Heaven & Earth (1993)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 27 items
|MPAA||Rated R for violence, language and sexuality|
Sex & Nudity
- Two morbidly obese women walk by at a supermarket, both in low-cut tops with cleavage; one woman's top is a spandex tube top revealing the shape of nipples.
- Two underage girls are forcibly taken off a busload of immigrants by two soldiers; the girls later return covered in debris and crying; rape is implied.
- A toddler is seen fully naked from the front standing outdoors.
- Various mentions of "hookers", "whores" and prostitutes; the main character has to be a prostitute to survive, having sex to earn money and then later bathing herself desperately as she cries alone.
- A man has sex with a girl; we see him undo his robe, kiss her, and proceed to have sex. He impregnates her, abandoning her to raise the child out of wedlock.
- Girls have live snakes dropped down their cleavage as a form of torture.
- A man discusses cutting the "nuts" (penis and testicles) off of a live man before leaving him to die.
- A girl gets raped. Part of the woman's breast is shown on one scene. A few sex scenes but not much is shown.
Violence & Gore
- A man with apparent post-traumatic stress disorders discusses how he was made to disembowel a man and eat his liver.
- Characters slap and hit each other.
- One graphic rape scene with later flashbacks, as well as an attempted rape when the woman is able to escape by hurtling a chair through a glass door.
- Characters are burned alive, blown up with grenades and shot at. Actual corpses are rarely shown, although people are seen ducking down and cowering in fear.
- Multiple scenes of torture, including an elderly man beaten, a girl beaten and electrocuted with a crude homemade device, and girls covered in honey left near ants' nests to be bitten. The girls also have live snakes dropped down their tops to frighten them.
- The main character's mother has poor dental hygiene; her teeth are blackened and bloody, visible when she smiles, and as the film progresses, she appears to have lost most of them, either due to age or the unsanitary nature of poverty.
- Some derogatory remarks made in the historical context of the film, including at least one use of "gook", uses of "commie".
- Some sexual slurs, including "nuts" (testicles), "hooker", "whore", "the clap" (referring to an STD), and "fuck" (used in reference to sex).
- Several uses of the four letter word, b-tch, sh-t, -ss and others. At least 9 uses of the Lord's name in vain.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A woman sells cartons of cigarettes to American soldiers to earn money; she is found carrying marijuana and a bag of joints is seen, as well.
- Characters drink to excess; it is a common sight in this film to see characters in bars, holding full bottles of booze or getting drunk on glasses of booze. Wine is served at a dinner; the main character finds it tastes funny.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A character suffers stressful ordeals in America as her new in-laws make rude comments about gratitude, and a xenophobic woman gives her a dirty look at the grocery store.
- The main character has a vivid nightmare in which she is interrogated by soldiers; they toss her family out of a helicopter high up in the air, killing them one by one as they try to force her to talk. They pinch her face and hold her down.
- The scenes of rape are quite jarring and traumatic; at one point the victim has dirt tossed on her face after the men are finished with her; she is left in the pouring rain to die.
- A character suffers from mental health issues as he recalls that he tortured and killed many men; this includes a described disembowelment in which a man's liver was torn out and eaten while he was still alive.
- We see basically the downfall of Vietnam into the war and collapse that dominated much of the 1960's. Scenic lush green villages are reduced to mud and corpses due to the fighting and land destruction. Rice paddies are shown being destroyed with fire.
- A husband threatens his wife with a shotgun aimed at her head.
Sex & Nudity
- A man who committed suicide is seen in his truck fully naked for some reason (this is never explained) and slumped forward in the seat. The seat covers his buttocks and genitals, so only his upper thighs and bare upper torso are seen.
Violence & Gore
- A major supporting character commits suicide near the end of the film. While not hugely graphic in nature, the main character is deeply upset by the suicide.