The Nutty Professor (1996) Poster

A Real Showcase For Eddie Murphy
ccthemovieman-12 July 2006
A general nasty tone to this comedy prevented me from rating this a "9" or a "10," but it does have a ton of laughs, courtesy of Eddie Murphy. He's at is best when he's at the dinner table playing everyone but the kid. That is one of the funniest scenes I remember from any 1990s comedy.

His humor is very crude in here (another PG-13 rating that is ludicrous) but very funny in spots, too. With that kind of humor, it's easy to go over the line of "good taste" which he does on occasion. Overall, however, Murphy is remarkable as all these characters. I believe he plays seven in all. This is probably his biggest 'showcase' ever on film, demonstrating his comedic talents.

Even though this has a childlike-romance-type feel to it, and a nice message about bias against fat people, there are so many raunchy and downright nasty lines - mainly at the comedy club or the dinner table - that it's certainly not recommended for kids. This is a LONG way away from the original Jerry Lewis movie. Still....for adults, this movie provides a lot of laughs.
55 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
big laughs
Special-K8825 April 2002
In order to gain the affections of a sexy colleague, and more importantly feel better about his overall self-deprecating image, shy, grossly overweight genetics professor Murphy takes an experimental serum that transforms him into a charismatic, testosterone-driven hunk. Things go quickly awry however when he starts to lose his own identity and battle his alter ego for complete control. This Jekyll & Hyde formula is familiar but it's elevated by fresh, consistent laughs, clever and innovative gags, terrific make-up/special effects and a delightful performance from Murphy who's absolutely hysterical as he portrays each member of his family. Lots of fun. ***
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly, Sad, and Poignant Film at times!
Sylviastel28 May 2008
Eddie Murphy transforms himself with the help of the Oscar winning make-up team into an array of characters known as the Klump family, Buddy Love, and Dr. Sherman Klump, an overweight lonely professor. He becomes Buddy Love when Sherman develops a formula to thin him down but the formula does not last as long as he would like it too. It's not permanent. He becomes a full-fledged Buddy Love, the man who is thin and goes after the ladies unlike never before. The scenes with Dave Chappelle as the comedian who pokes fun and cruelty at the overweight Sherman is quite sad. Murphy delivers in his role and many roles on screen. As Dr. Sherman Klump, you like him the best because he is the kindest and sweeter than Buddy Love who only thinks about himself. As the Klump family, Murphy proves that there is nothing he can't or won't do to get a laugh at the audience. But enough with the fart jokes around the dining room table, the movie also includes James Coburn and Jada Pinket Smith as the woman of Sherman's desire who goes after Buddy but she does not realize he's the same person. It isn't the acting but the make-up that shows how Sherman to Buddy transformation can be.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the...? 5.6?
TheLittleSongbird13 April 2010
The Nutty Professor isn't 100% perfect starting off a little too slow, and perhaps not as enjoyably daft as its predecessor. But is it really that bad to warrant such a measly rating? No, it isn't. I try not to take IMDb ratings to heart, but the Nutty Professor is actually a good film that manages to be funny and touching. Tom Shadyac directs snappily and there is a very nicely written script, not something that is absolutely exceptional but impressive in what it sets out to do. The film even looks beautiful, with some nice cinematography and lovely scenery. And the performances? Well, I can go on all night about how brilliant Eddie Murphy was. He was not only funny, he brought some poignancy to his seven roles and did it to perfection. Jada Pinkett Smith is a suitably attractive romantic interest/teaching assistant too. And of course the make up and computer graphics are fantastic. Overall, well played and really enjoyable, it doesn't deserve the low rating. 8/10 Bethany Cox
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murphy hilarious in all seven of his characters.
smla025 January 2003
*** 1/2

Starring: Eddie Murphy (x 7), Jada Pinkett Smith, and Larry Miller.

An obese college professor starts to fall for a pretty teacher. He doesn't think that people will like him if he was fat, so he uses a weight-losing potion he created on himself. It works perfectly, and the professor is extremely thin. Now, people treat him differently than when he was fat. But he soon finds out that the "thin" side of him has a mind of its own and is looking to get rid of the "plump" side forever.

Murphy does excellent in all seven roles that are given to him. The scene(s) that really make it funny are the dinner ones. I will say that on a low note, Buddy is a little over the top.

I highly recommend it.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murphy and Baker Really Bring it Home
Michael_Elliott10 December 2012
The Nutty Professor (1996)

*** 1/2 (out of 4)

Hilarious remake of the Jerry Lewis film about the overweight Sherman Klump (Eddie Murphy) who comes up with a chemical that will turn anyone skinny overnight. Klump rushes the experiment on himself after an embarrassing night out and becomes the skinny but annoying Buddy Love (Murphy). At first Buddy thinks this is what he wants but the side effects quickly follow. I don't care what anyone says but Eddie Murphy should have won the Oscar for this film and yes I've seen all the nominations from that year. It's rather amazing to see what Murphy was able to do here, playing at least seven characters and making of them one of the most memorable you're ever going to see. I don't care who you are but when you see Sherman Klump you can't help but fall in love with the character and the way Murphy plays him is just something amazing to watch. Even the Buddy Love character is quite memorable and this doesn't even cover the Klump family that Murphy perfectly handles. Rick Baker also deserves a lot of credit for the special effects and these here have to be considered some of the greatest of his career. The film really does walk the line between hilarious comedy and some rather sad and dramatic moments. There's no question that the film really packs a punch no matter what it's trying to do. The story itself certainly comes with a message that's not preachy and I think Murphy really delivers it in a touching way. The one flaw with the film is that it breaks out of a realistic nature at times and especially with way too many fart jokes. Still, there's no question that this here is Murphy at his greatest and the Sherman character is just so great that you can't help but be won over by the film.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My 90's favorite film
stormhawk202113 May 2017
The Nutty Professor is along with Bowfinger, one of Eddie Murphy's last funny comedies. The idea is good, and I enjoyed the comedic elements of the film. Of all the films that Eddie Murphy has starred in, The Nutty Professor is one of his funniest. Sure the film isn't perfect, but there are plenty of good laughs here to entertain the audience. I'm not the biggest Eddie Murphy fan, but I enjoyed this film, and I thought it had some great moments where the film was very well done. The Nutty Professor is a good comedy, and somewhat underrated. However, if you enjoy Eddie Murphy, give this one a shot, The Nutty Professor is one of his last funny roles, and he really does bring on good laughs with his antics in this film. The Nutty Professor has a good cast starring opposite Murphy, and the film boasts another comedic talent, Dave Chappelle. And the acting of Jada Pinkett Smith as Carla was great! The film works well enough to be an entertaining hour and a half and despite the fact that it's not a comedic masterpiece, the film still has plenty of laughs going for it, and is much better than the second. This is one of Eddie Murphy's last good film roles along with Bowfinger afterwards he really started to make unfunny films that just insulted the intelligence and were a waste of time. Luckily looking back at this film, you realize that Eddie Murphy was once very funny and capable at delivering something unique on-screen. Now, he's totally irrelevant and unfunny. The Nutty Professor may not be the best comedy, but it definitely is worth watching and is pretty funny for what it is.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sheer comedic brilliance
view_and_review4 January 2007
"The Nutty Professor" is easily deserving of being mentioned with the funniest movies of all time. This movie was nothing short of comedic genius. Eddie Murphy cemented himself as a comedy legend with his performance(s) in "The Nutty Professor". I would go so far as to say that I've never seen two scenes funnier than the two Klump family dinner scenes. For Eddie Murphy to have pulled that off so seamlessly only showed his range and his talent. The two dinner scenes were gut busting hi-la-ri-ous, and what made them so good is that you don't even realize that Eddie Murphy is playing all of those roles. The second dinner scene was particularly hilarious because of Professor Klump; although he never says a word. He was so humiliated by his family's actions that he had the most mortified look on his face, and a couple of times you could even see him attempt to cut his wrist with a butter knife. Priceless!!!
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A comedy that can be watched over and over again! :)
gilligan19656 August 2015
Since day one, Eddie Murphy has been a favorite of mine - he's a great comedian (probably the greatest ever); has a great presence; great talent; a lot of charisma; is great with the ladies; a great writer and storyteller; a great entertainer all-around; etc., etc., etc!

This movie, like 'all' of his others, is GREAT! In fact, I've never seen an Eddie Murphy movie that I didn't like. Sure, this movie pokes fun at people who're fat; naive; elderly; uncouth; etc...but, so does everyone else in real-life!?!? However, it also pokes fun at cocky and arrogant people (Klump's boss; Reggie the comedian; etc.), so...if you can accept and laugh at one group, accept and laugh at them all!

Despite all of this, Eddie Murphy has gone way above-and-beyond with his portrayal of multiple characters - is there anything that this guy can't do!?!? To me, a talented actor makes what they're doing believable. An 'extremely' talented actor does this, but, also adds touches such as different voices, accents, personae, and, so forth. Eddie Murphy does all of that here!

Anyone who down-grades a movie, a song, a painting, etc. because they feel that it makes fun of them - 'improve yourself.' One way of improving yourself is to become comfortable with the way you are, and, learn to laugh at yourself. If you can't laugh at yourself, you have no right laughing at all...mostly, because you're the same kind of hypocrite who laughs at others in secrecy!

I find this movie to be a great work by an extremely talented and funny comedian, and, I really like it! :)
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How is this Rated 5.6?
rikfontana23 October 2019
Generally speaking, there are a LOT of weak, to awful, Remakes. But this one is definitely the exception. Funny, touching, clever, bombastic, and Murphy is brilliant in his numerous roles (including his two portrayals of the Professor). So I was surprised when I saw the film comes in at 5.6. Huh? I thought I would check out the 106 reviews and the vast majority heap the same praise that I believe The Nutty Professor deserves! There must be a lot of low voters who decided not to express their reasons. This movie is NOT mean-spirited to overweight people; and in fact Sherman Klump is presented in a very kind, sympathetic manner. I actually was so impressed that Murphy could convey that so authentically. If you have not seen this, Highly Recommended for a fun date-night or when in the mood for some amusing madness.
31 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Eddie Murphy Show
areatw21 December 2016
'The Nutty Professor' is a fun, warm-hearted movie with a leading actor at the very top of his game. This is Eddie Murphy at his absolute funniest. Quite how he managed to pull off SEVEN different characters in a single film and nail every one of them I will never know.

For some reason, this innocent, fun movie seems to have made a lot of people quite grumpy. 'One of the worst ever', 'fatism' and 'offensive', according to other reviews. Actually, it is quite the contrary. The message of the film is about accepting who you are. Professor Klump wants to be somebody he is not, until he realises that people actually love him as he is.

I would consider 'The Nutty Professor' one of the best comedies of the 90s and an absolute masterclass from Eddie Murphy.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Klump sweet character
SnoopyStyle16 May 2016
Sherman Klump (Eddie Murphy) is an overweight professor at Wellman College. He's working on a weight lost formula that actually restructures DNA. Dean Richmond (Larry Miller) is not a fan of Klump who has lost him lots of donors. They need to get the last rich alumni Harlan Hartley (James Coburn). New teacher Carla Purty (Jada Pinkett Smith) is a Klump fan. When she accepts a date with him, he tries to lose weight. After getting embarrassed on the date, he decides to take his own formula which turns him into the smooth operator Buddy Love.

This is not for anybody who gets offended by fat jokes. There is plenty of that plus loads of fart jokes. It's saved by a very appealing character in Sherman Klump. He's a nice guy. The romance is sweet with Jada playing a sweet girl. It's actually very sad when the comic picks on him. I like the guy but the fat jokes aren't funny to me. This is a nice take on Jekyll & Hyde.
One of Eddie Murphy's best
Quinoa198428 July 2000
Eddie Murphy proves that he can always give multiple roles to films and TV show here with this remake of the 1963 script. Difference, this time it is with a black cast and instead of being a loser and ugly, Dr. Sherman Klump is a guy who wants to be thin and liked. He does this, and becomes Buddy Love. Filled with hilarity, but also some heart (and a message) with the point that it doesn't matter how much you weigh. What matters is if you believe in yourself. One of Eddie's best and of the year 1996. A+
A Man of Substance
rmax30482312 August 2003
The theme of each of us harboring a darker side, just aching to get out and cause mischief, is an old one, but it truly flowered as literature in the age of Freud. Never before had our animal impulses been so -- well, repressed. The legs of easy chairs and sofas were dressed with tiny floor-length skirts. "Legs" were impolite, replaced by "limbs." A "bull" was "a gentleman cow." Virgins could be easily seduced because they didn't know the mechanics of what was going on. Chicken parts became "white meat" and "dark meat" instead of you-know-whats. Stevenson's Jeykll and Hyde were a perfect expression of this duality, the contrast between what we were and what we pretended to be. The theme has been enduringly popular because, to some extent, it's still an appropriate way to interpret culture. And it's also a flexible theme, one that can be changed to suit the times. If Stevenson's story was about sex (as was Wilde's "Portrait of Dorian Gray") then Jerry Lewis's 1963 movie, of which this is a remake, was about subservient conformity. This one is about physical fitness and narcissism.

Never in my life would I have dreamed that someone could remake a Jerry Lewis movie that made Lewis's humor seem subtly elegant, but Murphy has managed to do it. Eddie Murphy's movie is often extremely funny but about as understated as a train wreck. I think the word to describe the hilarious dinner scenes that depend on open flatulence is "raunch." I don't know why we find it funny when someone farts. There are cultures, like the Samoans, in which it is taken for granted as an ordinary biological act and receives no more attention than a sneeze does in our culture. Murphy's entire movie is about at that level of raunchiness, outdoing Lina Wertmuller's "Seven Beauties," which has a corpse farting, outdoing Chaucer -- outdoing everybody.

Murphy has a fantasy in which he is taken to the ER, filled up with gas, and the staff are unable to stop his body from balooning. He swells to a monstrous size, enveloping one of the doctors the way an amoeba absorbs a food particle, smashes upward through the building, strides gigantically through the city streets while people scream and run, reaches a hand through the upper-floor window of a hotel towards Jada Pinkett the way King Kong did with Fay Wray, reaches PAST Pinkett, and two huge sausage-like fingers delicately pluck the leg from a roast chicken next to Pinkett's bed. But that's not enough gigantism. Murphy gives this blimplike figure a spasm of intestinal gas which is released through the streets at hurricane force. A bum tries to strike a match and light a cigarette. The city is vaporized by an explosion the size of a nuclear bomb's. Okay, that's all. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead, something Murphy chose not to do.

Sherman Klump, the fat man and the central figure, is a likable character. One of the reasons for this is that he is one of the few actors who isn't constantly screaming with rage or laughter. He speaks quietly and it's a relief, what with all the bedlam around him. But it's more than that. Murphy actually brings pathos to the role, and without Disneyesque condescension. What I mean is, Murphy ACTS for a change instead of being Murphy. (He doesn't bring much to the alter ego, Buddy Love, except even more Murphy than we're used to.) There is a scene in which Sherman Klump brings his date -- his first date -- to a nightclub and the comic begins insulting Klump because of his weight. Klump goes along with it genially at first but as the comic continues, relentlessly, humiliatingly, Klump's accomodating smile fades and is replaced with an almost infinitely sad resignation. (He's been here before.) He does well by the character in other scenes too.

The subtext is disturbing. I don't know if Murphy realized exactly what he was getting hold of. Smokers having become pariahs, soundly trounced, insulted, and penalized for their weakness, we've been seeking other targets and the searchlight has fallen on the obese, the out of shape. "I can't help it," said the Chairman of a sociology department, "but when I see somebody who is overweight I just think of him as weak." (That's a sociologist talking.) Insurance payments are higher for the overweight. Some airlines now charge double the usual fare because fat people make their seatmates uncomfortable. I've seen bumper stickers in California: "No Fat Chicks," and a red circle with a diagonal stripe drawn through the silhouette of an overweight woman. I won't go into the many studies that have emerged from social psychology in the last decade or so, showing the social handicaps suffered by the overweight. I doubt that Murphy intended this movie to be so, but it is a stinging critique of our pitiless society as well as a very funny movie.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great comedy, but not a great movie.
cinephile-276905 February 2019
Let me get this straight right now: The Nutty Professor is NOT one of the best movies ever made! That is not why this gets a 10. This is a comedy, and so it's supposed to make you laugh. And that succeeds very well.

This movie stars Eddie Murphy in 7 roles: Sherman Klump, Buddy Love, Sherman's Dad, Brother Ernie, and most hilariously-Sherman's mother and grandmother. He is also a white man that parodies Richard Simmons! However, Sherman is the main character, and in this movie, he is hundreds of pounds in weight. Why? Because all he does is eat!

He then falls in love with a beautiful woman(her name, in fact, is Miss. Purdy) and when he's had enough of people's teasing(a comedian at his date becomes the straw that breaks the camel's back), he makes a potion that he can drink and he sheds countless pounds. However, his alter ego is also very obnoxious, and that causes some problems.

I first saw this movie when I was about 10 or 11. My Mom let me see it, and we watched it together. She had seen it before, but she forgot at how vulgar it was.

So we heard all these curse words(mostly the A word, among other bad words), and there were a ton of fart jokes and sex-related humor we did not like.

An example is a scene with numerous Yo Mama jokes-one being: "your mother's so fat, after sex I roll over twice, and I'm still on the b*tch!"

We got halfway through it, and I actually offered to take out the VHS tape. (Yeah, welcome to MY era!)

However, I have grown to love it, and I have seen it well over a dozen times now!It, along with it's sequel, are great fun and hilarious as well!

If you are in the mood for mindless fun and something to not take so seriously, this is a movie that will fit the bill. It's not one of the best movies ever, but it's a thoroughly entertaining comedy!
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The nutty doc again
Petey-105 March 2000
Eddie Murphy plays an overweight professor Sherman Klump and six other characters in this hilarious comedy.The doc falls in love with his student Carla Purty (Jada Pinkett) and he creates a potion.The potion makes him thinner, more handsome and more annoying Buddy Love.The Nutty Professor is a remake for the 1960's hit comedy with Jerry Lewis.There are some differences in these two movies.In the first version Lewis played a nerd doc and in the remake Murphy plays a fat doc.Both movies are great.Murphy does a great job playing seven characters in the movie.The Nutty Professor just makes you laugh.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fine, funny, touching film???
Jim-50022 November 2002
Yes, that's how I feel about it. And no one was more surprised than me.

While I think Eddie Murphy is often hilarious, I don't care so much for his scatological humor. It make me think he wasn't toilet-trained properly.

We get a fair amount of fart jokes in this flick, but they work because they fit in the context of the scenes, and the characters' motivations. They make sense first, THEN are funny, rather than the other way around (or just being silly because no one could think of anything funny to write).

But overriding the gas glee is a thoughtful story about a fat man dealing with his weight and trying to find romance. The special effects that gave Murphy his blubber are truly astounding. It never looks fake. And above all this is the incredible screen chemistry between Murphy's Professor Klump and Jada Pinkett Smith. Smith is always genuine in her interest in Sherman; and his bashfulness and sincerity are truly endearing.

I found this movie to be a pleasant surprise. I think you might, too.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Murphy Comeback Is On
slightlymad2225 January 2018
Contin you know my plan to watch every Eddie Murphy movie in order, I come to Nutty Professor (1996)

Plot In A Paragraph: In a depressed state, kind but overweight professor Sherman Klump (Murphy) takes a special chemical that turns him into the slim but obnoxious Buddy Love.

I remember Reading about this being made and thinking there was no way this remake with Murphy could be a hit, certainly not one with him wearing a fat suit. I promptly dismissed it, as what would be another Murphy flop. After years in a career slump, I was not alone. Murphy said "I had a bunch of movies that didn't work. People were saying, "Eddie's no good," so I was like, "Not good? Let me show you what I can f***ing do. It seems every five or six years, you have to do something to remind them that they like you."

Murphy, is energised for the first time in years. Using this passion, he is seriously back on track with a lot of energy, missing in so much of his work the last couple of years. The movie is a remake of the Jerry Lewis movie, but I'd say it's more inspired by, than an actual remake of the 1963 classic. This version follows the broad outlines of the Lewis film, with one inspired addition, it makes him fat!! Opening the door for a lot more physical comedy.

This is Murphy's best performance and movie since Beverly Hills Cop. Every adult member of the Klump family is played by Murphy. He has always been good at this type of thing, and here it really works (even if fart humour is not your thing) Sherman is one of his most likable characters, good-hearted, sympathetic and funny. When Sherman turns into Buddy Love, the character resembles Murphy's own on stage act. There is a lot of Buddy Love in the Eddie Murphy screen persona. Maybe too much. And not enough Sherman Klump. The Nutty Professor shows him back on track.

Murphy was nominated a Golden Globe for the fourth time. His first since Beverly Hills Cop (14 years earlier) More importantly, it was a hit at the box office. The Nutty Professor grossed $128 Million at the domestic box office to end 1996 as the 8th highest grossing movie of the year. The first time Murphy had a $100 million grosser and a movie in the top 10 highest grossers of the year in 8 years. The comeback was on.
How do ya like that?
lee_eisenberg19 April 2006
After several years of worthless movies (namely "Boomerang" and "Vampire in Brooklyn"), Eddie Murphy made his comeback with "The Nutty Professor", a remake of the Jerry Lewis classic. He plays overweight Prof. Sherman Klump, who invents a potion that turns him into the cool but mean Buddy Love.

Overall, it seems that the movie is a big excuse to be crazy. And that's just what they do. Looking back on it, they probably could have done without all the flatulence, but that dream sequence was still a hoot. My favorite scene was either the parts with Dave Chappelle, or the whole end sequence.

Obviously, they changed a number of things from the original version. Actually, I must have been only eight when I saw the original version, so I'll have to see it again. But either way, this is a comedy classic. And it just goes to show that Eddie Murphy does best when he goes for straightforward clever comedy and doesn't degenerate into things like "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" or "Daddy Day Care". A modern classic. Also starring Jada Pinkett (before she added "Smith" to her name), James Coburn and Larry Miller.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very basic humour – but also very funny for the most part
bob the moo27 July 2002
The overweight professor Klump is developing a chemical that accelerates weight loss. When he tests it on himself it unleashes a thin version of him one Buddy Love, but has dramatic personality changes. Both men are trying to woo the delightful Miss Purdy, but only one man can stay forever and the race is on for Buddy to get the chemical that will destroy Sherman and for Sherman to stop him.

Yet another Eddie Murphy come back period in time! After Beverly Hills Cop 3, Metro and Vampire in Brooklyn Murphy needed a hit and this broad comedy gave it to him. The plot is a loose remake of a Jerry Lewis film and takes plenty of basic jokes but manages to make them funny for the most part. None of it is subtle but it is mostly very funny.

The weaknesses are of course that it is coarse and crude for the most part. Buddy Love himself isn't a good character as he is a total playa and you can't see why Professor Purdy would be attracted to him (save the one night club scene). But Sherman himself is well developed and is actually quite a sympathetic character and not just the object for fat jokes.

The main reason it all works is simply Murphy himself. His characters are all great and the family dinner scenes are very funny if a bit crude and dirty. Outside of these family scenes the comedy feels like it is stepped down a gear but that's the heart of the film for me. Pinkett-Smith is really good and is sexy and sassy without overdoing the whole ethnic thing (talk to the hand etc). Support from Coburn, Miller and Chappelle is all good but this is really Murphy's show and it is never better when he playing 4 or 5 characters at once.

Overall this may rely on the most basic of jokes – fart, fat, sight and sex gags but it is still funny. And lets not forget, if we put this next to the terrible part 2, this looks like the very definition of subtlety and restraint!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Brilliance from Murphy
DJBurfitt6 May 2003
In my opinion this is one of the funniest movies you will ever see. This Eddie Murphy at his brilliant best playing seven different characters in the one movie. This is pretty much a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde routine with Professor Sherman Klump (Murphy) creating a weight loss formula which transforms him into Buddy Love (Murphy). The best scenes of the movie are the dinner scenes at the Klump house where almost every character you see is Eddie Murphy. Very few other actors could have pulled this off. 10/10
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent, hilarious, and somewhat touching movie about being happy with yourself
Catherine_Grace_Zeh5 August 2008
THE NUTTY PROFESSOR, in my opinion, is an excellent, hilarious, and somewhat touching movie about being happy with yourself. If you ask me, Klump (Eddie Murphy) was a very brilliant scientist despite the fact that he sometimes let his alter ago get the best of him. However, when anyone teased him about his weight, I wanted to cry. This was especially true when he went out to dinner with Carla (Jada Pinkett). The reason for this is because Reggie (Dave Chappelle) and everybody in the club made fun of him. However, when Buddy (Eddie Murphy) took Carla to dinner, I felt really good. This was because of the fat jokes he and Reggie were throwing back and forth at each other. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everything about this film was spectacular, especially the performances. Now, in conclusion, I highly recommend this excellent, hilarious, and somewhat touching movie about being happy with yourself to any Eddie Murphy fan who hasn't seen it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not very funny
Calicodreamin8 September 2021
The Nutty professor does have a few funny moments, but for the most part the jokes fall flat. Also, for a movie that's main 'message' is acceptance... it relies pretty heavily on fat jokes. Eddie Murphy does a good job creating unique characters, but the storyline and humor just don't work.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This low?!
ericstevenson10 February 2017
I'm pretty shocked to see that this movie has a rating of only 5.6. I admit it's not one of the best comedies ever made, but this movie really does have a lot of significance. Eddie Murphy has been in so many recent bad comedies it's great to see him in one of his funniest roles ever. I saw the old version with Jerry Lewis first and I guess I should probably compare the two. While both are good films, I think the new one is actually probably better. It seems to be more cartoonish than the original and probably has more laughs.

1996 to 2001 wasn't a good time for movies, especially comedies but this one stands out pretty well. I mean, I really do like the main character and the set up is really nice. I like how it all leads up to a very entertaining climax as Sherman literally fights with himself or rather, his alter ego. This movie has been quoted by my brother so many times I really have no choice to like it. He's never stopped saying, "Hercules! Hercules!". Well, he just simply says, "Herc". As a pretty significant film for the times, I recommend it. ***
Eddie Murphy shines in his Many Roles,
lesleyharris3021 August 2015
The Nutty Professor is a great movie with a well developed storyline and a terrific comedic cast. It's a very funny and enjoyable movie, mostly due to the comedic genius of Eddie Murphy, this film easily could have been a disaster without a good comedic lead to hold it together, and thankfully Murphy did with over seven roles, and he shines in every single one, it is pure movie magic to believe that he plays the majority of the main characters in this, and it also won itself a deserving Best Makeup Academy Award. For the most part I enjoy the humour in the movie, although there are certainly too many fart jokes to the degree that it gets a bit irritating and the scene between Murphy and Dave Chappelle was unnecessary, I also felt like Jason was a very underdeveloped character, I enjoyed John Ales portrayal of him but we never get to know very much about him, I would have liked to have gotten a clearer indication on the friendship between him and Klump. A redeeming aspect of this movie that you wouldn't normally see in these types of comedies is that there is a lot of heart, the love story between Klump and Carla is very sweet and this is the engine that really gets the film running, having something like this adds an extra layer to the character and makes him more relatable for the audience. Funny and well acted, I would recommend the Nutty Professor to anyone looking for a good comedy.

An overweight professor takes a special chemical in order to look good for a woman he has fallen for, but it has some disastrous side effects.

Best Performance: Eddie Murphy Worst Performance: Dave Chappelle