Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles (TV Series 1996–1997) Poster

Not even Demona could save her own dismal episode of this spin-off.
catscratchr16 October 2002
While this spin-off gave me something to look forward to watching each week(that is, when my local station bothered with even airing it!), it lacks the magic and power of the original series. "The Journey" was especially disappointing as a follow-up to the breathtaking "Hunter's Moon" trilogy at the end of season two.

While the series had it's moments("Dying of the Light", "For It May Come True" and "Angels in the Night" are tolerable and even likeable, esp. "For It May Come True" the scene where Goliath chokes on his orange juice!), it pretty much turned into a cookie- cutter Saturday morning 'toon with none of the charm or originality of the first two seasons.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unworthy of its parent series.
Victor Field22 April 2001
In this followup, the existence of Goliath and his clan is no longer a secret, and not everyone is happy with this. Not least me.

Not because of the setup, but because of how it's treated - as well as a noticeable toning-down of the stories (no room for such truly chilling moments as the scene in the first series where various Gargoyles were smashed to pieces while in their stone state), the animation was much inferior thanks to it being farmed out to Nelvana (yep, the people that gave us "The Care Bears" and "Flying Rhino Junior High"). Even Carl Johnson's stirring theme music sounded like a victim of weakness in its new version.

I did like the concept of the Quarrymen (and the line where the leader of the Quarrymen tells an underling called Maxwell "Remind me to give you a silver hammer" was pretty good for those who got the joke), but all told this is, as Wayne and Garth would say, not worthy.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the first 'Gargoyles' show was!
Christopher Smith10 May 2001
I guess ABC was really desperate for a hit Saturday morning cartoon because while GARGOYLES: THE GOLIATH CHRONICLES is entertaining enough, it is not nearly as good as the 1994 TV show GARGOYLES. The first show was full of fantastic action, adventure, and humor. This one is just kind of more of the same except only half as enjoyable. It would've been nice if ABC would have kept this show on longer. Sure, it wasn't the best cartoon ever, but it gave me something fun to watch. I heard Disney is thinking about doing a GARGOYLES movie which I look forward to.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the original show.
JG200114 November 1999
The original Gargoyles show was good because it showed Disney was willing to let its animation grow up a little. "The Goliath Chronicles" wrecked that by putting the show on Saturday morning, skimming on the animation budget and childrenizing the feel of the show. It just wasn't as good and didn't even last a season. It would be best to ignore this.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How The Mighty Have Fallen
CrassActionHero15 July 2006
After two thrilling seasons of "Gargoyles", the show gets a new premise and a new look. Now we enter Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles. I loved the original series and was looking forward to this series and holy cow does this stink! The compelling and interesting story lines, gone. The stylish animation, gone. All the fun and thrills, gone. Now we are stuck with a series that is a shadow of it's former self. The series is strictly custom made for kids and all of the teenage and adult fans of the original series will despise this with all fiber of their being. Not ONE episode of this tripe was even the least bit interesting at all. It was no wonder this lasted one season.

The Last Word: Avoid. Stick to the original epic series instead.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Continuing a masterpiece...
thrix22 April 2003
The Goliath chronicles are, in my opinion, a good follow-up to the before two seasons. Although the animation is not as good as it was, I believe the story is still a tight and immensively creative one. "For it may come true" is just outstanding!
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A worthy follow up
Op_Prime18 March 2000
The Goliath Chronicles is a worthy follow up to the original Gargoyles show. It has some interesting stories and you can tell the actors give it their all. One problem with this show is the animation. It is obvious it doesn't live up to the standards set by the first series. This series was to short lived and didn't deserve to be.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame spin-off of a brilliant TV series
Kai-1811 November 1999
This show ruined Gargoyles for me. The voice actors are still good but without Greg Wiseman (he didn't supervise the show) the hole story just fell apart. Xanatos as a good guy? Lame. He was supposed to be king bad-ass and now he's just lame. And the Quarry men are just rip-offs of the Purity '99 movement from Alien Nation or the Friends of Humanity from X-Men. Avoid it if you like Gargoyles.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the actors did a great job bringing their characters emotions to life
Mel Z19 March 1999
I really like The Goliath Chronicles because of the different story lines in the show. I think the actors did a great job bringing their characters emotions to life. I laughed and cried while watching the various episodes and I hope that they continue to make good television shows like this. To me the show is fun for the kids as well as for the grown ups.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.