comedy: think a 90s "Ghostbusters" meets the "X-Files": hard-as-nails, deadpan Jones (a great master straight man) is one of many secret agents of MIB (Men In Black) recruiting steetsmart, mouthy Smith (a great wiseass) to team up and stop an intergalactic alien bug (in rotting human form D'Onofrio who gives a brilliant, funny turn) from wiping out the Earth and all mankind. Incredible out there special effects from ILM and ingenious aliens from self-professed "Monster Maker" makeup guru Rick Baker. Hip, clever dialogue and fine chemistry from the odd couple gives this comic book adaptation of Lowell Cunningham a glossy work over including Bo Welch's inventive production design and Danny Elfman's atmospheric score. Fluid direction by Barry Sonnefield.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly entertaining and funny sci-fi/comedy
brchthethird14 November 2014
I'm about 16 years late seeing this, and I saw the third one first (with no need for #2), but I must say that this is one of the most fun movie-watching experiences I've ever had. It was non-stop laughs and thrills from beginning to end. The element which stuck out to me as being done extraordinarily well was the writing, specifically the comic interplay between Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. Their characters are so different, and yet play off each other so well. Even the smaller parts were well-written and played. Of particular amusement to me was the largely physical performance given by Vincent D'Onofrio as the main bad bug. You can tell he gave it his all with his awkward speech patterns and movements. It really seemed like he was adjusting to a human body, and it was all done with a sly sense of humor. The only thing I find lacking was some dated CG, but considering it came out over 15 years ago, it was fine. If anything it adds to the B-movie charm, and some of alien design was probably influenced by 1950's "Creature Features" anyway. All things considered, it was an absolutely incredible and enthralling viewing experience. It's just a shame I waited so long to check it out.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great memories from my chidhood watching this!
deatman918 April 2013
I remember when I was about eight or nine and this movie first came out. I loved it so much as many of the kids my age did. I must have watched it 100 times and to this day I still enjoy it. It is easily the best of the series starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. Will Smith is his usual hilarious self and Tommy Lee Jones plays his part pretty well too that being said I am usually not a big fan of his.

This movie is about a young cop who while chasing a crook one day stumbles upon a strange secret. He meets a man named K from a special orginization called the Men In black. K recruits the young man as his new partner and he finds out what Men In Black does.

This will always be one of my favorites movies. I have loved it since I was a kid and there is no doubt that I will be showing it to my kids one day.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I never seen sugar do that."
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews22 May 2012
The Men in Black(based on a comic I've never read, spawning a TV series I haven't watched, so I can make no comparisons to either) are an agency that protect Earth from not only what the aliens, some of whom are already here, might do to it, but also the common man's ignorance of this situation. It opens a doorway into a fantastic world(whilst playing it straight since most of these guys are used to this stuff) that would be overwhelming were it not for rookie agent J(Will Smith, who brings both his sass and undeniable charm) posing as a proxy for the audience, asking the questions we want to, and being given the exposition and explanations that we need. He is likable in his naiveté and his efforts to help the people affected by the outer-space stuff, and the odd couple dynamic between him and K(Tommy Lee Jones, awesome and enjoyable as the old grump who's blasé about what they experience) is great, as are the various other character aspects. Linda Fiorentino is perfectly cast as a somewhat cold coroner, and she has a nice, strong female role. As the villain, we have Vincent D'Onofrio giving an unforgettable and unique performance as the large cockroach(!) wearing the skin of farmer Edgar. It's a size or two too small, leading to it/him making some rather inelegant movements and… possessing poor motor skills. And don't worry, at the same time, he's seriously scary. He's immensely physically powerful, and he can't *stand* humans. This really gets into perspective, and that the importance of something is not defined by its size. This is primarily a comedy, as well as a fun sci-fi action adventure with some very unexpected situations and outcomes. It's exciting, engaging and a cool universe that we want to see more of, with this being a brief(and well-paced) peek at roughly 90 minutes. There are creatively designed creatures and big, shiny guns. Danny Elfman supplies this with a bombastic and playful score. There is a bit of moderate to strong language and a little violence and gore(little of it involving people, and just about none of that graphic) in this. I recommend this to fans of the stars and the concept. 7/10
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern sci-fi needs to revisit this
mistoppi16 July 2016
This movie is simply so lovable, and it has affected many people who have seen it. Men In Black has such a nice atmosphere, and it's not gritty and dark as science fiction or fantasy written these days. How many people have seen this movie and were immediately (not entirely seriously) convinced aliens have visited us? When it's a movie like Men In Black, it's so much more fun believing aliens might exist. There are movies that make aliens seem like killing machines whose only purpose is to destroy human race OR they are the kind of wise creatures who are so much better than us. But the aliens in Men In Black are - apart from the villains - almost sympathetic. They seem nice and really ordinary.

Most of the charm of this movie comes from Will Smith. He is a talented actor, and his experience in comedy such as Fresh Prince of Bel Air has given him the ability to deliver comedic lines wonderfully. For him they are natural, and while Tommy Lee Jones's character Kay doesn't get as many one-liners, said by him the feeling is different.

The character Jay is exactly how many of us would like to be in a situation like this. Of course the aliens and secret organisations are all new to him and he is allowed to be openly confused, but he still seems extremely excited about everything instead of being too broody or too angry like most heroes in action.

This movie was made in 1990s, and the effects aren't what we see in the theaters these days, but they are still pretty damn amazing. When we are used to see the extremely beautiful science fiction, something as simple as Men In Black is a nice change.

Men In Black is simple science fiction comedy. It's a movie that made me like science fiction, and is still probably the reason I'm not into the kind of science fiction where everything is in space and where you can see the filmmakers tried way too hard. Men In Black has a quite simple setting, quite simple plots and ordinary characters. Jay could be anyone of us, chosen by almost randomly instead of having some kind of great destiny. This is what science fiction needs to revisit. This is amazing.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No neuralyzer will be powerful enough to make you forget this experience ...
ElMaruecan822 August 2013
Through its effective combination of action, imagery and wit, "Men in Black" accomplishes the same exploit than "Back to the Future" and deserves the title of the second most classic Sci-fi comedy ever.

Indeed, being the genre that requires the most expensive budgets, the most use of special effects, art-design and make-up, and relying on the difficult premise of spectacular entertainment and philosophical insights about human condition, Sci-fi was the most likely genre to be condemned for gravity and solemnity, no matter how heart-pounding the action is. Hence the heavyweights like "Blade Runner", "Terminator 2", "Avatar" or more recently "Prometheus", when it's all about wowing the audience, plunging viewers in a world of wonders and amazement, their disbelief suspended beforehand.

How refreshing now to have a movie like "Men in Black", one of the most original contributions to Sci-fi but never taking both genre and budget for granted, and as a result, never taking itself seriously. "MIB" is a hilarious spy-action-comedy involving probably the coolest-looking secret agency of the same name, well with their Ray-Ban sunglasses and black and white suits; they sure have the coolest outfits. And talk about a thrilling job: monitoring aliens who visit or live on Earth, and controlling their movements inside and outside the planet. In fact, they're not even aliens but inter-galactic immigrants.

And it really suits the film that it introduces the MIB during an arrest of illegal immigrants. Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) and his partner intercept the patrol, and quickly exposes the alien, a weird bug-eyed Mexican who doesn't seem to understand one word of Spanish. His face reveals to be a human mask only held by a creature that bears some strange resemblance –sorry for the outrageous reference- with the monster in "Howard the Duck's". The monster jumps on the horrified border patrolman but is immediately blown-up by Agent K spilling a disgusting blue slime all over the place and the poor guy's face.

And then comes the key moment that unveils the film's most memorable device (after the black suits and sunglasses): the neuralyzer. Just one red flash, and the witness's memories of their recent sightings (and prevent the agency from some undesirable publicity) are instantly erased. Not only the poor patrolman and his colleagues have no clue about what is going on, but K's partner who feels it's time to retire will get the same treatment. He watches the stars in the dark sky and sadly declares "I'll miss the chase", to which K answers "No you won't", putting on his trademark sunglasses, and adjusting the neuralyzer.

The film cuts to Edwards (Will Smith) a NYPD officer chasing an extraordinarily fast and agile criminal who leaves no doubt about his 'extra-terrestrial' background. No one believes Edwards, except for the coroner Dr. Laura Weaver who just discovered some pretty weird stuff during her autopsy, her enthusiasm will be abruptly cut in one neuralyzing flash from agent K. He confronts him with a pawnshop owner (Tony Shalhoub) in order to find out the model of weapon used by the alien, Geebs knows nothing and then the bad cop/ good cop routine is suddenly interrupted by K blowing Geeb's head off … but only as a warning, the head grows back, contributing to one of the film's most defining moment.

Still, Edwards is not part of the secret anymore and as we expect, gets a little red flash in the eye (believe me, it never gets redundant) However, K finds some potential in Edwards and leaves him a business card to assist to a recruiting session. The test, the admission in the headquarters, the little aliens who specialized in making coffee, and Rip Torn as Z, the head of the agency, everything is a triumph of design and humor. The 'MIB' is like an intergalactic 'spaceport' with the widest range of Aliens' you'll find in a film, but even the most rudimentary is more convincing than "Independence Day" atrocious octopuses.

And the place works as a galactic bureau of investigation as well with all the procedural you'd expect, and treated the most seriously. And that's the greatest thing about "MIB" that aliens are visiting Earth or trying to find a cover is treated as if it was the most ordinary thing in the world. In a brief screen showing different undercover aliens, we can immediately spot Sylvester Stallone, these gags are the soul of "Men in Black". And don't get me started with Pavillon State monument used as a disguise for two spaceships or a weird fireball being the cause of New York 1977 black-out.

But these gags work less because of their content than the way they're delivered. Tommy Lee Jones, with his humorless and very matter-of-fact tone, makes the weirdest information sound totally normal, therefore more hilarious. And the funniest thing is that we end up believing him. Would you believe he'll get the hottest information from cheap tabloid newspapers? Well, in fact, given the context of the film, it all makes sense.

However, the rhythm slows down a little because such a film still needs a villain who can only lead to more formulaic situation. The bad guy is played by Vincent d'Onofrio as a hillbilly whose skin was used to cover a hideous cockroach-like monster. His plot involves a small galaxy held by an Alien from an enemy planet, but it's not as creative as the whole set-up and while Fiorentino tries to find a place between the two leads, the film is never as funny and absorbing as when it involves Agent K and Agent J. The ending is perfect though with a last shot that teaches us a wonderful lesson of intergalactic-humility.

As a comedy, "MIB" captures the existential Sci-fi spirit more than serious films : life's a joke, but stars are still beautiful to watch or to paraphrase Will Smith, the difference between "MIB" and other Sci-fi, is that comedy makes it look good.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SUPER MOVIE, REVIEWED BY A 9 YEAR OLD
simaowilliam15 May 2020
The MIB or the Men In Black is a 1997 sci-fi film staring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. In the film there is a new agent getting to grips with his new job and goes on an adventure to save the world. It is shot in New York and directed by Barry Sconefield the budget was 90 million USD.

I think it is an incredibly good film and would definitely recommend it, and would also rate it 5 stars, moreover I think it is more than worth the money it cost.

I think at any time Men In Black is a great film to watch and those who haven't watched it should watch it as soon as they can.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A smart, fun "on its way to legendary" comedy
tiagocampos-0291820 July 2019
It's original and it's genius comedy helped by great Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith acting. Hell, even Vincent D'Onofrio's body movements are hilarious! It's one of those movies you can watch over and over again and not get tired. It will always be remembered!
Best in everything
SnoopyStyle14 October 2013
NYPD detective James Edwards (Will Smith) chases a criminal who seems to be incredibly agile. He's invited to join a top-secret organization called Men in Black. Together with his partner agent K (Tommy Lee Jones), they police interstellar aliens on Earth. When an alien race threaten to destroy the Earth, they must recover something powerful.

Director Barry Sonnenfeld is able to bring to life this imaginative comic book. It's smart and snappy. It has the wonderful crazy fun aliens. It is visually unique.

The best part is the chemistry between the two leads. Tommy Lee Jones is grumpy stoic solid whereas Will Smith is marvelously energetic and funny.

The script is tight, and hilarious. The CG is flashy and the look cool. It is everything a summer blockbuster should be.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Agent Kay and Jay, part of the men in black agency, make sure the universe is safe from evil alien life
Dragonslayer200015 January 2012
This movie is awesome. They did a good high quality job on it, and it did not focus it all on violence. If you do not like gruesome aliens that look disgusting, you may want to not see this. The only one fact that I do not like is that one of the agents in there cusses a lot. They also do have a disturbing situation in one of the parts in the movie. Luckily they do not show the image of it. I can't wait to see the sequel, Men in Black II. Also, lots of people will say that this is comedy and action. There is not that much to laugh at in this movie. I personally think that people watching this should be about ten years old at the least when they watch this. Put five star rating for this and buy it. This is a movie that deserves to be in your collection.
Great fun sci-fi!
lhrlinha23 March 2015
I recently re-watched MIB. It's been years since I had last seen it, I used to love this movie as a child, but only now I can actually see how smart it really is.

We follow Agent J as he discovers the truth: there is extraterrestrial life. We are just as surprised as him, and he serves as a guide to all these new crazy aliens. We also get to know the stoic agent K, with his own past and what he had to sacrifice just so he could do his job of keeping The Earth safe. We really like them throughout the movie. I don't even know if this works as a buddy cop movie, as K is more like a teacher and not only a partner.

During this last re watch I could see what I believe is the central theme: "Don't judge a book by it's cover", or the message that you shouldn't judge anyone by their appearance because they can be so much more and surprise you. It's everywhere in the film.

For example: The small gun that carries a big punch; all the aliens that look like normal humans; K's car that seems old; the aliens and the little girl in the test; and most of all, in J. In the beginning we only see him wearing these weird colorful clothes, and everyone thinks he is, well, not special. Then we see him in the suit, and he shows us what he really is about.

And in the end we get a glimpse of our own irrelevance in one of the best last scenes in the history of cinema. Even the universe may not be what it seems.

So, this is a great, smart movie, with a very solid story, great for children and adults alike. The effects, which stand the test of time, and details, are the cherry on top.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Sci-fi movie with great special effects. Good job Will Smith!!
desert-jackets24 September 2013
"Men in Black" is a great movie, particularly for its sci-fi and dream geeks and it is the first version of the sequence. There are many things that make this movie successful. There is a great acting, fine music, and outstanding alien visuals. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith worked as two agents for an organization that deals with aliens known as Agent J and Agent K. Will Smith is as always the the best and Tommy Lee Jones as well is not far behind anyone. This movie has plenty of great things to discuss about; it is hilarious, adventurous, and filled with action-packed series.

I really love both characters as actors as both are truly the best actors in this revolutionary movie. In spite of the fact of not following the policies, J is selected over what he saw and appears to be more of a people person than the military people that are also workforce. Right from the commencement of this movie, the story catches the spectator's concentration because the viewers will have no thought to what is going on. It was not until minutes later when everything is exposed. Even after that, the spectators will have questions in large numbers. All your private questions will be answered when Will Smith comes into the equation. Once this occurs, things speed up real fast. Performing as villain, Edgar, performed as Vincent D'Onofrio. Although he's not a villain, he's just one repulsive bug-like alien. He's my favorite character in this film. The reason after this was how his personality is in general. The persona of Edgar is just simple rude. As for the special effects, they possess their own exclusivity that makes it tempting to only watch one time.

'Men in Black' is energy pumping sci-fi journey that'll keep you on the edge of your seat from begin to end. The first time ever I saw this movie was when I was coming back from Miami in December, 1997. When the aliens came into view, I was scared because of the special effects. In addition, the special effects and martial arts were very well played. The most amazing part in this sci-fi movie was the best quality men's suit worn by these celebrities to make this movie outclass. I saw the exact suits and jackets at one of the top ranking online site, desert leather.com where you can get all types of men's suites at very affordable price.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Perfect Blend of Sci-Fi, Comedy, Action, and Will Smith at his Blockbuster Best
brando64724 June 2013
Whenever I'm in a movie discussion with friends and the topic drifts towards top comic book movies, I really need to remember to start including MEN IN BLACK. Released in 1997, I suppose you could say it was the first real mainstream Marvel comic adaptation (remember, BLADE wasn't released until 1998). To be honest, I wasn't even aware that it even was based on a Marvel comic until many years later. I guess the series was pretty short-lived, and the movie doesn't really do much to remain faithful to the source material. Still, a comic movie it is and it remains one of my favorites. It's funny, there's some great action, and the effects continue to hold up well even now. The Men in Black are a top-secret government organization dedicated to monitoring and policing extraterrestrial activity on Earth. When his partner retires, Agent K (Jones) sees potential in NYPD officer James Edwards (Smith). He recruits Edwards and exposes him to the truth: aliens are out there and they just want to go about their lives. Well, most of them. Edwards, rechristened as Agent J, has got his work cut out for him on his first investigation. An interstellar bug has arrived on Earth with galaxy theft on his mind, and an Arquillian battle cruiser has settled into orbit with weapons powered and intent to destroy the planet if the MiB don't provide them with said galaxy. The problem is: where does one hide an entire galaxy in the city of New York? Agents J and K had better figure it out or they won't have long to regret it.

MEN IN BLACK comes from a time when Will Smith was king of the summer blockbuster. He was at the top of his money making game, and MEN IN BLACK is one of his best summer action hits. MEN IN BLACK has all of the ingredients for a hit that continues to entertain long after it's left theaters. First and foremost, it's got a perfect blend of action, comedy, and science fiction. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones have perfect chemistry, with Smith doing his usual routine (or what once was his usual routine) and Jones as his no-nonsense partner/mentor in the life of a MiB agent. The Smith/Jones partnership is the only factor that remained cool well into the sequel, despite everything else about it failing miserably. The creature effects in this movie are, somehow, better than both sequels combined. I imagine it's because it relies more on practical effects and makeup for the various alien creatures populating this world. Rick Baker's creature effects in MEN IN BLACK are fantastic. Mikey (the illegal alien), the worms, the Arquillian ambassador…the practical effects are the best effects. From the moment I first saw the original MEN IN BLACK, I'd hoped it would become an ongoing franchise. In my defense, that was before I knew how they'd nearly kill the franchise with the garbage that was MEN IN BLACK II. But there is still potential in the franchise; MEN IN BLACK 3 was nowhere near the train-wreck I was expecting and I would love for the series to continue on with new agents and the right writer/director.

What a new MEN IN BLACK will need that the second film forgot was a strong villain. The original movie had a great alien baddie: a giant cockroach crammed in the skin of a white trash human farmer named Edgar, as played by Vincent D'Onofrio. D'Onofrio was great, giving Edgar a host of bizarre ticks and stiff movements with a full-on hatred for humankind. Then there is Linda Fiorentino as local mortician Laurel Weaver, who's only really there for plot purposes. She's also supposed to fill the role of a possible love interest for Agent J, but nothing really comes of it and, come to think of it, she doesn't really do anything in the movie. I guess Weaver could be seen as the weakest link in the film. Weak love interest aside, the rest of the film is populated with appropriately weird faces to fill it out. Rip Torn is Zed, head of the MiB, and Tony Shalhoub is intergalactic arms dealer and local pawnbroker Jack Jeebs. MEN IN BLACK is still a lot of fun more than ten years since it was originally released. After having watched the original again after so many years and finding that I love it just as much as when I saw it the first time, I think the series is due for a reboot with new agents and new sci-fi craziness.
Great Sci-Fi Flick!
g-bodyl28 November 2008
Men in Black is a great movie, especially for sci-fi/fantasy geeks. Several things make this movie work. They are superb acting, great music, and excellent alien visuals. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith star as two agents from an agency that deals with aliens as Agent K and Agent J. J is the rookie of the group so K must train him to be a successful agent and possibly be even more. They have to deal with a bug who took a dead man's body to find a jewel and deliver the jewel to a battalion just off Earth or the planet will be blown to pieces. The acting is excellent. Will Smith is the best and Tommy Lee Jones is not far behind him. The score by Elfman is great to listen to. I also liked the Grammy-nominated song by Will Smith. The makeup and alien visuals are great and not stupid like most cheesy sci-fi flicks. This is a very good movie! I rate this movie 10/10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adrenaline pumping sci-fi ride that'll have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish
Catherine_Grace_Zeh19 January 2006
Whoa! If you ask me, MEN IN BLACK is an adrenaline pumping sci-fi ride that'll have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. The first time I ever saw this movie was on my way home from Orlando in 1998. When the aliens appeared, I was scared. This was because of the special effects. Also, the martial arts and special effects were very well done. Now, in conclusion, I highly recommend this adrenaline pumping sci-fi ride that'll have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish to any Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones fan who hasn't seen it. When you see this movie, hold on tight and prepare to be taken on a wild ride.