Thumbelina (1994) Poster

(1994)

I don't care that I'm all grown up! I love this movie!
Liza-1926 April 2003
So help me, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen! I just love this film. First time I saw it, I went with my 7 year old brother, and was determined to hate it - but, well, I just couldn't. It's soooo cute, and the songs are so good, and the story is so well told - it's just impossible not to like it.

The first thing that I really like about this film is that it (unlike, oh so many Disney films) is actually very loyal to the original fairy tale by H.C. Andersen. They've added a few things, and changed a few details, but all of the things they changed I had to agree with (hey, why not let Thumbelina and the Prince meet at the beginning? It makes more sense for them to already be in love. And what's wrong with making the Fieldmouse a girl? It's Carol Channing!) This is very true to the original story - so much more than Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID (which was supposedly based off another H.C. Andersen tale - but you'd never guess it).

The animation is good, it's not the best, but it's fine. The real star of this film is the music. A beautiful score by Barry Manilow helped out by fabulous voice work. The wonderful Jodi Benson heads the cast (she was also the voice of Ariel in THE LITTLE MERMAID) and she is delightful as Thumbelina. I've been lucky enough to meet Ms. Benson and I have to say, she is just the sweetest person you could ever hope to know. She's got a wonderful, child-like speaking voice, and a glorious singing voice - just the perfect choice for the lead. She's joined in the cast by Gilbert Gottfried, Barbara Cook, Carol Channing, and (another voice talent from THE LITTLE MERMAID) Kenneth Mars.

This film is just beautifully done. It's faithful to the original, it's lovely to see, and has a marvelous soundtrack. I don't care that I'm all grown up - this is a movie I can't help but love.
41 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is adorable! Very underrated!
ADORA13 April 1999
This is a triumph for Don Bluth! I really enjoyed it. The songs are sweet, & memorable. Jodie Benson (Ariel, The Little Mermaid) plays the title role, & she has such a great voice. I would recommend this movie to any family who is stuck in the Disney collection only rut. Give Thumbelina a chance!
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this movie!!
Elizabeth_d1328 October 2004
Ever since I first saw this movie I have loved it. It grabbed hold of my imagination. It also follows very close to the original story which is more than I can say for several other books made to movies. It has also captivated the imagination of my children. They will sit through this movie and then talk about it all day. They even pretend to be the characters. This movie is one of the greatest children's movies ever made. It has comedy, beautiful music,a love story and it also teaches a valuable lesson....To always follow your heart and you will have your dreams realized. I recommend this movie to anyone who is in the mood for a feel good movie that leaves you with the feeling that you can do anything if you want it strong enough. I love the songs, I love the story, I love it all.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thumbelina is Thumbs Up
joeb-1321 February 2005
This is a movie that grows on me. When first getting a copy, made little mark, but after my 3 yr old daughter started requested this repeatedly several times a day, I've found the songs and animation to have grown on me. It has much of the enchantment and dreamy themes that Disney studios seem only to accomplish during those revitalized golden years of early 90's at Disney. But I trust my daughter's taste, and I have a new found love now in this 10 year old hidden treasure myself.

Jodi Benson has a beautiful voice and it may be this is on of the leading attributes that captures attention the same way her Mermaid performance as Ariel has done.

I believe the test of a good film, is one that captures year heart and you can call you're own, and this one has found a way to do that.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!!!!!
xXHeatherXx5 June 2005
I totally disagree which Pynchov. How dare he say the film was terrible. The way he describes it makes it sound like a horror movie. This film was absolutely brilliant. It was fun, enjoyable, enchanting and had some memorable characters. I have had the video for years and I would still watch it. The songs in the movie were inspiring and the scenes were picture-perfect. It was nothing like that totally rubbish 2003 Thumbelina and Tom Thumb film. People must see the 1994 version!!!!! I think the frog characters were excellent and some of the songs they came out with were really funny. The beetle ball was a great scene and looked really unusual. The scenes were beautiful. Full of luscious green fields and beautiful flowers, it was so inspiring! One of the best characters was Jacquimo! I loved his accent!! Thumbelina and Cornelius were the perfect fairy tale couple in a perfect fairy-tale film.
29 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At last - a nice, gentle movie from the recent days for very young age-groups. I'm 16 (17 in 5 months) but I do love it very much!
chrisbishop500022 September 2006
Well, the animation isn't exactly stunning, I'll agree with that, and the production team certainly picked a rather silly name from the fairy prince - CORNELIOUS! What a silly name! And also it does get rather weak as far as sentiment goes, but above all, "Thumbelina" is just lovely! BEAUTIFUL. I just kind of think that those golden sparkles that trail behinds the fairies is actually quite unique. Not many cartoon films have those kinds of effects at all, not these days at least. Mind you, "Anastasia" had the same kind of effects (the 1997-cartoon, I mean) which may be considered in the 1990s and 2000s (our present time-period in fashion) a little old because "Pinocchio" had PLENTY of that but at least "Anastasia" received BIG respect and honour from many audiences worldwide. This movie very rarely receives respect and honour. Far too underrated! Just because it's all soft and sometimes soothing, with pleasant little songs, warmhearted character and a Disney princess that, for the first time in this era, is all kind and forgiving and not feisty. Come on! LOVE IT! See what I see in it! People (including my sister) find the grey and white bird with the big hat annoying. I'll admit that his jokes are rubbish but I wouldn't say he's annoying. He's got a good heart and he helps Thumbelina through hard times and he's a good bird - they're ALL good characters and Thumbelina's mother! Well she is the most warm, tender, caring, considerate mother I've ever seen in a cartoon film! She loves Thumbelina so much and she always makes sure she's away from harm! That horrible toad certainly proved her wrong, though, didn't he? There are three characters I hate and find irritating, apart from the toad; the Beetle, who is terribly shallow. First he flies Thumbelina up to a tree-top making her think he'd help her find her mother's cottage but instead he drags her off to a disco for INSECTS! He dresses her up to be the belle of the ball but when he dances with her, Thumbelina's clothes fall off and there she is stood in a red pair of trousers and a red blouse. He humiliates her, shouts, "SHE'S UGLY!" to all who attend that ball and then feels proud of himself! Lucky, the bird came to comfort her when he saw her sobbing her heart out. Then, there's Miss Fieldmouse; I know she took Thumbelina in when she nearly froze to death and served her some food and kept her warm, but her nature is unpleasant. She tells a very shocked, heartbroken Thumbelina her boyfriend, the fairy prince died in the snow and says "who cares? You're only young, my dear! There are many more men to come!" Hah! Nothing like being sympathetic, eh? Last of all, there's the fat old serial-proposer Mr Mole. He is just SO pompous! Thumbelina is sad as sad can be about her one true love being dead and not ever seeing her mother again and there he is! (The mole, I mean) munching away at his corn-cakes as if Thumbelina is his servant. Miss Fieldmouse even insists Thumbelina marries that pompous, over-sized twit and, what's worse, she won't take "no" for an answer! So our poor little heroine DOES "marry the mole!" It's such a sad story, although it's comforting with it! Only the odd one low point to this movie. Don't listen to those dreary-natured critics! They're WRONG! It's absolutely lovely!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming, vastly underrated
jammy5819 June 2001
Charming rendition of the familiar tale... great songs, almost a show... and not too sticky.. the whole family loves it!
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
sunnygirl_number_110 June 2002
My friend and I sat down to watch Thumbelina last night. It was her first time, and I was excited to show it off for her. She fell in love with it, and, since I hadn't seen it in a while, my adoration of it was re-ignited. I'll be honest: you're not going to enjoy this movie if you don't like animated features. While there ARE a couple cheesy phrases in this movie, if you watch it with good humor, you're sure to enjoy it. This movie wasn't made for adults, but it wasn't made for little children, either. I think that it's best viewed with an open mind and a friend. First, I'll start with the animation. The characters' movements and appearances are very reminiscent of other Don Bluth films, such as An American Tail and Anastasia, which is definitely a good thing. Not only are all of the major movements very flowing, but smaller things are perfect, like the twirl of Thumbelina's skirt and the characters' hair. In fact, if one looks hard enough, it's noticeable in every aspect: characters have little facial expressions, little movements, little changes in their eyes that fully represent real life. I'll admit that some of the non-human characters are a little annoying in appearance and don't fit in perfectly with Thumbelina, in particular hero, the dog; but on average, they blend in pretty well. One of the things I enjoy the most about the animation is that when a character holds on to something, it actually looks like they're touching it, unlike in most animated features (in particular, Spirit, but I'll not hold a grudge against it). Secondly, I'd like to point out the scenery. It's a bit simplistic in some parts, but it always alludes to something more, and it really makes you feel as if you were there. The storyline, while a little silly, is very entertaining, and I really tended to feel the ups and downs of Thumbelina. In some parts, it gets a little tedious, but in general, it's wonderful. The movie, in my opinion, was very romantic, and, in a couple scenes, very, very sad. There's also just enough humor to keep the story flowing without so much that it becomes the main focus of the plot. Finally, the sounds are exquisite. The characters' voices are all perfect, especially the mother frog. "Always Follow Your Heart," the main theme song, is horrible and extremely annoying, but all of the rest of the songs are great. "Soon," is very sad and simple, and it fits Thumbelina's mood perfectly. "Let Me Be Your Wings," is beautiful and is a perfect song to reprise. The first time that Thumbelina and Cornelius sing it, it's very romantic. *SPOILER* When she sings it to the mole after Cornelius, "dies," it's one of the most tragic and beautiful parts of the movie, and my favorite. Finally, at the end, when she sings it in the Veil of the Fairies, it's haunting, and when Cornelius cuts in and proves that he's not dead, it's uplifting. *END SPOILER* "On the Road" is a cute song with a Latin beat, and is fun to watch. The song that the beetles sing is a little annoying, but it's bearable. "Marry the Mole," is funny and well-placed. Now, my friend is 14, and I'll be turning that age this month, so I can't honestly recommend it for adults, unless they're young-at-heart and enjoy cartoons (which, I've noticed, often have a lot deeper themes than most real-life movies). If you're about my age, and you don't think that you're too cool to enjoy an animated film, give it a try. Oh, and if you're bilingual, like me, rent the DVD and watch it in French. They dub the songs, and everyone adds their own touch to it that makes it just as good as in English.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful Children's Fairytale
zerogods13 December 2004
Keep in mind the comments you read about this movie ARE opinions. Don't base the movie solely off of those opinions. Rent it, and watch it YOURSELF instead of listening to any crock or praise that may be posted about it here.

PERSONALLY....

I enjoy the movie very much. I watched it when I was a tiny little gremlin, and I still watch it now on occasion. I'm 15 and one of my silly little fetishes are Disney movies. They're WAY better than the new ones at any rate. (...and cleaner too, heh.) Thumbelina is a wonderful Fairytale with pretty songs and the beautiful voice of Jodi Benson. Fairies, jitterbugs, mice, beetles, fish, frogs, a mole, and a swallow... all the tiny things. (With some big animals at the beginning.) I think the main reason why i like the movie is the images, the color (especially at the end) is beautiful. The story is a wonderful children's fairytale. I don't know if kid's nowadays would enjoy it or not, because they have all the Pixar stuff, but my five year old sister does enjoy seeing it once in a while. I loved it when I was little (and still do).
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thumbelina. Absolutely wonderful!
queenmolly18 October 2005
I positively adore this movie. I love all of the songs, especially "Let me be your wings". The animation is fairly clear, and the story is just adorable. Thumbelina was drawn most beautifully. I thought the characters voices suited them perfectly, and I just loved the prince, Cornelious.

My friend and I both remember as a child, younger than we are now, we were on the edge of our seats during this film, and thought it was very dramatic at the time. Even now, I beg my mother to let me rent it, or ask if she could purchase it for me. But even more, I like the music and want the soundtrack. But alas, she will not buy it for me just yet as I annoy her already by watching it non-stop when we rent it. My favourite scene was when they danced and sung on the water and were riding his "Bumble", and I also like the part when he gives her his ring, and she gives him Forgetmenots. Oh, isn't it romantic?
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVE IT!
MissyBaby23 November 2002
I LOVE Thumbelina! My Mom taped it for me when I was little and I would watch it every day. Now my niece does the same thing. I guess it runs in the family! A great movie for the family to sit down and watch together or kids to watch on their own. If you haven't seen it, SEE IT! YOU'LL LOVE IT!
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thumbelina is wonderful
terryb-1030 March 2005
Thumbelina of course is adapted from the classic Hans Christian Anderson beloved story for children. Children especially can relate to the concept of a tiny person as someone they would love and care for. The movie is brilliant and shines as a work of art in employing many fine actors' voice talents, along with a large production team.

Jodi Benson as always is wonderful in her voice and singing role, along with Gary Imhoff as Cornelius. Charo is entertaining as Ma Toad, and John Hurt is refined as Mr Mole. Thumbelina is gorgeous and charming in her various outfits and inventive hairstyles. Her innocence and virtuosity adds to her charm. At the beetle ball even dressed as a beetle, if she were a real girl, anyone would fall in love with her on sight. And the music is exciting, especially through stereo speakers.

Barry Manilow of course has been a world renowned singer/songwriter, and he did no less for this production, perhaps his best efforts yet. The romanticism is overwhelming, perhaps overly so. This movie is fantastic for all age groups. The only minor negative points I felt, were being too romantic for children (it all centres on romance), Thumbelina marrying at such a young age, and that the soundtrack as wonderful as it is (it sounds like something from Fantasyland rather than from Earth), yet now sounds a bit dated.

Children will still enjoy it today however, even after many viewings. Forget the ramblings of some gnarly old cynic perhaps bitter from some failed past relationship. Critics raved over it back then. Do yourself a favour and get it if you don't already have it. Your daughters will love you for it.

Regarding the characters, much as in real life, most are flawed and a bit dull-witted. This no doubt is intentional. The swallow is too delusional and self-absorbed. The 'mother' is negligent and incompetent. Cornelius is perhaps as a normal lad given a sword to play with, and almost gets himself killed twice. He doesn't need to be a fighting hero however. That is part of the charm. He's young and small too.

Regarding her dress, Thumbelina moves with grace, and her dress does the same. Why would she care when she's about the only human her size. The fact that the artists let it rise at times, is charming and natural. For someone that size, the slightest activity or breeze would cause it, and it's done with subtlety and finesse. I'm sure boys would be rivetted with anticipation, and that is probably part of the intent.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
kgm321 June 2004
Thumbalina. This is a good family movie. The story is fun and sweet, the characters are memorable and lovable and the music is good ("Let me be your wings" and "Once there was the sun" are particularly memorable). Thumbalina is a good family movie, the kids will love it and the parent's will enjoy it as well. This is definitely a movie to see if you want to be reminded of 3 things: "true love conquers all", "follow your heart", and "nothing is impossible". Those are not the only life lessons it discreetly teaches, many others are buried deeply in it, like all great fairy tales. Don't see it if you want brilliant animation or movie perfection, see it if you want a "feel good" fairytale that. I would give this movie 7 stars out of 10.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent animated movie
goodkarma21 June 2007
I just recently watched this movie for the first time, and although I've read some bad reviews, I found this movie absolutely gorgeous. Not only is the animation brilliant, but the songs are really catchy and enchanting too, especially "Let Me Be Your Wings".

The story even stays true to the original fairy tale, with the exception of Thumbelina meeting the Prince before she gets kidnapped. And they even improved one aspect of the story I always missed in the fairy tale: she returns to her mother in the end. I always found it so sad that she would never see her mother again after she got kidnapped. The movie finally has the great happy ending I always hoped for.

By the way, there are some great cgi effects in this movie that must have been pretty sophisticated in 1994. The only thing I would criticize about the movie is the many many supporting characters. Thumbelina and her Prince didn't get enough screen time, because there were loads of other characters that somehow helped the story continue. Other than that it's great!!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the greatest animated movies EVER
PurpleUnicorn24 July 2006
I probably first saw "Thumbelina" when I was two or three--that's more than ten years ago. When I pulled it out of storage two years ago one day when I was sick, I could still sing along to the music. This is a wonderful classic movie.

The songs (especially "Let Me Be Your Wings", the main love song) will make you laugh, maybe even cry. The toads ("Los Sapos Guapos") had me on the floor laughing--especially Mama Toad.

Even if you're over the age of four, there are important lessons to be learned from this movie: 1) never, EVER blow a kiss to a toad while singing a love song. 2) if you are ever kidnapped by singing toads, get out of there as SOON AS POSSIBLE 3) don't let a beetle trick you into performing on stage at "The Beetle Ball". It will end in disaster 4) don't trust a bird to find your Prince Charming. Especially not when winter is coming. 5) don't tell a love-crazed toad that you love the prince. He WILL try to kill the prince. 6) don't agree to marry a mole if you love the prince 7) never trust a field mouse--she's probably taking bribes 8) when there is frost everywhere and the bird tells you it is Vale of the Fairies and that you must SING, for God's sake just SING! 9) kiss the prince. You'll grow wings. And, finally... 10) love with conquer all.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guilty Pleasure
bonniejoy-978-6876322 January 2017
If I'm going to be technically honest, it's not a great movie. If I'm going to be nostalgically honest, I like it and don't stop watching it.

The story's about a girl that is named Thumbelina (who is no bigger than your thumb), her love for the fairy prince Cornelius, and the three villains that want to marry her. Almost the same as the original story, just adding the prince being a major character, songs, side plots with the villains, setting it in Paris, and animal side characters, one of which gets a main role (Jacquimo the swallow).

While I like this movie a lot, there are a lot of problems with the movie. One is that it came out around the time Disney was making such beloved classics such as Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King which came out the same year as this movie. If it waited a few more years later, it might have had a better chance. In fact the story resembles The Little Mermaid in many ways (same author, voice actress Jodi Benson, and unique hair). And the music is a hit and miss. Half of the songs are irritating, one of which won a Razzie (Marry the Mole) and another sung by Gilbert Gotfried. But the biggest issue has got to be that Thumbelina had every chance to get home since Jacquimo could fly, but he doesn't even try to take her home, tell any of the jitterbugs to grab her by the arms and fly her to the top of a flower, or even fly above and tell her what direction to go while he searches for her prince. He just leaves her to look on her own. In the original story it made sense, because there are no friends to help her, and she doesn't meet the swallow until the end. Also, she couldn't figure out where she was, so she legitimately gave up. This Thumbelina has friends to get her home but nobody helps her, nor does she think to ask them to fly her home, except with one of the villains, but as that's not one of her allies that doesn't quite count.

However, for all its flaws, I still love it. The animation is beautiful, and it's easy to see the hard work on the character designs, fairy wings, fairy magic, and backgrounds. It almost is like Disney animation and yet not quite; it's its own thing. The way it's animated makes you feel like you're the same height as the main characters. In my opinion, some of the best animation can be seen in the song "Let Me Be Your Wings." Speaking of which, I consider that to be the best song in the entire movie. Yes it's a knock off of "A Whole New World" and the romance may be rushed, but the lyrics are well done, the music is beautiful, and of course the duet is wonderful. Jodi Benson singing is a saving grace for even the bad songs. Also, I think the voices are spot on, including Carol Channing as Field Mouse. Something about her voice actually does sound a bit like a dry, cynical, greedy mouse. And as bad as "Marry the Mole" was, I give her credit for trying to make the song work, and that it didn't stop the plot. It's not a good song, I don't like it, but I don't think it's the worst either. And for anybody who loves the original story better, this movie encouraged me to read the story. It's not my favorite Anderson story, but it's a lovely little adventure.

What amazes me about this movie is that it got harsher criticism than A Troll in Central Park when it first came out. While A Troll in Central Park also has amazing animation, that movie was pandering and nothing but filler. This movie has an actual plot; an not very well done plot, but at least tried to be something decent. I don't care if it's a "Disney knock-off"; I think it's not terrible. This was probably a hard story for Don Bluth to adapt to a feature length film, but I'm not sure if even Disney would tackle it. I don't stop enjoying the movie, but at the same time I understand the flaws.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad...
scorpianram30 May 2003
You know what? I liked this movie. Its kinda of slow in parts, and the animation is dated too, but the songs really stick. You know how I know? My kids, 7 and 12 years old, will watch this movie over and over when we break it out of our DVD rack. They sing the cheery Manilow penned songs and they watch the story unfold each time like its the first time. (The being slow part can be bridged with a cookie or two)...

I like the voice of Thumbalina. She did the voice to the Little Mermaid, so you can consider this a sequal..sorta...song to listen for? A cute little balad called "Soon"...one of those 'bring a tear to your eye' songs...

I give this a 7+...instantly forgetable for adults...kids will love it though!!!
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant.
aylush_something4 January 2009
A few weeks ago, pre-Christmas, I had a sudden urge to watch Thumbelina. I can't place where it came from, but it stuck. I have re-watched it a few times now, especially the "Let Me Be Your Wings" scene. That song, wow, I have hat on my ipod now too. Thumbelina may be a little poor on the animation side of things in places, and Thumbelina lifts her skirt a little high in places (I keep thinking why? why does she do this?) but the characters are lovable and the songs are pure magic. It's scary and annoying where it should be (the beetle, the mole and the toads) and stupidly romantic at the same time. "Let Me Be Your Wings", "Soon" and the song about the sun I forget the name of are all heart-wrenching songs. Don't be overly critical when watching this film, or else you are gonna be missing out. Also, apart from some strange hair, I am weirdly attracted to Prince Cornelius. The only prince I prefer to him is the one from Sleeping Beauty.
precious
lilyflower24516 July 2007
This is my all time favorite cartoon ever! I am 25 years old and still haven't outgrown this beautiful fairytale of perfect love at first sight! What little girl doesn't dream of finding her prince and for that matter, what little girl doesn't dream of being a fairy princess! This movie has everything the perfect fairytale story has. Romance, magic, drama, and the perfect ending. No tears. Only love and happiness! These are the things that women never depart from. Our hearts will forever be that little girl waiting on our handsome prince to rescue us from the ordinary and wisp us away to to his magical castle in the sky!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've Always Loved this movie, Also don't read this if You don't want the movie spoiled for you
psycokatkristin10 August 2006
As a kid of the 90's I grew up with this movie and still love it. What really got me was the music, and just the story. And who ever on here said that Thumbelina did not deserve to get compared with the greatest of the Disney classics, I have to strongly disagree.

Thumbelina is a story about a girl about the size of your thumb.Being so small, it was hard for her to fit in, let alone find a love. Then one night as she was singing(a very beautiful song called "soon" i must say), Prince Cornelious (of the veil of the fairies) comes to her, for he is drawn to her voice. It was love at first sight and Cornelious takes her out to fly and the song "Let Me Be Your Wings" is sung, which I must say is a truly beautiful piece, and the actors did a great job and had the perfect voices for the part. At the end of this night the two part their ways and the Prince promises to come back for her tomorrow.

Their plans are ruined though due to the fact that Ms. Toad kidnaps Thumbelina during the night, for she wants Thumbelina to perform in her swamp show, and marry her ugly son. They then sing "On the Road" which is a catchy little tune, and I think Charo made an awesome Ms. Toad. They then leave her on a Lily Pad and say they will come back.

Thumbelina then meets Jaucomo, a swallow. Who tells her to follow her heart and she'll do impossible things ("Impossible Things" another little catchy number")and she meets a lot of little bug friends. Then Thumbelina is on her way again to find home, and Jacomo is on his way to the Veil of The Fairies to find Prince Cornelious.

In The meantime, Prince Cornelious visits Thumbelinas home and finds out she is missing. Prince Cornelious then sets out on a quest to find Thumbelina.

On her journey, Thumbelina meets a Beetle, who convinces Thumbelina to perform at the beetle ball, where they sing "Your'e Beautiful Baby" (not my favorite tune, but still good). But then the beetles turn on her and call her ugly, and Thumbelina becomes sad and runs away.

As all this is going on winter is coming, and in his quest to find Thumbelina Prince Cornelious becomes trapped in ice. And the Beetle and Mr. Toad (ms. toad's son) team up, and take the block of ice the prince is in.

Ms. Field Mouse saves Thumbelina while bringing her into her nice warm home for the winter. And convinces Thumbelina to marry her friend the mole, for Prince Cornelious is "dead" ("Marry The Mole" another cute song). Thumbelina agrees since she is in so much grief.

It is Thumbelinas Wedding day and Thumbelina's bug friends find the Prince's body and unfreeze him.

During Thumbelinas wedding it is crashed by Mr. Toad and the Beetle. Thumbelina then figures out she does not want to marry Mr. Mole for she does not love him and runs out doors. While out doors, Prince Cornelious crashes the wedding and has a fight to the death battle with Mr. Toad.

Thumbelina is then sitting on a tree, Juacomo then finds her and tells her that where she is it is the veil of the fairies. Thumbelina does not believe him, but he insist that it is the veil of the fairies and for her to believe with all her heart. Then Prince Cornelious Comes and him and Thumbelina have a happy reunion moment where Thumbelina gets her very own pair of wings. They then get married and live happily ever after ( "Let me Be Your Wings Reprise").

This movie can warm your heart time and time again. I am 15 years old and can still watch this movies for a week straight. I really do think that this movie can go up their with the best of the Disney movies. I think its even better than some of them, but I won't say which ones so I don't cause any controversy.

I know I've told basically the whole story, so don't think the movie is spoiled. There is nothing like actually watching this masterpiece.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot better than what people say!
TheLittleSongbird18 February 2009
I grew up watching Pebble and the Penguin and Anastasia. I was introduced to this about a month ago, I watched it, and I was actually impressed. It is not as good as the above titles, but I can name a lot worse animated films, believe me, the Secret of NIMH sequel anyone?! The film is flawed, but on the whole it is a fun sweet film for kids. The animation is very good, but is a little flat in some places. But the animation sequence in "Let me be your wings" is breathtaking. Speaking of the songs, they aren't bad at all. They are very pleasant, and beautifully orchestrated with lovely tunes even if some of the lyrics were hard to understand. The incidental music was lovely too. The best aspect was the story. It stayed close to the original fairytale, while adding a little bit on. All of the characters are very much the same, and none of the essence is lost, save for some slow scenes in the middle half. The characterisations are fine. Jodi Benson is a very talented singing actress, and she had the best song of the movie, "Let me be your Wings", which was stunning audibly and artistically, and she does do a good job as Thumbelina. People find Thumbelina annoying and patronising, I find her cute and pretty and she means well. Cornelius was a little bland, but I warmed to him. The toads were funny, especially during that really fast Spanish song. My favourite character is Jaquimo, what a great accent, and Thumbelina's mother is a warm and loving character and provides the film's most touching moment in the reprise of "Soon"! Other voice actors are Gilbert Gottfried, John Hurt and Carol Channing. All in all, a pleasant animation, that is misunderstood. 7/10. Bethany Cox
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the other "commentators"...
Busytown6525 October 2004
I've been taught that in all DECENT opinion writings, one must cite credibility, so here it goes: I am a 20 year old college student and I am doing things worthwhile with my life. I have an extensive background in watching movies like Thumbelina, and I must say that the movie is excellent! Younger viewers need entertainment like this movie to boost self-esteem and give viewers the idea that "nothing is impossible." Had I not watched movies like Thumbelina while growing up, I would be some washed-up zombie with no sense of direction or goals in life. (I suspect that most of these critics with negative views of Thumbelina are washed-up zombies, seeing as how they have nothing better to do than to mock a child's movie and a classic storyline.) When watching movies like this one at the age of 8, I was encouraged to reach for the stars, and other nonsensical clichés. I still despise clichés, but I am happy with where I am going in life. I will admit that there are moments of cheesy dance numbers and slight inaccuracies in the animation of Thumbelina, but, overall, the movie was great. Buy it for your kids, watch it with them and help them grow up to be the humanitarians that you've always dreamed of.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thumbellina is the story of a girl as big as a thumb and is based off of a Christian Anderson story.
anna_netzloff3 March 2010
This is a movie that after re-watching as an adult I really didn't care for. I remember liking it as a kid but that only goes so far in how much I'll like it for when I'm older. I have read the story before and the movie really isn't all that bad. The biggest things I have a problem with now after re-watching it is the songs and the lead character. The songs just in my opinion were really bad. I really don't care for Thumbellina cause she gets pushed around a lot and constantly says things are impossible. Not a very good protagonist to my idea. Of course I always have been one to like independent women as lead characters. My opinion, not good nor bad. Little kids for the most part should like it though. :)
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Childhood overloads
emanesseileh4 March 2019
My first movie to buy when a child . I love it Cornelius and Thumbelina are underrated.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tiny world adventure
sanchuj7 May 2017
Thumbelina is one of the cute fairy tale I have ever seen. I liked all the songs from the movie. Especially, Thumbelina looks super cool in the 'beetle song' with awesome gown. This story is about a girl, size of a thumb who gets lost in miniature world and looks for her true love,Cornellius, a fairy prince. Thumbelina is now one of my favorite movie among other Disney princess movies i have seen. Surely little kid girls would love it, so I suggest them to watch it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.