Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) Poster

What We Lost
Hitchcoc31 December 2016
When Robin Williams died, we lost one of the most creative forces in the history of the entertainment world. He seemed able to latch on to any sort of role and make it his, with that nonstop mind of his. This, of course, has him impersonating a 60 something British nanny who moves in with his own kids in order to be near them. His ex- is Sally Field. Of course, it seems unlikely he would be able to get away with this, but in the context of the movie, he does. What we have from there on are sight gags, close calls, and marvelous improvisation from the master. He also creates an endearing figure that would still pass as a wonderful grandma type in any case. There were times when I forgot Williams was in that costume. There is a delicate touch here that really works. One of the best movies of the year.
27 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny And Heartfelt
claudonio19 January 2000
"Mrs. Doubtfire" is an extremely funny and heartfelt film. It has tons of laughs as well as tears, this is definitly Robin Williams' best film. Watching williams do voices as well as play Mrs. Doubtfire is a real treat. Also the supporting cast of actors do an excellent job, I highly reccomend it.
78 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mrs. Doubtfire hits the spot
AlsExGal14 August 2020
This massive hit gave Robin Williams a very good opportunity to show both his comic and dramatic abilities. He had done both in previous movies, but this was the first one when he did both at the same time.

Williams plays Daniel Hillard, a man who loves his children but is not very good at adulting. Sally Field plays his wife, Miranda, who is an interior designer, and who comes home to a wild birthday party that Daniel is throwing for their son, ironically after being fired from yet another job because he is difficult.

This causes a blow up argument between Daniel and Miranda, and Miranda asks for a divorce. Daniel only gets Saturday visitation with his kids, and since he has been with his kids every day of their lives, he is dissatisfied. So when Miranda advertises for a housekeeper, Daniel applies dressed as Mrs. Doubtfire , a personable 50 something British matron, and gets the job. The reason he has such a professional costume and makeup job that his own wife and kids don't recognize him? His brother, played by Harvey Fierstein in a brilliant cameo, is a makeup artist for the film industry. How does this all work out? Let's just say that complications ensue.

I'm just going to take a tack on this I haven't heard very many people take. Robin Williams is brilliant in this and his character has my complete sympathy except for the fact that he apparently had a habit of quitting jobs over artistic license in an expensive town like San Francisco with three kids to support. Yet I found Field's character of Miranda completely unlikable. Daniel has been what he has been for years, but she waits until her profession puts her side by side with a wealthy handsome ex-flame (Pierce Brosnan) to ask for that seemingly out-of-the-blue divorce, seems thrilled when she gets sole custody in the initial hearing even though she knows what Daniel's kids mean to him, and stays mum when the second hearing goes badly for Daniel although she certainly knew why Daniel did what he did. In other words, like so many women who file for divorce, she just wishes the father would magically disintegrate as long as his child support checks keep coming. Because in Pierce Brosnan's character she has found a bigger better deal.

The message today seems pretty obvious - "there are all kinds of families". But believe it or not, while this movie was being filmed, the 1992 presidential campaign was being fought, in part, on the ground of what a real family actually looks like. That and the spelling of the word potato. But I digress.

My favorite scene - Daniel is getting ready to leave the house, he and Miranda have separated, and he is saying goodbye to his children. The son blames himself for the separation saying it happened because of his birthday party. Daniel reassures him "you did nothing wrong. This would have happened regardless." Children often blame themselves for their parents' divorce and it is important to reassure them that this is not the case.

This is a very good drama and comedy. If you want something the whole family can watch, this still fits the bill 27 years later. It skillfully handles the topic of divorce and its impact on children and parents without getting into "Squid and the Whale" territory. But you may find yourself asking unanswered questions such as, how do Daniel and Miranda afford what is today a five million dollar house in an expensive city like San Francisco AND three kids? Also, why is Daniel's brother working in San Francisco instead of Hollywood?

HIghly recommended.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robin Williams Dressed Up As A 60 Year Old Women? HILARIOUS!
GrantCAGE18 August 2001
I saw this movie at the cinema in 1993 and thought it was fantastic! It has everything you could ever really want in a comedy. Daniel Hillard (Robin Williams) will do ANYTHING to see his children! This movie has plenty of gags, but it all comes together in a nice, friendly framework that centres around one man's family and that man's love for his children that'll make him dress up as a 60 year old granny to get back into their lives! Plenty of laughs throughout and all-round great performances. 9/10
98 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie that shows off Robin Williams' strengths as both a comedy star and a serious actor!
benaboo11 July 2018
This is one of my favorite comedies and one of Robin Williams' best performances. I love how Robin Williams plays a woman convincingly without being over the top. This movie shows off a lot of his comedic skills and some of his serious acting chops. Robin Williams will always hold a special place in my heart as one of the greatest actors of all time and one of my biggest acting inspirations. Sally Field, Pierce Brosnan, and the child actors are also really great in this movie. The themes of divorce are handled very well. I wish Robin Williams was still around acting in movies. Rest In Peace, Sir!
62 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful buxom British nanny hilariously captures your heart
roghache11 March 2006
For me, this was the funniest movie I ever saw. Not normally a huge fan of comedy, I was just about rolling in the theatre aisles during this gem. Robin Williams is brilliant in his 'dual role' as the rejected husband, Daniel, and the buxom British nanny, Mrs. Doubtfire.

This movie tells the story of a bitter separation, when Miranda insists on a divorce from her immature, goofy husband. Daniel, denied custody and given only limited visitation, concocts a female nanny character for himself in order to gain daily access to his three children. The kids grow to love and depend on their unusual but very concerned and efficient new nanny, Mrs. Doubtfire, who really gets the household running extremely smoothly. Of course meanwhile Miranda has a new love interest named Stu.

Williams' portrayal of Mrs. Doubtfire is hilarious in every way, shape, and form. The wig, stockings, dress, make up...it's all too amusing, watching Daniel transform for the part. Wait till you see Mrs. Doubtfire cooking! The most insanely funny scene is at a restaurant where Daniel / Mrs. Doubtfire must quickly be in two places at the same time, so he / she is forced to alternate between personae at lightning speed, sometimes forgetting which one he / she is at any given moment. I won't give away the plot, but I nigh expired from laughing.

Sally Field charmingly plays Daniel's now separated wife, Miranda, and Pierce Brosnan is suitably unsympathetic as her new love interest, Stu. We cheer for Daniel through his assorted antics as he tries to shoo away this romantic competitor for his ex wife's affections and especially, this new male threatening to usurp his role as father to his kids.

Desite being a comedy, this film does on the serious side reveal the devastating effects of divorce on children's lives and also particularly on the noncustodial parent. Daniel is distraught as he misses seeing his kids every day. Furthermore, the entrance of a new love interest naturally adds to the general strife.

Where did Mrs. Doubtfire get her unusual name? Does she live on or fizzle out at movie's end? Will Daniel and Miranda get back together, or will Stu prevail? I won't divulge any spoilers, but I guarantee you'll fall in love with this lovable large nanny and wish you could have her babysit your own kids. Mrs. Doubtfire will certainly live on in your heart.
45 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and touching- a must see!
TheLittleSongbird13 April 2010
What a thoroughly enjoyable movie. I really like Robin Williams, an actor that is I personally don't care for him that much as a comedian, and the roles of Daniel Hillard and Mrs Doubtfire were perfect for him. While he was fine as Daniel, it is his tour-de-force performance of Mrs Doubtfire that drives the film. Plus the make up used on him was fantastic. Also worthy of credit is director Chris Columbus, who nails the use of Williams's exuberance and quick-fire personality, and because of this every gag hits the right buttons. There are cracking set pieces such as the make up experiments and the series of table hopping quick changes. And I for one liked the routine with the dinosaur, it wasn't one of the better gags but it was funny. Pierce Brosnan also does surprisingly well as the bachelor looking for a ready-made family, and Mara Wilson gives one of her better performances as Natalie, very delightful and charming her performance was. The script is also funny and touching, the score is warm and sweet and the film is very nice to look at. Some people didn't like the ending, but I had no real problem with it personally. My only complaints are that the film is a little too long and Sally Field overdoes the exasperation slightly as the mother, but overall this is a delightful film, no matter how many times you see it, you are likely to love it every time, whether it is Williams, the gags or Wilson. 9/10 Bethany Cox
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An analysis of gender roles in late twentieth-century society, But first and foremost a comedy.
JamesHitchcock31 December 2010
"Mrs. Doubtfire" has a lot in common with "Tootsie", another cross-dressing comedy from around a decade earlier. Like Michael Dorsey, the character played by Dustin Hoffman in that film, the hero Daniel Hillard is an out-of-work actor who spends much of the movie pretending to be a woman. Their motives for female impersonation, however, are different. Michael, unable to find work as an actor, thinks that he will have more success if he becomes an actress. Daniel has recently been though a harrowing divorce from his wife Miranda, who has been awarded custody of their three children. Although Daniel loves his children deeply, he only has limited visitation rights, so in order to spend more time with them he uses his acting skills to disguise himself as a 60-year-old British nanny, whom he names Euphegenia Doubtfire. In his new persona he applies for, and obtains, a job as Miranda's housekeeper.

(Mrs Doubtfire is referred to in the script as "English", but her accent is definitely Scottish. Her surname, in the context of the film, was taken from a newspaper headline reading "Police doubt fire was accidental", but it does appear to be a genuine one. The name "Euphegenia", probably a portmanteau of "Euphemia" and "Iphigenia", seems to be Daniel's own invention).

"Tootsie" was (among other things) a satire on sexist attitudes in the workplace. "Mrs Doubtfire" is (among other things) an analysis of gender roles in late twentieth-century society and a critique of American divorce law. Most contested child-custody cases end with custody being given to the mother, largely because of the assumption that women are the caring, nurturing sex and that the father's role is to act as the family breadwinner, a role which, it is assumed, can be performed just as well by an absent father as by a present one. Feminists have been strangely reluctant to criticise this assumption, even though it rests upon "woman's place is in the home" stereotypes which, in other contexts, they would be the first to denounce as outdated.

There is a good deal of satire in the film at the expense of the American court system and the way in which it handles matrimonial cases. The social worker appointed by the Court to report on the child custody issue is a particular figure of fun. In Britain, social workers are often caricatured as right-on politically correct liberals. In America, to judge from the film, it would seem that they are ultra-conservative old ladies who still think that they are living in the 1950s.

"Mrs Doubtfire" also questions some of our basic assumptions about the sexes. Daniel is not very successful in his career, although he clearly has talent as an actor. It is Miranda, a successful businesswoman, who is the family's main breadwinner. Yet it is Daniel who comes across as the more caring and empathetic in his relationship with the children. Although Miranda means well she is too distant and preoccupied with her business to have much time for them. After her divorce much she is forced to delegate much of their care to the supposed "Mrs Doubtfire"- care which before the divorce would have been undertaken by their father. Daniel's main fault as a father was that he has been too indulgent with his children and has failed to discipline them. Paradoxically, it is only when he adopts a feminine personality that he is able to become a firm father-figure.

The obvious temptation would have been to have turned the film into a sentimental comedy of remarriage by making Miranda's new boyfriend Stuart (played by a pre-Bond Pierce Brosnan) an obvious villain and by having Daniel and Miranda living together again by the end of the film, much to the delight of their children. This temptation was, however, resisted, and I think that was the right decision. The film bravely acknowledges that love does not always conquer all and that not all marriages are made in heaven; it ends, however, with a plea to parents to put the interests of their children first, even when their won relationship is breaking down.

It would, however, be wrong to analyse this film solely in terms of social issues. It is, first and foremost, a comedy, and a very successful one. Daniel and his alter ego Mrs Doubtfire are both played by Robin Williams, probably the ideal actor for the role because of his talent as a mimic and his ability to do all sorts of comic voices. Largely because of Williams's talents, the film is one of the funniest American movies of the nineties, with some brilliantly conceived and acted scenes, including his voice-overs for the "Pudgy the Parrot" cartoons, the anarchic birthday party he throws for his son and just about everything he does in his "Doubtfire" persona. Along with "Good Morning, Vietnam", "Dead Poets Society" and "One Hour Photo" this is one of Williams's greatest films. It is certainly his funniest performance. 9/10
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a Film to Fully Display Williams' Comedic Talents.
tfrizzell2 July 2002
Robin Williams stars as a divorcee who decides to see his children a lot more by posing as an elderly British woman in this smart and innovative comedy that works because of Williams' performance more than anything else. Sally Field is solid as the ex-wife and Pierce Brosnan is excellent as her new love interest. Great comedy that could be best described as a poor man's "Tootsie". 4 stars out of 5.
29 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional and funny, one of the most vivid character studies ever. ***1/2 out of ****.
Movie-127 February 2000
MRS. DOUBTFIRE (1993) ***1/2

Starring: Robin Williams, Sally Field, Mara Wilson, and Pierce Brosnan

Directed by Chris Columbus. Written by Leslie Dixon and Randi Mayem Singer. Running time: 125 minutes. Rated PG-13 (for sexual references and some language)

By Blake French:

"Mrs. Doubtfire" is one of the most invigorating, vivid character studies to be produced on the big screen this decade. Most of the characters are strongly executed with decisive dialogue. They are also beautifully written with tainted personalities and uncompromising wit. Chris Columbus has assembled a stellar dramatic comedy with excellent screen writing, giving audiences one of the most punctually artful films I have ever witnessed.

The opening scene is as brilliantly structured as screen writing otherwise comes. It has a middle-aged man named Daniel, whom we learn about as he quits his job as a vocal performer for a children's cartoon after he realizes his employers are immoral. This sequence provides us with a development of the character's inner personality, strong morals and consciences. The audience also leans that he is a silly, easy going person. We soon find out it is these characteristics that propel the movie into the first plot point.

Daniel's wife, Miranda, wishes to divorce him because he is too goofy and immature. We are propelled quickly into the firm second act after the divorce. Before this point, we have witnessed both actions and dialogue reallocating Daniel's love and compassion for his family, especially his children. The film sets up the for following events using Robin Williams character as the plot advancer.

Daniel lusts for time with his children so much, he confidentially disguises himself as a sixty year old woman then applies for a day-care job for his ex-wife--this would allow him to be around his children more often. Miranda falls for it, and the master of disguise gets his opportunity. The film then takes us through a hilarious and emotional journey into the lives of a typical American divorced family.

The internal problem becomes more complex when Daniel's ex wife shows romantic interest in a new boyfriend, underplayed by Pierce Brosnan. The filmmakers could have done more with the Brosnan character. Here, he seems developed with repetition and dialogue. Although his purpose is to accommodate romantic competition, we don't know enough about him to care that much.

"Mrs. Doubtfire" contains some material that fairs as overly blunt and outwardly apprehensive. Although the overall presentation is understandable and relative, I still think the picture could have been better with more careful script writing. Even such, we are able to witness a powerful, touching film with a conclusion that is so settling, you will cry with joy.

Brought to you by 20th Century Fox.
51 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A TRULY TOUCHING, COMICAL MASTERPIECE
CHARLIE-896 February 1999
MRS. DOUBTFIRE is easily one of the best movies ever made. Robin Williams makes audiences laugh and cry at his portrayal of a loving father who wants nothing more than to be with his children. After a painful divorce, he tries to gain custody of his children. This is the premise of the film. Along the way, of course, there are plenty of laughs, especially some great moments with Harvey Fierstein as Williams' brother and hair stylist. This film is so moving that it deserves to be seen by everyone.
59 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Charming Family Film
catfarmer135817 September 2018
I was a young girl the first time I saw Mrs. Doubtfire. I was introduced to the movie by my parents. While some of the movies lines are "inappropriate", I still think that the movie is a Important and heartwarming film that every family should watch together. Despite the Films PG-13 rating, I don't really see anything inappropriate about the film. If anything people can watch the film to see the comedic genius that (was) Robin Williams. People can also learn a wonderful message from the form. No family is perfect, and sometimes families won't be together but that doesn't mean that there is no love. Love is sprinkled all throughout this film and that's probably what makes it's withstand the test of time. While Robin Williams is sadly no longer with us, his comedic timing and adlibbing of fantastic one liners will live on forever through Mrs. Doubtfire and so many other wonderful films. I encourage every family to watch this film together, it will touch your life forever.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A GREAT FAMILY FILM
alcantaraj-1659424 September 2021
"Mrs. Doubtfire" is already an amazing story of family. It will surely touch the hearts of families, especially those who can relate to the story of a broken family. Add to that the amazing performances and Robin Williams in one of his best and most iconic roles and you have the perfect combination to make one of the 90s best films.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not overdone at all
Quinoa198428 September 2000
Some might think that this film isn't funny. But I dare you to watch it (even though it isn't dangerous). This is one of Robin Williams's best acted films to date and he will probably never be any funnier than here (except in a couple of other films and his stand-up). He plays a free-spirited man who's wife is divorcing him. Since he can't stand being apart from his kids, he devises a plan to become a housekeeper in the house, at any cost (even at Oscar winning makeup to turn him into a English maid with wicked humor). Funny in parts, and those parts are the best. but also with a very deep yet almost hidden message about families. Possibly the funniest film by WIlliams and of 1993.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I miss this guy so much.
Analog_Devotee25 January 2021
An impeccable performance by Robin Williams, debatably his best, undeniably his most unique. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this film. Hilarious, insightful, heartfelt... Great writing and all-around wonderful performances from everyone onboard. If you somehow haven't seen this yet, do yourself a favor and undo that mistake as soon as possible -- you won't be disappointed.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie you simply have to love
Bored_Dragon28 October 2016
One of my favorite childhood movies. It won Oscar for make-up and Robin got Golden Globe. One of the best and most fun actors ever in one of his best achievements. IMDb rating is shameful. I watched this masterpiece countless times and every time I laugh like madman regardless that I know it by heart and every time it brings tears in my eyes at the end. Beautiful beyond any description.

I miss Robin Williams...
funtasticfour28 March 2020
When Robin died, it was one of the saddest moments ever. He was a hero to me comedically and the fact that he was suffering from depression was so tragic. This movie is one of his greatest performances, up there with Aladdin. Not a wholly original story but made better by him. A truly fantastic movie that I was happy to rewatch on Disney+
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mrs. Doubtfire
JoBloTheMovieCritic5 September 2021
10/10 - Robin Williams is at his best in this hysterical and highly memorable comedy that mostly holds up today.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
funny and wonderful movie!
yumincoromochi30 November 2004
Many people say that "Mrs.Doubtfire" is one of the funniest movies ever made in the U.S. I agree with the above idea for the following two reasons. First,performance of the voice of Robin Williams is very wonderful.For example, he uses a lot of funny ad lib in the stand-in of animation in the first scene. Second, Robin Williams and Sally Field as well as the three children act very delightfully though the movie deals with a rather serious theme---warmth and importance of family. Some people say Sally Field doesn't act well in this movie. But, I think that she acts a role of a wife whom is worried about her husband excelentlly. We feel big love of both father and mother toward children. It is not only a real funny comedy but also a real wonderful family movie.
81 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Heeeeellooooooooooooo"
frosty-4443110 February 2021
For me this is Robin Williams best film. Loved it as a kid and still love it now.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Funny Comedy with Two Great Sequences
Michael_Elliott15 January 2010
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)

*** (out of 4)

When his wife (Sally Field) divorces him and the courts take his children away except for one day a week, an actor/father (Robin Williams) decides to dress us as the elderly Mrs. Doubtfire so that he can be the family maid and spend more time with the children. I remember seeing this hit a couple times when it was originally released in theaters but it's been quite a while between viewings but I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the film held up. There are still many, many problems in the film but the main goal here was to be a showcase for Williams and it's certainly that. The highlights are certainly Williams going all out and delivering a marvelous performance not only as Mrs. Doubtfire but also as the father. I thought Williams did a very good job at handling the role of the struggling father even if the screenplay lets the film down with a few of these dramatic moments that I'll talk about later. Williams handles every situation wonderfully well but there's no doubt the real genius comes in the role of Doubtfire. The way he plays this character isn't simply him in a fat suit and make up but instead he really delivers a true performance and makes this character feel real and not just some put on. I think Williams perfectly nails this character so well that one could pass it off as a real English woman. He perfectly handles all the comedy scenes and that includes two sequences that rank as some of the best screwball moments of the decade. There are two sequences where he must go back and forth between the father role and that of Doubtfire and these scenes get the biggest laughs of the movie. This is especially true towards the end of the film when he has to spend time with the family as Doubtfire as well as impress a hopeful boss as the father. Field and Pierce Brosnan turn in fine supporting work but there's no question that the film belongs to Williams. I think there are a few major flaws with the film, which includes the biggest and that's the final twenty-minutes of the film when we enter some rather very dark moments including a very distasteful courtroom scene where Williams' character's mental issues are questioned. This was just way too dark for all the laughs that preceded it. The actual ending is one you'd expect but even it doesn't work out overly well. With that said, this is still one of the better, mainstream comedies of the 90s and Williams performance makes it a must see.
A blessing in disguise!
Rabical-9116 February 2018
'Mrs. Doubtfire' is one of my favourite comedy films of all time for many reasons. For one, it was directed by Chris Columbus, who has worked on classics such as 'Home Alone' and 'Only The Lonely', for another reason many of my favourite songs such 'Walk Like A Man' by The Four Seasons and 'Luck Be A Lady' by Frank Sinatra comprise the soundtrack but the main reason of all is that it tackles a very important issue, the affects a marital separation can have on a family. The late Robin Williams was the man ( or lady....or man... or......oh forget it! ) for the job as Daniel Hillard, an out of work actor who takes on the task of housekeeper for his estranged wife. Though highly popular on its release, some critics gave it a right hammering. One poor fool compared it unfairly to Dustin Hoffman's 'Tootsie'. Apart from the fact that the two lead character's dress up in drag, I see no similarities between the two films whatsoever.

Daniel Hillard is an out of work actor who following his resignation from his job is to be divorced from his dragon of a wife Miranda. He manages to secure himself another job as well as getting himself a new apartment but is only limited to seeing his children once a week. Desperate to see his children more regularly, he disguises himself as an old woman and applies for the job of housekeeper at Miranda's house after she advertises for help. He goes under the name Mrs. Doubtfire and manages to endear himself to the children. However it is only a matter of time before the act is blown.

Well, what can one say except it is brilliant from start to finish. Robin Williams is hilarious as the lead character, particularly in the scene where his false boobs catch fire when he is trying to cook. Sally Field makes for a suitably snobbish Miranda. Also doing a good job are Lisa Jakub, Matthew Lawrence and Mara Wilson ( who later landed the leading role in the big screen adaption of Roald Dahl's 'Matilda' ). Also appearing in supporting roles are Pierce Brosnan, Polly Holiday, Anne Haney, Harvey Firestein and Robert Prosky.

Having been the victim of a broken family ( my mother and father divorced when I was 10 years old ), I can relate only to well to 'Mrs. Doubtfire'. The affects of a divorce can have a deeply devastating affect on a family and I feel that Randi Mayem Singer and Leslie Dixon ( who wrote the script ) really nailed it. It also shows wonderfully just how far some parents will go to have time with their children.

Some years ago talk was rife of 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' but it thankfully never came to anything. I fail to see how they could have credibly conceived a sequel as everything that needed to be said and done was already done in the first film.

A timeless classic which one can never tire of watching!

Funniest bit - the 'boobs catching fire' sequence. ''My first day as a woman and I am getting hot flushes!'' says Daniel!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ooooh you wicked, wicked monkey!
hitchcockthelegend22 March 2013
Mrs. Doubtfire is directed by Chris Columbus and adapted to screenplay by Randi Mayem Singer and Leslie Dixon from the novel Alias Madame Doubtfire written by Anne Fine. It stars Robin Williams, Sally Field, Lisa Jakub, Matthew Lawrence, Mara Wilson, Pierce Brosnan and Harvey Fierstein. Music is by Howard Shore and cinematography by Donald McAlpine.

Robin Williams plays Daniel Hillard, a struggling out of work actor who when faced with divorce from Miranda (Field) and separation from his three children, disguises himself as an old female housekeeper in order to see them daily.

Centrally as a film it is what it is, a chance for Williams (excellent) to dress up in drag and act the goof, but boy does he do it well. In the mix is the serious aspects involving the pain of imminent divorce and separation from one's children. The script is sharp and ready made for Williams' brand of cynical witticisms, while not painting Brosnan's Stuart Dunmire (the new man in Miranda's life) as an oily snake shows good sense in the writing. The child actors are engaging and never sickly, while Fierstein as Daniel's artistic eccentric brother is gloriously colourful.

A real family crowd pleaser that turned a profit of over $400 million at the worldwide box office, it's not a film that pushes boundaries of "drag" comedy, and you don't have to dig too far for flaws. But this is often very funny and it hits the right emotional beats for the topic at hand. 8/10
Funny Stuff
Lechuguilla8 November 2010
Funny man Robin Williams morphs into an old nanny with a British accent, named "Euphegenia Doubtfire". The film's premise is as clever as it is silly. And only Robin Williams could have made the film work. After an effective opening, the plot zips right along, unfolding a deft story that includes various site gags, en route to an ending that is believable, given the film's genre and character setup. A serious message, pertinent to marriage and children, frames and supports the comedic plot, which gives the film depth and substance.

The entire production hangs on the talents of Robin Williams: versatile, energetic, improvisational, and hugely entertaining. It's the kind of talent that seems natural, not studied or forced. The rest of the cast orbits Williams, but does so effectively. There's not a weak casting link in the bunch. And makeup artists must have had a field day with Mrs. Doubtfire, who, though rather imposing for a female, comes across quite believable, again given that the film is a comedy.

My only "serious" complaint is the cinematography. That widescreen projection is too severe. I would have preferred more of a full screen projection.

"Mrs. Doubtfire" will not be everyone's cup of tea. You have to give the film wide latitude. But I liked it. I laughed, not only at Robin Williams, but also at the dialogue and the plot's improbable situations. A sense of the absurd is what comedy is all about.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does it hold up?
ericstevenson17 November 2018
I normally don't watch a movie I've already seen, but I decided to make an exception because I wanted to be with my family! Enough about my personal life, does this movie hold up? Yes, it certainly does. I actually heard Robin Williams was in a lot of bad comedies in his later career. I guess I can't really say his funniest movie was "Aladdin". This would be his best pure comedy!

We still see a lot of great dramatic moments in it too. The plot features a guy who crossdresses to find more time to spend with his kids after a custody battle. We get a lot of great little jokes sprinkled throughout the whole film. Through all of this, it still manages to be quite realistic. It's not a fairy tale happy ending, but it's at least hopeful. Man, was Marla Wilson prolific. ***1/2