My Brother and Me (TV Series 1994–1995) Poster

(1994–1995)

Classic, I want it on DVD
RoosterCogburn21 January 2004
My brother and me is one the finest works of art i have ever seen. I was suprised when it didnt bring home and emmy's. Im hoping for a release of a season one, commemorative, collectors edition DVD set. I can't believe this masterpiece was cancelled after one season.

Some people look down upon My brother and me. But not I. The actors portrayals of Alfie and DeeDee as well as Goo and the Dad with his crazy gumbo ideas played with my emotions. Their passionate performances ran through my heart like an errent locomotive.

I think we all remember the episode where Kendall Gill came to the comic book shop and alfie said "DeeDee, go get Kendall Gills autograph!" or the even more moving, "Goo Punch, Everybody, Goo Punch, Come one now, Goo Punch!"

BRILLIANT
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great show!
AllisonLVenezio23 July 2003
Although this program was very short-lived, it will always hold a fond place in my heart. I'm not really one for African-American sitcoms, but this show was hysterical!

"My Brother and Me"'s main focuses are 12-year old Alfie and 8-year old Dee Dee Parker (Arthur Reggie III and Ralph Woodfolk IV) are brothers living in suburban Charlotte, North Carolina with their mom and dad, Jennifer and Roger (Karen Fraction and Jim Coleman), and their 14-year old sister Melanie (Aisling Sistrunk). Alfie has a friend, Milton, whose famously known as "Goo" (my brother and I found this hysterical!!!), Dee Dee has friends in "token white character" Harry, and annoying Donnell, and Melanie's best friend is fellow cheerleader Dionne, Goo's archnemesis. Goo hits on Melanie, she rejects him, Goo and Alfie hang out at "Comics and Books," and at the end of each episode all problems are solved, much like your typical sitcom, Nickelodeon style. Good clean fun.

It is beyond me why anyone hates this show. My brother and I used to make it a routine to watch this show every Sunday night. It was on at 7:30 every Sunday night for two years (from the time we were in 6th grade until 8th grade), and we always watched it before "The Simpsons." It was great!! It was such a funny sitcom. The father was hysterical!! We always laughed at his jokes, no matter how pathetic they really were. Every time he said "Now that's what I'm talking about," we'd die laughing!!!! His stories were so bad, the family always tried to escape from hearing them. Great concept.

My favorite episode, and the one I remember the best, (for obvious reasons) was when Dee Dee wanted the "Cool Doctor Money" haircut, with the dollar signs everywhere. Since Roger won't take him to get it cut, Goo, the genius that he is, offers to cut it. Of course, it was god-awful!!!!! My brother and I found that funny, until Roger took him to the barber, and Dee Dee came back with a SHAVED head!! That did it--we were practically crying at that point!!!!

This was a great sitcom that should have lasted longer. I wish more people gave it a chance--it was so cute and funny!!!!! Sure, it's cheesy and Nickelodeon-esque (After all, it did air on the "first network for kids") but it was harmless, good clean fun. It still holds a place in my heart.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
i loved this show.
Angel Laws17 October 2005
I loved this show when I was growing up. It was funny, educational, and when you were done watching it you actually felt good. It showed black families in a very positive light. I remember being happy to have something to relate to when I was younger. Luckily, I was able to find all 13 episodes of My Brother and Me. It should have been around much longer...

My favorites were GOO (of course) and that little white kid with glasses. He cracked me up. And who could forget the episode when DeeDee got that jacked up haircut, memories.

My Brother and Me was one of the main reasons I even watched Nickelodeon. Nick, all together was better in the late 80s early 90s. I miss those days.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Show
kungfuml9 November 2002
This is one of Nickelodeons Best and Finest shows. Dee Dee and Alfie were Hilarous The Episode guide at TV Tome has all 13 episodes listed I rember every episode because they were all so good. Nickelodeon did not Know what they were doing when they cancled this wonderful show.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Show For Kids
tanquant14 January 2003
O.K. I admit it when I first saw My Brother and Me I thought that the acting was awful but when I started to watch it I saw a great show for kids.I am an African American and I never once thought of the show as stereotypical.I always thought that they lived in the suburbs of North Carolina,not in the hood.MY brother and me was a show about children's problems such as selling candy to make money,trying out for the basketball team,pulling pranks on your siblings,and dealing with bullies.When it did air on Nickelodeon I taped as many episodes as I could before they took it off for good and I am glad I did.This show kinda reminds me of Leave it to Beaver with an older sister.Dee Dee is Beaver,Alfie is Wally,Goo is Eddie Haskell you know devious around kids always sucking up around the parents.As far as the thinking out loud how long did that last on The Wonder Years?To sum it all up My Brother and Me was and still is a great show for kids to relate to.If Nick would have given it a chance they could have taken acting classes. They have had worst shows on the air such as 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd and Clarissa Explains it All!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Show For Kids
tanquant14 January 2003
O.K. I admit it when I first saw My Brother and Me I thought that the acting was awful but when I started to watch it I saw a great show for kids.I am an African American and I never once thought of the show as stereotypical.I always thought that they lived in the suburbs of North Carolina,not in the hood.MY brother and me was a show about children's problems such as selling candy to make money,trying out for the basketball team,pulling pranks on your siblings,and dealing with bullies.When it did air on Nickelodeon I taped as many episodes as I could before they took it off for good and I am glad I did.This show kinda reminds me of Leave it to Beaver with an older sister.Dee Dee is Beaver,Alfie is Wally,Goo is Eddie Haskell you know devious around kids always sucking up around the parents.As far as the thinking out loud how long did that last on The Wonder Years?To sum it all up My Brother and Me was and still is a great show for kids to relate to.If Nick would have given it a chance they could have taken acting classes. They have had worst shows on the air such as 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd and All That!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
THE BEST!!!
Sweetpea2415318 July 2002
I don't care what anyone says this show was awesome and I was so sad to see it canceled. Sure there were some bad episodes but you can't expect a show to be great all the time. This is defiantly one of my favorite shows!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Show that should have stayed on longer
Faith Hampton21 January 2005
My brother and me was a very good show. It always kept me laughing. I liked it...my mom liked it...it was really good. It seemed like they only had about 12 or so episodes . I think they should have been more successful. I knew a lot of people that were infatuated with that show because of its greatness. It was one of the best black kid shows out there, and it ended way too soon. All of the actors were really good and I wonder what may have happened to them all. If anybody knows a good answer for this question, why was it canceled so early? My favorite episode was the one where Goo sang "Goo Punnch". That was the basketball episode to my knowledge. This was a great show. You have to able to relate to a black family's point of view and comedy to get the full jest of it...but that is just my opinion!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
i remember this show
bigasslover47 February 2005
These were another one of those shows to where they were good back when the episodes originally aired, back when I was younger. But if they ever air the reruns now, I may watch them because I missed them, but I may not like them as much as I used to. Alfie, Didi and Goo were always funny when they were in a scene together. That sister of theirs I thought was fly, but she wasn't that funny, and she wasn't nice. My favorite episodes were "the pet snake", Didi's haircut", and the one where all the kids play tricks on each other, and at the same time the mother is trying to enter the family in a magazine. I miss this show along with all the other nick shows they had back then.
The good ol shows
DiscoingGD22 March 2004
I was only a little lad when this show was on and I thought it was great. Sarcasm, Comedy, a perfect mix. All the people were always sarcastic and yet it seemed like a normal family with the quarreling siblings, the crazy friends, and a story telling dad. I don't understand why some people despise this show but they should just be quiet. These days, shows don't have what this show, Rocko's modern life, aaaahhh real monsters, salute your shorts, and ren and stimpy have. something is just missing in the new shows. I still watch Nickelodian and I wish they'd show these shows more often. My peers don't watch Nick anymore but if they had these shows they would. No new show can beat these good ol shows.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Personaly liked it credics hated it.
Tyler Liermann15 March 2003
I remember watching it on Nick I loved it and so did others who wear my age at the time but unfornily Nick pulled the plug on it after 4 or 5 episodes and it Nick just ran reruns of it for almost a year and then just spit it out totally, Which completely disappointed me I mean yes the acting is cheesy very low acting talent you can tell by looking on the profile names and only 1 or 2 members of the cast did little to nothing after the show so it comes no suprise if Nick was casting people they meet off the street it seems like. It kept me enteraned for 30 min alough no miserable acting but still didn't let you get bored. I wish Nick would rerun the episodes one more time so I can have the chance to record them!
Favorite Episodes
mrham128 February 2007
I have 2 episodes that i remember. The 2 brother.. ( sorry i don't remember which is which)... where they both came home, ruffed up, after the older brother gave some "advice" to the younger brother to deal with a not so nice female school mate. Their dad's reaction was..."what happened to you?" "....girls!" Haha!

The other I remember is where the 2 kids were trying to clean up a mess they made.. but instead.. cause the washing machine to go crazy and filled up the entire room with suds!!! Dad was a bit freaked out, but not ticked. His concern was more or less what mom's reaction was going to be. They definitely don't make good shows like this anymore.

Btw, I thought the sister was fly too! ;-)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good show
Catherine_Grace_Zeh11 May 2006
I used to watch this show when I was growing up. I remember it pretty well. If you ask me, it was a good show. I only remember the theme song very well. In addition to that, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. My favorite episode is the one where Dee Dee (Ralph Woolfolk IV) gets a bad haircut. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just one of those cheesy shoes
MistaVista26 May 2005
When watching it when I was a kid, it was funny, but the prob was they didn't have a lot of episodes (for all we know, there were probably at least 15) for some reason. I wasn't sure what the last episode was, although back then I thought it was the one where Derek/Dee Dee got a bad hair do from Goo.

But now looking back at it, it's probably pathetic. But it had it's laughs here and there even from characters Goo and Dee Dee's friends, the episode where they go to the comic book store and that black lady from other projects kicked them out and picked held one of them over her shoulders.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The kind of decent show Nickelodeon really have.
Joseph Anthony Sobora10 July 2003
You wouldn't believe people on IMDB have gave negative reviews on Nickelodeon's short-lived African-American comedy My Brother and Me. But don't let them fool you, this wasn't suppose to be a show that was taking itself too seriously. No, this was suppose to be a average-family show that takes the humor in them.

This wasn't really a bad show but it wasn't great ether. The reason why this show was canceled after 13 episodes is because Nick didn't find an audience and the production budget cut it too short to make its run and they knew this idea for African Americans wasn't the best for Nickelodeon's target audience they have there. It almost did the same with Gullah Gullah Island, a show that was on there Nick Jr. lineup which came out the same year as this show did but when they decided to have a second season of that show, they decided to keep the show and have many audience they could have for viewers.

It was about an African-American family living in North Carolina with two brothers named Alfie and Dee Dee and their sister Melanie. With them is their Mother and Father named Jeniffer and Roger. They have friends together Alfie has Goo, Dee Dee has Harry and Donnell, and Melanie has Deonne. They hang out at the Comic Book store known as "BOOKS & COMICS" to go play video games, read some comic books, and hang out for a treat. The manager of the store of course is Ms. Pigney. Goo did have a cousin named Moo though in which it doesn't have enough screen time with him. During its run, they have some very funny episodes like the Pratical Joke episode or even the Bully episode as well but most of the time, it has slipped away.

Sure it may look chessy, but it was a decent Nickelodeon show that was good enough to be shown but it doesn't help that much.

From Burns & Burns Inc. In Association With Nickelodeon Rated TV-Y.

Joe's Rating: 2 stars.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A few laughs here and there.
trekkie17528 November 2000
My Brother and Me is one of those shows that gives you a fast laugh here and there, and it does. This show has no real plot, or characters, and it is sort of like a cheap family show. However it is pretty funny at times. The funniest time was when "Goo" hit his head on the desk, and it made such a loud noise. Another funny instance is when Alfie got hit by a door in the face. There are flaws I have noticed though. One is when they try to put melodramatic scenes in the show, they usually wind up being extremely stupid or tired and expressed values which are always expressed in every other family show out there like Full House for example. Another problem i had with the show was with the some of the characters. Deon for example is a poor character, same goes for Melanie. These characters try to be funny and they are minimal when it comes to their comedy. Dee-Dee and his friends are probably the funniest. Alfie and Goo are usually funny but sometimes they act stupid. The dad of the show is funny with his stories, but unfortunately due to the lack of plots every episode with the dad seemed the same because it would always revolve around him telling his stories. The mom was hardly funny at all. Ms Pigney was a forced character all she talked about was money, and she did it all the time, and she was rude which didn't do much for the show. Parts of this show are dampened by either bad acting jobs, or by predictable plots. In some episodes there are no plots period. Due to these problems the show only lasted a season in 1994, and dashed a few laughs on you here and there. The show is not on any more so i can't really tell you to watch it, but if you ever see it just stop to get a few laughs.
GREATEST show of all-time
Y2J200023 April 2000
My Brother And Me, which was on Nickelodeon in the earlier 90's is the GREATEST SHOW OF ALL-TIME!!!

The Characters are smart, episodes funny, and plot lines HILARIOUS!!!

Every time it is on I record it, and it makes me laugh my bum bum off!!!
The Cheers of the 90's
ElephantStew9 December 2001
Have you ever wanted to watch a piece of American crap. Well in these short words, "Don't hold your breath." That is, if your your thinking of watching "My Brother and Me." This show is the epitome of the sitcom. It is worthy of Rembrant. It is the Zeus of Mt. Sitcom. This show is the basis for all, not just African American, sitcoms to come.

The show teaches kids the importance of responsibility, respecting others, and wearing tights. It is composed of real life down to earth characters. If you're watching this show, you would most likely be thinking, this is me. Alfie is the older brother in all of us. Dee Dee is the dim, yet likable younger bro in us. And Goo, isn't there alittle Goo in all of us
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why Do People Hate This Show?
dee.reid13 November 2001
I'm sickened by all the bad reviews for this show. Yes, it's blaxploitation for kids. Yes the acting is tad bit bad in some places and the intelligence of the plotlines for each episode is questionable. Yes the kids are put into strange and unlikely situations. This show DOES not however, regardless of what some people have said, stereotype blacks nor make whites look like idiots. I myself am African-American and have African-American AND White friends who talk jive, play basketball, and hang out but not in the 'hood. There really is no reason to hate this show. It's simple wholesome fun.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Possibly the worst show on Nickelodeon
theworryrock12 August 2007
Second to Space Cases, My Brother and Me was possibly the worst show I've ever seen on Nickelodeon. Not only did it have no premise, but it contained a series of the worst actors I've ever seen. Each actor spoke as if they were reading their lines off a wall - broken speech that made them all sound incredibly dumb. It used to pain me, as a kid, to watch this show when it was on and usually I'd have to change the channel halfway through. Suffice to say, none of the actors from the show has gone anywhere, more or less. I can't even remember any of the plots because none of them had the possibility of holding my attention. And the funniest thing of all was throwing in the token white kid with blond hair and glasses. Overall, a poor effort on someone's part.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
does anyone know????
trongrier19 March 2006
does anyone know where i can get any tapes or DVD's of this show i use to love to watch it if you do please tell me. it was just something about this show that just attracted me to it especially the one when goo cut the little boys hair and his dad did not like it so he shaved the boys head bald. i will be checking to see if anyone answered what i wrote i hope someone knows because i really want to know if anyone knows where i can get one? p.s give me the price to so i can know how itch money i need to go and get it. if your reading this it would not save unless i had 10 lines so i had to keep saying stuff until it let me save.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pitiful. Just pitiful.
asherjdoak30 October 2003
I'm still amazed that the geniuses at Nickelodeon decided to go through with airing this piece of dung, even though they were all secretly thinking that it was a bad idea. I was unfortunate enough to actually take a look at it, mostly because there was nothing else on worth watching, and I thought it was one of the most insanely idiotic shows I've ever seen in my life. Not only can these people not act their ways out of a paper bag, but the writing, well, let's just say that my sister's dog could write better material. Whenever I think of this train wreck of a show, I can't help but wonder who was higher: the writers, the cast, the Nickelodeon executives or the very small percentage of viewers who actually liked it. And one more thing to the school principals of America: a tape of this show would be a GREAT punishment for the kids in detention, especially if you force them to watch it 35 times in a row.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Complete Waste of Airspace
sheltonjudge1 February 2003
I agree with the other commenter in saying that this show was an utter and total waste of airspace. I was 9 in 1994 when this show first debued and it was a total blow. I expected it to be better when I saw the previews but it was a grave dissapointment when the show aired, I am really glad that they cancelled it, because this was a really tired show.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst 30 minutes ever!
drayj6518 October 2002
This has got to be the worst show I have ever seen on Nickelodeon! The show was bad since the day it premiered. Every character in the show was stupid. and the plots were never original. Alfie and Deedee were nothing but two immature kids trying to act cool. Their sister Melanie defines stuck up, and her friend Dionne, the only thing she ever did was complain about stuff that would give her a nervous breakdown. and what about Alfie and Deedee's friends. I couldn't have seen a more annoying group of people in my life. like Donnell, always saying "Don't Hold Your Breath", I should've tried to slap him so he could talk straight, and Goo, he was so annoying i felt like I wanted to pull him out of the TV and smack that bald head of his so he can shut up. and the father, all he ever did was tell "me and your Uncle Lawrence stories" and cook gumbo. So if you think this show is worth seeing. I say don't even watch the first 5 minutes of it. No wonder Nickeleodeon cancelled it after its only season.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Boo!
ZachDVD30 September 2000
I believe this show only lasted one season, from 1994-1995, and

thank the Lord it did. Nick, however, has empty air space and

needs something to show, so if you're sitting home on a rainy

Saturday, you are more than likely to find this on the air.

Basically, Nick felt there was a need for a sitcom with

African-American characters. I have no problem with that, but

when you do something like that, the idea is that you don't make

it stereotypical. This show is based all on stereotypes and is

recycled, stupid trash. It basically involves an older and

younger Black brother, as they go through trials and tribulations. One usually wants or needs to do something, and

the other gets involved. The jokes will make you die with

laughter, since they're so bad and monkeys on typewriters could

write better. The acting is plain horrendous and annoying, and

the theme song is really catchy and will be in your head for

week. Do not watch this show at all costs, unless you are having

a party and have a few friends over. You can do a Mystery

Science Theater 3000 sorta thing. This is one of the best shows