Home Fries (1998) Poster

(1998)

This Movie Is Much Better than the Marketing of it would have you Believe.
leechco2 August 2000
I just caught this movie on cable, this was the first time I saw it. I remember seeing the adverts for it and thinking it looked mildly interesting, but that it was a piece of romantic comedy fluff that I could wait and rent or something and watch at home without inflicting $20 in movie tickets and an evening of "Chick Flick" on my Husband. BOY! I wish I'd slipped a tape in, cause he would've loved it!!! It was definitely a movie worth full admission in a theatre. The Marketing Department, apparently didn't watch the movie, they sold it all wrong.

I have noticed an increasing trend in that direction, I've skipped some because the marketing made them look AWFUL only to find out they were real gems.

If you are in the mood for skillful mix of mystery, romantic comedy, and dark humour then I strongly recommend you rent this movie, or catch it on Cable.
25 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An interesting, unique movie with entertaining ideas.
navyfrog5 January 1999
I had gone to see this movie because I really enjoy Drew Barrymore's acting. I ended up liking more than just Drew's part though. I thought it was a unique movie with just the right amount of humour - keeping it far from slapstick, but generated a light atmosphere that kept everyone level with the innocence of it all. I'd definitely recommend this movie to anyone with an open mind and a sense of humour.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black comedy with a little sugar thrown in
ArizWldcat30 July 2002
This was a black comedy that unfolded over the first 30 minutes of the film, revealing one surprise relationship after another, until you realize that all the major characters are related in surprising ways. My daughter and I watched this together and laughed out loud quite a bit. Luke Wilson did a great job as the moony eyed helicopter pilot who falls for Drew's character. Drew did a good job as a confused but sweet pregnant girl who works at a burger joint in somewhere in small town America. Jake Busey looks a whole lot like his dad, and chewed a lot of furniture for this role, which was rather one dimensional. Catherine O'Hara is at her best playing this quirky mom. (during one funny scene, the older boy asks her if it's true that she liked the other son better..."I love you both, she says, but the difference is only this (puts her fingers an inch apart) much!LOL!!!) If you don't enjoy dark humor, this will not amuse you. It also had an ending that made us go "awww"...it was almost as if they weren't sure how to end this one, though. Overall, it wasn't a bad film.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What does it want to be--black comedy or romantic comedy?
Hermit C-25 January 2000
This looks like a case of a classic schizophrenic Hollywood movie--too dark-humored for fans of romantic comedy, not nearly outrageous enough for those looking for that quality. (You may get a little nervous, though, when a shotgun-wielding character walks into a fast-food restaurant full of kids.) Consequently it will end up alienating a lot of viewers looking for the one type of film or the other. Most of the characters aren't very enjoyable to watch, with the noted exception of Drew Barrymore in the lead. I was disappointed that Catherine O'Hara's part wasn't any better--she could have really livened the movie up if her character had been a little more forceful.

Despite all the problems, there was still something left to like here, and I would give it a positive recommendation, but just barely. On second thought, recommending this movie to someone would be a risky proposition, but I thought that overall it was marginally successful.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable Romantic/Comedy/Action movie!
imyorehuckleberry21 April 2003
This movie with Luke Wilson (brother of Owen Wilson) & Drew Barrymore is very enjoyable. While it was promoted as a Romantic Comedy, it should be noted that this has a darker comedic theme with some action sequences. If you were looking for a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movie, reset your expectations and rent this one anyways. It is a very enjoyable, fun movie.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpectedly hilarious.
russell_martin31 March 2000
I would have given this film a '10', except that I believe that the manner in which it was marketed is a flaw. Similar to the way that films like "Love Serenade", or "Muriel's Wedding" were not presented as outrageous and offbeat comedies this film's preview and sleeve present it as if it is another main stream romantic comedy (like "You've Got Mail"). It is in fact a wonderfully deranged and outrageous film that could easily be mistaken for a Cohen (sp?) brothers movie.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Extremely Funny and Original Movie. A must see.
tarantinoboy24 September 1998
Telling you the plot would kinda take away some of the suprising charm of this movie. Basically, the Drew Barrymore character is supposed to be killed by the son of the dead man she was sleeping with. But the guy starts to like her. There are several other twists thrown into the story. The screenplay by Vince Gilligan of the X-Files is unpredictable and the dialogue isn't stale like in so many other Hollywood films. Great performances by all.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for vanilla filmgoers
peter s-228 July 1999
The reason this film is rated so poorly is that it had the most misleading preview ever. It was marketed as a feel-good low-IQ no-surprise white-bread movie that Ronald Reagan would have applauded. Instead it was a dark and original exercise that is well worth seeing. It has an audience, but they didn't go. (I only saw it because one of my filmy friends bugged me until I agreed to give it a chance.) The people that did go based on the preview were ironically exactly the wrong audience.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Cute Black Romantic Comedy?
great_sphinx_429 June 1999
How does that work? Well. . .it does, and it doesn't. It's kind of strange, because this movie wasn't terribly complicated, but I'm still not sure what to make of it. So here's my tentative review: it's weird in a weird way. I mean, there are funny weird movies, and fun weird movies, and disgusting weird movies, and experimental weird movies, and mindless weird movies- and "Home Fries" is somehow none of those, either by an inch or by a mile. It's worth watching, don't get me wrong, but my feelings on this movie are uncharacteristically ambiguous. Drew is great, of course- she almost always is. I grew up in a tiny, Southern town, so I can vouch that the atmosphere seemed authentic. Luke Wilson is a charmingly unusual hero. Catherine O'Hara is funny as his psycho mother, and the Busey kid chews the scenery with both gusto and some amazing choppers, each obviously inherited from his dad. Some of the dialogue was really good, and there was a lot about this flick that was nicely understated. But overall...well, I occasionally get the urge to watch it again (because I like strange movies, and "Home Fries" is possessed of a strangeness I've never quite seen before,) but it certainly won't wear out before most of my other tapes. That, I guess, is the simplest and most honest review I can give it.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My wife and I both loved this film
tholar14 May 2000
This a wonderful movie. Full of laughs and also sometimes very tender. Drew is marvelous and very believable and the other actors as well. Jake is also very good in this and is reminicent of his father (I assume Gary is) We both were very impressed with Luke Wilson. The scenes at the burger place was great
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nothing like the trailer.
teesa18215 July 2002
**contains spoilers**

well first off, id like to start with the fact that it was an entertaining and sweet movie.. the trailer portrays it as an entirely different movie... i watched the trailer after watching the movie and was like WOAH.. the trailer sets it up as a romantic comedy in which luke wilson sees drew barymore at a drive thru and wants to get a job there in order to meet her.. the movie is quite the contrary.. it is more like a physchotic mother who made her kids kill her cheating husband (with drew) and then luke wilson takes the job there because they know she heard something on the headphones.. yes he does fall in love with her.. and the lamaz scene is adorable, and the ending is sweet.. but theres murder and a twisted family that they left from the trailer... but i can say that that it was worth the $5.88 i payed for it.. its a simple, cheesy teen-flick.. with a bit of a twist.. i enjoyed it..
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great performances in this quirky comedy.
pgula4 December 1998
What a nice surprise this movie was, unfortunately it will probably get lost among all the HOLIDAY movies this Christmas. Drew Barrymore gives a winning performance - she co-stars here with her real-life boyfriend Luke Wilson , who has great charm and I predict will eventually become a big time leading man. (If he chooses to go that way - from the IMDB registry though it looks like he is choosing to stick with indies) Although these are two very good performances the movie is STOLEN by Catherine O'Hara as the mother of Luke's character. She is absolutely hilarious in a supporting role. Oscar take note! It would be unfair to give away any of the plot of this movie as that is its greatest charm- just go see it!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was marketed so wrong...
jnazaroff26 November 2000
Home Fries is a fantastic movie, but the marketing scheme behind it all had little bearing in regard to the actual movie. If you saw the trailers or commercials, you'd have thought the movie was a romantic comedy. The relationship between Luke Wilson and Drew Barrymore's characters plays only a small part in plot, and even then it's not the type of interaction you'd see in a romantic comedy.

This flick is pure dark humor. The near-incestuous relationship existing between Dorian's brother and mother is both odd and extremely amusing. It's definitely not the type of movie you'd expect to see from the way it's been presented. Kudos to the casting director. Each part was cast extremely well.
completely original
Thats_MISTER_Paz_to_you13 December 1998
I thought this movie was absolutely fabulous. Nothing at all like the trailer suggests (which is EXTREMELY rare nowadays) Go see it, Drew Barrymore and Luke Wilson are great.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pregnant white trash girl meets boy. Dark hilarity ensues.
underbelly-18 April 2006
An excellent movie for those who understand and appreciate intelligent comedy. Do not be fooled by the erroneous "romantic comedy" label. It does contain comedy and romance but is not part of that silly sub-genre. Home Fries is one of those rare comedies in which actors aren't hindered by special effects, music swells, wild car chases, or cheesy dialog/ situations. The script is offbeat, energetic, and smart giving the actors something substantial to use.

Luke Wilson finally crawled out from under the shadow of his brother, Owen, in this one. Wilson even executes a great fall (presumably on purpose) in one scene which throws some slapstick into an otherwise cerebral affair. Also, Drew Barrymore rises above her own reputation here. She's finally proved that she's capable of more than what we expect of her and that she doesn't need to ride the coattails of washed-up Saturday Night Live actors.

Hollywood ran amok with the whole "romantic comedy starring Drew Barrymore" angle when this movie was promoted. This was a huge mistake that probably alienated many viewers who may really like this while disappointing the teeming masses who just wanted a sweet, predictable piece of light comedy for their date nights. This is pure dark comedy. I cannot give it the highest possible score because it does suffer a bit in spots. Namely, Gary Busey's kid is just not up to his role. Yeah, he's got funny teeth but that does not mean that he can play any comic role. His acting chops are just not up to the task of playing Wilson's brother. Of course probably no one but Luke's actual brother, Owen, is really up to that. But at least, as I mentioned, Luke gets his much-deserved chance to shine.

Fans of Wes Anderson and Jim Jarmisch should take note of this movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drew Needs To Be More Discerning With Her Scripts
ccthemovieman-113 December 2007
Drew Barrymore is cute and she has her loyal fans but, man, this woman makes so many lame movies. To her credit, some of her movies, like "Ever After," are nice films - no language problems and a film the family could safely watch which certainly is opposite of her wild, earlier days when she was exposing herself on the David Letterman show, and other incidents. Barrymore has since played a few more of those nice characters, so I am not knocking her. It's just that so many of her films are "Lifetime" cable TV Grade B chick flicks. This one, however - be warned - is a much darker film than advertised. It's not exactly the sweet romance story you might think.

What hurt this movie, in my opinion, wasn't Barrymore so much as it was Luke Wilson. Is there a dumber looking face in Hollywood than his? I'm sorry but with that dumb expression I cannot buy him as an "intelligent" person as he is supposed to be in this story. Of course, the filmmakers deliberately had him making these goofy faces, which is confusing if he is supposed to come across as someone with brains. He doesn't look it, nor does the script make this an intelligent film, either. It's supposed to be a comedy but you tell me how many laughs you got watching the first 45 minutes in here? I didn't get many, if any, and by then had lost interest.

Hopefully, Drew will have better luck finding more intelligent scripts in the future, or at least stories with a plot to them!
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
romantic and shy soul who loves to see Drew Barrymore play!
hwatzeels14 August 2004
Beautiful film!! I have just seen it on the Dutch-speaking TV-channel KanaalTwee from Belgium! (Saturday 14 August 2004) With Dutch subtitles (although I can understand English very well!!).

Drew Barrymore is a very nice actress; I've seen her in "E.T.", "Never been kissed" and "The Wedding Singer"; all with Dutch subtitles in cinema in Brussels or at home in front of the TV. She looks great in all these movies!!

Luke Wilson (didn't know he was brother of Owen!) is handsome and has much potential for an actor!! He plays very nice!!

The story about pregnant Sally who falls in love with the stepson is not ridiculous to me! I am romantic myself; and can be very touched when seeing love romances on TV or in cinemas!

In "Never been kissed" Drew played a role which is somewhat similar to my real life; I am not handsome (beautiful)and I have been ridiculed a lot in my school period; I also fell in love with a teacher; I have been teased a lot... In most teenage movies there is also a guy who is a nerd; I feel like a nerd often but my high IQ (124) is not my handicap!!

Smart but ugly doesn't mean one should lock oneself up all the time! I have friends who take me as I am; who can laugh with my sense of humour and my language knowledge has lead me through difficult holiday travels (this year I go to Warsaw in Poland; I can easily understand English and speak German at a good level; Polish not!!)!!

"Home Fries" is a splendid movie to me!!!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mis-marketed, yet enjoyable movie
Ferrick19 April 1999
I am lucky that I saw this movie. The way they marketed it in the previews and commercials when it was in theatrical release made it seem like another typical "romantic comedy." That is an understatement, to say the least. This movie, while not groundbreaking, was definitely fun. I loved that it was different, unusual, and quirky. The humor was definitely dark (kind of like Heathers) and this will turn a lot of people off, especially since it was purported to be light.

Although I was reluctant to rent this movie (the first 10 minutes made me think it was going to be really dumb, like it was trying to do more than it should for this type of movie), I was soon swayed by the quirks, the smart dialogue and the interwoven plot. This movie is not an award winner and I wouldn't recommend it to a lot of people, but not because it is bad but because it is a matter style. Some will laugh, some will cry.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new breed of romantic comedy.
Scoof29 November 1998
"Home Fries" was a unique kind of romantic comedy. Along with its boy-meets-girl-and-falls-in-love storyline, it also contains infidelity, murder, and a psychologically controlling mother. Jake Busey gives a terrific performance as Angus, the brother who wants to kill Drew Berrymore. However, the show was stolen by Luke Wilson (Bottle Rocket), who inadvertently falls in love with the girl who his stepfather had an affair with.

"Home Fries" blends romance and dark comedy in a way that results in a very entertaining film. With a good story and an excellent cast, this is one movie that everyone can enjoy.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Story is ridiculous but Barrymore does well
ipswich-22 June 2000
This is an off-beat comedy with a slightly ridiculous plot that is saved by the fine acting of several actors such as Drew Barrymore as the FastFood countergirl who unwittingly lets herself get taken advantage of, and Catherine O'Hara as the betrayed and psychotic wife out to gain revenge on her cheating husband. Barrymore is in her element here, playing the sweet and winsome girl-next-door who wins the heart of the son of her unfaithful lover. The characters here are so neurotic they are never realistic. But this is a love story with a charming ending. Suspend your disbelief, and wither down your expectations to enjoy this movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give This Movie A 2nd Chance!!!
Fred-8611 June 1999
When I first went to the theater and seen this movie, last Thanksgiving, I about died. I expected a normal Drew Barrymore movie with her everlasting magic. What I got was a weird, black "brain-teaser" comedy. I about had a fit! I could not stand the movie, it was horrible. But come to find out, I just didn't understand it. So this weekend I rented it. And guess what! I liked it! It is just one of those movies that is a whole lot better the second time around. You have to sit through it once, and then watch it again. So all of you who hated this movie the first time like I did, watch it again! You won't regret it!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
charming movie, interesting plot!
DancrGrl29 November 1998
Drew Barrymore's performance in Home Fries will not win her an Oscar, but it will win her smiles from her viewers. It is a charming movie featuring funny situations and plot twists around every corner. Along with her adorable curly hair-do and sexy co-star, Barrymore shines in the role of a good hearted 20-something who works at a burger joint and wants to be a good mother to her expected child. Although, once again in Hollywood, the mother is wearing lipstick after child birth, something I will never get. A good movie to pair with a rainy evening, cozy pj's and some popcorn.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and quirky - Like "Fargo" in tone, maybe better!!
ALP-827 November 1998
Very well done movie, script and supporting actors are the best parts, in fact just wonderful. Very off-beat plot and humor. I have to recommend it highly. Even tho' I don't care for Drew Barrymore, I think this is a winner!
Quirky fun!
Max-13010 April 1999
I'm not going to tout this movie as a side-splitting comedy, but it sure is a lot of fun. Luke Wilson plays a lovably confused character in the middle of a family crisis including a dead, cheating step-father; a manipulating mother; a jealous, psychotic brother; and the sweet, well-meaning (pregnant) mistress of the step-father. Jake Busey is hilarious and Catherine O'Hara is at her best. This one is great for a light-hearted evening of fun.
truly funny and original
zombie-226 March 1999
This movie is not like The Wedding Singer (which I loved) but personally I'm happy to see a romantic comedy with a dark, murderous and twisted plot. Drew Barrymore is great in her role and does an incredibly funny southern accent that makes her seem so innocent. I absolutely recommend this movie!!