Kazaam (1996) Poster

(1996)

Read my comment.
tokyostreetkiller21 May 2006
Shaquille O'Neal delivers an Oscar worthy performance in what might be the most powerful performance of the 90's. All around, it is brilliant. This is a gripping and amazing tale about a genie and his friendship with a lonely child. Acting is purely amazing and the story is beautifully played out like poetry in motion. Honestly, this film goes down as one of the all time greats. Top to bottom, this film is perfectly mastered. Every actor in this film comes through and nails the role perfectly. 11/10

Now, imagine the exact opposite of that. Got it? Okay, the truth is...the movie isn't even *that* good. Shaq, what were you thinking?
139 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie changed my life.
Hu-Flug-Dung3 November 2006
This movie really helped me find myself. Before I saw this movie, I wandered this streets crying often knowing my life had no purpose. Until one faithful day, I found myself in Chuckey Cheese on my usual drinking binge. When to my surprise, the robotic Chucky Cheese and gang started singing "Happy Birthday" which sounds exactly like "You're the Best" (a song from Karate Kid) after an eleven day drink binge. I saw a bright light, which many witnesses argue was a fire cause from the bad wiring in the Chucky Cheese band, pointing at the prize shelf. I took the remaining money I found on a passed out man outside the Chucky Cheese and went to play the Wack-A-Mole game that changed my life. I furiously pounded the moles while I was in the middle of the Chucky Cheese. The children screamed and cried as I fulfilled my destiny; if I could see those children again, I would hug them, for I would not have been able to win those two magical tickets. I went over to thank Chucky which soon after I blacked out, passing out on stage I woke up a few days later in my one room apartment with the tape super-glued to my face. In my excitement I quickly tore it from my skin and shoved it into my VCR. The next hour and thirty-six minutes (I got the special edition) of my life would be the happiest any man could ask for. I was so blown away by the amazing special effects that I was overcame and called an ambulance to pick me up after the movie ended. Shaq play a stunning and realistic role as a rapping Genie. I often found myself dancing in room to his tunes while my neighbor was yelling hurtful words and threats through the wall. After awhile though, I passed out on my floor. Awaking from another blackout, I caught glimpses of Shaq giving candy to all the children. I laughed, I cried. Could this movie be as brilliant as I realized. The ambulance pulled up and I told the paramedics to grab my belly; I was immediately tared. After a few weeks in intensive care, I returned to my house how I left it. Kazaam has given me a new out look on life and hopefully it will help shape your views.
63 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF, man?
xilasero3 September 2006
Dude. This movie was AWESOME. I loved when he dunked it. Alright, i'm drinking, but so what? So, apparently I have to fill 10 lines of text. That's terrible. Good thing I got half a bottle of wine left. So, yeah, Kazaam was amazing. Shaq was a genie. Who better to play the part? No one, that's who. Yizzeah. So, anyway, Max lives in Compton and is sick of getting shot at so he hires this basketball player to be his genie. Said basketball player is terrible at free-throws. Anyway, this guy is always..like..turning crap into something else and making some other crap fall from the sky. Then he (and the Miami Heat) beat the Washington Wizards 105-86 in the opening game of their Eastern-Conference-semifinals playoff series, but then he lost to Steve Nash in the MVP voting. So, the moral is, genies are better than wizards.
59 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 Stars? Come ON!!
barbifrsh7 June 2017
To any kid who grew up in the 90s this movie was excellent! I show it to my students now that I am a teacher and they love it still. It's a kids movie for goodness sake. The story is good, it is entertaining and funny so for a kids movie it's dang great! People giving this low ratings either didn't grow up in the 90s, had a really sucky childhood, or are just hating on the greatness that is Kazaam!
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel enlightened after watching this movie (in the good way, not the naked after a party way).
DrMongol5 September 2006
I remember watching this film as a semi-retarded adolescent and not enjoying it due to the vague underlying themes that flew over my head at such a young age. However, last week, passing this movie in the Blockbuster Mega-Discount bin, I decided to re-watch it and see if my opinion has changed.

(I tried to keep this review as spoiler free as possible, without losing some of the movie's flair. I feel I have succeeded) I must say, spending that 2.50$ plus tax was the greatest decision of my pitiful and shameful life. In the 5 days I have had the VHS, I have watched this film at least 15 times, I unfortunately lost track after blacking out naked on my carpet on the 2nd day. This movie goes down in history as one of the 5 greatest drama sequels of all time, and If I had to put a rating on it's comedy factor, I would give it 4 thumbs way up. I found myself laughing throughout the entire film, calling my friends and family to repeat jokes I had heard. The casting in this film is absolutely excellent, with Shaq leading the performance like a Frenchman in a yogurt factory. The story revolves around a genie named Shaq, and a small Italian boy named Max. Upon finding a magic stereo player, Max discovers a small black genie living inside, and offers to give him a place to sleep and eat for a week. Ironically, this is where the theme of pedophilia comes into play, with multiple scenes of Max and Shaq showering together and close up shots of them smiling. I hate to repeat myself, but as a child, I understood nothing about this subject. However, as a fleshy man, I see it in a new and blinding light.

There are several moments throughout the play where the development of the characters and storyline drag, but the rest of the film certainly make up for it. The end is griping, and keeps me on the edge of my seat every time I watch it. At the same time, I cry when the credits roll and long to see Shaq's black face one more time (of course, I will rewind the movie at this point and watch it over again).

On a final note, this movie is almost perfect in every aspect. This is the epitome of what a Hollywood blockbuster should be. The casting is amazing, the special effects are mind-blowingly realistic and stunning, the fully orchestrated soundtrack fits the mood perfectly and amplifies the experience. If I were to put a grade on this, I would have to give it a 9/10, losing a point because of the slight nudity (i'm not the biggest fan, but I won't say no!). But, this is not a movie to be rated, it is a movie to be bought, watched, and enjoyed. Do yourself a big favor and buy this movie, your taste buds will thank you.
70 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Teacher Review
sublimeak24 October 2018
I watched this movie with my class, and most of my students enjoyed it. Some even said it was a 10/10. Some of my students thought this was a remake of Aladdin. I thought this was an extremely underrated movie. Shaq did a good job acting, and there isn't another movie that is like it. Most of my students approved of this movie greatly. They liked the rapping!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shaq stars as a rapping genie.
nathan-moore18 July 2004
This is, by far, without a doubt, the best movie that has ever been produced on film. Shaq's awesomely realistic portrayal of a rapping genie is the best thing to be displayed on screen in decades, rivaling performances of Al Pacino, Kerry Grant, Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando, and all of the other great actors of our time. Now Shaquille O'Neal shall be added to that list. This uniquely told tale of a boy who finds a whimsical boom box wherein lies a magical genie is one hundred percent genius. This film came at a time when good writing and good casting was scarce in Hollywood; but this film renews hope in a new generation of audiences, and renews hope in a culture. >From the musical score to the costume design, this film is purely golden; the 'Citizen Kane' of a new generation.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please make it stop.
Melllvar29 January 2001
This is the worst film I have ever seen.I was watching this film with some friends and after 40 minutes we had enough. The plot was bad and there wasn't a single likeable character.I could get more entertainment watching static. I gave this movie a 1 only because the scale didn't go into negative numbers. Avoid this movie at all costs.
45 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shaq should stay OUT of music and acting!!!
Asteri-Atypical9 June 2003
What a pathetic movie.

I won't waste much time commenting about it. I'm still trying to get back the couple hours I wasted on it.

Let me leave it simply with - Shaq has NO BUSINESS being an actor or singer. He is utterly without talent at both discplines. It's a crying shame that substantially more talented people waste away in community theatres and karaoke bars while Shaq uses his name as a basketball player to undeservedly get cast in movies and cut CDs.

Much of the failure of this movie was the pathetic no-talent that is Shaq.
44 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nostalgia overload
BlueSkies7657 April 2019
The critics were way too rough on this one. I loved Kazaam as a kid and when I recently rewatched it I can see why.

A kids perspective is different from an adult. A kid got a lot of imagination and a good sense of fun. So while this movie is corny and silly from an adults perspective these were exactly the things I loved as a kid.

A giant rapping genie, a fun friendship, family, the struggle of a kid growing up in the city and a ridiculous music business villain. I had a blast watching this movie over and over again. 90s kids know the truth about Kazaam!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An astounding, ground-breaking movie
riftin-9973722 October 2016
This movie is very underrated, with betrayal, love, hardships, a gold script with 0 errors and an Oscar worthy performance from Shaq, this movie is very underrated. Had incredible special effects and blood effects, honestly this movie is unbeatable. Now my opponent is the type to stall to wait for the buzzer to go off so he doesn't have to explain anything and he is a liar and cannot be trusted and is not fit to be elected as president of North Korea. Mr. Trump what is your response to this? Well twitter bios I love them, LOVE them. And my bio? The best, UNbeatable. Unlike crooked Hillarys bio, full of lies, no truth, sad. Mrs. Clinton, what is your response to Trump? Saturday morning jumped out of bed And put on my best suit Got in my car and raced like a jet All the way to you Knocked on your door with heart in my hand To ask you a question 'Cause I know that you're an old-fashioned man, yeah

Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life? Say yes, say yes 'cause I need to know You say I'll never get your blessing 'til the day I die Tough luck, my friend, but the answer is 'No'

Why you gotta be so rude? Don't you know I'm human too? Why you gotta be so rude? I'm gonna marry her anyway

Marry that girl Marry her anyway Marry that girl Yeah, no matter what you say Marry that girl And we'll be a family Why you gotta be so Rude

I hate to do this, you leave no choice Can't live without her Love me or hate me we will be boys Standing at that altar Or we will run away To another galaxy, you know You know she's in love with me She will go anywhere I go

Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life? Say yes, say yes 'cause I need to know You say I'll never get your blessing 'til the day I die Tough luck, my friend, 'cause the answer's still 'No"

Marry that girl Marry her anyway Marry that girl No matter what you say Marry that girl And we'll be a family Why you gotta be so Rude Rude

Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life? Say yes, say yes 'cause I need to know You say, I'll never get your blessing 'til the day I die Tough luck, my friend, but 'No' still means 'No'!

Marry that girl Marry her anyway Marry that girl No matter what you say Marry that girl And we'll be a family Why you gotta be so Rude Why you gotta be so Rude Why you gotta be so rude?
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wowwwwwwww
boonplook12 June 2007
this has got to be the greatest film of all time. Shaq should have won an Oscar for his great acting. The musical score is the best i ever heard in modern cinema. I will be trying to find the DVD movie of this next weekend..i would gladly pay 99.00 bucks to own it on DVD. what i like even most about the film is the attention to detail..even the boombox..awesome..i want to own it. I only wish this movie was five hours long...or at least make at least five sequels..with shaq singing and rapping in all films..what an awesome movie. The wishes he makes in the film were the correct ones. It had a very emotional ending. I think about this movie every day. I believe half the audience in the theatre cried with emotion also. I have been meaning to comment on this film a long time ago..but was filled with too much emotion even to this day to come to grips in writing a review for such a gripping wonderful masterpiece in American cinema.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what the hell?
zabouke5 May 2001
This is one of the most god-awful movies ever. Shaq better just stick to basketball. This movie took away apart of my life I will never have back. I will make fun of this movie until I die, and then some. It is so horrible it is not even funny. MST3000 would have a blast with this one.
31 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once upon a time...
akalite_libra21 March 2008
For the life me, now that I'm 19 (almost 20) I have no idea why I watched it as much as I did. My dad actually laughed when I asked to get it. For one, it stars Shaquille O'Neal, which should have been a clue. At the time, I thought that was neat, and made me watch it more. I loved this movie while I was young. I use to pray for the genie, so I could make it rain candy. The most hilarious part, was it was an illegal copy, and at the bottom of the screen, it would scroll "This is an illegal copy. If you have bought this from a store, you have broken the law." Anyway, as I got older, I saw how stupid the story line is, and how bad the acting is. However, it was part of my childhood, and you can't ignore your childhood. Make fun of me all you want for once liking it, but remember, I was seven at the time.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who...dare... to rate ME?! (1 star?)
lindzeyhh23 June 2016
Twenty years later this movie is still a great movie!! I thought eh, what the heck... let's watch this cinematic adventure of Shaq as a genie after such a long time. It's true, EXTREMELY CORNY. But, isn't that what 90s nostalgia is all about? The junkfood scene, the Shaq in the "magical" shower scene...and of course... the coveted cassette... the WE GENIE rap. Ahhh...brings me back to a time of fruit by the foot, frotopia drinks and N64. If you're looking for a spectacular plot, a moving speech, tears.... you may want to look elsewhere. HOWEVER. If you are wanting a brief adventure back to 96' with a little chuckle here and there, enjoy KAZAAM! I am forcing my kids to watch this movie repeatedly until they admit it really is an awesome movie....
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People who hate on this must just hate life :D
benjamin-bywater14 July 2010
Quite simply I want to say that this shouldn't be in the bottom 100 movies as voted by the users of IMDb. It is a great heart warming movie, perfect for the whole family. There are many many many other movies out there so much worse than this movie. It made me laugh and that's exactly what a good comedy should do.

This movie was hilarious! A rapping genie who knows kung fu and lives in a boom box played by none other than Shaquille O'Neal, what more could you want in a comedy?! I mean sure some of it was cringe worthy and it's not exactly Oscar material, but overall it was a great laugh. Anyone who wants to dis this movie needs to lighten up a little. Shaq has the greatest sense of humor!
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
best movie
geo20023 February 2007
I need to so some research in order to find out what film topped this on the Oscar list, but regardless a tragedy has occurred. Most likely the best performance of Shaq's career, this film changed the way I looked at life. You cannot give up on your dreams. Especially if you have a giant African-American wizard at your side. If I had to describe this movie in one word it would be "revolutionary". The character that portrayed Max will surely go on to bigger and better things unless he decides directing is a better career move. I think the greatest compliment this movie could be given is that it is the Aladdin of live action movies without as good of script.

thanks, George
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once again, I was misled by others' negative revues...
edhuds0n16 February 2003
Based on the opinions of some (not all) of the other reviewers, I expected this movie to be horrible. I was quite pleasantly surprised that -- while Shaq will probably never win a Golden Globe award -- it was a very entertaining and heart-warming story.

Unlike some others, I had no trouble watching it to the end, and I was not sorry that I had allocated that portion of my lifespan to viewing it.

In short, the movie was about a 5,000-year-old genie stuck in a boom box who befriends the lonely 12-year-old boy who finds him and whose only (real) wish is for his parents to get back together.

If you take it for the light-hearted comedy for which it was intended and not expect "classic cinema", then IMO, it is well worth a look.

I give it 6 out of 10.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is crunchy. That's a good thing.
thorgnash12 February 2007
This movie is classic. You need to see it. Max makes all the wishes you would make if you didn't believe that shack could be a genie. Anyway it has great one liners and shack is great in it. Max also grows up to be Warehouse Hood Leader in crank. Max also asks for like 15 wishes that shack cannot grant. He can give him junk food to the ceiling though. I'm not allowed to spell shack the traditional way it is spelled. wait I'm not allowed to put spiteful remarks? remember when shack did that caramel crunch commercial? it is pretty much an hour and a half of that. that still means that I really like it. well all and all it was a great movie that I saw right when it went straight to video. shaq is really tall and i look foreword to still owning this DVD. Hey I can say Shaq! I'm i mean h'm going to tell everyone!
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great family movie, deserved of criticle acclaim!
taroche25 February 2010
**** y'all haters, i put a lot into this performance and i was massively pleased with the outcome. I wish they had Max as a black kid just to make it seem more true to life but otherwise this was a great movie! Filming it was fun and when i showed it to my cousins they thought it was great, considering how much effort went into the production of this film and having you film 'connoisseurs' hating on it. You can all suck my fat one. For all of you out there who appreciated this film and voted 7 or above out of 10 for i want to thank you.

Shaq out!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves more credit.
rdoubleoc3 May 2020
The movie and plot is dumb, but the concept is a fun idea (who doesn't like genies?). It could have been a much more entertaining movie, however.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
KAZAAM *1/2 OF ****
ChoneFiggins23 April 2004
Shaquille O' Neal plays a rapping genie helping a kid(his name....who cares) to re-unite with his work~a~holic father. OK, this movie is deeply flawed, mild in entertainment, but with all of these rappers and basketball stars (Omarion in "You Got Served, Darius Miles in "The Perfect Score) in movies playing rappers and basketball stars, at least Shaq attempts to be a genie,and TRIES to stretch his acting ability by being something he's not. Besides that, the kid's wishes are implausible, seeing as candy bars and burgers rain (through a roof somehow) and come down perfect in order and unsmushed. I can't see which audience this is targeting. Kids won't be awed and 12+ will be laughing for all of the wrong reasons.

VERDICT: *1/2 of **** Not Recommended
19 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
yo gangsta kid meets gangsta genie, with gangsta results!!!
canadian_daryl21 December 2006
Possibly the best movie ever made this is the gangsta version of Aladdin. No blue genie trash! This is gangsta all the way!!! I watched it and I was like yo this is seriously gangsta. Yo ya gotta catch this move, Shaq is the best actor/actress ever or at least the most gangsta!!! The boom box scene freaked me out and is not suitable for younger audiences. Yo but this man, this was g...g...a...ngsta. I Love You Shaq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U my main bro see ya in the hood. Whoever disses this movie is an un-gangster weirdo who I assume smells funky. Yo me and my sizzles were like yo this movie gansta. I was like I gotta write to Shaq make a sequel bro!!! I call it Kabaam, or Jumanji I haven't decided either one is gansta. I also came up with a really gansta rap: Yo Yo Yo im a gangster, My name Kazaam, Shazaam, Babaam yo yo yo gansta.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At least Shaq has rapping to fall back on...
iamnessie23 December 2006
i was given the book version of Kazaam for my 8th birthday, and people always say the book versions are always better than the movie, but this time they were wrong. At least with the movie it's over soon.

The acting in this is terrible, which i expected from a film with Shaq who plays a magical rapping genie that comes out of an old ghetto blaster (which there was probably a good reason he was trapped in there). The kid in the film that plays Max is whiny and a terrible actor. He's bullied by neighborhood kids, which i don't blame them because he's a little douche bag.

The story is just plain stupid and extremely cliché. About a boy who's father is always working and never around who finds a new friend who makes his life better and eventually helps him reconnect with his father.

Even at 8 years old i thought this was a stupid idea. It's a surprise any of the people whom worked on this film had careers after wards because it's an embarrassment and should have never been made. i could ramble on even more about how this movie sucks, but you should already know just by reading the plot.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Enjoyable
lilqtpersian15 May 2008
OK, i'll admit that this movie is defiantly not going to be the idealistic fun, thrilling, and adventurous movie that adults these days like to see, but it is absolutely wonderful for children. It is a great family movie to watch. I loved this movie when i was young and i would still watch it today if i saw it on T.V. I love the plot, the humors and the actors in this movie. It is very entertaining for young kids and will keep them interested in the t.v. screen. I recommend watching this movie with your kids for a great family bonding time. It is cute and meaningful and might teach your children a thing or two. If your children are 10 or younger, they will definitely like it.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.