Clueless (1995) Poster

(1995)

Easy to like
FlickJunkie-211 February 2001
Director Amy Heckerling knows a thing or two about high school flicks, having directed the highly successful `Fast Times at Ridgemont High'. Heckerling put her talents to work thirteen years later for the next generation of high schoolers, writing and directing this hilarious satire of life at Beverly Hills H.S. Heckerling takes a different approach from `Fast Times', which found its comedy in the absurdity of reality, depicting situations into which teenagers really get themselves. Here Heckerling's comedy mostly comes from mocking the superficiality of the high school `in-crowd'. While this is not the first time this has been done, few have ever done it with such blistering wit. This film became the standard for a spate of 1990's high school flicks set on the west coast that borrowed many of its elements.

The story focuses on Cher Horowitz (Alicia Silverstone), who is the most popular girl at Beverly Hills H.S. Cher seems to be a superficial airhead, but this belies her conniving and manipulative skills at getting what she wants. Superficial yes, airhead no! In a plot derived in part from Jane Austen's `Emma', Cher works behind the scenes to arrange love matches between various students. She even orchestrates a relationship between two teachers to improve their moods so they don't grade so harshly. Like Emma, she is a master of love for everyone but herself.

Heckerling does a fantastic job of presenting what seems on the surface to be a cotton candy story with lightweight characters, but really runs much deeper revealing subtle truths about human nature. Her direction of the fledgling cast is superb, milking every ounce of comedy out of each scene.

Silverstone sparkles in the role, which is probably not far from a reality with which she is very familiar. She actually attended Beverly Hills H.S. with co-star Breckin Meyer, although she didn't graduate due to career commitments (she received a G.E.D.). This film catapulted her to teen prominence with two MTV movie awards and an American Comedy Award as funniest actress in a leading role. She plays Cher with both arrogance and vulnerability, and her comic timing is impeccable. She also has a knack for physical comedy, with a broad range of contorted facial expressions and amusing use of body language. The rest of the teen cast is also great, especially Brittany Murphy as Tai and Breckin Meyer as Travis. Dan Hedaya is also priceless as Cher's work obsessed attorney father.

This film is easy to like. It is a light and funny spoof, but it still has nuance. I rated it an 8/10. For those who enjoy high school comedies, this is required viewing.
69 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clueless: An near-perfectly updated classic
Flagrant-Baronessa17 August 2006
"Isn't my house classic? The columns date all the way back to 1972."

When romantic high-school comedy Clueless (1995) was released, it was immediately vaulted into cult-status and firmly stapled as one of the most original teen-flicks of the 1990s. 'Original' is perhaps a term wrongly applied since it is based on the queen of romance Jane Austen's Emma (1815) . But what Clueless did was update the classic story by coating it with high school drama, teenage girls and shopping and sprinkle it with heavy doses of humour.

Emma is no longer Emma; she is Cher (Alicia Silverstone), a spoiled rich girl walking around in her Beverly Hills mansion in a bubble of stereotypes and teen-clichés -- but with a great big heart. So big-hearted, in fact, that she takes on the lost goofy new girl in her school to find her love and popularity, knowing full-well that it could destroy her own reputation. Clueless thus sees Cher and her best friend Dionne (Stacey Dash) on a mission to do good. Real good.

All the detours this mission entail are captured brilliantly in the film, taking the form of love-interests, parties, shopping and misunderstandings. From Cher's grumpy lawyer-father (an hilarious Dan Hedaya) and her nerdy step-brother (a likable Paul Rudd) to her eccentric group of friends at school, Clueless is a superb ride of teenage comedy camp. Only just over 10 years old, it is still extremely dated today. But no matter, because the 90s clichés like skateboarding, Marky Mark and the catch-phrase "As if" just make it so much more contemporary and fun to watch.

What elevates Clueless (1995) above generic high school comedy is its use of stereotypes. In most films they are unintentionally there to create a subconscious effect, but in Clueless they are made fun of to a much higher degree -- they are overblown and glorious. It brutally satirizes rich kids and their 'problems' and juxtaposes them with a classic, heart-felt love-story. The kind that only Jane Austen can write.

75 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, charming and innocent
skhitles14 November 2000
This movie is another one of those feel good pictures you can't go wrong with. It's light and breezy like cruising the boulevard with the top down and it offers lots of laughs to boot.

Amy Heckerling has brought us another winner with a great supporting cast. A young teenage girl coming of age in of all places, Beverly Hills. The lead character, "Cher" played brilliantly by Alicia Silverstone, is a self centered high school girl in the beginning of the picture who's only interests include clothes, cars and credit cards. As the film progresses, she begins to mature and actually begins to care about other people, not to mention her environment. It's worth renting anytime. Just like "European Vacation" it doesn't matter how many times you see it, it still makes you laugh and that's worth it all.
66 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joyous and sparkling teen comedy
Catscanfly8 May 2005
This movie is way above so many of the others of its' kind. It's consumately likable, funny, sweet and sharp- the script is a killer, and the acting is fun and enjoyable.

Part of the success of the film is due to the fact that it appeals to several different audiences, and on multiple levels.

I first watched this movie with my mom, who loved the link it has to Jane Austen's Emma- all the main characters and the plot are direct modern equivalents to the novel. For instance, the famous passage in Emma inwhich Harriet burns all her "mementos" of Mr. Elton becomes the scene where Tai does so infront of Cher's gasfire. From this perspective alone, the movie is so fun and sharp to watch- even if your forte isn't usually American Teen High School comedy!

But this movie works on a really dumbed down scale too- let's face it, not everyone is big on English literature. The movie has an awesome soundtrack, Paul Rudd is unbelievably cute as "Mr Knightly" or rather Josh- and my boyfriend leads me to believe that the same is true of Alicia Silverstone- who still sparkles 10 years later as a mid-nineties teen queen with good intentions, Cher. Her performance here is impossible not to warm too, unless you have some sort of grudge against Valley girls, inwhich case you might not like it so much. Seriously though, this film is a must see for anyone who likes some real quality comedy- I'm so fond of this film personally that I would suspect basically everyone would enjoy it.
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good fun, but that's all
tazmaniac809 March 2003
I've seen this teen movie countless times, and it's still enjoyable to watch. The jokes do wear thin after several viewings, but it is still a funny film. The cast are all very good, although I do find Brittany Murphy slightly irritating. The plot isn't very deep, but at least it is there, as many teen movies lack this vital feature. I am a little worried about the characters only being 15/16 and acting extremely maturely for their ago, however that seems to be the only problem with this movie.

10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Excellent Modern Teen Adaptation Of Austen's 'Emma'
Chrysanthepop11 August 2008
Just the other day I watched Heckerling's wonderful romantic comedy satire 'I Could Never Be Your Woman' and I thought I'd revisit 'Clueless'. The last time I saw it was 10 years ago and today I enjoyed it just as much. Heckerling's adaptation of Jane Austen's 'Emma' may appear like a fluffy teen flick on the surface but there is a lot more to it. It works on multiple levels and 'Clueless', in a way, is a social commentary as it reflects a reality that still exists in today's society. First of all, the teen life is very realistically portrayed albeit with a sarcastic tone (such as the striving for high grades, obsession with image and partying). It somewhat reminds me of 'Heathers' (another excellent teen satire). While 'Heathers' is a much darker film that looks at teens in the 1980s, 'Clueless' looks at the adolescents of the 90s. Moreover, Heckerling brilliantly uses different kid of comedies through one-liner and dialogue, situational, and slap stick.

Then the class distinction too is cleverly demonstrated through the eyes of Cher. The characters too work on multiple levels. Cher appears to be a popular stuckup bimbo type lass but once Hecklerling allows us to dig a little deeper, we see that she is unintentionally manipulative and knows how to use her strength (her power of persuasion). Yet, she is good at heart and even though her initial intentions of getting the two teacher together was to get an A grade, she's happy with the outcome of her matchmaking and the acts that follow are with more sincere purpose. Tai too appears to be the dumb new girl but she is far more experienced than Cher and when opportunity strikes she makes a place for herself in 'society' (i.e, highschool).

Alicia Silverstone plays the part as though it was made for her. She has the right looks, age, excellent dialogue delivery and is a total natural in performing. 'Clueless' was the film that made her an overnight star and a very promising actress however, unfortunately, her following movies have been disastrous and the actress rapidly vanished into oblivion. She is supported by an equally great cast that includes a goofy Breckin Meyer, a weirdly fashioned but still gorgeous Stacy Dash, a naive Brittany Murphy, a laidback Paul Rudd, a hilarious Donald Faison, a bitchy Elisa Donovan and a fire breathing Dan Hedaya.

For me 'Clueless' is among the top teen films along with movies like 'Heathers'. Those who childishly dismiss it as a fluffy chick-flick don't know what they missed. I was watching '10 Things I Hate About You' which is an adaptation of Shakespeare's 'The Taming Of Thew Shrew' and while that film failed to engage me for the most parts, 'Clueless' succeeds in all departments because it's much more than just another teen flick. It's a highly entertaining satire and it's a nuanced teen comedy with a subtle social comment.
33 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cluey in spite of its cluelessness
Spleen22 January 2001
"Let's set 'Emma' in a modern high school!" Does this sound the obvious kind of movie gimmick that everyone uses nowadays? Perhaps, but it's an inspired idea all the same. Jane Austen's characters, and her readers, and the society in which her novels are set, like Jane Austen herself, are HEAVILY conscious of class and social standing. No atmosphere quite so snobbish exists in the modern world. EXCEPT, that is, in the corridors and courtyards of the right kind of high school. And where else in the modern world would you find so many people who seem to spend all their time calling on one another?

I was reminded of how well Heckerling moulded "Emma" to fit a modern setting when I saw the idiotic 1998 version of "Great Expectations", adapted by someone who somehow failed to notice how important all the stuff about class and snobbishness was. It's clear that Heckerling understood her source. She isn't afraid to make changes - even radical changes, if the modern setting requires as much - and no character exists MERELY because they have an analogue in Austen's novel. (The most crucial thing is that the Emma-equivalent be sufficiently charming; and so she is.) The result is a film which is winning and satisfying, whether or not you know anything about the source material.
73 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A refreshing change from the John Hughes/"Breakfast Club" generation
moonspinner5523 December 2001
A silky-smooth, vanilla-coated pleasure about matchmaking in modern-day high school. Far from the insufferable smugness of all those '80s teen-flicks, "Clueless" is bright--in both senses of the word--clever, funny, fanciful and yet grounded in reality (a rich one). Alicia Silverstone is adorable, but the supporting cast is affable and seemingly carefully-picked (they all get their share of funny lines and star-making scenes, particularly Dan Hedaya, superb as Silverstone's father). Seems more inspired by Jane Austen's "Emma" than based upon it, with a few mean-spirited lines but plenty of lightly innocent laugh-getters. *** from ****
52 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever spin on Austen's story with good satire and performances
MovieAddict201631 August 2005
Cher (Alicia Silverstone) is a popular ditz at her local high school in Beverly Hills. She's a spoiled, pampered little princess with all the right social connections and endless wealth. However she has yet to find a man in her life - all the Baldwins (as she and her clique of friends call guys they like) have been taken.

When Cher receives a foreign exchange student, she takes her under her wing and decides to try and find her a boyfriend - ironically without having her own yet. Predictability ensues.

I read "Emma" in early high school as I'm sure most kids did, and the movie puts a clever spin on the tale. Alicia Silverstone is surprisingly good in her role, perfectly playing a blond bombshell without a brain but a good heart - only Reese Witherspoon has done such a good job recently at portraying the west coast bimbos. (No offense to the west coast bimbos out there.) The movie's director, Amy Heckerling, has always been rather reliable on the whole and her direction is solid here - she could have turned "Clueless" into a crude, unfunny sex comedy with little wit or brains, but instead she takes a rather dubious idea for a film and transforms it into a well-made, well-acted, funny, inspired, lively, witty satire.

Much better than expected.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pleasant surprise
Travis_Bickle0122 August 2005
I wasn't expecting much of this movie, until I started seeing it. It turned out to be quite entertaining. "Clueless" is about the shallow and rather stupid rich girl Cher Horowitz, who only cares about herself and how popular she is. But then she starts this kind of 'project', together with her best friend. One of the aspects of this project is about making a new silly girl of their school look as 'cool' as they are. This 'silly' girl is very well performed by Brittany Murphy. I hardly recognized her!

The lead role is for Alicia Silverstone who gives an excellent performance as well. Furthermore there is another great performance Paul Rudd (who we also know as Phoebe's boyfriend in "Friends"). Also Dan Hedaya and Breckin Meyer (Road Trip) are funny.

Funny and very entertaining movie from the director of "Look Who's Talking (Too). Definitely worth watching!

7,5/10
35 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie - Worth Seeing at Least Once
layton0930 July 2013
Clueless is a romantic comedy about a group of extremely wealthy teens in Beverly Hills. Cher's (Alicia Silverstone) life revolves around clothes, boys and basically just getting whatever she wants. She can talk her way into or out of anything. Cher and her best friend Dionne (Stacey Dash) decide to make the new girl, Tai (Brittany Murphy), their project and make her as popular as they are. Soon Cher realizes she is the one who actually needs a makeover; only she needs to makeover her soul. She emerges a more caring less clueless individual and finally has found herself that Baldwin she was looking for too.

This movie is a great coming of age film about a girl finally realizing that there are more things to life than shopping. Throughout the movie we get to watch and laugh as Cher develops into a far less clueless being than she was, although still pretty clueless. She matures as a character just as the kids of The Breakfast Club do. She actually reminds me of a modern Claire. The story line of the movies while different definitely has some similarities as well. The characters all realize that who you hang out with and where you come from are not as important as the person inside. Cher as well as The Breakfast Club all come out of their experience more mature and with some new great friends.

There is a scene where the camera zooms in on Cher as she is thinking of what everyone else does to contribute to the world. It gets in close so that you can her expression and that she truly wants to better herself. Then she says that she wants to help. She decides to head up the disaster relief campaign. I also think it shows a great enlightening moment for her when she is walking and she figures out that she loves Josh (Paul Rudd). All the lights from the fountain that light up behind her and then the music plays with the trumpets right before she looks into the camera. It really pulls you into the scene and makes you feel like it is a magical discovery that has hit her to her core. It changes her entire demeanor around him after this moment too. She gets fidgety and nervous. I think this scene is one of the turning points in Cher maturing as a character.

I think this film was a great way to combine a coming of age film with a comedy instead of just a regular drama. You got to watch Cher grow as an individual and get some laughs on the way. I think this movie is an overall good viewing experience.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My brief review of the film
sol-29 March 2005
A generally quite well made, enjoyably stylish and interesting matchmaking tale aimed at teen audiences, the film manages to incorporate a number of very clever parallels to Jane Austen's matchmaking novel 'Emma' while also providing a good satire on high school life. The idea is somewhat simplistic, the plot is sort of predictable, and the young performers all look too old for their teenage characters, but these are all minor vices against this strong entry for the teen flicks genre, with a surprisingly very realistic and actually almost heartfelt performance by Alica Silverstone to top it all off.
28 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"We might get Marky Mark to plant a celebrity tree."
utgard1416 August 2014
A fun teen comedy from Amy Heckerling, the director of the woefully overrated Fast Times at Ridgemont High and the first two Look Who's Talking movies. Clueless is the best thing she's ever done, in my opinion. It put Alicia Silverstone on the map. Well, that and Aerosmith videos. Silverstone is pitch-perfect as Cher, the role of her career. It's impossible not to like her in this movie. It's also pretty much the best thing Stacey Dash and Breckin Meyer ever did. Not to mention the first big role for Paul Rudd. As most everyone knows, it's based on Jane Austen's "Emma." For a teen comedy, it's refreshingly smart. The story may not be all that but there's lots of good dialogue rather than a string of F-bombs or Stifler-like characters. One of the few memorable '90s comedies.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Having finally watched the entirety of Clueless just now, I found it quite charming despite the now-dated references
tavm13 June 2013
Well, after nearly 20 years of only seeing certain scenes in this movie (I was working as an usher when this came out and snuck in some movie-watching time in between shows), I finally watched the whole thing with my mom just now on Netflix disc. In short, this was quite a funny movie about teens in the '90s with many of the now-dated references and cultural fashions not too much of a deterrent of a still-enjoyable story inspired by Jane Austen's novel Emma (though I can't believe those below-the-butt styles of today was actually quite the style then as well). Alicia Silverstone is both at her prettiest and charming in the lead role of Cher, the shallow teen thinking she's all that but also good at heart. Brittany Murphy is also great as Tai, the new girl who blossoms under Cher. Too bad her life was cut short a few years ago. And director Amy Heckerling, already an expert on depicting high school situations having previously helmed another classic called Fast Times at Ridgemont High, outdoes herself here as a writer as well with the material the cast is given. So on that note, Clueless comes highly recommended.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clueless/Emma
roseinbloom102312 December 2005
When I watched Clueless on TV I didn't realize that it was a parallel to Jane Austen's Emma, but I began to figure it out. I find it very funny that the character that is somewhat similar to Emma's Frank Churchill is gay, which of course he is not in the novel. Also very funny is that Cher's unrelated stepbrother is a parallel to Mr. Knightley which is Emma's cousin! And instead of Emma finding Harriet's farmer unworthy, its Cher finding Tai's skateboarder unworthy. These modern updates are pretty funny if you watch for them. Overall the novel was modernized very well, especially if you have read Emma or watched the film version.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original enough within its sort to consider this a good movie.
Boba_Fett11384 June 2012
With so many other high school comedies out there, this one definitely feels like a breath of fresh air, since it's taking a bit of a different approach, that works out as well.

High school comedies are either extremely goofy, or when they aren't, they are being complete annoying ones to watch, with its clichéd characters and standard story lines. This movie however feels like a different type of comedy. It still has all of the clichés in it and the movie has some silly comedy as well but it all is much more clever about with it. It actually has some good writing to it, even though the movie in essence is still being a formulaic one.

The story is all about the stuff that only was important at high school; being popular, having the right friends, dress properly, getting with the right boy/girl, struggling with grades and everything else in between of that. Normally stuff like his only annoys me in movies but in this movie it's all good and fun to watch. It's also because all of the characters are likable ones, so it's not punishment to follow them around in the story.

It besides has a good and pleasant pace to it, that keeps things going at all times. There is plenty of variety in the story as well and the movie doesn't just dwells on one or two story lines or characters. Looking back at it, it's quite amazing the amount of stuff they managed to get into this movie, also since it's only an about 90 minutes short movie.

This however also has as a result that some of the story lines are skipped over too quickly and end abruptly, while they potentially were some good and interesting story lines, with some likable characters involved. Also in essence, it really doesn't have a story that is going anywhere with anything. I can see how some people would call this an irrelevant and pointless movie to watch, though fact for me simply remains that this movie is a good watch and therefore alone is worth checking out already.

It's also being somewhat a social commentary to the '90's. Even though the movie itself got made in the mid-'90's, it still has the capability to look at it from a distance and even make fun of some of its odd stereotypes, such as its clothing.

It also is a movie with some good acting in it, which normally isn't really something that film-makers consider to be all that important for these type of movies. It's about looks only, for most of them but in this movie they managed to get together a bunch of solid actors as well. Alicia Silverstone is a great leading lady and it also was fun to see some now big name actors appear in this movie, in some of their earliest roles. I'm talking about actors such as Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Breckin Meyer and Jeremy Sisto. Quite an amazing cast list for an high school movie, in today's perspective.

An original and enjoyable enough movie within its genre!

4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
offers some clues about the future
lee_eisenberg10 November 2006
Teen comedies are quite common, but "Clueless" has going for itself the fact that it transposes Jane Austen's "Emma" to mid-'90s Beverly Hills and plays with stereotypes there. We see how air-head Cher Horowitz (Alicia Silverstone) may not have a clue about the rest of the world, but her heart is always in the right place - maybe a little too much. And of course, who can forget how the movie introduced to national dialogue phrases like "as if".

Overall, the movie functions as a sort of look at how the future would become. Maybe our society has gone too far in being like Cher. But anyway, it's just a great movie to watch. Also starring Dan Hedaya, Stacey Dash, and Brittany Murphy (happy birthday, Brittany!).

Spa-rat-acus...I bet that culturally devoid people probably would say that.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not, like, totally clueless
PinkBubbles26 July 2000
To me, this movie was just a lovable bit of overrated fluff.

It had a few moments. Its one liners. It had it's few laughs. Other than that, no thrills here.

This was another flick for the teenybooper audience, who are obsessed with Backstreet Boys, want to marry Leonardo DiCapprio, and want a life like these valley teens. I'll just leave it at that.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
high on wishful romanticism and low in adolescent toxin
lasttimeisaw19 April 2017
Transposing Jane Austen's EMMA to Beverly Hills, Amy Heckerling's 90s chick flick CLUELESS was a sleeper hit upon its release, spawned one less toothsome TV series, and has charmed its way with a cult following ever since.

What quintessentially demarcates this one from the derogative genre's other huge supply of glops? It must be its attitude, which is devoid of self-importance in spite of that the whole picture is built upon a milieu predominantly reeks of snobbery and superficiality, ornamented by a pleasurable dosage of self-mockery.

Our heroine is Cher (Silverstone), a 16-year-old high school girl seems to be privileged of everything (beauty, youth, wealth and sagacity: knows how to give a wide berth to her inane male peers and more than willing to save her virginity for the one she will fall in love with), who has an unusual down-to-earth streak and all she wants is to be a Good Samaritan, plays match-maker to her two teachers, and determines to help an awkward blow-in Tai (Murphy) to gain popularity, and her BFF Dionne (Dash) is also on board.

An unmistakable girl-power through-line sails alongside the film's polymorphic themes, ranging from adolescent crush (on a friend of Dorothy, a very spunky move to inject a positive vibe to the often sidelined minority), "he is not that into you" misunderstanding, chirpy school rivalry (a wonder at then where bullies are excluded within the context), to realize what/who a girl really wants (a corny epiphany under the fountain sending a homage to GIGI, 1958). A hiccup will duly arise, girls will squabble, but at the end of the day, for Cher, friendship is the real deal, in company with finding her Mr. Right (of course, no high-schoolers).

The recurring gag of "as if" might now sounds like a flea in the ear for all its affectation, but understandably, that also underlies its appeal, a spoiled blondie's unashamed mannerism nonetheless, the whole scenario is lubricated by a good-natured cause and propelled by a crescendo of emotional honesty, you have the irony, humor and eye-candies in one combo! Two decades on, it is somewhat bemusing that Alicia Silverstone hasn't catapulted into the A-list à la Emma Stone (nor is she led up the garden path à la Lindsay Logan either), her career would stick in a limbo ever since that ill-fated BatGirl offer. She has that "it" girl look and sweetness, and plies her shallow character with unstinting ammo of assurance and cutesy allure. The late Brittany Murphy, in her second film credit, also carries off an effervescent mien as the ugly duckling, a tad barmy, but not a shrinking violet steeped in lament.

Definitely capturing the teen spirit of 90s in America's posh sphere, and thanks to a cunning maneuver of its time-honored source story, CLUELESS is high on wishful romanticism and low in adolescent toxin, harmless refreshment to a weary soul.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful to the power of 85 000
Mad Dog McLagan2 March 2004
You know what I hate?L.A, stupid blonde bimbos, rich people, and humour that isn't funny no matter how frickin' hard it tries.That and a criminal waste of half-decent actors in what is really an act of puerile pantomime that has no right to be recorded on celluloid.

This film throws all of those truly awful ingredients together in a steaming cocktail of really, really, bad stuff.It expects us to give empathy and sympathy to a stupid blonde biatch who thinks she is, like, really smart and falls in love with, in the following order, a moron, a gay guy, and her step-brother.But in all case this is outweighed by her love for herself.

This film encourages blonde halfwits with walk-in wardrobes around the world to believe they have the power and right to do what they want and that they are superior.To countermand this I reccomend a mass-culling of all things blonde and teeny-boppy.Right now.
19 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An awful version of Emma
style_grrl13 April 2002
Amy Heckerling knows how to make movies for teens. Clueless was not only a hit with teenagers but it launched fashions and a new vocabulary for teens to use. Its loosely based on Jane Austen's Emma but its vulgar sensuality and profanity will offend many. We see the wealthy Cher transform from spoiled to a down to earth character. That's all, there's no message except to being a better person.

However the movie is a silly little piece of fluff. I wouldn't reccomend it. If you want to see a great film that's more true to Jane Austen's Emma, check out the 1996 film of Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow.

Or if you're a teenager you might want to check out Legally Blonde with Reese Witherspoon. Its a much better movie than Clueless.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst films ever made.
ChristianUnchained29 April 2013
This is yet again another trashy adaptation of Jane Austen's novel Emma. It features downright stupid performances and writing featuring a story that is, even with its "clever" spin on it, cliché and downright 90's. It's incredible how terrible this film has aged, as there is purely not one thing that made me laugh, care, or interested.

Actually, Clueless is just that. It is an emotionless smorgasbord of annoying ideas and teen angst that would be better left never considered and crafted into a film. A film is where we can explore the imagination of the director, experience convincing emotional reward from the cast, and be transported to a different world.

Clueless is completely the opposite. The characters are stupid, contrived, silly, and downright unlikeable. There's no artistic value in any of the shots, as it is stuck in that weird 90's limbo of "hey, the 90's are great, let's include everything that we think is great about the 90's in this film." Yeah, that will work, but nearly 20 years later and this film is just plain ugly and gross to look at. Plus, all of the drug and teen partying content is nasty. The last thing we want are girls growing up and watching this and saying "hey, going to parties, getting drunk, smoking weed (among other things) is a perfect way to become popular and find my soul mate!" Really. REALLY? People actually enjoy this dribble?

But I digress, just never ever see this film. While nothing is graphic or done strongly, the morals and messages that this film conveys are entirely too stupid to be believable, and I don't care if she changes her heart or becomes a better person or whatever.

Only a simpleton would live like Cher, much less like this film. It belongs in the 1990's garbage bin.
15 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Clueless' Is Correct
ccthemovieman-131 August 2007
This was "cute" for a while and then became too teener-bopper oriented for me. I guess if you are a 13-16-year-old female, you'd relate and like this film.

Sad to say, it's another film which gives poor messages to teens. Hey, kids....want to have casual sex? No problem....go for it! Nice. Leave it the ultra--Liberal and moral bankrupt world of film making. Clueless is a good title for people who make films like this, not just the lead character in the movie.

According to Hollywood, being a teen - as shown in this movie -- revolves only around your social life, plastic surgery, cellphones, drugs and sex. It's all made nice and surgery by having the pretty and sweet-looking Alice Silverstone in the lead. She plays the not-so-- sweet "Cher," an apt name for materialistic, spoiled brat. When the messages are, for example, virginity is bad, but drugs are okay, even fun to experiment.

This tale of teen matchmaking and other topics that will make an adult want to puke, does have a decent cast with always-interesting guys like Dan Hedeya and Wallace Shawn and another young "hottie" in Brittany Murphy. However, you wouldn't want your kids to watch this garbage, believe me.

Overall, the title says is all.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor acting, weak story.
bobdroid22 August 2003
I had seen the TV series of 'Clueless' before watching this movie, but it didn't prepare me for how truly awful this movie was. At least the series was only 30 minutes long. Sitting through this movie was horrible. This is the only movie I remember where I have found nothing funny. Beyond that, there was no drama, no action, no real emotion whatsoever. The acting was poor at best, although there's not much anyone could do with a story like this. How such a horrible movie ever became a TV show is beyond me. Do yourself a favor and spend your money on something more entertaining.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Filmmakers were, Clueless.
Georgey_Girll25 August 2016
Clueless has been recommended to me for years. People who have seen it promised it to be a heart-warming, girly 99's fest. Filled with just the right amount of slush and nostalgia to make it a cult classic.

However, I couldn't have been more disappointed. Firstly, is the main character 'Cher', a materialistic, superficial, spoilt brat who moans a lot and manipulates the people around her. To make matters worse, Silverstone is such a poor actress the character lacks any kind of dimension.

The plot is almost as flat as Cher's hair. It seems as if the entire script was written by a middle aged woman desperately trying to cling onto her youth by over-using terms such as "As if!" and "Whatever". Occasionally the airy-fairyness of the film is broken, by throwing in an edgy sex reference. One scene also shows the princess lighting up a joint during a party. It seems as if the filmmakers didn't know who the intended audience was meant to be.

All in all, I would say Clueless is a disappointing, poorly scripted, badly acted, moral less disaster. Disguised in pigtails, fluffy pens and blazers. All I can say is the filmmakers, indeed, must have Clueless.

(PS: I would not recommend watching this film, it was so bad I had to Google whether or not it was a parody.)
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.