Trilogy of Terror II (TV Movie 1996) Poster

(1996 TV Movie)

Decent 90's TV Horror
SnacksForAll26 September 1999
Anyone born before 1980 can't help but remember that video cover that stared up at them from the spooky horror section shelf at the "Video Library." It was the one all the little kids loved to rent...it was also the one all the little kids loved to fast-forward through 80% of to get to the Zuni-doll story.

And about 20 years later, the Trilogy of Terror is back, and the Zuni-Doll once again steals the show....but not entirely. The first story, about giant rats in a graveyeard, is well-written and memorable. The second story, while a bit creepy at the beginning, is for the most part....stupid. But not terrible. The third story (saving the best for last) marks the return of the infamous Zuni-Warrior doll. The sad thing about it is, is that it is really a cheap rehash of the classic original. Entertaining yes, but original? Hardly.

But at least the first two stories were a little more memorable. The first two in the original TRILOGY were very well-written, but easily forgettable.

The beautiful Lysette Anthony does her best in this made-for-TV horror flick. Actually, I was impressed with her acting, considering this film was, in a way, standard USA network fare. She seemed at least somewhat enthusiastic about this gig, and filled Karen Black's shoes nicely.

All in All, TRILOGY OF TERROR 2 is good, clean fun for the whole family. That is of course, sarcasm...but, it IS good clean fun for that son of yours who makes a B-line for the Horror section whenever you visit Blockbuster Video....

6.5 out of 10.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
So-So Sequel
utgard1410 January 2014
Made-for-TV sequel to 1975's Trilogy of Terror, which was also made-for-TV. In the original movie, Karen Black starred in three separate stories. Here it's Lysette Anthony. The first story is "The Graveyard Rats." It's about a millionaire's young wife and her lover/cousin (Geraint Wyn Davies), who murder the old guy but find out all the money he had left was in Swiss bank accounts. The passcode for these accounts is on microfilm the old man had buried with him. So they have to go dig him up. But, oh no, what's this? There are giant fake rubber rats that are stealing corpses out of coffins. Good for some laughs, I guess. Anthony isn't a particularly strong actress and Davies is TERRIBLE. But it's got Geoffrey Lewis using an Irish accent so it's not all bad.

The second story is "Bobby," about a mother who uses witchcraft to bring her son (Blake Heron) back from the dead. But he comes back not quite right and soon is trying to murder his mom. This is a forgettable story that starts out one way but quickly devolves into a repetitive slasher story with the kid terrorizing the mom. A very annoying musical score accompanies the kid on his rampage. I screamed for those stupid horns to stop. Weakest story in the movie.

The final story is "He Who Kills." This is a sequel to the most popular segment from the original film, the Zuni fetish doll story. The police drop the doll from the first film off at a museum. It was badly burned so they want Dr. Simpson (Anthony) to examine it right away and tell them what it is. From here, in typical sequel fashion, we get a retread of the first film where the doll comes alive and tries to kill Anthony. Nowhere near as exciting or scary as the original but still the best of this movie. More annoying music.

Made-for-TV movies had decreased in quality quite a bit by the 1990s. This is in large part because in the '70s and '80s, the weekly TV movie was a staple of network television. By the '90s the TV movie became something reduced to crappy cable channels and the occasional network effort like the Amy Fisher crap. They were a higher quality in the old days, for the most part. I'm not saying they were equal to theatrical films but they were a lot better than most of the stuff that's been produced for cable the last 25 years or so. Anyway, this is watchable enough. It helps that Dan Curtis, the director of the original, returned to direct this. It's nothing that will leave an impression but you won't hate yourself for having watched it either.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
"What is a Zuni Fetish Doll?"
Backlash00729 July 2007
~Spoiler~

Trilogy of Terror II is Dan Curtis' sequel to his wildly popular 1975 television movie. Here we have three more lurid tales of fright and fun. Just like the first film starred Karen Black in all three tales, this time it's Lysette Anthony's turn. The first story, The Graveyard Rats, is my favorite. This one is about a couple (Geraint Wyn Davies and Anthony) having an affair behind the back of the woman's wealthy husband. When they decide to kill the tycoon for his money, things get interesting. His will states that he is to be buried in his family plot. Geoffrey Lewis plays the cemetery caretaker (and grave robber) who warns the couple not to bury the husband there due to the rat infestation problem. This does not bother the greedy couple until they find out that a vital piece of bank account information was buried with the husband. A few double crosses later and we find out who the graveyard rats really are. It's a perfect story in the EC comics vein. The next story isn't bad either. It's called Bobby and was written by Richard Matheson. Anthony this time plays a distraught mother who holds a seance to bring back her drowned son. But, does the child want to come back? You know from the beginning that things aren't going to end well. The last story is a direct sequel to the final story in the original Trilogy of Terror. I think you all know which one I'm talking about: the Zuni Fetish Doll story. This time William F. Nolan and Dan Curtis are writing based on the Matheson original. It's pretty much the exact same story, just updated a tad. Interesting though is that technology hasn't come very far since 1975 because they are still relying on quick cuts and shaky camera work to sell the doll action. So, if you enjoyed Trilogy of Terror, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy the sequel. It's simply more of the same.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
* *1/2 out of 4.
brandonsites198123 August 2002
Lysette Anthony takes over for Karen Black in this trilogy of scary stories in which she is the star in each tale. The first one is about adultery, murder, and grave robbers. The second tale is about a mother who uses black magic to bring her dead son back to life. The final and best tale is about the demonic African doll from the first film stalking Anthony. While the effects may be a bit on the cheap side, this is a fun and scary outing. Lysette Anthony is a good choice for taking over the Karen Black.

Rated R; Violence and Profanity.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Trilogy of Terror II
ricky roche19 June 2006
Distributor: Paramount Pictures

Plot: Unleashed in the original cult hit Trilogy of Terror, the demonic Zuni fetish doll carved it's way into movie history. Now there are 3 new stories. "The graveyard rats" which is about a woman that kills her husband in order to get all his money, but she has to fight off giant rats in order to get it. "Bobby" is about a kid who drowned that has came back to life. And the last story is "He who kills" which is about the crazed doll killing people.

Audio/Video: Excellent from Paramount.

Extras: None.

Final thoughts: This movie is great. I have not seen the original, but I'm sure it is the better one. This has not been released on DVD yet, so if you can find it on VHS, then pick it up right away.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Not very Good....
Nawab Anand12 July 2013
Wasn't that great, especially the Third Story it was almost exactly the same as The first movie if you've ever seen it! It wasn't as good as the first movie either. It was just mediocre. Could have been better but wasn't. Is not thrilling, scary, or chilling. Just a pass. If you have not seen the first movie then give it a shot because you may like but being a fan of the first one, I thought there was nothing new added but The same story but not as well executed as the first film. So many new Ideas could have been put into this movie but I didn't see any New or Imaginative in this film. No thought went behind it in my Opinion.

BOTTOM LINE: PASS 3.5/10 Just not as Great as #1
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Dan Curtis rules!
Kenneth Eagle Spirit29 July 2007
And with a cast that includes Lysette (Any relation to Josette?) Anthony, who is and always shall be a major babe, and Geraint Wyn (Who seems to do his best work at Knight.) why shouldn't he? I saw much that was borrowed from the Dan Curtis hit Dark Shadows in this made for TV flick ... The photography, the music certainly, and the ocean shots from the second tale. And these all work right well in this movie. The plots, as a whole, and the acting in particular, work well enough to be enjoyable. True, certain themes like the killer doll have been done to death over the years, but Curtis still knows how to put a twist to the devil of a tail.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
As good as the first one: scary, fast paced and well acted
JimSthers22 February 2002
I really like this movie, Lysette Anthony does a super job in all three tales, like in the first trilogy movie the doll episode is the best and thanks to the technology of nowdays that freaking doll can now seriously run to stalk its victims. I give it a 9, rent it or buy it, you will not be disappointed
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not bad. TheZuni part is best
MovieHistorian21 March 2007
The Zuni from this was created from the original Zuni from the first Trilogy (which was in Dan Curtis's office), so it is pretty cool. I rate this film high due to the Zuni.

I wish they used the same voice actor, Walker Edmiston, who did the Zuni screams for the original Trilogy Of Terror. Nothing can compare to his Zuni screams. Of course Trilogy Of Terror is a 10, but for a sequel, this does the job.

It was a blast to see the Zuni again. I do wish they were a bit more accurate in the opening scenes for the Zuni segment. I don't remember Amelia living in a duplex painted totally white or her robe being blue.

But it was fun.

Coming soon, a cool looking site

Update:

The site is now up. It looks great and will have pictures of the original "Hero" or main cable controlled Zuni puppet used in the film.

For some reason IMDb is NOT doing their job and is not posting trivia from people who actually WORKED on the film. What is up with that?

Go to the website for the real deal.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
and you thought horror was dead......
ChopTop-228 December 1998
The Devil doll is back in this refreshing anthology from genre favorite Dan Curtis. Intelligent story, decent acting, and a scary 1960's feel make this one well worth a rental.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Did I see the same movie? This was just a silly rip off
Kristine7 May 2007
OK, I know that Dan Curtis directed the original Trilogy of Terror, but come on, this was just insulting the original story. Now I wanted to see this because I was curious since I liked the original so much, it is such a classic that is very under rated. So when I saw this playing on the Sci-Fi channel, I didn't hesitate to watch it. Now the first two stories weren't too bad, a little cheesy, but so was the first. I think these stories were meant to be over the top, but the third one was where it went bad. The third story was just a total rip off the the original Zooney hunting doll, the exact same stunts were used along with the exact same lines, the funny thing is, I don't think it was possible, but the woman was definitely more stupid and deserved to be... well... you know.

Well, the first story is about a woman where her husband dies and she discovers his grave is missing and encounters horrible things when she finds out there is more than what meets the eye. The second story was about a mother and her son, her son drowns, but the guilt of not being there drives her mad and she resurrects him from the dead. But unfortunately, there maybe something more she brought back with her son. Then the third story was about the Zooney Hunting Fetish Doll that has murdered two women, but the police think it's a cult type of murder and give the doll to a scientist in a museum, but little does she know the horror that comes with having this doll by her side.

The only thing I enjoyed about the last story was that I did get more than a few laughs, especially where they did her grabbing the blade of the knife from the doll when he is trying to get out of the suitcase she locked him in, and she goes for the blade once, gets cut, she acts surprised, but does she learn anything? No, she goes for it a second time! This film just didn't have the elements the first one did, Dan should have just left the stories alone, they are perfect the way they are.

4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Trilogy of Terror II
Toronto8510 August 2013
Trilogy of Terror II is the obvious sequel to the 70's made for TV film which featured three scary stories. This one has the same number of stories, and each have a satisfying ending to them like the original film. The first story is "The Graveyard Rats" which tells the tale of a woman and her lover who plan to murder her old rich husband for his money. They do the deed, making it look like an accident, but realize that they must dig up his grave in order to any money. Problem is the graveyard is filled with huge rats determined to devour anything in sight. The second tale is called "Bobby". A mother uses voodoo to bring her dead son back, only to discover that by doing so she has unleashed an evil force upon herself. And the final tale (the best one) continues the killer Zulu fetish doll story from the original, this time it attacks a woman alone in a museum who was brought in by police to look at it.

I really enjoyed 'Trilogy of Terror II', I thought it was a very good sequel to a strong film made years prior. The first two stories are scary and creepy, and are actually more creative ideas than the first two tales told in the original 'Trilogy of Terror'. Continuing the Zuni fetish doll story from where we left off with Karen Black in the first film was a brilliant idea! It's basically the day after Karen Black's character killed her mother while possessed by the doll. Good stuff.

Acting all around was brilliant, starting with Lysette Anthony who was the lead in all three tales. There were also some really good stand out performances by the supporting cast particularly in the first story 'The Graveyard Rats' from Matt Clark and Geraint Wyn Davies. Sad to say this has not been released on DVD yet, but it certainly deserves a release! Check this out if you come across it.

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Made all the more Great by the Zuni Fetish Doll.
James McKnight9 February 2016
I never got around to watching the original Trilogy Of Terror,but in some form or another I would either in passing hear from someone about the first entry and even in one situation find myself staring face to face with a model replica that my local comic book store had perched high above one of the shelves. Bearing a price tag I could never at the age of 14 mustered from weeks of Chores. So One night I was scrolling through films to watch when I came across Trilogy Of Terror 2.

THE GRAVEYARD RATS:It starts off rather basic with a story of a cheating wives attempts to bump off her debilitated old husband with the help of her lover. I really liked this one since it hearkens back to that sort of Tales from the crypt and house of Mystery vibe

BOBBI: A mother Loses her son in an accidental drowning. While the husband is away she decides to attempt to resurrect her son to grave consequences. The lighting they used in this gives the house a very eerie and drawn out look.

HE WHO KILLS: This one literally had me terrified. It takes place shortly after the events of the first encounter with the Zuni Fetish Doll as the police turn the doll over to a Dr. Simpson. This doll is the stuff of nightmares and the effects to achieve an almost relentless doll that is quick and dangerous makes you wonder if Chucky and the cast of Puppetmaster seem as though they are standing still. This one I can say was my absolute favourite and I plan on revisiting the first Trilogy Of Terror. I recommend this film for a watch if you haven't seen the first and even if you have.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Yaaah Yayayayaaaa! Yayayayayaya! Ya! Ya! Yayayayayayayayaya! (Zuni for worthy sequel)
Coventry24 February 2008
Twenty years after the original "Trilogy of Terror", starring the one and only horror queen Karen Black, Dan Curtis revives his concept of presenting three unrelated macabre stories with the same actress in the lead role each time. And you know what? It's actually a pretty decent movie and one major class above the majority of horror films released in the decade of the 1990's. The 70's original became legendary thanks to Richard Matheson's segment about an uncontrollable and mega-hyperactive Zuni voodoo-doll going on a murderous rampage. That segment had no real plot, but it offered non-stop excitement and thrills and its huge success is probably the main reason why the TV-movie got remembered and even spawned a (belated) sequel. Of course the sequel's final segment also revolves on the Zuni doll; in fact it's a direct continuation of the events in the first film. Police officers recover the heavily burnt doll in an apartment and bring it to a museum for restoration. During the night shift of Dr. Simpson, the doll comes back to life and promptly goes on killing whoever crosses his path. Ironically enough, this story is actually the weakest of all three. It takes quite a while before the doll gets resurrected and even when the spastic critter is on the prowl the story has nothing even remotely surprising or innovating to offer. The first two segments are rather simplistic, but at least creative and creepily atmospheric. The first story, entitled "Graveyard Rats", has a clichéd and derivative basic premise but there's an ingenious twist at the end. A couple of greedy lovers decide to kill the woman's elderly husband and inherit his fortune. The key for his secret stash of money, however, he took into the grave with him and when the frauds attempts to recover it, they stumble upon multiple morbid surprises with big red eyes and sharp teeth. This same story also benefices from some nicely eerie exterior filming locations and sinister creature designs. "Bobby", the second story, is the best one and arguably even one of the finest horror-moments of the 90's. The plot revolves on a deeply saddened mother reverting to black magic to revive her recently deceased son who fell out of his bedroom widow and drowned in the ocean. It works, but Bobby returns as an aggressive and foul-mouthed psycho with a desire to send his own mother to hell. The ambiance of "Bobby" is thoroughly creepy, as the events take place in a sinister old mansion during a dark and stormy night. The youthful maniac is effectively menacing and some of the tricks he uses to drive his mother insane are fairly original. Lysette Anthony is obviously not as charismatic as Karen Black, but she does really good work and makes the most out of her one-dimensional characters. Especially in the first story "Graveyard Rats", she also looks extremely attractive. Don't focus too much on the Zuni Doll gimmick exclusively, as this is a pretty good horror wholesome and definitely deserves a little more attention.
Great!
g404c11 September 2006
Lysette Anthony heads up the cast in Trilogy of Terror II. I recently caught this on HBO, having never seen it before, and I liked it a lot. It sort of reminds me of Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Darkside, The Hitchhiker, and Dark Shadows (also directed by Dan Curtis). The Graveyard Rats, Bobby, and He Who Kills are the three tales and they are all very good. The first tale may be my favorite, followed by the second and then the last. There are some genuinely good scares.

Check it out if you are into campy horror. Curtis does a fabulous job here. Anthony is in good form and Geriant Wyn Davies, Thomas Mitchell, and Matt Clark also gave memorable performances. Worth watching if you come across it.
Decent at best
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews12 October 2004
First off, I haven't seen the first one, so I can't draw any comparisons between the two. The film is a trilogy, a collection of three horror short stories. Each lasts about half an hour. They are reasonably entertaining and scary, but on repeated viewings, the effects and the acting seems cheap and tame. The stories are all three pretty good, but they could have been more well-done. The acting isn't all good; the leading lady isn't a terribly good actor. The supporting cast are of varying talent. The first time you see the film, it might be reasonably scary, but on repeated viewings it quickly falls apart, due to the low-budget cheap special effects and less than impressive acting. Especially the effects on the final story, not to mention the overdone sound effects, often actually inspires laughter, rather than fear. Also, according to many people, the story of the doll, the last story in the trilogy, is basically a remake of the first. I'd like to see the first Trilogy of Terror film, from '75, since it seems to be far better, judging from all of the reviews. All in all, it makes for a decent watch, once, if you can see it for free. I recommend it to fans of horror movies, who can see it once, for free. Just don't expect anything great. 6/10
Execrable
guy28217 June 2008
This sequel to the beloved Trilogy of Terror is a complete misfire, a lousy and even desperate attempt to recapture the elements that made the original film work. This time we have a mediocre, occasionally inept actress named Lysette Anthony playing different roles in the three stories, instead of the brilliant Karen Black. In the first one she plays a rich trophy wife who bumps off her husband with the aid of her boyfriend. The story is lame, but will probably give you the creeps if you are at all claustrophobic. The second story involves a woman who tries to bring her son back from the dead and apparently succeeds. This story is so poorly executed, from the laughably bad acting from the actor playing the son to the horrible final shot, it's just not worth commenting on. The worst story is the last, which is ironic b/c it's a sequel to the best story from the first film. In that one, Black played a young woman who is terrorized in her apartment by an African Zuni fetish doll. In the new one, the filmmakers have thrown all plausibility to the wind to get another young woman in the same situation. (I love it when the woman and the security guard suspect a killer is in the multi-story building and the guard insists she stay in the lab with the door locked while he checks the place out, even though the door to the lab has a flimsy glass window on it). The story then serves as a strict remake of the first one, with Anthony trapping the doll in a case, cutting herself while trying to grab the knife when the doll saws away at the case, and then becoming possessed by the spirit in the doll at the end. Really, just a complete waste of time. Watch the original instead.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The 2nd one better then the 1st most of time.
jacobjohntaylor112 July 2018
I think really sequels are underrated. And most of the time the 2nd one is the 1st. And this time is no exception. This movie is very scary. It has a great story line. I it also has great acting. If you like good horror stories you need to see this movie.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This movie is far better than the stars give it credit.
mr_waterfall12 September 2017
From what is currently out in movies now, mostly repeats with CGI nonsense. Trilogy of Terror 1 and II are to me a A- of all movies. The Rat one to me had a great story, 2nd of the group of 3. The rats looked really creepy, the characters were very played out well, the woman got what she deserved, and heres another clicker. Since the hole is open, and not buried as others were, wouldn't the rats escape and maybe attack people in the world? Hmm.... makes you think? The rat scene is so cool, their nasty looking they look so real and creepy and freaky looking so, to me it was really great.

The boy one where he plays hide and seek and just is a little basic but still really good. IT makes you think a little bit if there was a reason Bobby died... Maybe the mother was not as nice as she claimed to be. Makes you think a little bit.

The last one where do start on this masterpiece, the whole doll scense are perfect i even claim these doll scenes the best of any doll movie i seen as in term of doll, its the most freakish, creepiest, the little fool is scary, he can kill a whole army, i never seen a creeper doll, and Chucky was, annabelle was and even through hated the ending Dead Silence dolls were freaky looking. Even FInders Keepers was decently freaky.

But the doll in he who kills is in deed the scariest looking. But Dolls the movie is the best over all doll movie. If the doll in this movie had its own it would be #1 doll movie, but since its a short it would but it has to go to the freakiest doll award. It would even be great if there was a Trilogy of Terror 3. The doll scenes are awesome the rats were really cool the holes open.

Dun dun dun.. here they come world, a pack of angry vicious huge rats..

Coming soon :) I write stories i wish i had the money i would. Make a sequel of this idea.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Slightly weaker stories but still good fun all.
Boba_Fett11383 January 2009
When you compare this movie to its predecessor, which got released 11 years before this one, you'll have to conclude that this movie is not a better than its predecessor because of the reason that it's stories all are slightly weaker ones.

Again, just like its predecessor, this movie tells 3 different, unrelated stories that somehow all involve the supernatural. What they have in common is that in all 3 stories the main characters is being played by the same actress. In "Trilogy of Terror" this was Karen Black, in "Trilogy of Terror II" its Lysette Anthony. She of course is not as great as Karen Black, though its fun to see her playing 3 totally different characters in each story.

This is more an horror movie than its predecessor was. All of the stories this time feature horror elements. Again, the last story of the movie features the Zuni doll, which also was the highlight of the first movie. Perhaps this is also the reason why it's named "Trilogy of Terror II"? Fore otherwise this movie of course has little to nothing to do with the first movie that got made 11 years(!) before this one.

None of the stories are extremely well written or anything and they all got based on different short stories. The movie is longer than "Trilogy of Terror" and every story this time is about 30 minutes long instead of 20-something minutes. That doesn't really mean though that the stories are well layered or anything like that. At times they are even a bit dragging, which causes them to be a bit uneven in parts. The build up to the eventual horror often takes too long, which makes the movie itself needlessly long as well.

Of course these type of movies are never dull for the lovers of the genre. Dan Curtis is obviously a director with a love for the genre and that passion really shows on the screen at certain points.

Great one!
JasonVoorhees12353 December 2003
This a great movie just like the first. The parts that make it good are the stories about the doll. The stories with the doll are very funny, and still good. Both Trilogy of terror 1 and 2 are worth renting or buying.

10/10 (same with the first one)
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Glossy Crap, An Insult to the Memory of the Original
czarnobog27 April 2006
Anyone who has ever seen the original should avoid this movie like the plague. While the 1975 Trilogy of Terror was a truly original triple slice of terror, delivering generous dollops of scares, the sequel is thoroughly unoriginal and 99% scare-free.

It's alarming that the same director did both. TOT2 is so vapid and glossy it reads like an audition tape for Tales From The Crypt. The script gives new meaning to the word unoriginal.

The first segment is an ancient horror comic book chestnut which has been roasted one too many times. Its twist ending offers the only true moment of horror, after a long, obvious set-up.

The second segment is a Monkey's Paw twist. The screen credit alleges it is by writer god Richard Matheson. But if Matheson ever saw this movie, he must have upchucked when he heard Lysette Anthony's impassioned occult incantation, in which she invoked the great and mighty god Tetragrammation. Apparently despite making a lifelong career from the occult, the director never heard of Tetragrammaton.

Worst of all is the last segment, a simpering rehash of the original, which featured Karen Black assailed by a very creepy and authentic-looking voodoo doll. The update misfires threefold. Lysette Anthony is a capable actress going through the motions, but generates no real feeling of horror. Karen Black was unforgettable in her performance, which transcended genre expectations, particularly for a made-for-TV movie. The new doll is atrocious, appearing to be made from the same plastic formula as Mr. Potatohead. Its annoying over-the-top growls only exacerbate the idiocy. Hopefully the special EFX crew on this one moved on to something more appropriate to their skills, like a Muppets movie.

It's sad that the once-great Dan Curtis, who gave us Dark Shadows and Burnt Offerings, could be reduced to delivering this piffle.

Horrid, not horror.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Surprisingly good Anthology series
slayrrr66613 January 2007
"Trilogy of Terror II" is one of the best Anthology entries around and a more-than-deserving sequel.

**SPOILERS**

One woman appears in three unrelated horror stories as different characters and persona's.

The Good Story(ies): The Graveyard Rats-After murdering her husband, Laura Ansford, (Lysette Anthony) and her lover Ben, (Geraint Wyn Davies) travel to the countryside for the funeral. When they discover his will was rewritten, his coffin provides the only clues about the changed one, and break into the coffin to find it. In the process, they are attacked by giant rats and struggle to get out alive. This one wasn't all that bad, and it was pretty decent. The opening isn't all that great, but the segment really kicks into high gear once the grave-robbing sequence begins. That kick-starts it and never really slows down afterward, and is quite brilliantly done. There are some nice gore effects, where the rats begin to nibble away at the victims causing all kinds of damage, and there's some other wounds as well. The rats aren't that bad looking, and they're giant size makes them really ferocious and quite vicious. The discovery of the rats, by having them drag a corpse out unseen into the ground from inside the coffin, is very chilling and has a creepy quality to it, and the crawl through the underground caves is really creepy and very well done. This was a really nice segment.

Bobby-After accidentally drowning, Bobby, (Blake Heron) is revived by his Mother, (Lysette Anthony) by a voodoo curse and returns home. As she starts to care for him and nurse him back to health, he starts to act strangely and suggests playing a game together. While she searches the house, he plays a deadly game of hide-and-seek together. This was a really interesting one, and it wasn't a terrible one. This is a simple, straight-forward tale that is insanely creepy and really creepy. The fact that the film is confined to one place is quite original, as the house is one of the creepiest places around. There's lots of long, dark hallways, long winding staircases and huge rooms in the middle that allow for great traps to be set up. There's plenty of just great sequences spread throughout that are just full of tension and suspense. Among the greatest is the car siege, which features the usual clichés found within the types of scenes along with some new ideas, which are just a joy to behold. That the whole thing takes place during a thunderstorm is all the better, giving it an extra dose of fear when it highlights and then conceals, adding much to the chase. This was a very entertaining and certainly worthwhile segment.

He Who Kills-Taking in a Zuni fetish doll found at a crime scene, Dr. Simpson, (Lysette Anthony) begins to restore it and finds that it's perfect condition. Taking a short break for lunch, she returns to find the doll missing. Trying to leave, she is stalked by the murderous doll come to live, and struggles to get out alive. Once again, another straight-forward simple tale that is still insanely creepy and quite entertaining. It really looks quite menacing, and it gives the film an air of creepiness and dread. The body count is a little higher than before, and that's a nice little addition. The stalking scenes in the film, near the end where the doll goes psychotic and really starts in with the realization when she's alone. That there really kick-starts the segment, allowing for some really unnerving scenes, such as the ones in the dinosaur exhibit or the elevator. The elevator especially, which is nicely disturbing and really out there, making for a lot of great shocks and suspense to come from it. This one really works and works well.

The Bad Story(ies): There is only minor annoyances about this one, and they all stem from really unnecessary arguments. The fact that there's really nothing explained in any of the motivations for the three stories that makes them a little hard to get into. The rats appear at the very end of the first one and really don't make any sense. The son returning in the second one makes even less sense. It wasn't explained why it was like that when he came back, and a little explanation would've made the scenario all the more creepy. The less said about the back-story of the Zuni, the better. His makes no sense at all, but these are the main things I can find wrong with this one.

The Final Verdict: This was a really interesting and very entertaining Anthology series that stuck to it's best moments and really only has a few head-scratching moments where it's hard to get a sense of why that happened that bring this down. Fans of the first one will have a great time here, while others interested are advised to check it out.

Rated R: Graphic Violence and some Language
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?