Uncle Sam (Video 1996) Poster

(1996 Video)

Surprisingly Good
abooboo-229 October 2000
I rented this in the mood for a really bad movie that I could rip to shreds but to my surprise, and despite what everyone else seems to think of it, it was actually quite good!

Yes, there are all kinds of B movie slip-ups (like school being in session in the middle of summer, the crippled and deformed blind kid who somehow has been equipped with a sixth sense after a fireworks accident the previous July 4th, and the casket being dropped off and kept in the sister's living room as if it were a new TV set or piece of furniture) but I found myself ignoring all the flaws because the actors had so much conviction in their roles, and because Lustig's camerawork was so fluid and put me under its spell. The image of that Uncle Sam on enormous stilts first peeping into some bedroom, then hobbling away from some mysterious pursuer is one of the most effective, haunting visuals I've seen in a long while.

I was aware of his reputation for sleazy shlock but the surprise here is how much restraint and sensitivity Lustig shows in so many of the scenes (though admittedly not all). Working with a typically insightful/erratic/cliched/inspired/absorbing/impossible-to-pigeonhole script by the infamous Larry Cohen, you can tell that they really have something on their mind here other than just another slasher film ripoff. There are wonderful, quiet scenes like the one where Isaac Hayes' one-legged veteran takes the impressionable kid aside and explains that killing machines like his Uncle Sam aren't heroes at all, or the one where Timothy Bottoms' grade school teacher is forced to defend his pacifist stance during the Vietnam War to a class of skeptical students. And there are just clever, little tongue-in-cheek details throughout that clue you in (if you're paying attention) to the fact that the filmmakers put real thought and consideration into the exercise.

Whatever external flaws it may have, beneath its goofy premise there's real merit here. This is a movie that possesses something which many of its big budget counterparts wish they had: a pulse.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slasher cheese at it's maximum!
insomniac_rod19 November 2004
I don't know if this was a direct to cable movie, but I watched it on the basic cable system months ago after it's release.

I don't regret. It's one of the cheesiest slasher flicks I've watched. I thought I was watching a mid 80's slasher because there's a marked 80's feeling through the movie.

The f/x are as cheap as you can get. The acting is hilarious. Sir Isaac Hayes delivers a weird performance as the badass Jed.

I loved his line at the end before he gives Uncle Sam a little of his own.

Very low budget slasher flick. Doesn't deserves a watch but if you got nothing, NOTHING else to do and it's very late, you should give it a chance. Or at least watch 10 minutes of it to give you an idea of what you're going through. 2/10.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is a great classic horror movie
aja2002-130 August 2005
If you are the type of movie lover, who appreciates a film for what it is, and not what you expect it to be. Or, just love stupid horror movies where within three minutes you know who is going to die, then "Uncle Sam" is your movie.

"Uncle Sam" is first and for most a campy horror-slasher flick. For some unknown reason Sam Harper, who died in Kuwait, rises from the dead when his body was returned home after being MIA for three years. He goes on to cause all sorts of murder and mayhem. Now really, how could you not like that. "Uncle Sam" makes absolutely no attempt to be anything more then that. It has all the classic elements: nudity, axes to the head, and best of all a really freaky looking slasher who looks surprisingly like the guy from "Tales From the Crypt." It is the perfect dumb horror movie, and if you are the type of person who likes stupid, bad, b-movies, then this is a great one.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic trash from exploitation masters Lustig and Cohen!
Infofreak19 August 2002
Between them William Lustig ('Maniac') and Larry Cohen ('It's Alive!) have been responsible for some of the best exploitation of the last thirty years. Together they had previously collaborated on the classic 'Maniac Cop' series. 'Uncle Sam' is an attempt to recreate the success of that partnership. It may not be as consistent as 'Maniac Cop', but it is a lot of fun, and much more entertaining than most of the b-grade horror mediocrities clogging up the video stores shelves. Lustig and Cohen know their stuff ( the movie is even dedicated to the late Lucio Fulci), and true connoisseurs of trash will eat this one up. A superior b-grade cast, some Lustig and/or Cohen veterans (William Smith, Robert Forster, Frank Pesce), and some who are not - Bo Hopkins ('The Wild Bunch'), Isaac Hayes ('Escape From New York') and P.J. Soles ('Halloween'), make this one worth the rental. 'Uncle Sam' gets my seal of approval!
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ummm...a very interesting movie
Reel_entertainment25 October 2001
This movie should have been made 10 years earlier...it's a perfect '80s horror flick. It's a silly romp, which will have you laughing due to it being ridiculous. There's not much violence/gore, but a perfect B-movie. If you're gonna watch a horror movie, make sure it's a B-movie. Simple plot: a sadistic army soldier is shot down in his helicopter by 'friendly fire' by his fellow soldiers. I suppose due to revenge, he goes after anti-americans...flag burners, draft-dodgers, & his ex-wife. Did I mention that he dresses up as Uncle Sam while he does this? Isn't this alone worth watching it?
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Worth The Laughs!
TexGuy25 April 1999
If you like campy horror/comedy flicks along the lines of "Jack Frost", you'll love "Uncle Sam". The story centers around a young boy, Cody, who is very proud of his Uncle Sam who was killed in Kuwait by 'friendly fire' from the US Government. Sam Harper's remains are flown back stateside for a burial. Cody, young and naive, wants to be just like his uncle Sam, but Sam wasn't a hero or good guy after all. Cody unknowingly opens the coffin with the remains of his uncle and then the fireworks start, and just in time for the 4th of July celebration. Tender moments are attempted but fail. Most notable is P.J. Soles of "Halloween" fame as a bitter mother whose son was blinded and burned by a freak fireworks accident. Issac Hayes livens up this film as a veteran and local military historian. There are laughs throughout and some unique deaths. Watch it late at night with a group of friends.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie wasn't the worst movie ever
Pat-8827 June 1999
Anyone who thinks this is the worst movie ever, didn't see a bad horror movie in their life time. Believe me, there much worse movies out there than Uncle Sam. No, I think that this film is horrible too. But there's way more bad movies than this out there

Troll 2 is the worst horror movie ever, not Uncle Sam. This film is Gone With The Wind compared with that crap. At least this one is funny than that trash.

If you people want the worst movie ever made, Go rent the movie "Troll 2".

*1/2 (Troll 2 get no stars)
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the good ole U S of A...or DIE!
capkronos18 May 2003
Young Jody (Christopher Ogden) is a pre-teen with military aspirations thanks to Uncle Sam's medal winning service in Kuwait before his death. Sam's coffin is delivered to Jody's home three years after the fact where Sam's widow and his sister-in-law plan to hold funeral services. Three stupid and obnoxious teens burn an American flag on Sam's funeral plot, which somehow makes him return to life as a ghoul (the make-up is actually pretty good) who offs non-patriotic people while dressed as the title character!

On July 4th at the Twin Rivers festival is where most of the carnage takes place. Death is caused by hanging, flag pole impalement, BBQ grill and fireworks explosion. After finding numerous dead bodies, the festival (and slaughter) idiotically continue. Why? "We wouldn't want to disappoint the children, now would we?"

Awful performances from a cast who should know better, lame attempts at comedy, a moronic script (by Larry Cohen!), a stupid full-contact potato sack race and unbelievable character actions (two adults leave a little kid alone in a house with the killer!?) are just a few of the problems with this gimmicky, subpar horror film.

Score: 2 out of 10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another great anti-formulaic horror film from the mind of Larry Cohen
darkcrash1 February 1999
Larry Cohen has made some of the best horror films of the 70's, 80's and 90's--he's truly an original, like Roger Corman or William Castle. "Uncle Sam" is a terrific horror movie. If you've seen (or been curious about) "Q", "It's Alive", "The Stuff"...check this one out if you want something different.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most painful movies ever made. See it!
sockmonk-29 July 1999
There are worse movies than Uncle Sam, just not many. I saw this movie after noticing its cover was a lot like Jack Frost's (not the Family one, which might have been worse). Although I would rather be hit in the eye with a hammer than see this movie again I in no way regret it. Not since Orgy of the Dead, a movie which managed to make me fall on the floor and not notice, have I been amazed at the total lack of talent needed to create the horror. This, along with movies like Orgy of the Dead, Jack Frost, and the Wizard of Gore (the worst movie ever made), are movies that can be enjoyed by the luckiest of souls. Everyone who can enjoy bad bad bad movies should see it.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh my God. Can't get any worse.
Systematicer23 August 2004
I just rented this movie because of the video cover. It's very similar to the one on the IMDb site.

An awful film with some hilarious scenes, like when the family is on the table and enjoying their breakfast together, while the coffin of the dead Uncle is in the same room. I just waited for the family to take their food and chairs to carry it to the coffin for taking breakfast on the coffin. Unfortunately it never happened.

The actors were incredibly bad. The mother was always p issed about her son when he did something good and she was praising her son when he was doing shenanigans. The scriptwriter must be a beaver or a donkey or something and the director seems to be a six year old child. There wasn't even a second of plausibility in this picture.

In the end sequence, when Uncle Sam gets shot you can clearly see thick wires on his back reaching to the house. Everything about this film was just stupid. Everybody in this film was stupid. This director should get hung up on a flagpole.

1/10 with no comment.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cinematically challenged pile of vapidity
fertilecelluloid9 February 2006
The director of "Maniac" teams up (again) with Larry Cohen, the infamous writer of "It's Alive", "The Ambulance", "The Stuff", "Q - The Winged Serpent", "Bestseller" and a s***load of other genre pics, The result is... rubbish. How could Bill Lustig go so wrong" A dead war vet returns to America, rises from the dead, and goes on a hacking spree. Sounds good, right? Unfortunately, the film has no style, no class, no good murders, and it's as funny as AIDS. It is sad to see the man who brought us "Maniac Cop", "Vigilante" and "Relentless" drowning in mediocrity of his own making. The ad art promised a dark, smart horror pic. The movie delivered a cinematically challenged pile of vapidity.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Don't be afraid, it's only friendly fire."
Backlash0072 January 2005
Talk about a disappointment. I know it's only Uncle Sam, but it's Bill Lustig and Larry Cohen. This dynamic duo should have had better results (see Maniac Cop). Uncle Sam is just so...I don't know, but it's not fun. And fun is exactly what it should have been. It's very goofy but I never once laughed with it, only at it. Perhaps the funniest aspect was the kid in the wheelchair. Where did he come from? He was never mentioned or shown and out of nowhere (and in the middle of the movie) he becomes a major character. Talk about bewildered. The best part is that he's always left behind. If someone goes into a house, the wheelchair kid stays outside. If someone leaves to get a cannon, the wheelchair kid just chills where he's at. It's accidentally hilarious. I can say some good about Uncle Sam. I can say it has one of the best casts to ever grace a slasher film. It's a 70's who's who that features Isaac Hayes, Bo Hopkins, William Smith, and Robert Forster. It's even got the guy who played the president on That's My Bush. I'm not sure how Lustig brought this cast together for this film, but it still doesn't compensate for the negative. If you're wanting to see a hokey horror flick with a killer who never runs out of quips, stick to the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels. If you're wanting to see a serious horror film with deep social commentary about war, watch Deathdream.

"Uncle Sam wants you...dead!"
A bad one.
AD3242 April 2001
I first heard about this from my good friend, who told me to rent it. So I did. Wow! What a waste of a good film. During the Desert Storm, Sam Harper shot down in a helicopter by "Friendly Fire". Sam really believed in and respected the American way. On the fourth of July, Sam rises from the dead, and kills anyone who doesn't respect America. Thats right, anyone from flag burners and people who mock the national Anthem. Uncle Sam effects were fake, and I don't know why they consider this "Horror". My rateing is 4 out of 10.
Uncle Dud
Just in time for The 4th of July we rented this stinker. Yet instead of fireworks we were left with a strip of soggy duds. I guess the producers of this movie didn't think we could make it to Halloween for another Michael Myers movie so they just spun this blatant rip-off. This movie was plagued with all kinds of errors, plot holes and unrealistic happenings.

Lets start from the beginning. First of all, did anyone think to question the fact that elementary school was still in session in the middle of July. Of course not, that is why this is a B-movie. What about when they ship Uncle Sam's body home to his sister's house. She proceeds to leave the coffin in the middle of the living room for days like its a damn Christmas tree, and had dinner parties without even acknowledging it. Now are we to understand that Sam only kills people that aren't patriotic? If this is the case then why does he kill everybody. Can you say plot holes in a paper thin plot! And what is with this town? How many murders have to happen before they stop their annual redneck dirt celebration!

One of the many whitetrash townies was a child thats in a wheelchair. This kid goes from being an extra in mid-movie to becoming a hero at the end. Probably the most unrealistic story of the movie was how this kid actual became crippled. The story is that he was hurt in some kind of freak firework accident. Now as hard as we try, we can't imagine what kind of firework would leave a kid blind, deformed, confined to a wheelchair with third degree burns...oh and don't forget that the accident left him with a "sixth sense." Did they strap an M80 to his bare spine or what? If this accident was so traumatizing, then why do his parents wait til the 4th of July to take him out. Do they want him to have flashbacks of his near death experience? Also did anybody notice how the other characters in the movie just leave this kid alone on the sidewalk like he's yesterdays trash? This happens quite often.

This picnic was just a real bust. The highlight was an extra long potato-sack race through the woods which was plagued with trippable objects and rusty cars (and probably rusty nails). This is a definite potato-sack no-no! One of the teenagers in the race will just do anything to win. He knocks over everybody from toddlers to elderly women just so he can detour off the trail and roll down a hill for what seems like 10 minutes.

Enough about the mistakes, lets talk about how the movie had several scenes that were in slow-motion just so they could stretch this piece of garbage into 90 minutes. In conclusion this movie stunk. It was just another recycled slasher movie. The only good part was after the credits when they show an out-take of an actor actually being injured, but you have to sit through a poem that sounds like it was written by a third grader. I'm sure someday Christopher Ogden (Jody) will meet up with Michael Stephenson (Joshua from Troll 2) in group therapy and have a good cry over the fact that they both committed career suicide before they hit puberty. This movie was so bad that afterwards we had to break into our 4th of July fireworks early just so we could blow it up.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
could have been so much better...
LATENITE4 July 2003
Uncle Sam had potential to be a cult classic. If Big Bill Lustig hadn't tried to take the Larry Cohen screenplay more seriously than it should have been, this would rate up there with Jack Frost (the one about a killer snowman). At any rate, this film delivers some great and often creative death scenes that should please most slasher movie fans. The plot was OK, but could've used more campy humour. See it for the death sequences.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is bloody, it is fiction, it is american, it is horrible!
Patrik1613 February 2003
Warning: Some spoilers for those who wish to see this garbage.

The worst film ever! I have seen many films in all my days, but this was particulary horrible. It was unprofessionaly done, it had no glamour in any of the scenes, it seems like no one wants to care whatever they making a movie or just reading their lines. The beheading of the boy jumping around in a sack is so obviously faked. For god sake, the head looks like a pice of painted plastic! I hope this will never be remade, none trying to copy!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see for a TRUE horror fan
ecwmag29 July 2002
Uncle Sam has got to be the funniest villian i have ever seen. How could you not like someone who kills flag burners and a cop who's trying to bang his wife. The ending credits almost made me soil myself. I recommend you watch this with an 18 pack and let the movie leave you rolling on the floor. The reason I say TRUE horror fan's should watch this is because true horror fans don't care how low budget a movie is, they know the acting is going to be bad yet they rent a movie like this for the kills which are gruesome. WATCH IT NOW!
The Best Worst movie I've ever seen
Palleon7 July 2002
I saw this one sitting in the local movie store the other day, and picked it up. I love renting B movies, and this seemed to be one of them. Yes, the acting is bad, the plot even worse. But still, I liked this movie. I actually liked the bad guy. He kills those who are un-American. He starts of by killing the people who spraypaint Nazi symbols on his grave, then a tax-cheat and draft dodger. Hell, I was rooting for him as his spree continued. It's the perfect July 4 movie, if you see this one, pick it up, you won't regret it.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One more from the Direct-to-Video slag heap!
sanzar22 May 1999
"Hopeless" is the best way to describe this timewaster directed by William Lustig ("Maniac", "Maniac Cop 1, 2, 3"). It's a story about a soldier named Sam, shot down & presumed killed during the Desert Storm Conflict. Some years later, his body & those of his comrades are discovered in wreckage previously buried in a sandstorm. Funny thing is, Sam's not dead, or he's dead but not really dead (although he sure looks it); maybe he's undead! Who cares!

As a vengeful zombie of sorts, Sam shambles around just enough over the course of the next 90 minutes to kill his fair share of the cast.

The cast includes Robert Forster (who probably wishes this dud wasn't on his resume after his success in "Jackie Brown") & Bo Hopkins, who both phone in their pointless cameo roles. Co-stars Isaac Hayes.

Screenwriter Larry Cohen has written & directed some rather inventive films in the past but you'd never guess that given his lackluster effort here. This kind of junk is what has driven horror films to their lowest ebb in decades.

Avoid at all costs!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rent Jack Frost instead...
b. koski4 April 1999
My only interest in this movie was the fact that it was distributed by A-Pix, the same people who put out the GREAT Jack Frost. However, after seeing it I had to agree with a friend of mine who said that it wasn't worth it... I'm not going to bother summing up the plot, since there isn't really a real plot behind this movie. Instead I'm just going to say don't rent this. Please. Pick up Jack Frost or Evil Dead 2 or Back From Hell or something GOOD. Leave Uncle Sam for the drunken party goer who won't remember what the movie was about ten minutes after seeing it. Trust me, you'll be much better off doing that.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not the worst, but not the best
the_last_shadow_200016 April 2002
I love horror movies... my favorite genre in movies. And if you like horror movies your gonna rent or buy them regardless... I stumbled upon this one at the local movie store and rented it. Got home, watched it, and was surprised. The acting was cheesy, the storyline wasn't good, but the scenery was unforgettible. I give this movie a four out of ten. I have to say, this movie is not the worst, but not the best.
The colors of the American flag are Red,red, and red
smd198216 July 2000
This was a pretty good movie. Before Sam Harper died in desert storm he wrote a letter to his nephew Joedy saying "It dosen't matter how big they are! If they don't belive in the American way they don't deserve to live." They never found his body until July 2. They keep him in Joedy's house. When he rises he goes out on the 4rth of July and kills the people who don't belive in the American way. I really think you should rent this.