Threesome (1994) Poster

(1994)

* * * out of 4.
brandonsites19818 August 2002
Due to a computer error Alex (Lara Flynn Boyle) accidently gets assigned the same dorm rooms as two guys, Stuart (Stephen Baldwin) and Eddy (Josh Charles). Stuart a sex crazed drunk frat boy is in lust with Alex, however Alex is in love with Eddy and Eddy in turn thinks he may be in love with Stuart!

Considering the title and the premise one would not expect to see a smart film that never bashes its characters, but instead fully develops them in an a thoughtful, original manner. This film manages to do just this. Lara Flynn Boyle is both sexy and extremely funny. Josh Charles turns in a tender, compassionate performance. Film could have just easily come off as gratitous, but instead it is sexy and fun.

Rated R; Sexual Situations and Profanity.
35 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
For its time, groundbreaking
preppy-318 May 2004
Due to a computer mix up female Alex (Lara Flynn Boyle) has to share a dorm apartment with two men--sex-obsessed Stuart (Stephen Baldwin) and nice, quiet Eddy (Josh Charles). She begins to fall in love with Eddy but he reveals to her that he's gay--maybe (he's still a virgin). They all become fast friends and make a pact NOT to have sex with each other. But Alex is still in love with Eddy--and Eddy is very attracted to hunky Stuart...

Almost perfect comedy/drama. For its time, this was groundbreaking. This was a rare Hollywood film that brought up gay characters and issues and did NOT ignore them or "miraculously" make the character straight. SPOILER ALERT!!!!! It is revealed that Eddy IS gay and is happily with a boyfriend at the end of the movie! I remember seeing this in a theatre and being stunned in 1994. NO Hollywood film had ever done that before (letting a gay character stay gay AND be happy). Even today that's a rare occurrence--back in 1994 it was unheard of. For this alone this movie should be better known. END SPOILER ALERT!!!

Sexual politics aside it's also a damn funny movie. The characters are believable, the dialogue is frank and VERY adult (this is NOT for kids) and the movie moves quickly--never a dull moment. Boyle was young (24) when she made this. Her performance is great and she looks incredible (unlike now where she looks seriously anorexic); Charles is letter perfect as Eddy--you see has pain and conflict as he comes to terms with his sexuality; even Baldwin is good! His character is an obnoxious jerk but he has his sweet moments and really pulls them off. But it's his character that prevents me from giving this movie a 10. His character IS a real jerk and his sick jokes and comments really wore me down. Also there is a scene between him and Charles which is just bristling with homo eroticism--and the film stops it. I can accept that though--back in 1994 a mainstream audience couldn't have dealt with two guys going at it.

Sadly this film bombed in 1994 (a bad ad campaign didn't help matters). This Definitely deserves rediscovery. Exceptional film that deals honestly with college kids and sexual politics. Well worth seeing.
27 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the best romantic comedies I have seen.
Trashcan8 April 2004
I saw this movie almost 10 years ago already for the second time and I liked it as much as before. The three main characters develop such a funny and friendly relationship throughout the movie that you just have to like them. Especially Josh Charles as Eddy (formerly admired as Mr. Knox Overstreet in Dead Poets Society) is a hell of a performer. He has something very special in his acting and I simply think he is remarkable. Lara Flynn Boile is no doubt a goddess with respectable acting abilities and even Will Baldwin, who plays a very flat but funny character, pleases the audience. As a group they even go beyond and the result is a romantic comedy with lots of sex appeal, laughing, friendship and even some seriousness. The script is very good and I can recommend this film to anyone over 16. My tip though: Don't watch it alone. It's much more fun with company. Have fun!
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
An Honest Film.
nycritic9 May 2005
Risky even for its release date, THREESOME nevertheless manages to stay fairly true to its material without going too far or restraining itself too much, but staying in a comfortable middle. This can be either its validation or its weak point, because even when the three main characters wind up in bed together and apparently break the friendship bond and consummate their sexual tension, that we aren't allowed to see it and experience it is the only moment when it seems to cheat and retrace its steps cautiously. Because of course, one of the men is Stephen Baldwin, and it would be compromising if he had kissed his co-star Josh Charles, so we only will see him have sex with Lara Flynn Boyle. However, the material is well done, the characters are well drawn -- except for having Alexis Arquette as a more flamboyant gay college student in for laughs than as an actual person -- and the viewing experience translates at times quite poignantly through Charles' voice-overs as he wistfully looks back at those college days that are now gone by.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Less exploitation, more reflection
Phroggy22 March 1999
Now that movieland seems to avoid anything that might feature just a touch of intelligence, this movie follows the opposite formula : less exploitation, more reflexion. It is funny, understanding, believable, exploring what, for some, would be dark sides of friendship, love and sex, but in a light and amiable way. The I-word strikes again in its deep sensitivity for what human relationships are like and, most of all, there is no morality tacked on at the end. In a different way, it reminded me of the superb French movie "Le péril jeune", which dwelt on a bunch of adolescents at the end of the sixties. Check it out .
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
a great, much under-appreciated movie
endymion8222 December 2000
I saw this movie in high school, liked it a lot at the time, and have continued to like it a lot. I think it was a much under-appreciated film that, in its own, pop-culture way, is even very brave. Josh Charles and Lara Flynn Boyle, both actors I always enjoy, give strong, genuine performances and Stephen Baldwin does his best acting outside of THE USUAL SUSPECTS. The best thing about the film, however, is Andrew Flemming's screenplay, which is highly literate, witty, extremely aware of itself, it's situation and the nature of its characters, and is studded with some beautiful little gems of sensitivity, understanding and wisdom. Though some people might dismiss it as fluff, the issues of sexuality, confusion and desire being presented are extremely well-handled, and Flemming is very good at addressing them intelligently, through his characters, without ever abandoning believability- especially in regards to how college kids talk and think. Also, a gold star for the portrayal of a gay man who is not flamboyant, dying or AIDS, or stupidly following the heroine around playing confidante; another for exploring the darker, stranger side of the woman-male homosexual relationship so often glamorized in Hollywood; a third for addressing that taboo subject so often dropped from teenage and twenty-something sex comedies: guilt. All in all, a fun, enjoyable movie- with a nice, thought provoking kick in the stomach to make it really worth your time.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
this sums up sexuality in an hour and 40 minutes
wiccagirl9314 September 2004
the chemistry between the characters on screen is amazing. The realiztation of homosexuality is touching, and also, the fond descriptions that eddy gives throughout the movie is so sweet, verging on bittersweet towards the end. But while i go on about its senitmentality, i have not even begun to express the blatant exploration of sexuality and the funny ways in which all the characters can pull them off. You'll never look at garden gnomes in the same way i can tell you. The ending is so inexplicably satisfying that the only words the need to express after watching this monumental summarization of 90's sexuality is "Let's go back to college!"
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Interesting concept, clever writing and all-round pretty entertaining
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews19 February 2005
I think what makes this film work is the chemistry between the three main characters. You like these characters, feel with them and believe that they would get along in real life like they do in the movie. The concept is clearly quite controversial, and I guess that's why it's so unpopular. I like the way it isn't really all resolved in the end... there is always a tiny degree of imperfection. The plot at times appears to have been written with the primary intention of being controversial rather than entirely realistic, emotionally or otherwise. I'm not sure if that's true, or it just seems that way. The pacing is pretty good. You're rarely bored. The clever dialog and script keeps your interest as well as consistently making you laugh. The film somehow makes you care about these characters, despite their many shortcomings and flaws. Maybe it's because they're human... we can identify with them, more than usually with American films(that are often shallow). The direction is pretty good. The film pretty much belongs in the 'good, but not entirely sure why' category. You like what you see, but you can't pin-point exactly why. All in all, a pretty good romance-comedy that should be seen by anyone open-minded enough to enjoy it. I recommend this to anyone who isn't offended by the topic(and not easily offended in general) but particularly to those who are fans of one or more of the main actors. 7/10
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
College Escapades
philip-18 May 2001
Few movies about college life have the respect for reality that this movie has. Andrew Fleming's screenplay is a near perfect one; so good, in fact, that it would be a terrific play. I had similar experiences in college coming out as a gay man and exploring the tangled web of sex and romance. Fleming gets it so right! You cringe at most teen and college movies that Hollywood passes off these days, but this film is an independent gesture at delving into relationships and characters. It was under appreciated in 1994. On DVD it plays like a masterwork.

I must also praise Josh Charles, whose work in this film is also completely right and real. An underated actor, he makes Eddie's dilemmas heartbreaking and humorous at the same time. He should be doing alot more movies!!! Steven Baldwin is a bit over the top at times, but he creates an endearing jock who has moments of sincerity that are rarely seen in this character type. You've got to love his sheer exuberance in the part! And Lara Flynn Boyle gives a multi-textured performance of such nuance that it is a constant marvel watching her in this film.

Perhaps the greatest compliment I can give this movie, is that it almost seems totally improvised; it's natural, fun, and a very true slice of college life. It's also a great coming of age/coming out movie that refreshingly has a gay protagonist who isn't a queen, dying of AIDS, or singing musicals!!! HALLELUJAH!
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the better college-movies
Sebastian-207 July 2001
In the past there have been made many movies about students in college, some of them drama's, other comedies. This is one of those, and I though a pretty good one. It's about two guys, Stuart and Eddy, who have to share their apartment with Alex, a girl, due to bureaucratic failure. In first they don't like this idea, but they manage to get along, and even to become close friends. But all three of them seem to want more out of this strange relationship....

Lara Flynn Boyle (Alex), Stephen Baldwin (Stuart) and Josh Charles (Eddy) did a good job as the three main characters, and overall this is a nice comedy about relationships, feelings and coming out of the closet. Together with films like With Honors and St. Elmo's Fire this is one of the better movies about college-escapades.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
satisfying
Chrstne22 January 1999
"Threesome" is one of those movies which make you so involved with the characters you don't want it to end. A wonderfully exciting film. The viewer leaves satisfied and thought provoked. It is the story of three lives which everyone secretly wishes they could be.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A sexy, funny flick about sex, sexual identity, and friends.
Good Grrrl30 June 2001
This is a great college flick--as opposed to a teen flick. Three hot actors (one female, two male) who want to get it on in a slightly twisted love triangle. I saw this movie on a first date...let's just say it went very well after that. Just don't expect a prude to react so well. Made me laugh too, but not Dumb & Dumber style. Makes you appreciate the experiences one can (usually) only have at college.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
watch it, quote it, buy it (maybe)
silverbullet7 February 2000
Great acting by Josh Charles and Lara Flynn Boyle. Great directing. The title does not tell all. Although this movie is consumed with sex, it also has a lot to say about how rarely we realize what a great time we're having until we reflect upon it later. A must see for L.F.B. fans.
Great romance comedy
Geminni20 June 1999
I liked the movie a lot, because it's real and it shows you that we must not make changes about our sexual feelings, although it may effect our relationship.
amusing
Charles Herold (cherold)11 January 2004
This is a pretty good little movie about very close roommates. It's got a good deal of humor and easy charm but at the end I had a bit of a "so what" feeling about it. Also shows you of how hot Lara was before she turned into Skeletor.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
3Some is Grrrrrrrrr-eat!
LITP (lostintwinpeaks)12 December 2003
One girl. Two guys. Three possibilities.

I really loved this movie. The plot is simple enough, basically just leading up to the threesome of the title, and the ending isn't as promising as it could have been. Nevertheless, the three leads, the sharp dialog, the great late-80's/early-90's soundtrack (Tears 4 Fears, Duran Duran), and the undeniably provocative tone make for a thoroughly enjoyable 90 minutes. Lots to enjoy, whether your gay or straight!
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Great movie
ReevesBeckett2 January 2002
Threesome is poorly titled. period. It is not a skinamax movie but an exploration on dating and the new 90s style of gay or straight. Josh Charles, who would later become an anchor on the tragically short lived Sports Night, stars as the narrator and one-third of the title. His performance suggests that somebody in Hollywood doesn't know pure talent when they see it. The writing is near perfect and the sex jokes are more than plentiful enough to please those that rented it for the title.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A very well-scripted and enjoyable film.
dharmabum25 September 2001
This film happened to come on on the late show on one of the local channels, and I ended up watching it. I was expecting a rather cheesy film in which we see all the predictable sexual quandries you might expect out of a comedy like this. I wasn't entirely wrong, but I was rather pleasantly surprised, as well.

Eddy (Josh Charles) is "sexually ambiguous" - ie. homosexual, as he eventually admits, although he is a virgin and not entirely sure. Alex (Lara Flynn Boyle) has a huge crush on him. And his somewhat misogynistic and lustful roommate, Stuart (Stephen Baldwin) lusts after Alex, while Eddy lusts after him. They make a vow to be just friends. Of course, this all backfires.

What pleasantly surprised me was the conclusion to the film, and the tender and delicate nature with which they handled the sexual issues that cropped up. It was also extremely funny at times, especially when the dorm supervisors (Alexis Arquette, Martha Gehman) start spying on the three of them and wondering what the hell is going on.

The directing is standard for a film of this nature - essentially a romantic comedy with a twist. The lead roles were all extremely well played, especially Josh Charles as the narrator and most crucial role of the film. The sex in the film was erotic when it needed to be, tender when it needed to be, and animalistic when it needed to be, and never overwhelming or out of context.

It also was one of the most realistic and intelligent commentaries I've ever seen on the reality of college life - at least, undergraduate life. How I've experienced it, at any rate. The dialogue, so crucial to a film like this, is extremely appropriate and well-done, and the actors deliver it with perfection. It's a film that is almost entirely about dialogue - despite the sexual nature of the film, there's little nudity and certainly never anything that could be considered gratuitous. It's not the greatest film I've seen, but it's among the most well-written films I've seen in the past few years.

A pleasant and amusing film. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
A very fun movie.
gkerns1 July 2000
For those who love '80s flicks, this is a great pick. It has all the carefree fun of the '80s teen-romps, but with the early '90s college set. It does a great job of bringing me back to my days of sleeping in, skipping class, getting wrecked with the most important people in the world, and thinking every little relationship was some grand new front of interpersonal contact no one had ever seen before. However, it's a lot more thought provoking (if you let yourself think) than your average '80s teen-romp flick... it has a few twists of drama to it, too. Overall, a great movie if you're more of a Weird Science than The English Patient type. One of my favorites.
Ahhh....College....
seekrmk422 May 2000
This fine gem recalls the trials and tribulations of 3 protagonists (Steven Baldwin, Lara Flynn Boyle [currently the DA in "The Practice"], and Josh Charles) inadvertently thrown together and forced to coexist....until they break the bonds and rules that separate their lives and exist as one spirit....hey, it happened to me....see the movie to figure it out for yourself....
Very Good
Paulo-3022 November 1999
Each time I watch this movie, it strikes me. It is a deep discussion on an important subject: the human sexuality. It can even change someone opinion about homosexuals, because it shows that we can do little or nothing to change it. Good actors, good direction, good plot. It hasn't got a happy end, but we are not children, and we have already known how the life goes on.
Brilliant movie!
kraulem24 September 1999
The movie hit me the first time I had watched it. I soon realised that for every situation in every-day life, there's an according quote in this movie. OK, it's really not a high culture stuff, but at least it's very Hollywood-unlike. That's probably the reason why many people don't seem to like it. And as for the sex scenes - I think that even if (or rather just because) they are not hardcore, they emerge very naturally from the movie's story. This is one of my favourite movies of all times, and that's (I guess) why I watched it 40 times so far.
Great Movie!
D.Tyree17 August 1999
I really liked this movie. I was once in a similar situation, and it hit home. The title suggests that it would be really different then it turned out to be. Instead of a hot, kinky film, it was a romantic, emotional roller-coaster. Threesome is true to life, you really can't help who you fall in love with or how anything will turn out. The actors in this movie were great and lived up to their parts. This was an excellent movie, I recommend it to anyone who has gone into something, expecting one thing but left on a completely different note.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This is one of the best films I have EVER seen.
hphopjt21 February 2000
What I love about Threesome, other than the obvious content and sexual situations, is the depth behind such a simple movie. Let me explain: As you know, movies can be (and are often used) as coping devices. This is a fun story about college kids, experimenting with sex, and emotions - it's almost a guideline for some kids. After I saw this film I was so excited about going to college and meeting new people. Threesome is funny, deep, inspirational and even a bit therapeutic for some kids. Plus it touches a very controversial topic. The over-all plot will be considered weak by most, but look for the complete meaning and think back to when you were that age. You will probably enjoy the movie a lot more. If you aren't expecting a masterpiece, you will be rewarded.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Yeah, I thought this was pretty funny.
BsyChild30 March 1999
This film wasn't drop dead hilarious but it was very funny. I couldn't help but laugh at Stephen Baldwin through out the entire film. He's such a pervert but the funny thing is, what he says in this film is what most men are thinking but too shy to say out loud, or maybe I'm just sick in the head.......

It was a little bit on the "typically over-acted college life" side, but once you get past that, it's just good old sex jokes and everything else that most of the world is offended by. Again, I loved it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?