- 5 wins & 10 nominations.
- See more »
Willam the Idiot Manchild / Angry Hockey-Playing Customer / Angry Mourner
Woolen Cap Smoker / Egg Man / Offended Customer / Cat-Admiring Bitter Customer (as Walt Flanagan)
Sanford / Angry Mourner
Hunting Cap Smoking Boy / Low I.Q. Video Customer / Hubcap Searching Customer / Angry Mourner / Angry Crowd at Door
Administer of Fine / Orderly
Indecisive Video Customer
Caged Animal Masturbator
Dental School Video Customer
Tabloid Reading Customer
|John Henry Westhead||...||
Olaf the Russian Metalhead
Stuck in Chips Can
Jay's Lady Friend / Angry Crowd at Door
'Happy Scrappy' Mom (as Connie O'Conner)
Hockey Goalie / Engagement Savvy Customer
'Happy Scrappy' Kid
Bed-Wetting Dad / Cold Coffee Lover
Video Confusion / Candy Confusion Customer / Angry Crowd at Door
Blue Collar Man
Door Tugging Customer
Leaning Against Wall / Angry Crowd at Door
Burner Looking for Weed
Customer with Diapers
Customer with Vaseline and Rubber Gloves
Little Smoking Girl
Angry Crowd at Door
Angry Crowd at Door
Angry Smoking Crowd
Angry Smoking Crowd
Angry Smoking Crowd
Angry Smoking Crowd
|Kevin Smith||...||(written by)|
|David Klein||...||(photographed by)|
|Bobbie Thomas||...||dailies colorist|
|Leslie Hope||...||makeup artist|
|Charlie McClellan||...||post-production supervisor|
|Scott Mosier||...||sound editor / sound mixer|
|Joia Speciale||...||sync fix|
|Brian Vancho||...||foley artist|
|James von Buelow||...||master sound mixer (as James Von Buelow) / sound editor (as James Von Buelow)|
|Ed Hapstak||...||gaffer / lighting assistant / photographer: production stills|
|David Klein||...||camera operator|
|Vincent Pereira||...||camera assistant: occasional / grip: occasional|
|Rajiv Thapar||...||grip: occasional|
|Samantha Inoue Harte||...||animator|
|Benjie Gordon||...||music supervisor (as Benji Gordon)|
|Tara Daust||...||continuity: occasional|
|Ed Hapstak||...||trouble shooter|
|Vincent Pereira||...||cat wrangler|
|John Pierson||...||czar of representation|
|John Sloss||...||legal eagle|
|Walter Flanagan||...||special thanks: for a copy of 'Dark Knight Returns' (as Walt)|
|Geoffrey Gilmore||...||thanks (as Geoff Gilmore)|
|Ed Hapstak||...||special thanks: for being a little Magpie (as Ed)|
|Hal Hartley||...||special thanks: for leading the way|
|Robert Hawk||...||special thanks: for having nothing better to do on 10/3/93 (as Bob Hawk)|
|Tim Hill||...||thanks: the Borough of Highlands|
|Jim Jarmusch||...||special thanks: for leading the way|
|Bryan Johnson||...||special thanks: for taking nothing seriously (as Bry)|
|Laurence Kardish||...||thanks (as Larry Kardish)|
|Butch King||...||thanks (as Butch)|
|David Klein||...||special thanks: for all the pretty pictures (as Dave)|
|Spike Lee||...||special thanks: for leading the way|
|Richard Linklater||...||special thanks: for leading the way|
|Kimberly Loughran||...||special thanks: for Seven Years (as Kim)|
|Jason Mewes||...||special thanks: for being Jason|
|John Mosier||...||thanks (as John)|
|Kristin Mosier||...||special thanks: for patience, perseverance, and love (as Kristin)|
|Scott Mosier||...||special thanks: for accepting an invitation to lunch (as Scott)|
|Vincent Pereira||...||special thanks: for the inspiration (as Vincent)|
|John Pierson||...||special thanks: for having second thoughts (as John 'My Hero' Pierson)|
|Virginia Smith||...||special thanks: for saying "Be a Filmmaker."|
|Mark Tusk||...||special thanks: for not giving up (as Mark 'Doctor Love' Tusk)|
|Harvey Weinstein||...||special thanks: for an unforgettable order of potato skins|
- Miramax (1994) (United States) (theatrical)
- American Broadcasting Company (ABC) (1996) (United States) (tv)
- Lionsgate Home Entertainment (2011) (United States) (Blu-ray) (DVD)
- Alliance (1994) (Canada) (theatrical)
- Bac Films (1994) (France) (theatrical)
- Cinema Mondo (1996) (Finland) (theatrical)
- RCV Film Distribution (Belgium) (theatrical)
- RCV Film Distribution (Luxembourg) (theatrical)
- RCV Film Distribution (1995) (Netherlands) (theatrical)
- Uplink (2000) (Japan) (theatrical) (subtitled)
- 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
- Alliance Atlantis Home Video (2004) (Canada) (DVD)
- Alliance Atlantis Home Video (2006) (Canada) (DVD)
- Alliance Home Video (1995) (Canada) (VHS)
- Arthaus (2011) (Germany) (DVD)
- Arthaus (2013) (Germany) (Blu-ray) (DVD)
- Filmfreak Distributie (1998) (Netherlands) (VHS)
- Gativideo (1995) (Argentina) (VHS)
- Nelonen (2005) (Finland) (tv)
- New Vision Films (Australia)
- Nordisk Film (2012) (Finland) (DVD)
- PlayArte Home Vídeo (Brazil) (VHS)
- RCV Home Entertainment (2004) (Netherlands) (DVD)
- SubTV (2003) (Finland) (tv)
- TV5 (2011) (Finland) (tv)
- Uplink (2001) (Japan) (DVD)
- Warner Home Video (2012) (Japan) (Blu-ray)
- Warner Home Video (2012) (Japan) (DVD)
- Yleisradio (YLE) (2001) (Finland) (tv)
- Choice Video (thanks)
- Columbia Records (soundtrack album available on)
- DC Comics (thanks)
- Film/Video Arts (thanks)
- First Avenue Playhouse (thanks)
- Henry Hudson Regional High School (thanks)
- Jan Film Labs (thanks)
- Leonardo First Aid (thanks)
- Magno Sound (thanks)
- Maysle's (thanks)
- New School for Social Research (thanks)
- Posten's Funeral Home (thanks)
- Pro Camera (cameras by)
- Quick Stop Convenience (catering)
- Quick Stop Convenience (thanks)
- R.S.T. Video (thanks)
- REI Media Group (titles by)
- Sound Hound (sound mixed at)
- Sound One (thanks)
- Spera Corporation (post-production equipment)
- Studio Solutions Group (Film Rights Acquisition)
- The Borough of Highlands (thanks)
- The Doonesbury Company (thanks)
- The Residents of Leonardo (thanks)
Dante Hicks is not having a good day. He works as a clerk in a small convenience store and is told to come into work on his day off. Dante thinks life is a series of down endings and this day is proving to no different. He reads in the newspaper that his ex-girlfriend Caitlin is getting married. His present girlfriend reveals to have somewhat more experience with sex that he ever imagined. His principal concerns are the hockey game he has that afternoon and the wake for a friend who died. His buddy Randal Graves works as a clerk in the video store next and he hates his job just about as much as Dante hates his. Written by garykmcd
|Taglines||[Christmas theme] Jingle bells, the bathroom smells, the coffee's cold and stale. We're overworked and underpaid but it keeps us out of jail. See more »|
|Parents Guide||View content advisory »|
|Also Known As||
|Opening Weekend United States||$31,665, 12 Aug 2012|
|Trivia||Kevin Smith, a keen comic book fan, sold a large part of his collection to help fund this film. He has since been able to buy most of them back. See more »|
|Goofs||Jay's costume is different in nearly every scene in the movie because the jacket he wore on the first day of shooting was his girlfriend's and he had a hard time borrowing it for the entire length of the shooting. See more »|
|Movie Connections||Featured in Radioland Murders/I Like It Like That/Bullets Over Broadway/Imaginary Crimes/Clerks (1994). See more »|
|Soundtracks||Clerks See more »|
|Crazy Credits||Jay (Jason Mewes) is heard at the end of the credits, chanting "Noinch, noinch, noinch, shmokin' weed, shmokin' weed, doin' coke, drinkin' beers...". See more »|
Indecisive Video Customer:
They say so much, but they never tell you if it's any good. Are either one of these any good? Sir?
Randal Graves: What?
Indecisive Video Customer: Are either one of these any good?
Randal Graves: I don't watch movies.
Indecisive Video Customer: Well, have you heard anything about either one of them?
Randal Graves: I find it's best to stay out of other people's affairs.
Indecisive Video Customer: You mean you haven't heard anybody say anything about either one of these?
Randal Graves: Nope.
Indecisive Video Customer: [turns around, then shows Randal the same movies] Well, what about these two?
Randal Graves: Oh, they suck.
Indecisive Video Customer: These are the same two movies! You weren't paying any attention!
Randal Graves: No, I wasn't.
Indecisive Video Customer: I don't think your manager would appreciate it if...
Randal Graves: I don't appreciate your ruse, ma'am.
Indecisive Video Customer: I beg your pardon?
Randal Graves: Your ruse. Your cunning attempt to trick me.
Indecisive Video Customer: I was only pointing out that you weren't paying any attention to what I was saying.
Randal Graves: And I hope it feels good.
Indecisive Video Customer: You hope *what* feels good?
Randal Graves: I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
Indecisive Video Customer: Well, this is the last time I rent here.
Randal Graves: You'll be missed.
Indecisive Video Customer: Screw you!
Randal Graves: [runs to the door] Hey! You're not allowed to rent here anymore!
Jay: [outside; has no idea what's going on] Yeah!
See more »