Heavenly Creatures (1994) Poster

Not just for teens, this is...well...awesome...
pgreyy16 January 1999
I understand why teenage girls would like this movie--the thrilling rush of new found deep friendship tied together with nascent sexuality and all that comes with it...the defying of the confines of the world around them...the incredible power of unfettered creativity and self-delusional belief...

What's amazing is that a jaded thirty-something man like myself would consider it to be his favorite film of all time. Peter Jackson shows a deftness in handling interpersonal characterizations and blending in amazing special effects in a way that seems so natural...so fluid...that you while you're awed by what you see, you're not so aware of the process that you're distracted. The oh-so-1993 effect of "morphing" is used better here than any other film (save, perhaps, Terminator 2--but in that movie, the morphing WAS the film...when here, it is merely one element.)

The direction is exemplary. The cinematography is awe inspiring. The script is sharp. The acting...down the line...is superb. Melanie Lynskey delivers a brave performance--giddy, childish, frightening, sexual, clouded... She's everything Christina Ricci pretends to be. Kate Winslet--hyper-bright and wonderful...her performance here reminds you that her "Titanic" performance was "sunk" (sorry!) by the extremely poor dialogue she was given. Her character's overly cheerful demeanor is a mask that covers her disappointment in her parents--but it's extended so far that it no longer seems like a mask...it seems to be a force of nature that drags Lynskey's Pauline along for a dangerous ride...a ride that Winslet's Juliet is in no position to control. There are crisp performances from all of the supporting cast as well.

Jackson should be listed with Gilliam and even Lynch when it comes to directors who can achieve a glorious, if dark, vision. The fact that Jackson's movies (save for "Meet the Feebles") are mainstream accessible--in ways that Lynch, especially, could barely consider (although "The Frighteners" was painfully overlooked by the US market)--makes me wish that he'd try his hand at more mainstream material.

Imagine what a Peter Jackson "Titanic" would have been like...and compare that to what a James Cameron "Heavenly Creatures" would have been like and you get my point.
125 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disturbing story told with imagination and confidence by a talented director and lead actresses
bob the moo10 July 2004
When Juliet Hulme moves from England to New Zealand with her parents, she meets Pauline Rieper – a rather disaffected girl who is happy to have a friend. As they get to know each other, Pauline is pulled into the fantasy world of Royals and scandal that Juliet has written. However as the two fall deeper and deeper into the characters they have created, their relationship becomes ever more intense and their parents step in to separate them. Facing a geographical separation, the two plot to take revenge on the adults who seek to split them up.

At the time of release I remember thinking that this was an unusual film for Peter Jackson to have made given that he was more of a gore merchant as I was aware. Watching it not it still feels like a strange film for him to have done, but now it is for different reasons – that is, that he has made one of the biggest trilogies of all time™ etc! Ignoring his previous and later works, this is a great little film and it acts as a showcase for Jackson as it shows he can be imaginative and also sensitive when required – certainly coming to this on the back of Bad Taste, I had low expectations on how he would do it but he did it. The true story is adapted from Pauline's diaries and, while it must be impossible to see how they saw the world, the fantastic fantasy worlds we see here are better than the probably quite repressed world they had in mind – from this film I saw the two as being more insular and self defensive than the elaborate fantasy scenes would suggest. The film did well to depict their relationship, immediately having worrying signs but being the sort of thing kids do – and the killing hinted at by the film's opening is brutal and unpleasant – we are never allowed to side with these people.

The direction is great, creating normal domestic scenes with the same confidence as it uses full size plastic models within the fantasy sequences.

The cast also do well, in particular two great lead performances. Naturally Winslet gets all the kudos for her character is ott at times and spins wildly emotionally – a hard role to carry off but she does it very well and showed great promise (even if she looks too old for the role in my opinion). Lynskey impressed me much more as her role was more controlled and was delivered a lot better by an actress who looked like a shy, embarrassed little girl. Both were great for different reasons and they are a big reason this film works so well. Support from the likes of O'Connor, Kent and a few other well known faces are also good but there is never a question about their role within the film – they are supporting the main two.

Overall I imagine this film will get a audience boost now as lots of LOTR fans go trawling through Jackson's back catalogue to see what else he has done (boy are they in for a surprise!) and I'm glad more people will see it.

The direction is great and it delivers a complex story in a colourful and fanciful manner, but the main praise should go to the two lead actresses who deal with really difficult characters and do so in a confident and believable manner – even if the material means that many of us will want to find what they did abhorrent.
88 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kate Winslet is Oscar worthy!
dusan71118 May 2005
This film is astonishing. Really, I rank it tied in first place as the best film of 1994, shared with PULP FICTION.

Peter Jackson's masterpiece (thougth I love the Lord of the Rings films) is definitely HEAVENLY CREATURES. It's a challenging film, very difficult to watch at times. But it brilliantly captures the brightly burning, constantly changing, wild emotions of these two intelligent and creative but seriously damaged teenage girls.

Sarah Peirse as the mother is incredible in her role. Melanie Lynskey reaches such a depth with her character...I actually think it's a bit frightening how good she is. And Kate Winslet...ahhh KATE WINSLET! At first glance...the performance might just be blown off as over the top and amateur. But that's only at first glance. Look closer, and stay with it, and you will see what amazing things she has done with this character. It's a remarkable achievement unlike any other acting I've seen in any film of this kind, which is to say a true life crime thriller.

Heavenly Creatures is, and I say this with absolute certainty, the best true life crime thriller ever made. Because instead of trying to be a classic thriller with cheap tricks, Peter Jackson gets you inside the twisted minds of these two girls, and whether you hate them in the end or not, you completely understand why these girls did what they did...and that it was doomed from the start. Kate Winslet is just brilliant. WHY wasn't she given every award under the sun for this?!?!??!
69 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocking ... Riveting ... Unforgettable
danenielsen22 October 2004
Heavenly Creatures, based on a true story, is written, directed and produced by Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame. This film captivates, catching you off guard.

Jackson sets the audience up in the beginning by focusing on the tranquil, predictable world of 1950s Christchurch, New Zealand. Before long, the peaceful world is exposed for what it is, repressed.

Two teenage girls, Juliet and Pauline, befriend each other at a private girl's school. They find out they have a lot in common. Sharing a world of fantasy and make believe, leads to an insane reversal. Their fantasy world becomes their reality.

Once they cross that line, their otherwise superficial, conventional world is turned upside down. All the repressed dysfunction surfaces. Ironically, Juliet's mother is a psychotherapist who doesn't see her daughter's neurosis becoming a psychosis. Eventually, Pauline and Juliet go off the deep end, drowning in their make believe world. By the end of the film, they do the unthinkable.

Kate Winslet is superb as Juliet. The rest of the cast is outstanding. Peter Jackson does a masterful job of capturing the essence of 1950s religious repression in New Zealand. It could be England or American in the 1950s. Heavenly Creatures will appeal to anyone who enjoys psychological twists and turns.
67 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Beautiful Haunting Story Of Teenage Obsession
Theo Robertson3 July 2004
Lesbian murderers ? I'm sort of guessing that I might not like this movie very much . No doubt we'll be seeing some polemical do gooder film maker with zero talent making a movie where anyone who gets murdered by the gay girls probably asked for it because they were a rabid homophobe

That was my abstract opinion of HEAVENLY CREATURES when it was released to some critical acclaim ten years ago , with much of the acclaim going to writer/director Peter Jackson whose previous gory horror comedies I'd enjoyed . Yeah the guy was talented I remember thinking , but in a liberal climate we'd no doubt be hearing a myriad of excuses via the film for the girls crime and it was this attitude that stopped me from watching the movie until it was broadcast on BBC 2 tonight

I was fooling myself if I thought Jackson was going to make a bad movie . This is another piece of heart melting , intelligent movie making from the Kiwi genius and I'm sorry for doubting Jackson for a moment . What Jackson has done has made a movie where it's difficult to think of the two protagonists as " lesbian lovers " , Pauline Reiper and Juliet Hulme are two teenagers who love each other full stop and the screenplay doesn't once make any excuses for anything that happens , we're not supposed to feel disgusted by their relationship , we're not supposed to feel that they are victims in any way and we're not supposed to feel that a conservative , homophobic society is to blame for what happened . Jackson deserves much credit for making an amoral movie without an agenda , it's up to the free thinking audience to make up their own minds on the case. Take for example the murder of Mrs Rieper who kindly takes the girls to a tea house then for a walk in the countryside . It's difficult not to notice that if she'd been an uncaring cruel dragon with absolutely no conscience the girls wouldn't have had an opportunity to murder the woman .

It's also a movie that captures the spirit of being a teenager in love . When for whatever reason you have to say goodbye to your first love it's the end of the world . You'll do anything to stop it happening - ANYTHING - and you won't forgive anyone who caused it to happen . Fantasy sequences similar to the ones shown here are also a staple diet of the teenage mind and if you disagree with me you're either being dishonest or you're under twelve years of age . Believe me this movie reminded me , perhaps a little too much , of my own teenage angst

Jackson also deserves credit for his casting Melanie Lynskey and ( A then totally unknown ) Kate Winslet as Pauline and Juliet . Neither of them can be described as strikingly attractive and you do have to worry who we would have got instead if this was a Hollywood production , but they play the star crossed lovers with absolute conviction , as indeed do the rest of the cast

HEAVENLY CREATURES is beautiful , haunting , thoughtful and incisive . With the exception of Martin Scorsese I rate Peter Jackson as the world's greatest living film maker and HEAVENLY CREATURES is the first movie that showed the true greatness Jackson is capable of
116 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heavenly
Duzniak3829 July 2005
Heavenly Creatures is a stunning film, surprisingly coming from the gore-maestro Peter Jackson. It follows two girls, Juliet Hulme and Pauline Rieper, who start talking to each other in a P.E. lesson. Over the days their friendship progresses, until they become good friends, and spend time with each other discussing actors, listening to records, and playing dress-up. The acting from Winslet and Lynesky is absolutely terrific from the beginning, Lynesky playing a moody young girl, and Winslet playing the happy, inventive young lady, who is a dab hand a clay modelling and painting. As the film continues, Juliet and Pauline's friendship becomes more and more stronger, as they begin to spend practically every minute of every day with each other. Sarah Peirse give a fine performance as Hilda Hulme, Pauline's mother, who by this time in the movie has become more than a little concerned about the bonding of the two girls. The ending is unforgettable. It is brutal and shocking, however the minutes leading up to the end are beautiful, complete with a spine-tingling, haunting choir music soundtrack. This movie is a beautiful, moving experience, which should leave you tearful by the end.
57 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Peter Jackson'a most successful early movie.
lewiskendell11 December 2010
"The next time I write in this diary, mother will be dead. How odd, yet how pleasing."

This early writing and directorial effort by Peter Jackson and starring a young Kate Winslet is an odd one to pin down. Especially odd, since it's based on a true story (which I didn't know until the film was over). It's about the intense friendship between two girls living in New Zealand. One is sullen and withdrawn, the other, a wealthy transplant from England, is outspoken and draws attention with her very presence. Both are intelligent, imaginative, and share a similar casual darkness in their personalities.

As their friendship blooms and grows more and more intense, their parents (this being set in the 50's) begin to suspect an unwholesome aspect to their relationship. When the threat of separation arises, the girls swiftly and resolutely settle on a grisly solution to their forced division: murder.

The movie shifts in tone often, from a sort of coming of age story, to the fanciful world of the girls' imaginations, to their rage and heartbreak at their parents. Kate Winslet was pretty good, but you could tell that she was still finding her way and confidence as an actress. I found the plot to be rather dull at the start, but it grew more interesting as it continued on to a rather abrupt ending.

Interesting is a good word to use describe Heavenly Creatures, as a whole. It held my attention, even during the parts where I was a little less than entertained. It's unflinchingly dark in some aspects, and innocent and childlike in others. I'd recommend it to most just based on the fact that it's something different, and there's merit in that. It's well-made, also, I just found my interest fluctuating too often to give the movie a higher score.

And how does Kate Winslet look almost exactly the same today as she did in 1994? Now that's a topic that's interesting enough to make a movie about.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cinematic injustice....
sigismond18 June 2005
A decade has come and gone since 'Heavenly Creatures' first graced cinema screens. It brought its director, Peter Jackson, and the second leading lady of the film, Kate Winslet, immediate international recognition. Unfortunately, the main leading lady, and indeed the real star of the movie, Melanie Lynskey was a victim of the film's global popularity. She received no publicity of any kind, particularly here in Britain, and remained every bit of the unknown she had been, prior to being discovered. To this day, Lynskey remains unknown in the United Kingdom. She, along with Kate Winslet, brought a hell of a lot of talent to bear when she became her character, but she was treated so shabbily by the people who could have elevated her career, as they had done with Kate Winslet. Her portrayal of Pauline Parker was the most visible sign of her talent. The scenes of friendship, love, passion and their shared hysteria as they commit the murder of Pauline's mother were a testament to Frances Walsh's belief in Lynskey's acting ability. She should have been rewarded with the kind of international success that Kate received. She got nothing, but three years of career-destroying obscurity. Yet, like her friend Drew Barrymore, she came back. Unlike Drew, Lynskey is still flying too low under Hollywood's radar. US and UK celebrity-based magazines have to start noticing and acknowledging her presence on the movie scene.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb
playground_swing30 July 2004
I saw this movie on a whim. I had no idea what it was about. Earlier in 1994 I had taken a chance on a movie called "Momma's Boys" with Jamie Lee Curtis, and it was absolutely horrible. But this time the whim paid off.

The movie is edited and directed with a touch of genius. The opening scene is a preview of the climatic scene in the movie. "Good Fellas" also used this technique to create more suspense when the scene is repeated in the normal flow of the movie. The direction and editing mirrors the mental state of the two girls that nearly become one. Kate Winslet's tremendous emotional depth appeals to those of us who are afflicted with the malady of hyper-sensitivity. The other girl, whose name I forget, does rather disappear in her presence, but Winslet's character is supposed to be the driving force, and Winslet, like all great actors, makes the performers around her shine. Because Winslet is the leader of the pair, it is disturbing when the lesser character leads them to do the most unthinkable -- matricide.

The victim of the girls is the most tolerant of the four parents, which creates even more shock when the crime occurs. I was more unhappy with Winslet's character's parents because they don't seem to give a whit for their girl. Feeling alone, the two girls find family with each other, but they take it a bit too deep. They escape into a shared fantasy land where all people become moving golden statues. It is very surreal with Mario Lanza being the golden hero of the dream world and Orson Welles, the claymation villain.

This movie took me to another world in a different way than I had previously experienced with any movie. I loved it. To me it is a 10 out of 10.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looming Darkness.
tfrizzell20 July 2002
Based on a true story that took place in New Zealand in the mid-1950s, "Heavenly Creatures" is one of those films that seems tame at first glance, but is full of explosive devices. Co-writer/director Peter Jackson (of "The Lord of the Rings" fame) crafts a highly-disturbing motion picture about two teenaged girls (Melanie Lynsky and Kate Winslet, in the role that put her on the cinematic map) who have a highly potent relationship that is based on their love for literature and their love for a conjured-up fantasy world. Their intense friendship borders the line on a deep obsession as the two become inseparable. Their parents believe that lesbianism may be part of the partnership. Even though there are dream sequences and undertones aplenty to point to that, the girls' friendship does not go that way in real life. As others try to separate them for good, the girls come up with a devious plan to destroy who they feel is the major culprit (Lynskey's mother, played by Kirsti Ferry). The movie goes into a dark place and its somewhat sweet candy-coating tries to hide the fact that this was a truly major incident in a time and place where things like this just did not occur. Jackson was going for something like Peter Weir's equally disturbing "Picnic at Hanging Rock", but ends up creating a film that runs rings around that disappointing work. Jackson's smart direction just enhances a really intelligent Oscar-nominated screenplay. Kate Winslet does truly steal the show from Lynskey who was meant to be the real focal point of the production. A good film that would lead to even better works for the major players involved. 4 stars out of 5.
39 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Peter Jackson needs to go back and start making movies like this again
MovieAddict201623 January 2006
In retrospect, you'd never know this is a Peter Jackson film. Not after becoming familiar with his recent work, anyway. "Heavenly Creatures" contains all the subtlety and nuances that his later work desperately needs - the graceful arc of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, despite its critical lauding, doesn't hold a candle to this film.

Melanie Lynskey plays Pauline, a young girl who, along with her best friend Juliet (Kate Winslet), often envisions herself in fantasy worlds and alternate realities. The two girls' parents become so worried about their fantasies that they separate the two girls - but, in a fit of rage, Melanie and Juliet plan a dreadful revenge.

Most shocking of all is that this story sounds like some lame supernatural thriller that would be on a made-for-TV special, in which the girls share some kind of psychic connection - but it's not like that at all. It's a true story, and it's handled quite delicately.

The performances are, for the most part, very good. Winslet shines in one of her earlier performances and displays raw talent.

Overall, watching this I couldn't help but be reminded of how talented Peter Jackson used to be, and how lately he has succumbed to making, for lack of a better description, Hollywood shlock. I liked "Lord of the Rings." I liked "King Kong." But this is better.
43 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kate's Big Break
Smells_Like_Cheese12 March 2007
I am a huge fan of Kate Winslet, she is my favorite actress of all time, simply because she is possibly the most honest. It seems like she has the most natural talent and when she has a role she embraces it, recently I had a message from a IMDb user who asked me if I saw this film and if I hadn't, I should due to the fact that Kate was amazing in it. I also noticed it in my "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" book, so I had passed it over at Hollywood Video and figured to give it a look. I noticed also that it was directed by Peter Jackson who is now more famous due to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but I thought this film was really over looked and one of his finest. It's incredibly unique, artistic, and disturbing in some ways.

Pauline is a out cast at school and she meets the new girl, Juliet, together they find out that they have a major thing in common, a wile imagination. They want to write a story together, they go as far as to call each other by their story names and spend time with each other constantly. But the parent's concerns grow more and more as the girls become a little more... "obsessive" of each other. Juliet's parents wish to send to her Africa to live with her aunt, but Juliet and Pauline do not want to let go of each other, and Pauline sees only one obstacle keeping them from seeing each other, her mom. So they devise an evil plan to get rid of her mom, permanently.

Heavenly Creatures was incredibly unique and an amazing film. I couldn't believe my eyes watching this film, it was so interesting to watch, especially being in these girl's minds and imagination. Kate and Melanie had great chemistry and Peter Jackson made this film into his own. I would recommend it for movie buffs and definitely if you want to see how Kate got her start, she was amazing.

10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a tale of two girls, with a certain passion for life, and each other
Quinoa198424 October 2006
Heavenly Creatures may be the best film I've seen so far from Peter Jackson, even after having gone through the Lord of the Rings, King Kong, even Dead-Alive. His film is loaded with so much that it's hard to classify it as one specific thing, and its psychological complexities make it something special. One way to describe the picture is that it's about the stirring friendship-cum-relationship of Pauline (Melanie Lynskey) and Juliet (Kate Winslet) in 1950s New Zealand. Another way to describe it is showing the other side, the much darker side, of a coming of age story, where youth have to come to terms with realities, with horrific results. And even another way is that it's another in a big line of independent films that work on the relationship between fantasy and reality, or rather the practical need for abstractions to try and not get too close to the mundane, and then the all too hard to accept realities around the characters.

But there's another way to describe it too that I like best, and that also marks it as something even more special than some might realize- it's one of those rare, sensational takes on what it's like to be in that dreadful cocoon of an age at 14 and 15, when hormones go completely insane, parents are more of an enemy and force to be reckoned with than a helpful, compassionate side like when younger, and at times the world seems like it could end at any moment if something changed for the worse. This is where I think Jackson strikes it hardest and most fulfilling, even as the other descriptions are not un-true at all. In this case, Juliet and Pauline are at that age, and when they first meet they first connect very strongly, being outsiders in their class, though completely in tune with their fantasy life of romanticized worlds, knights, an opera singer, and (some) male movie stars. But this becomes complicated more once they first get briefly separated due to Juliet's illness, and when they meet again there are suspicions from both sides of the family ('homosexuality' is shown in a close-up shot of the mouth of one of the father's saying it, as if it's like the plague), and the dysfunctions of Juliet's side end up drawing things to its very tragic end.

Along with the substance being at a very high quality, of a script that deftly combines the elements of lush fantasy mixing and matching- sometimes without discerning- through a powerful subjective viewpoint, mostly through Pauline, there's unexpected scenes that are touching. For example, there's a scene where she reluctantly loses her virginity to a boarder, and through this she keeps cutting back and forth in her dulled state to clay knights. This is a motif, I suppose, that is expounded upon alongside the narration from Pauline, which adds her subjectivity to a fault. And all the while the objectivity becomes pushed aside, or at least is questioned. What is it to be so different from how everyone in this 1950s time views their uncommon bond? Whether they are or aren't lesbian is up for debate, it's left ambiguous even when its put up-front in the last twenty minutes. And all the while, Jackson directs it stylistically with the same verve he had with his early films, though balancing the wild fantasy with the grounded reality; he's even playful with it, however dark, which includes a great tip-of-the-hat to Orson Welles and the Third Man.

All the while, too, the performances by the two leads are stellar. It's actually shocking to see Lynskey not get better roles since, as her Pauline is totally defined and made real and, at least in some sort of emotional way at times, relatable or sympathetic. Winslet, meanwhile, has one of her best here, as the more outward one personality-wise of the two, who is even more immersed in the fantasy than Pauline, but has a vulnerability that is crushing. Everything combines together then- the direction, the writing, the performances and the actual mixed psychology behind it, and it becomes quite memorable. It's not a very easy picture to watch at times, and its implications are disturbing, but it has more guts and determination to tell its story full-on than many others I can think of. A+
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Fourth World of the Third Man
tedg29 April 2003
Perhaps the premier concern of modern filmmakers is locating somewhere in the film exactly where the film-making process is. This is often incorrectly called irony, self-reference or the odd construction of reflexivity. I call it 'folding' and it seems to be everywhere and often in rich and engaging forms. Moreover, it seem to be a central concern of the Australian performing arts community. I imagine it can be traced back to a single person in the seventies on Bennelong Point.

So much of what we have gotten from this tradition has enriched us all, not the least of which are the actresses who master folded acting. That's where we get a portrayal of a character and another simultaneous portrayal of an actor portraying that character. Sometimes the 'character' in these two portrayals isn't quite the same. Three mainstream film actresses today can do this. Two are Australian, and one is Kate.

This is her first film, and it is no surprise at all that the filmmaker has chosen to build a structure that is a representation and is about representation. The original, true story is about two girls, enwrapped in mutual fantasy, probably enhanced by the flush of sex, whose fantastic adventures get out of hand. From this, Jackson reshapes it all. It is now a film about films. Now the girls' fantasy world is a Camelot driven by forces in film. They write. They sculpt characters, based on film characters. Those film characters come 'alive' and form a world in which the girls live in parallel with the real world. So far so good.

But Jackson goes further. Some of the film prototypes are simple characters: Mario Lanza-like. Simple glamour with no pretense or irony. But there is the amazing Orson Welles also. Orson is not pretty, he is not direct, he is a folded prototype himself. The two worlds conflict, and that conflict is reflected in each world. In the Borovnian ('borrow'-nian) world, this is a conflict between two clay figures: the Welles and the Lanza, the winner getting to bed and impregnate both princesses. In the 'real' world, the conflict carries over to the two houses, and even within Juliet's house between the bookish metaphysical father and the sexy 'psychologist- but touchy-feely' mother.

Welles was the one who reinvented the ordinary flat world of film into a melange of folding techniques. The film world since the late forties has been a combination of struggles and syntheses between the forth world of Welles and the simple dramatic stage of Griffith.

Even the very young Kate surfs and exploits these levels with aplomb. Even as a teenager she gives us messages from each of these folds - not at precisely the same time as Julianne would later, but strongly nonetheless.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 4: Worth watching.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I kept watching, thinking it HAD to get better. It didn't.
StarRider4014 August 2001
Call me odd, but I thought this was a complete waste of my time. I tried watching it once and got about 1/3 of the way through before I turned it off. Then I decided to give it another chance, figuring it had to improve. It didn't. I understand that this was a true story and was, most likely, shocking to the community. I will also agree that it did, in fact, show the inner workings of an obviously insane mind (or minds). Nevertheless, I was bored out of mine.
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Only the best people fight against all obstacles in the pursuit of happiness."
Anonymous_Maxine29 May 2008
Besides being, to me, a fascinating although eccentric look at an example of every day life in 1950s New Zealand (one of only two or three places in the world that I have wanted to visit all my life), Heavenly Creatures is also the first movie that really shows that talent of Peter Jackson, which may have been overshadowed in his previous career by the sheer quantity of blood and guts that he packed into his earliest films. I have read that a lot of people were initially put off by the premise of an intense loving relationship between two teenage girls, but it should be noted that their relationship, if sexual at all, is sexual in a purely symbolic way. If nothing else, Jackson has made a stupendous achievement of making a film about this relationship and completely preventing any sense of eroticism from creeping up.

The movie tells the shocking true story of two teenage girls who crushed the skull of one of their mothers with a rock, and what led them to commit such a heinous crime. My understanding is that the story is told with a great deal of creative liberties, but the focus is on a kind of friendship that few people ever find. Two girls with strengths and weaknesses that perfectly complement each other, who run through the world at full speed giggling with glee as if unable to understand the pure happiness that they feel when they are together.

Soon, various events come in the way of their friendship. Melanie Lynskey plays Pauline, and Kate Winslet, in her first film role, plays Juliet, who is noticeably horrified when her parents bring up the prospect of leaving the country for a mere three weeks. While separated, they write each other elaborate letters, describing events that take place in an imaginary world that they have created together. When the separations become longer (and more obviously because of parents' misguided (?) concerns about a homosexual relationship), their efforts to remain together become more and more desperate.

As they say, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers, or even the power and danger of a couple of teenage girls bent on maintaining their friendship. People are dangerous in groups, even groups of two (I realize, just this second, that tomorrow morning I have three classes of university students preparing to give final exam presentations in groups of two and three. I hope I haven't made a horrible mistake!!).

Complicating matters for Pauline and Juliet are four wildly unhelpful parents. Juliet's mother is distracted by her disintegrating marriage and futile affairs while her professional father is benevolent and professional but both hapless and helpless, while Pauline's mother is over- controlling and militant about her discipline, and her father seems to just want the whole thing to go away. The parents and the children are pulling in opposite directions, and they pull harder and harder and harder until finally the rope snaps, as it must.

There are a number of truly impressive and memorable sections of the film, such as the presentation of the imaginary world that Pauline and Juliet have created together, particularly the clay characters that populate it. These things make it a movie that is difficult to categorize but easy to remember, and they show a sense of visual style that Jackson later went on to develop even further in the Lord of the Rings films and King Kong. Some say that he will never be able to top the Lord of the Rings movies, but personally I think he still has a few things up his sleeve. We can hope, anyway.

Note – it's well known that the real life Juliet has been revealed to be the successful murder mystery novelist Anne Perry, which is a perfect ending to her story (although I would have expected Pauline to become the writer). Also, Melanie Lynksey has had a surprisingly successful acting career, appearing in many successful films, including a periodic role as the slightly crazy but immensely attractive Rose on 2 ½ Men.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Two Amazing Performances-A True classic
MovieWatchingChick19 August 2006
This movie is one of my all time favorites. While to some the mixture of the fantasy sequences might be a bit much, the overall script, cinematography, music, and performances are simply AMAZING. I guess what I find so incredible about this film is the way Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskie give such complex, layered, believable performances at such young ages. I think Kate Winslet is just an amazing actress, but her performance in Heavenly Creatures was in my opinion far superior to that of hers in Titanic. (not that I didn't think she was excellent in that a well) Melanie Lynskie is also just outstanding & while I have seen her in bit roles in films such as "Coyote Ugly", she is unfortunately very underused in Hollywood as she seems to bring her "A" game to every project she is in. If you want to see a movie that is intense, compelling, tragic and with Oscar worthy performances than do not miss this movie.
Beauty of imagination
jakkiih7 June 2006
Back in the days, not many of us would have believed that Peter Jackson directed something like this. This is one of the most beautiful movies ever made. Jackson's debut, Bad Taste, and the follow-ups Braindead and Meet the Feebles are legendary splatter-classics, not even close to Heavenly Creatures.

Before a quite well known trilogy Jackson directed, he also made movies named Frighteners and Forgotten Silver. Frighteners may be the lowest point of his career but Forgotten Silver is a real masterpiece. So the best works he has done are also the least known.

This movie is based on a true story. It's about a murder, that happened in New-Zealand a long time ago, committed by two teen aged girls. But what is attractive in the movie, is the beautiful fantasy world these two girls have created in their minds. Girls are played by Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey, and they do the roles of their lifetimes. As they are homosexuals, their parents try to separate them, but it doesn't feel like an option for the girls.

This is one of those films I watch every year, and the video cassette I got, is in pretty bad shape already, but I haven't found a DVD yet. When the DVD appears on stores, I'm going to buy it the second I see it.

And I do hope that Peter Jackson would come back to make movies like this, instead of King Kong (which I liked, but anyway...)
This film is "Heavenly"
rparham7 February 2006
Years before he would turn his eye to adapting J.R.R. Tolkien's literary masterpiece, director Peter Jackson made a critical splash (if not a commercial one) with his film Heavenly Creatures. The film brought to screen a real life event in 1954 New Zealand where two girls committed matricide when the possibly of being separated from each other was inevitable. While it may not be as flashy and crowd-pleasing as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Jackson's skill as a filmmaker is on display with Heavenly Creatures and proves he can work outside of the fantasy-action genre.

Early in the film, we are introduced to the characters of Pauline Rieper (Melanie Lynskey) and Juliet Hulme (Kate Winslet, in her first major acting role), two girls who meet at the girl's school they both attend in Christchurch, New Zealand in 1953. The two quickly discover they have much in common: childhood illnesses that prevent them from participating in physical activities, a love of the arts, especially literature, and the opinion that Mario Lanza is the "world's greatest tenor." As their friendship blossoms, the two develop a fantasy realm entitled The 4th World, where the great creators go after they die. They also begin writing an elaborate fantasy novel, generating elaborate backstories for their characters and shortly find themselves referring to each other by names from their fantasy stories. When Juliet contracts tuberculosis and is quarantined from the general population, Pauline writes to her as both her real self and her imaginary character. As time passes, the girls begin to fantasize that their fictional world exists, populated by life-size versions of the clay sculptures they have created for their stories. The closeness of the two doesn't go unnoticed by their respective parents, with Juliet's father (Clive Merrison) beginning to suspect that the relationship between them is becoming "unhealthy" (read: homosexual). The parents begin to attempt to separate the two, but the girls have become almost incapable of functioning without the other. Pauline comes to the conclusion that, after Juliet is intended to move to South Africa, that she must remove the obstacle that prevents her from staying with her friend: her mother.

Heavenly Creatures is very much a story of two isolated outsiders finding a kindred soul in the world and quickly building their entire existence around the other. Pauline is a frumpy, slightly homely girl who is known to scowl and put herself in the corner of a room. Juliet is much more outgoing and contemptuous of authority, correcting her teachers and performing a different lesson than the one assigned. But their commonalties outdistance their differences. Pauline has a bad leg, Juliet problematic lungs, so they spend their excercise hour sitting on the bench, talking to each other, dreaming up their fantasy world. Juliet was separated from her parents for much of her young childhood, Pauline's parents must focus on running a boarding house. Never before have they found another person so in line with what they think and feel, and are naturally drawn to each other. But their relationship is not exactly right: they disappear into their fantasies, envisioning themselves as princesses but their imaginings begin to crowd out the real world, which they find too cold and uncaring. It is easy to see why the two form their bond, but it is also easy to see that they take it too far. Unable to cope with an existence without the other, this clouds everything around them. At the same time, Heavenly Creatures is a tale of parents that are unaware or unconcerned about their children's needs. When Juliet is quarantined to the hospital, her parents go on a multi-week trip to England where her father, a respected professor, can attend a conference. Pauline's parents try to block out her growing sexuality, including an interest shown by a boy who is staying at her parent's home.

The film is based, in part, on diaries kept in 1953 and 1954 by Pauline. She relates in cheerful and excited tones the approaching event that the two decided they must undertake when it is obvious that Juliet is leaving: the murder of Pauline's mother. They lead-up to the event is one of slow, building tension, as we view two innocents about to perform an act completely lacking in innocence.

Jackson displays his affinity for a wild, moving camera even here, filming many sequences in a style not typical of a drama, in some cases to relate the freewheeling nature of the girl's flights of fancy and giddy good time while in the other's company. On the acting front, both Lynskey and Winslet are standouts. Lynskey portrays Pauline's depth of introversion and opening up with her friend expertly. Winselt produces just the right amount of arrogance and surety to give Juliet the appropriate superior attitude when necessary, but eventually this gives way to trepidation as she begins to realize the depth and scope of the act they are preparing to undertake.

Heavenly Creatures is a tale of innocence and friendship taken too far, pushed beyond the boundaries of normalcy. Juliet and Pauline's sin wasn't homosexuality (the film suggests it to some degree, but hardly makes it certain), it was becoming blind to the world outside of their isolated bubble long after it was too late. For those who found Jackson's Lord of the Rings triptych engrossing, they would do well to check out Heavenly Creatures.
Different.
klesker5 July 2004
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

When i say different i mean different to what Peter Jackson had done before this. He may now be the hottest directorial talent around now (with a little trilogy by the name of Lord of the Rings giving him a push in the right direction) but before all that he was notorious around the cult circle for his excessively gruesome yet incredibly funny horror/splatter movies.

As entertaining as these movies may be, they are not cinematic gold like Lord of the Rings or this gem that he churned out in the early 90's. In fact it was this type of movie that proved to the world that Jackson can be a mature and adult film maker if given the right material (another example would be Steven Spielberg and Schindler's List).

This film takes place between the years of 1952 and 1954 and focuses on two young schoolgirls that develop a bizarre friendship in which they create a fantasy world that only they know about. When their relationship appears to become something more than just mutural friends their parents try to put and end to it by separating the two, ending with tragic results.

As with every Peter Jackson movie the film starts off with his usual bravado and energy with the performances played out with his slightly OTT take on the world. There is not a bad performance in this movie, and it also displays Jackson's ability for spotting new talent (this was Kate Winslet's first big role).

However when the relationship starts to take a turn for the worse, Jackson shows his talent as a great film maker. The performances become more subtle and eerily precise as the truly shocking reality of what will happen starts to unfold. The leading ladies become more disturbing than any screen psycho to date, with the added oomph that they are just children.

The ending is the icing on the cake for me and i know that'll sound sick and sadistic to anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing this film, but it just proves what a disturbing picture this is. It shows how far, too far can go and how strong the relationship was if, in the end, it would lead to murder to keep them together.

This is a movie that is endlessly watchable. Definitely a more mature and adult film than the rest of his cannon (apart from LOTR of course) and it also showed the start of what would become a truly great talent that would dominate Hollywood ten years later. There are not many films today that can be funny, compelling, heartbreaking, chilling, disturbing and beautiful all at the same time, but this one pulls it off with effortless ease.

My All-Time Favorite Movie
Peaches3111 June 2003
I must preface this review by saying that "Heavenly Creatures" is my all-time favorite movie. I say that mainly because certain aspects of it remind me of my own youth. I am not a lesbian or a murderer, but I enjoy writing and had a few close friends when I was younger that shared my passion. We created characters and whole worlds, and yes, even the occassional alter ego. Watching "Heavenly Creatures" brought a tear to my eye because I could relate to the close friendship of Juliet Hulme and Pauline Parker. It also made me cry because of where they ended up and also how unfairly their friendship was viewed by their families.

Every time I watch this movie, I want to jump into the TV and stop the characters from their heinous actions. I want the movie, and their true lives, to end up differently, but of course that never will happen. This is a bittersweet film that is filled with sharp dialogue (some of it coming from Pauline Parker's actual journal), as well as amazing actors. I think Melanie Lynsky, who plays Pauline, has yet to get the recognition she deserves for her awesome acting skills, and Kate Winslet is 100 times better in "Heavenly Creatures" than she was in Titanic (the movie for which everyone seems to remember).

To sum this up, "Heavenly Creatures" is a unique and incredible film that will tug at your heartstrings while breaking your heart at the same time.
Ode to Peter Jackson
zaniahva17 December 2005
So many only know him for his newer work (Lord of the Rings Trilogy and King Kong) and have yet to appreciate the genius he is. Heavenly Creatures may not be his best work or most critically acclaimed...but it is brilliant and masterful. It demonstrates his creativity, willingness to break the mold and passion for making a movie what it should be...entertaining. Even matricide. Kate Winslet is brilliant in her role and so is Melanie Lynskey. It almost makes you pity the real life people they were portraying. I don't know if Jackson was trying to make you have a heart for what these girls did or if he just wanted to share the story from their perspective, but it would not have made sense from any other view than the girls. The journals they kept explained their insanity and makes you wonder why they didn't get more time. Only in America, I guess. This is a wonderful piece of work. My favorite of all of Jackson's movies.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible as hell, but beautiful as heaven
jordi_smilo9 May 2005
It's really amazing how a story can be horrible and beautiful at the same time. "Heavenly Creatures" is a movie that proves it really can.

The story is full of fantasy, drama, friendship and strange elements. The combination of personal drama, extraordinary fantasy and suspense thriller keeps you interested.

Besides the story itself, there are also other factors that makes this movie extremely worth watching. Director Peter Jackson is pulling the strings the whole movie, and his direction is like the cherry on the strawberry pie: it's an extra 'golden touch' on "Heavenly Creatures".

And we must not forget the great acting. Sarah Pierse is fine as Mrs Rieper, and Clive Merrison is cast-iron in his role as Mr Hulme. And then there are the two unique leading girls, Melanie Lynskey and Kate Winslet. Lynskey does very well in her very complicated and isolated role as Pauline Rieper, but Winslet exceeds everybody with her fantastic, compelling and terrifying role as Juliet Hulme.

The special effects are really "special" and contribute to the film's pretensions, and also the music does his bit. The movie gives you a little nasty feeling in the stomach, but at the end you know, that you've just seen a really unique film.

To me, "Heavenly Creatures" was a unforgettable watching experience. Just a quarter ago, I've ordered the DVD of this film. And I can't wait to see "Heavenly Creatures" again!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A frighteningly true story of twisted friendship
tomasenespana23 March 2005
This probably has spoilers--so watch out!

Peter Jackson is now best known for his "Lord of the Rings" Trilogy, but this movie, I believe, helped establish him as the right director for that gigantic undertaking. It is creepy--maybe because we know that this story really happened--and as we watch the changes in Pauline and Juliet over the course of the movie, the girls become more and more frightening. Another distinctly eerie aspect of Jackson's film is the entries taken straight out of Pauline's diary. At first mundane and typical of a teenage girl, eventually the diary reflects just how monstrous the girls had become--quotes like, "it was a perfect day to kill Mother," and, "It seemed like she knew what was coming, and wanted it," are so sociopathic it is impossible to see the little girl in either child again.

I watched the movie as part of my Philosophy Goes to the Movies class, and the comments afterward focused on the friendship between the two girls. We asked, "What went wrong?" Obviously something did in their relationship--somewhere along the way, a line was crossed by the two. Jackson does a fine job of immersing the viewer so much in the normal suburban lives of the children that the viewer can't exactly pinpoint when the relationship went murderous. I know many young girls who had the same sort of relationship during their teenage years, but none of them became murderers.

Jackson never comes and and blatantly tells the viewer what it is that forces the girls to kill, he leaves that open to interpretation--maybe it's the anti-homosexual constraining society, maybe it's the sociopathic nature of the little world they created only for the two of them, who knows? Many young children create imaginary worlds, and large amounts of adolescents have homosexual tendencies during puberty--yet not all turn out to be killers. It is a tribute to Jackson to not take a stand on exactly what caused the girls to turn to matricide--many other filmmakers would force their opinion on the audience--Jackson lets our own psyches try to comprehend the girls' motivations.

"Heavenly Creatures" is a disturbing movie--I recommend it to anyone who has only seen Jackson's Ring Trilogy, or who enjoys odd human dramas. It is sure to make you shiver--especially when you learn that Juliet is an established author writing none other than murder mysteries in England. For another good scare read her biography, and pay special attention to what she learned as a teenager.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is polemic,strong and yet great.
Lady_Targaryen20 November 2005
Based in a real story, Heavenly Creatures has the great direction of Peter Jackson years before Lord of the Rings become a success. Pauline Yvonne Rieper and Juliet Hulme, are two teenager girls in the 50's, a very conservative time. Juliet is from the upper class,already traveled around the world, and comes from England to study in the same Conservative catholic school as Pauline, a girl from a lower class, with an anti social behavior and moody. They two become close friends,specially because they both have many similarities: They don't have any friends, they had a hard childhood,needing to be in the hospital with special cares because of their diseases ( Juliet with tuberculosis and Pauline with poliomyelitis)they both enjoy operas and have a lot of creativity. Pauline starts to like Juliet's lifestyle and nice warm family, the life of a upper class where they have freedom to go out together to movie theaters and at the beach (different from her mother Honorah, who was always annoying her,and making her help washing the dishes,cleaning the house and help in the pension). Juliet for the other hand, a pretty and intelligent girl,liked the way Pauline was always giving attention to her and her stories, besides being always there for Juliet,giving her a support.(different from her family, who were always traveling for many places and letting her alone. In her childhood during the war, Juliet says that she was sent to a hospital in the Bahamas to take care of her tuberculosis, being 5 years without seeing her entire family!) Their friendship becomes even stronger and they were so immersed into each other that it became impossible for them to imagine their existence without the other's presence.

But some problems starts to begin: Juliet stay sick again with tuberculosis, making the girls being distant. Juliet's dad and mom are going to get a divorce. Dr. Henry Hulme starts to notice how close his daughter and Pauline were,with intimacies like sharing the same bed, taking bath together and being closed in the room all the time with their stories and ideas. Pauline's mother Honorah was worried as well, even taking Pauline to a psychologist, where she is analyzed with homosexuality.

Then, life for them turns into a hell, with Honorah always fighting and arguing with Pauline ,not letting her stay too close to Juliet, and this one, for the other hand, needing to be sent to south Africa because of the tuberculosis. Afraid of their separation, the story has a tragic and sad ending, with both girls killing Honorah (who in their imagination was the 'problem'to be solved. Pauline thinks that if she kills her mother,she can go with Juliet to South Africa) and going to the jail, where they could never see each other again.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.