This Martin Scorsese film depicts the Janus-like quality of Las Vegas--it has a glittering, glamorous face, as well as a brutal, cruel one. Ace Rothstein and Nicky Santoro, mobsters who move to Las Vegas to make their mark, live and work in this paradoxical world. Seen through their eyes, each as a foil to the other, the details of mob involvement in the casinos of the 1970's and '80's are revealed. Ace is the smooth operator of the Tangiers casino, while Nicky is his boyhood friend and tough strongman, robbing and shaking down the locals. However, they each have a tragic flaw--Ace falls in love with a hustler, Ginger, and Nicky falls into an ever-deepening spiral of drugs and violence.
Tad Dibbern <DIBBERN_D@a1.mscf.upenn.edu>
You don't stay at the top forever
See more »
Motion Picture Rating
Rated R for strong brutal violence, pervasive strong language, drug use and some sexuality
See all certifications »
Did You Know?
Ginger wears a Bob Mackie dress that was later sold at an auction for $13,200. See more
Disappearing pack of cigarettes in the car when Sam is talking about how he might never get a gaming license because Nicky is bringing everyone down. See more
When you love someone, you've gotta trust them. There's no other way. You've got to give them the key to everything that's yours. Otherwise, what's the point? And for a while, I believed, that's the kind of love I had.
[Ace's car explodes
"This is a fictional story with fictional characters adapted from a true story." See more
In India, the theatrical release was heavily cut, despite of being given an A (adults only) certificate. Following were the cuts made:
- Reduce to a flash the visuals of the woman undressing and her nudity.
- Reduce by 50% the beating of the hand with a hammer.
- Reduce by 50% the scene in which the man is tortured with his head in the vice.
- Reduce by 50% the scene depicting sexual intercourse between Nicky and Ginger.
- Delete the visuals of blood spurting out of the mouth of a man who has been shot in the head.
- Delete the visuals of the plastic bag being pulled over the man's bloody face in the car.
- Reduce by 50% the beating up of Nicky and his brother especially deleting the visuals of their bloody faces.
- Delete all visuals of the battered bodies and delete all close shots of their bloody faces of the men in the grave. General cut: Delete the following phrases wherever they occur: a)Jew Ass b)Mother fucker/mother fucking c)Sisters ass d) Fucking c***t.
Referenced in Watching the Detectives
Written by Hoagy Carmichael
and Mitchell Parish
Courtesy of The RCA Records Label of BMG Music
Published by EMI Mills Music Inc./Hoagy Publishing Company See more