Forrest Gump (1994) Poster

(1994)

2,486 Reviews
Let's see the world through the eyes of Forrest Gump
Smells_Like_Cheese10 June 2002
"I've made about 20 films and 5 of them are pretty good"-Tom Hanks.

"Forrest Gump" is one of the best movies of all time, guaranteed. I really just love this movie and it has such a special place in my heart. The performances are just so unforgettable and never get out of your head. The characters, I mean the actors turned into them and that's what got to me. The lines are so memorable, touching, and sometimes hilarious.

We have Forrest Gump(Tom Hanks), not the sharpest tool in the box, his I.Q. is right below the average scores. But his mama(Sally Field) believes that her boy has the same opportunities as anyone else and lets Forrest know that there's nothing that could hold him back. As a boy he is put into braces for his legs since he has a crooked back and really doesn't have too many friends. When he gets on a school bus for his first day of school, NO ONE will let him sit next to them. This scene is so heart breaking until you hear a little angel's voice "You can sit here if you want". Jenny, Forrest's best friend and crush, she looks so incredibly innocent and you love her because her and Forrest are like pea's and carrots. But we find out that there is an extremely unfortunate side to her life, she has a father that's "always kissing and touching her and her sisters". Forrest just assumes that it's a father's love since he doesn't have a dad that could show him that it's wrong.

Forrest and Jenny together walk every day from school and when these kids start throwing rocks at Forrest calling him stupid, Jenny just tells Forrest "Run, Forrest! Run!". He miraculously breaks the braces off his legs and run like the wind blows. Forrest meets many celebrities from his life that just happened to be there: Elvis Presley visited his house before hitting it big, President Kennedy honored him with a all American football award, President Johnson who honored him with a medal of honor for his actions in Vietnam, President Nixon(in which Forrest happens to discover a problem in the Water Gate Hotel because some people seem to be flashing lights around), and John Lennon through a talk show to talk about his medal of honor.

Forrest meets some interesting people along the way too that are even better than these celebrities combined; Bubba his Vietnam war friend who dreams of owning a shrimp boat one day and was born with big gums. He is just so wonderful and charming and won't stop talking about shrimp. Luteniet Dan, a leader of Forrest's army in Vietnam who gets saved by Forrest during a huge attack and looses his legs as a result. Luteniet Dan was by far my favorite character, he has so much pride and wants to die in Vietnam due to his family history tradition of dying in every single American war. He and Forrest make quite a pair. And of course there's Jenny, a very tragic figure, she gets more mean as she grows up because she knows that Forrest loves her, in some ways you can't blame her really. She was obviously abused and I think she felt that Forrest was too good for her or that he couldn't really give her the love she wanted. Robin Wright, what a beautiful and wonderful actress.

This movie is incredible and should be seen by everyone. I am not kidding, "Forrest Gump" is a remarkable movie and inspires everyone. It's not just about someone stupid who happens to be in great places and historic events just because of being in the right place at the right time. This story is beautiful and will inspire everyone to go the distance and see the world like Forrest did and will never give up on their dreams.

352 out of 417 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In my opinion, no film has touched me more than this one.....
thomas-hardcastle-214 May 2007
Quite simply, the greatest film ever made.

Humour, sadness, action, drama and a Vietnam film all rolled into one.

I'm not a stone cold, heartless villain, but it takes a lot to make me cry when I watch a movie. Bambi's mother, I couldn't care less. Jimmy Stewart in, "Oh, what a wonderful life," - yeah right! The Lion King, when Mufasa bites the big one - on the verge.

But seriously - I bawled my big brown eyes out, on several occasions in this film. A real tear-jerker, and a wonderful character, played to perfection by Tom Hanks. Every bit as worthy for the Oscar as Rooney was to win the Premiership in 2007.

I cannot say it enough: This is THE film of all time. Watch it, and you'll see.
818 out of 983 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful fable for now and the future
Zonieboy8 April 2002
I believe everyone has a right to their opinion about films or other topics. However from a lot of the comments I have read about this film, I do not think many got the gist of the message from the author and the film maker. This film is a great modern fable, a fable in the dictionary is defined as a brief fictitious story that teaches a moral. There are many morals defined in this film but foremost is integrity and a simple goodness.

I have a half brother who grew up in the Southern U.S. and on one occasion we were discussing this film and he said he felt it portrayed Southerners as dimwitted. I disagreed with him and informed him that the author himself was a native Southerner. The setting is central to this story in that it lets the tale unfold tying in factual events with the fable before us.

The film is wonderfully directed by Robert Zemeckis, the film is his opus and is acted by a great cast on all levels. From the children who were Forrest Gump and Gump Jr. by Haley Joel Osment. Say what you want but I feel Tom Hanks deserved the Oscar award. Gary Sinise is synonymous with Lt.Dan whenever you hear those words. Sally Fields is the loving dutiful mother in her challenging situation. Mykelti Williamson as Bubba gives you a real sense in the story that Gump had a genuine friend, he moves you with his character. Words don't grasp the full performance of Robin Wright Penn as Jenny. Jennys' tenderness and pain are palpable as exhibited by Wright.

I feel that much of Gumps' appeal is his downright sense of doing the right thing regardless of the people and situations around him and we see that in this film. That being the case maybe we all wish we could be just a little more like that, trying to maintain innate goodness and not the trade-offs we often make as we go down lifes highways.

The movie has it all too,drama,comedy and it challenges societal norms as well. Then there are the almost endless quotes from the movie that have slipped into everyday speech. They are too numerous to say at this point.One of the toppers for me in the movie is when Forrest is in a quandary about life and wondering as Lt.Dan said we all have a destiny and his Mom says it is where we are all just floating around like a feather in the wind. Forrest's character terms it very well with this quote,"I think it is a little bit of both." From my experiences in life it does appear to be that way. So if you have not seen the movie,see it soon you are in for a real treat. If you did not like it, give it a try again and hopefully you will see it for the great story it is!
746 out of 865 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Purity and innocence retained
kenhe31 May 2004
I have seen this movie easily a half a dozen times, and I find that the beauty of the film is how Forrest Gump not only shares his innocence and purity with others, including the audience, he also manages to retain that innocence and purity through some very difficult times. As a Viet Nam veteran, and a college graduate of the late Sixties, I could of course personally relate to the various periods that Forrest Gump endures. I would only mention that the skillful and seamless blending of music, action, and period costume was enthralling. And yet it was so perfectly understated that Forrest Gump's travels through thirty five years of the stormiest and most meaningful years of American history only became clearly defined for the viewer. Even more so than the well known chocolates quote as a metaphor for life, I felt that the remark that stupid is what you do is probably more workable for most of us.
355 out of 442 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dropping My Keys
inspectors7119 May 2016
I remember John Byner, the stand-up comic and impressionist of the 1970s talking about guys crying at movies, how it's not an acceptable behavior. He advised the men in his audience to drop their keys, do something that gets them to lean forward, wipe their faces, and get things under control.

I dropped my keys watching Forrest Gump. Lieutenant Dan comes over the hill at Forrest and Jenny's wedding, new legs, fiancé at his side, clean-cut and happy.

Forrest states the obvious, "Lieutenant Dan, you gawt le-eggs!"

And the water-works just started to flow.

I sit up straight and clear my throat. Got 'em (the keys, that is). My wife leans over and gives me a kiss. She says, "That's why I love you."

Other than a few historical fussinesses and plot slickeries, none of which are worth mentioning, this is as close to a perfect, emotionally-satisfying entertainment as I have ever seen.

I love this movie. I never tire of the simple story of the guy with the lowest IQ in the room being the smartest guy in the room. It's filled with a patriotic decency you can only find in The Wizard of Oz and To Kill a Mockingbird.

When Dorothy is aching for home and the Wizard can't deliver, I drop my keys. When Scout points to the man behind Jem's bedroom door and says, "Hey, Boo," the fob goes flying.

The next time I get out my copy to show to my 11th Grade US History kids, I'll start fingering my key chain.

I can't help it.
75 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forrest Gump is a movie masterpiece that won't be forgotten and will continue to inspire
blairgallop715 December 2007
He may have been good in Philadelphia but be is excellent in Forrest Gump.Tom Hanks delivers another great performance in his career by portraying the lovable,king yet not so intelligent character Forrest Gump.It is also Tom Hanks' second straight win for the Best Actor Oscar which he becomes the second man to do said accomplishment after Spencer Tracy.Whilst not as dramatic as Philadelphia,Tom Hanks' performance is just as great in this movie and this movie could possibly be the film of Tom Hanks' career as he used to be a comedy guy who turned to drama in a way which would paved for future stars such as Jim Carrey(The Truman Show),Reese Witherspoon(Walk the Line) and Will Ferrell(Stranger Than Fiction) to name a few.Also staring in this great movie classic are Robin Wright-Penn who plays Jenny,Gary Sinise who was nominated for an Academy Award for his portrayal of Lieutenant Dan Taylor,Mykelti Williamson as Forrest's best friend and shrimper Benjamin Buford"Bubba" Blue and Sally Field as Mrs.Gump.This film was nominated for a total of thirteen Academy Awards but won six of them which include Best Film Editing,Best Visual Effects,Best Adapted Screenplay,Best Picture,Best Director-Robert Zemeckis and Best Actor-Tom Hanks.This is one masterpiece of a movie that will not be forgotten about in a long time.Bravo!
171 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite possibly the best movie ever made.
john in missouri1 December 2007
I've seen most of the top-voted 30 or 40 movies here at IMDb, and Forrest Gump probably wins my vote for the single best movie ever made.

This is not a conclusion I came to the first time I saw this film, or the second. The more you understand about this movie, the more you like it. And in terms of understanding it, my wife and I both were still gaining new understanding the 5th or 6th time we watched it. (For example: Why does Jenny behave exactly as she does throughout the movie? It'll take a lot of thinking to =fully= understand her.)

Just the fact that we've seen it at least half a dozen times says a lot. There are few movies that I ever even give a second viewing.

Like many of the truly good movies, there are people out there who see it once and consider it to be a waste of time. Such people are usually just looking for the most "action," gore and sex they can find, and haven't a clue about films that actually involve thought, ideas, and life.

Did I mention the script is absolutely brilliant? There are a lot of =truly= funny moments. And the music rocks. But those are only specific aspects of a movie that has just about everything else right about it as well.

See it, enjoy it, think about it, see it again. Think about it some more. Forrest Gump is one of the greatest movies -- if not THE greatest -- ever made.
226 out of 306 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Charm
Hitchcoc7 April 2006
Every once in a while, something comes along that hasn't been done before. This movie is one of those things. First of all, we have a principal character whose take on life is one where you don't judge it; you live it. I know he's a film character. It doesn't matter because we use images such as these to inspire us and to give us our own way of treating each day. Forrest lets no grass grow under his feet. He is the consummate optimist. He doesn't complain because he sees early on that it does you no good. His life is one adventure after another, in and out of the public eye, but his shyness and demeanor don't ever get to his head. He is the epitome of patience, something sadly lacking in the lives of most Americans. He is pushed around by the gusts of time and always lands on his feet. His relationship with a troubled girl is the one consistent thing in his life, and that is also shows his pugnaciousness. There are some commentators and reviewers who call this character stupid. He is a slow processor, but his stability lies in his morality and his consistency. His mother raised him well.

Tom Hanks has become our new Jimmy Stewart. His roles are about human emotion and dedication. He is the everyman in many ways. Obviously, the subject matter has changed, but you can bank on his decision making when it comes to film.

The other heroes are the special effects people. They are able to make this work; to create an incredible world for him to function within. The news clips are quite marvelous. I usually put this film in my top ten.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best films of the 90's
Quinoa19841 April 2000
Winston Groom's Forrest Gump was a novel that was complicated, but (Oscar winning) director Robert Zemeckis brings events together with visual effects that boggle even George Lucas.

And leading the film in this odyssey of American life is Tom Hanks playing Gump (he won his second Oscar for his portrayal) in a film that shows one man who goes through many events in history to find the one he loves. Well done, well acted, and well directed to pythagorean procision. A++
160 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The zen of Forrest Gump.
sundrymules20 June 2005
This is a powerful yet charming movie; fun for its special effects and profound in how it keeps you thinking long after it's over. Like others, I've seen this movie more than once. One comment I've never heard is that Forrest's simplicity is almost zen-like. I should read the novel to get the author's intention (I remember some people preferring the book and complaining that no one at the Academy Awards gave him any credit.) But rather than an implication that you should do what you're supposed to do and believe in God and you'll win in the end, I see it as zen-like, i.e., living in the moment and not having expectations or particular cravings (other than his loving Jenny.) So he ends up just stumbling into all the major historical events of the time. Granted, he achieves this only because he doesn't have the brains to think otherwise and actually have expectations, but so many of our problems are because we do have higher intellect and desires, which ironically makes us unhappy because we know what we are missing. We love our cats and dogs for the same simplicity and always being in the moment. There's a line in the movie wondering if everything is predestined or happens randomly or it's a combination of both. It is something to mull over for a long time.
475 out of 575 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Hand Of An Unseen Providence
bkoganbing13 February 2010
When Tom Hanks won his first Oscar for Philadelphia in 1993 the film received a total of five nominations. His second Oscar for Forrest Gump came in a film that received more than double that in nominations and awards. If Forrest Gump did nothing else it solidified Hanks's credentials as a serious actor. He would never be doing imitations of his Bosom Buddies character in films again.

It also among other awards also won for Best Picture and Best director for Robert Zemeckis, richly deserved. The film is Huckleberry Finn like in its canny observations coming from the man who had an IQ we are told of 75. But as Forrest also tells us, "stupid is as stupid does". And Forrest with the hand of an unseen providence comes out a lot better than some of the clever people he meets in life.

Watching the film once again it occurred to me that Mark Twain if he couldn't have written this himself would have loved the way Zemeckis handled the character of Forrest Gump. The beauty of Huckleberry Finn and the secret of its success is that Twain got into the mind of a child who recorded all the events around him, a child without too much education. What Zemeckis did was get Hanks into a child like mind who sees things with amazing clarity stripped of any veneer of pretense. Which Hanks observes in the people around him and in the events that shape America and himself from Eisenhower to Reagan.

There are two prominent female parts in Forrest Gump. One is for Robin Wright who plays the abused child Julie as an adult. She is Forrest's love and best friend and she takes a different path of life one she chose with more deliberation than Hanks. Their fates though eventually entwined are radically different.

The second major female role is for another two time Oscar winner Sally Field who now is playing matronly parts, a far cry from Gidget and the Flying Nun. She gives Forrest the maxims he lives by and in a crisis they turn out to be more than sound bite clichés.

Another award that Forrest Gump won is for Special Effects and an award it didn't win was for Gary Sinise in the role of Lieutenant Dan Taylor, Forrest's commanding officer in Vietnam. That's something that does not compute because the special effects were to show Gary Sinise as a double amputee with both legs lost in Vietnam.

It's some amazing bit of work no doubt about it, but to honor it without Sinise whose performance really brings it off is ridiculous. Sinise is the educated one who curses the fate that happened to him, but in the end by just going with the flow he does prosper in the end. Sinise lost that year in Best Supporting Actor category to Martin Landau for Ed Wood, but I think Sinise's performance has had a more lasting impact.

To those Americans who serve our country it certainly has. Gary Sinise has devoted a great deal of his life and earned treasure to bring entertainment to our overseas troops in Iraq, Afghanistan, wherever, becoming a successor to Bob Hope in that regard. He's gone further than that though, setting up foundations to help civilians in both countries and contributing to numerous charities dealing with war and its aftermath. Doing that in my humble opinion Gary Sinise has become one of the great Americans of our brand new millenia, a lot more than just an actor. He's forever now known as Lieutenant Dan.

In the end though the film belongs to Tom Hanks who joined with Spencer Tracy as the only two male actors to win back to back Oscars for Best Actor. Hanks fascinates us and guides us through this film and when we're done we've seen something very special.

If you don't believe me about how good Forrest Gump is, then watch it for a few minutes and see if you're not sucked in. Like Forrest's mama says, the film's like life which is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get until you open it."
36 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The role of innocence in positive thinking and thus success ...
AlsExGal22 December 2012
... seems to be the theme of this film. Forrest Gump has an IQ of 70, is being raised by a single mom, lives in a remote part of the Deep South where there are few opportunities, and has legs that require that he wear braces as a child. Sounds like the recipe for a sad tale or at least a slow death from mediocrity right? No, instead, because Forrest isn't really bright enough to realize the situation he is in, he simply does what he's told to do or what occurs to him to be the right thing at the time and succeeds due to a lack of self doubt. He's told to run and he becomes the star of the Crimson Tide and an All American. When recovering from a war wound, he's taught ping-pong and winds up competing at the global level in China itself. He promises his dying friend Bubba that he'll go ahead with their plans and become a shrimp boat captain and his brand of seafood products becomes a household name.All along the way he never learns the lessons in life that tend to make the rest of us cynical.

Gump's childhood sweetheart Jenny starts out with high aspirations - she wants to be like Joan Baez and fight for world peace - and instead she winds up disillusioned, drug addicted, and a near suicide before age 30. She doesn't have Forrest's childlike innocence and this leads her to self-doubt and ultimately failure. Also, fate or "destiny" as the film calls it, is not on her side in one big way - her own father molested her as a child, which couldn't help but play a role in the decisions she made.

Now Gump does have a bunch of coincidences on his side - call it destiny if you will - the storm that beaches every shrimping vessel in the Gulf of Mexico but his, for example - but in most cases this is just the story of a man going through life without self doubt and that little voice that tells the rest of us "You can't do that! What are the odds! You'll fail! Make the safe choice!" To me, this is what this film is about. I think everyone sees something different in it. I highly recommend it as it is truly one of a kind. I remember when it came out it absolutely made professional reviewers crazy that people liked this film, probably because they didn't understand it.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life's Lessons in one Movie...
lacey_joeskip725 May 2005
When I first saw this movie I didn't appreciate it like I do now. I think it may have been because I was so young when I first saw it. Just recently I saw the movie again. What an amazing story and moving meaning. That movie teaches you so much about life and the meaning of it. That life isn't as bad as most people make it seem. That an innocent man can impact so many lives with his innocence. The meaning of the movie to me is that everyone needs to have a better outlook on life. That we need to appreciate more of the little things and not let the big things hold us back. That truly although life may throw us trials and tribulations like a box of chocolates but that we have to just bite into it and get through it even if we don't like it. That we all need to hold true to our values and not sink into a place that feels like there's no hope... I just love this movie. And anyone who hasn't seen it or who thinks that don't like it I seriously suggest seeing it or seeing it again. It truly is amazing...
1,049 out of 1,172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mama said ...
kosmasp12 February 2021
Take this with a grain of salt and don't be mad about certain things. Like one of the first flashbacks to the very beginning that does not come over preachy when it talks about the Klan (Ku Klux Klan that is, just in case you think I'm talking about any other Klan). Maybe sometime in the near future there will be a disclaimer and someone giving this context. But until then, you have to be educated enough yourself to understand and comprehend certain things. And you have to have a certain sense of humor to dig all the coincidences that Gump comes across at. It's alike a marathon through many landmarks of the short US history we have behind us. Like the Watergate scandal, Vietnam War, Black Panthers and so much more.

If you can dig all that and go with the flow, than the chocolate box this opens up for you, will taste quite delicious. It had been quite a while since I saw this the first time, but it still worked its charme to say the least. Great movie, great actors - you have to be in the right mind set and mood though. And be able to forgive certain things ...
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a box of chocolate
Kirpianuscus22 December 2015
more than adaptation , it is a visual parable. about vulnerability and its magnificent potential. about innocence and its importance to discover the real essence of life. about love, family, fight and courage. a film like a revolution. because it propose the best manner to be yourself and to not be a victim walking on that way. more than story of Forrest Gump, it is the story of people around him. a film like a Rubick cube - many faces, each for complete right color. and a image who remains its mark - the box of chocolate, the run, the ping - pong match. it seems be the best role of Tom Hanks. in fact, it is definition of a new period after the Cold War. a pledge. about the small things.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Encapsulating...
Xstal25 December 2020
... all that is, all that was and all that will ever be, through the life experiences of the titular character performed to perfection by Tom Hanks whose generous performance leaves us humbled and in awe of what we can achieve, how we can achieve it and why we would want that achievement in the first instance. A piece of cinematic storytelling that will perpetually resonate no matter who or what you are, where you are going or who you are going with - timeless.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tom Hanks' best performance
fernandez_198922 December 2006
This awesome movie is about an innocent man who represents how the world should be: he's loyal, humble, honest, he would never cheat or lie. He does everything with good heart and reaches success at the most important tasks of life.

Only in America he could live such an interesting life: meet Elvis Presley, President Kennedy, John Lennon... He goes to Vietnam's war and he does everything following his heart. He becomes an American hero.

Gary Sinise is a great American actor in his best performance too. He served in Vietnam with Forrest and was also a hero, protecting his men and fighting for his country.

All in all this is a must-see movie for everyone, specially for non-Americans, so we can enjoy American culture and icons, as well as learn some American history, which is very useful.
195 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After 20 years, I still love Forrest Gump!
tavm9 September 2014
When I originally watched this with my mom 20 years ago, we both were pretty touched by the events of Forrest Gump's life and the way he handled things. So now, watching this in IMAX with my movie theatre-working friend, it's the same feelings all over again but now having some additional life experiences, one notices things one hadn't thought of before. Like how the first person who sits with Forrest on the park bench is so uninterested in his story she takes the wrong bus and admits it to him while the last one who sits with him doesn't take her scheduled one because she's so immersed in hearing about his life! Or how Jenny realizes how much she truly loves him despite the way she sometimes treated him. Robert Zemeckis truly made a very compelling picture. And Tom Hanks delivered a wonderful performance worthy of a second Oscar win. Nice humorous stuff involving Hanks mixed in real news footage of the various presidents. And great music soundtrack to mark the times they lived in. Oh, and I loved the supporting cast of Mykelti Williamson, Sally Field, Gary Sinise, and Robin Wright as Jenny. With all that said, I'll now just say that Forrest Gump is worth all the praise and adulation it has gotten over the years.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impressive film
nicholls905-280-54691118 January 2020
It's a feel good film, that's not a bad thing. In this modern era of sequels and reboots, films like Forrest Gump offer an escape. I still believe Pulp Fiction was the better film for the best picture Oscar, but this is still an incredible film. Touching and heartwarming storyline leads our central character through some important moments in history. One of a kind film, that was not followed by a sequel. Tom Hanks is the foundation here, but is surrounded by a great support cast.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tom hanks at his natural consuming...
catpantry27 January 2020
Tom hanks appears noble here. A true force of nature that is long standing, seemingly inept, yet really, hes taking it all in, and waiting to pounce. For EXample: when jenny leaves him the first time to walk the streets, hankS just stands there internalizing what is happening to him. He stares, blanked faced for a moment, as though he can see a thousand miles in front of him, attaining a capacity that a dog would have who is stranded in the winter. The dog having a double choice. Number 1: kneel before god as god bends pieces of metal with a mad face. Or 2: just be nothing in the world, just tell jenny she is unnecessary.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Heartwarming Rendition Of Love, Loss, Redemption & Stupidity.
CinemaClown11 May 2016
Winner of 6 Academy Awards including Best Picture in the year that had heavyweights such as Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction, Frank Darabont's The Shawshank Redemption & Disney's The Lion King, Forrest Gump isn't as impressive as the above-mentioned classics but its optimistic take on the unpredictability of life, stability between its genre elements, and a charismatic performance from Tom Hanks turns it into a cinema that's as heartwarming as it is amusing.

Based on the novel of the same name, Forrest Gump tells the story of its titular character, a simple-minded, kind-hearted & good-natured guy from Alabama whose life turns out to be a wicked blend of luck & destiny as he steers through as well as influences some of the historic moments of the second half of 20th century America. However, despite accomplishing great things in life, what he covets most is the love of the woman he grew up with, who never reciprocates his feelings.

Directed by Robert Zemeckis, Forrest Gump is a series of brief episodes stitched into one wonderfully layered tapestry and is expertly narrated from start to finish. There are a few hiccups in between but it is a smooth adventurous ride for the most part. Eric Roth's screenplay takes liberty with the source material but what's admirable about it is its relentless focus on the central character. It does allow its supporting characters to breathe but none of them have an arc that's compelling enough.

Production design team does a stellar job in recreating the time-specific surroundings. Visual effects is extensively applied throughout the story plus its tinkering with the archival footages of some of United States' most significant events of the later half of the 20th century was a VFX feat of its time. There aren't any glaring issues with its camera-work. Editing fails to give it a tightly- knitted structure, while the background score & incorporated songs are in sync with the unfolding events & depicted timeline.

Coming to the performances, Forrest Gump features a dependable cast in Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise, Mykelti Williamson & Sally Field, and although everyone does well in their given roles, the film is powered by Hanks' outstanding performance. Fresh off his Oscar-winning role in Philadelphia, Hanks chips in with another smashing work and is the soul of this tale. And he's well supported by Sinise & Field who play Forrest's platoon leader & mother respectively while Wright ably portrays the self-destructive life of his love interest, Jenny.

On an overall scale, Forrest Gump often gets a lot of flak for stripping both Pulp Fiction & The Shawshank Redemption off their deserving accolades but it does have a heart & identity of its own. I wasn't very impressed by it during my first viewing but it has managed to grow on me over the years and now I do admire its positive outlook on life & the numerous mysteries it has in store. A delightful comedy, an emotionally resonant drama & nicely covering the themes of love, loss, redemption & stupidity, Forrest Gump is one of the best films of its year. Definitely recommended.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it, but I did not love it
acedj1 November 2019
I get why so many people gush over this movie, I really do. I have watched it quite a few times myself. It is good to kill a few hours and be entertained. It ain't great though. The overwhelming emotion I feel for Forrest is pity, as he is strung along and used by the object of his affections. This is a decent movie, perhaps one of the best from Mr. Hanks, but I do not feel it deserves as much hype as it gets.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ultimate Fad Movie
evanston_dad16 March 2009
"Forrest Gump" is the ultimate fad movie. It came out big in 1994 and created a cultural sensation. It was easy to get swept up in its panorama of American cultural history, and all of the iconic imagery in the film made it seem like it was saying something important. But all these years later, this treacly piece of rubbish is nearly intolerable.

The film is full of easy sentiment and false emotion. It depicts one thing after another (the Kennedy assassination, Vietnam, Watergate, the AIDS crisis) that trigger automatic emotional responses in the audience, so that the filmmakers don't have to do any work of their own to make the material effective. But underneath the lesson in American history and the admittedly terrific soundtrack, I can't help but wonder what point the movie tries to make. Are we to applaud Forrest for his pluck and resiliency when the only reason for them is the fact that he's too simple minded to understand the things that happen to him? Are we supposed to emulate him? Is the message that we all make life too complicated, and that we all need to buckle down to the only things that really matter, like love of country, God and our dear ol' mama? If so, gag.

Tom Hanks is a winning presence in the film, and if anyone was going to be able to carry this story along, I imagine he did just as good a job as anyone else would have. But the only character worth watching as far as I'm concerned is poor little Jenny, played valiantly by Robin Wright Penn, who comes closer than anyone to playing an actual human being, despite the film's tendency to chew her character up and spit her out.

This movie is like a box of chocolates...too much of it and you'll be sick.

Grade: C-
35 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American History Through The Eyes Of A Simpleton
gavin69424 November 2014
Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks), while not intelligent, has accidentally been present at many historic moments, but his true love, Jenny Curran (Robin Wright), eludes him.

This film is fun, funny and touching, if not a little bit sad. If a school wanted to (and no doubt some have), it would be an interesting way to teach the second half of the 20th century. Elvis, Wallace, the Kennedys and more.

This is probably the film that "made" Tom Hanks. Although he was already big in the 1980s with "Big" (no pun intended), this was probably the turning point where he went from comedy to serious actor (well, somewhat serious). And it probably remains his most-watched movie of all time (well, besides maybe "Sleepless in Seattle").
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tale worthy of Frank Capra
SnoopyStyle15 November 2013
Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) is a simple man with a sweet heart. It's his journey through American history. His childhood friend Jenny (Robin Wright) would travel the underbelly flipside of the same world. His journey is heavily influenced by his mama (Sally Field), Lieutenant Dan (Gary Sinise), and Bubba Blue (Mykelti Williamson).

Director Robert Zemeckis has added another chapter to the American mythos. It is a magical tale where the good guys win out. That you can rise to the top no matter what handicap you have. That a good heart will enlighten all it touches. It is a tale worthy of Frank Capra.

If I could have a wish, it is a deeper meaning to Gump's journey. For example, he's given a chance to comment on the Vietnam war but the sound goes out of his mike. I would have like to hear what he had to say. But that might have been asking too much. More than anything, Gump is not controversial.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.