Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) Poster

A movie that shows off Robin Williams' strengths as both a comedy star and a serious actor!
benaboo11 July 2018
This is one of my favorite comedies and one of Robin Williams' best performances. I love how Robin Williams plays a woman convincingly without being over the top. This movie shows off a lot of his comedic skills and some of his serious acting chops. Robin Williams will always hold a special place in my heart as one of the greatest actors of all time and one of my biggest acting inspirations. Sally Field, Pierce Brosnan, and the child actors are also really great in this movie. The themes of divorce are handled very well. I wish Robin Williams was still around acting in movies. Rest In Peace, Sir!
22 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robin Williams Dressed Up As A 60 Year Old Women? HILARIOUS!
GrantCAGE18 August 2001
I saw this movie at the cinema in 1993 and thought it was fantastic! It has everything you could ever really want in a comedy. Daniel Hillard (Robin Williams) will do ANYTHING to see his children! This movie has plenty of gags, but it all comes together in a nice, friendly framework that centres around one man's family and that man's love for his children that'll make him dress up as a 60 year old granny to get back into their lives! Plenty of laughs throughout and all-round great performances. 9/10
81 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny And Heartfelt
claudonio19 January 2000
"Mrs. Doubtfire" is an extremely funny and heartfelt film. It has tons of laughs as well as tears, this is definitly Robin Williams' best film. Watching williams do voices as well as play Mrs. Doubtfire is a real treat. Also the supporting cast of actors do an excellent job, I highly reccomend it.
57 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
funny and wonderful movie!
yumincoromochi30 November 2004
Many people say that "Mrs.Doubtfire" is one of the funniest movies ever made in the U.S. I agree with the above idea for the following two reasons. First,performance of the voice of Robin Williams is very wonderful.For example, he uses a lot of funny ad lib in the stand-in of animation in the first scene. Second, Robin Williams and Sally Field as well as the three children act very delightfully though the movie deals with a rather serious theme---warmth and importance of family. Some people say Sally Field doesn't act well in this movie. But, I think that she acts a role of a wife whom is worried about her husband excelentlly. We feel big love of both father and mother toward children. It is not only a real funny comedy but also a real wonderful family movie.
77 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Charming Family Film
catfarmer135817 September 2018
I was a young girl the first time I saw Mrs. Doubtfire. I was introduced to the movie by my parents. While some of the movies lines are "inappropriate", I still think that the movie is a Important and heartwarming film that every family should watch together. Despite the Films PG-13 rating, I don't really see anything inappropriate about the film. If anything people can watch the film to see the comedic genius that (was) Robin Williams. People can also learn a wonderful message from the form. No family is perfect, and sometimes families won't be together but that doesn't mean that there is no love. Love is sprinkled all throughout this film and that's probably what makes it's withstand the test of time. While Robin Williams is sadly no longer with us, his comedic timing and adlibbing of fantastic one liners will live on forever through Mrs. Doubtfire and so many other wonderful films. I encourage every family to watch this film together, it will touch your life forever.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A TRULY TOUCHING, COMICAL MASTERPIECE
CHARLIE-896 February 1999
MRS. DOUBTFIRE is easily one of the best movies ever made. Robin Williams makes audiences laugh and cry at his portrayal of a loving father who wants nothing more than to be with his children. After a painful divorce, he tries to gain custody of his children. This is the premise of the film. Along the way, of course, there are plenty of laughs, especially some great moments with Harvey Fierstein as Williams' brother and hair stylist. This film is so moving that it deserves to be seen by everyone.
55 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low IMDb deserves at least 8.5
artmis-7645724 September 2018
R I P to one of the best actors Robin Williams You gave so much value to the filmography
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful buxom British nanny hilariously captures your heart
roghache11 March 2006
For me, this was the funniest movie I ever saw. Not normally a huge fan of comedy, I was just about rolling in the theatre aisles during this gem. Robin Williams is brilliant in his 'dual role' as the rejected husband, Daniel, and the buxom British nanny, Mrs. Doubtfire.

This movie tells the story of a bitter separation, when Miranda insists on a divorce from her immature, goofy husband. Daniel, denied custody and given only limited visitation, concocts a female nanny character for himself in order to gain daily access to his three children. The kids grow to love and depend on their unusual but very concerned and efficient new nanny, Mrs. Doubtfire, who really gets the household running extremely smoothly. Of course meanwhile Miranda has a new love interest named Stu.

Williams' portrayal of Mrs. Doubtfire is hilarious in every way, shape, and form. The wig, stockings, dress, make up...it's all too amusing, watching Daniel transform for the part. Wait till you see Mrs. Doubtfire cooking! The most insanely funny scene is at a restaurant where Daniel / Mrs. Doubtfire must quickly be in two places at the same time, so he / she is forced to alternate between personae at lightning speed, sometimes forgetting which one he / she is at any given moment. I won't give away the plot, but I nigh expired from laughing.

Sally Field charmingly plays Daniel's now separated wife, Miranda, and Pierce Brosnan is suitably unsympathetic as her new love interest, Stu. We cheer for Daniel through his assorted antics as he tries to shoo away this romantic competitor for his ex wife's affections and especially, this new male threatening to usurp his role as father to his kids.

Desite being a comedy, this film does on the serious side reveal the devastating effects of divorce on children's lives and also particularly on the noncustodial parent. Daniel is distraught as he misses seeing his kids every day. Furthermore, the entrance of a new love interest naturally adds to the general strife.

Where did Mrs. Doubtfire get her unusual name? Does she live on or fizzle out at movie's end? Will Daniel and Miranda get back together, or will Stu prevail? I won't divulge any spoilers, but I guarantee you'll fall in love with this lovable large nanny and wish you could have her babysit your own kids. Mrs. Doubtfire will certainly live on in your heart.
36 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
funny comedy!!
saki_puramu_513 November 2004
Many people say that Mrs Doubtfire is one of the funniest movies ever made in the U.S. I agree with the above idea. I think Robin Williams is one of the best comedians in the world. His performance in this movie is perfect and gives us a lot of laugh. There are also some impressive scenes in which performance of the three kid actors really shine.

In addition, the storyline is easy to understand and is for everybody. It is a heart-warming movie which gives us a lot of laugh and tear. Through this movie, we can learn the divorce situation in the U.S. We can also recognize the importance of family bonds.

Persdonally, it is a little regrettable that the story does not have a happy ending. I wish they could together happily again.

This is a very funny comedy but it also help us grow. I want to see Mrs. Doubtfire repeatedly in my life.
46 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional and funny, one of the most vivid character studies ever. ***1/2 out of ****.
Movie-127 February 2000
MRS. DOUBTFIRE (1993) ***1/2

Starring: Robin Williams, Sally Field, Mara Wilson, and Pierce Brosnan

Directed by Chris Columbus. Written by Leslie Dixon and Randi Mayem Singer. Running time: 125 minutes. Rated PG-13 (for sexual references and some language)

By Blake French:

"Mrs. Doubtfire" is one of the most invigorating, vivid character studies to be produced on the big screen this decade. Most of the characters are strongly executed with decisive dialogue. They are also beautifully written with tainted personalities and uncompromising wit. Chris Columbus has assembled a stellar dramatic comedy with excellent screen writing, giving audiences one of the most punctually artful films I have ever witnessed.

The opening scene is as brilliantly structured as screen writing otherwise comes. It has a middle-aged man named Daniel, whom we learn about as he quits his job as a vocal performer for a children's cartoon after he realizes his employers are immoral. This sequence provides us with a development of the character's inner personality, strong morals and consciences. The audience also leans that he is a silly, easy going person. We soon find out it is these characteristics that propel the movie into the first plot point.

Daniel's wife, Miranda, wishes to divorce him because he is too goofy and immature. We are propelled quickly into the firm second act after the divorce. Before this point, we have witnessed both actions and dialogue reallocating Daniel's love and compassion for his family, especially his children. The film sets up the for following events using Robin Williams character as the plot advancer.

Daniel lusts for time with his children so much, he confidentially disguises himself as a sixty year old woman then applies for a day-care job for his ex-wife--this would allow him to be around his children more often. Miranda falls for it, and the master of disguise gets his opportunity. The film then takes us through a hilarious and emotional journey into the lives of a typical American divorced family.

The internal problem becomes more complex when Daniel's ex wife shows romantic interest in a new boyfriend, underplayed by Pierce Brosnan. The filmmakers could have done more with the Brosnan character. Here, he seems developed with repetition and dialogue. Although his purpose is to accommodate romantic competition, we don't know enough about him to care that much.

"Mrs. Doubtfire" contains some material that fairs as overly blunt and outwardly apprehensive. Although the overall presentation is understandable and relative, I still think the picture could have been better with more careful script writing. Even such, we are able to witness a powerful, touching film with a conclusion that is so settling, you will cry with joy.

Brought to you by 20th Century Fox.
51 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a Film to Fully Display Williams' Comedic Talents.
tfrizzell2 July 2002
Robin Williams stars as a divorcee who decides to see his children a lot more by posing as an elderly British woman in this smart and innovative comedy that works because of Williams' performance more than anything else. Sally Field is solid as the ex-wife and Pierce Brosnan is excellent as her new love interest. Great comedy that could be best described as a poor man's "Tootsie". 4 stars out of 5.
29 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure gem
UniqueParticle26 January 2020
Lovely family comedy that is still talked about damn well should be! Beyond cute and heartwarming; watching Mrs. Doubtfire soothes me! The music is great goes very well with everything throughout. I'm so happy with the way things play out too.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
perfect movie!!
ueoy15 November 2006
This is one of the best movies of Fall-Dawn funny, comical, and impressive.

Daniel Hirard, played by Robin Willams, who is losing his job are declared divorce by his wife. And he has to separate from his wife and 3 children.

One day, he decide he will be housekeeper to meet his family. He makes up and become MRS.DOUATFIRE....

I really like this movie because this is a family comedy movie and it is warming movie. The plot teach us about importance of family. The performance are amazing and powerful all around.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and touching- a must see!
TheLittleSongbird13 April 2010
What a thoroughly enjoyable movie. I really like Robin Williams, an actor that is I personally don't care for him that much as a comedian, and the roles of Daniel Hillard and Mrs Doubtfire were perfect for him. While he was fine as Daniel, it is his tour-de-force performance of Mrs Doubtfire that drives the film. Plus the make up used on him was fantastic. Also worthy of credit is director Chris Columbus, who nails the use of Williams's exuberance and quick-fire personality, and because of this every gag hits the right buttons. There are cracking set pieces such as the make up experiments and the series of table hopping quick changes. And I for one liked the routine with the dinosaur, it wasn't one of the better gags but it was funny. Pierce Brosnan also does surprisingly well as the bachelor looking for a ready-made family, and Mara Wilson gives one of her better performances as Natalie, very delightful and charming her performance was. The script is also funny and touching, the score is warm and sweet and the film is very nice to look at. Some people didn't like the ending, but I had no real problem with it personally. My only complaints are that the film is a little too long and Sally Field overdoes the exasperation slightly as the mother, but overall this is a delightful film, no matter how many times you see it, you are likely to love it every time, whether it is Williams, the gags or Wilson. 9/10 Bethany Cox
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robin deserved more recognition
liamlop24 March 2020
I just recently watched this film, and I believe that Robin Williams deserved more awards for this film. His performance was wonderful, one of the best Robin Williams' performances I've seen. He is a magnificent performer, and this movie shows that he can be both comedic and dramatic in one film. I truly believe that he deserved an Academy Award nomination for his truly wonderful performance in this film, among many others.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Great Robin WIlliams Comedy
luvthelake1611 November 2006
Great family movie! Robin Williams excels again! Haven't laughed so much since the Birdcage when Williams outdid himself once again! Don't just rent this one, buy it! It's worth watching over and over again. Sally Field brings a wonderful touch to the movie too. My family really enjoyed the "tea scene with the social worker". And let's not forget the "cooking scene" that goes haywire! This movie will have you laughing hysterically over and over again at the many comedic scenes. Can't wait to see what 2007 will bring with the new release of Mrs. Doubtfire II. All I can say is "What took so long?" Make this a family night & enjoy! Add this to your collection, you won't regret it!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An analysis of gender roles in late twentieth-century society, But first and foremost a comedy.
JamesHitchcock31 December 2010
"Mrs. Doubtfire" has a lot in common with "Tootsie", another cross-dressing comedy from around a decade earlier. Like Michael Dorsey, the character played by Dustin Hoffman in that film, the hero Daniel Hillard is an out-of-work actor who spends much of the movie pretending to be a woman. Their motives for female impersonation, however, are different. Michael, unable to find work as an actor, thinks that he will have more success if he becomes an actress. Daniel has recently been though a harrowing divorce from his wife Miranda, who has been awarded custody of their three children. Although Daniel loves his children deeply, he only has limited visitation rights, so in order to spend more time with them he uses his acting skills to disguise himself as a 60-year-old British nanny, whom he names Euphegenia Doubtfire. In his new persona he applies for, and obtains, a job as Miranda's housekeeper.

(Mrs Doubtfire is referred to in the script as "English", but her accent is definitely Scottish. Her surname, in the context of the film, was taken from a newspaper headline reading "Police doubt fire was accidental", but it does appear to be a genuine one. The name "Euphegenia", probably a portmanteau of "Euphemia" and "Iphigenia", seems to be Daniel's own invention).

"Tootsie" was (among other things) a satire on sexist attitudes in the workplace. "Mrs Doubtfire" is (among other things) an analysis of gender roles in late twentieth-century society and a critique of American divorce law. Most contested child-custody cases end with custody being given to the mother, largely because of the assumption that women are the caring, nurturing sex and that the father's role is to act as the family breadwinner, a role which, it is assumed, can be performed just as well by an absent father as by a present one. Feminists have been strangely reluctant to criticise this assumption, even though it rests upon "woman's place is in the home" stereotypes which, in other contexts, they would be the first to denounce as outdated.

There is a good deal of satire in the film at the expense of the American court system and the way in which it handles matrimonial cases. The social worker appointed by the Court to report on the child custody issue is a particular figure of fun. In Britain, social workers are often caricatured as right-on politically correct liberals. In America, to judge from the film, it would seem that they are ultra-conservative old ladies who still think that they are living in the 1950s.

"Mrs Doubtfire" also questions some of our basic assumptions about the sexes. Daniel is not very successful in his career, although he clearly has talent as an actor. It is Miranda, a successful businesswoman, who is the family's main breadwinner. Yet it is Daniel who comes across as the more caring and empathetic in his relationship with the children. Although Miranda means well she is too distant and preoccupied with her business to have much time for them. After her divorce much she is forced to delegate much of their care to the supposed "Mrs Doubtfire"- care which before the divorce would have been undertaken by their father. Daniel's main fault as a father was that he has been too indulgent with his children and has failed to discipline them. Paradoxically, it is only when he adopts a feminine personality that he is able to become a firm father-figure.

The obvious temptation would have been to have turned the film into a sentimental comedy of remarriage by making Miranda's new boyfriend Stuart (played by a pre-Bond Pierce Brosnan) an obvious villain and by having Daniel and Miranda living together again by the end of the film, much to the delight of their children. This temptation was, however, resisted, and I think that was the right decision. The film bravely acknowledges that love does not always conquer all and that not all marriages are made in heaven; it ends, however, with a plea to parents to put the interests of their children first, even when their won relationship is breaking down.

It would, however, be wrong to analyse this film solely in terms of social issues. It is, first and foremost, a comedy, and a very successful one. Daniel and his alter ego Mrs Doubtfire are both played by Robin Williams, probably the ideal actor for the role because of his talent as a mimic and his ability to do all sorts of comic voices. Largely because of Williams's talents, the film is one of the funniest American movies of the nineties, with some brilliantly conceived and acted scenes, including his voice-overs for the "Pudgy the Parrot" cartoons, the anarchic birthday party he throws for his son and just about everything he does in his "Doubtfire" persona. Along with "Good Morning, Vietnam", "Dead Poets Society" and "One Hour Photo" this is one of Williams's greatest films. It is certainly his funniest performance. 9/10
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A eccentric life!!
kitty_and_mi-129 November 2004
Many people say that gMrs. Doubtfireh is one of the funniest movies. I agree with the above idea. First, one of the funniest scene for me is when Mrs. Sellner comes to Danielfs apartment and he transforms between himself and Mrs. Doubtfire so quickly. This busy scene brings constant laughing to us. The second funniest scene for me is when Mrs. Doubtfire cooks the dinner for the first time and she burns her clothes. The scene not only funny but also thrilling and my heart fluttered with worry, too.

I know that some people claim that the storyline is too unrealistic, but I think there are few fathers who love their children as deeply as Daniel.

This movie is not only funny but also impressive. I rate this movie at 8/10.
26 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious Robin Williams
SMLA111 June 2002
I would have never thought that I would see Robin Williams dress up as a sixty-something year old Nanny. Never in my entire life. I first thought that this movie would be a waste of my time. I was dead wrong. This movie is hilarious. Robin Williams is excellent as a divorced man, in order to get closer to his kids, dresses up as a nanny of his ex-wife. Sally Field is very good as Robin's ex-wife. The entire movie is very good.

Overall the whole movie is excellent with good direction and acting. Rating 10 out of 10.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Touches the heart
angelachaddoud8 March 2020
RIP ROB the world loves you. This movie was my childhood favorite and decided to re watch it again after so many years. Still so many heartwarming tears. Great plot not many movies out there like this anymore.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does it hold up?
ericstevenson17 November 2018
I normally don't watch a movie I've already seen, but I decided to make an exception because I wanted to be with my family! Enough about my personal life, does this movie hold up? Yes, it certainly does. I actually heard Robin Williams was in a lot of bad comedies in his later career. I guess I can't really say his funniest movie was "Aladdin". This would be his best pure comedy!

We still see a lot of great dramatic moments in it too. The plot features a guy who crossdresses to find more time to spend with his kids after a custody battle. We get a lot of great little jokes sprinkled throughout the whole film. Through all of this, it still manages to be quite realistic. It's not a fairy tale happy ending, but it's at least hopeful. Man, was Marla Wilson prolific. ***1/2
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There are many reasons this is a great comedy....
Americana115 December 1999
Mrs. Doubtfire is a great comedy for many reasons. 1.) Robin Williams is brilliant in almost any movie he makes, including this movie. 2.) It's great for the whole family which is kind of rare. 3.) It shows that a man can absolutely love his children and want to be a part of their lives. 4.) The music fits the movie and is great. 5.) It's heart-warming as well as funny.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's best comedy!
sumiyo_et_berry16 December 2004
This movie is very funny.

The funniest scenes for me are when Daniel transforms into Mrs.Doubtfire.

They are very wonderful !

I think that R.Williams is one of the greatest comedians.

Because,He has not only brilliant performance skills but also many kinds of voices.

He is really a delightful actor.

If Mrs.Doubtfire were performed by with a different actor,this movie would be a failure.

Thanks to Robin's extraordinary performance,this movie has been a complete success.

But it is true that R.Williams is so impressive that other characters are outshone by him.

Overally, I can guarantee enjoy this movie. 8 out of 10.
26 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not overdone at all
Quinoa198428 September 2000
Some might think that this film isn't funny. But I dare you to watch it (even though it isn't dangerous). This is one of Robin Williams's best acted films to date and he will probably never be any funnier than here (except in a couple of other films and his stand-up). He plays a free-spirited man who's wife is divorcing him. Since he can't stand being apart from his kids, he devises a plan to become a housekeeper in the house, at any cost (even at Oscar winning makeup to turn him into a English maid with wicked humor). Funny in parts, and those parts are the best. but also with a very deep yet almost hidden message about families. Possibly the funniest film by WIlliams and of 1993.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.