Braveheart (1995) Poster

(1995)

1,316 Reviews
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."
MR_Heraclius24 February 2020
The Academy Award winning war epic Braveheart is an extraordinary film that set a new bar for the genre. The story follows a Scottish peasant named William Wallace who's pushed into leading a rebellion against the tyranny of English rule when his wife is murdered. Starring Mel Gibson, Patrick McGoohan, Sophie Marceau, and Brendan Gleeson, the film has a strong cast that delivers outstanding performances. Additionally, the battle sequences are remarkably gritty and violent, which adds to the authentic tone of the film. And, composer James Horner provides a sweeping and majestic score that's incredibly powerful. A groundbreaking film, Braveheart does an exceptional job at depicting both the valor and the horror of war.
115 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie ever
rutan0713 September 2005
Most on this site pick the Godfather, or the Shawshank Redemption, but this is it, this is the best film ever made. People will complain, will argue that I am wrong, but I will say it again...Braveheart is as close to perfection as a movie can be. The acting is superb, the man who played Lonshanks, the actor who portrayed Robert the Bruce, both should have been nominated for Oscars due to their powerful rendering of evil and a man who is saved from losing his humanity (from becoming evil) by meeting William Wallace. And let us not forget the direction, the cinematography. Braveheart is glorious, beautiful to look at. The slow motion pictures of horses preparing to charge armed combatants, the entire landscape of Scotland that Mel Gibson captures with the camera. Braveheart is artwork, it is as good as any picture. That the film is number 93 on the list of the top 250 movies ever is a shame. Yes there is violence in this film but that violence does serve a point...that freedom isn't free and sometimes it takes death, gruesome and horrible, to let ones people taste what it is like to be free. Braveheart is a great movie and it deserves to at least be in the top ten of IMDb's list of greatest films.
972 out of 1,371 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a Masterpiece. Best Movie of All Time
heisenberg124 August 2019
Braveheart is the best movie ever made in history, an absolute sculpted work of art that depicts every emotion of human existence, from suffering, to courage to love, in front of the background of political astuteness and socio-hierarchal analysis.

Telling the quasi-true story of one man's conviction and courage to exact vengeance for the killing of his first wife and father at the hands of the ruthless King Edward the II of England, who in turn inspires his small province of Scotland to rebel and go to war in a real fight for freedom and independence, Braveheart is a stunning depiction of the capacity of the human spirit to overcome the odds, defy tyranny, and achieve justice, respect, and dignity against oppression.

Although its retractors and critics will dwell and harp on the historical accuracy of some of the movie, particularly what part Robert the Bruce played in real life, there is no denying the true power and emotional influence of this movie. It's understandable, particularly for Europeans, how this could be problematic due to their upbringing in studying history, but the movie is not really about being historically perfect; it's a work of art about things much deeper. A documentary it is not, and it's duplistic and hypocritical for the film's haters to dwell on this minor detail, but perhaps allow historical rewriting to slide and give it a free pass in something like Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

On this topic, one of the dozens of best parts in the movie is when Robert the Bruce plays an important role in one of the battles, and eventually the movie does come around and get Robert's history back on track with more accuracy as to his part and character in the battle for Scotland's independence.

Without trying to get the history perfect, this movie is simply flawless. It's beyond flawless, really. A flawless movie can just be a technical masterpiece with very little power, but the raw power and emotion coming off the screen in practically every single scene in Braveheart is like an inferno.

James Horner's score is one of the greatest scores ever for any movie, and it successfully enhances the drama and emotion of each scene, without coming across as manipulative. It fits perfectly into every single scene it is used.

There isn't one acting role that is not well-done. This is one of Gibson's best acting roles, and the guy who plays Edward II gives an outstanding performance.

This is the greatest epic movie ever created in the history of Hollywood. A few years later, another great modern epic Gladiator came out and drew rightful comparisons to Braveheart, but while Gladiator is a very good movie, it lacks in the emotional depth, power, and ultimate inspiration behind the experience of watching Braveheart.

The final Act of Braveheart is one of the most powerful ever put on film. As a first time viewer, you really have no idea where the story is going to go (even as a repeat viewer it still holds weight). To this day, there is still nothing like it. Just when you think it's over or you know how it will end, it just continues to twist and turn, and then it closes with what is probably the best ending of any movie in history.

In addition to all of this, the body of Braveheart is loaded with outstanding battle scenes, incredible editing, and great dialogue rooted in inspiration, political strategy, philosophy, and stunning human experience of love, desire, passion, suffering, and identity.

When you look at the top rated movies on IMDB, it is laughable that comic book movies and good popcorn-fun movies are actually rated above this. This is without a doubt, hands down, one of the top 25 movies ever made, and in my opinion, it is the #1 best movie of all-time.

This movie is a masterpiece.
66 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Your Heart is Free, Have the Courage to Follow It...
Xstal6 September 2020
A simple message but even today, over seven hundred years later, there are far too many captive to their cultures, governments and institutions. They take a large slice, sometimes all of the freedoms William Wallace and so many others fought for. Keep up the fight because, like the tide, those oppressive forces wont curtail.

A rousing piece of cinema, you can forgive the historical inaccuracies in order for it to tell a hugely engaging and inspirational story full of hope, although it leaves you under no illusion of mans inhumanity to man and the vile and despicable things that can be done in the name of greed, power and control.
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply amazing
high_voltage_4119 November 2005
I remember seeing this movie for the first time in late 2003, and I was impressed. I saw it again last night, and I was even more impressed. The acting is amazing, and the ending was brilliant. For me, all my guesses were incorrect. Everything that happens in this movie in unpredicted. The last half hour itself was highly unpredictable, and it had a powerful message. When a scene was meant to be dramatic, they did a great job at it. I don't know about everybody else, but the ending did make me cry. The message the movie sent kept me thinking for a while. The amount of courage and bravery was inconceivable, there was barely any faults or anything wrong with the movie. For a movie of 1995, they did a great job.

I absolutely guarantee this movie to anybody who enjoys action and war with a bit of drama mixed in. One of the best, or maybe even the best movie of the 20th century.
379 out of 555 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For he had only one life to give for Scotland.
riddler_1138-319 November 1999
On my list of the greatest movies of all time, BraveHeart ranks as number 3. It is by far one of the most epic stories ever told. Mel Gibson deserved all the credit he recieved and more. His portrayal of William Wallace, one of Scotlands most mightiest warriors, was spot on. The only part that lacked was the romantic affair of Princess Isabella and Wallace. It historically never happened. This movie also has other historical errors but WHO CARES!

The Battle of Stirling has to be the second most graphic piece of footage ever shot next to Omaha Beach in Saving Private Ryan. I love the part where the English Commander gives the order to charge and Wallace sees this and raises his broadsword into the air and starts yelling. He charges the field with the Scots and I'll let you see the movie to see what happens next.

Wallace's emotional speech at the battle of Stirling still is inspirational and I think that the REAL William Wallace would be proud of the way Mel Gibson portrayed him.

My hat goes off to Mel Gibson. I hope he makes a few more movies like this one.

Out of ten............10/10!
398 out of 601 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Man vs King
raidbers2 September 2005
This has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. I recently purchased it and have watched it at least five times since then, and each time i pick up on things I did not see the other times. The fight scenes are great, the plot is both interesting and thought provoking, there is romance and comedy. This is a movie that any person can appreciate at some level.

True, the historical content may have been distorted, but even though, this movie is meant for entertainment. It is not a history lesson caught on video.

The acting is absolutely superb, this movie is guaranteed to have you on the edge of your seat for the entire three hours.
219 out of 328 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Je-ne-sais-quoi-ly great!
zwei17 November 2004
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch Braveheart till 2003 when it was on TV. However, the lack of theatrical effects never stopped me from being mesmerized by this epic for one moment. So mesmerized, I literally sat motionlessly on the couch for two minutes after the movie. Any normal audience would likely to cast his/her sense of reality away and be captivated by this distant Celtic saga.

Beside proving himself as a brilliant director, Mel Gibson more importantly gave life to a historical hero whose superb gallantry, vivid character and magnificent spirit shall never be history. Along with the unforgettable 'Alba gu bragh!' and the unprecedentedly heart-stopping 'Freeeeedom', Braveheart unquestionably is one of the greatest movies ever made.
364 out of 561 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Freedom!
simplisticconception26 December 2020
This films passion keep you enthralled and wanting more. This is Mel Gibson at his best. Always entertaining and fun to watch.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A flurry of emotions to move you in every direction (at least once)
suiko13 December 2004
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a film of quite this caliber again. Braveheart contains elements of Romance (several heart- wrenching and warming instances), Epic/Action (spectacular scenes), Mystery (can take a few viewings to put it all together), History (albeit romanticised) and of course Drama (perfectly unravelled). This level of uncompromised multi-tasking allows the film to move you to laugh and cry, love and hate or even to think and be taught. I'm trying to avoid the clich├ęs of glowing reviews (almost as bad as entirely negative ones) - but this is one of the few movies that I feel deserves one.

The witty banter between friends/foes/lovers/relatives is, in my opinion, flawless and aids the film's claim as a true classic. The soundtrack is similarly top-notch and encapsulates and refracts the patriotic theme during several key moments. The political sub-plot and gorgeous scenery also serve as refreshers during otherwise heavy areas of the story. Perhaps Braveheart's only flaw (but if you share my sentiments it's actually a bonus) is its length so you'll want to prepare a comfy seat and maybe even two pots of tea (complete with cosies!).

I suppose it's also relevant to touch on the historic inaccuracies as I expect this is what people might dislike most about this film. However, "History is written by those who have hanged heroes"; also, the overall sketchiness of such periods coupled with the right of artistic license are enough for me to personally dismiss such thoughts. On that note, I hope you also enjoy what, to me, is the greatest film created (so far).
189 out of 290 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite movie, ever
thiendang-6725117 February 2020
This is genuinely one of the greatest piece in cinema history.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'd give it more if i could
katari2427 December 2020
I watched it years ago and just now and will definitely watch it again.. I feel like you can't rate it it's just beyond that it's so beautiful and it's epic. One of the best movies ever made. Mel Gibson is a true legend.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FREEDOOOOOOOOOOM!
patches8913 January 2021
One of my favourite all time movies. The story centres around William Wallace a historical figure who lead a group of warriors to claim freedom from English rule. This film takes some liberties with history and is inaccurate in many areas but Mel Gibson's portrayal of Wallace and Patrick McGoohan as King Edward were great. The battles were brilliantly choreographed and whilst I dunno if the film was ever worthy of an oscar its a wonderful film
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies ever
youssefamirabdelazem28 December 2020
It is just and amazing movie and if you didn't watch it yet, so I don't know what are you waiting for. By the way, I challenge you to watch this movie without crying ­čśü­čśü
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie ever made!!!
jcrap11 March 2005
This is simply the best movie ever made, containing all the elements a perfect movie should, even considering that every person has a right to his/her opinion. The soundtrack is amazing, the scenes are ingenious and the story is simply excellent! This is a story about a Scotsman named William Wallace (Mel Gibson) and his fight for the freedom of the Scottish people, from the oppression of the English ruler-ship. After seeing the death of his wife at the hands of an English nobleman, William Wallace (Mel Gibson) sets out on a quest for vengeance that quickly turns into a crusade for freedom for the entire "country". The extreme violence as well as the human compassion in this movie are overwhelming in its brilliancy.
331 out of 563 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A motion picture that dares to be excessive...
Nazi_Fighter_David28 August 2005
Set in the late 13th century, 'Braveheart' is the story of one of Scotland's greatest national heroes Sir William Wallace. leader of the Scottish resistance forces during the first years of the long, ultimately successful struggle to free Scotland from English rule...

Crucially charismatic in the title role, Gibson plays the heroic figure and emerges as a remarkable hero with wit and romantic soul, determined to rid his country of its English oppressors...

Wallace's revolution was set in motion, with great obstacles from his countrymen... Many Scottish nobles lent him only grudging support as most of them were more concerned with wealth and titles than the freedom of the country... In fact, the Scottish leaders are in favor of revolt-or not-depending on English bribes... Wallace, by comparison, is a man of honor, incorruptible and righteous... He was knighted and proclaimed 'guardian and high protector of Scotland,' but as much as he railed against the Scottish nobles, submitted to Edward I, King of England, he was astonished and in shock to discover the treachery of the leading Scot contender for the throne┬ŚRobert, the Earl of Bruce┬Śto whom he confided , 'The people would follow you, if you would only lead them.' Sophie Marceau is exquisite as the distressed princess Isabella of France who ends up falling in love with Wallace, warning him out of several traps...

Catherine McCormack is a stunning beauty who ignites Wallace's revolution...

Patrick McGoohan is chilling, brutal, and vicious as the ruthless Edward I, known by the nickname 'Longshanks.' This king remains simply the embodiment of evil...

While Angus McFadyen moves as a nobleman torn between his conscience and political aspiration, and Brendan Gleeson brings strength and humor to his role as the robust Hamish, David O'Hara is very effective as the crazy Irishman who provides much of the film's comic relief from even the most tensed moments...

Mel Gibson has reason to be proud of 'Braveheart.' It is a motion picture that dares to be excessive... Gibson presents passionately the most spaciously impressive battles (yet staged for films) even excessively, and it is his passion and excess that make the motion picture great... The horror and futility of massed hand-to-hand combats are exciting rather repulsive... It is epic film-making at its glorious best...

Gibson's 'Braveheart' focuses on the human side of Wallace, a character so immense, so intelligent, and so passionate, exploring the definitions of honor and nobility, pushing us to follow the hero into his struggle against injustice and oppression...

There is a great shot of the lovely mountains of Scotland covered in mist with beautiful bagpipe music... James Horner's beautiful score, calls up memories of his work for 'Titanic.'
121 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Majestic Film of Scotland
nakais4 December 2004
This enthralling movie Braveheart takes a viewer's breath away. The invigorating battle scenes, the incredible acting, and the fierce power of love all captivated me when I first saw this movie. James Horner's music is a masterpiece--it adds elegance and dimension to the magnificent film. Mel Gibson's zealous passion as his character William Wallace is truly an inspiration. Scots are very dignified, highly revered people, and this movie really presented Scotland's pride.

Everything in this film was done tastefully. Even the ending, which by the way is heart-wrenching, was done artistically, as Wallace sees his wife during such a traumatizing event. Of course, nothing was better than the rich satisfaction of watching Wallace scream for freedom, freedom and not mercy. This epic film must be watched again and again.
139 out of 229 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best modern movies of time
Smells_Like_Cheese21 April 2002
I'm talking just in the 90's. The 90's were a great time for the movies, we had so many memorable one's and there is no doubt that "Braveheart" is one of them. "Braveheart" is one of my favorite movies that never gets old. Despite it's long running time, I will watch this movie any day.

Mel Gibson has come so far in the movie business and he not only stars but directed Braveheart. He did a terrific job and deserves a lot of credit for this remarkable film. Despite it not being totally accurate with history, anyone can enjoy "Braveheart". Based on the life story of William Wallace, a town peasant who just wants to live in peace and harmony with a wife and children. But when the British king of England, Longshanks, is sick of Scotland "being full of Scots", he comes up with a way of bringing them more into a British land by "breeding them out". Promising any British soldier to a Scotish bride on her wedding night before her husband can have her. Wallace won't hear of it and marries his love in secret. When a British soldier notices his wife and attempts to rape her, Wallace comes in and saves her causing a riot in their village and he thinks he's got her safe when he sends her away from the soldiers, but they catch her and kill her right in front of her family.

Wallace has had it and wants war for not only the murder of his wife and love, he wants freedom for Scotland and will shed blood to do it. "What will you do without freedom?!", this is one of the most memorable speeches of all cinematic history during their first major battle with the British. Through countless battles, friends, traitors, and bloodshed, all Wallace just wishes for is freedom. As Robert the Bruce says to his father "They look at him and fight by his side." He describes Wallace's bravery and what everyone feels in wanting to be him. I love Robert's last line "You have bled with Wallace! Now bleed with me!" and the army stands and continues their struggling battles for freedom! This is such an inspirational movie with a powerful message "Every man dies, but not every man really lives" to a tearful ending that will make anyone shed a tear to a terrific heartfelt sound track, it's no wonder this won best picture with other Oscars. This is a movie, a terrific one that everyone should enjoy and watch.

116 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic that has everything you'd want in a movie
gazwally30 November 2019
Simply the greatest movie ever made it has it all, action, drama, love, betrayal, honour and so much more, every actor fits every role perfectly and u couldnt see anyone else playing the parts, Gibson although slated is brilliant as the Scottish hero, but even better as the director not one fault about this film and the only movie I've ever given a 10/10
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Timeless favorite
cgarman319 February 2007
OK, so it was not 100% accurate in content or historical detail but that aside, it was one of the greatest films that has yet to be truly matched. The cast performed very well as this well written tale was told. Even though it is over 10 years old now, it still holds a place in my heart as one of the best. The accuracy of the battle scenes are only eclipsed by the expressions of the actors faces as they share this story. Stephen the Irishman steals the show with his plucky comic relief. Hamish the sidekick does a great job playing against the over the top performance of Mel Gibson. The predominantly European cast does a great job of not needing to fake accents and mannerisms. I have watched this film several times and every time I see something more special.
37 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That was beyond my expectations
soyisimisim22 February 2021
Well, it's one of the best movies ever done. I strongly advise everyone to watch this one
Fantastic production!!
paulclaassen17 February 2021
'Braveheart' was only just Mel Gibson's second directorial film, and it is a masterpiece in every aspect. The entire production is so perfect; this is going to be a short review.

Based on fact, the film is about a commoner, William Wallace, who - against all odds - became a hero, an inspiration and a legend. 'Braveheart' is beautifully filmed and features stunning cinematography. Every scene is flawlessly carried by emotion - whether it be happy or sad - and fantastic all-round performances. It also features a beautiful score by James Horner.

The film is just shy of 3 hours, but it is never boring, and reasonably fast-paced. Some of the fight sequences are rather brutal, though. 'Braveheart' is nevertheless an incredible production everyone should see at least once.
Braveheart
dk230117 February 2021
A visually impressive film filled with interesting characters and spectacular battles. A tense and interesting story with a great cast that perfectly portrays these striking characters. Mel Gibson excelled as an actor and director in this epic historical story. The violence is brutal and realistic, as it should be in a film like this, and it evokes the cruelty of that time. The details are great, the cinematography is excellent, and the film is masterfully directed. A visually impressive epic story that gets better with each viewing.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Historically inaccurate but who cares
neilachatt24 January 2021
Its fantastically shot, the performances have heart, its shot in the highlands of Scotland, it's an incredible romp. It doesn't get slow at any point
Masterpiece
maksuco2 January 2021
A lot of extras, no CG on this one... I haven't seen it in a while, so I don't know how it has aged, but I'm sure the story is still great, the acting A+ and in general is still a great movie