Scream (1996) Poster

(1996)

The best teenage horror slasher film in the 90's my all time personal favorite in the horror genre
ivo-cobra818 February 2018
Scream is the best teenage horror slasher film in the 90's and it is my all time personal favorite film in the horror genre. I love this film I always did and I love to death! It was really the first movie that introduced me in to "horror" genre slasher films. It was directed from my favorite horror master Wes Craven and written by Kevin Williamson. It is a horror mystery like was Friday the 13th and April Fool's Day. Scream deserve legendary status. The movie spawned three sequels and the TV series that I did like. Neve Campbell, David Arquette and Courteney Cox and Rose McGowan work for me. It is about a high school teenage student in the fictional town of Woodsboro, California, who becomes the target of a mysterious killer known as Ghostface who kills teens and who uses his obsession with scary movies. The first one is the best in the series and it is still one of the best horror films of all time.

Wes Craven borrowed and used Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare On Elm Street mostly scenes for this movie. It mentions a lot of cult classic horror movies and till it's day it is still praised by fans. I enjoy this film I always do. This is my movie and my personal opinion! Scream follows the teenage girl Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) who becomes targeted by a psychotic killer dressed in a ghostface mask who uses his obsession with scary movies. David Arquette plays police deputy, Dewey Riley who helps protect Sidney and Courtney Cox plays tabloid reporter, Gale Weathers. This is one of Craven's best along with "A Nightmare on Elm Street" that redefined the genre and Ghostface has become another popular slasher since. "What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?" Ghostface is one of the most popular and really scary character. The mask is so scary before new year on Halloween day I saw the mask putted on a front seat in the car and i was so scared, I thought it was the killer waiting on me but it was only a mask but a scary one.

The Story begins after two high school students are murdered by the serial killer. Sidney Prescott becomes next victim of intelligent serial killer, Gale Weathers reporter and journalist is shure that serial killer is the same person who murdered Sidney's mother one year ago and now he's terrorizing Sidney her self. Deputy Sheriff Dewey wants to investigate the murders by himself, but attractive Gale seduced and confused him, so it's up to Sidney to find the killer, before he kills again to find the truth, she will must kill. I love also the characters: Matthew Lillard as Stu Macher, Rose McGowan as Tatum Riley and Jamie Kennedy as Randy Meeks. Great story and great soundtracks. I watch this movie thirty times and is still the best, I watch with my mom as a teen good times. I love the script the dialogues in this movie, I love Drew Barrymore as Casey Becker in here.

10/10 Scream deserves a legendary status it is my personal favorite horror slasher film from Wes Craven in the franchise. I have the whole collection on Blu-ray discs and I have the first three movies on VHS tapes. I love this film to death I love it!
188 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the coolest and more original horror movies I've ever seen
Xophianic6 February 2000
I thoroughly enjoyed SCREAM. I haven't seen too many horror movies that struck me as great, especially since most of them are the same. I like THE SIXTH SENSE, THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT and SCREAM for the same reason, they are more original than the default horror flick.

Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) is still mourning the death of her mother, who died nearly one year ago. She seems very distant, even from her best friend Tatum Riley (Rose McGowan) and her boyfriend Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich). She, and most everyone else, thought that the killer was already behind bars. But when people close to Sidney start to get killed, Sidney realizes the the killer is still at large. Deputy Dewey Riley (David Arquette) is there to protect Sidney and reporter Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox) is there to get the scoop.

I think the plot of this movie is very interesting and fun. The best part of it is that the killer does his murders in the style of horror movies. The rules of horror movies are often referred to and horror movies are even spoofed fairly often as well.

The actors do a very good job. Neve Campbell is excellent as the primary target/victim and main character of this movie. David Arquette does a fair job as the inexperienced cop (but not as good as in the sequel) and Courtney Cox does a great job as the bitch reporter. Drew Barrymore did very good in her very brief part as Casey Becker. Jamie Kennedy does an OK job as Randy Meeks, the movie expert (but again, not as good as in the sequel). Roger Jackson is the best possible choice for the phone voice and Henry Winkler had a great cameo.

The character development in this movie is good. You'll probably often yell "Look behind you, moron" or "Get out of the room, idiot" at your TV, which this movie is probably going for. Sidney is the most interesting character, with Dewey and and Gale at a close second.

I was surprised that I found Scream 2 to be even better than Scream was. But both are really good. Go out and buy them.
41 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Iconic, unique, fresh, a definitive new horror
Mr_PCM27 February 2006
Scream With the countless number of teen slasher movies doing the rounds, it is too easy to watch scream and see simply another school serial killer movie that has just rolled off the factory production line. However, it was Wes Craven's 'Scream' that started the whole revival of the horror genre and re-invented the teen horror. Through no fault of its own, but rather a succession of bland rip-offs, not to mention a very successful spoof (Scary Movie), Scream's original impact has been severely dulled. Were Scream released today it would no doubt be moderately successful but would be instantly forgettable. But back in 1996 the teen horror market was wide open. The teenagers of the 90s were bored of traditional horror movies featuring haunted houses, vampires or deformed monsters. They had seen them all. So Wes Craven, having reinvigorated the horror genre once before with 'Nightmare on Elm Street', set out to do it again. This time, along with Kevin Williamson, who would go on to be creator of Dawson's Creek, created a new kind of horror – one that you could laugh at as well as scream at.

What made Scream so successful is that it was never patronising, and displayed a strong sense of ironic self-awareness. It took every horror cliché in the book and turned them upside down. For the kids that had seen too many movies, there was now a movie for them. The characters did not follow the clichés, but in fact talked about them, and talked about what would happen if they were in a movie. This sense of irony may seem tired now, but when Scream came out it was new and exciting. There was rarely a need to scream 'don't go upstairs' or suchlike in Scream, because the characters themselves were saying that! The idea of the killer being amongst the students adds a fresh dimension to the film, as fear gives way to paranoia at not being able to trust anyone. The subversions of the accepted horror clichés, in particular in the opening ten minutes (I'm not going to give anything away for those who have not seen it) also contribute to making Scream a truly shocking movie. It was this sense of innovation that made Scream such a breath of fresh air for the horror genre, and it is only a shame that Craven's genius has been ripped off so many times that his work has dated far too quickly. Craven and Williamson have also created a new horror star – but it was not a particular character but just a costume with an iconic mask. The Scream mask has become just as symbolic, perhaps even more so, than that of Michael Myers or Jason Vorhees.

For any serious horror movie fans, Scream is essential viewing, if only to witness the film that started it all. The 'movie within a movie' idea was terrific, and would be taken even further in the sequel. The frequent references to classic horror movies, and reversals of accepted horror clichés, especially in the opening ten minutes) are also fun to watch out for. There is even a wonderful moment where one boy climbs in the bedroom window of his girlfriend – a scene that would be taken and used as one of the foundation for Williamson's successful teen series Dawson's Creek.

The iconic mask, the one-liners, and the unique self-awareness when it comes to horror clichés make Scream a true original – accept no imitations.
102 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hate To Admit It, But It's Great
MadReviewer9 May 2001
There's more than a few reasons to hate `Scream'; the main reason would be that the film single-handedly resurrected the teen-slasher genre, a movie category that had long been beaten to death. Because of the success of `Scream', witless horror crap like `I Know What You Did Last Summer' and `Urban Legend' got greenlighted, half the teenage casts of various WB television shows got summer acting jobs, and some awful scripts that should've been left dead and buried `Teaching Mrs. Tingle' got to see the light of day. `Scream' is responsible for a lot of garbage. But the truth of the matter is, `Scream' is also a phenomenal movie.

The plot of `Scream' is very simple: a masked knife-wielding maniac is busy stalking the students of High, killing them off one by one. The killer's inordinately obsessed with one girl, Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), who of course gets involved in the quest to unmask the killer. The catch (in case you don't already know it), though, is brilliant. Everyone in the film is familiar with all the slasher film conventions. They know that you shouldn't walk in the woods alone at night. They know that having wild sex is an unwritten invitation to be hacked to pieces. They know not to say things to each other like `I'm going outside for a cigarette; I'll be right back.' -- such statements are virtual death warrants. One of the best examples (and best characters) of this is Randy (Jamie Kennedy), the film-obsessed nut of the film, who actually goes so far as to muse what `real' actors and actresses should play the other characters in the film, going so far as to joke about who gets to be Tori Spelling. All the dumb conventions of slasher films are pulled out of the shadows, exposed for what they really are . . . and then, some of them get used anyway, because the characters willingly choose to ignore those conventions. Some cliches are thrown away, while others are embraced. `Scream' really turned the horror/slasher film genre on its ear, becoming the first truly suspenseful and exciting slasher film in many, many years simply because it suddenly had a million new avenues to explore. The film's self-awareness allowed to move in brand-new directions . . . and suddenly, scenes that used to be predictable in other slasher films suddenly become incredibly intense in `Scream'.

Director Wes Craven was perfect for this film -- as director of slasher classics like `Nightmare On Elm Street', he easily sets the visual feels and style of film to perfect evoke all the slasher films of yore . . . and then, much like `Scream's' script, chooses to either faithfully follow the tried and true, or to go off in competely unexpected directions. Either way, Craven manages to create a lot of absolutely nail-biting, thrilling scenes. He also doesn't hold back with the gore, which is always a plus in great slasher films. The acting ranges from barely mediocre to good -- Neve Campbell's okay as Sidney; Courtney Cox is pretty good as tart-tongued reporter Gail Weathers; Jamie Kennedy rules as Randy the film geek; and David Arquette is utterly bland and forgettable as Deputy Dewey Riley, the sad-sack policeman. But casts in slasher films don't particularly matter anyway; the good ones are all about suspense, terror, and gore. And in `Scream', Wes Craven provides massive amounts of all three of those criteria.

The irony is, `Scream' spawned dozens of imitators, and by spawning imitators, all the new avenues opened up by `Scream' quickly got old and boring once more. Still, purely on its own merit, it's an excellent film. The best slasher film of all time is still John Carpenter's `Halloween', without question, but `Scream' actually runs a close second. It's well worth watching. Grade: A-
270 out of 316 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary, funny and clever – the best Scream movie by miles
bob the moo1 April 2002
Almost a year after someone raped and killed Sidney Prescott's mother in the small town of Woodsboro, someone is killing teenagers. When Sidney herself becomes a target, the link is apparent and her missing father is a suspect. However, as with all good scary movies, everyone is a suspect.

The film that sparked the revival of horror movies (Halloween H2O, I know what you did last summer, Urban Legend etc all followed…..thanks a lot!). This stands out from all those (and it's lackluster sequels) by being really good and clever. The story is nothing more than the standard slasher plot – but it avoids the cliches quite well. In fact it uses the cliches as references and makes plenty of jokey references to other movies and the supposed rules of horror movies – we even have a quick flash of a caretaker dressed in Freddy's jumper and hat!

That doesn't mean it's not scary – it is! From the tragically horrible opening 10 minutes through each gory killing the tension is high and the shocks are real. The plot twists nicely and the ending is much better than most slasher movies (including the absurd endings of 2 and 3). This manages to be fresh, clever and scary – getting by any sticking moments with it's tongue in it's cheek.

The cats are good – Campbell is a believable virgin, scarred by what happened to her mother – before she starts turning into Buffy the vampire slayer in parts 2 and 3. Cox is excellent playing against type and David Arquette is funny as the Deputy Sheriff. Kennedy as Randy is also funny as the movie geek – in fact he remains the highlight of the next 2 films. The cast being filled of up and coming faces (including Ulrich) makes it even more thrilling when the `wrong' people get killed, technically all the cast are `unknowns' who usually make up the body count, so really anyone can potentially get offed.

Overall funny black comedy, scary thrills and gory excitement. A rare treat – a really good teen horror movie
88 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic
DylanCanonge21 June 2019
With Scream (1996), Wes Craven re-invented & revitalised the slasher genre with this modern horror classic, Scream is funny, clever & scary, as a fright-masked knife maniac stalks high-school students. A beautiful love letter to horror movies that came before it. A truly classic horror film. What a genius Wes Craven was. Brilliant film making. Defines 90s horror.
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever, scary and funny - a must-see for horror fans
MaxBorg8913 April 2007
Making a brilliant, original horror film is pretty hard these days, since practically everything has already been told, and more than once. Using that premise, director Wes Craven and screenwriter Kevin Williamson came up with Scream, whose cleverness derives from the fact that it knows every single stereotype of the genre and satirizes them.

Take the opening sequence, for example: a young girl (Drew Barrymore) is making popcorn and waiting for her boyfriend when she suddenly receives a phone call. Normally, this would be a huge clichè, only this time the killer decides to play a little game (horror film quiz, naturally) with his victim. In fact, the only reason why he kills her is that she gave the wrong answer to one of his questions (those who haven't seen Friday 13th might want to skip that bit, as it spoils said movie's ending). That scene is both very scary (the murder is quite graphic and disturbing) and at the same time funny (it tests the characters', and the audience's, knowledge of the horror genre), and the rest of the film continues in the same vein: after the first killing, the masked psychopath starts disposing of other teenagers in the town of Woodsboro using the same technique. One of the targets is Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), whose mother was raped and killed the year before. This implies the killer might be the same, but who could it be? Sidney's distant father? Her mother's lover (Liev Schreiber)? Or some random guy, with no motive at all?

Fortunately, it is not the last category: this murderer has a motive and a plausible identity as well. But it isn't the payoff that makes Scream interesting; it's how Craven and Williamson get to it, by outlining the genre's conventions (some of which were actually invented by the director himself) and using them in a clever, if self-referential, way. The point of the movie is, the more you know of this kind of films (pay attention to the rules, stated by geeky film buff Randy), the more chances you have to survive (although you must take into account that the killer has seen the same movies). The in-jokes that would ruin other films are the very cause of Scream's success, with memorable scenes such as the villain mimicking the movie his victims are watching or Craven's unmissable cameo as a janitor wearing Freddy Krueger's outfit (not to mention priceless lines like "Movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative!").

In other words, Scream is a smart, effective horror film, which manages to amuse and scare in equal measures. Definitely worth watching, even if the two sequels (especially Scream 3) don't really match the original's intelligence and, forgive the expression, originality.
91 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a scream that they made something this original!
Smells_Like_Cheese13 August 2002
In 1996, when I saw this in the theater, I was expecting to see a predictable movie. That we would just get bored with. But I was wrong. This has to be one of the most clever movies of the 90's. Believe me, this was an awesome thriller. Wes Craven should stick to movies like this,

It had a wonderful cast. Funny lines. Scary moments. Classic horror scenes that will keep you at the edge of your seat. A movie that you'll rewind and want to watch again and again. And after the 50th time you watch it, you'll say, just one more time.

So, if you have good taste, or are looking for something original, watch this film. And get the trilogy DVD set. It's a screamer!

253 out of 318 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is your favourite scary movie?
freemantle_uk1 July 2011
By the 1990s the Slasher genre was becoming stale, filled with clichés, countless sequels and very predictable and uninventive. Likely two men was able to play on this, Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven was able to play on this and made a really excellent take on Slashers.

In the small town of Woodsboro two teenagers (Drew Barrymore and Kevin Patrick Walls) are shockingly murdered, a year after a woman was raped and murdered in the town centre. Very quickly the town is thrown into turmoil, with the media reporting on it, but the teens do not seem to be worried. The killer, known as Ghost-face soon targets another Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), the daughter of a victim, who luckily escapes. But Ghost-face is going to rest and goes on a mission to take down Sidney and anyone who stands in his way.

Scream works because it is set in a world where horror movies do exist and teenagers know clichés. It is a self-aware horror film and has a lot of references to classic horror films like Halloween. Scream is forced to be inventive and Craven who is a master of the horror genre, so knew what he was doing with this film.

Even if Scream was not made with a post-modern, self-aware horror with a comic edge, it still would have been an excellent horror film and one of the best slashers around. Craven and Williamson made sure their characters were fully developed, likable or at least normal. Sidney is a character with a lot of a baggage because of her mother's death and afraid to get close to people. She is a likable because is a friendly, smart, decent girl who is also tough. Sidney's friend Tatum (Rose McGowan) was tough no-nonsense girl who could have easily been the clichéd slut role, but that was avoided because she was a good friend and competent. Courteney Cox plays a unpleasant journalist who cares more ratings and book sales more then safety of people and emotional harm. She is not a journalist who is looking to report the truth or for the public interest. But she does come good at the end. The characters of Randy (Jamie Kennedy) and Stuart (Matthew Lillard) offer a lot of comic relief particular because of their knowledge of horror films. And David Arquettte is solid as a competent police officer who has a typical brother-sister relationship with Tatum.

Cavern made sure Scream was exciting with a lot of action, violence and creative deaths. I particular like his technique of using the camera to follow the victims and move it around the house, adding excitement and intrigue. He knows how to build suspects and he does keep you guessing. I don't get scared watching horror films but you do care for Sidney and the idea of being home alone at night can make you more tense.

I do have a criticism. They does not seem to be much of a reaction at the school hearing about two of their peers being brutally murdered. Most people seem to be very causal about it and saw it as something fun, not worried about a serial killer being on the loose or just saw it as an excuse for a party. Come on, if they was a murder in a small town there would be more sadden, grief and worry. Personally I would have focused on this collective reaction, but I am a more serious person and possibly would have a thriller/a social piece.

Overall, Scream is certainly a worthy horror film, no manner what generation of horror fan you are.
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thrilling, refreshing horror tale
freakstar6718 April 2000
Watching this film for the first time in the basement of a four story house, with no-one else in was the perfect setting for this film. From the very first scene I was gripped and I could not wait for the climax to discover the murderer and his motives. The script was extremely original, as they had purposely set out to parodie the typical slasher style movie.

It was written in a way that deceived and tricked and had you jumping out of your seats but also laughing at the paradoxical black humour. For anyone looking for a good horror film with a twist, you won't find a better one than Scream.

Overall I give it 9.5/10
138 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Send yourself a copy
asda-man25 August 2011
I'm a sucker for a slasher. I even like the bad ones like "Halloween: Resurrection" and "Urban Legends: Final Cut" but to me they're really fun and often have a really cool twist ending. So when an actual good slasher comes along, I'm all over it. As soon as "Scream" starts with its tremendous opening, you know you're in for a really fun and interesting film with originality. "Scream" ticks all the boxes and is probably the best slasher film ever!

Wes Craven's known for his "Nightmare on Elm St.", "The Hills Have Eyes" and such. All have been OK, but I think Wes has really found his place in the teen slasher genre. He makes it fun and original with the help of the excellent writers who are actually really clever at creating irony plus funny lines and characters.

The thing that holds a slasher together is its characters and "Scream" has really memorable characters. Courtney Cox is a delight as the originally annoying TV presenter that eventually turns into someone who we actually really like. David Arquette is also really funny as Deputy Dewey the policeman. In fact the whole cast is brilliantly fun, including Matthew Lillard who is suitably hammy as the friend of the group.

Aside from the memorable characters and sharp wit, "Scream" is also really exciting and suspenseful. There's even a chase scene that lasts a good 15 minutes. A rarity where nowadays its a quick 2 second chase in the woods. The cinematography and camera movements are also really interesting. The camera sometimes has this dream-like quality to it that suits the film really well. "Scream" never gets dull, it's tense and exciting right up to the shocking end twist that really fulfills your expectations.

"Scream" grasps you by the throat from the minute it starts and doesn't let go. It's memorable and really exciting fun. If you're a fan of slashers like me then "Scream" should be at the top of your list. The sequels are quite good as well, especially the incredible latest instalment "Scream 4" that is probably on par with this incredible original. Horror fans should also really appreciate the references to classic horror films throughout the film. Don't answer the phone, don't open the door, just go onto ebay and click "buy it now!"
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Scream" does not seem like the kind of...
survivor16 August 1998
"Scream" does not seem like the kind of movie that could make you appreciate American cinema. If you haven't seen it, then you're probably viewing it as just another silly slasher flick that creates more laughs than scares. On the contrary. This movie IS filled with plenty of scares and satirizes the horror genre in a way that literally has turned this film into a masterpiece. I guarantee you that while you may not love it (it nearly was rated NC-17 for its intense violence), you'll be highly amused by this one. A-
147 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Scream" - 15 years later, it's still the mother of all modern-day, MTV-generation slasher movies!
dee.reid21 October 2011
OK, here it is, finally, the mother of all modern-day, MTV-generation slashers: "Scream" is the popular 1996 slasher epic that single-handedly signaled the return of the slasher movie, and also single-handedly revitalized the sagging horror genre. But there was a twist: a large part of "Scream's" massive success had to deal with its open acknowledgment of its source material, lending the movie a level of self-awareness that had never been done before in horror (or at the very least, done very successfully).

The closest horror movies I can probably think of before then might have been "The Lost Boys" (1987), or maybe even "An American Werewolf in London" (1981). (And yes, I do realize there is a possibility that I could be wrong, but those are the only two I can immediately think of.)

The movie also represented a marriage of old and new: horror maestro Wes Craven ("A Nightmare on Elm Street," "The Hills Have Eyes," "The Last House on the Left," "Shocker," - to name a few), the man behind the camera of this wildly inventive slasher, was a seasoned professional in the horror genre at the time, yet his career at the point up until "Scream" seemed seriously lagging - despite the mild success of the reality-bending "New Nightmare" in 1994. Enter into the picture newbie screenwriter Kevin Williamson, whose inspired script for "Scream" took the lessons of past slasher flicks and injected a hip, knowing, mid-1990s cynicism and self-consciousness into the material that didn't ride the fine line into camp territory: the kids in this movie spoke and acted like they *knew* they were in a horror film. Together, these two gave us horror movie heaven - "Scream."

Despite the over-riding sense of self-knowing and movie-referencing humor, "Scream" is still edge-of-your-seat entertainment of the first order. It's a ludicrous premise that in theory should not work, but it does: the movie is still pretty damn scary (in addition to being gruesomely bloody and gory), even though all the characters are keenly aware of the "facts" of horror movies yet still knowingly break the rules established by the three godfathers of the slasher genre - the aforementioned "A Nightmare on Elm Street" (my personal favorite slasher movie), "Halloween" (1978), and "Friday the 13th" (1980).

The film's plot is deceptively simple: Somebody is taking their love of scary movies too far, and they're making a killing (pun intended). The classic opening double-murder sequence (featuring Drew Barrymore) sets the tone for the rest of the movie, and that is a non-stop roller coaster ride of thrills, chills, and laughs. Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell, whose performance here officially ushered her into being the MTV generation's scream queen) leads an all-star cast of a slasher movie that also doubles as a brilliantly thrilling whodunit.

So whodunit? It obviously wasn't the ultra-feisty reporter Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox), nor was it Sidney's best friend Tatum (Rose McGowan) or Tatum's bumbling older brother, Deputy Dewey (David Arquette). Or was it one of them? Either way, other suspects include Sidney's boyfriend Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich, whose character's name is an obvious reference to the late Donald Pleasance's Dr. Sam Loomis from ye old "Halloween"), Tatum's mentally deficient boy-toy Stu (Matthew Lillard), or was it the movie-loving uber-geek Randy (Jamie Kennedy)?

I've seen "Scream" countless times over the years, several of those times were in a high school graphic design class my sophomore year. I got into it around '99 or 2000, three or four years after the fact, but I loved it from the opening moments. Upon a refresher viewing today to mark the 15th anniversary of the film's release, I realize "Scream" has not lost of any its impact. But because "Scream" was the movie that revitalized the horror and slasher genres in a single dose, it didn't take long for imitators to follow its self-knowing, movie-referencing satirical formula, and some of those imitators include its three sequels (released in 1997, 2000 and 2011, respectively). (And how about those slasher movie parodies in the "Scary Movie" series? Isn't it ironic that "Scream" was initially titled "Scary Movie"?) It was a formula that worked once and only once.

Most famously, perhaps, "Scream" firmly established once and for all, the "rules" for surviving horror movies. Drum roll, Randy:

1) Sex = death,

2) No drinking or doing drugs, and

3) Never say, "I'll be right back" because you won't be.

15 years later, "Scream" is just as thrilling, entertaining, and funny as it was when I first saw it as an impressionable teenager in 1999 or 2000. Wes Craven has always had a way for directing scary movies with lively and three-dimensional characters, but "Scream" carried the revered horror master and his chief screenwriter into mainstream blockbuster territory, three more times, even.

(Yes, I loved - that's right, I said I loved "Scream 4"; it's the best and funniest since the original.)

15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For me an inventive mixed bag, but there's more good than not
runamokprods15 October 2014
I've gone back and forth in my feelings about "Scream" both times I've seen it, almost 20 years ago when it opened, and just now There are times when its meta-parody- but–still-scary approach to teen slasher films works quite well, especially the ending which manages to be funny, scary, over the top, and socially witty all at the same time. Other times it's too self conscious to actually be scary, but not surprising enough in its humor to really be as much fun as it could be.

It's also a hard film to criticize, because the answer to almost every complaint (e.g. the actors playing high school kids all look like they're well into in their 20s) can always be 'but that's the whole point, it's always that way in these movies'. But one thing that does annoy me that isn't so easily shrugged off is that the cast seem to be in a number of different movies. Skeet Ulrich, for example, brings a surprising amount of realism and depth to his character, while Courtney Cox as an 'I'll do anything for a story' reporter plays a cartoon of a cartoon. This isn't of issue of 'good' versus 'bad' acting, but it does make figuring out just what the tone of the film is, more muddy than it needs to be.

Probably the best thing about 'Scream' is it knows when to BE best. The opening and closing 15 minutes are the two strongest sections of the film, so if the middle is a little all over the place and sometimes repetitive, and a little more obvious in it's humor, that's not what you walk away remembering.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The perfect movie to SCREAM about!!!
sspufan29 November 2011
This movie is truly an American horror classic, and I can guarantee that it will continue to be such for decades to come. The movie is a landmark in film making, considering the fact that it redefined and entire film genre! Scream is smart, funny, and suspenseful all at the same time, which gives the movie the perfect taste for anyone who wants to see a scary and satisfying horror sensation. I remember being so terrified by the Scream mask when I was little. I think I first saw the mask on TV when I was 2 and I was terrified of it, and I nearly peed my pants when I first watched the movie at the age of 6. Scream is the scariest movie that I have ever seen, and along with that, it is the best movie that I have ever seen. It has characters that are easy to connect with and love, especially Sidney Prescott. It is a very enjoyable movie, along with the other 3 in the series so far. I recommend this movie to everyone. It is a true horror phenomenon!
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leave it to Wes to create a good scare...
the_moody_youngest17 December 2006
This film would have to be the scariest movie I have ever seen. Great acting, highly original plot, and interesting characters. This film also had a great script. Not that lame, typical horror film. This film was unpredictably scary. My friends were covering their eyes, but I wasn't, even though this movie scared the crap out of me! Neve Cambell was surprisingly impressive and I loved her character, Sydney, so strong willed.

If you want a good Friday evening scare with friends, Scream is an excellent rental. I would make some popcorn but put it aside whenever the phone rings in the film because you might end up spilling popcorn all over the place.

Scream Report Card:

Acting A+ Script A+ Scares A+ Characters A+

Final Grade: A+
91 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it a lot more than expected...
ajs-1028 May 2011
I have been recently reading a lot of reviews of the latest film in this series, Scream 4. Now, for one reason or another I have never seen any of the 'Scream' films before… well not all the way through anyway. Time to change that I thought and so here we are with the first one, Scream. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, it doesn't take itself all that seriously and there's an awful lot more humour than I expected.

We open with a mysterious voice calling up a girl called Casey, who is home alone about to watch a scary movie. She tries to blow him off but he is persistent and eventually begins to creep her out. Things don't end too well for Casey, or her boyfriend, Steve, after a masked assailant has finished with them. We then switch to another girl, Sidney, her mother had been murdered almost a year ago and her father is about to leave on a business trip. All the talk the next day at school is about the murder and on returning home Sidney receives a call from a man with a mysterious voice. She isn't so easily scared, but still she is attacked by the same masked assailant. Having fought him off, her boyfriend, Billy turns up just before Deputy Dewey. Having found a cell phone on him, Dewey arrests Billy and Sidney goes to stay the night with Dewey's sister, Tatum. As time goes by the bodies begin to mount up and this attracts the media, particularly ambitious reporter, Gale Weathers. It's only a matter of time before Sidney is to be the next on the list, and anyway, there's a score to settle and an awful lot of suspects.

This made a refreshing change for me, a horror film that doesn't take itself too seriously but at the same time has all the scares and shocks of a more serious one. I liked it! Decent performances all round; Neve Campbell did a good job as Sidney, as did Skeet Ulrich as Billy. Also of note were Courteney Cox as Gale Weathers, David Arquette as Deputy Dewey and Matthew Lillard as Stuart. Also nice cameos from Drew Barrymore as Casey, Wes Craven very briefly appeared as Fred the Janitor and Henry Winkler as Principal Arthur Himbry.

There is a great soundtrack too, including an interesting acoustic rendition of 'Don't Fear the Reaper' when Sidney and Billy are first seen on screen together (very nicely done). I suspect, unfortunately, that the other films in the series may not live up to this rather good beginning, but we shall see… If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a viewing, even if you're not really a fan of teen horrors (like me)… Final verdict: Recommended.

My Score: 7.5/10
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the scariest slasher movies ever made--one of the years best films. ***1/2 out of ****
Movie-1224 December 1999
SCREAM (1996) ***1/2

Starring: Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courteney Cox, Matthew Lillard, Rose McGowan, Skeet Ulrich, Liev Schreiber, Drew Barrymore, and Henry Winkler Director: Wes Craven Running time: 111 minutes Rated R (for strong grizzly violence and gore, language, and some sexuality)

By Blake French:

"Scream" is the mother of all teen slasher films. From the opening sequence to the somewhat silly closing cliffhanger, it is one of the scariest productions of the past several years. Now, about the opening sequence, it features a penetrating Drew Barrymore receiving prank phone calls from a man with a deep, mysterious voice, who becomes more and more conversationally aggressive as they talk. "What's your name--because I want to know who I'm looking at." After building up some very effective momentum, the scene has a heart-stopping climatic payoff that isn't only pointless gore, but terrifying suspense. It is moments like these that make "Scream" one of the best movies of 1996.

"Scream" centers on a high school girl named Sidney Prescott, a modestly productive young woman who spends much of her time alone and with her boyfriend, Billy. She is approaching the anniversary of her mother's murder, whose killer has been convicted and sentenced to death. Sydney's school is in the process of mourning the brutal murder of two fellow classmates, and the pupils aren't exactly sympathetic.

One night Sidney is home alone, and receives a phone call similar to the one in the opening scene. Sidney is tormented in that call, and after an exchange of a few unfriendly words, attacked by a dark individual wearing a white ghost mask. She fights him off, however, and lives another day, much in regard to the mysterious appearance of her boyfriend and a young, squeamish cop named Dewy.

The presentation of Sidney's life is not one-dimensional. The overlook on her schooling experiences, classmates, relatives, friends, and teachers are all believable. Strongly supporting the character are the details and sub-characters.

It is nearly impossible to watch "Scream" without making a list of assumed suspects to the numerous killings that take place. Here is my prediction list of murderer suspects, not telling who, if anyone, is the correct guess:

· Dewy, the young police officer who suspiciously shows up at nearly every crime scene, and has somewhat of a psycho personality.

· Sidney's boyfriend, Billy, who is actually sent to prison for a short period of time after being accused as a prime suspect. He also appears at a crime site unexpectedly.

· Sidney's father, whom has motive for murder and is nowhere to be found locally.

· A crazy video store clerk who is obsessed with scary movies and who I forget the details of.

Another element that makes "Scream" so great is the content of the murders. The victims aren't just helpless plot puppets waiting to die like a mannequin, but real people who want to live. Each puts up a good fight in defending themselves, and several nearly escape the killer. The characters who die are often unexpected, members of the main cast--making this production unpredictable.

The performances are electrifying in Wes Craven's highly acclaimed horror film. The actors act with dramatic intensity and the characters are perfectly cast. Each character is explored with suspicion, and due to Craven's direction, the villain's identity remains a mystery until the lazy finale. I am an experienced filmgoer, and I thought that I had the killer picked out at mid point in the film. But I was so wrong--the film had me fooled all along, and that is not an easy thing to do. I had no clue of who the killer actually was. "Scream" contains so many twists are turns that by the end of the movie, I couldn't have correctly predicated the killer's identity if my life depended on it.

Brought to you by Dimension Films.
95 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Favorite movie....
ahaugen10725 August 2004
This movie completely changed my view on horror films.... Before seeing Scream I would never watch anything might make me scared because I hated horror movies... when i saw Scream it completely changed... It also introduced me to Matthew Lillard who I had never heard of before... Now he is my favorite actor! This movie gave so many young actors and actresses a chance to make it big.. Courtney Cox was great in this movie as well as the sequels and after seeing this movie I became a FRIENDS fanatic... This movie also completely changed the horror genre and every scary movie thats come out since takes a little something from Scream... I will always remember the first time I saw Scream... It really captivates its audiences.

ITS A SCREAM BABY!
114 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Instant Horror Classic!
LinkGoku13 July 2011
It's the birth of the serial killer known only as "Ghost Face!"

Wes Craven directs this rarity of a slasher flick thats written to perfection by Kevin Williamson.

The actors all do great! Neve Campbell is perfect as Sydney Prescott, as is David Arquette as Deputy Dewey, Courtney Cox does good as Gail Weathers, Not to mention Skeet Ulrich, Matthew Lillard, Rose Mcgowan, Jamie Kennedy, Drew Barrymore, and even Henry Winkler!

It keeps you guessing all the way till the end! It's easily one of the best horror movies!

Any fan of slasher and serial killer movies will love this one!
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The little parody that could.
McQualude10 February 2008
I recently watched this again for the first time since it hit theaters. Scream has been parodied and copied so many times the film itself is now a cliché but that doesn't change the brilliance of the original. In some ways Scream is an end cap to the modern slasher sub-genre beginning with Halloween on one end and culminating in Scream. Sure, there have been a number of slashers since but the genre hasn't dominated horror as they did in the two decades following Halloween. Scream isn't terribly original but by capitalizing on that it serves to masterfully sum up the genre and two decades of films before it. Wes Craven, where are you now? Deliver us from Eli Roth and Uwe Boll!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
imanialyse3 December 2015
Scream is often disregarded as just another cheesy slasher film to those who have not seen it, or are not a fan of the horror genre. Though yes Scream is considered a slasher film it marks something different for the horror slasher genre. I admit I entered watching this film with an expectation of slasher trademarks, bad acting, easy kills, bad decisions made by the main characters, a masked killer. Let me say I was more than pleasantly surprised by the artistry in this film in comparison to its predecessors such as Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street. Wes Craven has been credited with the classic film direction for Nightmare on Elm, but Scream takes you to another level of creativity. With a sense of mystery as well as the gore of a slasher it makes for an enjoyable experience.

The movie acts as an interesting double narrative, allowing the watcher to become invested in a murder mystery, while also getting a commentary on prior slasher film conventions. Characters are found making direct references to previous slashers sometimes even making fun of them. There are also several visual tricks used in reference to past films. One of the easiest ones to pick up on is one of the characters in Scream Billy's striking resemblance to Johnny Depps character in, you guessed it, Nightmare on Elm Street. There are also several other little nuances lovers of classic horror can pick up on , from cameos to name similarities.

If you are looking for cleverly crafted thriller Scream is most definitely for you. It is a movie that continuously keeps you guessing with just the right amount of jump scares and red herrings. The twist ending will leave you wondering what clues you may have missed even prompting you to watch again. I know I would.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"What's your favorite scary movie?"
paulnm9627 May 2011
'Scream' is a scary movie however the light-heart attitude of this movie makes it quite funny also.

The story begins with a phone call and ends with a blood bath in true horror style. A young teenager Casey Becker (Drew Barrymore) gets a mysterious phone call and the caller asks a series of questions most famously "What's your favorite scary movie?" he terrorizes her for a good ten minutes and probably the most terrifying scene in this movie he finally kills her while wearing the famous ghost-face costume.

The story jumps between horror and comedy, for most of the movie the viewer's heart is racing and for the rest they are roaring laughing. Much of the comedy is provided by the stupidity of Dewey Riley (David Arquette) the always lovable character.

Much of this movie revolves around one character Sidney Prescott (Neve Cambell) and the grief she suffered since her mother was murdered and she a witness. An inpatient boyfriend Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich) seems a suspect of the Woodsboro murders as does many others even Sidney's father (Laurence Hecht) and her friends as well.

I think it is safe to say Wes Craven has done it again in creating 'Scream' it is well recommended on seeing especially at night. So all I've left to say is "What's your favorite scary movie?"
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well worth a watch..
Wes Craven has been contributing to the horror genre for years, with films such as the Hills have eyes, Swamp thing and Nightmare on Elm street. All of these films which have over the years become classics and help inspire the horror films of today. So where does Scream fit in? Is it another Wes Craven classic? Well to perfectly honest, yes! I was never a great fan of horror films, I always found that their plots were too predictable, but scream changed all that. It takes the horror genre we all know, and turns it upside down. This is done by an exciting and unpredictable plot which was excellently portrayed by such people as Neve Campbell, Skeet Ulrich and Matthew Lillard, who each added a certain something to the already brilliant storyline. With one of the most memorable and sinister faces from the big screen, it has struck fear into the hearts of many since day one. Wes Craven has done it again...
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better Than Most Slashers...
Klockard2322 April 2011
I am giving Scream nine stars out of ten, because I think, for what it is, it is a near perfect movie. The storyline is simple: a girl in her late teens named Sidney Prescott is still dealing with the murder of her mother a year ago. And then, just two or three days before the one year anniversary of her mother's death, a killer dressing himself up in a spooky Halloween costume called 'Father Death' (later called Ghostface) starts murdering people in the small peaceful town of Woodsboro. And he makes Sidney his main target. From there on, it is a "Whodunit" murder mystery, where any of the other characters in the movie could literally be the person behind the mask doing the killing, and only at the end of the film will you find out who it is.

Here are some reasons why Scream is awesome, and way above the (vast) majority of slashers:

-The acting is very good. There isn't a single bad actor in the entire movie. Most slashers (and horror films in general) have acting that is just OK at best.

-None of the characters in this film are interchangeable. There isn't one character that feels like they exist only for the sole purpose of dying.

-The opening scene is one of the best opening scenes in any horror movie, ever. Just perfect.

-This was a breath of fresh air in the horror genre when it was first released back in 1996. The horror genre was all but dead, and then Scream came along and gave it a much needed boost. Scream has since spawned (thus far) three sequels, and has become one of the most popular horror series.

There are other reasons why this movie is awesome, but instead of continuing to type them out, I recommend that you just watch it (if you haven't already) and see for yourself. If you're a fan of slashers, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.