Children of the Corn: The Gathering (Video 1996) Poster

The best of the sequels
bdobson3 September 2001
Deciding that there should be a comment here that explains slightly more if a movie "sucks" or not, which is not much of an opinion. While none of these films with the exception of the first film are masterful, this is the best of the sequels. It has more of a supernatural element than some of the others but still manages to keep things moving and even a little suspenseful. This fourth installment also has a very high rating on the gore scale as well with some rather gruesome killings. If you have not yet seen this one but have others in the series it is worth the time. However, all said, it is for hard core genre fans only.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perhaps the best in the series
omp918 May 2015
The previous three Children of the Corn movie has all been theatrical releases, Children of the Corn: The Gathering is straight to video release, so you would think that this movie has a crappy production, so wrong! This movie is the best looking CotC movie ever made. Good camera-work, good editing, good directing, good sound design, good blood/gore, great casting. No doubt that this movie has good filmmakers behind the camera. Getting Naomi Watts starring was a great deal, I know this was before she became a Hollywood star, but she has a very charming and likable character and it fits her perfectly. Not only Naomi Watts, but the whole cast is great, and that's nothing usual in a CotC movie. Storywise is The Gathering a little different, it is like crossing a virus film with Children of the Corn, it kind of works i guess, some might not like it, I can see that. The Gathering has also a more serious tone and is much darker than previous movies. The Gathering is a different kind of CotC movie, but almost all of them are different, that's one of the things i like best about this series, unlike Friday the 13th where every movie is exactly the same, you know what they say, Children of the Corn movies is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great installment to the Children of the Corn series!
bluefrog-531 August 2006
This is a very well done film indeed. It is very scary, and the plot is well done. It does differ in some ways from the first three films though. Unlike the first three there is not just one child leading them all. Most people don't realize this but "He Who Walks Behind The Rows" is actually one of the main characters in the film. It was revealed by director Greg Spence that a crucial deleted scene features two characters telling Naomi Watts that the children called Jociah by another name: "He Who Walks Behind The Rows". Once you realize this the film is more enjoyable to watch if you are a fan of the original Children of the corn movie.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
shocked
curlygirl200126 March 2003
I dunno why i decided to rent this movie considering how 2 and 3 weren't all that great, but i saw a preivew for it a long time ago and it seemed a little creepy so i figured i'd give it a shot. I was really shocked how good it turned out to be. It didn't really have a thing to do with the other children of the corns other then the fact that the kids were evil. Children of the Corn IV probably could have been its own movie insted of a sequel. Well anyways i really liked it. It had a good story line and was pretty creepy. ****/*****
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than 3
LukeNickels881 October 2012
When children in a town mysteriously get high fevers...blah blah Naomi Watts is in this and shes hot. The film is a big improvement over COTC III: Urban Harvest or as I like to call Children of the Corn III: Trying to be Hip.

This film is pretty creepy and I always remember seeing the previews for it when I was a child before Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers which is an awful in & out. It's one of the few COTC films that I remember renting in video stores along with COTC II. I developed a crush on Naomi Watts and wanted to see her in more things and later on she became the Scream Queen for Classy Horror films I never understood why all 90's films have the same sideways camera angle but hopefully I'm not the only one who has noticed this.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Naomi Watts and Karen Black are reason enough to see it
drownnnsoda4 August 2006
"Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering" is the fourth installment in the "Children of the Corn" series, and was surprisingly a decent sequel. After the horrible monster effects in Part III's finale (which almost completely ruined the movie for me) I was hoping "The Gathering" would head in a new direction, which it did. This sequel concerns a small town in the midwest. Naomi Watts plays Grace, a medical student who returns to care for her mother, and in turn, her young siblings, who begin to display a strange illness manifesting in all the town's children. Turns out that the cult of children are back, trying to recruit more young'ns (after killing their parents) into their organization for "he who walks behind the rows".

No doubt, one of the most memorable things about this film is Naomi Watts' performance, who showed chops even her in her first lead role. I'm sure most people who see this will recognize her from the hit Japanese remake "The Ring."

Even still, "Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering" is one of the standout films of the series for a variety of other reasons. It is well-shot, for one; while it is a direct-to-video picture, it surprisingly doesn't really look like one. There is an unnerving sleepiness to the film that plays off of the bucolic midwestern set pieces, and some phenomenally creepy sequences featuring Karen Black as Watts' agoraphobic mother. The film makes ample use of its dusty farmhouses and the sinister images of children lurking across the road.

Granted, the film does show its B-movie teeth in some of the murder sequences, which are far- fetched and at times absurd, but the splatter factor here is strong and the gore effects are rather convincing overall. Another obvious but vital element to this film working as well is it does is the strength of the performances. Watts, again, is great in her first lead here, and Karen Black is phenomenal as she always is— the role leaves her plenty of room to act out the eccentricities she does so well. Even the performances from the children are above-average for a film like this.

Overall, if you're a fan of the series, this is one of the better (and perhaps maybe the best) sequel. It's a "Children of the Corn" sequel, so obviously it is not a flawless film, but it is well-shot and there are a handful of genuinely effective moments to be had, and the film paces itself well without devolving into schlock. Enjoy your straight-to-video splat with a side of Watts and Karen Black— how can you go wrong? 7/10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Naomi Watts Brings Life to a Pathetic STV
lola54128 July 2003
This film is religated to a special genre, what I like to call STV (an abbreviation of Straight-to-Video release). An attempt at a cheap thrill, these films are usually more laughable than scary. But the Children of the Corn franchise is probably the most interesting of this genre.

I remember renting this particular installment of Children of the Corn at the fresh young age of 14 for a slumber party with some friends. We had all seen COTC 1, 2, 3, so what the heck, why not check out 4? There was nothing particularly different about the plot: again, the children of a midwestern town all mysteriously turn evil, killing their parents in interesting, grotesque ways. There were the same laughable moments in which writers contrive clever new ways for a child to kill an adult and the same lame horror film dialogue. It was all the same. Except one thing.

The performance of the lead heroine was stunning! Not your typical STV calibar performance, but instead, WOW--complex, understated, and intense, I was very impressed with the no-name lead actress.

Fast forward to seven years later, in which I am reading an interview with my favorite new actress, Naomi Watts and she mentions, "I was in Children of the Corn IV" and ohmygosh, the planets have aligned, it all makes sense! This stellar actress was giving stellar performances long before she was cast into stellar movies.

So the short of it, if you are at all a fan of Naomi Watts, this is not a bad one to get a glimpse of her pre-Mulholland Dr. work. Yeah, it's campy and lame and gratuitously violent, but with Naomi, it's not so bad.

Rating: 4 out of 10 (on the whole), Naomi's Performance: 7 out of 10
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good sequel
JimSthers14 December 2001
I find this to be the second best of the series(my fave is part 5), this one has suspense, gory deaths, is well acted, and it has Karen Black, one of my fave actresses of all time. It also has a large body count and enough graphic violence to satisfy gore hounds.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new perspective on The Children of the Corn
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews14 December 2003
This is pretty different from the first two(and possibly the third, haven't seen that yet), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I liked the fact that there was no mention whatsoever of "He who walks behind the rows". That was the most annoying thing in the first two movies for me, especially when it turns out it is in fact a god of the corn... that's just too far out. Instead, we here have a preacher child, who controls the children. I think that's a very good twist, since now the enemy is personified. No black clouds, no lightning and no moving corn. Much better. It does still have some of the corny(no pun intended) stuff, especially in some of the death scenes. It does have a better plot than both the first movies in my opinion, but it's somewhat ruined by a few things; bad acting by some of the actors, a few ridiculous death scenes, and at some points it is slow. I personally think the whole influenza thing was better than the lightning from the first two movies, but some fans of the original might hate it. 7/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it!!!
StevenAAA19 April 2001
This is the second best in the series, And I loved seeing Karen Black, I even wanted her to survive, it hurt to see her die. Anyway, I also liked the deja-vu thing they have going on, effects are good, the cast was good, the suspenseful scenes were well staged, everything was good!!!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's ok, nothing special.
fibreoptic15 May 2004
Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering strikes me as a very average horror movie with a few good gore scenes but of course we all know that gore doesn't make a horror movie good, right? It's all about some dead preacher kid that comes back from the dead to wreak terror on a community living in the countryside by making all the children sick and when they get better turns them weird and makes them start losing their teeth.

I have a few problems with this movie.

*SPOILERS*

1) It is in no way related to the first three Children Of The Corn movies.

2) None of the children actually kill anybody, all the killing is done by the dead preacher kid.

3) As far as i noticed there was no sign of any town in this, just a few places in the countryside.

4) Not once was there a relation to the children and the corn apart from a corn field that the preacher kid killed the sheriff in.

5) Not once was there a mention of 'he who walks behind the rows'.

6) Unlike the preacher kids counterparts in the first 3 films he doesn't do any preaching at all. Strike you as odd?

7) The actual story (what little there was) seemed rushed and ended up muddled.

8) What the heck ever happened to Gatlin?! Not good enough to include anymore eh?!

9) These Children Of The Corn movies (except the first one) aren't that good. Kind of taints the first one.

However, there is plenty of cool gore scenes and erm decent acting by a few of the cast. Better than the third movie though. I've only seen Children Of The Corn 1-4 so i guess i'm going to have to endure the rest. 5/10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Passably entertaining.
Hey_Sweden10 October 2017
Naomi Watts plays Grace Rhodes, a medical student who returns to her tiny Nebraska hometown to care for her ailing mother June (Karen Black). She's just in time to witness a plague of sorts overtake the towns' children: they suffer convulsions & fevers, and are soon turning murderous and taking the names of kids who were killed years ago. The villain this time is the maniacal spectre of a boy preacher (Brandon Kleyla), who is commanding the children to do his bidding.

This really doesn't have very much to do with Stephen Kings' story, other than the prospect of a boy preacher, evil children, and a small nowhere burg. Instead, director / writer Greg Spence and his co-writer Stephen Berger take the opportunity to spice up the tired old formula with a bit of science (as Grace and friendly local doctor Rob Larson (William Windom) do their tests, and a strong touch of the supernatural. Undemanding horror fans will be pleased with the savagery of the killings (one poor chump farmer REALLY gets it bad near the beginning) and the areas' atmosphere.

Plus, there's a chance here to see a future Hollywood star paying her dues in this sort of thing, and Watts does a solid job as the kind of tough, intelligent, ass kicking heroine certain to win audience favour. Veteran character actor Brent Jennings is likewise good, in a rare major supporting role as the area resident who helps Grace save the day. Jamie Renee Smith is an appealing child actress as Graces' much younger sister. And Black & Windom are always good value in anything.

All the necessary exposition / back story is dumped into one key scene, and the attempt by the filmmakers to throw us for a loop with a supposed "big twist" doesn't really work. Most people will probably see it coming. But overall, this entry in this seemingly never ending series is good for some amusement.

Six out of 10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rather decent entry in the series
kannibalcorpsegrinder27 August 2016
Moving back to her small Nebraska home-town, a medical student finds that the sudden series of child illnesses plaguing the town are caused by the rebirth of a dark figure attempting to corrupt the children to eliminate the adults and races to stop his plans.

This one was far better than it should've been. One of the best aspect about this film was it's very high gore quotient as while there isn't all that huge of a body count, what's there is some of the more imaginative kills in the genre. These are particularly brutal and are even more impressive in that they are all involved in some big action scenes. The main attack on the family sets this off nicely while the other attacks on the doctor in the hospital wing or the later scene of the nurse investigating the incident for herself and meets a similarly gruesome and brutal fate there all gives this a pretty enjoyable aspect, and with some hallucinations thrown in it's quite a surprisingly gory effort. Aside from the fine gore, it's also quite fun when it goes for the interweaving of it all through the action and story lines found in this. The opening half's dealing with the strange virus and the mystery is pretty well- handled, giving a glimpse of what's to come while even throwing a surprise into it as well with the resurrection being quite chilling and bringing about the attack on the family that makes for an overall fun time. The last good part here is that the ending confrontation is full of action and suspense as well with the big confrontations at the farm and out in the cornfields for the big fire-filled approach which sends it out on a perfectly appropriate spectacle ending makes this one all quite fun. There really isn't a whole lot that really didn't work in this one, and it's got to deal with the fact that it rarely has anything to do with the other films. It discards the cornfields and the psycho-babble that the others dealt with and instead concentrates on a mysterious disease and the race to discover what it is. That is a wrong move for two reasons. It's already quite clear very early on what's going on, as an early murder and resurrection is dealt with in this manner that goes undiscovered for quite a long time to be truly believable. By the time it's been discovered, it's been so long coming that it's merely old hat by then which is very rare when a film is that far behind the audience as this one is. The other major problem is that it never once really put anyone that was supposed to survive in any danger of them possibly not making it. There's always a very easy way out of the suspenseful parts where they're supposed to be tortured, and it's always a shame when it's all over so quickly and easily. It's decent enough, but it's by no means all that spectacular entry in the series.

Rated R: Graphic Violence, Graphic Language and several scenes of children-in-danger.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it was lot better then i thought it would be
atinder19 December 2011
This time in the movie of this horror series based on works by Stephen King.

a medical studen,t who has moved to the country side, to discover what evil force is holding away with the town's children.

It as some really good intense moments and the story flowed really well.

I really enjoyed some of the real cool deaths scene, which were really well made and can be z tad gory, some of the deaths were really clever.

The acting in this was decent, from the whole cast!

I enjoyed this movie, good movie, but it was not as good as the Children of the corn 3 but I am still going to give this movie, a 5 out of 10
Different
seveleniumus17 July 2009
This one is very different from the first three and the main reason of it is that it's actually scary and really clever to some point, with dream-visions and strange disease, that hits all the kids. This is different kind of horror - you won't laugh at this one like you did at first one("Outlander!"), or second(immortal Indian + granny being smashed by the house or thrown through the window), or third(that ridiculous looking creature at the ending). The performances of the kids are really good and if you're new to the horror genre this movie can even give you nightmares. I can't understand why this one, or some others have such a low rating here in comparison to some other horror flicks, especially newer ones, I give it 3.775/10 on my personal list and 5/10 by IMDb standards. I would give it second place at the series, just under the first one.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best of the sequels in a ridiculous franchise.
ThrownMuse26 April 2005
Grace (Naomi Watts) leaves medical school to return to her small country town and help her psychologically ailing mother (Karen Black) take care of her younger siblings. Her mom keeps dreaming of creepy farm kids that attack her, and soon Grace finds herself having similar dreams. Soon, all the kids in town come down with a mysterious fever and the body count begins. I watched this drunk awhile back and thought it was boring. After a re-watch, I find it to be the most polished and watchable of the COTC sequels that I've seen. It is unrelated to the previous ones and a good attempt at making a unique installment in the franchise. Naomi's great and Karen Black is hilariously psycho, as usual. But it gets stupid quickly, with a ridiculous "bad mom" theme. As expected, the child actors are awful.

My Rating: 5/10.
The kids aren't alright!
Coventry19 June 2005
"Children of the Corn" is one of the least exciting franchises in horror cinema ever and all the sequels are average at best. Part two, three, four or five...what's the difference? When you've seen one, you've seen them all. This fourth entry is bearable, but only thanks to the starring of Karen Black and a young Naomi Watts who plays the lead-role. The premise here has got nothing to do anymore with the original Corn-movie and introduces a 'new' type of spiritual evil that takes over the minds of young children in an offbeat Nebraska town. Grace takes a break from university to look after her ill mother at home but she soon discovers that pretty much everyone in town has issues. Especially the children, who all get feverish together and take over the personalities of kids that lived in town 60 years earlier. The script of this straight-to-video production is a giant mess and the substance is far too ridiculous to evoke any scares or atmosphere. The plot actually hasn't got anything to do with corn or cornfields so it's clear that the makers exclusively used the name to make their marketing campaigns easier. There's only one reason to check out this film and that is – of course – the gore! We witness a couple of very gruesome deaths here, committed with typical farmer tools like shovels, pitchforks and (yay!) scythes! You see that the bloodthirsty children in Nebraska interpret the term "harvasting season" very seriously...
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Liked It!!!!
movies2u13 November 2002
Children of The Corn 4: The Gathering was a very good movie. All of the Children of the Corn films are usually straight to video and where made with a tight budget, but they are still good movies and are fun to watch. I had just seen "The Ring" and then, watched this, and realized Naomi Watts, star of The Ring is also the star in this film. I give Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering a 10 out of 10!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One more..
BatmanFunReviews20182 November 2018
All the kids in a town over night become feverish and have convulsions. The next day they start to become evil, change their names for those of kids killed long ago, and then start killing any adult in their path. A young woman who has just returned to town tries to find out what is happening, while trying to protect her young sister. Not even Naomi Watts role could have saved Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering from complete stupidity i mean this films somehow get even worse and worse with each new installment and it's kind of insane if you think of it too.
Children of the Corn The Gathering: An odd improvement
Platypuschow15 June 2018
If a franchise is lucky enough to get to the fourth movie then it needs to be ready to adapt, it needs to be ready to change so that things don't get boring but stay true to its origins.

Here in "The Gathering" we see all the towns children get sick with a mysterious virus only to awakan claiming to be someone else. Soon the killings begin and it comes down to a young Naomi Watts to combat their evil scheme.

Going in I expected the worst, all 3 previous movies had failed to impress and could not be referred to anything beyond passable. Somehow this has been the best one so far and is true 90's horror at its core.

I think the whole Children Of The Corn concept has gotten somewhat over convoluted by this stage and doesn't even remotely resemble Stephen Kings creation. Regardless this is a passable enough little fluff piece that should keep fans of the series entertained.

The Good:

Looks great

Some inventive kills

The Bad:

Still suffers many of the franchises weaker tropes

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

A scythe to the genitals might be an unpleasant way to go
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Children of the corn visit the hospital
Realrockerhalloween20 August 2016
An interesting take for the series after three successful movies where kids are getting sick with a mysterious fever and granting them godlike powers.

What seems strange is that this entry doesn't involve child ministers, corn or even mention he who walks behind the Rowe. Originally this was a script sitting around at the studio they dusted off and slapped the brand name on it without further thought.

Though some may argue the host boy seen briefly is the demon himself. Yet the movie added A lot of filler without any further thought into how it connects. Even of it had been released under its untouched format doesn't seem to mush.

It wants to be shocking, scary and dark, but without any guidance or revelation to what it all means it ends up falling flat.

Naomi Watts looked stunning and gave a great performance and it takes true talent to shine when almost everything else in production stinks.

The music wasn't bad, the picture looked great and was enjoyable even though the plot was all over the place.

Not the worst corn movie yet, but you can start to see the rot.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stay out of the Cornfield!
wes-connors15 October 2013
Before the credits, creepy Karen Black (as June) lets a menacing kid into her isolated small-town Nebraska house. He has a deep wound in his hand, so Ms. Black goes to get some bandages. She breaks a glass, the kid gets ugly and Black wakes up. Apparently, it was a dream. After the credits, we meet Black's attractive daughter Naomi Watts (as Grace Rhodes). A medical student, Ms. Watts is taking a semester off to see what's wrong with, and hopefully help, her possibly psycho mother...

As luck would have it, Watts has arrived just in time for "The Gathering". Area kids get feverish and act weird. They come from the original one, who possibly inhabits in the corn field. His story is told, later. The story is stupid, but looks like it would be fun make for all the kids in the cast. Nice to see veteran William Windom as the kindly doctor (Rob Larson) and Brent Jennings (as Donald Atkins) performs his heroic role well. When the cameras are kept still, Greg Spence directs smoothly.

**** Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering (10/8/96) Greg Spence ~ Naomi Watts, Brent Jennings, Karen Black, William Windom
Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering
Toronto858 September 2012
Children of the Corn 4 is much more thought out than the rest of the sequels. The cut version that I have on DVD separates itself from the original story of "he who walks behind the rows" giving a fresh look to the franchise. A lot of question marks are raised throughout the beginning, but nothing is really answered until the later half of the film.

Grace Rhodes comes to her hometown of Grand Island, Nebraska to take care of her mother June who is having nightmares of sick children. June has also become to paranoid to leave her front yard. In addition to looking after her mother, she has to take care of her younger siblings. June's nightmares also include a young boy dressed in a preacher like outfit, and we later find out his name is Josiah. Anyways, June's visions of sick children comes true. All of the kids in Grand Island start becoming ill with high fevers and pretty soon their teeth begin to fall out. And that's when some of the adults in town begin dying off in gruesome ways.

The big plot reveal (told to viewers near the end of the film) is that Josiah was taken in by some travelling preachers as a child and eventually became a very gifted preacher. Over the years, Josiah never grew out of boyhood and stopped aging. The travelling preachers gave him over to darkness to stunt his growth, but when word got out, they abandoned him. Josiah killed the preachers and then the townspeople burned him alive and sealed his remains in a well. Grace also finds out that Josiah can control all of the children in the town by finding a child like himself (a lie child). That child is Grace's "sister" Margaret. The lie surrounding Margaret is that she is actually Grace's daughter whom Grace abandoned years ago. It's up to Grace to destroy Josiah and save the children.

Children of the Corn IV is a step up from part III. The films itself looked a lot cleaner and sophisticated then it's predecessor and I liked the franchise returning to the rural setting. There were some gory moments and genuinely scary scenes which was missing from the third film. I recommend it. Acting was great (Naomi Watts), had a good story...definitely one of the better sequels in the franchise.

think this is the same as the last 3 think again
Kittykilljoy4 September 2011
basically c.o.t.c 4 has nothing at all to do with the last three movies at all it's basically children killing some adults but there's corn fields so really that is thee only connection it has with the rest of the movies there is no cult gatherings of a preacher leading a group of children to rebel against the adults it's just thus dead preacher you see some times through the movie thats about it. the acting good and the plot is OK but would've been better if there was a bit more sense to it like more detail as in why the the two main leading adult character's think something is up with the children instead of automatically knowing something is. like the first death sequence where after Marcus's mum's dead he just goes over and climbs over the corn and into the corn field. and the farther presumes somethings weird about him instead of thinking hey his mums just dead he might be in shock. but watch it for yourself you might just like it