Pulp Fiction (1994) Poster

(1994)

2,709 Reviews
A masterpiece of screenwriting
SebMoz12 November 2020
This is Tarantino's masterpiece, there's no other way to say it. It has arguably one of the smartest scripts I've ever seen. The story, which is non-linear, is so well constructed it takes several viewings to grasp it all. The movie doesn't seem to be about any spesific thing, but there is a subtle hint of redemption as a central theme. The characters and preformances in this movie are practically perfect. This is still one of the best performances I've seen from Sam Jackson, and it's an outrage he didn't win an Oscar. Each scene has its own unique flavour and charm, every segment has its own arc while also tying into the main plot. The comedy is great, the serious moments are great, every word of dialogue is exciting despite seemingly not having any reason to exist. This movie is just such a great time, and I recommend it to everyone who loves movies. I cannot think of a single genuine flaw with it, and it will remain one of my favorite movies for a long time.
37 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The masterpiece without a message
kylopod17 November 2005
One of the early scenes in "Pulp Fiction" features two hit-men discussing what a Big Mac is called in other countries. Their dialogue is witty and entertaining, and it's also disarming, because it makes these two thugs seem all too normal. If you didn't know better, you might assume these were regular guys having chit-chat on their way to work. Other than the comic payoff at the end of the scene, in which they use parts of this conversation to taunt their victims, their talk has no relevance to anything in the film, or to anything else, for that matter. Yet without such scenes, "Pulp Fiction" wouldn't be "Pulp Fiction." I get the sense that Tarantino put into the film whatever struck his fancy, and somehow the final product is not only coherent but wonderfully textured.

It's no wonder that fans spend so much time debating what was in the suitcase, reading far more into the story than Tarantino probably intended. The film is so intricately structured, with so many astonishing details, many of which you won't pick up on the first viewing, that it seems to cry out for some deeper explanation. But there is no deeper explanation. "Pulp Fiction," is, as the title indicates, purely an exercise in technique and style, albeit a brilliant and layered one. Containing numerous references to other films, it is like a great work of abstract art, or "art about art." It has all the characteristics we associate with great movies: fine writing, first-rate acting, unforgettable characters, and one of the most well-constructed narratives I've ever seen in a film. But to what end? The self-contained story does not seem to have bearing on anything but itself.

The movie becomes a bit easier to understand once you realize that it's essentially a black comedy dressed up as a crime drama. Each of the three main story threads begins with a situation that could easily form the subplot of any standard gangster movie. But something always goes wrong, some small unexpected accident that causes the whole situation to come tumbling down, leading the increasingly desperate characters to absurd measures. Tarantino's originality stems from his ability to focus on small details and follow them where they lead, even if they move the story away from conventional plot developments.

Perhaps no screenplay has ever found a better use for digressions. Indeed, the whole film seems to consist of digressions. No character ever says anything in a simple, straightforward manner. Jules could have simply told Yolanda, "Be cool and no one's going to get hurt," which is just the type of line you'd find in a generic, run-of-the-mill action flick. Instead, he goes off on a tangent about what Fonzie is like. Tarantino savors every word of his characters, finding a potential wisecrack in every statement and infusing the dialogue with clever pop culture references. But the lines aren't just witty; they are full of intelligent observations about human behavior. Think of Mia's statement to Vincent, "That's when you know you've found somebody special: when you can just shut the f--- up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence."

What is the movie's purpose exactly? I'm not sure, but it does deal a lot with the theme of power. Marsellus is the sort of character who looms over the entire film while being invisible most of the time. The whole point of the big date sequence, which happens to be my favorite section of the film, is the power that Marsellus has over his men without even being present. This power is what gets Vincent to act in ways you would not ordinarily expect from a dumb, stoned gangster faced with an attractive woman whose husband has gone away. The power theme also helps explain one of the more controversial aspects of the film, its liberal use of the N-word. In this film, the word isn't just used as an epithet to describe blacks: Jules, for instance, at one point applies the term to Vincent. It has more to do with power than with race. The powerful characters utter the word to express their dominance over weaker characters. Most of these gangsters are not racist in practice. Indeed, they are intermingled racially, and have achieved a level of equality that surpasses the habits of many law-abiding citizens in our society. They resort to racial epithets because it's a patter that establishes their separateness from the non-criminal world.

There's a nice moral progression to the stories. We presume that Vincent hesitates to sleep with Mia out of fear rather than loyalty. Later, Butch's act of heroism could be motivated by honor, but we're never sure. The film ends, however, with Jules making a clear moral choice. Thus, the movie seems to be exploring whether violent outlaws can act other than for self-preservation.

Still, it's hard to find much of a larger meaning tying together these eccentric set of stories. None of the stories are really "about" anything. They certainly are not about hit-men pontificating about burgers. Nor is the film really a satire or a farce, although it contains elements of both. At times, it feels like a tale that didn't need to be told, but for whatever reason this movie tells it and does a better job than most films of its kind, or of any other kind.
2,024 out of 2,330 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not overrated at all
hockeydog-7508513 January 2021
Before I saw this I assumed it was probably overrated. I was wrong. It lives up to and surpasses its reputation in pretty much every way. It has probably changed the way I will look at movies for the rest of my life.
51 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most rewatchable movie of all time
gautammayya10 April 2020
Possibly the most influential movie made in history since the first movie ever made .Even after 25 years and a countless number of copy cats this movie absolutely holds up and feels fresh. As many of you would know this movie is sort of like a tribute to the pulp stories written back in the 40s and 50s which have punchy and witty dialogue and over the top violence. The random chit chat between characters regarding obscure things might feel a waste of time as it doesn't move the plot. But Tarantino is a genius and he believes in character development more than plot development so these chats actually humanizes the characters a lot and makes them relatable and memorable(The absolute converse of Nolan). This movie is just a collection of wonderful scenes back to back from start to finish.. The movie is a must watch just for the awesome screenplay alone. To top it off all the actors arguably give their career best performance(think about it ,it is true) . And the ability of Tarantino to just create a really tense or ridiculous situation out of nowhere(like the psycho tribute scene with marsellus and butch which is so unexpected or that adrenaline shot scene) is just awesome and keeps you on the edge of your seats .

So if you want an entertaining but clever movie this is the one you are looking for . It is funny, filled with some of the best dialogues ever ,superbly acted, great soundtracks(I just wanna see Tarantino's ipod , boy does he have great taste) and is just a spectacular experience.

Spoilers ahead(duh): For those of you who say the characters are hollow I suggest you to revisit the gold watch sequence. Walken's Capt Koons tells a story to young butch about how Butch's grandpa requested an enemy soldier to return his watch to his family and the soldier agreed. Similarly Butch could have left Marsellus but the legacy of his watch made him save him which I believe was a nice touch. And how Jules(one of my characters of all time) undergoes a change is also a noteworthy counter argument to the above mentioned criticism.

Sorry for the huge review..
103 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible
paulevenas26 January 2021
Just the best movie... I can imagine my family seeing this movie in 30 years. I really love this movie and his soundtrack.
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Favourite Movie
jaaanmerz6 November 2020
Pulp Fiction is the most original, rule breaking film I have ever seen. Instead of following the widely used 3 act structure, Pulp Fiction makes up its own and while the 3 stories may seem completely disconnected at first, once you look closely you can find the underlying themes that they all share. Anyone who says that the movie lacks focus or has no meaning hasn't analysed enough. I highly recommend this film since it is number one on my list of my favourite movies of all time.
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The rebirth of a genre – and film history
gogoschka-124 July 2014
I can only speak for myself, but I had never seen anything as stylish, cleverly constructed, well written and electrifying as this milestone when I first saw it in 1994. What really pulled me in right from the start is what we've now come to know as a Tarantino trademark: the dialogue. When gangsters Jules and Vincent talk to each other (or all the other characters, for that matter) there is a natural flow, a sense of realism and yet something slightly over the top and very theatrical about their lines – it's a mixture that immediately grabs your attention (even if it's just two dudes talking about what kind of hamburger they prefer, or contemplating the value of a foot-massage). Then there's the music: the songs Tarantino chose for his masterpiece fit their respective scenes so perfectly that most of those pieces of music are now immediately associated with 'Pulp Fiction'. And the narrative: the different story lines that come together, the elegantly used flashbacks, the use of "chapters" – there is so much playful creativity at play here, it's just a pure joy to watch.

If you're a bit of a film geek, you realize how much knowledge about film and love for the work of other greats – and inspiration from them - went into this (Leone, DePalma, Scorsese and, of course, dozens of hyper-stylized Asian gangster flicks), but to those accusing Tarantino of copying or even "stealing" from other film-makers I can only say: There has never been an artist who adored his kind of art that was NOT inspired or influenced by his favorite artists. And if you watch Tarantino's masterpiece today, it's impossible not to recognize just what a breath of fresh air it was (still is, actually). Somehow, movies - especially gangster films - never looked quite the same after 'Pulp Fiction'. Probably the most influential film of the last 20 years, it's got simply everything: amazing performances (especially Sam Jackson); it features some of the most sizzling, iconic dialogue ever written; it has arguably one of the best non-original soundtracks ever - it's such a crazy, cool, inspirational ride that you feel dizzy after watching it for the first time. It's – well: it's 'Pulp Fiction'. 10 stars out of 10.

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
275 out of 343 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cool!
htethtetsuhlaing6 November 2020
Can't help but love it!🖤 bcoz it's good cool brilliant? I watched it over agian and again.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch
wsigtbqtz1 January 2020
This if you have not already.

It is violent, action-packed and sexy.

Watch it again if you have already. It is just too much fun to watch once.
74 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply The Best
wolvesrug9 January 2005
To put this in context, I am 34 years old and I have to say that this is the best film I have seen without doubt and I don't expect it will be beaten as far as I am concerned. Obviously times move on, and I acknowledge that due to its violence and one particularly uncomfortable scene this film is not for everyone, but I still remember watching it for the first time, and it blew me away. Anyone who watches it now has to remember that it actually changed the history of cinema. In context- it followed a decade or more of action films that always ended with a chase sequence where the hero saved the day - you could have written those films yourself. Pulp had you gripped and credited the audience with intelligence. There is not a line of wasted dialogue and the movie incorporates a number of complexities that are not immediately obvious. It also resurrected the career of Grease icon John Travolta and highlighted the acting talent of Samuel L Jackson. There are many films now that are edited out of sequence and have multiple plots etc but this is the one they all want to be, or all want to beat, but never will.
1,098 out of 1,507 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keeps you Busy
sophiamrodriguez23 January 2021
This movie is such a masterpiece for many reasons. The way everything connects makes it really important for you to pay attention. Lots of action and very funny. It also has a really good balance of everything you look for in a movie.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tarantino
manaf-860312 November 2020
A pure tarantino movie and the best film for tarantino
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SMOKIN CIGARETTES AND WATCHING CAPTAIN KANGAROO
waynegavin111 February 2020
A groundbreaking movie from QT that intertwines several stories,a couple of BONNIE and CLYDE type criminals kick of this ROLLER COASTER ride with a spontaneous madcap robbery,a couple of gangsters go to retrieve a suitcase for their boss with dire consequence and an ageing boxer has an early retirement bout arranged in his favor,each story unfolds in ultra violent fashion with characters crossing paths through a criminal and corrupt network,dialogue between each unique individual is world class as the balance between humor and terror is achieved beautifully.an all star cast featuring some of QTs favorites put in memorable performances here and JOHN TRAVOLTA reinvents himself and plays VINCENT flawlessly.written and directed by QT this is one of the best crime movies ever made and caps off a crime trilogy from QT in only the space of 3 years - RESERVOIR DOGS 1992 - TRUE ROMANCE 1993 and now PULP FICTION 1994 - truly amazing..........
36 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quality film making by a young Tarantino
theoledoux1 November 2020
Every time I watch this movie, I get reminded why they call Quentin Tarantino a master of dialogue. It is a shockingly smart and original movie all the way through. Every actor does a tremendous job at delivering quotable yet realistic lines. It is very tough to decide which scene is the best. The burger scene? The ending scene? The overdose? The escape from the rapists? I guess I will never know which one I prefer, and that, is what makes this film truly iconic.
Best crazy movie ever
truckeeriverkiller31 October 2020
Tarantino is a beast and this movie made him public. Different stories and different characters all coming together with one finale. Perfection.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hand crafted by a divine power!!
mossuhenock29 October 2020
The greatest movie of all time can be rewatched a billion times over truly a work of a master and one of Kubrick's favourite movies
Perfect Movie
marcferrantejr17 April 2020
This is my favorite film of all time. Every second of this film is engaging, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that. Tarantino's direction and script is brilliant, and every role is perfectly cast. Everything that happens in this movie has a purpose, and you don't realize it's hidden in plain sight until the final moments
31 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Movie that redefined a genre
cooplander8 December 2004
Viewers are taken on a ride through three different stories that entertwine together around the world of Marcellus Wallace. Quentin Tarantino proves that he is the master of witty dialogue and a fast plot that doesn't allow the viewer a moment of boredom or rest. From the story of two hit-man on a job, to a fixed boxing match to a date between a hit-man and the wife of a mob boss. There was definitely a lot of care into the writing of the script, as everything no matter the order it is in, fits with the story. Many mysteries have been left such as what is inside of the briefcase and why Marcellus Wallace has a band-aid on the back of his neck, which may be connected. The movie redefined the action genre and reinvigorated the careers of both John Travolta and Bruce Willis. This movie is required viewing for any fan of film.
471 out of 720 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AMAZING movie
talnavarro28 October 2020
One of my favorite movies of all times. i love the acting the directing of it and the idea behind it!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite movies
tfrost-3022827 October 2020
This movie was a favorite as a teenager, and still is one of my favorites. I often use quotes, and get a laugh. A fun watch every time.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything that Once upon a time in Hollywood wasn't.
Bamboo19 October 2020
Pulp Fiction is pretty much Once upon a time in Hollywood, but better in every regard.

Pulp Fiction encapsulated and defined the 90s, that's what this movie was. A piece of art, not a movie.

This movie is all about the characters and the actors, not any plot. That's why I would rate the movie as follows

1. Characters 11

2. Acting 10

3. Plot 7

4. Cinematography 10

5. World building 10

We have stellar characters and acting. Cinematography is also amazing, it really sucks you in and the world building really makes you fell like you are in the 90s.
10 out of 10
sorrycookies27 December 2020
Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) and Vincent Vega (John Travolta) are two prominent men who go to retrieve a stolen suitcase from their workplace, Mr. Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames). Wallace also asks Vincent to take his wife Mia (Uma Thurman) out a few days later when Wallace is still out of town. Butch Coolidge (Bruce Willis) is an old boxer who was hired by Wallace to lose his fight. The lives of these seemingly unconnected people are intertwined including a series of fun, weird and unusual-for-adventures.
Best Tarantino movie ever made
hkjonvik26 December 2020
Pulp fiction is a fantastic movie, with great dialog and storytelling.

I personally have seen this movie seven times, and every time I watch it makes the time just fly away.

It is in my opinion the best Tarantino movie ever made. 10/10
A Masterpiece
Valtzy20 December 2020
In my humble opinion, I believe that this is Tarentino's finest movie. As I grew older and older I've come to realize that this masterpiece from the 90s aged like fine wine. It's easily one of the most rewatchable movies considering it's filled with an insane amount of quotables, great cinematography and most importantly, charming characters that will stand the test of time.

I truly believe that this movie is a work of art, the way Tarentino handpicked the songlist for the soundtrack helped elevate every single scene of the movie to a whole new level.

To cut this short, this movie is easily one of the best movies ever made, and my personal favorite movie and I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to give it a shot.
Pulp fiction (1994) miner spoilers
fionam-4372521 October 2020
SURPRISE!!! One of the most celebrated and acclaimed movies of all time is a damn masterpiece.

Pulp fiction is one of my favourite films ever and for good reason: -the amazingly genius nonlinear story telling -one of the most enjoyable performances of all time from Samuel l. Jackson. -and of course the dialogue

Look, as someone who has seen all of Quentin Tarantino's great contributions to cinema history I can officially declare Pulp Fiction is still his best. After more than 25 years of being endlessly copied but never replicated there's a reason people still watch this movie so often.

It's just so good.