Jack Frost (Video 1997) Poster

(1997 Video)

Creative Frost
Semih3 July 2000
Surprisingly good. The acting was fun, the screenplay was fun, the music was cheesie fun, the plot was stupendously fun. This was a fun movie to watch and to give your brain some rest. Parts of the plot and quotes I found to be very creative. 7 out of 10. Actually for what it was, it would deserve a 10 out of 10. You are not supposed to compare this to an arthouse film or to a bloody slasher film.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's SUPPOSED to be bad!
Wizard-88 December 1998
I'm glad that users (as of this date) who liked this movie are now coming forward. I don't understand the people who didn't like this movie - it seems like they were expecting a serious (?!?!?) treatment! C'mon, how the hell can you take the premise of a killer snowman seriously? The filmmakers knew this was a silly premise, and they didn't try to deny it. The straight-faced delivery of scenes actually makes it FUNNY! Yes, there are times where the low budget shows (such as that explosion scene), but I think an expensive look would have taken away from the fun of the movie! So if you like B-movies, and the goofy premise appeals to you, then you'll certainly like "Jack Frost".
30 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Gosh. I only axed you for a smoke!"
4-Kane31 December 2002
Don't confuse this flick with the 1998 Michael Keaton film of the same name. This particular Jack Frost movie IS NOT for children, but it sure is hilarious.

One of my favorite scenes is where Jack Frost requests a smoke from a guy, then kills the guy with an axe, and says: "Gosh. I only axed you for a smoke." That line never fails to crack me up.

If you're looking for a good B-movie to watch, this is a good choice. But remember, to use Jack Frost's own words, it ain't f**king Frosty!
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
twisted in the most wonderful way
clearsky471 August 2000
This is one of the funniest movies that I have seen this year. The people that made it must be so incredibly whacked and twisted. It is a beautiful thing. There were a lot of quality one-liners. This movie blew Uncle Sam out of the water (it was made by tha same people, i think)
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Killer Snowman + Killian = Happy
DownWithCapitalism19 June 2005
Easily the greatest low budget horror film of all time. I first saw this movie when I was around nine years of age, and I have to say that it scared the hell out of me. Now that I'm all growed up, however, I see this movie for what it really is... a work of genius. Everyone, or at least everyone with any taste, has dreamed of seeing a snowman going around killing people, even if they won't admit it. I have always found something genuinely frightening about snowmen, so naturally, for a horror junkie such as myself, thismovie was a dream come true. Some people say that this movie is silly, or otherwise void of any intelligence... it's a movie about a serial killer snowman, what the hell did you expect? Anyone who gave this film a low score is obviously too uptight to sit back and have a good laugh at stupid one-liners and cheap gore. I love this movie for what it is, a comedy, and until the movie industry wises up and makes a serious horror flick about a killer snowman (which seems impossible, unfortunately) I will forever hold this great piece of indie horror close to my heart.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good B Horror Flick
pulpnicktion26 March 2008
Jack Frost is about a serial killer who is sentenced to death. On the Way to his death sentence the prison truck that he rides in collides with a chemical tanker filled with a chemical that turns his molecules with the snow on the ground turning him into a snowman. Being a killer himself that would turn him into a killer snowman. Jack now wants revenge on the sheriff who caught him. Jack now starts his rampage all over again killing people in a small town.

I don't think Jack Frost has a chance of becoming a horror classic but its a entertaining flick. Just put your brain on hold and have fun with it, but just don't take it too seriously.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More enjoyable than many current "A-movies"....
innocuous24 April 2006
Note that I did not say that it is better...just more enjoyable. The lack of social commentary and realism helps keep things moving.

I was actually sort of surprised that this was not a Troma movie, as it has all the Troma trademarks, including spewing acidic liquids, wisecracks from the villain after every murder, a ridiculous bathtub rape scene (which is sort of hard to get upset about, since the rapist is a snowman), and dumb deputies.

There's a lot to love:

1. A snowman, about whom it is remarked that he has no legs or feet, drives a police cruiser around town.

2. Even though it is supposed to be close to (or below) freezing, nobody's breath shows and there are no signs of car exhaust when cars are running.

3. The snow reminds you more of flocking or Styrofoam peanuts than actual snow.

4. A teenage girl gets the hots for her boyfriend just a few hours after her brother is gruesomely murdered. She talks him into breaking into the sheriff's house, of all places, in order to get it on. But first, she tells him that he has to build a nice fire in the fireplace and open some wine.

5. After teen-aged Jake's head is cut off by a sled runner, his father argues with the sheriff about whether Tommy, the sheriff's son, had anything to do with it. The sheriff maintains that Tommy wouldn't have been fighting with Jake because Jake "is at least two feet taller than Tommy." At that moment, someone in the background chimes in, "Not anymore!"

6. When the evil snowman finally starts to melt away, the sheriff wrestles with a flat snowman made out of some sort of fabric for an extended period. This is much better than Tarzan wrestling with rubber crocodiles or gladiators wrestling with stuffed lions. If I were an actor, I would not have been able to keep a straight face at this point.

All in all, a fun film. There's not really even that much blood.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and Funny B-Movie
Rautus30 May 2007
I saw Jack Frost for £4:00 at my local store and I thought it looks pretty good for a low budget movie so I bought it and I was right it was good. For starters this film is about a killer snowman so that's something to laugh about and the way it looks was funny compared to the Snowman on the cover.

The acting was okay and the lines Jack Frost said had me laughing "I only axed you for a smoke" and "Worlds most pi**ed off snow cone" how funny and camp is that? The tale at the start was pretty funny and silly too "Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack gouged eyes with candle sticks". If you're looking for a for a B-Movie Comedy horror that's full of puns then check Jack Frost out. 10/10
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very B-Grade But Entertaining
woddypod30 December 2000
Well what can I say, there are B-Grade Movies and there are B-Grade Movies and this definitely falls into the latter. However since it's obvious that even the makers of the film know that it's not a credible movie (take a look at the closing credits) it can be forgiven.

The plot is basically a convicted psycho killer is killed. He accidentally has his genetic material mixed up with some experimental acid that get combined and then lost in the snow. The killer now takes on the form of a snowman - if you can believe that. The snowman, Jack Frost, is after the country town Sherif who put him behind bars. In doing so, Jack Frost ends up killing half the town.

This movie lacks any real scares and the effects alone remind me of the B-Grade movies of the 50's. This alone makes it worth watching for a laugh. A movie to pass the time away.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most entertaining B movies ever
KHayes66631 March 2005
Being the guru of bad horror movies, you wouldn't expect to see one that you would go on to enjoy more than some critically good horror movies. That's right, this movie is more fun to watch than Scream or The Grudge.

Jack Frost, the character is out and out hilarious. The one-liners and the kills had me roaring all movie long and the supporting cast was also pretty funny to watch.

The highlight of the movie is obviously Shannon Elizabeth getting raped in the shower by the horny snowman. How do you come up with shyt like this?

The kills, the one liners, the actors...everything clicked and for once, a low budget B movie was actually decent for once. I would definitely tell anyone who thought about renting this to rent it as soon as possible.

The only reason it isn't a 10 out of 10 is that we didn't get to see any nudity.

Christmas came a little early this year 8 out of 10
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Michael Keaton - Eat your heart out!
Gislef30 December 1998
Some folks don't get it. This is _supposed_ to be a parody, albeit one made on a low budget. The producers don't take themselves too seriously, and the end result is something a lot funnier than the over-blown Michael Keaton '98 version. Every aspect of a killer snowman is explored as the antagonist shoots icicles, decapitates a kid with a sled, has sex with a woman using his carrot nose, kills a victim by turning her into a Xmas tree, and displaying the same indestructible aspects as a Terminator. Other amusing moments to watch for are: the opening narration (done by a Malcolm McDowell wanna-be), the horny teenagers breaking _into_ the sheriff's house to have sex (??) and the cast's refusal to speak any obscenity: lots of "Hecks" and "Darns" are inserted at the most inappropriate times. This is a great movie to kill 1-1/2 hours with if you can pick up the tape at bargain rates or catch it on cable.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Frost bite takes on a whole new meaning
lordzedd-314 October 2006
Okay, here's what I think about Jack Frost. I looked at the morphing box for the VHS tape and I thought to myself, this looks interesting. I rent it and I take it home. Boy was I right, it is interesting. They put serial killer's spirits in dreams, in walking corpses and inside every day machines. But this has got to be the most unique place to put the spirit of a serial killer. Inside the body of a snowman. I liked all the friendly snowman images littering the landscape, the pot holder, the snow globe, etc. I like the actor who played Jack, he put some fun into a killer really not seen since FREDDY KRUGGER. That's right, I said it. FREDDY KRUGGER. It's that level of "cool". I wish some of the puppet effects were better, the mouth movements could have matched better. But I chalk that up to a small budget. The cast does a great job, there are some great one liners and scares to make any hardcore horror fan jump. All and all, a great story, good effects, great dialog and a great cast. I give JACK FROST...9 STARS
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as you might think.
OrangieTooDope15 January 2019
You know you're in for a special movie when it starts with an adult(possibly a man) voicing a little girl that we never even see. This movie has lots of moments that don't make any sense but what do you expect from a movie about a killer snowman? The sheriff has the same floor tile in his bathroom as I do, lol.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Camp Classic That Might Have Had A Better Reputation If Released in the 1980s
Theo Robertson16 September 2013
An average rating of 4.4 on the IMDb usually means that you're going to be watching slightly less than mediocre fare , especially if it's a horror movie that went straight to video but this is entertainment of the lowest order . It might be a good film but it's like classic clip from Fox News where Sean Hannity criticises Christopher Hitchens for being " incredibly mean and incredibly thoughtless " and that's a good enough reason to love both Christopher Hitchens and JACK FROST

Any film that has a serial killer being regenerated as a snowman deserves some credit for that bonkers premise alone and the film does make the best of this premise and what makes it even more outstanding is that it is incredibly mean spirited . Take a scene where a teenage bully gets his head bitten of and the parents of the deceased bully and his victim get in to an argument and the victims father states that " Your son is a couple of feet higher than mine " only for an onlooker to blurt out " Not any more he ain't " . Who needs William Goldman when you've got killer one lines like that ?

This scathing dialog - much of it spouted by the eponymous monster - reminded me of the wise cracking villains we had in 1980s horror films like Freddy Kruger or Channard Cenobite from HELLRAISER 2 . Indeed I constantly found myself having to the check the IMDb hadn't done a major error in giving the year of its release as 1997 because the whole look and feel of the movie screamed 1980s to me . A lot of this might have been down to the slightly murky and grainy cinematography but even so the whole fabric screams that it's a film from ten years earlier something of a golden age for the horror genre . In fact if it had come out ten years earlier then this would have been a film held in much higher regard which it does deserve . Highly enjoyable low grade entertainment that did raise a few chuckles
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Corny, Cute & Comical
Rainey-Dawn11 September 2017
Well, if one likes comedy and horror mixed with a holiday theme then this is a cute film to watch for the season. It's comical, corny but a cute film to watch - and yes it's horror so expect blood.

I've seen this one before, glad I decided to watch it again... it brought a smile to my face and puts me in the mood for the upcoming Holiday Seasons ahead.

Not a film that would win awards but can win hearts and smiles... that is what counts I guess. Just something about Jack Frost as a literal villain is quite funny!! 8/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't you go where Mr. Jack Frost goes...don't you eat his yellow snow.
Monica49375 June 2005
Alrighty...I've read on here lots of bad reviews about this film...and very few (rare) good reviews. Mine...is neutral. While I have to agree on how just overall "bad" this film was...I can't say that I DIDN'T enjoy it. It's really hard to diss a film that doesn't take itself seriously. I don't think Michael Cooney set out to make a brilliant, blockbuster slasher that stars A+ actors and has the best gore effects (or snowman effects) ever...although I can't say they were bad either. Jack Frost is just a brainless, fun film that doesn't require much from the viewer. It offers inventive ways of killing someone, as well as comedic one liners (mainly from Jack Frost). If you're looking for a harmless, think-free film with cool death scenes then this is a good film to watch. If you're looking for the next Texas Chainsaw Massacre then you're dreamin big dreams with this one. *wink* 5/10
A fun B grade horror with Shannon Elizabeth
Baldach8 October 2002
Yes this a B- grade horror. But at least the producers, directors, and cast does not pretend this flick is manna from heaven. The plot is corny, a psychotic serial killer on his way to execution is splashed with genetic acid turning him into a snow man. The snowman a.k.a. Jack Frost then goes on a murdering rampage to find the small town sheriff that finally arrested him. With a limited budget the crew had to make do with limited special effects, most of the money appears to spent on the snowman's costume. Particullary difficult shots are managed by cartoons or pan away shots (shots where the camera moves away to disguise the details).

This is no kid's movie and should not be confused with Disney movie of the same title. If you do not let your children watch pg-13 movies alone than parents should not let their kids watch this movie. This movie has two claims to fame. 1. The beatiful Shannon Elizabeth (American Pie)did her first major movie role. The scene where Jack Frost attacks Shannon Elizabeth is worth watching a few times. 2. This movie has the worst snowman joke ever. The joke is so bad that the directors credit the joke teller in the credit list.
A cult classic...
jack-frost4 May 2001
!!!!!!!POSSIBLE SPOILER !!!!!!!

Well, I can't really explain what I've just done: I gave a 10/10, the mark I've given to masterpieces like HALLOWEEN or EVIL DEAD 2, to this silly little movie. Why? Maybe because it's one of the craziest roller coaster rides I've ever seen. This low-budget film has very basic plot and characters but communicates such an energy that finally, you forget those defaults to focus on the qualities.

However, at first glance, the movie seemed bound to become a new NIGHTMARE clone among thousands of others unattractive, boring direct to video stuffs : imagine a killer snowman with the carrot and stones standing for the nose and eyes, murdering people while uttering all sorts of silly puns. Sounds quite ridiculous, isn't it ?

But surprisingly, everything works wonderfully. This movie possesses lots of assets : its outrageous sense of humour , the absurdity of the situations in comparison to the seriousness of the characters or the imagination put in the murders (as originality's far from being the main characteristic of today's horror films).

The strength of Michael Cooney is to always believe in the story he's filming and, therefore, never falling into another parody of the genre. This really emphasises the impact of the craziest scenes such as the sheriff and a bunch of other citizens trying to get rid of the mutant snowman with hair-driers, making them deliciously hilarious but never ridiculous.

In addition to this, the character of Jack Frost is quite an UFO in modern days horror bestiary as not only being Freddy Krueger's most serious opponent for the title of the king of the killing pun, he's also totally over-sexed ( especially in this incredible scene where he gives us his very own interpretation of the expression « sticking one's nose into the others' business »).

JACK FROST is a hilarious movie, great!!!, but what about gore and scares??? NO PROBLEM BUDDIES!, in spite of its funny moments, the film remains a real, gory shocker. The murders are very graphics and originals : the snowman makes someone swallow the handle of an axe ( which is obviously the best medicine for a frog in the throat, Jack should join the staff of E.R to replace Clooney), pins a boy on a wall with an ice spear that gets out of his arm (which is stronger than the ice rose offered by Ice-man in X-MEN), or chop an FBI agent's head with his sharpened ice fangs. All this, accompanied by a good old rock that shakes you every time a carnage is going on.YEAAH!!!

Without being THE movie that will freeze the hell out of you, JACK FROST is definitely worth viewing. Don't miss it, THE POWER OF THE KILLER SNOWMAN COMPELS YOU ! and you will have such a good time watching it that you might add a new name to your cult classics list.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Killer Snowman!!! What an awesome and funny idea.
Dr.Jolly13 July 1999
Before I comment about this movie, you should realize that when I saw this movie, I expected the typical crap, horror, B-movie and just wanted to have fun. Jack Frost is one that not only delivers but is actually one of the best that I've seen in a long time. Scott McDonald is great as Jack Frost, in fact I think he has a future in being psychopaths in big time movies if ever given the chance. McDonald is a serial killer who becomes a snowman through some stupid accidental mix of ridiculous elements. As soon as that snowman starts moving around and killing people, though, you will find it hard not to laugh. The lines that are said are completely retarded but really funny. The fact that the rest of the cast completely over-acts just adds to stupidity of the film, but it's stupidity is it's genius. The scene where the snowman is with the teenage girl is truly classic in B-movie, horror film fashion. I truly hope there is a sequel and I'll be right there to watch it on whatever cable channel does it. Of course it's only fun to watch the first few times and it's not exactly a good work of motion picture technology, but I just like to see snowmen kill people. I gave it a 7 out of 10, this is a great movie for dates and couples in the late hours.
WHAT A MOVIE!
BDP-NRG9 March 2000
This film is great, so don't think for a second that this wouldn't put steam in your stride cause it will. It will get you smiling more than the Joker did in 'Batman'. Jack frost... well I don't really remember why he is a snowman but its beautiful. Rent this movie and you'll never be sorry. Of course the funniest part of the movie is the sex scene. When ol' sain't jack is banging some bit of crumpet with his carrot nose, kills her in the process and says:'looks like christmas came a little early this year' unfortunately it looks as the producers missed a trick when 'The Ice man cometh' would have been funnier still. Later in the scene having a post-sex smoke. See it as well as AIRBORNE, what another great movie, Steve Guttenberg does Bruce Willis. Love that Joker!
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad it's good? Er, not really...
Leofwine_draca26 October 2015
JACK FROST is a so-bad-it's-bad straight-to-video comedy horror flick about a killer snowman. You really don't need to know any more about it than that, because this is very much a straightforward Z-grade B-movie with lots of goofy humour and even goofier deaths. You need to be in the mood for some serious cheese in order to be able to sit through this.

I won't bother going into the machinations of the convoluted plotting, only to say that the story involves the spirit of a dead serial killer that ends up inhabiting an inanimate object, similar to the story lines of THE GINGERDEAD MAN or CHILD's PLAY. What JACK FROST amounts to is a bunch of ludicrous gory deaths committed at the hands of a cheesy giant snowman complete with Freddy Krueger-style wisecracks and lots of overacting on the part of the victims.

The production values are rock bottom, but I'm used to that; it's the dumb, lowbrow nature of the script which is so repellent. If they'd at least tried to make this witty and/or engaging then it might have had cult success; as it stands, it's a real chore to sit through. Watch out for a youthful Shannon Elizabeth (AMERICAN PIE) in one of her first screen appearances.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good.
shannon1fan28 June 2001
I loved this movie. I rented this becuase I was wanted something to watch. When it was over I loved it! I know lots of people didn't like it because it is a so-called "B-Movie". I didn't care! It has a killer snowman! Come on! Its a movie about a killer snowman, and everyone complains about low budget! It has a story. Unlike some movies where they spend all their money on specail effects, and there is no story. Like for instance Godzilla 1998. This movie was of course just a man in a cotten suit. Who cares? whenever he kills you always see his hands or face. Who cares? Anyway Jack Frost, a killer is on his way to be gassed or injected or something. Heading toward the prison truck is a chemical truck. They of course crash together. It spills chemical on Jack Frost, and turns him into a mutant killer snowman. A sheirff named Sam, was the one who put him to death. Jack Frost goes after him killing people that get in hs way and just for the Hell of it. Jack Frost has the ability to melt himself and reshape again at will. Yes I do admit it is fake. But hey, maybe they didn't have a lot of money to spend on it. This movie also has a rock and roll version of "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies". Just do yourself a favor and rent it.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost laughable 'Frost'
Michael_Pilkington3 May 1999
"Jack Frost" is a phony horror flick with nothing to offer, except the accidental discovery of doing away with the evil snowman. That's about the only funny part in the movie, otherwise, it's just a plain sleeping pill of a horror movie. This trash had put me to sleep and every time I wake up, this sh-- is still on. My evaluation: (no stars).
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
colinqm3 January 2007
All you stuck up haters of this film need to calm down and love it for what it is!

A ridiculous, exploitive, low-budget, B-horror movie that is entertaining to say the least.

Shannon Elizabeth getting raped by a mutant killer snowman whose carrot nose doubles as male reproductive organ is pure genius!

This movie is highly original and fun to watch.

It may never win any awards, or gain any honorable recognition, but for all you B-horror movie fans out there, go buy this movie.

3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My holiday favorite!
whammy66612 June 2005
I watch this movie every Christmas, it is one of my favorite movies. I think this flick is funny as heck, lots of funny kills, and hokey special effects. This movie has the worst looking snow you will ever see. It is great. It is a very original film, no other film like it. It is fairly similar to SLEEPSTALKER: THE SANDMAN'S LAST RITES, but that is about it. THe acting is not the best nor is it supposed to be. Just cheesy fun! Don't watch this movie and expect a straight horror film though, expect a funny, cheesy, over-the-top horror/comedy. And remember...this movie is from the writer of IDENTITY! Crazy! Guy is a genius for this movie, Jack Frost 2, AND Identity. This is a must see, rent it ASAP if you like cheesy horror with some funny kills and OKAY gore!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.