Hackers (1995) Poster

(1995)

Caution: movie may be better than it appears...
kergillian25 May 2001
Hackers is a non-stop cheeze-fest. It's also one of my favourite films of all time. Which is not to say it's a perfect ten, it isn't. But it's a great combination of good cheeze and pure fun. Suspend all disbelief, it's not about realism. And try not to nitpick (we all know graphics would not have been possible using Unix, we all know that those archaic modems couldn't run that fast, etc. etc. etc.)

That aside, this film is really funny. It also laughs at itself on a regular basis...I mean just look at dade's wardrobe, and then remind yourself that you know half a dozen people who dressed like that in 94. I know a people who mirror just about every character in this film, which makes it even more enjoyable.

The dialogue is often over the top, and some of the acting is overdone, but tis the nature of the beast. Jonny Lee Miller (who never ceases to amaze me) pulls off the American accent quite well (though he tends to slip on occasion) and Dade is certainly no Sickboy. But that's just an example of range (he did it again in Dracula 2000...and almost saved it). Matthew Lillard, though occasionally OVERLY annoying, is perfect as Cereal Killer; his best role ever, though Scream comes close. Renoly Santiago is a funny and loud Phantom Phreak, a role only second to his role in Con Air, and his lines are always great; and Laurence Mason as the ultra-cool Lord Nikon a very close tie with Tin-Tin in The Crow for coolness (and he's done some *cool* spots...Floyd D in True Romance (not to be confused with Brad Pitt's character 'Floyd';) and Roach in an awesome ep. of Law & Order...) his character is by far the coolest of the Elite. Lorraine Bracco in a *very* early role...and speaking of *early* - Early Edition's Fishe Stevens is amusing as the arrogant swine Eugene 'The Plague' Belford. And how can one not like a film with Penn Jillette in it???

But all that aside, Angelina Jolie stole the show (as she often does). Looking like a cyber-elf straight out of ShadowRun, she's sultry and sexy in a way most actresses these days can't manage. I can't think of any films I haven't liked her in...even if I didn't like the films themselves. She's simply awesome here, she even takes bad dialogue and turns it into fun, good lines. And *her* outfits are really nice, save for that horrid dress she was stuck in at the end. And she has a Massive Attack startup on her puter!! (with a 28.8 bps modem!! ;p~~~)

Overall: sure it's unrealistic. Sure half of it's impossible. Sure it's overacted and the dialogue needs work. But the cast are all under-rated, and most of them went on to better roles, some to much fame. And the soundtracks are absolutely AMAZING!! I own them and listen regularly... This should probably rate a four or five, but I can't help but ignore all critics and pronounce myself as one of the large cult following of adorers of this film. For fun value, let alone the fact that it's entertaining as hell: 8/10.
196 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and Entertaining
knicksfan12_20003 June 2004
First off I would just like to say that anyone who reads into this movie too much(ie try to take the validity of each and every aspect of the movie) will hate the film. Coming from a programmer and a computer enthusiast, the movie was great despite all the false statements, fake guis and totally bs methods of cracking. Quite frankly if you are one of my fellow computer geeks don't expect anything close to the real deal, it would never make a good movie for the public. I think that the true movie here is behind the whole "hacking" front. It is the development of characters the build up of a plot and an exciting climax and satisfying denouement. In closing, don't expect a command line prompt or a true UNIX client on any of the systems because it just doesn't happen in movies. Instead watch the movie because its exciting, fun and a great throwback to the early 90's.
104 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of fun to watch
tom_dimaggio28 October 2008
I'm working in IT for over 10 years now, and let's be clear: Hackers is a movie, .. there's nothing real about the "hacking" going on in the movie.

There's a few scenes that are horribly done (for today's standards) but all in all I loved the movie. The acting is OK, the soundtrack is great and it changes for the everlasting "chliché" of the IT Nerd.

It's a movie that could surprise you, especially with the amount of bad movies being released nowadays. It's funny to see Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie at the beginning of their careers as well.

If you're looking for light entertainment for one evening, ...
31 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
morgandorfer6110 July 2000
I happen to like this movie because it is just fun to watch. If I'm bored, I can easily become unbored by watching this movie. The soundtrack is awesome and it introduced me to electronic music. I never liked it until I saw "Hackers". I love the clothes and the visuals. I knew it wasn't accurate from the minute I saw it, but then again, it's not like it was posing itself as some movie that depicted the real life of cyberpunks. It's just fun little movie. Though some of the dialogue is a bit cheesed up, it is quotable.

I especially enjoyed the performance by Matthew Lillard. It made me look forward to seeing him in "Scream" later on. He is so funny. I enjoyed Angelina Jolie, though this is hardly one of her best performances.

The only person who really didn't belong in this movie was Lorraine Bracco. She just looked strange in her role. Other than that, this movie was a good movie and it shouldn't be bashed because it depicts people, technology, and life inaccurately. What movie ever does? I'm from Iowa and do you think movies depict Iowan's lives exactly the way they are? No. But I'm not out to fertilize the lawn with "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?".
47 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Out-of-Date, Tech Mistakes, but WHAT A CAST!
cariart18 November 2003
The problem with any movie that focuses on technology, particularly computers, is that it will become dated nearly immediately. This isn't a new problem for filmmakers; great films of the past, from DESK SET to COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT, from DEMON SEED to TRON and THE LAST STARFIGHTER have all featured 'cutting-edge' technology that seems quaint, by today's standards. Even 'Hal', from the timeless classic 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY, is a huge monstrosity that could be miniaturized to a fraction of it's size, today. So when a film's whole theme involves computers, like THE NET, or HACKERS, you can't take the technology end too seriously, even if much of it is bogus, as is the case of Iain Softley's paean to teen-aged computer freaks. Hackers are, of course, not romantic, adventurous daredevils who are trying to right wrongs by attacking evil conglomerates via an expertise in computer programming; they are generally over-educated anarchists who create worms and viruses for the simple joy of seeing the disruption and destruction of EVERYONE'S computers, just to know that they can do it.

Having said this, let me say that the true joy of HACKERS is seeing a group of young 'Stars in the Making', early in their careers. Of course the most recognizable and famous of these is Angelina Jolie, who looks butch and adorable with short hair, and 'an attitude', but the film also offers a dazzling performance by Matthew Lillard (Shaggy in the live-action SCOOBY-DOO), who has become one of the finest young comic actors around; gifted British actor Jonny Lee Miller, playing an American, here, who would go on to TRAINSPOTTING, DRACULA 2000, and the title role in the TV production of BYRON; Jesse Bradford, star of last year's CLOCKSTOPPERS; Laurence Mason (BEHIND ENEMY LINES, A.I.); and Renoly Santiago (CON AIR). Quite an impressive resume for a cast of 'unknowns' in 1995!

Of course, the established actors of the film haven't done badly, either...While Fisher Stevens never became a 'major' star, after the build-up television and the SHORT CIRCUIT films gave him, he still remains active; and of course, Lorraine Bracco went on to THE SOPRANOS, as the Mafia's favorite 'shrink' (with the possible exception of Billy Crystal).

So, if you skip over the dated attempt to be 'cutting edge', and just sit back and enjoy the performances, HACKERS is a fun movie that can be appreciated as a 'Preview of Coming Attractions' from a remarkable cast...
87 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, Fun movie...
TheSecondQuest8 August 2000
This flick came out during my freshman year of high school, pretty much everyone who saw it that I knew had a blast watching it, and in fact saw it several times in the theater (one fellow saw it about 6 times i think). While the computer screens depicted aren't realistic so to speak (I'll get to that in a moment) it was exciting, and made computers exciting again, it also didn't hurt the fact that everyone I knew used Macs just like the Hackers in the movie, so as you can imagine, it inspired many of us to see if we had the potential to do similar things but ultimately gave up (popping in a few CD-ROM games was much more entertaining;;) ). Anyways, now I own the film on DVD and I believe I've come to a revelation regarding the computer screens shown in the film...what we see is not what is actually happening on the screen, what they're showing us is what the hackers are doing, as visualized in their mind, they picture the data on the screen in a way in their head where it comes together, and what we see is that picture in their head, if maybe only an enhanced picture...anyways, thought I'd share that.

Oh, and isn't it funny to see computer geeks drooling over a laptop with a 28.8 modem?::)
30 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So what if it is unrealistic... It's still fun to watch.
morrigan-817 September 2000
Ok, I've read lots of the reviews here. I'm a computer person by trade, and I'll agree that the effects, and even some of the terminology is WAY off. But that's not the point of this movie. It never claims to be a documentary, just a fun movie about good vs. bad, and good wining. It just happens to take place over the internet. I think that this movie has just gotten a bump rap, it's the perfect B movie for lazy Saturday nights...
33 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to be overjoyed with a 28.8 BPS modem
athame18 July 2001
It doesn't take a very good movie critic to see that the movie doesn't really have a really interesting plot with interesting characters. A group of teenagers doing things they really shouldn't, getting into trouble and saving themselves again. And in the mean time a sub-plot which involves a girl and a guy that hate each other in the beginning and fall in love with each other throughout the movie. Nonetheless, i still rated this movie very high. Why? because in my opinion it's still a great cult classic. It gives a very good image about how people thought about computers a few years ago when not everybody had one yet. The handlenames are mysterious ("acid burn" "the plaque") but would be ridiculous in this age. People are overjoyed when they get to see a 28.8 BPS modem (who needs T3 anyway? ;) PLUS they pretend as if you can see a program running like it's some sort of great graphic animation. Angelina Jolie and Jonny lee Miller (from trainspotting) are really great in this movie although you can see they're still pretty young and unexperienced. 9/10
44 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't help it. I loved it.
version227 February 1999
Although not very accurate, it is an excellent film. On the other hand, I am a sucker for Angelina Jolie so that might be the reason why I loved it. I recommend catching this one when it is on or renting it. Well worth it.
43 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light hacker fantasy
michaeljhuman25 April 2012
Obviously this movie is not an academy award winner. So it's going to score or not score points solely based on entertainment value.

Here's why I rate it a 7...

* The music - a great soundtrack, if you enjoy the era and genre ( Prodigy being one of the coolest bands featured) * The characters - They are all fun - especially Cereal Killer and the phone phreak guy * A pretty hot Angelina Jolie * The dialog - Some of it is pretty amusing, if you don't take the movie seriously * The overall presentation - I enjoy the signs of the time; grunge music posters, early virtual reality, etc; I enjoy the attempts at portraying what goes on inside of a computer even though it's totally wrong * I enjoy the attempt of the movie to be technical. Especially amusing is the discussion of Kate's laptop..."It has a killer refresh rate", lol; You kind of have to laugh at such things; They get some things right though. Like calling the compiler design book the Dragon book...it was named that when I was in college

Obviously weak is the portrayal of computers and hacking. As a computer professional, I can still live with it. Movies rarely get any of this stuff right, so you just put up with these things.

The plot is quite weak. But what do you expect? It suffices as a vehicle for the situations, dialog and music.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant Movie
Scouserboy22 July 2003
I watched this movie by accident but i am glad i did. it is not a well known movie but i think it is great. the plot is stupid and unbelieveable but it is really enjoyable. i am not a big fan of Johnny Lee Miller but even in this he is good. it also is the first time i saw Angelina Jolie who in this is good. in all good performances all round and good movie
28 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hindsight
utica2 March 2006
I worked on this movie when I was just starting out in film post production. At the time I couldn't understand why we weren't using proper computer graphics and UI design during the sequences where the kids are hacking into computers. However, after a recent viewing on TV I realised what the director was aiming at - nothing dates faster than computer technology and its visual representation, it's just part of the way that it works. Softley went for a deliberately abstract depiction of the technology in order to give the film some relevance to audiences that might have be years into the future. There's no way that anyone in 1994/5 could have predicted how the internet would evolve or how UI design would progress - the creatively lead look of the hacking sequences in this film still work today because Softley chose to avoid sticking netscape logos all over it. If you think I'm talking nonsense then take a look at the email moments in "the Net" or "Mission: Impossible" and you'll see what I mean - embarrassing!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most
as with most films ive seen- ive read the book first. Hackers was brillantly made as was the book written they compliment each other well, true it differs slightly but then again reading and watching promote two different understandings, illiterates have to be able to get out of the film what the book offers but have it spelt out in a basic happy way, bookworms have to be able to 'read between the lines' and get all the writers input. comparing one against the other i would have to admit for once the film does the book a hell of alot of justice. even the soundtrack which is good doesnt bring down or make the movie (see my comment on the matrix) it compliments it. True most people know Johnny Lee Miller as Sick boy, but still b films are always worth a try in fact all the hype could of quite possibly suffocated this innocent beauty (perhaps a bit romeo and juliet romance). The computer talk may confuse some but the story line is obvious. Every little character gives this film that touch, i have and will continue to watch Hackers continuously, and one day i hope it will be recognised as an all time classic.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful movie
erik_davidsson_200010 April 2004
As the title of the movie says, it is about hackers. But its not "bad" hackers, its about a few young kids that use their computer knowledge to survive, a way of their lifestyle. All is well until they get framed and blamed. Then they get back at the people who framed them. This is not your average movie about people who's framed and then they plan a revenge. No this is a different movie, a different feeling all along through the movie. Its kind of hard to explain...... This is one of the best movies i have ever seen....anyway. All through the movie there's this cool feeling, a feeling of happiness and great pleasure. You feel like you want to be a part of the movie, a part of the colorful characters. Who it indeed has. And then there's the music, great music just right for the movie. If you have not seen it.....DO IT. P.S. forgive my bad English :-)
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie EVER!
vestan_p30 March 2001
Well, here it is folks, I think it's been long enough since hackers came out (6 years+), so I am going to offer what I think will be the definitive commentary on the film "Hackers." Simply put, Hackers is the finest movie ever. The music, the costumes, the dialog... if you could put FUN in a box (not to mention Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie) the box would say "Hackers" on it. If this movie were a president, it would Hackraham Lincoln. If it were a gum, it would be Hackalicious... you get the picture.

Anyhow, the really important thing I have to say is this:

A.) Hackers is NOT a "B-movie"; the budget was large and the actors have major talent; it's a slick production, and it shows.

B.) Contrary to the belief of some cyber-dorks out there (who mainly get their jollies by pretending they know more than other people about computers) it doesn't matter if the computer interface is somewhat unrealistic. Obviously, there are some classic "movie" style computer screens (a la 1995's other horrible computer flick "The Net (of crap)"), but lest I seem like a broken record, I will repeat for the entertainmentally challenged THIS IS A MOVIE!

C.) Are you kidding me? This stuff is great! I can watch this movie forever (and believe me, I have) and NEVER EVER get tired of it. C'mon, this stuff is just classic, listen here to some dialogue:

(spoken with much gusto:) "Yeah, it's got a killer refresh rate."

"Risc is good."

"Never fear, I is here."

IT'S SO CLASSIC IT HURTS!

Bottom line, if you wanna be a nerd, go program something. If you want to be entertained, get this movie, NOW!
24 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated and magnificently done! Angelina shines.
PessimisticGrace27 August 2001
When I went in to watch Hackers, I was worried because some of

the reviews here.

I don't think we saw the same movie. From scene one, I was

surprised the characters were teenagers. I knew Angelina was

only 19 or 20 when she did this movie, but I hadn't realized that

until I saw it.

The romance and interaction between Angelina's character and

Jonny's is classic. Really. It's great. When they're arguing or

fighting or dreaming about each other spitefully, it's fun to watch

their little denying their attraction and criticizing one another. Before

Angelina Jolie, I did not have a favorite actress. I knew actresses I

liked several films of, but hated others.

Angelina Jolie is different. She's my favorite actress now. It's not

because she's pretty, although she is. It's because she has a

magnetism, charisma and draw that I've never before seen in an

actress of the 90's. This shows through in her portrayal of Kate

"Acid Burn" Libby. She's cocky and difficult, with a rebel charm

we've seen in many of this star's movies. If you love Angelina Jolie

for reasons OTHER than how large her chest is or nudity, please

see this. The performance may not have been academy award

winning, but it's a great performance. Very fun to see where she

started out.

The rest of the performances are also very good. Jonny's Dade

has a puppy dog charm, in that you feel sorry for him and can't help

but laugh when things don't go his way. He is in no way Mr. Deep,

but he's smart with a funny exterior.

Matthew Lillard never fails to make me laugh, and he's prominent

with his pigtailed braids and goofing off.

I must give kudos to the villain. Sure, nothing unpredictable or new.

But he's positively funny. "Never fear, I is here." And arrogant and

quirky.

I loved the special effects. I loved the plot. I loved the premise. I

loved the romantic relationship between Kate and Dade.

This is not an academy award winning movie. It's not extremely

dramatic or epic. But it sure is a GOOD movie. It's fun, it's a

comedy, it's a drama, and it's just great to watch. I very much

enjoyed the technology used, and the entire movie as a whole

made me smile.

If you are looking for an epic movie of high proportions with big

name actors and a hole-less plot, stay away.

But if you're looking for a movie that will make you smile at the

antics of the multi-dimensional characters and their escapades

and problems, set in a technological world and featuring a cute

teenage romance, go see it.

And if you love Angelina's acting, appeal, charisma and gorgeous

smile, don't see it. BUY IT. I know I will.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is so good
kcus1315 November 2003
Hackers is one of the coolest movies ever. There are great characters, costumes, and computers. There is the evil guy (who is incredibly cool) who rides around on a skateboard, the main good hackers who all have souped up mac laptops with mad crazy cool graphics on them, and the crazy japanese people as well as the people that don't really fit into the hacking world. Hackers is very much fun to watch and anyone who didn't like this movie may be lacking in taste in awesome movies or a sense of humor or both. Incredible fun fun!
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad, Worse, Hackers
poljanfinegan29 October 2005
Hackers is a horror flick for everybody, that knows at least a little bit about computers. Young people, bursting with sex appeal are living almost underground and preaching rebel computer philosophy... They are hacking with gigabit connection, so that the nice animations of a broken fire walls and virtual rooms with databases and folders can load on their screens for the sake of the public. They use a laptops to hack from the top of the buildings, from the roofs, from the subways - because the laptop is such a powerful tool (in movies hackers almost always use laptops) - this device is meant to display "ACCESS GRANTED"! And the fight between the automated machines that change movies in the TV station office? Give me a freaking break! I rate this movie 2 for some shocking stupidity and frightening inadequacy.

P.S. If you don't know anything about the way internet and computers work - it's a nice teen crime/comedy - 4.5/10
26 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A right old Jolie
redkiwi30 December 2001
More like a very young Angelina Jolie stars in hackers, a tale of a bunch of kids who hack into systems and networks for fun.

It does drag on a bit, but there's some good performances, a perfectly respectable script and some good directing. Unlike other computer films, this isn't full of too much BS and some of the technical stuff is believable -- nice change!
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my fave movies EVER!!
renaldo and clara12 March 2001
(2nd com. on this film)

This movie, along with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Real Genius, The Crow, Manon des Sources, Empire of the Sun, Rushmore goes down as one of my fave movies of all time.

Why? It never falters; it's ALWAYS entertaining. Just like the above films, which vary in genre, it is completely engrossing, and it is all the elements in the movie woven together in a finely-crafted fabric that is Hackers.

Hackers is laughed at by "real" computer hackers. Let them laugh. I don't even need to explain myself, but as a previous reviewer so brilliantly realized, was that the screen-saver-"like" images that pop up on the screen are actually what they see in their minds; the pieces of a puzzle coming together. I think it's brilliant; I've never seen that tactic used in a film before. And even if the images weren't meant to be a digital composite of the hackers' minds, I don't care. The computer nerds don't have to watch this film.

Hackers is total cult potential and cooler than most other cult films. It's a really funny flick; Angelina Jolie is probably getting better at acting in dramatic roles, but in my opinion, this is her BEST type of role. Sassy. Smart. Buff, but ballsy. Rabid, but cute! Short-haired...... She's in her element here. Ihad (AND I AM TOTALLY SERIOUS) absolutely NO earthly IDEA that Johnny Lee Miller was a Brit. He pulls off such a good Seattle accent here. I loved the Hispanic who played Phreak, he was so cool. Then, of course, there's Matt Lillard, and the others. But nothing next to Angelina Jolie. She is perfect in her techno hair, flare, and attitude. (ANGELINA JOLIE SHOULD WEAR THESE CLOTHES EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!)

ANYWAYZZZZZZZ------ I'm sure most of you reading have probably already seen it, but let me assure to those of you who haven't:

1) This is NOT a B movie! No F___N WAY!!

2) You will glamourize the use of computers and techno style once you're done watching this.

3) It's soundtrack will swallow you whole.

4) I'm a straight girl and I thought Angelina Jolie was the sexiest thing on the planet when I saw this film!

Hope my points are tantalizing enough to persuade y'all!

-ciao
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The people who made this film, should consider buying a computer
ArneNo110 January 1999
First of all: The movie does not rate "Hackers" as bad guys, but then again, neither does the good, old "Wargames" feat M. Broderick. One positive comment.

The movie depicts a computer environment far from what is reality, and what makes is even worse is the *frantic* use of technical computer terms. Like RAM or Pentium i.e.

As to my knowledge the crew made a decent background survey on the "Hacker community", prior to writing the script. What is unbelievable to me, is how much they failed. Even "The Net", feat. Sandra Bullock, has a better grasp on reality. This movie just has to become a "Cult" movie for all those who doesn't know a computer from a Toaster.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Compelling Subject Matter, Wasted With Cheesy Plot
great_sphinx_4221 June 1999
I think this is a movie that can only be described as mediocre. It's not embarrassingly bad, but it's far from great. First, it's good points: energy, hackers make intriguing subjects, and fairly interesting, likable protagonists. It's bad points: a "Superman"-like plot master-minded by a supremely cheesy villain. The effects got annoying after a while, and there was plenty of "information" about computers that was not accurate. I"m not sorry I saw it, but I wish someone would make a movie that would be a correct portrayal of hackers. Then again, computer technology goes so fast that such a movie would likely be very dated before its release.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High on attitude, not on story
Mr-Fusion17 December 2015
I'm pretty sure I was the target age for this movie back in '95, but "Hackers" seemed to come and go with little fanfare. And then, for no discernible reason, it didn't reappear on my radar for another 20 years. And at 34, it's not really my cup of tea; partly because it's got undiluted '90s in its DNA and hackers-as-MTV-youth-culture, but mostly because it takes forever to get cooking. It's a movie that has to make up a lot of its cyber-speak because the future wasn't so clear back then (it's understandable; a lot of TV shows were doing the same thing), and it almost compensates with an aggressive pop style . . . but until our main ensemble discovers the virus, it's kind of a slog.

Hollywood's done much better in the cyberspace department, and "Hackers" is maybe a step or two above "Disclosure" fare.

Count me out.

4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uh, what?
dkennert18 February 2005
Granted, I'm tainted, but as someone who works in IT they could not have come up with more HOKEY computer lingo/scenarios/special effects if they tried. Oh, wait.....they did use the word "Unix" once or twice, and I think I actually heard "kernel," and didn't "Crash Overdrive" say something about "/usr/bin" once? To that, I say, "/dev/null," the real take away from this tragic insult to real live uber-geeks.

And the stooopid banter between Bracco and everyone else? You've GOT to be kidding me.

I guess realism wasn't an objective; instead, it was to showcase 20 year old (pre-surgery) Jolie-booty.

What a waste of 107 minutes...
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dissenting opinion
kbeartxs23 September 2006
I feel compelled to offer my take on this film.

I found it unwatchable - well, I watched about half of it and then turned it off.

All the other reviews give it way too much of a break, IMO.

The sheer number of inaccuracies, stereotypes, and clichés is overwhelming, and cumulatively destroyed my ability to suspend my disbelief.

The acting is OK, and the overall production is not bad.

Maybe it's b/c I'm a middle-aged geek and not a teenager anymore, so that the 'coolness' of the subject did not make up for the substandard screenplay.
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.