Now and Then (1995) Poster

(1995)

Grown-ups are a dull letdown
vmcdavidson12 August 2000
In this coming-of-age story set in both the 1970s and 1990s, the younger cast is brilliant and natural, particularly Christina Ricci and Gaby Hoffmann. The script soars with female teenage humor, friendship, and pre-puberty naivete -- a sprightly soundtrack of 70s tunes takes older viewers down memory lane. But then, just when the story about four best friends during summer vacation in a new housing development is clipping along at a compelling pace, SLAM! The film jumps forward 20 years and the girls are grown-ups. And at these points, the movie groans along like a garbage disposal with too many potato peels crammed in it.

Remarkably, the dismal acting of these veteran actresses isn't as bad as the lack-luster script during these "flash-fronts". Were there separate writers for this film? I usually adore Rosie O'Donnell, but casting her as the grown Roberta was a horrible choice. Demi Moore's character is now self-absorbed and self-pitying, and Melanie Griffin (super-famous actress) and Rita Wilson (pregnant homemaker) are insipid caricatures. None of these women are one-quarter as interesting or delightful as they were when they were adolescents, particularly Roberta (Ricci/O'Donnell). The film's flipping back and forth between the decades becomes quickly annoying.

Suggestion: Rent the video, and fast-forward through the adult stuff. Fast-forwarding the tape won't rob anyone of the film's message (something like "friendship is forever," or "don't go into cemeteries at night"), and it'll save you about 30 minutes of fidgeting, waiting for the film to turn back to the four girls. At least they have fun. And the treehouse they save up to buy is every girl's idea of truly cool!
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Love This Movie
Darkest_Rose5 January 2003
Now and Then used to be my favorite movie when I was younger and it still remains one of my favorites. It's about four friends that have made a pact when they were younger that if one of them ever needed each other they would be there. Now that time has come. Chrissy( Rita Wilson) is about to deliver a child and she wants her friends to be there. Roberta( Rosie O'Donnell), Teeny( Melanie Griffith) and Samantha(Demi Moore) have all arrived and are about to reunite again. While all this is happening, Samantha is telling the story of their childhood and how their friendship began. In the younger days, samantha is played by Gaby Hoffmann, Roberta by Christina Ricci, Teeny by Thora Birch and Chrissy is being played by Ashleigh Aston Moore. This movie is absolutely wonderful, it puts me in such a great mood. The story is just so great, i could watch the movie all over again.It makes you think that real friends do exist. I would give Now And Then 10/10
29 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie that mothers and daughters can cherish.
SanDiego29 August 1999
My daughters (ages 10 and 12) and I love this film, we cherish this film. We laughed, giggled, cried, hugged, and bonded. I highly advise this film to all mothers and daughters. Some warnings. There is a brief scene where some skinning dipping boys are chasing the girls who have stolen their clothes. It begins with a very quick shot of an older boy's penis as he flips into a pond (I didn't see at first, but my daughters did after repeated viewings and use of the pause button), followed by a discussion of male erections by the four girls. The scene is so well written and handled that parents could actually use it to break the ice in the discussion of sex with their children. I did. The girls then proceed to steal the boy's clothes and are chased on their bicycles by the four boys who are seen nude from the rear. This scene is played so innocently and cute that a parent need not worry about it, though I have noticed my girls rewinding that scene. A parent should not worry about their children viewing this film, however, the parent should watch it with their children.
37 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even Though It's A Girl's Movie, I Liked It.
movies2u14 November 2001
Now and Then is a good film that has a likeable cast and is funny and expresses friendship. Yes, it is definetley a girl's movie, but even though, I enjoyed it. The movie is like Stand By Me, except it shows girls's perspectives. The film is a good and fun movie to watch for fun. I give Now and Then a 9 out of 10. :)
28 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best adolescent nostalgia movies ever made.
Shopaholic3531 January 2014
I see a lot of people comparing this movie to Stand By Me but the problem with that is if you were old enough to see Stand By Me when it was first released then hate to break it to you but this movie is not targeted at your demographic. Just because something feels like a remake of a movie made a decade before does not mean that the new movie is in anyway terrible. Take Heathers and Mean Girls for example both good movies but in my opinion Mean Girls appealed to me more as it was aimed at my demographic. If you can't judge a movie on it's own merits than perhaps you need to chill a little.

Anyway, Now and Then is one of those movies that sticks with you for life. Recently I just converted a friend of mine in her mid twenties to loving this movie. I was dumbfounded that she had missed this right of passage that most young girls had when this movie was released. Every girl can relate to one of the four characters and it reminds you of a simpler time where all that mattered were boys, having fun and navigating your way through growing up. I still remember taking Cosmo quizzes and thinking they had an insight into your soul, preparing for your first kiss and investing in my first bra. I know there are a lot of parents who think this movie is overly sexualised but guess what when your kid is going through puberty nothing will turn them back into your precious little angel. Accept it and hope they have supportive friends who they can share their journey with.

If you watch the movie with an open heart you will find a great cast that feels real in their characters, a brilliant soundtrack that increases your nostalgia level and a deep and meaningful storyline. It deals with subject matter that many adolescent movies steer clear of, just because you are young does not mean you haven't experienced hurt and pain like an adult. Adolescents needs to know that life is not always perfect and that there will be ups and downs but everyone is all in it together. I cannot strongly recommend this movie enough if you are willing to enjoy this movie for what it is, a fantastic coming of age movie.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, Wholesome, Family Flick.
eddiethomson15 May 2007
This was a great family flick. It was funny and charming. I watched this film with my girlfriend, when she picked it out at Blockbuster I cringed at the fact of having to watch it, but you know, I admit, I enjoyed this film a lot more than I though I was going to. It was cute, the plot was good, it actually kind of reminded me of another fantastic film called "Stand By Me", but in a girl's perspective of course. If you have young children, heck, if you don't have young children, give this one a shot. This is a film I think any Female would probably enjoy. If your a dude, put away all your manly inhibitions for about an hour and a half, don't expect too much going into the film, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very hilarious and touching movie about the power of friendship
Catherine_Grace_Zeh27 November 2005
NOW AND THEN, in my opinion, is a very hilarious and touching movie about the power of friendship. If you ask me, it makes you and your friends stop and evaluate your friendship. I know it certainly made me stop and evaluate my friendship with my really close friends. All in all, this was a very good movie. In conclusion, if you enjoy buddy movies, and you haven't seen this very hilarious and touching movie about the power of friendship, I highly recommend it! You're in for a real treat and lots of laughs, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it. If you miss it, I guarantee you you'll regret it.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A User's Movie, Not a Critic's Movie
Kruzicle13 January 2014
I watched this movie when I was 11. Like all movies you watch when you are 11, it has that nostalgia value that no critic can touch. Sure, it's not entirely realistic or in any way makes you contemplate your life on a deeper level. It's one of those movies you just accept, flaws and all, because it's catchy and fun and full of childhood nostalgia. The cheese factor is pretty low, compared to many other coming-of-age films. So yes, it may have a 19% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but I will always have a special place in my heart for this movie. And yes, because I'm sure everyone wants to know, I SO wanted to be Roberta. Ps Since when have you had to have 10 lines of text to be considered a review? Wtf IMDb, we are in the culture of efficiency.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All-star cast. All-good film.
David, Film Freak15 April 2001
'Now And Then' is about a group of women who return to their old treehouse and reminisce about the one summer that truly changed their lives...

With an all star cast, 'Now And Then' features Melanie Griffith, Demi Moore, Rita Wilson and Rosie O'Donnell, with Thora Birch, Gaby Hoffman, Ashleigh Aston Moore and Christina Ricci playing their younger counterparts.

Teen star Christina Ricci ('Casper', 'The Adams Family') is great - as is Ricci's 'Gold Diggers' co-star, Ashleigh Aston Moore - as the mis-informed Chrissy. Bonnie Hunt ('Jumangi') and Devon Sawa ('Wild America') also star.

The story is great - plenty of laughs to be had here, with sad moments, too. The acting is A-Grade (the young girls look very promising) and the finished product is a film all the cast should be proud of.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love "Stand by Me". I love this
marcfantozzi26 March 2001
"Now and Then" is very simular to "Stand by Me". Thats why I saw it. It is a girlie film but I did enjoy it and even own a copy! It's only flaw- it's cliched (but hey, I'm a horror fan, so I really shouldn't complain!). Four friends all aged 12, an over- weight kid that gets picked on. The four friends have to cope with loss, death and of course.... adolescence. All these things were brought up in "Stand by Me". Despite "Now and Then"'s flaws, it is, in general, a great coming of age flick. Well acted and has a great cast of young and adult actors. The comedy is better in this film than it is in Reiner's 1986 hit. And seeing as this is a comedy, it delivers. A fun filled ride into adolescence!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, But Not Great
NotPavlovsDog2 June 2009
Having just recently watched "Now and Then" again, I decided to check out what other people thought. Reading through a lot of the comments, I noticed that many compared this film to Rob Reiner's "Stand By Me." I guess I would consider the two to be of the same genre (coming of age), but, to me, that's really the only thing the two have in common.

"Now and Then" is a fun film. It's got quick and easy laughs that many (not just teenage girls) people will find humorous. I will say that "Then" is vastly more entertaining than "Now"; the adult versions of the characters briefly open and close the story, with forgettable filler in between. "Then" offers some slight depth of character for the four girls who embody stereotypes of adolescent girls (the princess, the tomboy, the sheltered one, the seemingly normal one). "Now" still embraces those stereotypes (the princess has become an actress, still obsessed with body image; the normal one has become a writer, who showcases her intellect by wearing black and smoking). There is no growth amongst the adults. "Now" is focused on Chrissy's pregnancy and reminiscing, while "Then" seems to get distracted amongst its various subplots (unraveling Crazy Pete, watching parents fight, bicker with boys, watch movies, build a tree house, ride bikes) without ever really coming to a true conclusion.

For a movie hailed as a "Stand By Me" for girls, the film is lacking in its overall sincerity. Whereas Reiner's film grapples (and in some cases overcomes) 'mature' themes like death, acceptance, and separation, Glatter's film skates over the big issues. "Stand By Me" captures true childhood friendship (friends help friends get leeches off their backs) "Now and Then" is only truly poignant, well, now and then.

I'd recommend "Now and Then" for a time when you are in the mood for something lighthearted and distracting. I'd second the opinion that it's great for a girl's sleepover or something. But if you are looking for something a little deeper and, in my opinion, more true to childhood friendship, I'd tell you to skip this movie and go straight to "Stand By Me." Note: "Stand By Me" is rated R; "Now and Then" PG-13. Both films have great soundtracks.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute and fun
Rumples15 March 1999
This is a nice example of a fairly popular genre, the nostalgic growing-up, adventure on the edge of maturity, friendship bonding thing. As already mentioned, the adults are irrelevant and add nothing to the film (not even acting talent). The roles the girls take are all nicely stereo-typical, the princess, the prude, the tom-boy, the 'normal' one - they could have been the Spice Girls! Anyways, if you want to see a cutsie flick that's nostalgic and fairly innoffensive, this could be for you.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stand By Me for Girls
jay5020 August 2003
This is a cult classic girl movie and i still watch it today. Although I did not enjoy the 'Now' version of the film, where the four girls are grown up and re-uniting, mostly because i feel the characters dont really like eachother anymore, i loved watching the 'then' part with the four girls growing up in 1970's USA. The excellent soundtrack just adds to the uplifting feeling of this film. Watch as we follow Christina Richie and friends growing up through fun times (Devon Sawa getting his clothes stolen) and bad times (Richie finding out how her mum died). Look for an early performance from Brendan Frasier as a soldier back from war, and Thora Birch before she got all serious! Excellent film.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully crafted, but relies totally on subplots. **1/2 (out of four)
Movie-1212 August 2000
NOW AND THEN / (1995) **1/2 (out of four)

Lesli Linka Glatter's touching drama "Now and Then" is a misguided tale that beautifully captures the many painful and joyful ups and downs of four best friends growing up in the 1970's. Best compared to "Stand By Me" and "Man in the Moon," this tender movie gently touches base with the delicate time period when young girls experience the confusions and emotions that are present in the process of puberty.

The plots happens over the eventful summer of 1970. The film details the lives of four best friends, Samantha (Gaby Hoffmann), Teeny (Thora Birch), Roberta (Christina Ricci), and Chrissy (Ashleigh Aston Moore). During this summer, the girls find it necessary to ware bras for the first time in their lives, a factor in which they have varied feelings. This is also the summer where they discover their town's horrifying secret about a young boy who mysteriously died thirty years ago. Pursuing the girls are the neighbor boys named the Wormers.

The film is told in the present through the girls who are now adults. The adult actresses, including Rosie O'Donnell, Rita Wilson, Demi Moore, and Melanie Griffith, appear only as wraparound bookends to fill the audience's desire to see whom the girls turn out to be. However, they are not examined in enough detail to fulfill these desires.

"Now and Then" filmmakers describe the characters descriptively and vividly with believable character traits like curiosity and lively spirit. They are very well cast by some of Hollywood's biggest names, who perform with a sweet, gentle, fitting attitude. The movie's actors are willing to give more than the script allows.

The problem lies not within character, however, but in plot. The film seems unclear of what it is about, whether it wants to detail the lives of four adolescent girls, discovering the death of Dear Johnny, childhood mischief: the story is so easily distracted. The film persistently adds in unnecessary clichés and predictable character formality involving relationship conflicts and novice romances. Yet at the same time the plot is executed artistically with an enjoyable sense of style and an effective mood along with a soundtrack that is true to the 70's era.

"Now and Then" is the kind of movie that relies entirely on subplots to propel its distracted story line along. I compare the film's structure to that of a deformed tree, where there are plenty of narrative roots and the story branches off in many directions, but it does not have a thick trunk for support.
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An underappreciated coming of age classic
tdh_fbi29 October 2018
In my honest opinion, "Now and Then" should be in the same category as "Stand By Me" and "The Goonies" as far as children/pre-teen/teen coming of age movies. To some people, it is, but I have yet to see it on one of those big retrospective lists detailing these kind of films.

The performances by the young actresses, especially those of Gabby Hoffman, Christina Ricci, and Thora Birch, are the biggest standouts to me. Their roles are so relatable even today, which was big to me considering that this film took place during a time period way before I was even born.

Another great point was the frank discussions of sex, puberty and growing up. People were unafraid to discuss these types of things in movies and film back then. In my opinion, nowadays people are so scared to touch these types of subjects in movies for fear of offending people or floating the wrong ideas to kids.

One point in this that was lacking to me, however, were the performances by the adult actresses. Don't get me wrong, I have a great amount of respect for all these ladies, especially Demi Moore and Rita Wilson. I just feel that the storyline regarding them as adults could've been expanded on a lot more, even if it meant making the movie's running time a bit longer than the filmmakers intended.

All in all, despite my one grievance, "Now and Then" is an honest, funny, and sweet coming of age movie which will always be a classic in my mind.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can be a nostalgic flick for girls
KineticSeoul18 March 2012
Watching this reminded me of the Korean movie "Sunny" although this came out first. Well it wouldn't be a shock if the director of "Sunny" was influenced by this movie. The dialogue however didn't seem as natural sometimes and seemed like watching some southern novel that isn't really down to earth. It just didn't seem like what a group of women would be saying to each other, but than again the story switches back from the 70's to 90's when it comes to the characters. The dialogue just seemed too safe to be natural despite the sexual stuff and it's a girly movie. Since the 4 main character are 4 girls in the 70's and women in the 90's. Anyways the story is about 4 women getting together after spending there childhood together and reminisce of the past and adventures they had together. Although most of it takes place during a summer. Now I am not a fan of Rosie O'Donnell, to be honest I think she is irritating to watch sometimes. Her character is like the main character or leader of the pack and I thought it was ridiculous her younger version would be played by Christina Ricci. Not that I am a fan of Ricci either, but the comparison is too big to the point you can get confused who is who sometimes when it comes to the younger version with the older version or visa versa. So yeah I don't know if Rosie picked her younger version but it's just absurd. Overall this is a touching movie that most girls and maybe some boys will probably enjoy watching and parents will probably enjoy it as well. It really does give off a nostalgic feel because of the friendship, even if you didn't go through the same things the girls did in the movie. I give this movie a 6.8 because the development of the characters aren't done all that great and somethings are not explained and not for good reasons. Some say this is a female version of "Stand By Me" and I agree to certain extent.

6.8/10
Summer Classic!
anastasiabevearhosen8 April 2007
I love this movie!!! It is definitely the perfect girl summer movie. The plot is simple and at the same the adventure they have is so much fun. The characters are so easy to relate to, no matter what decade you belong to, you know you would want to hang with your friends like this. I remember the second I finished the movie me and my cousin grabbed our bikes and began our own summer adventure. To this year we still love to go out on our bikes in the summer. Its really great for kids of today to watch this, it gets them inspired to go out and have fun outdoors instead of having their butts glued to the TV or computer. I recommend this movie to anyone who wants to put a smile on their face.
the movie is about 4 girls who's summer dream is to buy a tree house
fuzywazywasaber419 February 2007
i am a younger girl. I love this movie it is perfect for a slumber party! its so fun! i watched it 4 times in the last three days. your daughters will fall in love with it. i would give it a ten out of ten because every girl would love watching it. There is a tom boy, a un informed girl,a science fiction freak, and a girl who wants to make it as a movie star. All the girls have real ambitions and face real life challenges. such as near death experiences divorces and sneaking out at night. the girls talk about sex and have other adolescent conversations. They learn to trust in each other and live life to the fullest!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All for one and one for all
kinziekinz21 June 2006
This film really does show the friendship and loyalty that is forged by a group of young girls, who when they said, friends forever, meant it. It was so long ago, years and years in fact, that i first saw the film, but i still absolutely love it. The friendship which the girls have in their childhood really is a lot like other people's childhood friendships. The tree house, swimming, bike trips, mystery. It has always been around.

The film starts with Demi Moore's character Samantha returning back to her home town, a place which she didn't really want to see again, but she still made the trip back home, all because of a pact which she made with her friends as a young girl. Whenever we need one another. We will be there. and they kept their promise when Chrissy asked for their help, to get through her pregnancy, and when expecting her first child to be born at any moment they came. After returning back home, memories from one particular summer flood back, the summer they got their tree house and the summer that held many mysteries and drama. It was the summer where they grew up and learned to fend for themselves. As Demi Moore says at the end of the young girls story- "The tree house was supposed to bring us more independence, but what the summer actually brought us was independence from each other." and that was how their summer of mystery ended, but it was not the end of their friendship.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A further exploration of the territory adroitly ma...
Ziggy-1222 August 1998
A further exploration of the territory adroitly mapped out by Rob Reiner previously in Stand By Me. The female perspective was refreshingly truthful. These 2 films would make great double feature viewing, however Reiner's has fewer clichés.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rosie O'Donnell was miscast in this movie
derrickmclr28 March 2020
I remember watching this movie with my Aunt and cousin when I was 10 years old and wow. I thought it was amazing good story with a solid story and almost great cast. I had an issue with Rosie O'Donnell in this movie, granted I have no issue with her, She was one of my favorite parts in A League of Their Own but she was miscast. Gabby Hoffman playing the younger Demi Moore made sense as did Thora Birch being Meanie Griffith. I wasn't aware of Ashleigh Aston Moore but her being the younger Rita Wilson was inspired casting. I will admit I am biased because I had the biggest crush on Christina Ricci when I was a kid and I was taken aback at the older version being played by Rosie O'Donnell. What? They couldn't get a better actress? Christina Ricci was a bigger star and a better actress than O'Donnell(No offense) and it bothered me. Everything else was on point just that part.
Why only a 6.1?
sies12328 June 2000
Now what's this movie doing with a 6.1?It certainly deserves a much higher score,and needs to be present at least in the top 50.I see a lot of positive comments but the score does not seem to be as good.And as for the people who gave this movie a 1(!), I wish them good luck.The movie is absolutely heart warming and soul stirring and I personally feel that it is one of the 50 best movies ever made.My score?A perfect 10.
wow!
tinkerbell starz4 June 2000
there is so much i could say about this movie...all good! i truly enjoyed this movie and plan on watching it time and time again. i loved it very much and most likely will buy it in a couple of minutes! so...if you truly like movies than this is a must see. the actors are great and the emotional plot of the story left me in tears the first time i watched and and every time since then! i may only be 15 but if i can tell a great movie when i see one than i think others would enjoy it too! happy watching! bye ya'll!
Not incredibly memorable
gcd7018 March 2008
Would be "Stand by Me" for the girls, about growing up and making lasting friendships. The plot from I. Marlene King (a semi-autobiographical piece) has little substance and never really manages to captivate, reducing the target audience to teen girls twelve to sixteen years of age.

Director Lesli Linka Glatter's film is almost entirely about "Then" and rarely covers "Now". Top line stars Demi Moore, Melanie Griffith and Rosie O'Donnel are wasted completely, playing less than a handful of paltry scenes. Whatever Miss Glatter was trying to create, she fails to make "Now and Then" into anything incredibly memorable.

All pic. contains is a few light hearted adventures of four girls' discovery that they are on the verge of womanhood during the summer of 1970. Christina Ricci, Gaby Hoffman, Thora Birch and Ashleigh Aston Moore (the girls in question) do a reasonable job, but stars Hoffman and Ricci need to be challenged with meatier roles. Average film over all.

Saturday, March 30, 1996 - Knox District Centre
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A shoddy re-hash of Stand By Me
Colonel Ted21 January 2000
Virtually every wannabe feminist film since Thelma and Louise has taken its cue from a male film, but instead of doing an imaginative variation like T&L, has settled for out and out rip off and a simple minded "girls are better than guys" message. Bad Girls was just Young Guns in skirts and Now and Then is just girly remake of Stand By Me, which frankly doesn't deserve the humiliation of being mentioned in the same review. Demi Moore and co. reminisce at their friend's baby wake 20 years later about the summer where they tried to solve the death of a boy in their town, which is acted out by the likes of Christina Ricci and Thora Birch. However that is merely a feeble plot device, because what mostly happens is that the girls giggle about sex, talk about puberty, take revenge on boys, sing on their bicycles and share each other's troubles. How fascinating. What little plot does go on is boring, predicable (almost perfunctory) and sickly sentimental pap. Stand By Me was a great rites of passage drama with great, believable characters, a driving plot, a touching script and performance to match, all handled superbly by director Rob Reiner. Now and Then is simply a shameless waste of a talented set of young stars to satisfy the whims of the older stars. Especially Moore, (who also produced) and is further proof of her habit of wasting good talent for her own purposes: see also The Scarlet Letter. The only noteworthy thing in the entire the film is how anyone could have thought that the elf-like Ricci could have grown up to become Rosie O'Donnell!
9 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.