Aladdin and the King of Thieves (Video 1996) Poster

Good enough to watch, but not my favorite Disney sequel
Smells_Like_Cheese29 March 2004
I know that a lot of people had preferred Aladdin and the King of Thieves over The Return of Jafar, but honestly I thought it was a notch lower. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this movie but it was just an alright story. One thing that I really did love about it though is that we do have the original cast back and the animation was really lovely. The problem I had though is that at this time we did have the Aladdin animated series, which was awesome to watch, but this felt like a story that they could have just done on the TV show. Aladdin finally gets to meet his father, but of course this wasn't exactly what he was expecting, maybe he was expecting a Ward Cleaver type of guy, but hey, this is Aladdin after all.

Aladdin knows his future is being married to Jasmine but can't remember most of his past. But he remembers that his mother died when he was a child and he never knew his father. The oracle, however, reveals that his father is actually still alive. Aladdin chooses his question and asks about his father's whereabouts. The oracle reveals that his father is with the Forty Thieves, trapped in their world. Believing him to be their prisoner, Aladdin tracks them down and stows away into their hideout. He is shocked to find that his father is not their prisoner at all, but their leader: Cassim, the King of Thieves. But, family or not, Aladdin has trespassed in their lair and Sa'luk, Cassim's irate right-hand man is eager to have him punished for it. Cassim, however, suggests that Aladdin instead face "the Challenge" - an initiation ritual - where he must defeat another one of the Forty Thieves and take his place. Sa'luk volunteers to fight Aladdin. The two engage one another in a fierce battle which ends with Sa'luk falling into the ocean. Afterwards, this gains Aladdin a place among the Forty Thieves. Sa'luk however, has survived the fall, and makes his own plans for revenge against both Aladdin and Cassim. Aladdin and Cassim bond, and it is then that Aladdin learns the true motives behind the raid and his father's leave of absence from his family: he had discovered evidence of the existence of the Hand of Midas, a powerful artifact that can transform anything it touches into solid gold. Cassim believed that, with the Hand, he could return to his family and give them the life they deserved instead of one living out in the streets, and had instigated the raid so he could capture the oracle's staff so he might question the seer as to the precise whereabouts of the artifact. Only, Aladdin had stopped him. Aladdin convinces Cassim to come back with him to the Palace as his guest and, for a while, he is happy to spend quality time with his son. Cassim meets with Jasmine, Genie and the Sultan, and they immediately take a liking to Aladdin's father. But Cassim may still be up to his old tricks as Aladdin still tries to fill the relationship that he never had with his father.

So is Aladdin and the King of Thieves worth the watch? Yeah, I did enjoy this movie over all, it's a lot of fun and it was cool to have Robin Williams bring life back into the genie. The animation was really great and I loved seeing the action sequences between Aladdin and his father. The effects that the animators put into this movie was great and very entertaining. Then on top of that, Aladdin and Jasmine are finally getting married! They invited you to come along as well! Well over all I do recommend that if you're looking for a cute family film, this is a good one, I just preferred Return of Jafar a little more, but it's all good, this was still a worthy sequel and a good finish to the story of Aladdin.

32 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
By far the best Disney made for video sequel.
TOMNEL19 June 2006
voices: Scott Weigner, Linda Larkin, Val Bettin, Frank Welker, John Rhys Davies, Gilbert Gottfried, CCH Pounder and Robin Williams.

Unlike later made for video sequels, this one does not follow the plot line, "Main character has a kid, who longs for what he/she can't have." This movie has a great plot, it's that Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding is crashed by the 40 thieves, the leader of the group is his long lost father. This also marks the return of Robin Williams as Genie, where the sequel and television show had Dan Castellaneta. Of course, since Robin returns he has a gag every ten seconds, but most of them land pretty well. The songs are quite good, and the characters are really quite fun. The animation is not that great, but it works well enough where you don't really notice it. I recommend this finale to the Alddin trilogy.

My rating-*** out of ****. 81 mins. Rated G.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great from start to end
Op_Prime27 September 2000
The third Aladdin film is not as good as the first film, but better than the second. Animation is vastly improved over the last one, but still can't compare to the first. Hey it's a direct to video movie, so it won't get the big budget of a theatrical release. Robin Williams is back as the Genie and is as hilarious as ever. I don't care if he was over done or not, he was very funny and vital to the movie. The songs were much better than people make them out to be. This movie had a great story and was a fitting end to the Aladdin story. Thumbs way up on this one.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Worthwhile Sequel
GEM-206 March 2000
I enjoyed this sequel to "Aladdin". Another of Disney's direct-to-video releases, the movie features decent animation, a good story, and music that is pretty good.

In the story, Aladdin goes in search of his father. Upon discovering him, he finds that his dad is the leader of a gang of thieves.

I enjoyed the movie and it was nice to see (or hear) Robin Williams providing the voice of Genie again. "King Of Thieves" is a great improvement over "Return Of Jafar."

In the original "Aladdin", the animation of the flying carpet was computer generated. Here, it is done with conventional animation. There did not appear to be any extensive computer animation in "King Of Thieves."

Still, I thought that was okay. This is a made-for-video picture, and obviously it would have been made on a much smaller budget. This was a movie that was meant to be seen on television screens.

I relish that Disney has made some fine direct-to-video sequels. Most are pretty good. "King Of Thieves" is worthwhile. Disney's first made-for-video picture was "The Return Of Jafar" (the first "Aladdin" sequel). "Lion King II - Simba's Pride", and "Pocahontas II - Journey To A New World" are others. I recommend all of them.

Give Disney some credit. These are great additions to my Disney Library.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good sequel!
disneygek14 February 2002
Now this was a sequel well done! Robin Williams is back from the first movie and just as funny! I think they let him go loose a bit more... Which works nice! The music is totally different from the original. The Return of jafar had music that sounded a bit like the original music, but this has a totally different approach. The result is a very, very decent soundtrack! Nice songs, though not impressive. Animation has some flaws, but all and all very well drawn, too! The new characters are fun, I just love Cassim!!! However, I don't like the characterdesign of Sa'Luk... But maybe that's just me...

All things considered, this is a very good sequel!!!
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of The better Sequels...
IDanceWithFishes7 June 2006
This was one of the better sequels. The humour was not too cheesy, hardly surprising, seeing as the excellent Robin Willams was again voicing the Genie, and the voice of Cassim did a wonderful job. The animation wasn't great, but better then the Return of Jafar by a mile. The songs were a bit limp, but were upbeat and not that often. "Welcome to the forty Thieves," was my personal favourite. The storyline was strong and we even got a touch of mythology in there! A good yarn to keep the kids quiet, and compulsive and entertaining enough for the adults. The best sequel out there.....

Jasmine looked a little dodgy on some parts of the animation, while Cassim looked better then all of them. A few old gags and scenes from the first movie were woven in, but not to such a extent that it was major clinch overload.

A enjoyable enough film, which I actually quite like.^^
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthy
Beast-518 June 2002
Robin Williams came back as Genie,fortunately,and most of his jokes are

hilarious.ALADDIN AND THE KING OF THIEVES is one hundred percent better than THE RETURN OF JAFAR. But then,a root canal would be better than TROJ...anyway,the story is interesting and the voices are wonderful (John Rhys-Davies is brilliant as Cassim.) My only complaints are the rather limp songs and the animation of Jasmine,who looks like she's

been deflated. Other than that,the characters are more like themselves than they were in TROJ,and Rasoul just rules. A fitting,imaginative conclusion.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pretty good
Hollywood_Yoda13 February 2002
This was not the best disney animated sequel of all. but in all Aladdin and the king of thieves does absolutely have a good story line. the story of aladdins father is very heartfelt, that is why i gave it a 6 rating. and why did Iago have to be in this one also. i mean he got to be in the first two and he was the 2nd main character in the return of jafar. alls well that ends well though. aladdin and jasmine finally get married. the song for this sequence is very sweet. i liked this one better than the second, since robin williams returning role as the Genie. I liked it when he was Mrs Doubtfire. this is a good movie to watch over again.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthy Sequel...
Cephyran6 September 2003
All of the recent Disney sequels have a set formula that makes them generally the same movie. The main characters have a kid, the kids a rebel, and gets into trouble. Not so with this one. It effectively combines the Aladdin story with the legend of Midas - a touch that turned everything to gold. Again we get to see Robin Williams in character as the blue genie, and funny as always. Again, its a movie meant for the kids, but everyone can find some value in it.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aladdin and the King of Thieves
jboothmillard15 June 2005
This straight-to-video second sequel to the successful Disney film (the first sequel being the disastrous Return of Jafar) is a really good idea for the end of a trilogy. Aladdin is finally marrying Princess Jasmine now that he is a real prince. Aladdin is wishing that his father (voiced by John Rhys-Davies) could witness this day. When Aladdin and Jasmine are about to do it, the forty thieves intrude and wreck the Palace and the King of Thieves tries to steal a gold stick containing an Oricle. Aladdin tries to find his father with this Oricle and soon discovers that he is the King of Thieves. A very good father-son story with some good action and a happy ending. But of course, the main attraction to this film is the return of Genie. Homer Simpson, Dan Castellaneta voiced the first sequel, but they managed to bring back the even better Robin Williams as the blue guy. He does even more good impressions, e.g. Forrest Gump, his own Mrs. Doubtfire and Elvis Presley. Very good!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Animation is NOT better
gothemuppets27 May 2005
This movie... I like it just because it's an Aladdin sequel but if I was a critic which I am not I would absolutely hate this movie Bad: The animation was absolutely terrible... Jasmine's face looked like spew and the carpet was treated badly. The carpet was a flat piece of paper for most of the flying scenes. A lot of things looked bad for example in the Saluke and Aladdin fighting scene if you can call it that the background damn red! Red! It looked horrible! Some of the jokes were terrible for example "None for you, your the designated flier" all he had to say after that was "Ha ha boom boom" and it would have been one of the worst jokes in the movie. Kids won't like this movie let me tell you that. Saluk had no reason to be mad at everyone. Just because he doesn't get what he wants it a terrible reason to hate everyone and everything. I watched the movie today and I saw (I hope someone else noticed) the Sultan wearing the horrible orange thing. When he met Al's dad his costume changed from Orange to White a few times? Everyone should watch it and stare at the Sultan in that scene because it will make you go "Oh god". I liked this movie but they had about 5 cents budget... Merwin Foard was Cassim's singing voice? Why did Cassim need a singing voice? He didn't sing anything that was too hard for John to sing? What next they get someone for Robbin Willaims to sing for them? Yeesh Good: Well... The songs were pretty good... Gilbert Gottfried was good as usual... John Rhys-Davies did his best... The story was OK... I don't think Al needed a Dad but hey I can't choice for them... It was a nice movie but I don't think anyone will ever be able to give a good enough reason... Like I said I like it because it's an Aladdin sequel and I think that is why some people like it.

4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should Have Gotten a Theatrical Release.
jerekra6 August 2009
Most of the time when straight to video Disney Sequels are made you can understand why the film was not released in theatres. However in the case of Aladdin and the King of Thieves I feel that this film should have been released in the theatres.

Aladdin and Jasmine have their wedding interrupted by an attack by the Forty Thieves. Soon Aladdin learns that his father is the King of Thieves. He brings his father back to Agraba hoping that he will reform, however Aladdins father has hopes of finding the ultimate treasure no matter the cost.

The artwork for this film is way better than in The Return of Jafar. Also the story is excellent and action packed.

One of the main reasons why this film works is the return of Robin Williams. He is as hilarious as ever as the Genie, and actually I think that he is much more funny in this film as opposed to the first Aladdin film. Genie is hilarious in this film and that is the major reason this film is great.

Also I like how Aladdin's father is in this film. A great idea and I think that this somewhat is similar to the third Indiana Jones film. Not only is the idea similar but the fact that they got the actor who played Sallah in the Indiana Jones Trilogy (his name escapes me) makes the idea work all that much better.

Also there is a good villain in Suluk, a sort of huge evil guy with a sharp claw thing on one of his hands.

I guess the one flaw might be the lack of great songs. If they had improved on that a little this film would have been perfect. But I would rather there be great humor, action, and story than a few great songs.

If they had improved the artwork a little, and added some awesomer music this would have been a great film to release in theatres.

Of all the Disney sequels that have been released straight to video, this is BY FAR the best. I recommend this film greatly.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Return of Robin (Williams)
sngbrd3924 August 2000
Before I saw this movie, I thought that Robin Williams' return would solve all the problems "The Return of Jafar" had. I was wrong; really, really wrong. "King of Thieves" started out with such a good premise, Aladdin discovering his father as the leader of a band of thieves, and that's why I can't stand it. It took the perfectly good premise and destroyed it with Genie overkill. I was glad Robin Williams was back and everything, but I really didn't want to see him in almost every single scene. Also, the jokes seemed a lot more forced; it all reeked of "been there, done that". The animation was once again shoddy in comparison to the original, the colors once again murder to the eyes. The songs were really bad, not a single one of them memorable in any way. I came off hating this movie even more than "Return of Jafar" despite Robin Williams.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robin Williams is BACK!
lordzedd-317 March 2007
I never knew why Robin didn't do the second movie, now I do. It was due to an dispute with Disney over merchandising. But all that's over Robin Williams is back as Genie and God did I miss him. Not that Dan Castellaneta didn't do a good job filling in for him in THE RETURN OF JAFAR and the TV SERIES. But Robin is genie. Now the music and the plot works for the most part. The only thing I don't get is why they didn't arrest that one Guard who hates Aladdin and will do anything to see him dead. He worked for Jafar in the first movie, he should have been executed for treason after that. But when they find out the King Of Thieves is Aladdin's father they treat him like dirt. Forgetting this was the man who abandoned his family to search for wealth, and he never saw since he was a mere boy. Guilt by bloodline is just wrong. But it makes up for that in other ways and I give it 7 STARS.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Disney Sequels Should Be...
swansongang6 August 2006
Okay, maybe the movie isn't perfect. Aladdin's singing voice sounds a bit weird, and the animation isn't quite as good, but this is worthwhile. All Disney sequels should be something like this.

This movie comes up with an original plot, rather than reusing the old one. The songs might not be quite up to par with the originals, but they are still a lot of fun. The best part is that the movie ends well. It brings the trilogy to a rather sensible closure, rather than having some sappy ending like the Little Mermaid II. This is the type of movies Disney should at least be making as sequels.

Best sequel they've made.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Aladdin!!!!!
sethn1726 September 2006
The "Aladdin" series of stuff keeps on piling up in 1996 with its third part and its second video- only movie so far, "Aladdin and the King of Thieves."

Here, Aladdin has decided to marry Princess Jasmine. But as the ceremony was about to go through, something bad happens!!!!! There are bad guys; thieves!!!!! Now, Aladdin's job is to stop them before it's too late and that the wedding will go on!!!!!

I must say, "Aladdin" was a very successful Disney medium of the 1990s. Yes, I have enjoyed "Beauty and the Beast," but I too have enjoyed "Aladdin." This spawned three movies (one theatrical and two video), plus a TV series and a video game, and lots of toys, too.

This final chapter in the "Aladdin" series is a must see!!!!!

10 stars
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best DTV sequel
TheLittleSongbird11 February 2009
OK, it isn't as good as the original, but it is a huge improvement on The Return of Jafar.TROJ wasn't terrible, it was just disappointing. The characters are more mature here, and yes Robin Williams is back and in hilarious form. The only reason why this isn't a 10, is because it just can't compete with the original, which is a 10. The animation is better than in TROJ, and so is the humour. True there are colour changes in some scenes, but that is what is to expected. Jasmine's animation is my only complaint, it was a little deflated, but I thought she was animated worse in TROJ, where she lacked her vivacity that she had in the original. I loved all the Genie's jokes. Here, he imitates Sylvester Stallone, Bob Hope, Forrest Gump, Mrs. Doubfire and Steamboat Willie to great comical effect. My favourite was when he shouted STAMPEDE dressed up like a cowboy. The story, while complicated, is well-told, much more involving than TROJ, and fills the running time perfectly. Never once is it boring. The songs are so much better than TROJ, bringing a nostalgic feeling to the original, and some of them have humour in them. "In or out" is my favourite. The score by Mark Watters is just brilliant, and deserves a mention.The voice-talents are great. Iago is less irritating in this movie, and Robin Willaims is fantastic. There is also pitch-perfect support from Jim Cummings, Jerry Orbach and John Rhys-Davies, especially from Rhys-Davies. All in all, watch this movie, you'll enjoy it ! 9/10. Bethany Cox
Robin Williams Elevated This Movie To a Greater Level
D_Burke29 April 2008
You really can't review "Aladdin and the King of Thieves" without comparing it to its 1992 theatrical predecessor, or even the first direct-to-video sequel "The Return of Jafar". As an earlier reviewer on this site has mentioned, this movie is not as good as the original Aladdin, but much better than the second one in both story and animation.

Having Robin Williams come back to reprise his role as the Genie was probably what made this movie above average. As talented a voice over artist as Dan Castellaneta is, he just couldn't fill Williams' shoes (or his lamp). So it was a pleasant surprise to have Williams back as his manic self with all his authentic, gut-busting gags and various celebrity impressions.

However, that being said, having the Genie present a lot of the time created some fairly noticeable improbabilities and definite plot holes. For instance, when the 40 thieves raided Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding in the beginning, the Genie could have stopped all of them and sent them all to jail. I had the impression that the Genie's powers were infinite, so he was definitely capable of doing that. On the other hand, it wouldn't make for an interesting movie if the Genie magically solved everyone's problems. It still didn't seem right that the Genie just stalled during those climactic scenes, though.

But with every problem the Genie didn't magically solve, there came a plot that was slightly more complicated than expected, and that's a good thing. The complicated plot made the story far more intriguing, and it added a great deal more depth to Aladdin's character. Caseem, Aladdin's estranged father, was also a great addition to the cast, and his character was equally appealing.

Although we didn't see too much of Jasmine in this movie, she appeared to be a much stronger character than even in the original Aladdin movie. I commend the Disney company for making her a strong, supportive companion to Aladdin without making her appear to be a damsel in distress. In fact, the part where she punches one of the thieves for "ruining my wedding" was an excellent touch.

The animation itself could have been better, but it was above average for a direct-to-video sequel from the 1990's. With just a little bit better animation, it could have easily been released to theaters. I don't think that was Disney's intent, though. So for what it was worth, it's an above average movie, and Robin Williams made the movie all the better by returning as the Genie.
Good movie better than Return of Jafar
MovieFan9839 December 1998
Yeah it was better but it still didn't beat the original Aladdin, It had the jokes, animation, and Robin Williams as the genie. But it was still missing the one thing that the original had...Magic. So if you don't think too much of it you'll like it. I give it a 6 out of 10 or *** out of 4 stars.
Amazing Sequel!!
BatmanFunReviews201812 October 2018
Aladdin is about to marry Princess Jasmine. Despite the encouragement of his friends Genie, Carpet, and Abu, he is fearful and anxious. He is worried as to what kind of father he will be, having never known his own. But when the 40 Thieves disrupt the wedding trying to steal a magical oracular talisman, Aladdin is drawn into a quest to stop the thieves and find his long-lost father. I still remember seeing this movie on VHS alongside 'Return of Jafar' like countless of times and loving both of them alot and believe me even to this day it holds up strong. (A+)
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Love Anything with Aladdin if anyone hates it their werid.
mr_waterfall26 September 2018
REturn of Jafar is better but still a B+ movie its like what more do you all want? It has action, he finds out about his dad, i mean don't you always wondered, and plus find out if he loves his son as much as $. IT has great color, animation got Williams back, i mean what is not good? I miss the Jafar i love them battling but great end to #2 which is better yes but its awesome i mean its like even if somethings good and great color Aladdin got williams, back etc its like its still not good enough for a higher grade but stupid movies they get A and B's from you all, its still Aladdin and that just its in a different light i mean come on.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Disney sequel I've seen so far and nearly on par with the original
Stompgal_8724 March 2014
I remember seeing the trailer for this Disney sequel (plus the original and 'Return of Jafar') when I was younger and up until now the only part I could remember from that trailer was about Aladdin and Jasmine "finally getting married." Fast forward several years later when I rediscover this film in the Nostalgia Chick's Top 5 Least Awful Disney Sequels where she placed this at no. 2 and it looked good, especially with the Genie's hilarious pop-culture references. Another part of this film I remember seeing when I was younger was the song 'Father and Son (one of the best on the soundtrack),' which was on a Disney Sing-Along-Songs video but I can't recall which one. After having finished watching this film, I was satisfied with it despite some of its qualities not quite matching those from the original.

First off the animation quality was decent for a DTV sequel if not quite as good as that in the original and the magic carpet wasn't as elaborately designed as in the original but the animation itself still had good uses of cel-shading and the squash and stretch principle. The incidental music has a similar structure to that in the original but it had its moments of power and poignancy. Besides 'Father and Son,' the other songs I really liked were the rousing 'There's a Party Here in Agrabah,' the lovely 'Out of Thin Air' and the reprise of 'Arabian Nights.' The script consisted of a mixture of funny, dark and rather moving lines. A couple of lines to me seemed like twists on common phrases such as "out-of-movie experience" as opposed to "out-of-body experience" and '"Open caraway, which was shortly corrected to, "Open sesame" - both of which were amusing nonetheless. The story was also well-written for the most part although its only flaw is that it was sometimes hard to follow. As for the voice acting, Aladdin, Jasmine and the Genie sounded the same as they did in the original although Iago and Sultan sounded a little different this time around. On a more positive note, John Rhys-Davies was superb as Aladdin's long-lost-father Cassim and their ups and downs were suitably dramatic. Further to the pop-culture references, these included Disney ('Snow White,' 'Steamboat Willie,' 'The Lion King') films and non-Disney ('Rain Man,' 'Mrs Doubtfire and 'Forrest Gump') films.

Overall I found this a very enjoyable Disney sequel which is the best one I've seen so far, although I would like to give 'Return of Jafar' a chance one day because I like its song 'Forget About Love' as well as some of its clips featured in the Nostalgia Chick's Top Five Least Awful Disney Sequels. 8.5/10 to round up to IMDb's 9/10 rating.
Very well done
tollyjamesmaggs17 June 2011
Some people argue over which is better: Return of Jafar or King of Thieves. To be more specific, they actually argue over which one is WORSE. When I watched this film, both as a child and an adult, I didn't see much wrong with it. In fact, I really enjoyed it!

The animation had picked up again to a fantastic standard compared to the last movie, with quality only dropping in short moments. However, while the animation didn't quite seem to stay on par at all moments, I thought the music was sublime. Very emotional music which is used to convey emotions successfully in creative dramatic ways. One example of this would be in Aladdin's fight to join the thieves. Most of the diegetic sound drops out, leaving only the sounds of fire and lighting, leaving the music to convey the process of emotions running through the characters: Sa'luk's thirst for Alladin's blood to vent his rage for Cassim, Cassim's fear of losing the son he only just found, and Aladdin's desperation to survive. Very creative and poetic, with similarly poetic scenes later in the film.

Although the characters' goals and reasons for alternating in decisions can be confusing, if you keep up with it it remains logical and the narrative successfully develops. The narrative kept me interested, and I thought it worked being a short film (Just over an hour). The plot doesn't drag too much, there is often a sense in development in both the story and the characters, and the action is meaningful.

One other part of this film which is always entertaining is the genie's (Robin Williams') small 'sketches' that, while they seem to stray from the plot, are very entertaining, witty and comical. It was clear Williams had a lot of contribution to his character and the jokes that were made.

Overall, I found this film very entertaining: Both as a child and an adult.
A Great End to the Trilogy
soodynem11 February 2009
I have to say, this is without a doubt one of the only watchable direct-to-video features Disney has ever given us. Now, for those who haven't seen this, and have seen the likes of, oh, I don't know, The Hunchback of Notre Dame II or Tarzan and Jane, you may ask how this is possible.

Start with the voice actors. You have the complete original cast back on board (minus Jonathan Freeman, for obvious reasons), plus a few extras. Jasmine may sound slightly different than she used to, but my spies tell me that she is indeed the same actress. John Rhys-Davies provides his voice for Aladdin's father, and the King of Thieves, Cassim. Jerry Orbach (of Beauty and the Beast fame) plays one of the forty thieves, Sa'luk. And finally, the star of the show has returned. I like Dan Castellaneta, and I think he did an acceptable job as the Genie, but Robin Williams is still the best.

In fact, William's performance here could be best described as 'unleashed'. The Genie impersonates no less than five Disney characters, including Mickey Mouse himself, becomes an entire army (comprised of SWAT, cavalry, paratroopers, bagpipe men, the ED-209, and Pocahontas), picks up an elephant with his bare hands, and comforts Jasmine as Mrs. Doubtfire, albeit a bearded version.

This movie has a coherent plot, which is, you know, strange for a Disney sequel. Some may say it was stolen from 'The Last Crusade' and I'd have to agree. You know, hero meets father, father is looking for some important artifact, appears to love it more than his family, but… doesn't. Yeah. Except instead of the Holy Grail, we have this awesome Hand of Midas that can turn anything into gold.

The villain foundation is not as good as the original, but Jerry Orbach still manages give us the next best thing with a grey-skinned, muscle-bound, wolverine-claw using man known as Sa'luk. I would rate his death scene as one of the best in cinematic history.

Songs… Ha. Well they don't measure up to the originals, but they do the best they can do. Genie is so over-the-top with his two songs that it's almost unbelievable, and the forty thieves song is quite entertaining. Just, uh, pretend that you can't hear the sappy song Aladdin and Jasmine sing about his childhood, as it may induce vomiting and/or cancer.

After the exercise of utter futility that was 'The Return of Jafar', this movie gives us some of the best direct-to-video animation you'll see out there. It's truly a satisfying film that provide a satisfying ending. While I'd rate 'Aladdin' 9 stars, 'Jafar' would get 2 and this would get 7 to 8. It's that good, check it out.
Surprisingly good
dreamsnebulosa26 July 2008
Weell, after seeing "Return of Jafar" I wasn't expecting so much for this movie. A few reviews saying "King of thieves" was better than "Return..." decided me to saw it and...wow! what a great movie!. As an Aladdin fan, I loved this one, mainly because its good plot and the good animation. "King of Thieves" has a good script, good songs, and our loved characters are back after that very bad movie between the original and this one. Aladdin and Jasmine are such a sweet couple! And I can't forget Robin Williams! He's back too and it's a delight.

Now, I'm going to forget once I saw "Return of Jafar". This one will be the only sequel of "Aladdin" in my mind.