The Pelican Brief (1993) Poster

Rewatching in 2021 and it's still a great film
sacdielbandhoesing20 March 2021
Love it. It's an enjoyable story and Julia & Denzel are a deligt to see.
30 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Suspense -- For the Intelligent Movie-Goer
KCS8225 July 2000
I enjoyed this film very much. It is well acted, and has plenty of star power, with great performances from Roberts and Washington. The story is compelling, and the cinematography lends itself to excellent suspense. However, many moviegoers (including myself) will find elements of the plot confusing and hard to follow. There are a great number of characters, and it is often difficult to tell who is who -- most of the "bad guys" dress alike and have similar hair, so distinguishing them becomes challenging. This may be a minor flaw in either casting or costume, making the characters somewhat undistinguishable. However, it also makes the plot quite intriguing, as the intelligent moviegoer becomes entangled at guessing just exactly who is associated with who, and so on. Still an excellent suspense movie -- if you like other Grisham movies (The Firm, the Rainmaker, etc.) you will like The Pelican Brief. But be warned: watch the film in an attentive state, and be prepared to think a lot. If you are a lazy, sit-back-and-relax type of viewer, this may not be the film for you.
110 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star appeal lifts a good political thriller
NewEnglandPat7 February 2006
Another John Grisham novel becomes an entertaining thriller that opens with the murder of two Supreme Court justices. A Tulane law clerk suspects that the killings are too much of a coincidence and suggests that a Louisiana oil magnate and the White House may be involved. Determined to find out the truth, the clerk's research puts her life in danger, which is clear enough when her law professor is killed. Julia Roberts spends most of the film on the run, dodging killers and murder plots. Denzel Washington is a reporter who get pieces of information from an unknown source and eventually Roberts and Washington team up to investigate the assassinations. The film has complicated twists as Roberts and Washington work together to stay out of harm's way as their investigation points its compass at the White House. The supporting cast is great as are all the tech credits and James Horner contributes a nice music score.
39 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hitchcock would have been pleased
hylinski23 March 2006
You gotta love Alan Pakula. His Pelican Brief is true to the source material but manages to complement it with artfulness learned from Hitchcock and the events portrayed in All The President's Men (also directed by Pakula).

The result is a thriller which never has to resort to the hackneyed or the obvious. Even the chase scene in a car park manages to be a little different.

He has casted brilliantly (perhaps Fletcher Coal should have been older?) but his masterstroke is commisioning James Horner to provide the score. At times sparse and at others boldly chromatic it jangles the nerves as Julia and Denzel duck and weave their way through a maze of unease.

A great way to spend two hours.
74 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Engrossing, exasperating, enjoyably silly...
moonspinner558 July 2006
John Grisham's bestseller becomes paranoia thriller directed capably by Alan J. Pakula. "Eager beaver" Louisiana law student Julia Roberts does some home research trying to connect the backgrounds of two Washington, D.C. Supreme Court Justices who were murdered; her theories regarding the two men--who wanted them dead and why--turns out to be scarily accurate. The brief manages to get into the hands of top Presidential aides, and soon a contract is put out on her life. Shady political business is mixed with detective yarn and a (semi) love story between Roberts and stalwart newspaper journalist Denzel Washington, who is excellent. Smoothly done commercial package, well-paced and entertaining, though exceptionally far-fetched (which parlays into the enjoyment factor). Roberts pouts too much, and her first meeting with Washington (talking in a weepy whisper) is awful, but there is chemistry between the two and they help gloss over the more nonsensical parts of the script (such as a chase through a parking garage--full of cars but no witnesses--and the ridiculous, fatuous way the writers explain Roberts' seemingly unending credit and cash flow--"I have the money my father left me"). The supporting cast is filled with recognizable character actors all playing two-faced sons-of-bitches, with the minor exception of John Lithgow doing a nicely benign turn as the editor at Washington's paper. *** from ****
48 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best of the Grisham movies
Shrykespeare11 August 2004
Forget the plot holes. Forget the implausibility of the story. This is Grisham, the modern-day master of legal and political conspiracy and intrigue.

This movie centers on one thing: the chemistry between the on-screen duo of Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington. And they do not disappoint. Both give absolutely stellar performances, Washington as the reporter who desperately wants his story to see the light of day but is not afraid to let his compassion show through, and Roberts as a terrified law student engulfed in a situation where she is way over her head, trying simultaneously to survive and avenge the death of her lover. There is not one scene, not one bit of dialogue, verbal or non-verbal, that doesn't make be believe everything they say, and that is a testament to the acting abilities of Roberts and Washington, two of Hollywood's best.

For pretty much the entire second half of the movie, Denzel and Julia's characters work together to find proof of the conspiracy that resulted in the assassination of two Supreme Court judges, while at the same time dodging unscrupulous lawyers, heavies and an international hitman.

In their final scene together, when Darby is taking the FBI director's private plane out of the country, the bond that has grown between her and Gray is extremely noticeable. They deplane, and Gray shows Darby the headline exposing the conspiracy. Darby smiles, shakes Gray's hand, and proceeds to walk to the car that will take her to her new location.... but no, a handshake is just not enough, not after what they'd been through... so she goes back and gives Gray a huge hug, which he returns. The mutual respect is there for all to see. No words are spoken throughout the entire scene, they are not necessary.

Having read many of Grisham's books and seen all of the movies adapted from those books, I wondered how "The Pelican Brief" would stack up against all the others in the long run. In my opinion, it is still the best of the bunch.

My score: a solid 10.
75 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unevenly paced yet engrossing thriller
krishshautriya14 March 2019
Based on John Grisham's book of the same name, this movie is about the murder of 2 Supreme Court justices, and how a law student gets embroiled in the conspiracy. I would like to start by saying that this is one of the better John Grisham adaptations. Julia Roberts, who does most of the heavy lifting, and Denzel Washington both give terrific performances. The movie also succededs in successfully revealing things to audience before it is revealed to the characters in the movie. The only problem with this movie was it's length, although looking back, I am not sure if anything could've been cut. Also, the film is not as successful in creating tension in the chase sequences. But nitpicking aside, this is a very competent thriller and one that I can recommend to any thriller fan, and any John Grisham fan. P.s. - The only John Grisham adaptation better than this in my opinion is the Firm.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Awful Lot to Absorb
Hitchcoc6 January 2017
The foundation for this movie is the assassination of a couple of disparate Supreme Court justices. Their murders are on the minds of everyone in the country. A noted terrorist is involved in all of this and a character named Darby, played by Julia Roberts, sets out to find the evidence to discover the killer. That's all well and good. But what happens now is a series of murders and cover-ups and disappearances that make one need a scorecard to follow. I love more sophisticated drama and this is certainly one, but soon the President is involved. There is some land in Louisiana that is at the center of a lot of this, but because a rare breed of pelican is in danger, it becomes difficult. Even when the film is over, we don't really have it clear in our minds how things are going to play out. Some issues are settled but what's next. Roberts and Denzel Washington are quite good.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary political thriller works due to good script, fine performances...
Doylenf10 January 2007
JULIA ROBERTS is a damsel in distress when she writes a brief, theorizing what and who was behind the murder of two Supreme Court justices. DENZEL WASHINGTON is the investigative reporter who sees some merit in her theory and reluctantly decides to offer his help in tracking down the bad guys.

It's based on a terrific John Grisham thriller and given a well crafted script, good performances and taut direction from Alan J. Pakula. I'm not a fan of either Roherts or Washington, so for me to praise this movie shows you how suspenseful and entertaining it is as a thriller.

The overrated Julia Roberts is a huge box-office star who never once appealed to me despite her enormous popularity and Denzel Washington is a competent actor who sometimes does extra fine work--but neither one would win a popularity poll with me.

So, with that personal bias showing, I still give THE PELICAN BRIEF a respectable rating because it does what it sets out to do--it keeps you hooked until the ending after a few unexpected plot twists totally in keeping with this kind of story where the heroine is in peril because she knows too much.

Well worth a view.
39 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everyone I have told about the brief is dead.
lastliberal14 August 2007
Take any John Grisham novel and have it brought to screen, written and directed by Alan J. Pakula (Sophie's Choice, All the President's Men. To Kill a Mockingbird), and add Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington as the leads, and you have a movie that is worthy of 141 minutes of your life.

I love political films. You know that if you have read my reviews. Political thrillers are especially great. This one is well worth watching for the story, the directing, and, most especially, for the lead actors. I do not think that Washington and Roberts have ever disappointed me - OK, there was that License to Kill in 1984.

I won't synopsize - you can get that anywhere - but, I will say that you will not be disappointed. It's not a popcorn movie, you have to put some effort into watching it, but the rewards are great. And the chemistry between Roberts and Washington is fantastic!
36 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pakula at his best....I love this movie
pik92317 January 2008
This is just a great 'whodunit' legal thriller. Gripping, intelligent, acting is superb, the story is well constructed and builds in this beautiful crescendo. It' a huge cast and everyone is perfectly suited for their role. It moves beautifully, it flows like a movie should flow. I can't find any real flaw worth sharing. Just isn't there. I think it sets up Denzel Washington to continue in his escalating career as a wonderful character actor, a huge movie star, a big talent. Tony Goldwyn, since GHOST has this tendency to play the 'bad guy' but what can I say, he's good in this film too. Robert Culp, I love his impossible character. Julia Roberts is wonderful as the young starry-eyed law student who stumbles upon things bigger than anything she ever imagined. I loved every moment of the film. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys good solid film making. It should be used in teaching film - how to construct a story, how to keep the story one step ahead of the audience, making it suspenseful and exciting without having to resort to unnecessary violence or sex to make a movie work. It almost breaks through 'formula' scripts as suggested by the pundits who often don't have their finger on the pulse of what audiences want. It's one of the few films that when ever on television draws me in again and again and again!
32 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bafflingly UNDERRATED - Pakula has made a timeless thriller worthy of 3 Days of a Condor or The Parralax View
teksuremusic6 March 2020
Aside from the actor portraying the Justice at the beginning of the movie, all of the performances are phenomenal, especially Sam Shepard who plays a very convincing alcoholic, and Robert Culp who puts an exclamation point on the end of a legendary career playing characters that all informed his performance as the corrupt president here. John Lithgow is a great backdrop for Denzel's character's journalism career and Stanley Tucci's evil : words-spoken ratio is off the charts. It is rare to get so good a villain with so few words.

Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington have great chemistry, and you really root for them to win. There are plenty of suspenseful scenes throughout helped by great performances from all the supporting cast.

It's a great political thriller that includes a lot of important social commentary. It's surprising how underrated this film is, and I think time will show it to be appreciated more.

9/10 - One of Pakula's best
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's all been seen before
Mr_PCM11 April 2009
The 1993 film with Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington still in the formation years of their careers – so this is certainly if nothing else a curiosity piece seeing how these megastar A-listers performed before they truly reached the top. John Grisham novels will generally make for a reasonably solid if unspectacular film, with just sufficient meat for serious actors to get their teeth into, and the Pelican Brief is no exception to this rule.

When two senior judges are murdered, twenty-four year old law student Darby Shaw (Roberts) looks into the case and her suspicions somehow make their way to the FBI – suspicions that prove potentially damaging to the US government. Now she and journalist Gray Grantham (Washington) must try to stay alive long enough to ensure what they have uncovered is told to the world.

Few do distress-turned-determination better than Julia Roberts, but after a slow start followed by a great deal of panicked running and hiding, interest wanes somewhat. Meanwhile Denzel Washington is given so little to do in the first hour to the point he is almost forgotten. Further, it takes so long for us to actually discover what was written in the eponymous brief and for the leads to meet and agree to take action, that the audience's desire to get to the bottom of the 'mystery' is definitely lessened. However, once the two do start working together in the latter half interest does pick up, but not enough to retrieve the film from its ponderous start. Roberts and Washington do the job required of them but seem to treat it as little more than a day at the office – there is very little of the energy we have come to expect from Roberts, or Washington in particular. The secondary roles are filled slightly better – John Lithgow in particular a standout newspaper editor, and watch out for a very young Cynthia Nixon (Miranda from Sex in the City) as Julia Roberts' student friend. However, Stanley Tucci as one of a number of shadowy government figures on the tail of the leads should have stuck to the shadows more. There is little of the slickness, the grit and pace characteristic of later John Grisham adaptations such as Runaway Jury.

Legal thrillers about corrupt government prepared to kill to save their own position have been done so often (and so often much better) that little feels fresh about this Grisham adaptation, to the extent that were it not for the presence of A-listers Roberts and Washington this film would have long been forgotten. As it is, the film does not have enough thrills to save it from the fate of the DVD bargain basement bin. If you wanted to see this, it would probably be cheaper to buy than rent this film – and it would make a nice coaster! OK for a throwaway (literally) Saturday night film, but not memorable in any way. It's all been seen and done before.
26 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lifeless legal political thriller only for die hard fans of Julia Roberts...
DeuceWild_7728 March 2018
Let me start to say that i never read the John Grisham's book this movie is based on, so i'm judging only the motion picture.

When "The Pelican Brief" came out in '93 it was a major box office hit everywhere, partly due to the casting of Julia Roberts as Darby Shaw (still riding on the "Pretty Woman" success which made her being cast in almost every greenlighted project around that time, from the average potboiler, "Sleeping with the Enemy" to the trite / corny, "Dying Young" and Spielberg's misstep, "Hook", all undeserved blockbusters...) and for being the second Grisham's work adapted to the big screen, after the vastly superior "The Firm" directed by Sidney Pollack and starring Tom Cruise, which opened earlier in that year with good reviews and millions earned at the box office.

The veteran Alan J. Pakula was a great director during the 70's, his political thrillers such as "The Parallax View" ('74) and "All the President's Men" ('76) or the crime / thriller "Klute" ('71) are among the best made in that decade, but in the 80's besides "Sophie's Choice" ('82) his career kind of tanked, only saved by the critical and box office success of "Presumed Innocent" ('90), starring Harrison Ford, that made Pakula a relevant name again and based on his skill directing those political thriller films, Warner Bros. offered him the chance to helm "The Pelican Brief", which he also produce and provided the screenplay.

The story itself, even if it was standard, became confusing since the start due to badly edited sequences and the lack of information that was given to the viewer about what is happening on screen and who are those people involved in that situations, with Pakula assuming that every moviegoer read the book. Scenes were randomly happening, characters appear and disappear without proper development or explanation and the way Darby uncovers the truth, surpassing the F.B.I., it's too far-fetched.

It didn't help that the pace is sluggish and the movie didn't involve, amaze or even dare, it's in fact dull and boring mostly of its length and feels like Pakula condensed half the book in some key scenes to get the storyline moving and the rest was just for showing the imposed by the Studio, Julia Roberts in every scene and camera angle possible and imaginary (and always with the same irritating expression).

A bored looking Denzel was cast in a role that asked for a rich white man, playing here second fiddle to a troubled protagonist (like he did in "Philadelphia" the very same year, but he was much better in that) and refused the interracial love affair with Roberts like the characters in the book, which was a good decision not because of the skin color, but for the lack of on-screen chemistry between the two.

The brilliant supporting cast are wasted here: the late great Sam Shepard was given almost nothing to do; John Heard & Stanley Tucci failed to leave an impression; Robert Culp played his part too goofy to be the President of United States and only Tony Goldwin (still in "Ghost" mode) showed some signs of being awake.

In short, "The Pelican Brief" is a lifeless film directed by an once big name director, far away from his glory days, that feels more like a Julia Roberts' vehicle than an exciting political thriller. It may be one of the worst Grisham's adaptations to the big screen, if you like the genre you rather watch "The Firm", "The Client" ('94) or even "A Time to Kill" ('96), because this one is a near waste of time...
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
conspiracy
kairingler4 September 2013
I don't think that you have to be a conspiracy nut like me to enjoy this movie, but it sure helps. Sure the conspiracy was a little far fetched and hard to believe but that is what makes it fun,, Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington star as our two main leads,, countless other actors and actresses make this a great movie,, there are so many I can't even think to list them all, but they were great nonetheless. Supreme Court judges are getting offed by someone ,, and our junior law clerk,, played by Miss Roberts has to figure out who done it,,because she is writing a paper on it for class, Mr. Washington plays a local reporter for the newspaper, and eventually she contacts him,, brings him up to speed and the two team up and try to solve the murders of the Supreme Court Judges,, along the way they are almost blown up,, shot at , and numerous attempts on their lives,, as the bad guys who are responsible will stop at nothing to keep this from going public,, excellent crime thriller that really shouldn't be missed.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Good & Bad Of The Pelican Brief
ccthemovieman-118 March 2006
Some of things I really appreciated from this political thriller was (1) no sappy romance taking away from the suspense and story; (2) very little profanity; (3) a number of interesting scenes that kept your attention for the full 141 minutes; (4) solid acting by the two leads, Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts; (5) nice visuals and nice sound.

What I didn't appreciate was the usual Hollywood screen versions of the John Grisham novels, which means a fair amount of Liberal agendas, some subtle, some not so subtle. The message anyone against saving wildlife like the penguins has to be either crooked or a violent thug is preposterous. Early on, we hear a TV broadcaster proclaiming that the killings of two Supreme Court justices might have been by some group that also bombed abortion clinics, ACLU offices, etc. Of course - villainous right wingers hurting good-guy left wingers - what else? Isn't that the way it's always portrayed in the movies??

Too bad that bias political propaganda is in here because most of this film is just a very good suspense film and well done at that. Washington and Roberts are both fun to watch and they are up against so many suspicious-looking characters that it's a paranoid viewer's delight. They keep you guessing who you can trust and who you can't, which is fun, and helps make the time on this movie fly past.
38 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grisham's Masterpiece
alanpriest-5391629 April 2020
When it comes to an exciting thriller, John Grisham is usually an early port of call. Well, in my view this is by far his best. This film, whilst having its necessary quieter moments, never let's the excitement relent and the result is a rip-roaring 2 hours plus of highest quality intrigue, assassination and spills. Roberts and Washington play their parts for all they're worth in a movie which feeds the senses like few others. Bond, Mission Impossible and so many others could learn a lot from this exciting tale.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glossy, ho-hum thriller
Libretio7 February 2005
THE PELICAN BRIEF

Aspect ratio: 2.39:1 (Panavision)

Sound format: Dolby Digital

During a bitterly contested election year, a young law student (Julia Roberts) writes an uncannily accurate thesis on the recent murders of two Supreme Court judges and joins forces with a skeptical journalist (Denzel Washington) when she's targeted for elimination by agencies attached to the White House...

It's difficult to believe this ho-hum thriller - based on John Grisham's novel - was directed by Alan J. Pakula, the man responsible for ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN (1976). The near documentary realism of that earlier film has been replaced by Hollywood gloss and contrivance, as two of Tinseltown's brightest stars follow a trail of clues to their inevitable conclusion. Pakula's own script thankfully refrains from indulging a romance between Roberts and Washington, but there isn't much chemistry between them either, as they rush headlong from one scene to the next, seeking answers to a complex mystery. Unfortunately, the build-up of details isn't nearly as exciting as the film presumes, and the punishing 141 minute running time simply adds unnecessary baggage to an already convoluted storyline. Pakula takes advantage of his lavish budget by staging most of the major set-pieces within large crowds of people, but there are few surprises in either the script or its execution, and the happy ending is never in doubt. On the plus side, however, the film is distinguished by a powerhouse supporting cast of reliable talent (Sam Shepard, John Heard, Robert Culp, John Lithgow, Hume Cronyn, James B. Sikking, Stanley Tucci, William Atherton, etc.). Production values are excellent.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fine Acting and Good Plot
stavrou-878537 March 2021
Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington have a great chemistry and they are both excellent actors so i won't make any comments on their acting. The Pelican Brief is a good political thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat, even the few action scenes are amazing. The only disadvantage is the usage of many names and short explainnation on some points. Personally I have to watch it again so i can get the facts straight. I strongly reccomend it!
A solid popcorn thriller
rivertam2619 March 2020
Back in 93 when this film rocked box offices, I was 13 and obsessed with it. I was such a weirdo lol. It was mostly Julia Roberts and she is still one of my favorite actresses. She stars as Darby Shaw a young law student having relations with her professor. She creates a document called the pelican brief as an explanation of why some Judges were murdered. Her lover passes it off to his friend in the bureau and it begins to circulate leaving dead bodies in its wait, Including her boyfriend. Suddenly she's on the run and finds solace when she reaches out to an investigative reporter played by a solid Denzel Washington. Together they must try and survive so that can get the truth out. Watching it now it's still quite entertaining but Roberts is a little over emotional and the actual brief is never fully explained. It's undoubtedly fun but their characters and the plot aren't developed enough to truly be effective. The end it's smart popcorn entertainment.

Budget: $45m Domestic Box Office: $101m Worldwide Box Office: $195m

3.5/5
A solid movie
jdonalds-512 February 2016
This is a solid movie. Most of the story holds together quite well, being plausible which is very important to me. There are just a few places in the story that I wish the director, Alan J. Pakula, had chosen to make a bit more believable. I won't expose those scenes because I wish to write a spoiler free review this time.

I look for movies that I can believe in, written well, acted well, and most important directed well. This passes all of those tests. You can't fail with the likes of Robert Culp, although he plays a bit of a wuss here, or Julia Roberts who was well cast.

Backing up the strong crew is a key character played by Denzel Washington, Tony Goldwyn, and several more big name actors. I can't imagine how they were able to attract so many stars.

Alan J. Pakula has a long list of good movie credits as director. He did a great job on this story, it had some twists and turns so would have been easy to screw up.
Roberts Ruins It
gilscotftz14 December 2003
I expected that Darby Shaw would be the same intelligent and forceful person described so well in Grisham's book. Instead there was this timorous, whiney, shakey, mumbling caricature of Darby. Others performed well, but Roberts ruined the movie for me.
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The only film I have seen where virtually nothing happened
Bilstein30 June 2001
I watched this film on a Saturday evening, at a prime time hour. It was reportedly an edgy sort of thriller, with Julia Roberts and Denzil Washington, who apparently gave excellent performances. I was looking forward to it with some suspense. And that suspense was just about the only suspense I got. I don't remember the length of the film, but it felt like well over 4 days, and it was not time well spent. This has to have been the only film I have seen where virtually nothing happened. Julia Roberts was unusually irritating throughout, Denzil Washington's character was hollow and watching it from beginning to end made me feel like I was watching a year-long golf tournament. I nearly fell asleep several times, and my overall reaction was that the film simply was a failure. Failure to convince, deliver or provide any entertainment or suspense whatsoever.

2/10 - and it can count itself lucky to have got that
22 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still A Top Solid Action Thriller
tabuno15 November 2019
Even twenty-six year later, The Pelican Brief retains its relevance in today's emotionally charged environment concerning a real President. Even so, the rather simple cinematography that avoids a lot of stunt action, special effects, but instead mostly relies on luck, plot intrigue, and somewhat normal machinations on the part of the actors, this action thriller has its sustained mystery, its high political intrigue, its tension and thrillers as well as its tender moments. The focus is on the substantive plot, the danger, and the mystery itself instead of the typical sexual hype in many such action thrillers. Enemy of the State (1998) released five years later seems to have kept the same level of simple sophistication with just the beginnings of the action and thrills and special effects that would takeover most subsequent action thrillers in the future.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A solid political/legal thriller
Tweekums17 April 2018
After two Supreme Court judges are assassinated a major investigation is launched; there is also a much smaller investigation... law student Darby Shaw decides to look into the killings and finds a link between the two apparently very different judges; both are nature lovers and blocked an oil development which would have threatened endangered pelicans in Louisiana. She gives this 'Pelican Brief' to her tutor/boyfriend, he passes it on to a friend in the FBI and soon it has made its way to the White House. Somebody clearly doesn't want it made public as her tutor is killed in a car-bombing that Darby narrowly survives. Meanwhile Gray Grantham, a political reporter, is contacted by somebody claiming to have information on the killings. This contact backs out but later Darby contacts Grantham and ultimately they work together; trying to find the evidence they need to prove the theories and more importantly staying ahead of those willing to use ultimate force to ensure the truth isn't revealed.

This political thriller, from the pen of John Grisham, gets off to a good start with the murder of the two judges; it then moves at a cracking pace once Darby has come up with her theory. As the viewer isn't told what is in her 'Pelican Brief' until she tells Grantham there is a degree of mystery for much of the film. Leads Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington do a fine job as does the support cast which includes many familiar faces. The action is impressive; rather than the excess one might expect there are just a couple of explosions and a few shootings which keeps it more believable. Thankfully we are also spared unnecessary romance between the leads. There are of course some clichés such as the 'evils of big business' and links to people in power... this is understandable though as powerful villains help create a sense of hopelessness for our heroes to ultimately overcome. Overall I'd certainly recommend this to anybody who enjoys an intelligent thriller.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.