The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 31 items
Sex & Nudity
- Prisoners call new prisoners "fresh fish," with one of them asking a new prisoner if he has been "taken."
- A man is victim of sexual and physical abuse. It is committed several times by a group. No nudity. Rape is implied.
- A scene that takes place in a prison shower where men are naked, but there is no visible full frontal nudity though few men's bare butts are seen briefly.
- A poster of a rather scantily woman is shown briefly (the poster of One Million Years B.C).
- In the film's beginning, a man's murdered wife is seen "in bed" with another man, having an apparent affair (only their bare shoulders are visible, but both characters are moaning, kissing and making obvious facial expressions).
- A man narrating the story briefly mentions smuggling in "packs of playing cards with naked ladies on 'em" into the prison, although the cards themselves are never shown on-screen or brought up again. -
- While a man is in isolation, the prison warden tells him that if he ever tells anyone about the corruption in the jail, he'll "send him to the sodomites downstairs, and he'll feel like he'd been fucked by a train".
Violence & Gore
- In one scene you could see bloody gun shots on a man. There is a shirt on him so you don't see the injury.
- A narration implies that rape is an ongoing occurrence for Andy. One scene involves the same men who usually terrorize him punching and kicking him against the ground and one moderately describes how he will put his penis in Andy's mouth to which Andy replies in a graphic manner why they shouldn't do that.
- A man shoots himself in the head. The camera cuts away right before, and blood sprays onto the glass behind him. We then see him with a blood trail on his neck and a blood splatter on the floor below him for 2-3 seconds.
- A man hits two others in the face with a film roll. He is then punched twice in the chest and once across the jaw (a dot of blood on his mouth). Shortly after, he is kicked four times in the stomach and hit across the face twice (seen from a distance). We then hear he spent a month in the infirmary.
- A man is hit with a baton five times and kicked once. He tries to crawl away, but is dragged offscreen and the beating briefly continues. He is then seen injured and bruised in a wheelchair for a few seconds and we hear he spent the rest of his life in a hospital.
- A man tries to fend off a few people in a fight and is beaten offscreen. It's also implied that he was raped. He then walks with a few bruises seen shortly on his face.
- A man is beaten by a prison guard, with 12 blows landing. No blood or injuries are visible due to the dark lighting, a few of the blows are offscreen. It is later revealed that he died from his injuries.
- One man holds a knife to another man's throat, a tiny wound is seen on his neck.
- 35 uses of "fuck" (2 being "motherfucker"), 3 uses each of "dick" and "prick", 2 uses of bastard, 42 uses of "shit" including 6 uses of "bullshit", 2 uses of "shit head" and 2 uses of "horse shit". Also the phrase "Fresh Fish" is used frequently. 1 use of "cock", 12 uses of "goddamn", 9 uses of "hell", and 3 uses of "bitch"
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A man says he can get people marijuana.
- People drink beer on a rooftop in one particular scene.
- One man is drunk and he holds a whiskey bottle in his hands.
- People smoke in several scenes.
- Prisoners deal cigarettes secretly among the bedsheets.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The movie can be often harsh and dark in tone.
- Prisoners torment new people who've just arrived, their reactions can be very difficult to watch as they scream and cry.
- Considered this is a Stephen King adaptation it isn't scary at all.
- The beatings may be intense to many. There are moments of moderate threat when characters are threatened (normally by guards).
- The prison rape elements could be distressing.
Violence & Gore
- A man is splashed with sewage, then crawls through the sewer pipe. The narration states that the sewage is excrement.
- A man is shot in the chest four times. Bloody bullet wounds are briefly seen. He then lies in a pool of blood with the bullet wounds on his back for a good 10 seconds.
- A man commits suicide by hanging. We see his feet jerk for a second or two. His body is then seen from behind for a few seconds.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There is rape also heavily implied and prison beatings.
- Brooks death is very emotional and hard to watch.