Maximum Risk (1996) Poster

(1996)

If you see only one Van Damme film...
revere-715 July 2002
If you see only one Van Damme film...see Maximum Risk. It is a decent thriller, not just a martial arts flick. Unfortunately, after seeing how good Van Damme can be (yes, he can act - something we've yet to see from Stephen Seagal who he's usually compared to) it makes you sad to see how many bad films he's really made.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Decent Action Adventure.
chris19873 November 2011
As a Van Damme fan when i saw this film i was instantly blown away.The only thing i didn't like was the brother storyline again.How many brothers has this guy got.But seriously this is an action movie from start to finish.There is car chases, fights, and of course a beautiful woman.What more could you ask for?.Well nothing really,this movie has it all and to think it was from the start of Van Damme's drug taking days.He must have been on drugs to make Double Team which is'nt bad film ,just bad actors (Dennis Rodman).Any way Maximum Risk is a movie that will have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.The fight scenes are great and well directed.And it has Natasha Henstridge who acts well and puts on a decent performance.She is also easy on the eye in more ways than one.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Van Damme's Best.
Cochese-614 December 1999
"Maximum Risk" is not just a good Van Damme movie, but it's also probably one of the better action movies in the last few years. The story is well written (for an action movie), and is fast paced. Director Ringo Lam ("City on Fire") impresses the viewer with excellent action sequences. This is definitely Van Damme's best turn as an actor. Natasha Henstridge does a rather decent turn as the damsel in distress, and creates good chemistry between herself and Van Damme. I don't see why this was a huge flop in theaters; it's surely Van Damme's best and at heart an exciting action flick.
23 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one of the best action movies
jimakros25 September 2010
This movie stars Van Damme who has been in many B-movies and is known as a b-movie action star.I believe thats why this movie gets this low rating. This movie is an a-movie and one of the best action movies and one of my favorites.The rating is simply ridiculous.Van Damme may not be a first rate actor but can he hold his own in this kind of material.Everything else in this movie is first rate.The plot is interesting,there are all kinds of chases and action scenes,All the action scenes are terrific and there's plenty of them.The bad guy is one impressive dude,makes for some really awesome wrestling scenes with Van Damme. The girl is the gorgeous Natasha Henstridge.In my book this is one fine action movie.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent US Debut for Ringo Lam.
argentobuff24 February 2006
French Cop,Alain(Jean Claude Van-Damme)one day finds out he had a twin Brother,travels to America to find answers about who he was,and who murdered him.Running afoul of the Russian Mob,a Brian Bosworth Looking Hit-man,and crooked FBI agents along the way in New York.He also finds himself Protecting/falling in love with the dead bro's squeeze played by Natasha Henstridge.All leading up to a big shoot out in an abandoned Wherehouse...Sorta.This is not your usual Van Damme movie.

Matured Van Damme?Yep.

For starters Maximum risk is helmed by Asian-action-man,Ringo Lam.He gives the movie a lot of atmosphere and style.The fight scenes are realistic,gritty,and for the most part brutal.Notice Van Damme goes for the Jugular here.Breaking bones as well as high flying kicks. The gunfights are staged well.Some good chases.And a nice scene involving a chainsaw.

The scenery is worth it too.We start out in warm,beautiful,summertime France to Dead of winter, smelly, New York city.I think its a nice contrast arc on the story.

Lam gets one of the very best acting gigs outta Van Damme Yet.He is at his darkest and most volatile here.Natasha Henstridge is kinda wasted to anything but eye candy.Zach Grenier and Paul Ben Victor are just okay as the bad guys calling the shots.Trouble is they are not really a physical threat for Van Damme.Stefanos Miltsakais as Redface fits this bill very well.His 3 confrontations with Alain are worthwhile.although its get to be a little tedious bordering on parody.

This would probably be the best Van Damme movie if it were not for the slow pace and excessive dialog,which does serve a purpose.Its just we get some flashy action.Then 15 minutes go by leaving us wanting more.Then it starts up again.Brake.Gas.Brake.Gas.

The gunfights are good,but It seems Ringo was holding back a little from his usual trademark stuff to pacify the suits behind the scenes.

If your looking for the usual from JC,then go watch the Quest.This is a much more complex,adult-themed movie.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good & Bad Of 'Maximum Risk'
ccthemovieman-122 May 2006
This Jean-Claude Van Damme action vehicle gets good marks for sound, low profanity, some very good action scenes and some interesting characters that keep your attention. It loses marks for excessive violence, too much "Rambo" mentality (good guys don't get hit despite a barrage of bullets) and, yet, another modern-day film in which the FBI is corrupt.

This is also another of these action films that has TOO much action. It would be better with some more lulls. It almost gets ridiculous in spots. Nevertheless, some of the scenes such as car chases, fires and explosions are so well-done you have to admire the great stunt work in here. Man, those stunt men earn their money!

You would be hard-pressed to find two leads in any film with the bodies of Van Damme and Natasha Henstridge and neither are shy about showing them off, so you have the usual gratuitous sex scenes, but they are brief, as is the profanity. This is a loud film. If you have good speakers, be ready to have the room shake with lots of bass.

Overall, it's about 100 minutes of mindless but entertaining diversion.
26 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Parents always lie to their children, to prepare them for the way they'll be treated later by the government.
lastliberal6 December 2008
This has to be the best Jean-Claude Van Damme action movie he has made. It has it all, and it has it in spades. This movie is 100 minutes, and 95 of those are pure action.

You have great car chases through the streets of Nice and New York.

You have a whole lot of people the Government is not going to have to arrest and try because they will not be around.

You have three, count them three outstanding fights between Jean-Claude Van Damme and the biggest, baddest dude you can imagine.

And, you have Natasha Henstridge in the bathroom making love and giving us a view we will long remember.

What more can you ask for?
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Top action delivered by Van Damme and Lam
action-62 August 2000
Maximum Risk is the second Van Damme-movie to be directed by a HongKong-director(the first was "Hard Target" by John Woo), Ringo Lam delivers stylish action as always, but this isn`t the same as "Full Contact", but this is very good after American standards. Van Damme delivers his usual stuff. Maximum Risk is great! 9/10
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Over-plotted.
gridoon4 October 1999
This Van Damme vehicle is plotty, yet the plot is mostly uninteresting, and ultimately cliched. The car chases are spectacular but repetitive, and that repetition quickly grows tiresome. Fight sequences are mostly impressive, but when Van Damme faced the same (great) opponent for the THIRD time, the thing started resembling a parody. Best reason to see the film is, as the first reviewer points out, the presence of the smashingly beautiful and athletic Henstridge. Van Damme's performance is OK, as always.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An average actioner that I can only recommend to hardcore Van Damme fans.
TonyMontana964 May 2017
(Originally Reviewed: 11/01/2017) Maximum Risk is the second film that has Jean Claude Van Damme play identical twins, and while, it might not be saying much, it's better than the latter (1991's Double Impact). If you've seen a Van Damme film before you'll know exactly what to expect here, though he can make good films (Timecop, Kickboxer), he clearly hasn't done much here, the acting is okay for a mediocre actioner with a by the numbers plot with the exception of the lacklustre villain played by Zach Grenier. Natasha Henstridge is tremendously hot and there's a pretty nice sex scene in a bathroom within the picture, herself and Van Damme both have chemistry but the script isn't taking them anyway we haven't been before.

Another problem is Van Damme has done some pretty badass action sequences and combat scenes in the past, however there's only one decent one here involving a 7 foot or so Russian who weighs a lot more than himself. The last sequence is also very sloppy and it takes place in a slaughterhouse, it's just not exciting or anything remotely close to it. Overall Maximum Risk is by no means a bad movie, it's more of a clichéd, predictable one that I personally could only recommend to hardcore Van Damme fans.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
some good action but story too messy
SnoopyStyle14 January 2016
In the south of France, Mikhail Suverov (Jean-Claude Van Damme) dies after a car chase. His doppelganger Alain Moreau is a policeman from Nice. It turns out that his mother had given up Mikhail to be adopted. He traces Mikhail back to NYC tracking down Alex Bohemia. People mistakes him for Mikhail. Alex (Natasha Henstridge) at the nightclub Bohemia is Mikhail's girlfriend. Mikhail had been trying to leave the Rusian mob run by Dmitri with lieutenant Ivan Dzasokhov. Corrupt FBI agents are also after evidence of their involvement with the mob hidden in a Nice bank.

The story is messy. It's too complicated. A little bit of simplification would allow the movie to concentrate on the action. It should have fewer bad guys and I don't know why he doesn't get help from his french police friends. A long distance call to his partner would have really helped. Van Damme and Henstridge are not necessarily great actors but they give their best effort. There is plenty of action. There are fight action, gun action, stunts and car chases. One of the problems of a complicated story is the need for exposition. It slows down the movie when it's not done well. The movie slows down in many spots.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well, its not THAT bad...
AwesomeWolf29 April 2005
After watching 'Legionnaire' and 'Death Warrant', I finally get back to a movie in which Van Damme gets to do a lot of what he does best: kick lots of random people in the head. I always knew I was easily amused, but 'Maximum Risk' really demonstrates that fact.

Van Damme plays Alain Moreau, a French cop who discovers he has a twin brother, Mikhail. Trouble is, Mikhail is suffering from a slight case of death. To find out why Mikhail was murdered, Alain must simply travel to New York (which in the tradition of 'Rumble in the Bronx', is actually Toronto), assume Mikhail's identity, and beat up as many Russian mafia goons as he can in 90 minutes. Simple, no? Awesome, no?

OK, maybe I'm talking 'Maximum Risk' up a bit. Sure, it lacks any development in story and characters, and any attempt is minimal (all are good things whenever I'm concerned), but even with Ringo Lam at the helm, this is nowhere near Van Damme's best effort. The action scenes are good, but nothing special.

'Maximum Risk' is really only for Van Damme fans. Van Damme fans who haven't seen it should check it out, but if you're looking for a more solid action movie, he has a fair few better movies around - 5/10
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Van Damme the ULTIMATE 80's / B-movie actor
rowanpearce12 April 2006
Damme, Jean Claude made it to the big screen with this film. Co-starring the sexy Natasha Henstridge (she even looked good when she was pregga's). There is decent sexual innuendo, but nothing ever progresses to what made me rent this film, as i'm sure thousands of other viewers were hoping after watchign Species. I mean, it should have been guaranteed with a B actor like Van Damme, and a Hollywood tart like Henstridge, it sounded like an unbeatable combo. Nevertheless, there is decent fighting, and i will cut JCVD a break as he is old despite looking like a 30 year old. Worth a watch as it has good perve ratings and action. The formula that Hollywood as thrived on for decades. Keep up the good work guys!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Movie that changed my life !!!
cmurph66619 July 2005
sometimes there is a movie that is so moving that one leaves the theater in a stunned silence unable to speak lest the emotions get the better of you and the tears flow, such is this movie. As a boy in Holland i used to frolic in the fields and dream that i as the magnificent Van Damme avenging evil in this world. when my father caught me imitating Van Damme he would beat me with a wet towel until i cried like a little schoolgirl. As such I have dreamed since then that i could see a movie that finally let Van Damme unleash his fury on the evil things in this world. The villains in this picture are the very manifestations of my childhood visions of evil incarnate. Van Dammes vanquishing of them was like revenge for all the times that my father beat me, I can die a happy man now that I have seen this masterpiece and Van damme has avenged the sins of my father. if you don't like this movie i will hunt you down and kill you for your ignorance of the art of cinema and your fascist belief in parental brutality.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Van Damme at the Top of his Game..
adonis98-743-18650321 April 2017
A policeman finds out that he had a twin brother who was killed in a violent altercation. He takes his twin brother's place, inheriting his problems and his girlfriend, determined to expose corruption and collusion between the FBI and the Russian mafia. Maximum Risk is a must see Van Damme film for his fans it's silly and over the top, it's action packed and yet very enjoyable to watch plus there's an awkward and out of nowhere sex scene between Jean-Claude Van Damme and Natasha Henstridge. The action sequences are also quite good despite the budget that it has and if you love action movies in general you won't be disappointed. (8/10)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"What you find here could be ugly."
classicsoncall24 March 2017
I go into Van Damme and Seagal films for the martial arts mayhem and there didn't seem to be much of that in this picture. Plenty of everything else though - car chases, a shootout at a Turkish bath, and Natasha Henstridge looking as fine as she did in the prior year's "Species" movie. The big bruiser Russian (Stefanos Miltsakakis) was a formidable foe for Alain Moreau (Van Damme) and didn't look like he could have ever been beaten in close-in fighting; he had to outweigh Alain by at least fifty pounds, probably more. Filled with nasty bad guys on both sides of the pond, it makes you wonder if our own FBI agents would ever get involved with the Russian mob. At one time I would have said no way, but after recent escapades within the agency I wouldn't doubt it could happen. Besides all the incredible and mind boggling punishment Alain goes through, I just had to shake my head at how easily he zipped through the French bank's set of protocol questions to get to his brother's safe deposit box. I guess Mikhail wasn't very creative. Too bad about the New York City cab driver, I got used to him doing his run at the mouth gimmick. I would have read his book too.
Bourne-style Van Damme greatness
Leofwine_draca27 August 2016
A surprisingly complex thriller from Ringo Lam, a noted director in the action genre, making his first western film. The amount of sub plots help to make this one more interesting than most, as throughout the film Van Damme is being chased around by four or five different groups of people, this makes for entertaining viewing. Loyalties change, baddies come and go, and the film flies by with many varied and exciting action sequences filling out the time. I liked it a lot.

Thankfully, the film is not solely full of martial arts or just plain shooting. It's a mixture of both. The various shoot-outs are well staged and choreographed, while Van Damme gets to deliver some really hefty kicks to his enemies. And it's a memorable group of baddies this time around, including corrupt FBI agents, Russian assassins and the Russian Mob. One blond-haired hulk is virtually indestructible, and the three or four fight scenes between him and Van Damme are probably some of the slickest, neatest fights that Van Damme has ever put on film. The final battle in the lift is great.

The characters in this film are slightly more fleshed out than usual, and the baddies at least have a reason to want Van Damme dead. There are also plot threads, including a romantic one between Van Damme and Henstridge, although thankfully this is kept to a minimum. Also, we get to see some surprisingly poignant moments, which are not necessarily laughable (although you may scoff). Jean-Claude Van Damme looks pretty old and tired in this film, but I guess that's because he was suffering from the cocaine addiction thing at the time. Still, he's as powerful and agile as ever (or is that the stuntman?), jumping through windows, falling from heights and generally being an all-round action man (but more believable than most, thanks to his everyday hairstyle and clothes, this Van Damme is closer to reality than in his other films). Natasha Henstridge is adequate as the love interest, but quite shallow really. The rest of the villains are all memorable and eminently hissable.

However, the acting is not really the main priority with Van Damme's films. It's the action people watch for, and this film does not disappoint. So many different things happen in so many places (the film keeps shifting location), and there are some inspired set pieces (the entire bank thing is memorable), and even a fight between Van Damme and a chainsaw-wielding villain at the end. What more could you possibly want? I know Van Damme is not one of the most popular stars, far from it, and the general consensus is that his films are cheesy, but I'm just finding these early ones to be better and better as time goes on. MAXIMUM RISK is criminally overlooked and deserves far more respect than it currently has.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"I'm not who you think I am."
Predrag9 May 2016
While not necessarily one of my favorites from his more "classic" collection (Bloodsport, Kickboxer, etc.), I give this one a lot of credit for creating an overall highly suspenseful experience, full of intense action/chase sequences, and with more of a story than many other action-oriented efforts in its class. The script by Larry Ferguson (writer of The Hunt for Red October and definitely one of the more respected people to pen a Van Damme movie) places storytelling over action setups and, in general, feels a bit smarter than the average Van Damme vehicle. There isn't any real mystery to the story, though: the revelation of Alain's brother and his affiliation with the Russian mafia is dealt with without too much buildup, and the story begins to revolve around Alain retreading his brother's unsuccessful steps to distance himself from the mob and escape from corrupt FBI agents. His relationship with his brother's old flame (Natasha Henstridge, Species) is interesting at first but is then more or less dropped into your lap. Nevertheless, the movie never loses a sense of suspense: Alain doesn't seem quite as empowered as other characters Van Damme was playing at the time, so it rarely seems impossible that he could be killed. Soundly-weighed production values by director Lam help set a good mood and the art direction is, at times, inspired.

The film features a pretty good cast, including Jean-Hugues Anglade (Betty Blue) as Alain's partner and David Hemblen (Exotica) in a limited role as the leader of the Russian mafia, but the unexpected dramatic moment of the picture belongs to Van Damme for a surprisingly adept instance of silent acting near the end of the movie wherein Alain listens to a recorded message by his late brother. Ringo Lam would continue to bring a little something extra out of Jean-Claude in the future, even directing him to his first-ever dramatic award nomination five years later, but "Maximum Risk" is probably the most palatable of all their collaborations for its all-around strengths and mainstream appeal.

Overall rating: 7 out of 10.
Maximum Bore.
Python Hyena5 November 2015
Maximum Risk (1996): Dir: Ringo Lam / Cast: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Natasha Henstridge, Jean Hugues Anglade, Zach Grenier, Paul Ben- Victor: Numbingly stupid action film about the depths a person will go to obtain information. Jean-Claude Van Damme plays twins for which one dies and the other searches for answers. He learns that his birth mother had to sell one of them in order to survive. He receives help from Natasha Henstridge and they are pursued by bad guys at every turn. Lousy setup with blam blam action to solve problems. Director Ringo Lam handles the action better than the screenwriter but either way neither one can create a Van Damme film that would be worth the time and effort. Van Damme plays two roles to prove that he can suck twice as bad. He even went so far as to direct The Quest the same year, which proves that two roles within one film, directing a film, and having two films out in distribution within one year is not improving his talent. Henstridge is here to remove her cloths and have sex, which is what she did the previous year in that stupid alien film, Species. She is beautiful but attention needs to go to talent as oppose to being a sex object. Supporting roles exist to be shot or bludgeoned with hard objects. Perhaps it is their punishment for agreeing to such a film. It seems that the filmmakers take a maximum risk in boring the audience. Score: 3 / 10
Ben Larson1 September 2013

You have great car chases through the streets of Nice and New York.

What more can you ask for?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's classic Van Damme 90's fun!
Comeuppance Reviews15 October 2011
Alain Moreau (Van Damme) is a French cop who just discovered he has a twin brother. His name was Mikhail Suverov and he worked for the Russian mob. To get to the truth about his life, he travels to New York City, specifically the Little Odessa area. While there he must fight gangsters, as well as double-dealing FBI agents. But just about everyone thinks he's Mikhail. Luckily his brother's girlfriend Alex (Henstridge) is along for the ride. Now Alain has to make it back to France in one piece, but not before causing some major Van Damage in the big apple! Maximum Risk is from the good old days when Van Damme movies went to the theater. Thus, it has a high-quality look and feel, and seems to have a decent budget behind it. It's nice to see the high production values used well by the great Ringo Lam, who would later team up with Van Damme again for Replicant and In Hell (2003).

It must be in Van Damme's contract to be in movies where he plays two roles. Most actors never get this chance, but Van Damme has. FIVE times. The movies being Double Impact (1991), Maximum Risk, Replicant (2001), Timecop (1994) and The Order (2001). Just why he feels there aren't enough Van Dammes currently on earth, outside of ego, has yet to be explained. To further emphasize his "double" life, here, in Maximum Risk, Van Damme seeing his reflection is a theme throughout the movie. Glasses, windows, picture frames, and of course mirrors are all employed for psychological purposes. But really this movie is an entertaining thriller that is palatable for general audiences. You don't have to be a Van Damme or martial arts freak to enjoy Maximum Risk.

Say what you will about him, but Van Damme has more emotion than Chuck Norris. Or Don "The Dragon" Wilson. Speaking of Wilson, just as his Bloodfist movies are all 80 minutes, it seems another contract demand of Van Damme is that his movies be at least 100 minutes. Maximum Risk is no exception, so naturally there's some filler, but not much. And a classic cliché is on display: the "wacky taxi driver" is on show once again, but at least this time he has a more substantial part to play than usual.

Following another JCVD rule, there has to be a scene where he gets nude or semi-nude. Why, we don't know. Here it's the time-honored bathhouse fight, also seen in such movies as Red Heat (1988) and Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991). But at least there's some Natasha Henstridge nudity as well to right the ship. Henstridge, in only her second-ever movie role (after Species, 1995), looks great, and it's sad to see her end up in Scott Wiper crud like A Better Way to Die (2000), but hey, you gotta make a living.

Maximum Risk is solid, undemanding entertainment seemingly made to make the careers of Van Damme and Ringo Lam go over well with larger audiences. Watching it today, it's classic 90's fun that's easy to like.

For more insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent fight scenes and action
Buffaloman9721 July 2010
Now i thought Steven Seagal had the best fight scenes in his movies but Jean Claude is way better!!!!.

This movie is very solid and entertaining and in my opinion Jean Claude's best movie. The fight scenes are very well done and the brutal bone snapping fights show what Van Damme can really do in a situation with stupid french punks. Maximum Risk is a very underrated movie like The Last Boyscout and deserves way more credit that what it gets nowadays and the fight in the elevator at the end when Van Damme kills the Russian guy by lodging a knife in his boot was ingenious and suspenseful. Overall Maximum Risk is a very entertaining action movie with great fights and i recommend you get the blu ray!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ringo Lam is a director for hire in this J.C.V.D. film.
Joseph P. Ulibas31 January 2005
Maximum Risk (1996) could have been a great film if it wasn't for post-production tampering and an unmotivated performance from Jean-Claude Van Damme. Ringo Lam was frustrated with this big budgeted production. Being his first Hollywood movie he didn't quite grasp the idea of focus groups and pre-screening movies. This dealt a blow to Mr. Lam and he didn't come back to the west for five more years. He made a quasi-remake of this film (with better results).

Jean-Claude Van Damme stars in two roles (but they don't share any screen time together). One brother (who was raised by a Russian family) is a shady individual who is killed during the opening of the film. His other brother learns about his twin's identity from his birth mother. The more he learns about his brother the more deeply involved he is with finding out who murdered him and why. During his travels he meets Natasha Henstridge and two feds who mistake him for his deceased brother. With the Russian Mob on his trail and two agents constantly bothering him what else kind of trouble will J.C.V.D. get into?

Who knows what the original cut of this film looked like. We'll never know. But the final product is nothing more than a J.C.V.D. starring vehicle with flashes of brilliance. A lot better than people give it credit for. A shame because it could have been better.

Midly recommended. Check out Replicant or In Hell. Ringo Lam and J.C.V.D. make a great team when the director is given more creative control.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
(Slightly) above average action flick
lozzamoore30 January 2004
The plot is reasonably engaging and complex for a Van Damme film, with some fast-moving action sequences.

I agree with previous post, that Van Damme's acting does seem better in this film, although he still would not win any oscars!

In the end, the climax is unfortunately uninspiring, predictable, and true to form of any other action film.

He is beginning to look old, but still has a great physique, which I am sure why the demographic votes for this film show it most popular with the over 45 ladies!! ;-)

If you are a Van Damme fan, this is worth a look.
A surprising quality departure from Van Damme's usual formula movie
enufwiththespam21 March 2003
I've been a Van Damme fan since Blood sport, but sadly most of his movies I find are *really* bad and steadily decline. (exceptions=Kickboxer, Lionheart - formula movies but good nonetheless). I'm not sure what the background of this movie is, but it has a much higher degree of production quality and suprisingly realistic feeling stunt and action sequences. The fight scenes are great, you can sense a sincerity in the punches and blows, and the stunts are Jackie Chan quality. My favorite stunt is when the antagonist hit man throws him through the window of a building and he is barely hanging on - very well done. Plus it boasts a European car chase scene that goes through the streets of South France. Its no Ronin, but it holds its own.

Unfortunately, the action sequences are interspersed with long slow dragging parts, but they at least create a serious tone that makes the movie feel more credible.

All in all, a surpising blip on the Van Damme radar that sets it apart from his usual formula junk.