Forrest Gump (1994) Poster

(1994)

1,630 Reviews
Life's Lessons in one Movie...
lacey_joeskip725 May 2005
When I first saw this movie I didn't appreciate it like I do now. I think it may have been because I was so young when I first saw it. Just recently I saw the movie again. What an amazing story and moving meaning. That movie teaches you so much about life and the meaning of it. That life isn't as bad as most people make it seem. That an innocent man can impact so many lives with his innocence. The meaning of the movie to me is that everyone needs to have a better outlook on life. That we need to appreciate more of the little things and not let the big things hold us back. That truly although life may throw us trials and tribulations like a box of chocolates but that we have to just bite into it and get through it even if we don't like it. That we all need to hold true to our values and not sink into a place that feels like there's no hope... I just love this movie. And anyone who hasn't seen it or who thinks that don't like it I seriously suggest seeing it or seeing it again. It truly is amazing...
413 out of 476 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A beautiful fable for now and the future
Zonieboy8 April 2002
I believe everyone has a right to their opinion about films or other topics. However from a lot of the comments I have read about this film, I do not think many got the gist of the message from the author and the film maker. This film is a great modern fable, a fable in the dictionary is defined as a brief fictitious story that teaches a moral. There are many morals defined in this film but foremost is integrity and a simple goodness.

I have a half brother who grew up in the Southern U.S. and on one occasion we were discussing this film and he said he felt it portrayed Southerners as dimwitted. I disagreed with him and informed him that the author himself was a native Southerner. The setting is central to this story in that it lets the tale unfold tying in factual events with the fable before us.

The film is wonderfully directed by Robert Zemeckis, the film is his opus and is acted by a great cast on all levels. From the children who were Forrest Gump and Gump Jr. by Haley Joel Osment. Say what you want but I feel Tom Hanks deserved the Oscar award. Gary Sinise is synonymous with Lt.Dan whenever you hear those words. Sally Fields is the loving dutiful mother in her challenging situation. Mykelti Williamson as Bubba gives you a real sense in the story that Gump had a genuine friend, he moves you with his character. Words don't grasp the full performance of Robin Wright Penn as Jenny. Jennys' tenderness and pain are palpable as exhibited by Wright.

I feel that much of Gumps' appeal is his downright sense of doing the right thing regardless of the people and situations around him and we see that in this film. That being the case maybe we all wish we could be just a little more like that, trying to maintain innate goodness and not the trade-offs we often make as we go down lifes highways.

The movie has it all too,drama,comedy and it challenges societal norms as well. Then there are the almost endless quotes from the movie that have slipped into everyday speech. They are too numerous to say at this point.One of the toppers for me in the movie is when Forrest is in a quandary about life and wondering as Lt.Dan said we all have a destiny and his Mom says it is where we are all just floating around like a feather in the wind. Forrest's character terms it very well with this quote,"I think it is a little bit of both." From my experiences in life it does appear to be that way. So if you have not seen the movie,see it soon you are in for a real treat. If you did not like it, give it a try again and hopefully you will see it for the great story it is!
539 out of 627 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In my opinion, no film has touched me more than this one.....
Thomas Hardcastle14 May 2007
Quite simply, the greatest film ever made.

Humour, sadness, action, drama and a Vietnam film all rolled into one.

I'm not a stone cold, heartless villain, but it takes a lot to make me cry when I watch a movie. Bambi's mother, I couldn't care less. Jimmy Stewart in, "Oh, what a wonderful life," - yeah right! The Lion King, when Mufasa bites the big one - on the verge.

But seriously - I bawled my big brown eyes out, on several occasions in this film. A real tear-jerker, and a wonderful character, played to perfection by Tom Hanks. Every bit as worthy for the Oscar as Rooney was to win the Premiership in 2007.

I cannot say it enough: This is THE film of all time. Watch it, and you'll see.
491 out of 595 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Purity and innocence retained
kenhe31 May 2004
I have seen this movie easily a half a dozen times, and I find that the beauty of the film is how Forrest Gump not only shares his innocence and purity with others, including the audience, he also manages to retain that innocence and purity through some very difficult times. As a Viet Nam veteran, and a college graduate of the late Sixties, I could of course personally relate to the various periods that Forrest Gump endures. I would only mention that the skillful and seamless blending of music, action, and period costume was enthralling. And yet it was so perfectly understated that Forrest Gump's travels through thirty five years of the stormiest and most meaningful years of American history only became clearly defined for the viewer. Even more so than the well known chocolates quote as a metaphor for life, I felt that the remark that stupid is what you do is probably more workable for most of us.
296 out of 355 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The zen of Forrest Gump.
sundrymules20 June 2005
This is a powerful yet charming movie; fun for its special effects and profound in how it keeps you thinking long after it's over. Like others, I've seen this movie more than once. One comment I've never heard is that Forrest's simplicity is almost zen-like. I should read the novel to get the author's intention (I remember some people preferring the book and complaining that no one at the Academy Awards gave him any credit.) But rather than an implication that you should do what you're supposed to do and believe in God and you'll win in the end, I see it as zen-like, i.e., living in the moment and not having expectations or particular cravings (other than his loving Jenny.) So he ends up just stumbling into all the major historical events of the time. Granted, he achieves this only because he doesn't have the brains to think otherwise and actually have expectations, but so many of our problems are because we do have higher intellect and desires, which ironically makes us unhappy because we know what we are missing. We love our cats and dogs for the same simplicity and always being in the moment. There's a line in the movie wondering if everything is predestined or happens randomly or it's a combination of both. It is something to mull over for a long time.
360 out of 437 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Let's see the world through the eyes of Forrest Gump
Kristine10 June 2002
"I've made about 20 films and 5 of them are pretty good"-Tom Hanks.

"Forrest Gump" is one of the best movies of all time, guaranteed. I really just love this movie and it has such a special place in my heart. The performances are just so unforgettable and never get out of your head. The characters, I mean the actors turned into them and that's what got to me. The lines are so memorable, touching, and sometimes hilarious.

We have Forrest Gump(Tom Hanks), not the sharpest tool in the box, his I.Q. is right below the average scores. But his mama(Sally Field) believes that her boy has the same opportunities as anyone else and lets Forrest know that there's nothing that could hold him back. As a boy he is put into braces for his legs since he has a crooked back and really doesn't have too many friends. When he gets on a school bus for his first day of school, NO ONE will let him sit next to them. This scene is so heart breaking until you hear a little angel's voice "You can sit here if you want". Jenny, Forrest's best friend and crush, she looks so incredibly innocent and you love her because her and Forrest are like pea's and carrots. But we find out that there is an extremely unfortunate side to her life, she has a father that's "always kissing and touching her and her sisters". Forrest just assumes that it's a father's love since he doesn't have a dad that could show him that it's wrong.

Forrest and Jenny together walk every day from school and when these kids start throwing rocks at Forrest calling him stupid, Jenny just tells Forrest "Run, Forrest! Run!". He miraculously breaks the braces off his legs and run like the wind blows. Forrest meets many celebrities from his life that just happened to be there: Elvis Presley visited his house before hitting it big, President Kennedy honored him with a all American football award, President Johnson who honored him with a medal of honor for his actions in Vietnam, President Nixon(in which Forrest happens to discover a problem in the Water Gate Hotel because some people seem to be flashing lights around), and John Lennon through a talk show to talk about his medal of honor.

Forrest meets some interesting people along the way too that are even better than these celebrities combined; Bubba his Vietnam war friend who dreams of owning a shrimp boat one day and was born with big gums. He is just so wonderful and charming and won't stop talking about shrimp. Luteniet Dan, a leader of Forrest's army in Vietnam who gets saved by Forrest during a huge attack and looses his legs as a result. Luteniet Dan was by far my favorite character, he has so much pride and wants to die in Vietnam due to his family history tradition of dying in every single American war. He and Forrest make quite a pair. And of course there's Jenny, a very tragic figure, she gets more mean as she grows up because she knows that Forrest loves her, in some ways you can't blame her really. She was obviously abused and I think she felt that Forrest was too good for her or that he couldn't really give her the love she wanted. Robin Wright, what a beautiful and wonderful actress.

This movie is incredible and should be seen by everyone. I am not kidding, "Forrest Gump" is a remarkable movie and inspires everyone. It's not just about someone stupid who happens to be in great places and historic events just because of being in the right place at the right time. This story is beautiful and will inspire everyone to go the distance and see the world like Forrest did and will never give up on their dreams.

189 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
why such a low rating???
adinutzza200114 February 2005
What I find completely ridiculous is why this movie, in my opinion one of the best ever, has such a low rating, so I've tried to figure out what some found against it.I noticed that the haters of this movie who make it have a lower rating than it actually deserves mainly argue that it promotes the government's politics of submission: the idea that "if you're an idiot but you do what you're told then you will be rewarded, but, if you experience life then you're going to die a miserable death." I'm not an American myself so i don't have any intention to defend the government or anyone else, but I think that the political events witnessed by the character in the movie make many miss the whole substance of the film. I think these bits of history only add to the magic of the film, making Forrest part of a fantastic world that seems so incredibly real though.

How can somebody say that Forrest is just an idiot, an ordinary person who does everything that he is told to do? It appears to me that in fact,in his innocence, Forrest does what he feels he has to do,no matter the situations and the people around him, lead only by an inner sense of right. So what actually seems to be special about Forrest is that, regardless of his intelligence, he has the capacity to discover simple truth and life values that all the others around him miss: he tries to save Bubba endangering his own life, he gives Bubba's family money and mainly displays simple goodness in everything he does.

So if you haven't yet seen the movie or you were disappointed by it, try watching it without analyzing things that much and just open your heart towards that world. The brilliant humour, the hilarious yet touching acting, the special effects and the uplifting message are totally rewarding.
404 out of 514 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tom Hanks delivers an astounding performance as Forrest Gump.
schmimic23 April 2005
Starring: Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise, Sally Field This was flat out one of the best movies of 1994. It won best picture for a reason, along with a few other Academy Awards. I think one of the tag lines for the movie was, "The world will never be the same once you've seen it through the eyes of Forrest Gump." How true. The movie is basically one simple man's journey through life. And what a journey.

The movie opens with Forrest (Hanks) sitting at a bus stop, waiting to go see Jenny (Wright) after being apart from her for years. Who is Jenny, you ask? We'll get to that in a minute. Forrest strikes up a conversation or two with the people that come and wait for the bus with him. Or, more accurately, he keeps talking regardless of whether anybody is listening or not. The movie plays out as a flashback, with Forrest taking us through all the major events of his life and narrating them.

The flashback starts when Forrest is a little boy, about six years old or so, just at about the age where he should be starting school. We get to take a look at Forrest's childhood as he gets leg braces to straighten out his back, as his momma (Field) fights (and does a few other things) to get him into public school, and as he meets for the first time the love of his life. Jenny. He meets her on the way to school, sitting next to her on the bus, and they strike up a friendship immediately.

Eventually we progress to the point where Forrest and Jenny are in high school, and we travel along with Forrest as he makes it onto the football team and gets to go to college. Forrest and Jenny never date, but he's always there to protect her. Anytime he thinks she's in trouble, he rushes to the rescue, ready to beat the ever-loving snot out of anyone who even looks at his Jenny wrong. I think one of my favorite scenes in the movie is when someone is dumb enough to slap Jenny. The film goes slow motion, Forrest's eyes go wide, and he starts charging at this guy like a runaway locomotive, and has the striking force of one too. Watching him beat the crap out of that guy is hilarious.

As Forrest grows up and goes through school, college, the army, a Vietnam tour, becomes a ping pong celebrity, a shrimp boat captain, and eventually one of the richest men out there, he also gets to take a few stops in history as the filmmaker gives us his own spin of how he thinks history would have happened if Forrest Gump were there. He gets to meet the President three times, he's the man who exposes the Watergate scandal, he's at the school doors when Governor George Wallace tries to get some Negroes into a white school, and so on and so forth. It's really funny the way they manipulate historical footage to insert Forrest into the events of the past.

This is truly a great movie. You'd be a fool to miss it.

Bottom Line: 4 out of 4 (own this movie)
176 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Forrest Gump is a movie masterpiece that won't be forgotten and will continue to inspire
blairgallop715 December 2007
He may have been good in Philadelphia but be is excellent in Forrest Gump.Tom Hanks delivers another great performance in his career by portraying the lovable,king yet not so intelligent character Forrest Gump.It is also Tom Hanks' second straight win for the Best Actor Oscar which he becomes the second man to do said accomplishment after Spencer Tracy.Whilst not as dramatic as Philadelphia,Tom Hanks' performance is just as great in this movie and this movie could possibly be the film of Tom Hanks' career as he used to be a comedy guy who turned to drama in a way which would paved for future stars such as Jim Carrey(The Truman Show),Reese Witherspoon(Walk the Line) and Will Ferrell(Stranger Than Fiction) to name a few.Also staring in this great movie classic are Robin Wright-Penn who plays Jenny,Gary Sinise who was nominated for an Academy Award for his portrayal of Lieutenant Dan Taylor,Mykelti Williamson as Forrest's best friend and shrimper Benjamin Buford"Bubba" Blue and Sally Field as Mrs.Gump.This film was nominated for a total of thirteen Academy Awards but won six of them which include Best Film Editing,Best Visual Effects,Best Adapted Screenplay,Best Picture,Best Director-Robert Zemeckis and Best Actor-Tom Hanks.This is one masterpiece of a movie that will not be forgotten about in a long time.Bravo!
108 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Even After Twenty Years the Film Still Holds Up
Michael_Elliott30 April 2016
Forrest Gump (1994)

**** (out of 4)

Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks), a slow but simple man from Alabama takes us through decades of his life, which includes various historical settings but all the while his heart is on Jenny (Robin Wright Penn), a childhood friend.

FORREST GUMP was released and quickly became a huge hit and ended up winning many Oscars. Today, for whatever reason, the film seems to be hated by many people because of the movies it beat out. I've never really understood putting too much importance on Oscars or any other award show and I really don't understand why one movie must take a beating just because of what films it beat out. ORDINARY PEOPLE takes a beating because it beat RAGING BULL. Something like DANCES WITH WOLVES takes a beating because it beat GOODFELLAS. Then there's FORREST GUMP that takes a beating because it beat out PULP FICTION or THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

As far as the film itself goes I think this is a great one. I've always liked how the film took a look at a simple person's life and a simple person who is always in very big situations yet never really understands it. There are countless bits of dialogue that are remembered by mans and they've entered the public IQ but the one dealing with knowing what love is is the one that always caught my attention as far as what this film is about. To me Gump goes through all these historic things yet it's always his love for Jenny that is the heart of the picture.

I thought the story itself was quite great and especially how we take a look at American history through the 60s, 70s and 80s. I know some people make this a political movie but I've always found that to be rather foolish. The film has a wonderful soundtrack to highlight the various eras that are shown and we also get some clever use of CGI to put Gump in the presence of people like JFK and Richard Nixon. The screenplay hits all the right notes and there's no question that technically speaking the film is impressive.

Then there are the performances that really make the movie. Hanks picked up his second Best Actor award and while I personally would have given it to Paul Newman for his performance in NOBODY'S FOOL, there's no question that Hanks is great here. He certainly nailed that "simple" man and there's not a false moment in the performance. Gary Sinise is wonderful in his role as is Mykelti Williamson in his small bit. Robin Wright Penn is the perfect opposite to Hank's character and Sally Field is good as well.

No matter what people say, FORREST GUMP is still a wonderful little gem that has a lot of great things in it.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Contemporary classic: one of my all-time faves
george.schmidt13 March 2003
FORREST GUMP (1994) **** Tom Hanks, Sally Field, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise, Mykelti Williamson. Brilliantly directed and inspiring comic drama about the truly extraordinary life and times of mentally challenged Forrest Gump (Hanks in the best role of his career won his second Best Actor Oscar in back-to-back winning roles), a simple, honest, and decent man whose childlike innocence is his lucky charm through his altering experiences that span the past two decades flawlessly. Mind-boggling Oscar-winning computerized effects by Industrial Light & Magic has Gump meeting the famous and infamous. Hanks is a wonder (dare you not to get a lump in your throat when it finally registers that he has a child {yes, that's Haley Joel Osment}- watch his face!) and gets fine support especially Wright as the love of his life and Sinise as his best friend (Best Supporting Actor nominee) superior adaptation of Winston Groom's novel by Eric Roth (also an Academy Award recepient) that truly captures lightning in a bottle. Oscars also went to director Robert Zemeckis and for Best Picture. *** One of my all-time favorite flicks. I still cry, particularly Forrest telling Jenny why he loves her so much ("You're my girl!") and at the gravesite when the birds fly overhead.
139 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite possibly the best movie ever made.
john in missouri1 December 2007
I've seen most of the top-voted 30 or 40 movies here at IMDb, and Forrest Gump probably wins my vote for the single best movie ever made.

This is not a conclusion I came to the first time I saw this film, or the second. The more you understand about this movie, the more you like it. And in terms of understanding it, my wife and I both were still gaining new understanding the 5th or 6th time we watched it. (For example: Why does Jenny behave exactly as she does throughout the movie? It'll take a lot of thinking to =fully= understand her.)

Just the fact that we've seen it at least half a dozen times says a lot. There are few movies that I ever even give a second viewing.

Like many of the truly good movies, there are people out there who see it once and consider it to be a waste of time. Such people are usually just looking for the most "action," gore and sex they can find, and haven't a clue about films that actually involve thought, ideas, and life.

Did I mention the script is absolutely brilliant? There are a lot of =truly= funny moments. And the music rocks. But those are only specific aspects of a movie that has just about everything else right about it as well.

See it, enjoy it, think about it, see it again. Think about it some more. Forrest Gump is one of the greatest movies -- if not THE greatest -- ever made.
129 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dropping My Keys
inspectors7119 May 2016
I remember John Byner, the stand-up comic and impressionist of the 1970s talking about guys crying at movies, how it's not an acceptable behavior. He advised the men in his audience to drop their keys, do something that gets them to lean forward, wipe their faces, and get things under control.

I dropped my keys watching Forrest Gump. Lieutenant Dan comes over the hill at Forrest and Jenny's wedding, new legs, fiancé at his side, clean-cut and happy.

Forrest states the obvious, "Lieutenant Dan, you gawt le-eggs!"

And the water-works just started to flow.

I sit up straight and clear my throat. Got 'em (the keys, that is). My wife leans over and gives me a kiss. She says, "That's why I love you."

Other than a few historical fussinesses and plot slickeries, none of which are worth mentioning, this is as close to a perfect, emotionally-satisfying entertainment as I have ever seen.

I love this movie. I never tire of the simple story of the guy with the lowest IQ in the room being the smartest guy in the room. It's filled with a patriotic decency you can only find in The Wizard of Oz and To Kill a Mockingbird.

When Dorothy is aching for home and the Wizard can't deliver, I drop my keys. When Scout points to the man behind Jem's bedroom door and says, "Hey, Boo," the fob goes flying.

The next time I get out my copy to show to my 11th Grade US History kids, I'll start fingering my key chain.

I can't help it.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Forrest, Forrest Gump.. The greatest.
matt7226 September 2015
There is an unfortunate time when you watch this film, its not the film thats the problem its my highly evident fear of the next few films I watch just seeming so bad. For simply not being this. Its everything. Its a romantic-comedy-tragedy-life-story-historical-personal- uplifting-war story. Every time I watch it I go on an emotional journey with the characters that are quickly built up in the world around Forrest. There is not much more I can say about this film that will say how much i like it, apart from award it the accolade that is; My favourite film. Over time the film stands up, the performances seem to get better knowing how Hanks has gone on to be a great actor. His supporting cast do a great job of making the world of the film feel believable.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
heart-warming family type movie
dolphin-8990111 January 2016
i don't usually watch many family type movies, but forrest gump is honestly one of my favourite movies to watch with my son and partner. tom hanks is a wonderful actor and in this movie it shows! there are some tears, some comedy, some laughter, some sadness, just basically a lot of emotions that shows we are all human in one way or another. i never get tired of watching it and seem to learn life lessons every time i watch it because i have forgotten some small phrase or action or something, then think oh wow forgot about that! then it seems familiar like an old friend - it is that sort of movie. very highly recommend it to anyone!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A classic film that cant be see enough
steelej09930 December 2015
A classic Robert Zemeckis film. The movie captures the life of Forrest perfectly. Its sweet and charming, it contains true depth and grace to its characters and story. Its an accomplished feat of cyber-cinema that it tricks, not to mention subtler ones, look amazingly seamless. As he did in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and the "Back to the Future" films, Robert Zemeckis is bound to leave viewers marveling at the sheer wizardry behind such effects. Even the opening credit sequence, featuring a feather that drifts along a perfectly choreographed trajectory until it reaches its precise destination. The movie grabs the attention of most people. SEE IT
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best films of the 90's
MisterWhiplash1 April 2000
Winston Groom's Forrest Gump was a novel that was complicated, but (Oscar winning) director Robert Zemeckis brings events together with visual effects that boggle even George Lucas.

And leading the film in this odyssey of American life is Tom Hanks playing Gump (he won his second Oscar for his portrayal) in a film that shows one man who goes through many events in history to find the one he loves. Well done, well acted, and well directed to pythagorean procision. A++
140 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tom Hanks' best performance
fernanda monteiro22 December 2006
This awesome movie is about an innocent man who represents how the world should be: he's loyal, humble, honest, he would never cheat or lie. He does everything with good heart and reaches success at the most important tasks of life.

Only in America he could live such an interesting life: meet Elvis Presley, President Kennedy, John Lennon... He goes to Vietnam's war and he does everything following his heart. He becomes an American hero.

Gary Sinise is a great American actor in his best performance too. He served in Vietnam with Forrest and was also a hero, protecting his men and fighting for his country.

All in all this is a must-see movie for everyone, specially for non-Americans, so we can enjoy American culture and icons, as well as learn some American history, which is very useful.
175 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shawshank Robbed, but this is Great
Mycroft Smith25 July 2012
I'd say this is a 94/100 type movie, it sticks in my mind as something that don't forget easily.

Tom Hanks is brilliant in this film, as his portrayal of somebody who just isn't too bright is spot on. There are also several lines in this movie that are classics- in particular the "Life is like a box of chocolates" line.

I don't think it's a particularly deep film for the most part at first, because the story is quite simple. But simple stories can and are often times quite deep- take Aesop's fables for example.

It's a shame that in the back of my mind that I have to compare this to Shawshank, because that's my favorite movie and they both came out the same year.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
7 Year-Olds Give The Best Movie Reviews Ever
dougherty-victoria4 February 2015
Can't take credit for this gem. Even if I am her mother.

Forest Gump: Movie review by Josephine

So, it's about this really stupid grown-up and there's blood and stuff and it's not appropriate for anyone else in my class, probably, but, you know, you guys let me watch stuff like this. What is up with that? And there's this really bad girl named Jenny, and I hated her clothes. But once she cuts her hair she turns good again. And a guy with no legs, who was weird. He made shrimp, which is gross, except for the popcorn kind. He got a lot better when he cut his hair, too. I liked it. It was funny. Can I watch it again tonight?
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Amazing Movie
tightspotkilo19 November 2008
I saw this movie in the theaters back in 1994. When it was released on VHS I obtained that version. I've watched the movie about once every two years since then. This is an amazing movie in any number of ways. One big way it amazes me, is the way which it, as a simple and guileless little story, like a feather wafting in the breeze, nevertheless evokes raw rank hatred and eyeball-bulging, forehead vein-popping, spittle-spewing vitriol from liberals and so-called "intellectuals" who are absolutely certain that, like a guided missile, it is seeking them out, intentionally, personally, to insult them with rightwing thoughts and ideas, and by a nitwit character no less. Hahahaha. As if.

So let's first thing pop that little pea right out of the shooter. Let's dispense with the bilge of this movie being some kind of sub rosa rightwing plot. Puh-leeeze. This is a mainstream Hollywood production. Robert Zemeckis, Tom Hanks, Sally Field, and Robin Wright Penn are all known Hollywood lefties, liberal devotees who would take the pipe long before allowing themselves to be associated with or be used by anything akin a rightwing movie, let alone be openly and voluntarily involved in making one. Bottom line, this is not a political movie. This is not a movie which is making any kind of political or social statements in any respect. People who think it is doing any of that are just working way too hard over-thinking it all. Period. It's odd because it's really not all that complicated of a thing to understand. Which leads directly to another amazing thing about this movie: it is amazing the way the simple little message the movie is actually sending just sails right over so many people's heads. Amazingly they just don't get it, and based on the comments here they still aren't getting it 14 years later and counting. So if you fall into that category let me help you out.

What is the message of Forrest Gump? Stripped to its purest essence, this movie is about loyalty and devotion, particularly to the ones in our lives we love and care about. These are the human values being reinforced. Loyalty. Devotion. Forrest Gump embodies loyalty and devotion. To his mama. To his good best buddy Bubba. To the love of his life, Jenny. To his leader, Lt. Dan. And in the end to Forrest Jr. One by one and all together Forrest sticks by and takes care of his family, friends, and loved ones. This is the thread running through the entire story. This is what carries Forrest to all of the remarkable places he goes along the way.

The use of a mentally challenged man as the leading man is a conceit, used to illustrate the point that loyalty and devotion are the most important things in life, trumping everything else. It drives home the point that nothing else really matters anywhere near as much. Indeed, it drives it home with blunt force. Maybe it drives it home too hard for such a simple little point. Maybe this is where the movie's detractors get themselves side-tracked.

There are a number of other amazing and remarkable things about this movie. The performances. The special effects. The almost poetic simplicity of the story and the way it is told. See it for all this and more, but please, don't over-think it.
34 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Heart Warming
rickeypinkney18 October 2015
This movie was amazing. It reminds me of my rises and falls in my life and just seeing how resilient Forrest Gump became was really inspiring. He had so much to offer the world, even when no one saw his ability to contribute to society. He did everything from leading a football team to a championship, to being a war hero. Even through the tough times in high school to the frantic relationship with Jenny, Forrest still remained humble and resilient. Any anti-bullying campaign, in my opinion, should use Forrest Gump as a prime example. Maybe even go as far as showing the movie. The movie also shows what it truly means to keep a promise. The promises that Forrest made to his mother, Bubba, Jenny and Lieutenant Dan were all kept. His love, passion, drive and spiritual understanding were all unconditional. What an amazing movie
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a very good movie
murphaus21 April 2016
Tho Forrest Gump is a great movie i would have done some things different, like i would of had a back story more on his father was kinda left out. Also we never figured out what happened to jenny's father kinda just briefly got taken out of the picture. where did he go what happened? It seems whoever wrote this was against fatherly figures, lutenist Dan was one of the only fatherly figures in the movie.but other than that this movie a great movie and i love it. Forrest gump should have won more than one Oscar and should be in the hall of fame. Forrest will go down in history forever my kids will always watch this movie with the family.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This film is basically about a man with a mental disability who falls in love and this film is like his autobiography.
annabjorkdahl13 February 2016
This might just be the best movie I have ever seen! It made me all kinds of emotional. There are parts that are so funny you will spit out your drink but other parts make it hard to swallow. Forest Gump is a simple man with a simple heart but he sure knows how to tell a story. This is my favorite movie of all time and I wish I could watch it again for the first time. I find that the worst part of the movie is the ending with Jennie. I think the only thing that disturbs me is that Jennie only comes to Forest when she is sick and no one else will take her and then she left... I felt as if Forest deserved more respect than that. However, the rest of the movie is golden. I 100% recommend it anyone in the world.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When do you start living the life, Just to Just Enjoy it?.
Poco Zocko29 April 2016
Forrest Gump (1994)is a Movie I have alwas related to.Growing up as a young child surviving on my own. I Viewed but never let the treachery around me slow me down from the task at hand.

The Same is true with The (1994)Forrest Gump. Every Event He knew what was and he Lived his life Straight.

It is Wonderful seeing a Personality that continues to take on each plot and adventure that arises up infront of them. Life IS all 1 long improved.

When doors opens, you throw stones to see what the opportunities are. If it feels right , Enjoy and do it to the best of your ability. But to take yourself beyond that would be reasonably expected of you Life is like a Box of Chocolate..
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this