The Cable Guy (1996)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 28 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for dark thematic elements and crude humor|
Sex & Nudity
- The cable guy slides his middle finger in a female masturbation way across the wall to find the right spot for the cable and he says "is this what you want? Talk to me -- is this what you need? Is this the spot?" in a very suggestive manner.
- A TV screen showing women in bathing suits dancing to a karaoke track is shown behind a man while he sings. The scene starts with a close-up of one woman's cleavage.
- We see Steven rhythmically humping the cable guy's back with him saying "oh yeah", but it turns out that he was trying to crack his back. At first, this scene looked like a strong gay sex scene.
- A woman sensually plays with Steven's hair and then kisses his neck in the bedroom, as soon as they start to kiss they are interrupted by a few partygoers but they leave the room just as the woman climbs on top of the man; sex is implied (it's also revealed shortly after that the woman is actually a prostitute).
- The cable guy presses his right breast up against a glass window with Steven sitting on the other side (in a prison) and says "oh, Billy" - this scene references a scene in Midnight Express.
- A group of people play a game of "porno password" in which they must guess words like "foreskin" and even cruder terms through clues given by other players.
Violence & Gore
- The Cable guy takes Steven to a medieval themed restaurant where they then fight each other with swords and other medieval weapons. Steven merely tries to defend himself while the Cable guy appears to want to inflict harm upon Steven (such as when he slices open Steven's shirt, barely missing his body).
- The Cable guy (upset that Robin is on a date with somebody other than Steven) ambushes the date in the restroom. He dunks his head in the toilet, twists his arm behind his back and throws him to the floor. There he pulls out his eyebrows, throws him into the wall, punches him in the back, knees him in the stomach and finally stuffs the guy's mouth on the hand dryer nozzle and turns it on.
- Steven punches the Cable guy in the face after he implies that he's seen quite a bit of Robin.
- The Cable guy repeatedly tries to break down Steven's door and when he finally does he chases Steven around his apartment.
- 2 "s" words, 7 "ass" words, 3 damns, 2 Son Of a Bitch's, 1 hell and 2 uses each of "Jesus,", "Jerk off" and "Bastard" and 1 use each of "God damn," and "Oh God," as exclamations.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A flashback scene shows the Cable guy's mother smoking a cigarette.
- A cop smokes cigarettes at a party.
- A man smokes a cigarette.
- The Cable guy orders ale for Steven and himself at a restaurant.
- At a party Steven, the Cable guy and others drink beer. Others are seen with mixed drinks and a woman asks Steven for tequila.
- Steven and Robin drink wine during dinner.
- At a family dinner, everyone drinks wine.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The entire film is very dark in tone. The film's premise revolves around a stalker who is ceaselessly annoying and it gets to the point where he makes threats and follows through with them. The Cable Guy is a disturbed individual, and much of the humor comes from his twisted antics.
- The entire film has a very high level of suspense
- Some scary music during the dream and chase scenes and at the end of the movie.
- There is also a side plot revolving around a murder trial. While not frightening per se, it is certainly unsettling at times.
- Things get tense when Steven realizes just what kind of guy the Cable Guy is, learning he was fired for stalking customers and is deeply troubled.
- Steven has a nightmare about a demonic version of CG trying to break into his apartment, which he does and then chases him.
- There is a final fight scene between Steven and the Cable guy on top of a huge satellite dish during a thunderstorm that some people might find intense
Violence & Gore
- There is a final fight scene between Steven and the Cable guy on top of a huge satellite dish during a thunderstorm. The dish has filled with rain water and the Cable guy tries to drown Steven. Steven breaks free and punches the Cable guy several times in the face. The Cable guy then head butts Steven. All the while, Robin dangles from a rope above them, tied there by the Cable guy. Later, he holds a staple gun to Robin's head to ward off Steven's advances.
- Despondent, the Cable guy jumps to his "death" from the satellite dish. Everyone thinks he's dead for quite a while, but it turns out he survived the long fall and is taken off in an ambulance.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The Cable Guy tries to commit suicide