Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993) Poster

Modern Technology vs Mother Nature.
kevinxirau11 February 2012
Toho was on a role bringing back some of their famous monsters to costar with Godzilla throughout the 90s. First King Ghidorah, then Mothra, and now not one but three classic characters: Baby Godzilla, Rodan, and, of course, Mechagodzilla. What results is a full on monster war!

Plot: By reverse-engineering futuristic technology from the remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah, the Japanese government creates what they believe is the ultimate anti-Godzilla weapon: Mechagodzilla! Meanwhile, scientists recover an egg from a Pteranodon nest only for the egg to hatch later and out comes Baby Godzilla, who sees one of the scientists as its mother. With this baby hatched, both Godzilla and Rodan are out to retrieve it as their own and Mechagodzilla is sent in to take them both out. Will Godzilla/Rodan succeed in their mission or will Baby Godzilla end up being orphaned?

The dilemma of this entire situation makes for a great story as loyalties and logics are pitted against each other between man and monster alike. It causes the viewer to choose sides and that makes this movie even more great. The action scenes are awesome as these monsters really beat the living crap out of each other and the surrounding environment gets torn apart by their very might. The suit designs and puppets are pretty good, particularly Baby Godzilla who's able to express certain emotions. The music is absolutely impressive, which complements how intense the action is and how emotional some of the interactions between characters is. Human characters are at least likable, from the scientists to Miki Saegusa, the psychic who empathizes Godzilla and his son.

My only complaint seems to be Mechagodzilla being a little too powerful like in his first movie. Other than that, this is one of the best and most iconic entries in the Godzilla series. It has everything you'd expect in a film like this: great action, wonderful music, character development, and, of course, lots of explosions. Definitely recommended that you check this flick out. All hail the King of the Monsters!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trashing the giant tin can
unbrokenmetal6 September 2003
Godzilla has a really busy time again: fighting the winged Radon, trashing a huge tin can named Mechagodzilla, and looking for his baby. The little monster is as cute as his predecessor in `Gojira No Mosuko', but better designed, with evil glowing red eyes. One novelty in the 90s Godzilla movies is the creation of a special group of experts called `G Force' who try not to let Godzilla wreck Japan as badly again as he did in the 60s. With little success, though - to sum it up, not one of the best movies of the series, but a good deal of chaos and destruction again. Voted 6/10.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Toho's BEST Godzilla film!
atc20 September 1998
The 1993 version of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla is one of the best "kaiju" (giant monster) films ever made and is an action-packed, exciting film in general. Full of great effects as well as drama and fun, this film delivers where other films of its type fall flat. For the price of admission, you get Godzilla, the updated version of Rodan, the new and improved MechaGodzilla and the introduction of Baby Godzilla. Not to be missed not only by Godzilla fans, but any serious science fiction/fantasy lover.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best of the Heisei Series
godzillapsycho14 February 2001
This is the best Godzilla movie since Destroy All Monsters. Mechagodzilla, Baby Godzilla and Rodan all look great; way better than their Showa series counterparts. Godzilla's look is a bit down from the last two movies, but he still looks great. The battle choreography and music is masterfully done, and even the human drama is well done! Kudos to Okawara and Mimura for making a truly great one.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reintroducing Great Monsters.
jerekra9 December 2008
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla is another Hesei Film that reintroduces some classic Godzilla Monsters. Overall it is a great action packed film with a great story as well.

A new weopon is created, Mechagodzilla, to battle Godzilla. Meanwhile a expedition to an island discovers a glowing egg. That night a giant flying reptile, Rodan, attacks the groups camp and goes after the egg. Godzilla appears and does battle with Rodan, and Rodan is killed. THe egg later hatches into a little Godzilla and attracts Godzilla towards Japan. Mechagodzilla is sent to do battle with Godzilla, but will it be able to stop him? This time Mechagodzilla is not the villain. Rather than being an instrument of destruction used by aliens to destroy Earth, Mechagodzilla is a machine created by humans to stop Godzilla. I like how Godzilla gets to be the bad guy and Mechagodzilla is the good guy. A sort of role reversal from the Showa Series to the Hesei Series.

Mechagodzilla has an impressive arsenal. Mega buster in his mouth, laser cannons in his eyes, rockets, electrical shock cables, and armor that absords Godzillas heat ray and uses it as a power source for a powerful energy beam. Wow. THis arsenal is amazing. Definitely one of the most powerful monsters ever in a Godzilla film.

Rodan gets to show up too, another great monster. Rodan however is the same size as he was in the showa series so unlike Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah who get larger in the Hesei Series, Rodan is the same size as he was so he is a bit smaller than Godzilla. I guess they wanted to portray him as a light fast monster. Rodan looks really cool in this film. HE gets a Pteranadon style face that looks evil. Eventually in this film he turns into Fire Rodan and gets to fire a uranium heat beam. So Rodan gets in a lot of good action and is a great addition to the film.

Also a baby godzilla is in this film. It is pretty cool and acts like a young dinosaur. Unlike Minya from the Showa Series this baby is not just a joke and it actually looks like Godzilla.

Monster action is in abundance. Lots of awesome energy weopons lighting up the screen. Loads of destruction. Nature vs Man. Nothing beats it.

THis is one of the best of the Hesei Series, along with Godzilla vs Biolante. Mechagodzilla and Rodan both are in it. Awesome. A must see.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Toho Monsters Rule!
OllieSuave-00726 November 2000
One of the top 10 grossing Godzilla films. Though no new monsters were introduced, this movie brought back Godzilla and updated versions of Rodan, Mechagodzilla and the Son of Godzilla. Rodan looks excellent and his action sequences were executed well. He's quicker and even gets to spit radioactive beams.

Instead of a space alien (referring back to 1974's Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla), Mechagodzilla is the ultimate weapon created by G-Force to defeat Godzilla. The Son of Godzilla returns as BabyGodzilla, looking more dinosaur-like and closely resembling Godzilla more.

It is notable that many past Godzilla movie actors appear in this movie. Actor Tadao Takashima (from 1962's King Kong vs. Godzilla) made a cameo appearance as Chief Hosono, director of the psychic institute. Actor Kenji Sahara (from 1956's Rodan) starred as Minister Segawa, director of the defense force. Actress Megumi Odaka returned as psychic Miki Saegusa, as well as Keiko Imanura and Sayaka Osawa (both appeared as the Cosmos in this film's prequel).

Miki befriended Godzilla and BabyGodzilla and told the commanders of G-Force to let the monsters be. However, she was forced to be among the crew in Mechagodzilla so she can use her psychic powers to locate Godzilla's secondary brain and destroy it. BabyGodzilla was used as bait to lure Godzilla to Tokyo. What follows are action-packed monster sequences - some of the best in the series.

This film has a plain plot, but the excessive scenes of the monsters and the colorful characters made this an enjoyable movie. You could see the interiors of the G-Force building and the psychic institute. Composer Akira Ifukube gave another spectacular music score, providing us one of his most memorable marches - the G-Force March. He used a lot of his music from 1964's Godzilla vs. Mothra and 1991's Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. When you watch his film closely, you could catch a brief scan of Tokyo Disneyland when Rodan flies over it (it is notable that Tokyo Disneyland opened in 1983 and this movie was released in 1993, marking 10 years of the theme park's anniversary).

With five monsters appearing (one of the most in a "Heisei" Godzilla movie), this movie is not to be missed by any Sci-Fi fans.

Grade A-
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What????????????
fcabanski25 December 2015
The movie earns 5 stars for the Godzilla fight action. There's a lot of good monster fighting.

The rest of the movie is crap. The plot is a mishmash: it's as if two or more people wrote two or more stories, then someone threw the pages up and collected them in a jumbled order.

Godzilla laid her egg in a Pteranodon nest. Rodon therefore thinks baby Godzilla is its brother or baby...or something. Huh? What? If Rodon and Godzilla are both trying to get back their baby (or brother or something), then what's the jeopardy? Why is baby in trouble? Just let the monster take the baby home.

Mecha G fires some kind of big beam from its belly. The beam is called a grenade. HUH? One of the central characters is a self proclaimed Pteranodon enthusiast. There are far too many scenes featuring him and his flying bike, his weird efforts to woo a girl, and his piloting of a failed Godzilla killing vehicle.

There's an American scientist who speaks lines as if he's reading them for the first time. By that I mean reading anything for the first time. He's even worse than the other actors in the movie.

Rodon, who was fighting Godzilla earlier, sacrifices its life to revive Godzilla's hip brain. Why? What? Huh? The Godzilla Buster weapon, designed to kill Godzilla's hip brain, is the same taser-like weapon that failed earlier in the movie. For some odd reason the anti Godzilla forces give it a special name when all they're doing is aiming it at a different spot on Godzilla. It would be like calling a gun a "Person Destroyer" if you aim at the hip.

Speaking of the harpoon electric wires, why can the harpoons penetrate Godzilla's hide? Nothing can stop Godzilla except big spears? Some plants sing a song that empowers baby Godzilla and Rodan. But despite the egg being covered by the plants, and apparently Godzilla's and Rodan's island covered with them, baby G and Rodan don't get empowered by the song until some weird psychic kids sing it.

Mechagodzilla is much better as an enemy controlled by evil villains than as a weapon people use to fight Godzilla. The original Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla are much better than this movie.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Godzilla, A Robotic Godzilla, A Pteranadon on Steroids, and a mini-Godzilla: How Could I Doze Off With All This?
japamo24 September 2013
Actually, I think I know why I dozed off during "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II" (hereafter GVMGII). I have never been a night owl. My concentration and attention span plummet after 9:00 p.m. Taking a chance, I watched GVMGII on Encore at 10:00 p.m. thinking that the standard Toho bizarre plot and monster encounters would keep me interested. No such luck. Off and on throughout the movie, I dozed off and probably missed some crucial plot points.

I stayed awake long enough to learn that the latest Mechagodzilla incarnation originated from a Japanese organization called G-Force (with a sleek United Nations-like logo) whose sole aim is to destroy Godzilla. It was certainly an impressive tower of steel - the Inspector Gadget of giant robots - with armaments and features guaranteed to bring the big lizard down. However, before the veteran foes meet, GVMGII begins with some scientists and explorers discovering two mammoth eggs on a desolate isle. One has already hatched into the colossal pteranodon Rodan (Radon in Japanese). Before Rodan can attack the human party, a radiation blast emerges from the ocean and nearly fries the flying reptile. Then Godzilla emerges and the two ancient enemies tussle. With this distraction, the scientists/explorers abscond with the other, unhatched egg and place it in a laboratory for analysis. It hatches, not into another Rodan, but inexplicably into a creepily cute miniature version of Godzilla, which imprints onto a female scientist, who takes to her mommy duties and calls the infant "Baby".

After that, I became sketchy on the details. I remember a bumbling pteranodon expert (with a pteranodon-shaped jet cycle) attempting to become a G-Force member. I remember learning that G-Force planned to paralyze Godzilla by shooting some type of electric harpoon into its "second brain" within its hips. I recall that in its first encounter, Mechagodzilla's atomic invulnerability, flight, and electrical powers have Godzilla on the ropes until the robot duplicate malfunctions and freezes and Godzilla just pushes it over. I recall Godzilla going down for the count from the electric harpoon until Rodan lies on top of him and scatters "monster pixie dust" to revive him. I remember G-Force using the frightened "Baby" as bait for - Godzilla and maybe Rodan, I guess. Finally, I remember "Baby" following foster father Godzilla into the ocean at the end.

After reading some of the GVMGII posts here, I learned that Rodan and Godzilla were fighting for "parental rights" for Baby. It seems confusing to me. Why would one egg hatch out Rodan, and the other a mini-Godzilla? Did Godzilla lay the second egg somehow? Also, it seems funny to me that Godzilla is impervious to just about every human weapon, including atomic, but can be pierced by a relatively simple harpoon like a whale. Also, for the record, no animal has a "second brain" in its hips. The "second brain" is actually known as a ganglion, which is a mass of nerves that coordinates movements of an animal's hind legs and tail. Also, is it a good idea to let "Baby" follow Godzilla into the deep? This is just what Japan needs - another future Godzilla waiting in the wings.

I'm not letting my tendency to doze off at night prejudice me against GVMGII. It's the usual Toho monster-fighting insanity and illogic leavened by an awesome robotic Godzilla counterpart plus a bit of family care and devotion.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Second Best of the Heisei Series!
gigan-9227 April 2009
One of the greatest G-films I've ever seen. "Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (II)" is definitely my second favorite of the Heisei era for a number of reasons. First off, the story line was incredibly done. I guess you could say it's fresh, but it does have elements from "Son of Godzilla", which I enjoyed. The human characters are well done and keep our interest throughout, delivering emotion and even appreciated bits of comedy. I also like how the story included Mecha-King Ghidorah, showing us there is still continuity here. It helped make MechaGodzilla more believable, where as that plant music has me dumbfounded, but I guess it has something to do with sonic waves, so it's logical to me.

The SFX were even better than the last films, even placing people next to MechaG in his docking bay. And the many fights, let me tell you, are extraordinary. Godzilla and Rodan's fight on Adona Island was the best in my opinion, even incorporating fight moves from older films into the mix. It didn't hold back either, with plenty of strangling and fierce body blows. Rodan looked great in this movie, looking more pterodactylish ( is that a word?), and I love his sonic boom attack.

MechaG looked great, and the mechanical monster delivering so many attacks it blew me away. Another thing I like is MechaG's confrontation with Rodan, which was a brutal fight not to miss. Garuda was a nice addition to the Japanese military, SuperMechaGodzilla looking impressive. Baby Godzilla actually looked except able, compared to Minilla, who looked OK ( a pushing it okay). Baby G just isn't here to look cute and I love his somber theme by Ifukbe. Godzilla is no doubt the star and he probably gets the most screen time than in any other Heisei film. Not to mention he looks incredible and I love his entrance at the beginning. I also like the how Rodan saves Godzilla from MechaG. It really gave the monster a personality of sorts and I enjoyed that. As far as the music, Akira Ifukbe delivers a masterful score, giving Rodan's terror theme and giving MechaG a new theme. Both sounded great, as well as the revamped JSDF march.

With a great story, incredible monsters and bad ass fights, with nice human characters as well, this G-film is one of my all-time favorites. If you haven't seen it, you better!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Godzilla's best Heisei movie PERIOD.
Neochriszilla4 April 2004
This is one of Godzilla's greatest movies EVER. This was supposed to be Godzilla's final movie and it would have been a heckuva finish to this series. Akira Ifukube's music is incredible and some of the best in his career. The SPFX are great and are some of Koichi Kawakita's best. the plot is great and is one of the best of the series. Notice how I'm using the word "best" a lot? Mechagodzilla, Rodan, Godzilla, and Baby Godzilla all look great and they look realistic as possible. This is by far Godzilla's BEST Heisei movie ever and is one of my personal favs. I love this movie and I give it a perfect 10 stars. if there is one other great Godzilla movie, it's Godzilla Vs. Gigan. Fans who love Godzilla will LOVE Godzilla VS. Mechagodzilla.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How come he didn't have his finger missiles?
Aaron137522 February 2004
This one was really good...I finally saw it after many missed chances. This Godzilla movie had more action than some of the other ones made in the 90's and it also had multiple battles as well. This special force has made a robot version of Godzilla to protect Japan from the real one. Complications arise as a giant flying dinosaur also appears as well as a strange egg. The flying dinosaur seems to be Rodan, but they call it Radon here. Maybe this is what it was meant to be called back in the days? The egg ends up being a baby Godzilla and scientist stupidly bring it into a city and of course not only does Godzilla come for it, but so does Radon. MechaGodzilla though pretty much tears Godzilla apart in their first meeting using its various weapons (I was disappointed when it did not have its finger missiles like the one from the earlier movies), unfortunately it malfunctions and it can not continue the fight. They devise a new plan that involves another ship to combine with MechaGodzilla to form a Super-MechaGodzilla. There is also a rather dumb point of Godzilla having two brains and apparently the second one is in his butt (no joke). All in all a really good Godzilla flick with just a couple of flaws. Lots of action as well.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test.
E102y23 May 2000
This is one of the best Heisei offerings from Toho. Whereas Gojira VS Mosura (1992) was mainly for the girls, this one's really for the boys. It's got mechas, kaiju and even a touch of gore. What's more, BabyGodzilla is a definite improvement of Minya. It's more dinosaurian than its 60's counterpart. I think this MechaGodzilla is much better than its 70's self. The Plasma Grenade weapon is much more devestating than those rotating missile fingers the original MechaG had. A nice return for Rodan, too. A lovely "guest" appearance from Mecha King Ghidora. And what of Gojira himself? I looove that new breath weapon of his courtesy of Rodan. I demand that Aoki guy be killed. And Miki Saegusa stands up for Gojira's rights, but who pushes the button to destroy Gojira's second brain in his spine? Hmm, let's see...
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes? What's that? Godzilla's attacking the city?
OMG! We have a little Godzillasaurus, and momma is coming for her baby, flattening everything in the way.

After Godzilla leaves empty handed, the G-Force is to use the baby inside their new Mechagodzilla to attract Godzilla and Radon.

I have to say that things have really gotten futuristic in the almost twenty years of Godzilla.

G-Force's new Mechagodzilla is clearly the eye-catcher in this film, and he is really well done. He can shoot great beams out of his mouth like his role model, and when he launches his rocket nozzles and takes off, then we rally get the testosterone raised as we would love to be the pilot of this giant beast.

This is definitely one of the most successful films of the Godzilla series.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Somebody's baby, Godzilla's maybe! "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II"
dee.reid9 July 2011
Takao Okawara's 1993 "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II" sounds like a job for Maury Povich and his legion of paternity-testers. Why, you ask? Because two of this film's four monster stars are locked in a bitter custody dispute over a child that they both claim is theirs. And this film marks the return of three classic giant Japanese monsters who haven't been seen since Godzilla's earlier first-generation Showa-Era adventures. And this movie is just so damn cute, in addition to being action-packed with breathtaking special effects and Akira Ifukube's thunderous music score. But, like I said, at its center, however, is the mother of all kaiju custody battles. This is one case I think Maury Povich would be very interested in playing the referee.

In 1992, immediately following the events of the horrendous time traveling adventure that was "Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah" (1991), the United Nations brings together the United States, Japan, and Russia to use the remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah to construct the ultimate in anti-Godzilla weaponry. Two years later, they come up with the cyborg-monster Mechagodzilla.

Now if you remember, kiddies, the last time Mechagodzilla appeared in a "Godzilla" film, was 1975's "Terror of Mechagodzilla" (direct sequel to 1974's "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla") and there it was the Big Guy's primary antagonist - constructed by evil ape-like aliens intent on planetary conquest. This U.N.-backed mechanical doppelganger, however, is on the side of good, and is more than powerful to take on two monsters at the same time, if need be. Admittedly, when comparing the two monsters to each other, this newer Mechagodzilla is considerably less powerful than its malevolent Showa-Era counterpart, yet this monster is still able to succeed in almost sending the Big Guy to his maker on at least one occasion in this film.

Meanwhile, on a small Pacific island, a band of Japanese and Russian explorers have discovered the remains of a prehistoric dinosaur nest and two eggs. One has already hatched, bringing to life the flying monster Pteranodon Rodan. Naturally, Rodan thinks that this other egg is his brother and he is determined to protect it all costs, when Godzilla shows up and also lays down claim to the egg. The explorers manage to get out of dodge with the prehistoric booty, while leaving Godzilla and Rodan behind to duke it out.

Back at their headquarters, the researchers led by Azusa Gojo (Ryoko Sano) try to crack this mystery open but before they can, out springs the cutest little baby Godzillasaur you could ever lay your eyes on. The baby monster, affectionately named "Baby" by Azusa and the others including her bumbling would-be boyfriend Kazuma Aoki (Masahiro Takashima) and psychic Miki Saegusa (beautiful Heisei series regular Megumi Odaka), comes to think of Azusa at its mother because she was the first thing the newborn Godzillasaur had laid its eyes upon its birth. Pretty soon, though, Godzilla comes looking for his child, and is more than willing to lay waste to all of Tokyo if that's what it takes for him to get what he wants. And soon the anti-Godzilla forces are out in full swing with Mechagodzilla (and Aoki's previous invention, the flying warship Garuda, which can combine with the cyborg to become Super-Mechagodzilla) ready to take on both Godzilla and a newly powered-up Fire Rodan (which now has many of the same powers as Godzilla including a heat ray).

"Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II" is a strange title for this movie since it is not technically a sequel to any of the films ("Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla" and "Terror of Mechagodzilla," remember) produced during the Showa Era. It is, instead, a follow-up to the previous film, "Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth" (1992). While I maintain that "Godzilla vs. Biollante" (1989) remains the towering achievement of the second-generation Heisei-Era films, "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II" is definitely one of the better films to come out during this time, and with good reason.

What makes this film so special, I think, is that it injects some much-needed "cuteness" into the kaiju-style proceedings, which is something that hasn't been done in a while. That cuteness, however, does not descend into needless kiddie territory (like the later Showa-Era films did, with Baby's ridiculous predecessor Minilla). "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II" maintains its deadly serious a**-kicking attitude, while still leaving a little bit of room for you to go, "Awww" at Baby. Because that is what Baby Godzilla gets out of you, even for those film critics who may not have been issued hearts at birth. And the film's ending still pulls at your heartstrings because Baby has become attached to his surrogate mother Azusa Gojo, and vice-versa, but they both know where he ultimately belongs - with his father - which will be good for both him and the rest of humanity, as a whole.

"Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II" is perhaps the most touching "Godzilla" creature feature to come out in a long while. It's not perfect, but it's special because it's able to maintain a strong sense of parental sentimentality without becoming the stuff of idiotic kids' fanfare; this is still strictly territory for adults. It also provides some stellar kaiju battles between two warring parental figures - Godzilla and Rodan - and the violent intervention of a third monster, Godzilla's cyborg doppelganger, Mechagodzilla. Master cinematic composer Akira Ifukube's score accentuates the hardcore monster-mash action, and is appropriately hard-hitting and tender and bittersweet at all the right moments.

Oh, and in the words of Maury Povich himself, "In the case of Baby Godzilla, Godzilla, you ARE... something like a father!" {Loud audience applause}

2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good monster movie with a plot
r-c-s14 November 2005
this is a good movie in its genre. it aims at a ticker plot by adding baby godzilla (i like this much better than minilla ), raised in a laboratory after his egg has been stolen from...fire rodan the flying dinosaur, who obviously thought it was his! Then of course you have both Godzilla and fire Rodan both wrestling each other (Rodan dies a dozen times ) and levelling Tokyo. Interesting, the Mechagodzilla angle is shown in the making, with a later twist when it combines with another flying vehicle... The acting is fair in its genre and the baby godzilla subplot is nice leaving a big "?" about what turned Godzilla into a blood thirsty villain, while the baby lizard is very friendly and innocuous. In the end the Mecha almost rips G's a$$ to shreds, only for Rodan to give his life for him (?), thus healing him at light speed, adding more power to his breath fire. A good movie you'd watch twice.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
definitely the best of the Hiesie, maybe even the best Godzilla Film of all Time
patrickkeastead7 April 2015
I can't put into words how much I love this movie. It might just be my favorite film, it's up there with Tokyo SOS, DESTORYAH, And FINAL WARS.

First off there's about 30 mins of Godzilla. He makes his first appearance early one and he gets A LOT of screen time.

Then there's Rodan who's gotten her best incarnation yet, and it will remain as my favorite version of her (or he?!).

Of course there's Mechs G, who in my opinion gets his best look. I like good guy Mecha G, but Kiryu was overdone to me. This is my favorite Mecha G.

The monster fights are amazing, the monster scenes are amazing, and the whole film is just awesome. By far one of if not the best of the Godzilla Films.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW
Gojira-1230 December 1999
This is the best of the new Heisei Godzilla series made. For one it features the return of many favorites including MechaGodzilla (bigger and badder than ever), Rodan (although he is called "Radon" which is his Japanese name) Baby Godzilla (who could kick Minya's @$$ in 5 seconds) and Godzilla (who who could kick the Tristar Godzilla's @$$ in about 1 second!). The story has characters that you care about, the effects are wonderful, the fight scenes are great, Rodan looks really cool as Fire Rodan, Garuda and MechaGodzilla are really awesome, and the dubbing matches 75% of the time! The story says that an egg, which hatches into a Baby Godzillasaur, is Godzilla's son. However, it was found in Rodan's nest so he thinks that it's his baby too. The UNGCC (United Nations Godzilla Countermeasures Center) takes Baby away for studying. Godzilla and Rodan go to Kyoto to find baby but instead find a huge battle with MechaGodzilla. Rodan is seriously injured and near death. Discovering Godzilla's 2nd brain, MechaGodzilla destroys it, paralyzing Godzilla. Then...you'll have to see it to find out what happens at the end. This a must for any true Godzilla nut like myself. Buy it, and you won't regret it at all!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
mother-daughter reunion
winner5515 November 2006
This film proves what I suspected all along - Godzilla is a female.

As the movie opens, Godzilla and her recently divorced mate Rodan are engaged in a rather ugly custody battle over the unhatched egg of their daughter, Baby. This fight is one of the most fun in the later Godzilla series, a real throw-back to the classic wrasslin' matches as King Kong vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Gigan.

Anyway, a group of human scientists (from Japan, the center of the universe in Godzilla films) offer Baby a foster-home in Kyoto. Tired of the shouting and fisticuffs between her parents, she accepts.

Godzilla knocks Rodan for a loop (not keeping up on his alimony, I suspect) and walks all over him (typical female); then, since she's not literate enough to write "Dear Abby", and not social enough to hire a lawyer (assuming one can call hiring a lawyer a "social" act), she wanders off the trailer-camp to search for her blood kin.

Meanwhile some loopy scientists build a big rubber-"love"doll for Rodan, but worried he might get angry and start spitting fire at them, they coat it with metal and diamonds.

However, when Rodan shows up, he's furious that the humans would try to foist this gaudy 'ho on him, and he's not at all happy with the foster home being made out of plastic model buildings, so he lights a doobie and smokes most of Kyoto with the fumes. Now we're really flying high! However, the Super-Godzilla "love"doll has some sex-toys rodan's never played with before, including a hunka plasma energy shot straight for the heart - Rodan looks down for the count, and Baby may just end up in a bawdy house, or, worse, a spinster in a convent. Who's gonna pay for her schoolin', after all? And who's gonna marry a red-eye reptile, for heaven's sake? Wait! - What's that big "thumpa thumpa thumpa" noise? Yes, it's Momma G., stompin' Tokyo - I mean, Kyoto - again; and she's mad! The gaudy "love"doll" drills Big G. with plasma-dildos up the rump, where she keeps her second brain (don't laugh! - everybody needs one), and it looks like Mecha-babe will rule! - but don't count out the old boyfriend yet! Yes, true love wins out: it's Rodan to the rescue - and I won't spill the rest of the sushi, but expect a very pretty mother-daughter reunion, while a choir of angels sings Japanese love songs in the background.

What? Monster movie? You never been in a New York State divorce court, huh?

The script is silly, the cast is in top form, the special effects are groovy - Rodan not only looks better in this film than he has in the old series, but better than his brief appearance in the later "Final Wars. The action is pretty snappy, and when it slows down, some comic relief is provided with both slapstick elements as well as real wit.

Great fun for this genre.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome Godzilla film!
Movie Nuttball1 February 2005
I am a huge Godzilla fan, I grew up with Godzilla, I just love seeing this awesome monster just destroy cities and fighting other monsters. I like his enemies as well but Godzilla is the Icon!

This Godzilla film is a great one. The story is very good and I really love the way Godzilla looks in this film. I love it when he roars and moves his tail. As for his enemy Mechagodzilla, he too is awesome and arguably looks neater than the other Mechagodzilla did in previous films. I love it when he roars. The fights between the two monsters is really good. The acting by the film's human stars are also good. The music is just excellent! I really love this Godzilla film for many reasons and its arguably the best! If you love Godzilla I strongly recommend that you do what I did and buy Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II today!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Big Guy gets a workout
RNMorton18 May 2005
After the initial Godzilla entry and King Kong versus Godzilla the Big Green One most often found himself in dreadful exploitation films (Destroy All Monsters excepted) until this 1993 battle royale. Somebody, I think the Sci Fi channel, has recently been running a selection of Godzilla movies without much judgment - avoid Godzilla versus Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon like death. Not so this nearly non-stop slugfest - the Big One is looking huge, healthy and mean when a group of scientists steal his egg and Dad comes looking. While it's hard to imagine Rodan as a lead monster, he certainly provides some solid ring work for Godzilla and humans alike (it's a little hard to get a read on exactly where Rodan's sympathy's lie). Our species checks in with a very challenging robot (Mechagodzilla) to take on the Green Guy, it even has a little squeak like the real one. Workable special effects with some impressive city destruction scenes, good acting as these things go, long periods of action, bearable subplots, some traditionally inane dialogue, all the elements align for a very enjoyable monster outing.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Classic Kaiju Films
drngor25 January 2001
Godzilla has made 23 films now. His movies have been fairly popular worldwide and his name is recognizable virtually everywhere. Although Godzilla wasn't the first kaiju (monster) to grace the big screen, he's been the epitome of staying power as far as screen creatures go. There have been dozens of giant monster movies made since Godzilla first appeared. This movie is one of the true classics of the genre, all nations considered.

The plot is simple: Godzilla attacks Japan when an egg carrying his offspring is taken by scientists. His appearance in Japan prompts the G-Force to battle him with MechaGodzilla, an supreme cyborg creation. Before long, buildings are being destroyed, tanks are crushed, and death rays are fired in an attempt for both sides to accomplish their goal. Although people may criticize the plot, it's simplicity prevents the film from developing unnecessary plot threads and subplots or lapses in logic.

The best part about this movie is the action and special FX. There's more than enough to go around. There are a total of 4 monster battles in this movie. Godzilla looks cool. Mechagodzilla is quite sleek and smooth in his new incarnation. Rodan, who makes is reappearance here, looks decent also. All three monsters have their beam weapons, which all look cool (esp. when Mechagodzilla and Godzilla have a "ray firing contest"). The matte work is also great, blending Godzilla in w/ citizens fleeing in terror.

The music is cool. I liked Garuda's theme, it was real catchy. There is also a choral theme that was pretty touching. The rest of the music is fitting as well (Ifukube brings back the theme that he used in Ghidrah and Monster Zero).

Overall, a highly entertaining entry in not only the Godzilla series, but the kaiju movie as a whole. Great action, special FX, music, and Megumi Odaka is as cute as can be.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kyoto Stomp!
Spikeopath27 March 2016
By 1993 the Heisei era of the Godzilla series was well in swing. Here production company Toho bring back Mechagodzilla, Rodan and sadly - they birth Baby Godzilla. Plot is nutty of course, top level government organisation want rid of Godzilla, so using various mechanics and creature science from previous Godzilla foes, construct a new Mechagodzilla, who is soon to be souped up to be Super Mechagodzilla. Carnage, telepathy, hidden brains and maternal instincts do follow.

It's actually one of the better films from the Heisei wave. Standard city destruction via model work is always good fun, but it's nice to find the effects work is of a much better standard than from previous instalments. The action sequences are smartly constructed by Takao Okawara, with the crowning smack-down between Zilla and Metalzilla absolutely joyous, a fun packed blend of cartoonish chaos and death ray destruction. Akira Ifukube once again provides an outstanding musical score, and while you will search long and hard for acting performances of note, it all just falls into place in the grand scheme of things.

Now if only we didn't have that goddamn Baby Godzilla! So cute! So annoying... 7/10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gojira VS Mekagojira (1993)
SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain13 December 2011
Not really a sequel to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. This is a sequel to the films in this series. Mecha-Ghidorah is raised from the sea by a newly appointed G-Force, a Japanese government agency designed to deal with Godzilla. They start to build Mechagodzilla, just as a mutant Pteranodon is discovered and her egg taken. Just so happens this is actually a baby Godzilla egg. I love the baby Godzilla in this film. Sure it looks strange, but it should. With its wide beady eyes and gormless smile. Rodan's flying scenes, and the battles, are yet a greater testament against CGI. These films do not seek perfection and they inspire the imagination. Films are truly trying to replace the imagination these days, rather than aid it. Watch a Godzilla movie to start your detox.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
maybe not the best but the most action packed Godzilla film
DrLenera15 May 2004
Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla is regarded by many as the best Godzilla film in the 'Heisei' series,and it's easy to see why,with it's non-stop action,revivals of three of the 'Showa' series monsters and huge amount of monster footage. No leisurely build up here-we are plunged almost immediately into the action,and it than never lets up apart from a brief slowing down in the middle.

This was Godzilla's 40th anniversary film,and so it is rife with scenes from Showa Godzilla films copied,including even certain shots-for instance,Godzilla attacking an oil refinary from the original Godzilla Vs Mothra,or Rodan knocking down Godzilla from Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster,there's a terrific knowingness to this film. The plot here is very simple but effective in it's simplicity,and Akira Ifikube's score is simply wonderful,his best ever for a Godzilla film,full of memorable themes and often amazingly poignant.

The film is let down a little by it's monsters-the new baby Godzilla is great and far better than 'Minya' from the 'Showa' series,but Rodan and Mechagodzilla look inferior to their predecessors. The fights are OK but the climactic one is somewhat static,and the film has a lot less visual imagination than the last three films. It's difficult to say if this is better than the previous two films,it lacks the wild and crazy story of Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah or the sense of wonder and eye candy of Godzilla vs Mothra,but if you just want monsters on the rampage and battling it out,this one delivers wonderfully,and most Godzilla fans want little more than that.
Great Fun!
Space_Mafune10 May 2003
The best thing about this film is its numerous all out, down and dirty giant monster battles with the likes of Fire Rodan, Godzilla and Super MechaGodzilla! These are pulled off with all the vast destructive impact fans would and should expect from the series.

However. Yes there is an however because this film at times also suffers from a serious case of the cutes especially involving the recently hatched Godzillasaurus. Also its message-driven ending comes across as particularly forced and reeks of cheesiness. Still all in all, this film remains great fun despite a poor ending.