Hackers (1995) Poster

(1995)

Caution: movie may be better than it appears...
kergillian25 May 2001
Hackers is a non-stop cheeze-fest. It's also one of my favourite films of all time. Which is not to say it's a perfect ten, it isn't. But it's a great combination of good cheeze and pure fun. Suspend all disbelief, it's not about realism. And try not to nitpick (we all know graphics would not have been possible using Unix, we all know that those archaic modems couldn't run that fast, etc. etc. etc.)

That aside, this film is really funny. It also laughs at itself on a regular basis...I mean just look at dade's wardrobe, and then remind yourself that you know half a dozen people who dressed like that in 94. I know a people who mirror just about every character in this film, which makes it even more enjoyable.

The dialogue is often over the top, and some of the acting is overdone, but tis the nature of the beast. Jonny Lee Miller (who never ceases to amaze me) pulls off the American accent quite well (though he tends to slip on occasion) and Dade is certainly no Sickboy. But that's just an example of range (he did it again in Dracula 2000...and almost saved it). Matthew Lillard, though occasionally OVERLY annoying, is perfect as Cereal Killer; his best role ever, though Scream comes close. Renoly Santiago is a funny and loud Phantom Phreak, a role only second to his role in Con Air, and his lines are always great; and Laurence Mason as the ultra-cool Lord Nikon a very close tie with Tin-Tin in The Crow for coolness (and he's done some *cool* spots...Floyd D in True Romance (not to be confused with Brad Pitt's character 'Floyd';) and Roach in an awesome ep. of Law & Order...) his character is by far the coolest of the Elite. Lorraine Bracco in a *very* early role...and speaking of *early* - Early Edition's Fishe Stevens is amusing as the arrogant swine Eugene 'The Plague' Belford. And how can one not like a film with Penn Jillette in it???

But all that aside, Angelina Jolie stole the show (as she often does). Looking like a cyber-elf straight out of ShadowRun, she's sultry and sexy in a way most actresses these days can't manage. I can't think of any films I haven't liked her in...even if I didn't like the films themselves. She's simply awesome here, she even takes bad dialogue and turns it into fun, good lines. And *her* outfits are really nice, save for that horrid dress she was stuck in at the end. And she has a Massive Attack startup on her puter!! (with a 28.8 bps modem!! ;p~~~)

Overall: sure it's unrealistic. Sure half of it's impossible. Sure it's overacted and the dialogue needs work. But the cast are all under-rated, and most of them went on to better roles, some to much fame. And the soundtracks are absolutely AMAZING!! I own them and listen regularly... This should probably rate a four or five, but I can't help but ignore all critics and pronounce myself as one of the large cult following of adorers of this film. For fun value, let alone the fact that it's entertaining as hell: 8/10.
217 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and Entertaining
knicksfan12_20003 June 2004
First off I would just like to say that anyone who reads into this movie too much(ie try to take the validity of each and every aspect of the movie) will hate the film. Coming from a programmer and a computer enthusiast, the movie was great despite all the false statements, fake guis and totally bs methods of cracking. Quite frankly if you are one of my fellow computer geeks don't expect anything close to the real deal, it would never make a good movie for the public. I think that the true movie here is behind the whole "hacking" front. It is the development of characters the build up of a plot and an exciting climax and satisfying denouement. In closing, don't expect a command line prompt or a true UNIX client on any of the systems because it just doesn't happen in movies. Instead watch the movie because its exciting, fun and a great throwback to the early 90's.
109 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of fun to watch
tom_dimaggio28 October 2008
I'm working in IT for over 10 years now, and let's be clear: Hackers is a movie, .. there's nothing real about the "hacking" going on in the movie.

There's a few scenes that are horribly done (for today's standards) but all in all I loved the movie. The acting is OK, the soundtrack is great and it changes for the everlasting "chliché" of the IT Nerd.

It's a movie that could surprise you, especially with the amount of bad movies being released nowadays. It's funny to see Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie at the beginning of their careers as well.

If you're looking for light entertainment for one evening, ...
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
morgandorfer6110 July 2000
I happen to like this movie because it is just fun to watch. If I'm bored, I can easily become unbored by watching this movie. The soundtrack is awesome and it introduced me to electronic music. I never liked it until I saw "Hackers". I love the clothes and the visuals. I knew it wasn't accurate from the minute I saw it, but then again, it's not like it was posing itself as some movie that depicted the real life of cyberpunks. It's just fun little movie. Though some of the dialogue is a bit cheesed up, it is quotable.

I especially enjoyed the performance by Matthew Lillard. It made me look forward to seeing him in "Scream" later on. He is so funny. I enjoyed Angelina Jolie, though this is hardly one of her best performances.

The only person who really didn't belong in this movie was Lorraine Bracco. She just looked strange in her role. Other than that, this movie was a good movie and it shouldn't be bashed because it depicts people, technology, and life inaccurately. What movie ever does? I'm from Iowa and do you think movies depict Iowan's lives exactly the way they are? No. But I'm not out to fertilize the lawn with "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?".
51 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, Fun movie...
TheSecondQuest8 August 2000
This flick came out during my freshman year of high school, pretty much everyone who saw it that I knew had a blast watching it, and in fact saw it several times in the theater (one fellow saw it about 6 times i think). While the computer screens depicted aren't realistic so to speak (I'll get to that in a moment) it was exciting, and made computers exciting again, it also didn't hurt the fact that everyone I knew used Macs just like the Hackers in the movie, so as you can imagine, it inspired many of us to see if we had the potential to do similar things but ultimately gave up (popping in a few CD-ROM games was much more entertaining;;) ). Anyways, now I own the film on DVD and I believe I've come to a revelation regarding the computer screens shown in the film...what we see is not what is actually happening on the screen, what they're showing us is what the hackers are doing, as visualized in their mind, they picture the data on the screen in a way in their head where it comes together, and what we see is that picture in their head, if maybe only an enhanced picture...anyways, thought I'd share that.

Oh, and isn't it funny to see computer geeks drooling over a laptop with a 28.8 modem?::)
35 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Out-of-Date, Tech Mistakes, but WHAT A CAST!
cariart18 November 2003
The problem with any movie that focuses on technology, particularly computers, is that it will become dated nearly immediately. This isn't a new problem for filmmakers; great films of the past, from DESK SET to COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT, from DEMON SEED to TRON and THE LAST STARFIGHTER have all featured 'cutting-edge' technology that seems quaint, by today's standards. Even 'Hal', from the timeless classic 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY, is a huge monstrosity that could be miniaturized to a fraction of it's size, today. So when a film's whole theme involves computers, like THE NET, or HACKERS, you can't take the technology end too seriously, even if much of it is bogus, as is the case of Iain Softley's paean to teen-aged computer freaks. Hackers are, of course, not romantic, adventurous daredevils who are trying to right wrongs by attacking evil conglomerates via an expertise in computer programming; they are generally over-educated anarchists who create worms and viruses for the simple joy of seeing the disruption and destruction of EVERYONE'S computers, just to know that they can do it.

Having said this, let me say that the true joy of HACKERS is seeing a group of young 'Stars in the Making', early in their careers. Of course the most recognizable and famous of these is Angelina Jolie, who looks butch and adorable with short hair, and 'an attitude', but the film also offers a dazzling performance by Matthew Lillard (Shaggy in the live-action SCOOBY-DOO), who has become one of the finest young comic actors around; gifted British actor Jonny Lee Miller, playing an American, here, who would go on to TRAINSPOTTING, DRACULA 2000, and the title role in the TV production of BYRON; Jesse Bradford, star of last year's CLOCKSTOPPERS; Laurence Mason (BEHIND ENEMY LINES, A.I.); and Renoly Santiago (CON AIR). Quite an impressive resume for a cast of 'unknowns' in 1995!

Of course, the established actors of the film haven't done badly, either...While Fisher Stevens never became a 'major' star, after the build-up television and the SHORT CIRCUIT films gave him, he still remains active; and of course, Lorraine Bracco went on to THE SOPRANOS, as the Mafia's favorite 'shrink' (with the possible exception of Billy Crystal).

So, if you skip over the dated attempt to be 'cutting edge', and just sit back and enjoy the performances, HACKERS is a fun movie that can be appreciated as a 'Preview of Coming Attractions' from a remarkable cast...
89 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light hacker fantasy
michaeljhuman25 April 2012
Obviously this movie is not an academy award winner. So it's going to score or not score points solely based on entertainment value.

Here's why I rate it a 7...

* The music - a great soundtrack, if you enjoy the era and genre ( Prodigy being one of the coolest bands featured) * The characters - They are all fun - especially Cereal Killer and the phone phreak guy * A pretty hot Angelina Jolie * The dialog - Some of it is pretty amusing, if you don't take the movie seriously * The overall presentation - I enjoy the signs of the time; grunge music posters, early virtual reality, etc; I enjoy the attempts at portraying what goes on inside of a computer even though it's totally wrong * I enjoy the attempt of the movie to be technical. Especially amusing is the discussion of Kate's laptop..."It has a killer refresh rate", lol; You kind of have to laugh at such things; They get some things right though. Like calling the compiler design book the Dragon book...it was named that when I was in college

Obviously weak is the portrayal of computers and hacking. As a computer professional, I can still live with it. Movies rarely get any of this stuff right, so you just put up with these things.

The plot is quite weak. But what do you expect? It suffices as a vehicle for the situations, dialog and music.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So what if it is unrealistic... It's still fun to watch.
morrigan-817 September 2000
Ok, I've read lots of the reviews here. I'm a computer person by trade, and I'll agree that the effects, and even some of the terminology is WAY off. But that's not the point of this movie. It never claims to be a documentary, just a fun movie about good vs. bad, and good wining. It just happens to take place over the internet. I think that this movie has just gotten a bump rap, it's the perfect B movie for lazy Saturday nights...
36 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the hack?
eclay-0817215 August 2019
Oh 90s, how i will forever love and miss you. Thanks to amazon prime, i had the pleasure of watching yet another 90s hidden jewel. Now i'm sure i saw this somewhere in my near 30 year existence but oh well. I'll be watching this one a lot more.

Anyways, HACKERS, a crime film directed by Lain Softley and starring A young Angelina Jolie as kate Libby, a student at the same high school as the films lead, Dade Murphy, played by Jonny Lee Miller. Dade is freshly 18 years old and just got off probation for a computer hack he did when he was younger.

He slowly starts to toy with computers again, being the first thing he does when he turns 18. He quickly warms up to the crowd at his school when he starts showing off his hacking skills to the others. He eventually starts hanging out with Libby aka Acid Burn. Emmanuel aka Cereal Killer, who is played by the awesome Matthew lillard. There are others, but lets move on.

In a moment of stupidity, one of the younger hackers hacks into a place that...well lets just say, wrong place, wrong time. What follows is a plot uncovered, people getting arrested and all other kinds of tom-fuckery.

This causes Dade and the others attempting to clear their names and take down a greedy hacker named Eugene "The Plague" Belford, played by Fisher Stevens. I swear that dude was born to play snake type characters. He always looks evil and i don't know. you just don't wanna trust him or get near him.

You get my point.

As usual, i'm not going to spoil much. If you wanna know more go watch it.

I honestly had very little to complain about with this film. To me, this looks like a film that didn't take itself to seriously and just wanted to have fun. I can get behind that. Acting wise, everyone did an awesome job. Whether it was the new guy, hot chick, annoying little brother type, whatever was cast, was cast well.

The acting highlights for me was Cereal Killer and the plague. These were the craziest characters all the way and you can tell Lillard and Stevens had a lot of fun playing these guys. OF course i like Angelina Jolie. Her performance isn't anything to be wowed but still fun and she was still coming into her own back in the early-mid 90s.

Story is of course cheezy 90s at it's best. Directing, editing and cinematography looked pretty good. Have to watch it again to catch any errors. Effects wise, there were a few bad green screen effects here and there. Nothing too bad.

I think that's it folks. Another movie watched, another world explored. Wish i would have had this in my collection sooner. If i could travel back and be apart of these movies. ;-)

I give HACKERS a 9/10.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to be overjoyed with a 28.8 BPS modem
athame18 July 2001
It doesn't take a very good movie critic to see that the movie doesn't really have a really interesting plot with interesting characters. A group of teenagers doing things they really shouldn't, getting into trouble and saving themselves again. And in the mean time a sub-plot which involves a girl and a guy that hate each other in the beginning and fall in love with each other throughout the movie. Nonetheless, i still rated this movie very high. Why? because in my opinion it's still a great cult classic. It gives a very good image about how people thought about computers a few years ago when not everybody had one yet. The handlenames are mysterious ("acid burn" "the plaque") but would be ridiculous in this age. People are overjoyed when they get to see a 28.8 BPS modem (who needs T3 anyway? ;) PLUS they pretend as if you can see a program running like it's some sort of great graphic animation. Angelina Jolie and Jonny lee Miller (from trainspotting) are really great in this movie although you can see they're still pretty young and unexperienced. 9/10
46 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't help it. I loved it.
version227 February 1999
Although not very accurate, it is an excellent film. On the other hand, I am a sucker for Angelina Jolie so that might be the reason why I loved it. I recommend catching this one when it is on or renting it. Well worth it.
46 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High on attitude, not on story
Mr-Fusion17 December 2015
I'm pretty sure I was the target age for this movie back in '95, but "Hackers" seemed to come and go with little fanfare. And then, for no discernible reason, it didn't reappear on my radar for another 20 years. And at 34, it's not really my cup of tea; partly because it's got undiluted '90s in its DNA and hackers-as-MTV-youth-culture, but mostly because it takes forever to get cooking. It's a movie that has to make up a lot of its cyber-speak because the future wasn't so clear back then (it's understandable; a lot of TV shows were doing the same thing), and it almost compensates with an aggressive pop style . . . but until our main ensemble discovers the virus, it's kind of a slog.

Hollywood's done much better in the cyberspace department, and "Hackers" is maybe a step or two above "Disclosure" fare.

Count me out.

7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Film Counterpart to 'Neuromancer'
james-obeirne21 July 2008
In general, the movie's atmosphere is a granular, electronic shade of absolute cool. The characters, though arguably thin, are larger than life, heroic, admirable, and extremely likable. You want to be Dade Murphy (Miller). You want to flirt with Kate Libby (Jolie). You want to know everyone else in the film. The story is linear; but thing is, that serves to aid the movie in a multitude of ways. The non-complex plot acts as a vehicle for character development, style, and a great soundtrack.

I'm a student of computer science, so obviously I can see how shoddy the technical underpinnings of some of the material are, but honestly, that has no effect on my enjoyment of this movie. The film almost acknowledges its unrealistic use of special effects with various hints dropped throughout the movie that would be lost on laymen, like the Metropolis poster in Kate's bedroom, the mention of various (in)famous pieces of technical literature, "hacking a Gibson", and Plague's use of the alias "Babbage". Where it can afford to, this movie has a pretty good grasp on hacker culture, so don't crap a bird and check your petty skepticism at the door; the movie is using visual metaphors to depict the intricacies of "hacking" to people who wouldn't be able to understand them otherwise, and it does it in a fun, stylistic way.

I have no doubt that seeing this movie at a young age cultivated my admiration for not only computing (and Angelina Jolie), but New York City as well. The film portrays the island of Manhattan as a sprawling, wired playground that never sleeps, rife with energy; a breathing invitation to stay out all night, win the girl, and hack the world around you.

The DVD cover sure as hell doesn't make it apparent, but this film is about the closest (and likely best) adaptation of William Gibson's cultural fission, Neuromancer, that you'll ever find. If you enjoyed this book, seek this movie immediately, and vice versa.

From the minute the flick starts, it yanks you in. Every time. You can't take Hackers completely seriously, and it knows that, so just have a good time and let the movie inspire you to question the rules and emerge a hero.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most
as with most films ive seen- ive read the book first. Hackers was brillantly made as was the book written they compliment each other well, true it differs slightly but then again reading and watching promote two different understandings, illiterates have to be able to get out of the film what the book offers but have it spelt out in a basic happy way, bookworms have to be able to 'read between the lines' and get all the writers input. comparing one against the other i would have to admit for once the film does the book a hell of alot of justice. even the soundtrack which is good doesnt bring down or make the movie (see my comment on the matrix) it compliments it. True most people know Johnny Lee Miller as Sick boy, but still b films are always worth a try in fact all the hype could of quite possibly suffocated this innocent beauty (perhaps a bit romeo and juliet romance). The computer talk may confuse some but the story line is obvious. Every little character gives this film that touch, i have and will continue to watch Hackers continuously, and one day i hope it will be recognised as an all time classic.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant Movie
Scouserboy22 July 2003
I watched this movie by accident but i am glad i did. it is not a well known movie but i think it is great. the plot is stupid and unbelieveable but it is really enjoyable. i am not a big fan of Johnny Lee Miller but even in this he is good. it also is the first time i saw Angelina Jolie who in this is good. in all good performances all round and good movie
28 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie EVER!
vestan_p30 March 2001
Well, here it is folks, I think it's been long enough since hackers came out (6 years+), so I am going to offer what I think will be the definitive commentary on the film "Hackers." Simply put, Hackers is the finest movie ever. The music, the costumes, the dialog... if you could put FUN in a box (not to mention Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie) the box would say "Hackers" on it. If this movie were a president, it would Hackraham Lincoln. If it were a gum, it would be Hackalicious... you get the picture.

Anyhow, the really important thing I have to say is this:

A.) Hackers is NOT a "B-movie"; the budget was large and the actors have major talent; it's a slick production, and it shows.

B.) Contrary to the belief of some cyber-dorks out there (who mainly get their jollies by pretending they know more than other people about computers) it doesn't matter if the computer interface is somewhat unrealistic. Obviously, there are some classic "movie" style computer screens (a la 1995's other horrible computer flick "The Net (of crap)"), but lest I seem like a broken record, I will repeat for the entertainmentally challenged THIS IS A MOVIE!

C.) Are you kidding me? This stuff is great! I can watch this movie forever (and believe me, I have) and NEVER EVER get tired of it. C'mon, this stuff is just classic, listen here to some dialogue:

(spoken with much gusto:) "Yeah, it's got a killer refresh rate."

"Risc is good."

"Never fear, I is here."

IT'S SO CLASSIC IT HURTS!

Bottom line, if you wanna be a nerd, go program something. If you want to be entertained, get this movie, NOW!
30 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated and magnificently done! Angelina shines.
PessimisticGrace27 August 2001
When I went in to watch Hackers, I was worried because some of

the reviews here.

I don't think we saw the same movie. From scene one, I was

surprised the characters were teenagers. I knew Angelina was

only 19 or 20 when she did this movie, but I hadn't realized that

until I saw it.

The romance and interaction between Angelina's character and

Jonny's is classic. Really. It's great. When they're arguing or

fighting or dreaming about each other spitefully, it's fun to watch

their little denying their attraction and criticizing one another. Before

Angelina Jolie, I did not have a favorite actress. I knew actresses I

liked several films of, but hated others.

Angelina Jolie is different. She's my favorite actress now. It's not

because she's pretty, although she is. It's because she has a

magnetism, charisma and draw that I've never before seen in an

actress of the 90's. This shows through in her portrayal of Kate

"Acid Burn" Libby. She's cocky and difficult, with a rebel charm

we've seen in many of this star's movies. If you love Angelina Jolie

for reasons OTHER than how large her chest is or nudity, please

see this. The performance may not have been academy award

winning, but it's a great performance. Very fun to see where she

started out.

The rest of the performances are also very good. Jonny's Dade

has a puppy dog charm, in that you feel sorry for him and can't help

but laugh when things don't go his way. He is in no way Mr. Deep,

but he's smart with a funny exterior.

Matthew Lillard never fails to make me laugh, and he's prominent

with his pigtailed braids and goofing off.

I must give kudos to the villain. Sure, nothing unpredictable or new.

But he's positively funny. "Never fear, I is here." And arrogant and

quirky.

I loved the special effects. I loved the plot. I loved the premise. I

loved the romantic relationship between Kate and Dade.

This is not an academy award winning movie. It's not extremely

dramatic or epic. But it sure is a GOOD movie. It's fun, it's a

comedy, it's a drama, and it's just great to watch. I very much

enjoyed the technology used, and the entire movie as a whole

made me smile.

If you are looking for an epic movie of high proportions with big

name actors and a hole-less plot, stay away.

But if you're looking for a movie that will make you smile at the

antics of the multi-dimensional characters and their escapades

and problems, set in a technological world and featuring a cute

teenage romance, go see it.

And if you love Angelina's acting, appeal, charisma and gorgeous

smile, don't see it. BUY IT. I know I will.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forget everything you know about computers, take a hallucinogen, press play.
Joern27 February 1999
It was the last thing on before my local broadcaster would shut down for the night. The other channel had an infomercial for some sort of abdominal muscle improvement gadget; I stayed with "Hackers" and for some inexplicable reason I'm glad I did.

How many plots are there? This one is just another variation on boy meets girl, happy ending, good triumphs over evil. It's a safe commercial formula as long as the producers don't spend too much money on expensive talent or special effects; they did neither. So-so photography and machine gun editing attempted to raise this flick to music video standards. "Hackers" is going to date very quickly and will surely prove to be an embarrassment to anyone connected with it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful movie
erik_davidsson_200010 April 2004
As the title of the movie says, it is about hackers. But its not "bad" hackers, its about a few young kids that use their computer knowledge to survive, a way of their lifestyle. All is well until they get framed and blamed. Then they get back at the people who framed them. This is not your average movie about people who's framed and then they plan a revenge. No this is a different movie, a different feeling all along through the movie. Its kind of hard to explain...... This is one of the best movies i have ever seen....anyway. All through the movie there's this cool feeling, a feeling of happiness and great pleasure. You feel like you want to be a part of the movie, a part of the colorful characters. Who it indeed has. And then there's the music, great music just right for the movie. If you have not seen it.....DO IT. P.S. forgive my bad English :-)
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The people who made this film, should consider buying a computer
ArneNo110 January 1999
First of all: The movie does not rate "Hackers" as bad guys, but then again, neither does the good, old "Wargames" feat M. Broderick. One positive comment.

The movie depicts a computer environment far from what is reality, and what makes is even worse is the *frantic* use of technical computer terms. Like RAM or Pentium i.e.

As to my knowledge the crew made a decent background survey on the "Hacker community", prior to writing the script. What is unbelievable to me, is how much they failed. Even "The Net", feat. Sandra Bullock, has a better grasp on reality. This movie just has to become a "Cult" movie for all those who doesn't know a computer from a Toaster.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad, Worse, Hackers
poljanfinegan29 October 2005
Hackers is a horror flick for everybody, that knows at least a little bit about computers. Young people, bursting with sex appeal are living almost underground and preaching rebel computer philosophy... They are hacking with gigabit connection, so that the nice animations of a broken fire walls and virtual rooms with databases and folders can load on their screens for the sake of the public. They use a laptops to hack from the top of the buildings, from the roofs, from the subways - because the laptop is such a powerful tool (in movies hackers almost always use laptops) - this device is meant to display "ACCESS GRANTED"! And the fight between the automated machines that change movies in the TV station office? Give me a freaking break! I rate this movie 2 for some shocking stupidity and frightening inadequacy.

P.S. If you don't know anything about the way internet and computers work - it's a nice teen crime/comedy - 4.5/10
29 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is so good
kcus1315 November 2003
Hackers is one of the coolest movies ever. There are great characters, costumes, and computers. There is the evil guy (who is incredibly cool) who rides around on a skateboard, the main good hackers who all have souped up mac laptops with mad crazy cool graphics on them, and the crazy japanese people as well as the people that don't really fit into the hacking world. Hackers is very much fun to watch and anyone who didn't like this movie may be lacking in taste in awesome movies or a sense of humor or both. Incredible fun fun!
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That Movie Had to Get an Update Even Already Being Perfect the Way It Is
lefttodeath5 October 2019
Im an I.T guy from BRASIL, i saw this movie back in 1995 when i was almost 11 years old, and i had a 586 back there. Jesus this thing was crazy back there, all these new stuff, all those things punched hard on me, then, from time to time i watch it again, and every time i watch it, i come to understand that the guys who made it, were some big genious. Today i walk the streets and see too many ppl with diferent hair styles and cloths, we are not yet on the level of the cloths of this movie yet, some places are, but not everywheres. I saw too many bad reviews about the movie from ppl that claimed to be IT people, to these people i say: You People are nuts! People complaining about APIs, really? today we have too many free softwares with worst APis than we have on hackers, they did that way so people could related to it, try imagine Kate Libby writing her api so she could hack some stuff, this would be so boring! The movie introduce so many concepts and good ideias about the thing, the visuals we watch on the screen are to put in some perspective on whats going on, a column of data base adress for files where they find the trash file, things that looks like midllewares. the social hacking, calling to get a modem number or password, the public telephone signal, all those stuff exists in some point of our planet, they have to put some visual effect to it, anyways otherwise would be strange to people that doenst know anything about I.T; the worm thing, they draw a worm to represent the ideia. this movie is AWESOME. if u are a tech person and find this movie bad, sir u should reset your life and start again, the nintendo generation is powerfull today.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hack the planet!!!
mr-mcphee30 July 2015
Soundtrack: 9 Pulsating, funky mix of post-punk electronica. Just killer.

Costumes: 9 This isn't the way people actually dressed in the 90's, especially hackers, but who cares, the costumes just work.

Characters: 8 Great characters with their own personalities, a lot of energy in the main characters, and even though some characters play on old tropes (stuffy FBI agent, cartoonishly evil villain), at their worst, they still don't feel too clichéd.

Plot: 7 This movie manages to mix a few interesting plots into each other somewhat naturally. The main plot is a bit convoluted, and probably hard to understand to the average person, but actually makes sense, unlike what some critics said, and the competition between Crash and Burn is a great take on the love-hate relationship.

Cinematography and effects: 10 Thankfully relies a lot on practical effects to provide a totally fictional, but totally creative and beautiful, depiction of computers. Projecting the screens onto the actors faces, the super computer as translucent forest of structures, morphing the New York skyline into a circuit board; all amazing and novel.

In summary, not 100% true-to-life, but for the better. They simultaneously try to pay respect to real hacker culture at the time, while extrapolating it into a stylish and exciting universe. Unappreciated in its time, but a cult classic that still holds fans for a good reason.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Compelling Subject Matter, Wasted With Cheesy Plot
great_sphinx_4221 June 1999
I think this is a movie that can only be described as mediocre. It's not embarrassingly bad, but it's far from great. First, it's good points: energy, hackers make intriguing subjects, and fairly interesting, likable protagonists. It's bad points: a "Superman"-like plot master-minded by a supremely cheesy villain. The effects got annoying after a while, and there was plenty of "information" about computers that was not accurate. I"m not sorry I saw it, but I wish someone would make a movie that would be a correct portrayal of hackers. Then again, computer technology goes so fast that such a movie would likely be very dated before its release.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.