Wind (1992) Poster

(I) (1992)

to yacht or not to yacht
humpback15 July 2000
One thing is for certain - you will either hate this film, especially if you can't stand the sea, boats and wind, or, if you like any of these, especially if you like _all_ of them, you will love it. Admittedly it has a simple, proven plot, gives short shrift to the history of the America's Cup and features a rather non-describt cast - but the film does have superior and imaginative cinematography, impeccable editing and a marvelous soundtrack, as well as a slow, but steady build-up of drama. To my knowledge there is no other film that even comes as close as this movie to capture the feeling, tension and athmosphere of offshore competitive racing. It deals with an unconventional, off-beat setting and theme - go, see/rent/buy it if you can stand that.............
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The quintessential yacht racing movie
jerelull14 January 2006
As a long-time sailor and racer, I admit that most consider a sailboat race like watching the grass grow, but they've done a great job of producing exciting racing scenes, while having so few technical inaccuracies that the most avid of us keep rewinding to review and debate. Take good note of the early dinghy racing scenes. I don't believe they used any trick photography: things really can happen that fast.

Of course, there's a larger set of stories, the classic love stories: between men and women, of sailing, of ideas, of ideals; the rough retelling of the Dennis Connor story (though I place Robertson/Weld as Connor, not Modine/Parker); an accurate representation of the "Old Boys'" network that *is* big-money yacht racing --I've met "Abigail Weld" many times; and the "absurdity" of a desert-based effort winning the Cup, a nod to the Melges' campaign.

The photography is astounding, the character development (the reason for the film's length) good, and the music complimented everything admirably.

That it's "about" sailing will turn many off, but those of us with a love of the sea and sailing hold this as a classic to be cherished.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For sailing enthusiasts.
vertigo_1411 April 2004
Wind is a great look at the sport of competitive sailing and also contains a bit of insight into mechanical engineering and the process of design and development.

Matthew Modine is Will Parker, a good sailor who is slightly overconfident about his skills. He joins the crew for the America Cup, but his actions help to lose the nation's undefeated title to their tough Australian rivals. This was more than just a loss of the cup to the new world champions, but it also ended his relationship with girlfriend Kate Bass (Jennifer Grey) and sent the boat captain into a bout of depression.

But, Will Parker, with the next Cup race rolling around, Will Parker wants to reunite a team, and seeks the help of Kate and her new beau Joe (Stellan Skarsgård) to help him rebuild his confidence, his team, and a better boat. Will and his team challenge the Aussie's to defend their title for a second year.

Indeed, as another viewer wrote, the movie is rather long. But, the subject of the movie is really something different, and the photography is just beautiful as you get the first-person perspective of competitive sailing, and it really gives an appreciation of what all goes into the sport, even the traditions. Modine's character is a little annoying because he sometimes obnoxiously boasts his masculinity to Kate as though trying to show up her new boyfriend, Joe. It's worth catching if you can find it around.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A thriller for sailing lovers
Loubet10 August 1998
It's a great movie for those who like and enjoy sailing. The nautical vocabulary is used but there's nothing too complicated about it. It's filled with beautiful images of sailing boats and of the America's Cup. Check on it and I doubt you'll regret.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderfully filmed, beautifully scored.
gary-stedman31 May 2003
When I first saw this film a few years ago I was totally amazed, what happened to it upon release? Granted, here in the UK I do not know if it ever got a cinema run, but until it appeared on one of the satellite channels I'd never even heard of it. What a waste!

The film does a excellent job of dramatizing a sport that on first appearances to the layman will probably appear boring. A fine balance has to be drawn between exposition and drama, and I believe Wind achieves this admirably. This supported by the many friends who have seen this film upon my recommendation, most with no interest in sailing at all.

The two leads are fine, the Aussie skipper is good fun as a typical Aussie! The only bad call is the Abigall Weld character - rapidly becomes annoying and unrealistic.

Where the film scores even better is the superb camera work during the racing sequences, in particular the aerial shots - quite breathtaking. No review would be complete without mentioning the films score - quite simply some of the most uplifting and beautiful music I have ever heard.

Wonderful film, highly recommended.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Beautiful And Engrossing Movie
rnutter20 November 1998
This is one of the movies I never tire of seeing again. Beautiful sailing scenes, but you don't have to know anything about sailing to appreciate it. The cast did an earnest and excellent job. It must have been a labor of love to make. Don't miss it.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cinematography was superb! Action and beauty...
cghowell27 January 2003
When's it coming on DVD? I want widescreen and surround sound to really enjoy this movie at its best. You don't have to be a sailing enthusiast to get caught up in the passion of sailing and The America's Cup. Every time I watch this film I am reminded of the splendor of time spent on the water.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great score
cps1976 November 1999
This is a great movie for people into sailing. Has some really spectacular shots. Has the best racing shots I have ever seen. The best thing about the whole movie is the score by BASIL POLEDOURIS. He has done it again another masterpiece.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Beautiful
TedMichaelMor7 August 2009
Cinematographay, superb editing, and a first class sound track make this film. The light in Australia and Newport, aerial shots, even computer graphics (in news scenes), long framing shots, camera movement, medium and close shots on board the boats, and excellent narrative editing thrill the eye and our love of story.

Contrast between the ocean and the desert where designer and builders construct the American challenger boat bring a delightful balance to the iconography.

Preppie clothing and elegant on land settings let us pretend ourselves into a special and exclusive world. With all this, the actors play their hand in the melodrama with just the right pitch. I enjoyed the movie. Well worth watching again.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Sailor's Classic
bensails8 September 2004
The film student in me appreciates this movie, the sailor in me loves it. A classic among the sailing community, it is beautifully shot, and tells a convincing fable about the costs of blind ambition and the value of redemption. The main

character, Will Parker, is loosely based on Dennis Connor and his performance at the 1983 and 1987 America's Cups. One of the few movies about sailboat

racing, does turn heavy-handed at some points, but overall is an appreciable, tightly made film with high production values. I would recommend it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Somewhat enjoyable, but kinda cheesy
RSatanek89 May 2010
While the sailing sequences were enjoyable to watch and well filmed, the rest of the movie was somewhat of a disappointment. It had some really good scenes and some exciting racing sequences, but the acting and dialog was pretty cheesy and poor outside of that, and the 'love story' aspect of the movie detracted from the rest of the film. There were a few plot points that weren't portrayed very well. As an engineer, I found some of the design scenes a bit amusing.

Bottom line, if you like sailing or the America's cup, you'll probably find parts of this movie enjoyable, and other parts a bit cheesy, over the top, or poorly acted. I would say that the sailing sequences are fun enough to watch that this movie is worth watching once for sailing buffs, and possibly someone interested in the sport.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully made if over-acted sailing epic
Monty-3512 January 1999
Under anyone else's direction, "Wind" would be mediocre at best. Caroll Ballard of "Never Cry Wolf" helmed this fictional tale of the race for the America's Cup, and it shows. The level of acting is mixed: Modine is wooden, but the supporting cast doesn't get the exposure it deserves, especially Skarsgard. The plot is somewhat sports-movie predictable, and the characters are, for the most part, poorly executed, though most blame for that probably belongs to the dreadfully scripted dialogue. The movie's real strength is in its stunningly beautiful cinematography, full of seemingly impossible camera angles, well-crafted scene composition, and wonderful use of color and shadows; in places, it is as visually appealing as "2001". Ballard's direction is superb, and Poleodorus' score matches the camera work in excellence. Non-sailors will enjoy this film, and will be able to follow the intricacies of high-level yacht racing. Sailors will drool over this glorification of sailing's beauty.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strangely entrancing
jantoniou29 October 2008
My father and I would stay up late to watch Dennis Conner win the America's Cup back from the Aussies in 1987 on ESPN. From that time on I became hooked on the sport of Yachting.

Perhaps for that reason I have always been drawn to "Wind." Like others it happens to be one of those movies that I enjoy watching over and over if it happens to be on television.

Yes, the plot is a bit formulaic and predictable, the acting not always sterling, but the film has very strong characterization and amazing cinematography, especially in the middle second act which I think is actually stronger than the very good sailing scenes.

There is an atmospheric and entrancing quality to these desert scenes, a kind of sleepy seduction to the sweep of the shots and the austerity of the environment. I always find it powerfully persuasive in its understated beauty and relaxed pacing.

This film may mark the end of Matthew Modine's arc as an '80s acting icon--"Cutthroat Island" perhaps being the more likely candidate--though he has consistently stayed employed. He always seemed an odd fit as a leading man but I enjoy him in the occasional character acting he now does. He is stronger in this role than he's given credit for, carrying several scenes well.

Cliff Robertson doesn't entirely phone this one in - the scenes where he has gone around the bend after losing the Cup are funny and well acted.

Taken on the strengths of the amazing cinematography, a nicely paced and composed, if predictable, plot, and fine acting make "Wind" easy to recommend.

But you best like movies about sailing.
Exhilarating, Holds Viewer Attention
reblit29 March 2005
Matthew Modine as Will Parker and Jennifer Grey as Kate Bass do a great job in this movie. Jennifer is tan, athletic, and a beautiful tomboy sailor. Matthew Modine appears to fit right in with the ivy-league "good old boys", but in the end chooses his teammates more wisely! "WIND" has some interesting characters and the interactions between characters is interesting. The movie holds the viewer's attention until the end. The scenery is beautiful, the ocean scenes breathtaking and the film quality and colors are rich. The wind catching the sails and hitting Will's and Kate's faces makes the viewer feel like he or she is right there beside them. "WIND" is a "feel good" movie, that makes the viewer feel like a winner when the credits run!
A real sleeper, have enjoyed it 3 times over 3 years
grizzybj11 August 2003
I highly recommend this movie. It is a love story that brings in action and is very inspiring. Both Matthew Modine and Jennifer Grey are believable in their parts, and you want them to succeed together. I rent this movie every year, and I enjoy it each time I see it.
Force of wind
mario-463 November 1999
In Spain this movie was titled "La fuerza del viento" (Force of wind), and I prefer. Impressive quote was the one between Parker and his skipper's daughter; he explains her how to win, how to find the oneself's wind in life. Later, he speaks about Geronimo, the red skin man that fought until the end in the defense of his own ideals. In the America's Cup Challenge aboard Geronimo, Parker will win beside his old girl friend, winning her again.
Very good sailing movie
Jakeroo6 November 1998
Nice little love story (isn't Jennifer Grey terrific?) and we learn a bunch about yachting. I found it very interesting and entertaining.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see movie for sailing enthusiasts
jdb1999-0-22550313 May 2014
I have watched the movie "Wind" 25x. It is the only movie over 2 hours I have ever sat through without saying a single word. I started sailing 40 years ago at 6 years old. "Wind" captures the grace and beauty of sailing , the traditions in the "America Cup", the serious competitive nature of professional sailors. Matthew Modine & Jennifer Grey had a fun chemistry, evident intelligence which came through in their acting, Rebecca Miller was a lovable flake as the heiress. I can't say enough good things about this movie and wish more had seen it. I don't know if re-releasing it now would make it do better at the box office. Sadly, Francis Ford Coppola's contributions seem barely known. The recreation of the small margins then defined victory vs defeat were portrayed with great accuracy to the original race.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Auteurial flourishes elevate generic plot
tieman6429 December 2010
This is a review of "Fly Away Home" and "Wind", two films by Carroll Ballard.

Loosely speaking, Ballard makes two types of films. Those in which humans tentatively interact with "wild" animals, and those in which man interacts with nature via technology inspired by the natural world. In the first category Ballard's made fare like "The Black Stallion" and "Duma", in the second he's made films like "Wind" and "Fly Away Home".

Arguable one of his best films, "Fly Away Home" is about a daughter and father who build an ultralight air-plane that mimics the behaviour of, and acts as a surrogate mother for, a flock of geese. Using the plane, the duo guide the birds to a sanctuary several hundred miles away. It's a touching picture, filled with beautiful scenery, gorgeous aerial footage, sensitive direction and some wonderfully understated acting by Jeff Daniels Anna Paquin.

Though his financiers force formulaic plots upon him, Ballard dislikes heavy-handed storytelling, and so tends to keep his characters quiet and muted. With his ethereal visuals, use of silence and love for wind/nature, "Fly Away Home" strongly conjures up the work of Malick and Miyazaki.

The film has flaws: some of its rear projection is intrusive, some of its conflicts are a bit clichéd, some of its villains are cartoonish, and aside from the opening and closing song, Ballard's musical score isn't strong enough for such a poetic picture. Still, these flaws are minor and don't intrude on the film's better qualities.

While "Fly Away Home" involves an inventor building an air-plane, "Wind" involves a group of mechanical engineers designing a boat. Sounds boring? Both films are more interested in mood and ambiance than they are plot. In "Wind", the design team relocate to a huge hanger at the centre of a vast desert, a world away from the oceans they hope to conquer. We watch as they sculpt away at their boat, Ballard salivating over sleek hulls, tall masts and mighty rudders. Muscles, skeletons, animals, rocks, wind and water are studied and observed, the boat a failure if its body doesn't bend to the will of the waves.

Both films deal with men and machines waltzing with nature; our ultralight air-plane is only believable to the geese if they perceive it to be their biological mother, and Ballard's boats fail if they don't slice cleanly through the winds and waves. To resist nature is to compromise the design.

Both films were also mildly influential in how they added to our camera vocabulary. "Fly Away Home" gave us some then new three-dimensional camera sweeps and "Wind" offered several cinematic baby steps as well, using specially designed camera mounts for both helicopters and boat hulls, masts etc.

"Fly Away Home" is the better of the two films - it's one of the best "family" films of the 1990s - whilst "Wind" is plagued by a bad script, though it does also offer excellent mood and ambiance. You sense that Ballard wants to avoid conventional Hollywood scripts as much as possible, but that they're necessary to provide some semblance of either structure or marketability.

"Fly Away Home" – 8.5/10

"Wind" – 8/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uplifting come from behind drama.
scootwhoman19 January 2008
This is an amazingly well crafted film, which captures the excitement, danger, and intelligence involved in racing big sailboats, while being a warmly human, sad romance. I have found it to be the most uplifting film I think that I have ever seen, without being cheesy, forced, or artificial. I was lucky enough to see live footage taken from on the boats during the America's Cup races held off of Melbourne following Australia winning the Cup, and this movie recreates the immediacy of those broadcasts. Wonderful editing, rich sound, and skillful boat handling combine to dispel the sense of disbelief entirely.

The characters are developed well, and have depth and substance, which adds to the power of the film to engage. One does not need to know anything about sailing to get swept up in this film, but those who do will appreciate the accuracy with which the film was made.
Obscure film about America's Cup Race
jehaccess616 January 2008
This film attracted me because of the plot involving the America's Cup race. I don't remember the film ever being shown in the cinema during the 1992 release period. I suppose that the film didn't succeed in first run or in video release either.

Still, after viewing the film it has several good points. The photography is breathtakingly good in the racing scenes. I never grasped how difficult, dangerous, and physically demanding such racing actually is. Normal coverage of the racing is kept at such a distance to avoid influencing the race outcome that most all the intriguing details never reach the lay audience. The film was able to bore in to close range to allow us to see much of what the crew must accomplish to win a race. The physical demands are immense, the crew must be in superb physical and mental condition to have a competitive race entry.

The score by Basil Poledoris is just superb. I got hooked on his music after watching 'Red Dawn'. I re-watched 'Wind' just to concentrate on the score. It is amazing how well his music enhances and complements the action on the screen. He can take a so-so portion of the film and turn it into a superb experience. The man is an authentic musical genius!

The actors in the film are more of a mixed bag. Matthew Modine, portraying the character 'Will Parker', has this unbelievable blow-dry hair style that is ludicrous for a man in this film. It is obviously retouched after every scene to keep every strand in place. Those scenes where he wears a hat work for me, the rest comes across as farce. The plot has 'Will Parker' as such a wuss that he is willing to dump the woman he loves and follow life-threatening orders to keep his position in the crew of the ship defending the cup.

Jennifer Grey has a more believable role as 'Kate Bass'. She is drawn to 'Will Parker' and willing to sacrifice her dreams to help him fulfill his greatest goals. Jennifer was very convincing in this role. She was tanned and obviously very athletic. She let her hair take its natural course on the boat. It was much more convincing than her pretty-boy love interest. 'Kate Bass' pours her heart and soul into the effort to defend the cup, only to run afoul of the 'old-boy network' and be ejected from the team.

A smarter man than 'Will Parker' would have stood by his woman and left with her. Her input was vital for the crew and without her, their effort to defend the cup falls short. At least he figures out how to get back on track after moping around in depression for several months.

Cliff Robertson phoned in his lines in this film. He obviously had little emotional involvement in providing a good performance. The other supporting actors contributed little to the film. The director obviously fell down in allowing such minimal performances to see the light of day.

We get to see some background in the design of a competitive entry in the race. The film briefly touches on this process. In reality, massive computer power and extensive testing of scale models in water tanks are necessary for success. A tiny percentage decrease in drag can lead to a winning entry. Of course, such advances become harder and harder as designs become ever more refined over the years. The sails are one area where significant advances in performance are still possible. The film illustrates how aerodynamic principles can be applied to sail design.

Finally, I noted that the crew assembled to sail the new boat were also superb artisans able to build the new design effortlessly. They could do metal work for the beams and ribs as well as lay up the carbon fiber for the hull. The paint scheme for the hull and sails was also first-rate artistically. In reality, skilled professionals and massive production facilities are needed to build a competitive entry. Perhaps I should refrain from such detailed analysis of the details and just enjoy the film.
Great sailing movie
Nixaandehand23 December 2004
It's as far as i know the only movie about regatta sailing, which makes it automatically the best available. I love it, the sailing sequences make you feel as if you're on board yourself. The film does a good attempt to make you experience the excitement felt on the water. To illustrate: i was totally sucked into the regatta sequence and caught myself shouting directions and boo-ing people at a certain point. All other story-filling and plot is not that bad, it gives the movie an acceptable background and a good excuse to show the excitement and hard work which makes "the art of sailing" so great. The best reason to go and watch it? obvious, the sailing, so for non-sailors it's probably less interesting but still nice. I loved it the first time i saw it in 1995 in a regatta weekend, and i still love it after seeing it again today. (funny note: I think there is functional nudity implemented in the movie; half-naked cheering Australian women at the introduction of Geronimo @ the cup, just before the crew's tribal dance).
A private meaning
hagen-131 August 2000
It's a real great movie about sailing and what a man does for a dream. The dream to win the "Cup" for the price to lose his true love. And a film about sporting fairness and team spirit mixed with great and exiting pictures bringing a fantastic atmosphere to you.
Heart and Soul Excitement, Timeless Messages
Daniel_Fattibene25 February 2018
After reading over 200 reviews of "Wind", most of which praise it to the stars and rave and rave on, there is little I can add to such comments as "stirs the soul", "takes your breath away", "one of the best movies of all time", "should be on the shelf of every family with children", and "should be required viewing for young people and anyone bored with life".

This film, one of the best examples of director Carroll Ballard's magic, will knock your socks off and blow you away with its excitement but realism (you will hear and feel the boats groaning and keening with the wind stresses!), and GREAT MESSAGES - It is about losing everything, and winning it all back again through individual and team angst and sheer will (I have shown parts of it to my science students not just for the physics of sailing, but for these timeless messages). Sailor or not, no matter how many times you watch it, it leaves you glowing for hours.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
functional sports movie
SnoopyStyle6 July 2017
Will Parker (Matthew Modine) joins Morgan Weld (Cliff Robertson)'s prestigious sailing team with his girlfriend Kate Bass (Jennifer Grey)'s encouragement. Kate is a sailor studying aeronautics. Will asks her to join only to be pressured to cut her. Australia breaks America's winning streak and beats Parker's team. Defeated, he finds Kate working with eccentric designer Joe Heiser (Stellan Skarsgård). Despite her reservations, the two men work to win back the America's Cup. Will finds Morgan has gone mad but recruits an eager supporter in Morgan's daughter Abigail.

The sailing is kinetic. The tactics are reasonably explained. It adapted some of the actual America's Cup incidents. It's a functional sports movie. There is a romantic backdrop but it does not take full advantage. It could have been a romantic triangle or even a quadrangle. The acting is solid. With the energetic sailing scenes, this has its memorable moments.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.