Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV Series 1997–2003) Poster

(1997–2003)

Don't judge a book by it's cover.
zephyr-12320 November 2009
Very often, when you find a particularly negative review of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you find someone whose glancing opinion bounces off the surface "appearance" of the show and does not delve into the actual substance therein. Frequently, they are people who haven't really seen enough episodes to form a well thought-out opinion on the series, the content, and the characters as a whole--especially, people who have only seen a few eps from season one. Season one is the most shallow end of the series. It really gives you no clue as to what the series ends up being. Believe me, it gets more intense and complicated and dark as it goes on. If you decide to give it a try, I suggest checking out a handful of episodes from season three on before passing judgment. Some good examples are S3--The Wish, Helpless, Doppelgangland, S4--Something Blue, Hush and Restless, S5--Fool for Love, Triangle, Weight of the World, The Gift (I'd also say The Body but that one gives too much away) S6--Bargaining, Tabula Rasa, Older and Far Away, S7--Beneath You, Selfless, Conversations With Dead People, The Killer In Me, Get It Done (I'd say Chosen but it's the series finale which also would give too much away).

About the show itself--Buffy is the antithesis of the "pretty-blond-victim" who runs from the "psycho ax-murderer" in horror films past--the girl who always twisted her ankle and fell in her attempt to get away. How many times did we see that scene and feel just a little bit disgusted with the victim for not even trying to fight back? How many times did we see that scene and feel disgusted with the directors for typing female victims in this way over and over again? Buffy, herself, isn't the "traditional" feminist TV icon. Many of those are women who have forfeited the ultra-feminine symbols of their gender--love, compassion and vulnerability in order to maintain equal footing with men. Buffy doesn't do this. Buffy embraces those symbols in one hand and hones and wields them to fight evil in the other.

The show appears as a bubble-gum program, aimed at teens and while it's fan-base is largely younger viewers (teens-twenties), it's major themes profoundly confront the more mature ideas of good vs. evil, life and death, friendship, religion, the soul and the true meanings of power and love in such a way that is rarely addressed in current entertainment. It challenges the traditional ideas of religion as being an "institution" and asserts that it is something to be lived, that real love requires self-sacrifice, that true friendship requires far-reaching forgiveness, that true power is rooted in love and compassion and that good and evil, while in shades of gray can still be defined.
371 out of 411 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A review, 20 years later
dothancore9 August 2017
I only started to watch Buffy recently, 20 years after the first episode was aired, got to say I am very impressed. Now remember this is 2017, people are used to 1080p streaming, Blu-ray / 4K video, and HDMA sound quality, 480i, 2 channel sound and 1.33:1 screen ratio are simply not going to cut it anymore. However, in this case, despite the huge technical disadvantages, Buffy still stands out as a serious and entertaining show, one of the best of its kind. The screen-play are well written, characters well developed, dialogues are actually interesting and thought provoking, plus great acting all around. Joss Whedon is a real genius.

Due to the age of the show, I don't know if they will ever release a Blu-ray set, but I can only imagine what a tremendous joy it'd be to watch it on Blu-ray (again). Buffy really sets the standard and example for today's Hollywood, if there is show you can relate to 20 years later, then you know it is not the picture quality or special effects, but the story and acting that speak to you. Comparing this to some of modern day shows, it is clear to me that technical advances don't always improve the quality of a show.
90 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional attachment x 100000000
Retrohead12313 August 2013
Into every generation, a TV series is born: one show in all the world, an awesome one. It alone will give us the strength and skill to fight medically inaccurate medical dramas, police procedurals which ALWAYS follow the same procedure and 90210. To stop the spread of this evil and diminish their ratings. That show is Buffy.

In the 90's, Joss Whedon created a cultural icon. Miniature Buffy's can now be bought on Ebay. Bookshops now sell the comic book continuation of the series. Academics reference Buffy in university lectures. There is now a such thing as 'Buffy Studies'.(We will ignore the excruciating 86 minutes of Kirsty Swanson's "acting", it was tantamount to Waterboarding)Sounds familiar, you say? The same thing can be said for Batman, Superman and Spider-Man. Except, there is one important difference; Buffy is teenage girl. This quote, from Spike, in the episode Touched, says a lot about the kind of hero Buffy is.

"You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine, and done things I'd prefer you didn't. Don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. I follow my blood, which doesn't exactly rush in the direction of my brain. I've made a lot of mistakes. A lot of wrong bloody calls. A hundred plus years, and there's only one thing I've ever been sure of: you ... Here, look at me. I'm not asking you for anything. When I say "I love you", it's not because I want you, or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are. What you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you. And I understand, with perfect clarity, exactly what you are. You're a hell of a woman. You're the One, Buffy."

If you have written Buffy off to be a load of feminist crap with a ludicrous title, well, you'd only be right. Minus the crap part. The show also offers violent, dramatic and well choreographed fight sequences, witty dialogue and popular cultural references, some diverse and beloved character, subtext (both subtle and obvious) and well- thought out story arches with a BIG finale. Most importantly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer gives us ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, people who don't give up trying until literally the end of the world. In Buffyverse,to quote Abraham Lincoln, we have faith that right makes might.

Having watched Buffy religiously in my childhood, I revisited it this year and realised just how much of the shows deeper meaning and metaphor I missed in my innocence. Now when I watch my box set not only am I visited by a deep and aching nostalgia but I have a new appreciation for the humour and innuendo I could not understand as a child. The show really is a something you should not be deprived of due to misconceptions or stubbornness. However, if you are looking for a series overview, this one feels the most fitting.

Buffy Anne Summers

1997-2003

She saved the world a lot.
92 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Finest Shows I've ever watched
YoSafBridge7 December 2009
If I'm having a bad day I can always count on Buffy to cheer me up (or, even if it's one of those cases were I just need a good cry I can always count on Buffy for that as well). It's the perfect blend of so many different qualities...it's humour, action, romance and just incredibly well written, believably flawed characters. I'm not exactly sure where all the haters came from, it's honestly seems to me that this is a case of judging a show by it's title.

There's little I can say about Buffy that won't become redundant, there is not much to find fault with. Sure it's got it's bad episodes, bad story arcs just like any show. But what kept me coming back with the razor sharp wit and characters that became like a family to me.

This is a beautifully written show and if you can make it past the goofy title, fantastic premise and (for many people) the campy first season (You'll grow to love the camp upon re-visiting it) you'll discover one of the best show's in recent memory.
165 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sadness descends
alcalde28 March 2010
It is so hard to believe it's been so long since this wonderful program first graced our television sets. Even harder to believe that I didn't get hooked until the fifth season.

I knew of it's existence, of course, but I thought what a lot of people did. "Buffy? C'mon... Buffy?!? The...VAMPIRE slayer??". So I discounted it until I was flipping around many, many channels of garbage and stopped on either Spike (the channel) or FX and paused because it was the most interesting thing on.

The episode was Listening to Fear, and although I thought it was a bit hokey, I was intrigued and began to watch regularly. The series was still airing new episodes at the time and even though I wanted to watch those, I wanted to have the entire experience before the finale. As I moved through season five, they aired the final episode and it took all my will not to watch.

Cable television did what cable television does, so at the end of the fifth season, they wrapped and began airing from episode one. I was hooked. No... that's not quite right. You get hooked on "things". Buffy was not... is not "a thing". This "mere" television show and it's wondrous cast of constantly developing characters were real. Honest. They were family, as many have said before.

I miss them all terribly, even though I still see or hear them it's not the same. I watched Repo: The Genetic Opera and I saw Giles. I watched Scooby Doo and saw Buffy. How I Met Your Mother? Willow.

Honestly, this wasn't just a good or even great show. It was an important show. The genius flowed down from Joss and permeated the beings of everyone who worked on the program. As much as I would love to see them all in character once more, I hope it never happens, because magic only happens once and even Joss could not top what he's already gifted the world with.

All I can say is, to Joss all the way down to "Best Boy" or the catering service, thank you for the best years television has ever seen. You should all be proud.
64 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haven't seen BtVS, and considering doing so? What you need to know...
RockyMtnVideo16 June 2018
People who've seen this series don't need to be told whether it's good or not, so this review is solely for the uninitiated, i.e. someone trying to decide whether to invest the time in a seven season series. Here's what to consider.

This was rated, when originally aired, as TV-14 programming, but it is far from your typical YA drivel. It covered a full spectrum of emotional, violent, and sexual content, over its seven season arc. Ignoring the sex, and just considering the human (non-"creature") body count, I'm amazed at what the showrunners were able to get aired over the course of the series. Bottom line, there's a lot of "intense" content throughout the series, and it gets far more graphic in the latter seasons.

Any fantasy, supernatural, or SciFi series fails or succeeds on its "believability". I don't mean the plots, but instead, whether the characters project believability. If it "works", it will stem from a combination of well scripted episodes, but far more important, a cast that buys into, and fully "sells" (110%), their characters. BtVS had all of that in spades. Whether it is their witty banter, a plethora of deeply emotional scenes, or the larger story arcs of the seasons, and/or the overall series, as a whole, these characters are "all in", in terms of their commitment to the stories being told, within their "fantastical universe".

Throughout the series, there are always multiple (concurrent) story arcs in play. Some, especially toward the end, are even multi-seasonal. Certainly, simply because it is episodic, there is a "monster (or problem) of the week" feel, all through the series, but those stories are generally unique and interesting, and many of those play into the larger (and more important) story arcs.

In the first three seasons, the characters are in high school, and many of the plots revolve around that setting (but always with the fantasy-based twist), while the final four seasons move out into the adult world. We basically get to watch these characters grow up throughout the full series arc, and as alluded to earlier, the plots become increasingly more "raw/intense" as the series moves forward.

The most important thing is that, even from the first season, it is easy to become vested in the core suite of characters. And, when season two takes what seems to be a somewhat stable set of core characters, and turns their situation "on its head", you realize that you cannot count on anything being "stable", and consequently, can't really predict what might happen in subsequent episodes (which, obviously, is a "good thing", from a story-telling perspective).

Some of the later (especially season 5 and 6) story arcs are heart-wrenching, and easily some of the best "TV drama" that has ever been aired. Some of the episodes are also some of the creepiest that have ever been aired. The series is a constant mix of many different storytelling genres, which just happen to exist in the (fantasy-based) "Buffyverse". Unlike some series that fizzled out near their end (or simply got canceled), this series really reached its peak in its final three seasons, just continuously "upping the ante", until its epic finale. I own the series, and (roughly) every two or three years, I drag out the discs, and re-binge the whole thing, because of "Buffy withdrawal". It's always feels good to (yet again) watch it all play out, over the characters' seven year arc.

BtVS is "not perfect". There are some episodes that are (IMHO) duds ("Beer" comes to mind), and there is at least one story arc that I thought had a bit too much silliness, but "as a whole", it is easily one of the best TV series, and runs you through the full emotional gamut.

Bottom line, assuming that you "accept" a fantasy/SciFi premise in the first place (as you would with a "Star Trek", a "Fringe", or any similar series), then BtVS is truly a great series (for people of any age... and I'm "North of 60", as I write this), and I believe, well worth your time investment.

One major caution: The first two episodes of season 5 are a major "WTF moment". During its original airing, some viewers (literally) stopped watching the series after seeing those episodes, and also wrote online rants about their disappointment with what happens (avoid reading the episode synopses to avoid spoilers). Those episodes definitely DO leave you asking "WTF", but I would simply say that you MUST have faith, and "trust your tour guide" (i.e. the screenwriters), and settle in for the season 5 "ride", which, as I alluded to above, is an emotional roller coaster, with an "unexpected" season finale that sets up a similarly emotional season 6.

One final note, depending on where you obtain media, and/or from where you stream it, seasons 4-7 may or may not be wide-screen. The latter seasons were shot on 35mm, whereas the first three were shot on 16mm. Even though the entire series aired in the old (narrow) 1:1.33 (original NTSC TV) aspect ratio, and even though Joss Whedon argues that the whole series should be seen that way, I respectfully disagree. I always relish getting to Season 4, where (with my UK DVD versions) the whole series opens up, and fills up the full 16x9 (modern) wide screen. Scenes, and "people", that would have been partially "cropped" (or shifted) in the narrow format, are simply seen "in full".

So, hopefully some of the above is useful, if you are considering the series. It is definitely a unique experience.
47 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of, if not the, best shows ever made. Honest.
Buffy is one of, if not THE, best dramatic series ever made. People that have never seen the show, or have only seen one episode of it, would probably laugh at that statement. But having seen all 7 seasons of this brilliant series, I feel quite confident in my opinion.

No other show touches on the major issues of humanity this show does: immortality and it's pros and cons, the power of love and friendship, the inner strength we all have within us, and the ability to appreciate life and learn to laugh at the things that get you down. There are moments of happiness, drama, tears, and moments that make you rediscover who you are, and Buffy deals with all of them. Every episode is layered with meanings and insights into humanity, all in some show about a girl who slays vampires.

Seeing these characters change and grow over the course of the episodes is a gift. Unlike other shows, the characters on Buffy are never the same from season to season. The events of the show change them and mold them into new people all the time, that's how good the writing is.

No episode is boring, in all 144 hours of the series there is something worth watching. Some episodes are truly brilliant pieces of television, especially the gems directed by series creator Joss Whedon such as Becoming, The Wish, Hush, The Body, and The Gift. These are some of the best hours of television ever produced.

The writing is spectacular, perfectly capable of balancing comedy, drama, and horror in every episode.

This is so much more than a show about a girl who slays vampires. It can change the way you react to events in your life and the way you view things. It's that good.
91 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Brilliant
sydney-592 April 2008
I have no idea why people are hating on this brilliant TV show. I watched the entire series on DVD and was completely caught up in it my the end of season one. This show stands up over time and does not become outdated. I watched this show thinking it would be an entertaining hour and was shocked to find the show compelling, hilarious, and full of real emotion. The writers and especially Joss Whedon have come up with some of the funniest TV out there, and easily keep your attention for the entire seven seasons. Each season seems to get funnier, and all the characters continue to develop. Anyone who gives this show a real chance will be captured by the Buffy Universe. If you can ignore some of the more low budget demons and instead focus on the characters and emotion of the story you will not be disappointed. BTVH will make you laugh, cry, and fall in love with the characters. 10/10.
269 out of 359 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way, way ahead of its time
sharkey19731 January 2010
Being the intellectual TV snob that I am, I always maintained that any show with the name Buffy, the Vampire Slayer must be total crap, not worthy of anyone's time and certainly far below me. Then one New Year's Day it was starting over from the first episode on FX and I decided to tune in just to see what it was like. By the end of the first episode I was hopelessly hooked and have been a huge fan every since. I have long since repented my snobby mistake.

Buffy had some of the most original and witty plot lines ever seen on TV and a cast that never let you down. The writers were extremely educated people who made use of all sorts of different mythologies and literary references are rife throughout the series. I even made up a tape of literary allusions from my taped video copies to show to my students to demonstrate the concept. I also shows Innocence to my seniors studying Dracula to contrast and compare vampires in modern day literature.

It may not have had the highest ratings, it may be gone for the last seven years and maybe some people think Buffy had an annoying voice, but I always thought it was true to the idea of teenage angst and early adulthood and I adored Sarah Michelle in her role. Nothing on TV now even comes close to the intelligence of this show.
48 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Now is a good time to start watching Buffy.
dynamicgg7 October 2009
Buffy The Vampire Slayer (BTVS) is a wonderful crossover between the realms of science fiction, horror, adventure, and whodunit. The main cast meet together to solve mysteries and, obviously, vanquish the undead--this earns them the reputation of being Buffy and her Scoobie Gang.

What makes the character Buffy prominent is that she is the exact opposite of the hero these type of television programs and movies popularized previous to this show. Being a slayer gives a girl increased speed, dexterity, stamina, strength, and acuity / alertness of nearby vampires. For the show to explore this unlikely avenue is what gives it the distinction of being completely different from anything before it. Although some might not be willing to suspend disbelief to see Buffy as a heroine, she stands for progressiveness in everyone. Buffy's story has a huge arch that many can relate to, from chosen one to leader.

The show itself is timeless, although some of the early episodes coincide with the advent of the internet and at times you will be watching and yell at the screen "Use your bleeping cell phone!" (cell phones weren't used mainstream by teens until after 2000). This show was slightly ahead of its time in some regards, where you may think some plot lines were lifted from something like The Matrix in episodes that were actually released a good year before it hit theaters.

The stories are quite good, and what I enjoyed most about this show is that the writers actually throw a lot of curve balls at you when you might decide what the outcome will likely be. The characters are witty, thankfully, which keeps the dialogue fresh and the plot developing. Although many episodes start with slaying in the graveyard, everything is kept really fresh.

Yes, there are a few episodes that get a lot of recognition but it's the overall storyline and main characters in the show that makes it worth watching. It has won 3 out of 11 nominated Emmys and 9 out of 29 Saturn Awards, with Sarah Michelle Gellar being nominated for a Saturn every season of the show, winning once. You can see at least the first two seasons of this show free on IMDb.com (and elsewhere) at this point, although just a month ago they had the first three. It can be picked up for $15 a season at Walmart, or in some cases in double packs from $20-30 at Walmart/Target.
72 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Absolutely Masterpiece that demands rediscovering. One of the greatest and Deepest works Popular Fiction has ever produced!
hanifmuhammad927 March 2012
Buffy The Vampire slayer is without a doubt one of the greatest and most addictive shows that i have ever seen in my life. It has everything that a great story needs including horror, romance, action, comedy, fantasy and drama. This is one of the first amazing vampire shows and probably one of the best. The show tells the story of a young high school student that is destined to be a destroyer of demons, vampires and just about any other monster that you can think of. Buffy Summers is a high school student who when faced with insurmountable odds comes out on top every time. Make no mistake though, this series is about more than just a teen-aged blonde chick fighting evil spooky creatures. It is an incredibly moving plot about friendship, love, and the dangers of adolescence. The show is loaded with tear-jerking moments and unforgettable characters. I believe that Buffy has something for everyone.

Season 1- Great opening season. The Scooby gang form an unbreakable bond from the moment you witness them on screen together. Xander and Giles are great and the character of Willow is absolutely adorable.The episode when every student's nightmares came true is a particular favorite of mine. The Master was an amazing villain.

Season 2- An Absolute nightmare in the greatest sense of the word. This season showcased some of the best of what this series has to offer. This season made Buffy one of the most iconic and legendary heroes ever!

Season 3- Absolutely loved the character Faith and the Rivalry between the two slayers was impeccable. The mayor was great. One of the nicest and the most comical bad guys ever. The episodes "The Prom" and "Graduation" will make you shed tears for Buffy Summers.

Season 4: Spike is My Favorite character in the series and I just love that he becomes a regular cast member in this season. The episode Hush is one of the greatest achievements in recent memory. I also though that the season finale was absolutely fascinating.

Season 5: Perhaps one of the greatest tests for our Beloved Heroine."The Body" was absolutely brilliant. "The Gift" is probably the best episode of the entire series in my opinion.

Season 6: Wonderful. I loved that The Buffy and Spike relationship took a lot of surprising and unexpected turns. Fans who trash this season do so at their own peril. The trio were not the Big bad of the season. Willow was clearly the big bad and the best in the entire series IMO. The scene when willow breaks down and curls in Xander's arms at the end of the season was just heart breaking.

Season 7: Criminally underrated and totally on par with the rest of the series. Buffy was not boring for a single moment of this season. Her speech in which she exclaims "If they want and Apocalypse then we'll give them one." is one of the most empowering and inspiring lines of dialog that I have ever heard.It made me want to cheer and tackle all of my inner demons. The season Finale was the definition of Badass.

I began this series during the summer and I just finished it a few months ago. I fell horrible for waiting so long to watch this fantastic show. Joss Whedon needs to find a way to release this series on Blu Ray or something in order to give this series more exposure. This show is every bit as relevant today as it was when it was created. It's the greatest coming of age story ever told! oh and I agree with the fans that rebooting the series without Whedon is an horrendous idea. It would break my heart to see such a classic series disrespected in such a way. Buffy The Vampire Slayer is my favorite Television series of all time!
35 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Thing To Happen To TV
cleosummers12 July 2008
buffy the vampire slayer, great fun to watch if you've never seen it and you have an hour to spare, full of action and kick ass lines.

but all changes if you've been watching obsessively, the kick ass action and the cheesy lines give way to something far more important, the extreme symbolism, when i watch it im still shocked at how well joss has used the whole show to sum up the teenage girls struggle through life, all the characters merge together showing characteristics of a whole person, the demons show all bad people in life and how they concure them and the relationships show how hard it is at that age and how teenagers feel alone.

when watching even after the amount I've watched it through i still find new bits that amaze me, and so people who say buffy is a load of rubbish, obviously don't get its deeper side and just see a girl fighting off demons while tryng to date.

plus there's a musical episode :P what more could you want lol
82 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It IS a show that will stick with you
Buffsterbabe27 June 2008
Definitely the best of its genre. I watch a lot of TV, collect a lot of dvds and LOVE a lot of shows. To me nothing was more loved than Buffy and although i have current shows i love(Lost,etc) Buffy stands out as the best. After the first few seasons you really knew and cared about all of the characters. And to all those people who say SMG can't act...pleaseeeee, she was fantastic in her part and she became a great role model. This show had its serious side, but also left room for some innocent humour and some real love stories. Some of the characters like Spike for example, will always pop up into my head when thinking of TVs greatest villains.

After over 10 years since it first aired, Buffy is still a must have TV show and Buffy and Angel will always be one of TVs best couples.
77 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best
jadegriff17 July 2008
I have to say this is my favourite TV series its got everything. i cant get enough i've got every single episode on DVD and watched them all more than 5 time. the actors and actresses are outstanding and just believable. Sarah geller is a good role model for children as i am only 18 i grow up watching this program and love it. It made me stronger watching it. shes an amazing actresses and so are all the rest they worked brilliant together and felt they all connected and made the show come alive. though out there had always been a strange storyline and all something happening. I don't know how people can dislike this show as there is nothing bad about it. I give this 10/10. best show
73 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 90's show that will always be worth watching
smetin24 April 2017
As a kid, I remember Friday nights being "Buffy" night on sky 1. I didn't really understand the show back then, but I loved Sarah Michelle Gellar. She was pretty and I was a young boy...don't judge me! Anyway, with Buffy coming to celebrate its 20 year anniversary I decided to re-watch this series from beginning to end and boy was I in for a treat.

This show is one of the few that will remain timeless. The only time when it feels dated is when it utilises CGI beyond "dusting" vamps, and possibly with some of the larger costumed monsters. Outside of those exceptions, this show hinges on a solid cast and excellent story telling. The characters are so diverse and shine in their own right despite the title being "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". Over the course of the 7 seasons, each character is tested and has their own sub-plot, which generates an incredible development. Some stories will make you laugh, others will make you cry. Regardless, you truly develop a connection with each character and this is something that I feel is lacking in many TV shows today. The other obvious feature is the cast is very female-heavy. However, unlike some of the recent attempts (Ghostbusters...), it doesn't do it for the sake of it. The female cast is strong without trying to be feminist and that is a prominent reason as to why this show was so successful.

What I also loved about this show is the sheer variety of the episodes. Some were very serious and dedicated to the plot. However, the next episode could have a completely different stand-alone premise that could be hilarious, cringey or even scary. It was great, and even the "worst" episodes (by their IMDb ratings anyway) were entertaining to me. I appreciated the variety and found it made it even easier to binge watch.

Taken together, this TV show is one for the ages. It features a strong cast that portray a team of fighters that are (just) trying to save the world. Although the stories are very much fiction, the themes of friendship, teamwork and love are relatable. If you have not seen this show already, please do.
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
Makarios5528 July 2015
I started watching Buffy when it was almost finished. It wasn't that well-known in Germany at this time and, come on, "Buffy- The Vampire Slayer", what kind of title is that? It seemed to have a quite large fanbase and so, one day, I started to watch an episode. From than on, i couldn't stop. Despite the wacky premise of a highschool-girl hunting vampires, i had great fun watching it. I liked the characters. Buffy, the titular character herself was a lot more fleshed out than i expected, and by the end of the first season, i had a feeling that i kinda related to her. How many times can a man in his mid-twenties say that he relates to a highschool girl that kills vampires? The secondary characters were even better, they were relatable, they were funny and you could really feel with them. The dialogue and jokes were brilliant, i laughed out loud quite some times. When the story got tragic, most memorable in the episode "the body", i couldn't help but cry a little with the protagonists, something that happens to me very rarely in movies or series. I even feel kinda sad just writing about it right now. Other episodes like "Hush" got really scary, something i deemed impossible in a series mainly for teenagers. Of course, some episodes are not as good as others, but the self-awareness, the tongue-in-cheek humour, the characters and sheer creativity of many of the episodes makes easily up for it. And while the underlying moral of some episodes is a bit too open, other episodes really make you think about it.

So when i finally reached the finale of season 7, i had the feeling that i had been on a very satisfying journey alongside the characters, having cried with them, having laughed with them, and, most importantly having a ton of great fun. Something i can only recommend to everyone willing to indulge in it.

And when its over, you can always watch it again. Once more, with feeling...
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliance of Buffy
monsterboi13 March 2005
Buffy The Vampire Slayer, its misguided title put aside, is what I consider, and millions of other devoted fans believe to be a genuine and purely astonishing work of achievement in television history. With creative and daring story lines and terrific character development, the show that began its run on the WB as a mid-season replacement, became a dazzling cult hit resulting in a secure fan base and merchandising for as far as the eye can see.

The show follows a young girl endowed with the ancient powers of the slayer, one girl who fights the forces of darkness, battling alone, relieving the world of vampires and demons. In Buffy Summers' case, after moving to Sunnydale with her single mother, she befriends two loving, but out of place peers, Willow and Xander, who bravely march along side of her. Together, along with her watcher, Giles, they encounter creatures of darkness and strange mystical occurrences, which as a result, draw them closer together and occasionally, set them apart.

On occasion, Buffy is mistaken as a foolish, sci-fi television show which should probably be aired during the depressing Saturday afternoon time slot. But actually, nothing could be farther from the truth. A surprising element to Buffy is that the monsters and demons are a relatively small part of what the show actually stands for. From first love, life, death, sexual experimentation, and self identity crises – Buffy chronicles what it is like to be young person growing up in an overly mature world – with monsters! Between a slayer, a lesbian witch, a carpenter, and a werewolf – anything is possible and welcomed in the Buffy world. With the imaginative and extremely innovative writing of the show's creator Joss Whedon, along with the most intelligent and skillful writing staff that the biz has ever encountered, they were able to produce many groundbreaking episodes including "Hush", "The Body", "The Gift", "Becoming part 2", "Seeing Red", "Conversations with Dead People", "Grave", and "Chosen" – sadly I cannot continue this list for there is not enough space.

Without further ado, Buffy The Vampire Slayer is and will always be an incredible show. If you haven't had the privilege of watching this show, check your local listings for reruns or rent or even buy the entire series on DVD. Without a doubt, you will fall in love with the characters and stories, and by the time you finish the first season you will have welcomed a new family into your lives – sweet and sometimes muddled Buffy, clever and endearing Willow, faithful Xander, perceptive and paternal Giles. This show will linger in our hearts for eternity, and will go on to influence generations of intellectual and audacious writing in television.
693 out of 1,137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Show
jeanlong200430 January 2010
I just read a review that compared Buffy with "Charmed". Where do I begin? I've watched Buffy from start to finish and back again. I've also caught a couple episodes of Charmed and to compare the two is ridiculous. Both have supernatural themes and that is where the comparison ends. Charmed is one of the most pathetic and cheaply made shows I've ever seen. Everyone I know or have spoken to agrees. Buffy, on the other hand, is one of the most intriguing, exciting, and moving shows I have ever experienced. It stands the test of time with its character development, story arch, and realism. As you can tell, I'm a Buffy fan to the end and I don't want to knock on anyone else's shows, but to compare Buffy with Charmed? COME ON!!!
30 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the greatest shows of all time
Smells_Like_Cheese20 August 2002
I don't even know where to start on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this is one of my favorite shows of all time. It was the first show where I had watched it every week, never fell back on an episode and was obsessed with it. I was 12 when it first started, never had I ever been so captivated by a show in my life. This show broke boundaries and had some of the best writers working on it. This was also Joss Whedon's baby, he took a film that was pretty funny but tanked at the box office and turned it into a fantastic show that held a very strong fan base that continues to grow today.

Buffy is a 16 year old girl who is the chosen one to defeat all the vampires, demons and the evil of the world. She's beautiful, smart, strong and has a heart of gold. Her watcher Giles, the school's British librarian, trains her well, but her stubbornness to accept her "gift" frustrates him but it actually helps her along the way. He develops a sincere love for her as a father. Willow is her best friend, a nerd at first but later on becomes a powerful witch. She is one of the most helpful of the group and uses her powers to defend Buffy from the stronger demons. Xander, who has a huge crush on Buffy, but is turned down when her eyes stray to another man. He still helps out and stays strong for Buffy, Giles and Willow. Angel, the 200 year old vampire with a soul who Buffy falls in love with. He and Buffy have sex which gives him a moment of true happiness, he turns evil, she has to kill him, but he comes back and they discover they can never have the love they deserve so he leaves. Cordelia, the popular mean girl cheerleader who the gang helps out several times as she does back when she realizes how good they are.

The villains, The Master, the first vampire. He wishes to raise the hellmouth from under the school, he bites Buffy, she faints as he pushes her into a puddle, killing her. Xander brings her back and she kills The Master. Second season: Spike and Drusilla. Drusilla is an insane vampire. Spike is a bad boy vampire who stirs things up big time, he will do anything to destroy Buffy but always fails. However, he comes to her side and eventually falls in love with her because of the good he sees in her. Third season, The Mayor who is over 100 years old and wishes to destroy Sunnydale. He and rival slayer, Faith, try to destroy Buffy, but she puts Faith in a coma after stabbing her and destroys The Mayor. Fourth season, a government experiment gone wrong with the perfect demon Adam who is like Frankenstein and wishes to create chaos by unleashing all demons into the world. Willow conjures a spirit to help Buffy destroy him. Fifth season, Glory, a God, who is after a key who is sent in the form of Buffy's younger sister named Dawn. Dawn doesn't know till later and they found out all the memories were built by the monks who wanted Buffy to protect her. For once though, Buffy may have met her match, when Dawn's blood is spilled and the evil dimension opens up Buffy sacrifices herself to save the world. What was meant as the original end of the series was only the beginning.

Sixth season, Buffy is brought back by Willow, Xander, and their girlfriends Tara and Anya. However, life is not so easy when 3 nerds gang up to take over Sunnydale. You would never think that they could be threatening since they act like total nerds at first, but then one of them takes a turn for the worst when he's pushed too far, he shoots Buffy but when he shoots the gun again he accidentally hits Tara, killing her almost instantly. Willow looses control of the magic and becomes an evil witch who destroys the killer and tries to destroy the world but Xander comes through telling her that he loves her. Seventh season, the first, the big bad, the evil that can take any form and devour you. Killing off any potential future slayers, Buffy is in for one hell of a ride.

Some stand out episodes include Passion with evil Angel. Third season Helpless where Buffy finds out what it might be like not to be the slayer. The Wish, where we find out what would've happened if Buffy never came to Sunnydale. Bad Girls, where we find out how far you could go as a slayer. Fourth Season This Year's Girl where Faith comes back for revenge and she finds out that she does need love in her life. Fifth season: The Body, very possibly the hardest episode to watch but the best written in the series and if you seriously don't cry during this episode there is something physically wrong with you. The Gift, still the strongest season finally and a powerful ending that will make you cry. Sixth season, Once More With Feeling, the first musical TV episode that spawned a bunch of wanna-be's, but what a great episode. Villains/Two to Go/Grave, a great combination of evil Willow and the fight for her life. Seventh season: Lies my Parents Told me where we discover Spike's past. Conversations with Dead People where Buffy confesses she thinks she's better than her friends.

What a great show to sum it up. The first season was a little Power Rangers with the one liners, second season got more serious, third season was about finding yourself, fourth was about separation and coming back. Fifth was about staying strong and fighting. Sixth was about being done, now what? Seventh was the final chapter to this wonderful series. I miss it so much.
113 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best TV Shows EVER Warning: Spoilers
I'm a fan of this amazing show. Totally.

When it first aired I thought, meh, the movie Buffy back when was kinda funny, let's give this a try. Maybe one or two episodes. Could be fun. Just for laughs.

Then I saw the teaser opening of the pilot episode. It felt like I was hit in the face, for I hadn't seen that coming. I became interested and decided to watch the entire episode.

I got to meet Buffy Summers, Xander Harris, Willow Rosenberg, Rupert Giles, Cordelia Chase, their friends, enemies and the people of Sunnydale. I became hooked. This show had a grip on me that until now only happened with the original Star Trek, so it was something that rare. And the latter was for me the beginning of the 70s when that first aired in the Low Countries. A once in a generation TV show. Pun intended.

There was comedy, drama, horror, a touch of Sci Fi, a lot of fantasy in a delightful cocktail brought to us by the genius of Mister Joss Whedon and his team.

My advise: WATCH this show, take that ride and be sure to also watch the companion / spin-off show 'Angel'. It enriched my life and I'm very glad I got to experience it.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than what it seems.
markiegjc9 June 2013
This show is more than just vampire slaying. It is a positive message for anyone who watches it. Couldn't be put together any better, it is perfection, from the actors/actresses, to the story line. It mixes science fiction with the struggles of everyday life. It adds in such things as money troubles, deaths in family, stress, love life craziness, friendship, high school, college life, etc. Normal stuff that every person in the world goes through with the added fun of the supernatural. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the best TV series EVER made and I will continue to love it and re-watch it for the rest of my years!!! If you haven't watched it yet, you are missing out!!!
Best Creation in the History of the World
alec13-342-61971229 September 2012
This show is just pure amazement. Everything about every episode or season is always good from action and horror to romance and vampires, it's always good. Once you start watching this show it won't just be a show that you'll watch when it's on (Ecspecially seasons 5-7). This show is also classic and often very funny. There is also lots of brilliant acting and story lines. This show has everything a show or movie can ask for great plot, great acting, great special effects, great romance, and great Joss Whedon. My opinion, if you're looking for an AMAZING show with horror, sci-fi, romance, and vampires this is the number one show to watch. And don't be fooled by the first three seasons. The later seasons are so much greater and more tense.
A Must-See!
rayrodgpa20 September 2011
Buffy is, and always will be my favorite television program. It has great action sequences, good drama. Going into an episode you have absolutely no idea what is going to happen or what you are going to experience. You can find yourself laughing your head off and then two minutes later crying your eyes out. But the best thing about this show, in my opinion, are the characters. As the the series matures, the characters mature. And after a few seasons of watching this show, the characters become more than just characters. They become a part of you, who you are. They become living, breathing, human beings. And that is a great and rare thing in a TV show, observing characters that you can really relate to. So those are some reasons why Buffy the Vampire Slayer is great and why I highly suggest that you watch it. Believe me, it will change your life.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best...if not the best TV series ever!
i_like_circles27 December 2010
I am one of the biggest Buffy nerds on the face of planet Earth and if I were to recommend any long-running TV show, this would be it. But that's probably a little biased.

Buffy starred Sarah Michelle Gellar as a beautiful, young all-American girl who at the age of 15 discovered she was destined to become a vampire slayer, protecting the world from supernatural beings from hell.

During the course of the series, Buffy experiences normal situations that every teenager goes through (dating, school, social life etc) but with the added element of being a Slayer. Knowing that she shouldn't have the luxury of friends and family but having this means she's survived longer than any other slayer before her.

I believe that Buffy is one of the greatest TV shows ever made. This is because of how well written it is all the way through (yes, some seasons are way better than others) but as a whole they bring a story of happiness, sadness, action, romance and horror.

Everything about this story is relate-able to someone in some way or another but brings the fun and shock of vampires and monsters into the mix so it's not like one of the usual squeaky teen shows that have been cloned a million times before. :)
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't understand why shows like this get no respect.
BennyTheGreat16 November 2004
Anyone who will honestly sit down and watch a couple seasons of this show will find it incredibly hard to not like it. A lot of people here the name of the show and automatically dismiss it as cult fan garbage. That is simply not the case. This show is as well written, directed and acted as any show on TV. I think it's better it most respects. One of the things it does well is character development. There are a lot of changes even from season to season. It refreshing to see that, you care about them more because they go through things that you went through. A show like CSI you'll have virtually no character evolution. Grissom is basically the same guy he was in the first season. Oh no, wait, I guess he's got a beard now. Yeah, that's completely different. In Buffy you get to see her go from high school student to college student to burger flipper to mom all while saving the world. That's what I'm talking about. Give this show a chance. The first season maybe a little rocky because their establishing a lot of things but the second season onward really rocks.
642 out of 1,108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.