Chungking Express (1994) Poster

Express Chungking Express
CardMastah13 April 2001
Every day we interact with people. Within the course of 24 hours we can influence someone's life (for better or worse) so deeply that they will never forget us. Is it possible that the next person you fall in love with could be a notorious heroin smuggler or the counter girl at the express luncheonette counter? Wong Kar-Wai, the writer/director of Chungking Express seems to think so. The film is broken into two tales. The first story is mainly about the sadder side of love. Love comes and brings us light and joy, but it also goes and leaves us feeling empty and needing fulfillment. The two main characters in this half of the film, a police officer played dolefully by Takeshi Kaneshiro, and a heroin smuggler played icily by Bridgitte Lin, interact for only ten percent of the story, but their meeting leaves them both with memories that will last life time. The story ends on a high note that shows us that a simple act of kindness can bring the most unreceptive people to appreciate the beauty hidden in life. The second (and far stronger) story centers around two people and their interaction at a fast food counter in the Kwaloon section of Hong Kong. Tony Leung plays the part of a rejected lover perfectly and gives of the air of being sad without ever really being pathetic. Faye Wang's quirky portrayal of the free-spirited counter girl who helps Leung forget about his ex-girlfriend, is exactly what the film needed to counter-balance its darker first half. These characters and their bizarre relationship illustrates that love can manifest itself in any number of ways, many of them unconventional. The mechanism that allows these seemingly disjointed stories together is the camera work. Wong Kar-Wai uses a decidedly unique filming technique for much of the first half of the film; a blurry hand-held technique (think Blaire Witch on drugs) used during the chase scenes. The recurring style in the second half is a time-lapse type shot with people around the main subjects moving very fast and the subjects themselves moving in slow motion (a really cool effect). The camera styles add a common surreal element to each of the stories, while still keeping them somewhat independent. Perhaps the most striking element of the film is the interconnectedness of the characters and situations. There are many establishing shots showing characters inhabiting the same places at different times, and even the same places at the same times without noticing each other. This style of filming can alter the viewer's perception of reality, daring us to believe that we are all extras in somebody else's movie.
133 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little gem...
parker-longbaugh28 December 2003
I love this film. There, that is as simple as I can make it out. I am not going to go into any details about the plot (some people have accused it of not having one)or what takes place in the film, just want to say that this is the real deal. A film about love that is mired in reality (though shot through the lens of alcehmist - truly a visual experience to be savoured)though not gritty reality, just every day boring life and love, the sort of love we go through each day ourselves, the kinda incomplete love where two people touch each other briefly and spend more time dreaming of what could be rather than it actually taking place. A film that is romantic in all the right places, in all the right ways (believe me it will make you smile not reach for the sick bucket - Hollywood take note)and has a deft light comic touch that leaves you smiling in recognition at the heartbreak rather than crying over it. The acting and script are both first rate - tony leung can do no wrong in my book - and overall it leaves you hungry for more little gems like this. (Either that or wishing you were in love...)
89 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wong Kar-Wei's Best
Yum26 April 2002
Flawless tale of brief encounters and abstract moments. Far superior than most of Hong Kong's bullet ridden action fests, Chungking Express takes you on an emotional journey of love, loss, and chance excursions. Cinematography and editing is groundbreaking as this drama unfolds soap-opera-like stories without all the overacting and melodrama. Wong Kar-Wei has sealed his place in cinematic history with this tour de force.
68 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Achingly beautiful film-making
cirving3919 March 2004
Masterful Hong Kong film-maker Wong Kar Wai understands that love is about the unspoken moments between people, the hidden gestures betraying loneliness. Chungking Express is a unique expression of such notions of love. The film doesn't pretend that love is all-embracing and constant, in the way so many predictable films would suggest. Love, for the protagonists of this film, comes and goes between subtle glances - always elusive. Indeed if a level of contentment can be reached at all for these characters - it is a fleeting moment, a memory of a song, the way that somebody smells. There are so many essential moments in this film - when Dinah Washington's 'What a difference a day makes' plays over two lovers cavorting, the moments when characters talk to inanimate objects to overcome their loss of love, the brief glances between the second policeman and the waitress across the counter of the fast-food restaurant. It has been dismissed as an exercise in style over substance by many, mainly due to the hypnotic way in which the film is shot and the lack of a real story as such. I don't feel the need to defend it from these accusations because the beauty of the film is there on the screen and nothing I have said or could say could really do it justice. It breaks my heart every time.
47 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A midst pining, sometimes a second chance is right in front of our eyes.
gabriel-john-strange30 March 2013
WARNING: SMALL SPOILERS MAY BE GIVEN BELOW

Today being a lazy Sunday, I finally got around to watching Chungking Express. This film is something which has always been on my lengthy cinema bucket list.I am joyous that I took the the time viewing into this film as it was both uplifting and meditative amongst the chaos.

The film's plot revolves around two separate narratives regarding two policemen working within Chungking,both of whom have gone through recent break ups. Their stories are told sequentially and are both running in chagrin until they encounter a new woman.

For the first story, we become acquainted with He Qiwu, a man who pines over his most recent relationship with a girl called May. Whilst the May of which his relationship recently ended with has no screen time, there is plenty of monologue spoken from He Qiwu and interaction with other characters regarding her that as an audience we can feel his pain. (I mean, who hasn't been there before?) He Qiwu goes on the rebound and seeks out a girl after much self pity. It is at bar that he encounters a certain femme fatale.

The femme fatale is not issued a name in this story segment however it just adds to the sense of mystery she aesthetically displays by the "costume" of which she wears: A Blonde Wig and Glasses. It becomes quickly evident within the first fifteen minutes of the film that she is a dangerous presence as we see her organizes an illegal drug smuggling operation.

When He Qiwu and the woman with the blonde wig cross paths, it is not because he is after her. It is because he found himself out at a bar on the prowl and as we as viewers are sure of, the ineluctability of them meeting together is certain. They are not united together as lovers, however there is a slither of hope given to He Qiwu after their encounter and in his current position, a morale booster.

In the second story, the unnamed Cop 663 is going through the motions post break up with an air stewardess. We see that the stewardess had decided to visit a snack counter which he frequents and gave a letter to the owner regarding her wishes to break up and keys to the apartment.

This is all caught by the exuberant Faye, a worker at the counter. As Cop 663 does not wish to look at the envelope being fully aware of what the letter will detail, Faye falls him for and uses the keys to start rearranging the house while he is at his day-shift unaware. From there, the story builds around the meetings between of both Faye and Cop 663.

Throughout both stories there are reoccurring motifs that we take in such as expiry dates, the name of May, a model airplane, California Dreamin' by The Mamas & Papas, a Garfield stuffed toy and more which have been omitted from this review. The symbolism behind these help build the strength of both stories and also slightly relate them.

The setting of Chungking is a multicultural place and in being so it is interesting to hear dialog hear dialog in Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese and Indian throughout the film.

It is hard for the setting to not draw you in. However, despite the streets being as flooded with populace as they are, we are left with the contrast of the characters usually being in isolated locations. Taciturn and with a running self monologue.

The soundtrack should be a key player in any film watched and in The Chungking Express it is not something which is not to be ignored. Most notably the soundtrack is dominated by California Dreamin' during the second half of the movie. The highlight song for me personally is a delightful Cantonese cover version of the song "Dreams" originally performed by the Cranberries sung by no other than Faye Wong, main actress of the second segment.

In regards to the cinematography, it is hard to believe that shots being taken are not being done so under natural lighting. In a scene where the Indians are assembling clothes and toys, we get various cutaway shots and amazing editing. (In particular one shot of shoes filled with cocaine/heroin being put away is shot upside down which for unknown reasons I really love) The editing is quick and fast paced, rarely lingering.

Through the use of shaky held hand camera during chase scenes and the busy streets we feel disorientated and just as lost as the characters on screen.

I believe this film is an equally a comfort to those in love as to those who are out of love. Don't give up.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than meets the eye in unusual tale of two HK cops
pooch-814 January 1999
Wong Kar Wai triumphs stylistically in Chungking Express, a beautiful movie that places two fingers right on the throbbing pulse of what it means to be lovesick. Some viewers will not appreciate the director's decision to fracture the narrative into two distinct stories, but multiple viewings should cure any doubts. Hypnotic editing and camerawork capture a mood and tone that is equal parts Blade Runner and Breathless, and the principal performers are all delightful to watch. Memorable use of music additionally adds to the film's strength, along with a number of unique vignettes and quirks of character (think expired canned pineapple, a toy airplane and new additions to a fish tank, for example) that take unsuspecting audiences by surprise.
51 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just beautiful.
prophecy_girl11 January 2005
Awesome. Amazing film; the second half of which far outweighs the first. Beautiful. Wong Kar Wai's film fills you with the kind of warmth that only Amelie can bestow. Fast-paced but with incredible cinematography and soundtrack. Well worth checking out; if only to say you've seen one of Quentin Tarrantino's favourite films. It's this type of film that puts others to shame. This is how a film should be; exhilarating, exciting and beautiful to-boot. The stories are told with such depth that you can't help but pick out new things every time you view it. A film like this is one that never gets boring; no matter how many times you've seen it. (I'm on my 8th)
79 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love in Modern Hong Kong
danstephan300023 September 2004
Director Wong Kar-Wai quickly established himself among art house cinema circles worldwide as a new voice in Asian film with this unconventional set of tales about modern love in Hong Kong.

Before then, he and other Hong Kong directors had stuck mostly with 'kung fu' flicks, using the formulas popularized by Bruce Lee with young audiences worldwide. 'Chungking Express' took a new direction, sweeping the 1995 Hong Kong Film Academy awards and gaining attention at other festivals in Europe and the USA.

The first of the two tales portrays a policeman and his thwarted infatuation with a mysterious femme fatale. It mostly rambles inconclusively but introduces us to exuberant, flashing Hong Kong as the setting for the second and much more satisfying love story.

Another police officer orders the same meal every day in his lunch break at a little coffee shop, 'Chungking Express.' His quiet, somber manner attracts the attention of the pretty, energetic, but lonely waitress. Then an airline hostess comes to the café and gives her an envelope for him. She peeks inside to see a farewell note and returned keys to his apartment.

The waitress proceeds on an outrageously funny quest to become part of his life. She reseals the envelope and returns only the note to him. After learning his address, she goes to his apartment when she knows he's at work and proceeds to use the keys to come in and make herself at home….cleaning and re-arranging….when he's not around. He's so depressed from his breakup that he takes little notice of the changes in his place.

Then, one day, he unexpectedly comes back home and opens the door. They are equally startled to face each other.

'What are you doing here?', she demands.

'What do you mean……I live here!!'

'Now you shout and scare me so much I can't move my leg,' she complains. 'Help me to the couch….oh, oh, it hurts!!…….'

This zany exchange introduces us to a delightful love story. Faye Wong as the waitress ('Faye') has a special charm, bringing Audrey Hepburn to mind. Faye is feisty, mischievous, moody......and completely irresistible. The policeman ('Badge 223') is her perfect counterpart, steadfast and honorable but badly needing someone like her for energy and affection.

After many twists and some setbacks, they find each other. At the end, we have high hopes for their happiness, even in the crowded, lonely city of Hong Kong with all its insecurities and uncertainties.
39 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super Goodfeel
InzyWimzy18 December 2003
Stunned. Chungking Express should be seen at least once for the experience. Caution: may cause smiling and frequent laughter.

What a contrast to Fallen Angels which was the first Wong Kar Wai film I've seen. Talk about polar opposites. The characters here are your everyday working people living ordinary lives. I love the idea of the people we walk and pass by everyday. Who knows what a random meeting will lead to? The chemistry between the actors is key. Takeshi Kaneshiro (I never thought of jogging that way) and Tony Leung are both great as two fellows going through a down of sorts. No one wants to be alone. Or have you ever thought to yourself and asked, "What do I want in life? Where do I want to go?" If anyone can relate to that, Wong Kar Wai captures that in his film.

Also, I love the contrast between the leading ladies; Brigitte is mysterious as the enigmatic blone and she still shines through. On the other hand, Faye's charismatic, bouncy personality is so infectious and definitely made her my favorite. It all comes out through her facial expressions, her dancing, her bright eyed look and super smile is awesome! My mindset is fixed with that song by the Mama and the Papas and Faye. That and her Cranberries' tribute. When she and Tony are onscreen together, it's magic. My favorite thing about Tony is for all the different roles he's played, he always comes off as himself. I'm sure the ladies love his scenes in the apartment!

I wouldn't consider this a great Hong Kong movie. This is a great film PERIOD. Chungking Express has replay value and there's so much more to love and appreciate upon later viewings. Definitely see it for Faye!
45 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i don't want anyone watch this because chong qing sen lin is nly mine and always will be
efeolut12 October 2005
Giving an 11 would be more fair to this masterpiece. Trying to get satisfied with 10 points breaks my heart as much as the stories in the film did which are based on two men suffering from love, like the other millions on the planet. The main difference between this one and other romance films is Chong qing sen ling doesn't picture eternal love, people holding hands in hands, kissing or crying and moaning in pain when it's is over. It's more about lead characters just trying to get over the pain and discovering that undying love was never that strong indeed. Talking about getting over the pain, since it's a Kar Wai Wong nobody will dare thinking a typical work.

At the first time i watched Chong qing sen ling, what hit me was director's original style in telling his stories, how he could make me feel exactly the same mood with the characters and still no tears in the whole movie. (Besides who needs tears while you can get rid of them by making some sports?) In fact if you are terribly under the influence of this film and you are dumbed by your lover too, don't be surprised when you find yourself drinking five or ten glasses of water in a row or something equally stupid as that. Because stupidity is what we are expected to do when messed with love anyway. Before, through or after the relation, it really doesn't matter, does it?

After you watch Chong qing sen ling you won't be the person you used to be. At least California Dreaming will have a special place in your heart, i guarantee that!
34 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New Asian cinema meets the French new wave.
ThreeSadTigers29 December 2007
Chungking Express is a film about time and coincidence... a continuation of the themes and images developed in the director's first masterpiece, Days Of Being Wild, and a precursor to the ideas and cinematic ideologies that will carry through to his greatest films, In The Mood For Love, and 2046. Unlike those two projects, which seem completely internal in the way in which they blur the emotional points-of-view of their characters - by slipping between the various narrative layers - the basic set-up here is simple... two Hong Kong cops, consumed by melancholic romanticism, wander through a labyrinthine city like Ghosts, haunted by their individual, though ultimately quite similar memories of lost love. Their paths cross on two separate occasions, but never intervene. Instead, the two stories are presented separately, one after the other, with each story presenting various echoes of a theme that ripples throughout.

The style of the film is very much indebted to the style of the French New Wave of the early 1960's, with Wong and cinematographer Christopher Doyle making great use of the available lighting and mobile, hand-held cameras, to capture the action in a very fast, very kinetic kind of style. Thus, those only familiar with Wong's more recent films (which benefit from larger budgets and longer periods of production) might be surprised at how ramshackle and idiosyncratic this earlier work is... with Wong pretty much devising the whole film during a break in post-production on his epic historical piece, Ashes of Time, and apparently writing most of the scenes in the afternoons, then hitting the streets to film them that same night. As a result, the film moves at a breakneck pace and never once pauses to analyse it's inaccuracies or indeed, inconsistencies, which, at the end of the day, isn't really a problem... instead, like Godard, it's all part of the film's charm.

The first story of the two is probably the most exciting... tipping it's hat to Godard's À bout de soufflé and Cassavetes's Gloria, with it's story of a lovesick cop trying to come to terms with a recent break-up, whilst simultaneously falling in love with a heartless hit-woman. Like most of the film, but more so than the second story, this segment never stops to take a breath, instead, we are continually propelled into the dingy underworld of the Chungking Mansions, with Wong and Doyle's camera (all hand-held intimacy and stroboscopic distortion) bobbing and weaving through crowds of people; snaking it's way around a labyrinth of market places, airport terminals and back street bars; and offering up a never-ending kaleidoscope of colours, speeds, movements, actions, and bursts of garish violence. The story hinges around a chance meeting - the use of the clock is an important visual reference point and the central character's obsession with tinned pineapples with an expiration date of May 1st - though it's easy to miss this within the melange of action, violence, and moody noir.

The second segment still has a fairly fast pace, but seems more relaxed and intimate in comparison to the first, with that great theme of Wong's - unrequited love - being established in the bizarre (though utterly charming) relationship between a recently heart-broken cop and the counter girl and the local Midnight Express take-away. This segment is much more playful than the first, with a nice integration of character, and a lighter tone, which is perhaps why most people consider it the most memorable segment of the two. For me, there are enough similarities and stark coincidences linking the two segments to make them work, with Wong as a director showing us his ability to switch from something as claustrophobic and action-packed as segment one, to the relaxed, charming, almost-comedic tone of the second. There's still the Godardian influence, only here it's more Une Femme Est Une Femme than À bout de soufflé, whilst the use of music (trading the cool European synthesisers and multi-cultural mish-mash of sounds, in favour of the bouncing pop of the Mammas and the Pappas and a Cantonese cover of the Cranberries song, Dreams) helps to make the whole thing that little bit more enjoyable.

Overall, Chungking Express is a likable, frantic and somewhat off-the-wall (though I hate to use that expression) combination of noir-references, new-wave romance, and an experiment into the way that cinematic narrative can be developed... all captured with beautiful, stylistic flair by Kar-Wai and Chris Doyle. The performances from the four main leads are all exceptional, with Takeshi Kaneshiro and Tony Leung-Chiu Wai essaying the two love-struck cops, while Cantonese pop-star Faye Wong and the beautiful, bewigged, Brigitte Lin, portray the respective objects of their affections. Like the film it's self, the characters all have a charm and individuality about them, hinting at a deeper character with depth and back-story, even if we don't necessarily get to see the whole picture. Again, this is another trademark of Wong's... as the film really amounts to an accumulation of scenes, characters and moments that can be picked-over by the viewer and discussed until some greater sense of meaning becomes clear.

The ending of the film refuses to pander to the conventions of traditional Hollywood film-making and is all the better for it, with Wong instead further illustrating his theme of coincidence and dislocation - with the allusion to California, replayed by a character sitting in a bar called California - really highlighting the central notion of two entities existing at the same time, without any kind of awareness. Certainly, with its brisk-pace, seesawing plot and likable characters, this could be called the most accessible Wong Kar-Wai film - perhaps the best place to start for those new to his work - but of course, beneath all the new-wave references and self-consciously chic scenarios, this is still a pretty deep film about the nature of time, regret, memory, love, loneliness and, of course, the need to belong.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stylish, a rare movie bursting with originality and flair
thediggens19 July 2014
Wong Kar-Wai's most acclaimed and certainly widespread film, helped by showings to film classes everywhere, Chungking Express is a meandering meditation of loneliness in urban Hong Kong. Told in two separate stories of love, life and loneliness (a third branching off into a separate film, Fallen Angel), they follow two cops dealing with a break-up and a new love interest.

The first, shorter and weaker segment follows a pineapple-obsessed cop falling for a blonde-wigged heroin smuggler. The second watches a depressed cop's ignorance as a girl with a crush revitalises his life.

The first segment is certainly a visual marvel, and Wong Kar-Wai (alongside cinematographers Christopher Doyle & Andrew Lau, the latter of Infernal Affairs fame) blazes through with a frenzy of action in a confined space. The blur, the colours and the contrast are impressive. It's also a poetic segment, but ultimately falls short, emotionally hollow without developed characters to anchor it. One could suppose that your reaction to this segment will depend on your appreciation of the themes and feelings of the main character.

One must spend more time considering the second, which more than makes up for the first ones failings. It adds a wry wit to the -better- romantic undertones, two incredibly charismatic leads (Tony Leung and Faye Wong), and one of the best repeated uses of a single song ever. California Dreamin' will forever for me be associated with this film. More importantly, the second part has a heart, a cute, quirky romance that bubbles, and the incredulity ebbs at its sweetness.

The soundtrack as a whole is full of excellent choices, though 'full' may over-exaggerate, as it's better seen as a few choice selections being repeated. Nevertheless, through the cinematography and the soundtrack, the film develops a dreamlike atmosphere, which is probably its greatest asset. The film keeps itself firmly uprooted in the clouds, and it certainly drifts.

Chungking Express is a unique film, and certainly not one for all occasions. It isn't designed to blow one away. One drifts through it, then thinks about it after its over. As a technical craft, it's a masterpiece. As a poetic piece of storytelling, its a bit more hit and miss, but it hits more than it misses.
Nailed It
gavin69427 February 2014
Two stories, two lovelorn cops, two objects of desire: one a big-time heroin dealer in deep trouble with her boss after the cargo disappears, the other a seriously flaky take-out waitress who inadvertently gets hold of the keys to her admirer's apartment, all shot in a breathless kaleidoscope of color and hand-held camera work to create a mesmerizing portrait of Hong Kong in the 1990s.

With the constant use of "California Dreamin" and "Dreams", do you think this is a film about dreams? In some ways, it is, and in other ways it is not.

You have to give this film credit. Besides looking great and just being an overall wonderful movie, there are little things that really stand out in the writing. The "May 1" can idea, with the connection between birthdays and expiration... so clever.
On the way to seeing this movie 10,000 times
markwood27220 July 2012
One obvious sign of liking a movie is watching it again and again. Some thoughts after a tenth time with "Chungking Express":

1. The movie and my viewing of it make up a set of harmonious coincidences. First: According to what I have read, it was conceived and completed quickly when the director hit a two-month hiatus in the midst of another project. Second: The movie treats the way chance encounters sometimes turn into things of great consequence. Third: I saw the movie on a hot summer afternoon in 1996, also very much by chance when, while walking home from work, I suddenly wanted to spend a couple of hours in an air conditioned theater. "Chungking Express" just happened to be the first movie I found. I knew nothing about it before watching it. Fourth: And after seeing it and liking it very much, I pretty much forgot about it until seeing the Criterion DVD in 2011 – fifteen (15) years later. This belated second viewing was the one that cast a spell. And it has become stronger with every repeat viewing. Maybe this ever growing affection for the movie parallels the developing relationship between the characters.

2. Another comment on repeat viewings: I had never heard of any of the cast or crew of this movie before I saw it. I think I experienced the first viewing without having to filter my impressions through the lens of the celebrity and stardom of the performers. Instead the people in the movie – at least the non-criminal ones – are people I have come to like very much, almost as friends. A strange effect, hard to describe. It may account for the many viewings, which are almost like visiting people I simply enjoy being with. I'd be interested to find out if I'm the only one who has had this reaction.

3. A date movie, yes, but a paradoxical one. Even though when I first saw this movie I was dating two women and recall taking one of them to another certifiable "date movie" during this period, I have never seen "Chungking Express" with anyone but myself. Maybe this is a good movie for people about to go on a date to see separately before going out, making this sort of a "pre-date" movie. The cross currents of rejection and breaking up, with a cast of endearing solipsists searching for companionship and falling in love, albeit one-sidedly and with aching tentativeness, make this the only "date movie" I know of that can work its magic (for me, anyway) when enjoyed alone.

4. Eighteen years after its initial release the movie does not look terribly dated. Although at the time of release the impending reversion of Hong Kong to mainland control was three years away, the characters do not explicitly mention the subject. The prospective change of government, something "there" obliquely for my first viewing in 1996, seems to have disappeared as a significant aspect of the movie. The only obvious set of time markers is the use of pay telephones, answering services, and pagers. This retro ingredient is more than balanced by a prophetic use of abrupt, swooping, convulsive camera movements and step printing: although rooted in the world of MTV, the look of the film anticipates cell phone and You Tube video.

5. The film offers a look at some of the things going on in the world of motion pictures in the early to mid-90's: international interest in Hong Kong cinema and Asian cinema generally; the influence of MTV-inspired film technique; a spike in the perennial popularity of romantic comedies; audience acceptance of combined stories with fragmented, braided narrative lines ("Chungking Express" was released at about the same time as "Pulp Fiction".)

6. In my nearly six decades of watching movies I can't remember any of them achieving in 90 minutes or more the truth and emotional power that "Chungking Express" manages to pack into its final 15 seconds.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's probably Wong Kar-Wai's masterpiece.
nostromo-55 January 1999
By now, it's already a cult film. From the characters to the soundtrack, it all fits together into one wonderfull movie.
The Right Word Would Be Mesmerizing
p_radulescu20 April 2010
1994: work on Ashes of Time was extremely demanding, kind of never-ending doing and re-doing of scenes, on the verge of breakdown. A two-months hiatus appeared (they had to wait for some new equipment) and Wong Kar-Wai suddenly decided to make quickly a totally different movie, 'just to follow his instincts' (as he would say later in an interview). No screenplay, dialogs and situations were decided each day on the spot. The result was one of the most important movies of our time: Chungking Express, so innovative in the use of camera and soundtrack that it leaves you speechless. Cinematographer Chris Doyle simply revolutionized here the art of filming. The name of Jean-Luc Godard is always reminded when people talk about Chungking Express; I would say that this movie is as innovative as only Man with a Camera was.

Is it possible for a cop to get in love? Of course it is, and when the cop is young it is even nice. Well, the movie comprises two unrelated stories, with young cops in love. Undercovered cop 223 was left by his girlfriend, and he falls for a mysterious woman with a blonde wig. It happens that she is a drug smuggler. Does it matter? As for the second half of the film, uniformed cop 633 was left by his girlfriend and now a girl working at Midnight Express falls for him. As I am a nice guy, I wouldn't deconspire more of the plot.

The title comes from the name of two places in Hong Kong: Midnight Express is a fast-food in Lan Kwai Fong (kind of Hong Kong version of SoHo); Chungking Mansions (where most of the first half of the movie takes place) is a mall-cum-flophouse, noisy, dingy, down-market place incredibly located right in the midst of Tsim Sha Tsui, a very chic Hong Kong area. I hadn't (yet?) the opportunity to be there. but I was once at Chelsea Market in Manhattan and I thought immediately at the movie of Wong Kar-Wai.

Don't look for a logic in this movie, because any logic would be fake; Wong doesn't try to arrange the moments in some succession, because each moment exists on its own, carries its own truth and doesn't care about the rest. Instead of a synthesis the movie offers non-related glimpses; instead of an ultimate truth it offers contradictory slices of truth. It's not life as we think it should be: it's life as it is.

It's soaked in neon lights. It's fun, it's noisy, it's fast. And, above all, it's filled with incredible, hypnotic poetry.

The right word for this movie would be mesmerizing. Enjoy!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did I just watch 2 movies?
AD1amond13 April 2001
Chongqing senlin, released in 1994 and directed by Kar-wai Wong, takes place in Hong Kong and is the classic love struggle/heroine smuggling film. To say this film is unique is an understatement. While Chongqing senlin drastically deviates from traditional Hollywood blockbusters, it is still able to provide as much excitement as Armageddon and as much confusion as Waterworld.

The plot connects two storylines, one of which revolves around a blond wigged woman, played by Brigitte Lin, who is hired to smuggle heroine out of Hong Kong. The other focuses on young Cop 223, named He Zhiwu played by Takeshi Kaneshiro, who has just broken up with his girlfriend of 5 years. Depressed and lonely, Cop 223 decides to buy a can of pineapple, his ex-girlfriend May's favorite fruit, every day until May 1.

Wong strings the two stories along using mixes of handheld camera and set shots, normal film, video, and pixilated images. The plot of the film is interesting and gripping, as well as hard to follow, but the true nature of the film comes through in the actual film itself. The direction and cinematography are both superb, and for viewers looking to appreciate a well made movie Chongqing senlin should satisfy, but for average Joe this film may rate somewhere near The Postman.

Chungking Express, released in 1994 and directed by Kar-wai Wong, takes place in Hong Kong and is the classic girl meets guy, girl likes guy, girl breaks into guy's apartment with stolen key and plays with his possessions film. What the film lacks in plot clarity it makes up for in technical excellence.

The plot connects two storylines, one of which revolves around Cop 663, played by Tony Leung Chiu Wai, who breaks up with his airlines stewardess girlfriend. The other story follows a young service industry worker named Faye, played by Hong Kong's pop queen Faye, who falls in love with Cop 663 and does her best to become part of his life without ever needing to talk or be with him by using his apartment only when he's not there.

The two plots entwine and work off of each other but they are slow and unimportant. The commentary on loneliness and depression, and the depiction of the difficulties of real everyday relationships are the true focus of the story, and Wong uses pace and perspective in order to advance these ideas. Chungking Express proceeds slowly and deliberately, creating a sense of repetitiveness that adds to the feeling of depression showed by Cop 663. The film also uses a lot of hand held camera, which allows the audience to lose themselves further in the frustrations of the relationships. While Chungking Express may be too slow paced and trivial for Hollywooded viewers, film buffs and aficionados would be interested by its unique film style.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite films...
aerovertice3 May 2010
Chungking express is one of my all time favorite films. It is a story of human despair and loneliness told with a good measure of comedy; as such, it can be seen as a spin-off of the black comedy, which usually deals with more morbid issues such as death. Although Chungking Express dwells on human despair, there is always a lingering feeling of hopefulness. When you see a down-trodden person, there are three ways to go about: you could either walk past the person with an air of apathy, you could kick him while he is down, or you could wrap your arms around him and hoist him up; this film is the kind of film that sympathizes with the characters and attempt to hoist them up. It shows the audience that sadness and desolation are natural parts of life, but what one must always strive to do is look forward with optimism.

The direction of the movie is excellent. The camera works in such a way that it feels as though you, an audience member, is right in on the action, standing beside the characters as an observer; as such, the movie has a deep, subjective feel to it. The movie is jarring at times, but that adds to that subjective experience. There are various points where the movie jumps ahead in timeline in very quick succession, giving the audience the feeling of the fleeting nature of time. The movie does not spoon-feed you, rather, it asks you to think and to feel. The acting feels very natural, almost improvisational, and it is required for a movie such as this. Wong Kar Wai, one of the auteurs of world cinema, has made many great movies since, but to this day, Chungking Express stands out as his best, and one of the best movies, in my opinion, of all time.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most over-rated film in HK movie history
sharptongue24 March 2000
I am completely baffled as to why this film is even liked, let alone held in such high regard, especially by so many critics who are, otherwise, quite sensible.

There is one key word which describes this film to its core - irritating.

The most easily explained example of this is the director's use - or, more accurately, abuse - of music. In the first half, a really dull reggae tune is played about three times (when once is too often). But in the second half, The Mommas And The Papas "California Dreamin'" is played at least seven times, usually at top volume. Godsakes, whether you liked the song or not beforehand, you'd be thoroughly sick of it by the end. Just think, some people claim to have seen this film four or five times. This means they've listened to California Dreamin either 28 or 35 times.....

All of this needless hyper-repetition (it contributes nothing to the story) could possibly be excused if the remainder of the film had any lingering merit, or if the story was in any way involving.

But it ain't.

The only aspect I found likeable was Bridgette Lin's charging around and still playing Asia The Invincible in a raincoat and sunnies. Even this wore off fairly quickly.

I'm sure this film's undeserved high reputation will convince many poor suckers to go and see it.

I can only warn you - if you've never seen a HK movie before, don't start with this one.

If you feel compelled to watch it, avoid at all costs seeing it in a cinema. The fast-forward and mute buttons are essential tools for survival here.

You have been warned !
48 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do you like pineapple?
BrokenNotesMusic22 September 2004
From the mind of auteur filmmaker Wong Kar-Wai, comes a film told in the urban alienating streets of Hong Kong. This unique film is split into two separate stories which cross connect with each other in more ways than one.

The first story tells of lonely cop 223 (Takeshi Kaneshiro), who is obsessed with expiration dates. Suffering from a broken heart, he's giving his ex-love, May, one last chance. When his canned food expires, so does his love for May. Although on the eve of his birthday he meets a woman (Brigitte Lin), who is suffering from her own broken heart, whom he is able to share his pain with.

The second story tells of cop 663 (Tony Leung Chiu-Wai), who is suffering from romantic problems with an air hostess (Valerie Chow). He eases his pain by going to a small time deli express, and meets one of the expresses lovely exployees named Faye (Faye Wong).

A great, imaginative, and powerful film that should not be missed by anybody who is serious about movies. Boasting an excellent soundtrack by Frankie Chan and Roel A. Garcia, with songs featured by Canto-Pop queen Faye Wong, along with several other old time hits, just gives me more reasons to recommend this to you. Two huge thumbs up.
18 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A huge disappointment
helverdi-19 July 2005
This is the third Wong Kar-Wai movie I watched and it was a real disappointment for me after "in the mood for love" and "2046". I've loved those two movies and I purchased Wai's boxed-set containing CK Express with eagerness.

Today I sat down to watch it with great excitement, ready to find another treasure of film-making. Now I feel like having watched a standard and uninteresting Hollywood-style romantic comedy. I must confess that I liked watching the movie to the end, but this is only related to the fact that I find Faye Wong quite beautiful! It unfortunately seemed to me that the whole movie was a waste of time if you exclude seeing FW for an hour which is of course not a cinematic experience.

The first two movies I mentioned above contained many dimensions of the human heart; they made the audience think on the characters, the stories and their own lives. However, the story in this movie is so shallow and the characters are all 2D and very dull. They never surprise you, do or say an interesting thing throughout the movie.

The two stories of the movie almost had nothing in common (except being the policemen as the male characters having some kind of love affair with stewardesses some time) and those stories contribute nothing to each other. I wonder why did the director bring them together.

The music was also so repetitive and useless after a point. Colour usage and some interesting shots were all that deserved nice comments in this movie.

Finally, I must congratulate Wong Kar-Wai for his career path from CK Express to ITMFL and 2046. A great success...
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This snoozer is a loser
chiend15 January 2006
For those deciding whether or not to watch this movie and are reading these comments for insight, I first offer these four words: Don't waste your time! "Chungking Express" was shoddily filmed, slapped together quickly and seems as though it were conceived in its entirety by someone standing in line at a Hong Kong Burger King. I can't remember ever watching a film with an assortment of such one-dimensional characters trying to work their way through a script this mundane! It's an absurd effort with philosophically ridiculous dialog (a man wanders into his flooded apartment and offers the stunning revelation that "tears can be dried with a tissue, but water takes time to mop up"). The same character is also seen carrying on a deep, meaningful rapport with his towels, soap, stuffed animals, dirty laundry, etc. The shaky, wandering, hand-held camera-work was another annoying feature I could have done without. And if that isn't enough to make you puke in your popcorn, we hear the old 60's ode "California Dreaming" by the Mamas and Papas blaring over the soundtrack over and over again during a particularly lengthy sequence.

Quentin Tarantino was responsible for bringing this loser to America through his Rolling Thunder Productions company, though I cannot for the life of me figure out why a man with his talent would bother. He was known to have remarked, "I'm happy to love a movie this much." A lot of us, though, hope he will concentrate on making his audiences happy with more worthwhile discoveries in the future.
18 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cinematic Calligraphy
B2420 September 2003
Average viewers looking for any sense of internal coherence in a film should probably give this one a pass. It generates the same feeling as staring at a curious array of individual images that seem to have some relationship one to another, but never coalesce into a totality.

While this isolative approach to creating a kind of cinematic montage may appeal to a few students or critics steeped in the inside language of contemporary filmmaking, it is flatly irritating and condescending to us commoners who just fell off the haywagon. An overt avoidance of accessibility may be the intentional hallmark of auteurs like Kar-wai Wong and Tarantino, but to me it comes across as Andy Warhol warmed over. The only redeeming characteristic I find is in the production values, and them there just ain't going to cut it all by themselfs.

This is one of those productions in which you watch and listen and wait anxiously and in vain for some clever development of an idea or thought to sustain all the remarkable and beautiful individual scenes. Sorry. The calligraphic credits unexpectedly begin to roll just as your interest begins to stir. I get the same big yawn and let-down reading what I guess are very knowledgeable and thorough comments about this film that never lead to anything truly comprehensible. Ideas and images without some external context are not my idea of fun.

Call me a philistine roaming the streets of Hong Kong looking for a bowl of chop suey.
25 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reality Check
FightinTexasAggies12 May 2010
Before watching this film, I was told by many of my peers of how great of a movie it was. After being told this repeatedly I was pumped to watch it. In the first five minutes, I was very mad at all of my friends who told me that I would enjoy it. The camera movements I think are what added in to it throwing me off and not thinking I would enjoy it. Also, the woman in the beginning looked like a man to me. I first thought she was a transgender. This combined with the sketchy and different camera movements/ angles made me very confused, but interested, in how the film's plot would play out.

The two love stories that the movie portrays I think are really great. Kar-wai did an amazing job with conveying the true meaning of the film to the audience. He wanted us to see how much we, as people, have the potential to greatly impact someone's life in just five minutes. The first love story that is told is of a sadder one. Kar-wai wants us to see that love is great and life-changing but it also has potential to fade away, leaving us feeling very lonely and empty inside. The second story displays a story of unconventional love between two people who met over a fast-food counter. Both of these stories are tied together by them sharing some of the same places they go to just at different moments in time.

After watching this film, it can greatly change the way one views their life and reality around them. Kar-wai sends a true, non sugar-coated view of everyday life that transcends how we view life.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love through the filter of the movies
dr_foreman21 August 2006
(beware: some spoilers follow)

"Chungking Express" is all about love, apparently, but I don't think it can rightfully be called a romantic movie. The characters are all so obsessive, neurotic and downright oddball that the film makes love seem more like a bizarre illness than something to be cherished.

The narrative is awkwardly split into two distinct stories, both involving mopey guys who are mooning over girlfriends they've lost. The two guys are pretty similar - they're both nice, passive, quirky, and cops - so I wonder why the film-makers felt the need to tell two separate stories in the first place. Why not flesh out one or the other more thoroughly? Or do a proper anthology with lots of "shorts" about love?

Despite their weirdness, the characters are endearing, but their behavior often veers away from realism and into the realm of what I call "movie-land." It seems implausible, for example, that a woman would fall in love with a complete stranger, and then decide to gradually clean and refurbish his apartment, when he's not home and without his knowledge, over the course of several weeks. That kind of behavior is sort of insane, isn't it? In real life, it'd get you arrested. It stretches credibility even further that it appears to take this guy forever to notice the changes to his surroundings, and when he finally does notice, he discusses the matter with a bar of soap. That's what I mean by "movie-land."

Compounding my irritation, the characters sometimes decide to wax poetic about their personal philosophies, in that mock-deep movie way, saying things like "people remind me of expired cans of pineapples" or some such rubbish. Is this really deep, or is it just like that old Saturday Night Live sketch, "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy"?

Thankfully, "Chungking Express" is somewhat elevated by interesting shots of Hong Kong and energetic (but occasionally tiresome) hand-held camera work. The narrative has a disjointed feeling that is both a plus (it forces you to watch events closely, which is good) and a minus (because sometimes it's too confusing). In the first story, for example, I quickly lost track of exactly what on earth the woman in the blonde wig was up to, and who she happened to be shooting at each particular moment.

It sounds like I really hated this movie, but I didn't. I just think it fits into that category of art-house movies that really aren't so great. I applaud it for being experimental and daring, but I don't think it really sheds a lot of light on the human condition. It's too slick and self-consciously over-the-top to achieve that particular goal.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.