Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992) Poster

Severely under-rated prequel to one of the best TV series ever
mstomaso16 October 2004
By the time this film was released, critics and TV audiences had already decided its decidedly mediocre box-office fate. The usual network attitude toward anything which demands thought and interpretation assured the cancellation of the series in its second season, and Lynch's departure from the show's director's chair to begin this film project all but sealed the fate of the show. Unfortunately, this same fate determined both the critical and public approach to the film project.

TP:FWWM is a prequel to the two-season Twin Peaks saga, and (sort of) answers the question 'how and why did Laura Palmer die?'. Fans of the show mostly knew the answers before they saw this film, but to see Laura's life so vividly realized, and to see the TV characters cast into such a different, more harsh, surreal and disturbing light, really invigorates the entire TP phenomenon. FWWM actually inspired me to watch the entire series again (and as of 2004, I am in the process of watching it again). Fans of the series who found themselves disappointed by the final few episodes of the series because they felt it became too bizarre, are likely to find this film more gripping, though they will probably end up as unsatisfied as they were at the onset. Those who found the second season thrillingly experimental are likely to be surprised by the subtlety of and dramatic quality of this film. Those, like me, who approach the film with few tangible expectations might just find themselves, compelled, disturbed, and very entertained.

The performances are generally very good, but not entirely even. Some TV cast-members, given the vastly expanded possibilities of cinema, really showed their range and depth. Sheryl Lee, MacLachlan, Dana Ashbrook, and Ray Wise were especially impressive. The cinematography is less powerful than the usual Lynchian vision (see Eraserhead, Lost Highway for extreme examples), and is more in keeping with the TV show's straightforward, but moody, photographic approach. The overall production values are, in fact, comparable to those of Mulholland Drive - also originally planned by Lynch as a TV show. Though more subtle than many of Lynch's more extravagant works, TP:FWWM is very successfully manipulative and powerful.

I ardently appreciate Lynch, considering him one of cinema and performance's greatest contemporary artists. And I am unashamed to state that I believe this to be among his finest works. Many of Lynch's fans love to write interpretations of Lynch himself, as if all of his films are in some way connected beyond the obvious fact that he directed (and more often than not scripted) them. I do not disagree with this approach, but, in my opinion, any such universalizing comments more or less miss the point. Lynch is one of many director's who view film as an art form, not as a craft, nor as a vehicle for specific messages and stories. As Lynch has stated, repeatedly, his films involve a dream-like reality and often attempt to invoke a dream or nightmare state in viewers. Unlike most, however, Lynch succeeds in the purity of his art. His films demand interpretation, engagement and, what's more, demand a different and unique interpretation by most who view them.

If you are looking for something which can be universally interpreted from TP:FWWM as part of this imagined set of Lynchian themes, I am not the reviewer to give it, look elsewhere. I have too much respect for Lynch's artistry to subject him to my own interpretive explanations.

If you are looking for a simple story which will clear up the insanity of Twin Peaks, don't bother with FWWM.

If you are looking, open-mindedly, for an intense, disturbing, and well constructed cinematic experience which creates more questions than it answers, and retains elements of mystery in a fatalistically driven plot environment, you've come to the right place.
192 out of 241 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
reflections on the film
mfb13812 March 2002
WARNING SPOILERS!!

Well I've just gotten the FWWM DVD and am finally able to appreciate the film as it was intended to be seen and heard (or at least as close as possible outside of a theatre). It's unbelievable, and after watching it a few times I was finally able to understand for myself what Lynch was doing here, and he's right; intuition is the key; just pay close attention to what you are seeing and your mind will intuit the rest. In fact, understanding this film was a truly exciting thing for me. What Lynch is actually doing here is thrilling. As much as Lynch would (and myself as well, but...) hate to hear someone give what they consider a definitive explanation for the film, I thought I would give some ideas about some of the most interesting moments. Any interpretation is viable, of course, but this is how I look at it.

First, the prologue: To understand the prologue one must understand something about the nature of the evil in this film. I see the denizens of the Black Lodge as the physical embodiment of the subconscious. That's what the Red Room is to me, the deepest levels of the subconscious, where there is an understanding going on that rational thought won't allow. For example, Laura doesn't want to think that Bob is really her father, but deep down she knows (or comes to know in the film). But Bob is really just the evil that men do, the darkest side of humanity, and he can be inside of anybody. Since Bob is just a personification of this idea and doesn't literally exist, he really can't be caught, because eradicating Bob (and the other members of the Black Lodge) would be eradicating all the pain and suffering in this world, and that will never happen.

In the prologue, Chet Desmond and Sam Stanley come across perhaps the most unhelpful town on the planet. Much has been made of how this place is purposefully the opposite of Twin Peaks, but I don't think that's the point. The unhelpfulness is the result of the town knowing that no matter how many FBI agents are brought in, you can't get rid of what killed Theresa Banks; you can't get rid of violence. They treat the two with disdain because they realize the fruitlessness of their search. Lynch emphasizes the strict use of code (Lil) and constantly has characters asking what time it is to give an air of precision, but nothing gets accomplished. The electricity reference is simply marking the presence of something bad in the area. So, a lot of investigation occurs with nothing being accomplished. Theresa Banks is dead and will remain so.

Perhaps the most obscure point in the film is the sequence with David Bowie. To make this short, Cooper's image freezes in the security camera because the members of the Black Lodge have stopped time for a second, also apparently causing a rip in whatever fabric divides this world and the Lodge. This allows Jeffries to breifly crossover, apparently while the members of the Lodge are having a meeting. This bizarre meeting with the grandson, Bob, etc. is happening at the same time Jeffries appears in FBI headquarters. He says it in voiceover: "I've been to one of their meetings". The meeting is to choose another victim. The Man from Another Place is telling Bob to get more Garmonbozia (pain and suffering, which takes the form of creamed corn) for him. "With this ring, I thee wed", he says, talking about Laura. "Fell a victim", says the grandson, also talking about her. The man in the chair with the beard makes a bizarre hand motion, as if saying "and so it shall be done". Bob and The Man from Another Place are shown walking through the Red Room, on their way out after the meeting, to go get Laura. The meeting over, the rip closes, and Jeffries goes back to the Lodge. Keep in mind however that none of this is really literal, although you have to talk about it that way in the context of the scene. It's the film's way of saying that something bad is happening again, someone else is going to be the victim of violence. The monkey underneath the mask is sort of like a fetus, or like a birth. They've given birth to this evil which will grow and grow and grow until Laura is murdered, and the garmonbozia is given to The Man from Another Place. After this, the murderous thirst is quenched, and the monkey reappears, indicating that things are once again calm but will once again grow (this happens at the end of the film). And of course in the series, Madeline dies.

Some quicker explanations: Laura talking to Harold, saying "Fire Walk with Me, ME!!" is her talking about her temptation to degrade herself. "He says he wants to be me or he'll kill me". This is Lynch telling us in an incredibly unique way that the abuse she's had from her father is turning into self abuse.

The old lady and the grandson are like the gatekeepers of the Black Lodge, allowing one to enter and exit. In the literal world, they are Laura's very first inclinations that Bob may be her father. The picture is just saying that she needs to go into her subconscious to find the answer, which she does that night. "Don't take the ring", says Cooper (meaning don't be another victim; do something about your situation). After Annie appears, Laura walks toward her door. On the soundtrack you can hear her mom calling Laura, which references the morning after she was murdered and her mom couldn't find her. She looks out at the stairs; in about two days, her mom will come up these stairs to find Luara missing. She is also in the picture looking out the door, meaning she has exited the Black Lodge, or her deepest subconscious, and is back in the rational world, almost. This is her first realization that things might get really bad soon.

Anyway, just some observations, but I'm probably running out of words, so I'll stop now.
81 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
!kcoR s'teL
symbioticpsychotic1 October 2005
There's no doubt about it, Twin Peaks changed the living, breathing face and body of television, the soul and minds of those who watched it, and the attitudes of film and television makers everywhere, who watched what was intended to be a 2 hour Tele-movie become a phenomenon. A phenomenon that dissected the way television was made and shown to its very core, and reassembled it in a fashion that no one had ever witnessed, or dreamed of. A phenomenon that would sweep the world… Not since JR was shot in Dallas had the entire worldwide viewing public stopped to ask itself a question, for one brief, shining, crystallized moment, in 1990… Who Killed Laura Palmer? And so, with David Lynch's Fire Walk With Me, the question is not Who? But rather, Why? This film precedes the TV show, these are the last 7 days of Laura Palmer, and after watching this film, it is pretty apparent why Laura wanted to die, she lived in a world out of her grasp and control, she was desperately fighting what she was becoming, but realized that the forces that were pulling her down, were too strong for her to fight against… I knew someone like that once, and to be quite honest, it has changed the way I look at Laura Palmer. The first time I watched this film was in 1992 when it came out on VHS, I was 16 or 17 and I hated it. It wasn't Twin Peaks. It was horrible and violent and had none of the cuteness and quirkiness and lovable characters of the TV show, and I never watched it again. Watching it almost 15 years on, as an adult, I understand why I hated it so much when I was a kid. As a 16-17 year male, I had absolutely no concept or understanding of what it would be like to be Laura Palmer, completely unable to relate to her, and therefore completely unable to understand or sympathize. Completely unable to understand what it would mean to live in a world where everyone is in love with you, and how that would only make you hate yourself more, when you hate yourself so much already.

This is a really sad movie. It really puts you in to Laura Palmer's world, or what's left of it, briefly. Maybe too brief, but, you know, maybe I read too much in to films, or I get too close too them, but this film has changed Twin Peaks for me forever. And it's quite possible that it will do the same for you. Even though she was dead before the opening credits, I never realized until watching this film again that Laura was never freed, she was always in 'purgatory' if you will, always in the Red Room when we saw her, or seeing a flashback of her murder during the course of the TV show. Fire Walk With Me gives something to Laura Palmer that she had been denied on television.

Release.

For the most part, this film was not made for the fans, nor was it made for the money, Lynch made this film for Laura palmer. His love of her is what inspired him to breathe life into her character on the big screen, after taking it away on the small. This is his dance, first and final, with Laura Palmer. It is not ours to be involved with, it is ours only to watch the romance between character and director evolve and be burnt too soon. It is ours only to witness, not too understand or judge, not to ask or question.

From the opening shot, a television with no reception, which is quickly obliterated by an Axe, it is quite clear that this ain't no TV show, and if the symbolism of the TV being smashed isn't enough to tell you that, then the opening scene will. This is the part of Twin Peaks that simply never would have made it to TV. The real Twin Peaks, if you will, the dark, tortured, seedy underbelly of a town with too few people, and too many secrets, the sort of place that exists almost everywhere in the world (with the exception of Cicely, Alaska).
85 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Enigma Of Laura Palmer, Uncovered
Chrysanthepop28 February 2009
David Lynch's prequel to his TV Show 'Twin Peaks' drowns the viewer into the psyche of Laura Palmer, who was a crucial enigma of the series (but then again, 'Twin Peaks' is full of enigmas and riddles). The darkness of the human mind has been a consistent theme in many of Lynch's works. Other more recent examples include 'Mulholland Drive' and 'Inland Empire'. 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me' is brutal, stark, graphic and horrifyingly disturbing.

'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me' may not be as technically 'polished' as Lynch's other films and the low budget shows (but is not bothersome at all). Yet, the closeups have a very strong effect as it provides some evidence of fine acting. Sheryl Lee is at the centre of the film and she is astonishingly superb. Someone should give this actress more roles. Ray Wise, Moira Kelly, Kyle Mclachlan and the rest of the supporting cast are of note. The visuals, even though this is during the pre-CGI boom, are mesmerizing. And of course, what would a Lynch film be without symbolism. They are plentiful but I won't give my interpretation as they are best discovered first hand.

Many feel that the story is inconsistent but to me it all fits well together. Towards the end it is depressing, as the viewer has witnessed all the layers of Laura's agony in detail. It is not a comfortable film to watch. After all, she was just a normal American teenager who has experienced the worst of life and this movie grips the viewer and shows her life breaking into irreparable pieces. Yet, given the heavy theme 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me' is a film worth experiencing, especially for fans of the series and Lynch's other works.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For Twin Peaks die-hards only
hall89518 May 2007
If you were not a fan of the Twin Peaks television series you would not want to bother watching this film. Fire Walk with Me pretty much requires the viewer to have already seen every episode of the television show. If you haven't you will be well and truly lost as you watch this film unfold in the bizarre Twin Peaks universe. Assuming you have the requisite working knowledge of all things Twin Peaks heading in you'll at least be able to understand the film. Whether you'll like the film is an iffy proposition at best.

Fire Walk with Me is a prequel to the television series which means Laura Palmer is alive. But before we can get to Laura there's a thirty-minute or so prologue (a prequel within a prequel?) about the investigation into the murder of Teresa Banks, whom all the Twin Peaks die-hards know was the first victim of the killer who would eventually murder Laura. After what any fan of the television show will see as some typical weirdness, and not much in the way of resolution, the prologue ends and we move forward in time, jumping into the final week of Laura Palmer's life. It's nice to see Laura alive for the first time. The television show had already established Laura was not the sweet, innocent homecoming queen she seemed but her demons were, for the most part, only hinted at on TV. In Fire Walk with Me those demons are on full display. Where the television show was subtle, the movie is in your face. A little too much in your face some might say as David Lynch takes full advantage of all the opportunities provided by producing an R-rated movie. Certainly nothing is held back here as we watch Laura Palmer spiral downward towards her sad end.

In the rather brutal telling of the story of Laura Palmer's final days all the charm of the television series has been lost. For all the terrible things that occurred in the series the show always had that small-town, quirky charm. Not here. For the Twin Peaks fan it's nice to see those familiar characters again. And the film does add a lot to the Laura Palmer story and allows you to get to know her much better. But you may come away wishing you hadn't gotten to know her quite so well. Perhaps some things are better left unspoken and unseen. There were two sides of Laura Palmer and this film shows you much too much of the dark side. There was a lot of good in her, watching this film makes it hard to remember that even as you can't help but sympathize with the way she is being taken advantage of and the way she will meet her ultimate fate.

If you're a real Twin Peaks fan you really do have to see the movie. There is a lot to like about it. The story is captivating as ever, if decidedly less charming in this go-around. And the performances from the cast are mostly very good, most notably from Sheryl Lee who finally gets to play a living, breathing Laura Palmer after having been introduced to the world dead and wrapped in plastic. And Ray Wise as Laura's father Leland also does fine work in portraying a disturbing and complicated character. We never got to see Leland and Laura interact in the series and their relationship is fascinating to watch. Fascinating and also more than a little creepy as the movie's Leland is a constantly ominous, threatening presence. You'll miss Lara Flynn Boyle who for the film has been replaced in the role of Donna by Moira Kelly. Kelly fails to bring the same spark to the character that Boyle did. And while many of the characters from the show return you'll miss those who notably don't. Audrey and Benjamin Horne, Sheriff Truman, Deputies Andy and Hawk, Doc Hayward and Pete Martell and Big Ed...would have been nice to see them and some others one last time if even just briefly. It is nice to have the opportunity to go back to the Twin Peaks universe. Unfortunately it's not quite the universe you remember. This is a much darker, sinister and decidedly less enjoyable Twin Peaks. Sometimes you can't go home again.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great but disturbing film...
OrigamiDoug20 January 2003
Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of David Lynch's movies. Even if I don't completely understand them the first time around, they always evoke a strong emotional response from me. This film was no different. It was alternately beautiful and horrifying due to the duality of Laura's life. Knowing that Laura was ultimately going to end up dead created a sense of dread that stayed with me throughout the entire film. Scenes such as Mike confronting Leland on the road and David Bowie's appearance as Agent Jeffries frightened me, for some reason, more than any horror film I've ever seen. But the scenes that show Laura accepting her fate are the most chilling of all; here is a girl who, under different circumstances, would have been a pure and normal individual. But she was corrupted by an evil force and instead used her inner strength to choose to die rather than succumb completely to BOB. Sheryl Lee's performance was flawless, and the rest of the cast turned in great performances as well. TP:FWWM is my favorite Lynch film, and one of my top five favorites. 9 out of 10
37 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Fan Edit is Better than the Theatrical Cut
behappysmile1 August 2017
If you are currently watching "Twin Peaks" on Showtime and are a little confused then you should watch "Fire Walk With Me". As much as I am enjoying some of the new episodes of "Twin Peaks" it is a little strange!

I know people that have never seen the show before are saying one thing "What the Hell"? I can't blame them because the show seems to be catering to the die hard fans of the show. Most of all it is catering to people that know and remember every character from not only the show but the film "Fire Walk With Me".

Now I was always a fan of the television show. I was mad that the show had ended with a cliffhanger.

I was happy to hear that "Fire Walk With Me" was coming. A year later when it was released I was shocked that it did not solve the television cliffhanger however I did enjoy the film.

I thought it was strange but very good. Fans of the show hated "Fire" because most the cast from the television show were not featured. It also din't help that the film was too violent for some fans. In the television show it was about "Who killed Laura Palmer. "Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me" The film was about why she murdered.

I will admit the film is very confusing. The GREEN RING was a new element that was never mentioned in the television show. Also what was really annoying to me was that the murder of Laura slightly differs from what we were told on the television show. In the television show we are told (Through Waldo the Bird) that Laura kept saying "Leo No" and that Laura had a poker chip in her stomach. These events are not shown in "Fire".

The assembly cut of the film was rumored to have run over 5 hours. When the the film was released it ran 135 minutes. Most of all the film did not resolve the cliffhanger from the television show.

Before the film was released in the USA it Premiered at the "Cannes Film Festival" and it was booed. Now I am not sure if they saw a different version of "Fire" but the film was panned everywhere. This was a shock to David because the pilot to the television show was "The Best Reviewed" television pilot of all time.

Well most fans had herd before "Fire's" release was that there was many cut scenes that featured the television cast. For years the fans were hoping that those scenes would turn up somewhere. BE it an extended television cut of the film or a special edition on home video. After all in 1984 David Lynch directed the film "Dune". A few years later when the film when shown on television it had about an hour of never before seen footage so hopes were high that this would be the case for "Fire" but that never happened until 2014 when David Lynch finally released the deleted footage. This was 22 years after the film was released.

However these scenes were not edited back into the film. David Lynch likes the theatrical cut of "Fire" so he did not want to tamper with it. However fans did and someone who goes by Q2 made a great edit that included the deleted scenes and in reality it is a better film however, it does run 3 1/2 hours! Best News is that it does solve the cliffhanger from the television show!

What is strange is that for a fan edit is that it runs smoother than the theatrical edition. The original theatrical version is shorter but seems longer! Now there is a few scenes that were re- edited back in that were not needed. On the plus side the fan edit does improve the viewers vision on the problems that Laura had to face in the last 7 days of her life! If you ever get the chance to see this edit it is worth watching, It makes "Fire" a masterpiece!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LYNCHS' DARKEST, MOST DISTURBING MOVIE; AN OVERLOOKED MASTERPIECE
Jamalio15 January 2002
This isn't just the darkest lynch film ever made, it is one of the darkest, most disturbing films ever committed to celluloid. It tells the tale of the last 7 days of Laura Palmer, so it plays as a prequel to the episodic story which told the tale of how her murder was 'a feak accident' (described in this film). The films contains some of Lynch's most creative touches to date, most notably in a nightclub (from hell) scene, in which the character's dialogue is bareley audible, and in a dream sequence which involves a bizarre painting of a wall. Why Lynch fans overlooked this is more bizzare than the film itself, as it attains a similar style, but does admittedly drop a lot of the characters that gave it it's quirky charm (Dale Cooper has merely a walk on cameo, no sign of 'damn fine cherry pie') but nonetheless has a sense of bizzare horror and dread and plays out quite similarly as how you'd imagine 'the Exorcist; the Adolescent Years. After touches of subtle horror that Lynch has displayed in most of his films, this is a return to the 'bizzarly terrifying' sense of dread that Lynch demonstrated with Eraserhead, but unlike that film it is very true to form in portraying a slow journey of a downward spiral as seen through the perspective of a confused teenage girl- caught up in unfortunate circumstances due to her effortless sensuality, and in doing so it is so disturbingly authentic young girls heading towards a similar fate may use it as an effective warning. Criminally underrated.
67 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Lynch
haapaq25 April 2005
I just watched this movie again for about the 13th time, and it just keeps getting better and better. This movie is amazing! I had the chance of following the series from the pilot to the final episode in a span of three weeks. I then watched the movie for the first time right after. Let me start by saying everything that happens in Twin Peaks from the series to the movie all makes perfect sense. This is something which needs to be viewed carefully, and thought about very clearly. I'm not going to tell you what I think it's all about but I'm pretty damn sure I know, and I know well enough to say this makes perfect sense. I will also say if you have not seen the television show Twin Peaks (season 1&2) don't even bother with this movie. I am truly tired of hearing people complain about this movie because of their lack of understanding. If you have not seen the show, you will not understand this movie.. So go out and watch the show and then think about watching this FANTASTIC movie.
104 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The last 7 dark days of the Homecoming Queen's Life...
lostintwinpeaks21 June 2002
Bob, Agent Cooper, Laura Palmer, Teresa Banks, The Man From Another Place, etc...

Welcome back to David Lynch's offbeat town of TWIN PEAKS.

Much darker than the TV series, this film was in part meant to answer many previously unanswered questions, but if anything - in typical Lynch fashion - it tangles things even further, and confuses matters all round.

Lynch apparently shot more than 5 hours of the feature, and as much of these deleted/extended/alternative scenes are still missing, the movie we're left with feels rather bare and rushed.

The performances are excellent, and the movie is visually stunning, and as usual the plot - while confusing - is intense and riveting.

But alas it could have been so so so much more.... (sighs)
43 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How does a woman feel in the dark?
ShawnM121 February 2008
I lack the ability to objectively scrutinize this film's value on a movie-goers' level. This film's artistry took me beyond the aesthetic and intellectual, and into a phsychological landscape I haven't been before or since.

One must grasp the chaos, or have been a witness to it in their own reality, to feel the depth of this film and Lynch's use of contrasting landscapes of innocence vs. evil, duality, contradiction, femininity, nostalgia, Etc., that somehow manage to make perfect sense: as long as we don't try to make sense of it. This film is about getting lost. It must be intuited, felt in the dark, to be truly appreciated. It's the only cinematic experience that I call "magical". I was unable to review this in an impersonal way.

Besides that, and for those who don't really "get it", the acting, directing, production, writing, plot, Etc. all make the film worth seeing more than once. But those are just the little things.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly underrated film by brilliant visionary Lynch
pooch-84 January 1999
Since the first line of TP:FWWM is "Get me Agent Chester Desmond in Fargo, North Dakota," some might argue that I am biased in my praise for one of Lynch's most underrated motion pictures. The truth is, my life has never been the same since the fateful midnight in high school when I experienced Eraserhead for the first time. TP:FWWM was savaged by most critics, who are unlikely ever to laud the unconventional Lynch again (unless he makes another film that connects like Blue Velvet). Few other filmmakers have had the ability to depict so tangibly the intangibility of our dreams and the worlds contained therein. Couple this with Lynch's corner on the "uncanny" market, and you have TP:FWWM, a film impossible to confuse with any other. My only complaint concerns the absence of Ben and Audrey Horne, who were such interesting and engaging characters on the television series.
92 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strictly for Lynch devotees; anyone else, steer clear
KnightLander20 June 2005
I had heard much about the cult television series "Twin Peaks", and decided to buy the First Season on DVD. When I found that none of the stores near me had it in stock, I decided to pick up the movie instead. In some ways, this was good. In some, it was bad. Let me explain ...

In 1991, "Twin Peaks" was canceled. Immediately popular director David Lynch, who also created and wrote most of the show, said that he wasn't finished with the show yet ... and set to work making a movie that would close off the "Twin Peaks" phenomenon. "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" - this film - is the result, a 135 minute journey into a realm where insanity and madness reign supreme.

"Fire Walk With Me" is a prequel to "Twin Peaks". The first thirty minutes deal with two FBI agents, Chester Desmond (Chris Isaak) and Sam Stanley (Kiefer Sutherland), who are investigating the murder of a young girl in the small town of Twin Peaks. Just when Desmond seems to have a suspect, we fade out and find that we are months later. From there, the film follows the events leading up to the mysterious death of Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee), which the series focused on. Kyle MacLachlan has some screen time as the series' main character, Dale Cooper.

This is probably the hardest film to review in the world. First of all, let me say that if you aren't a fan of "Twin Peaks" or of David Lynch, you will be lost shortly after the film begins. This movie was created solely for "Twin Peaks" lovers, and if you haven't seen the show, the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer is unveiled in this movie.

If ever there has been a movie that is pure insanity, it is this. "Fire Walk With Me" is one-hundred percent madness. And yet, throughout the whole film, I was completely mesmerized. And when the movie ended, I couldn't speak or do anything for about an hour. This movie truly has an effect on you, whether you're a fan of the show or not.

The cast is terrific, but it's David Lynch and Angelo Baladamenti who steal the show. Lynch is either a madman or a genius - I can't decide between the two. But Baladamenti is certainly a master composer, because his score for this film is beautiful.

Seeing is believing. That fits perfectly from this film. Perhaps after I watch the show, I will better understand this film. Until then, I can just say that it the most indescribable, frightening, mesmerizing, and astonishing film I've ever seen.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me
cultfilmfan17 February 2006
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is a feature film prequel to the television series Twin Peaks. The film shows the last week of a high school teenager named Laura Palmer. Laura does drugs and balances life with her male friends and her best friend Donna. Laura is also really cautious around her overbearing and creepy father. She also seems to get weird visions and nightmares on top of things, so her life is pretty complicated and she is a pretty disturbed teenager. At the end of the film it ends where the Twin Peaks television show starts with the investigation of her murder. Winner of The Saturn Award for Best Music at The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films; The Brit Award for Best soundtrack at The Brit Awards and The Independent Spirit Award for Best Original Score. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me has good direction, a good script, good performances by the entire cast, good original music, good cinematography and film editing. I have never seen the Twin Peaks television series before, but I really wanted to see this film because I figured I wouldn't have had to have seen the TV show seeing as this is a prequel and I also wanted to see the film because I love the films by the film's writer/director David Lynch. The film is hard to describe in many ways because like so many of David Lynch's films it is very unusual and is sometimes hard to figure out. But I was intrigued by this movie and I liked the character's dialog and the eeriness of the town and the different people who live there. The film is very well crafted and put together and I like how David Lynch was able to put together such an atmospheric and stylish film. Also to write a movie this interesting and off the wall takes the genius of a great writer and director such as David Lynch. I was thoroughly captivated by the film and entertained. I was also fascinated by this wonderfully unique journey into this odd little town with odd little characters and settings. A truly unique film experience and another hit for David Lynch.
55 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Peak Freak
stacktdeck23 May 2002
"Twin Peaks" was the best thing to happen to television in years. It paved the way for fan-favorites like "X-Files" and "Six Feet Under." Even distant cousins like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" owe that surreality, and that horror-opera continuity, to David Lynch's amazing contribution to television. And as much as I enjoyed Lynch's ability to re-work the failed TV pilot "Mulholland Drive" into the very enjoyable film it became, I'd still give my left arm for it to have remained on the air for a few seasons. Maybe it's the additional subtlety that Lynch was forced to apply when dealing with the much more touchy medium of TV (sponsors only want the type of nudity and swearing that will GUARANTEE better ratings,) but I think TV's a medium that he excelled in, and for that reason, the SERIES "Twin Peaks" will always be better than it's cinematic sibling. "Fire Walk With Me" is for "Twin Peaks" fans. No one else will enjoy this movie. No one else will GET this movie. And if you do, then you have more surreal and creative tastes than I do. But for all of the Peak-Freaks, this movie was the last hurrah, one more crazy, red-curtained dance party for a show that we all felt ended too soon. If you love Lynch, if you can quote every stupid line about coffee and cherry pie that falls from Agent Cooper's lips, then "Fire Walk With Me" will remain one of the greatest movies of all time.
59 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The evil that (wo)men do
ggolden18 July 2002
This remains my favorite of Lynch's "difficult" films of the last decade, which include "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Dr." Absolutely no one can establish a mood of dread like Lynch, and this film is superlative in this respect. Images, sound design, and Sheryl Lee's near-miraculous performance all contribute to something much closer to a Horror Film than the genre with the actual namesake.

It seems that many fans of the Twin Peaks TV series were very disappointed with this film. I read over and over how "peakies" feel the movie lacks the "quirky, off-beat, kinda funny" tone of the TV series. Well, step back and consider something: the central themes of the movie AND the TV show are 1.) father-daughter incest, 2.) drug addiction, and 3.) murder. I guess we're all pretty desensitized, what with TV shows like "Law and Order" and Jerry Bruckheimer movies all purporting to give us action and thrills that are gritty and hard-bitten.

Lemme tell ya, that stuff ain't gritty and hard-bitten. Rape victims on TV shows are paper-thin stereotypes compared to the Laura Palmer of "Fire Walk With Me." Why? Because Lynch shows us the HORROR, the inescapable, fenced-into-a-corner hysterical inevitableness of a young girl who can't cope with her father's abuse of her, who then turns to drugs and increasingly can't cope with those either, and who finally sees the true tragedy of her life before it's even finished playing out. The wings disappear from the picture.

What "Fire Walk" offers in its portrait of evil and abuse is the full gamut of emotions, not just fear and anger (though there is plenty of that), but also aching, aching sadness, loneliness, abandonment. Lynch did a fairly good job of conveying this within the confines of a TV show with commercials (remember how the first half hour of the pilot was just people crying?), but in the movie he really gets to go town.

Incest and drug abuse are absolutely devastating. This movie is absolutely devastating, and so touches the truth.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In Twin Peaks,no one is innocent
vampi196016 July 2006
As a fan of the TV series i was waiting for this to come out,now I'm hoping that David lynch will release the DVD with all the lost footage. as a prequel to twin peaks,it answers a lot of questions,the movie is more in your face then the TV show.its bizarre and creepy.Sheryl lee does an awesome job as the late laura palmer.while co stars;ray wise and grace zabriskie play Laura's parents.there's a lot of stars that were'nt in the TV show like harry dean Stanton,David bowie,Chris Issac, and kiefer Sutherland.David lynch has a style of film making that is unique.Moira Kelly takes over for Lara Flynn Boyle's role as Donna Hayward.the evil bob is enough to give Freddy Krueger nightmares.kyle maclachlan returns as agent cooper.look for a cameo by;heather grahmn. if you never seen the series watch this before you do.otherwise you'll be very confused.on behalf of all twin peaks fans,lets all hope that they release the special edition twin peaks:fire walk with me,with all of the edited scenes with all the great twin peaks characters.10 out of 10.a David lynch classic.
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gone is the fairy tale called Twin Peaks..
grinten389 July 2007
They say it's a prequel to the series Twin Peaks. However, it is in stark contrast to the hit series. This movie is dark and raw, colors are flat, nothing comes close to the slick looks of the series. It is almost a ritual farewell by David Lynch regarding his Twin Peaks the series. Gone is that fairy tale like feeling of the series, this movie is B-style in your face drama with typical Lynch weirdness.

If anything it's prequel to Lost Highway and Mulholland drive. Disturbing images, road rage, shots of a highway at night. Twisted characters. Nothing makes sense at first, you cannot take it literally, you have to read into it. When stripped of its madness, what's left is a tale of an abusive father, raping his daughter. And she uses drugs to escape this reality and ends up in the darkness of our lives. A side we all know is there, but try to deny for as long as possible. The opposite of the fairy tale so to speak.

So if you're a fan of the series, this one might just be too raw for the senses. Expect violence, nudity, drugs and disturbing images.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe my favourite movie of all times...
kluseba6 February 2011
This movie is very difficult to find where I live but after I have fallen in love with the brilliant series and all the other works that David Lynch has done, I was really looking forward to watch this prequel that many professionals had heavily criticized. Many people said that the movie didn't have the same charming way of the life in a small and mysterious town, many people commented that the characters weren't as intense and believable as in the series and some people regretted that some of the series's characters like Audrey Horne or Harry Truman didn't appear in this movie and that some other main characters like Dale Cooper only had small roles.

But I think that those people didn't understand the intention of this movie. It is sure that a movie of two hours and fifteen minutes can't develop the characters as much as a series with almost thirty episodes. It is also sure that this movie is about the last days of Laura Palmer and that's why characters like Audrey Horne have not much to do with this movie as they had no closer connection to the main character. This movie has a faster development than its series, it is straight forward and maybe less mysterious.

But this movie is intense in every sense of the word. It is frightening, has a very dark and desperate atmosphere, it is horrifying and it is brilliantly played by Sheryl Lee and we get a true insight of the character of Laura Palmer and her everyday life along side her strange father, her weak mother, her many different friends and especially boyfriends. This movie shows in a very straight and hard way the wasted life of a beauty that has lost its youth and innocence. This movie is about sex, drugs, violence, crime, murder and fear and how to get drowned in a circle of desperation. The scene were Laura and Donna are in the discotheque is one if the most intense moments ever filmed in cinema's history with its strange music, weird light effects, ugly sex and violence scenes and the feelings that evolve from there. You feel hypnotized and desperate about the characters. The scene where Laura and her father are in their car and surprised by a strange one-armed man is strange, disturbing and extremely weird. The scene where Laura meets the strange Bob in her sleeping room is spooky, haunting and could create nightmares. The scene where Laura finally faces her destiny is brutal, uneasy and pervert. The conclusion and final scene of the movie is the only part where you feel a little bit of piece and hope in a very transcendent and spiritual way.

David Lynch plays with your emotions and your wildest dreams and drowns you from one feeling to the other. While watching this movie I was frightened, I was almost crying, I was disturbed, I was delighted and I was absolutely impressed. I never thought that this movie would mess up with the best series in history but this flick is absolutely at the same level even if it is different because of its intensity.

But even though this movie is straight and heavy, there are still many mysterious details and typical trademarks of the series from time to time like the weird introduction of the case by Gordon Cole and the dancing lady, things that only a genius could have invented. The weird scene with David Bowie is also one for the ages and extremely cool. There are also many little hints to discover that concern the fate of other characters of the series for example the scene where a bloody Annie sleeps next to Laura and transmits her a strange message.

A sure thing is that this movie is no easy stuff and more scaring than any horror movie I have seen in my life. That's why this movie hasn't been a success for the masses and its very particular style is in fact very charismatic and different from anything you might expect. The point of desperation is that you know what will happen if you have seen the series and that you know that the characters are damned or even lost and the frightening about all of this is that you know that there is no escape and that you don't exactly know how or when it might happen. I really felt with the characters in this movie and this is something that has been developed in the series over several episodes but in this movie, I had the same feeling only after a couple of minutes. I have never seen or felt something as intense and strong concerning a movie in my whole life.

I always thought that David Lynch's masterpiece concerning a movie is "Lost highway" but after watching this flick I am no longer sure about it. This is a masterpiece, a mysterious, weird, scaring horror movie with some dramatic elements. This movie doesn't need much blood or gore effects to frighten you, it's all about the atmosphere. This movie is so intense that you simply don't have the time to miss Audrey Horne and all the others that I have liked so much throughout the series. That is something brilliant and unexpected that only David Lynch could create and it's a shame but as well typical for the mainstream masses that they didn't accept this style at the time and that there haven't been any more movies about Twin Peaks. At least, the legacy found its end on an absolute climax.

I would recommend this movie to anyone that likes movies and has a little sense of genius and is open-minded enough to accept the flick's very unique style. It is probably my favourite movie of all times or comes at least quite close to it.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cold, like a turkey
wandereramor8 July 2014
After the cancellation of Twin Peaks, there were a lot of questions left unresolved and the series's general meaning was unclear. The fans that had remained through the show's second-season decline doubtlessly wanted a conclusion to the show's many narrative strands. A feature film could have provided a sense of closure, as with future cult TV shows Firefly and Veronica Mars. But of course, David Lynch has never been one to give people what they want.

Fire Walk with Me is a prequel, and one that doesn't really provide any information about Laura Palmer's death that isn't revealed in the first half of the TV series. As such, it's inessential even for fans of the show, and at times can feel like a rehash of old material (especially in the first half hour, another quirky detective investigating another murdered young girl).

So why watch Fire Walk With Me? Well, there are some fun appearances by the likes of David Bowie, Kiefer Sutherland and Harry Dean Stanton. But more importantly, the film pares down the supernatural tangents and weird townspeople that littered the TV series. Those things had their value, but they eventually made the murder of Laura Palmer a half- forgotten conceit. As in so many murder mysteries, the actual murder victim becomes inessential. In Fire Walk With Me, that violence takes centre stage. We see Laura Palmer's world, a world of constant sexual violence and her futile attempts to cope by owning the depravity. It's Lynch at his bleakest, and it's genuinely unsettling in the way that, say, the Log Lady is not. Rather than being the story of a strange small town, Fire Walk With Me tells the story of Twin Peaks as a story about a girl who is repeatedly raped and eventually murdered, and there's absolutely nothing charming about that.

It might just be because I was less focused on deciphering the plot, but Lynch's style seems heightened in comparison with the TV series and even some of the other movies he made around this time. The story unfolds in a kind of jazz-like alternation between absurdity, kitsch and horror. There isn't really a plot, but nevertheless I couldn't turn my eyes away. The return to horror makes Fire Walk With Me a worthy companion to the original series, and much more worthy of a revisit than some of those season 2 episodes.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing like the final episode of the series.
jasarthur27 November 2009
My son and I enjoyed the quirkiness of the entire first and second seasons, up until the last episode, which was a total bummer. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Like that final episode of the series, this movie is really sad and confusing. One viewer says in his positive review, "It really puts you in to Laura Palmer's world, or what's left of it, briefly... Fire Walk With Me gives something to Laura Palmer that she had been denied on television." Well, it's quite possible that it will do the same for you. Laura was tormented and tortured, sexually abused by her father or Bob (we never truly know) and she was always in 'purgatory' if you will, always in the Red Room when we saw her, or seeing a flashback of her murder during the course of the TV show. I for one am not entertained or enriched by seeing someone's art film portrayal of psychotic, damaged people. The twisted characters like the dwarf (little person) in the Black Lodge never made any sense. It was like the end of 2001 where you had to insert your own meaning. The TV show at least had interesting characters and a plot you could half-way follow.
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the Q2 Fan Edit
donniedean13 July 2017
This is a very good film. When David Lynch re-released his original cut in 1992 there was over an hour of footage that was edited out of the final cut. For years fans were begging to see this footage. Then after 22 years "David Lynch" did release them. They are refereed to as "The Missing Pieces". As nice as it was to see these scenes they were not edited back into the film.

I just watched the Q2 fan edit for the first time and it was GREAT!!!

It made "Fire Walk With ME" more complete. I have seen the original version many times and still enjoyed even if it didn't make too much sense! THE Q2 fan edit makes the whole film make sense.

The Q2 fan edit reinserts the missing pieces and places them in the order in which they appeared in the screenplay. Also restored is a countdown. It tells you how many days Laura Palmer has left to live.

Now upon watching this fan edit you can full understand why David Lynch cut them. However he should have left in all the Theresa Banks Footage. He also she have kept in the David Bowie scenes.

The fan edit runs about 3.5 Hours. If your a fan of season 3 of "Twin Peaks" then you must see the fan edit!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible crazy movie.
cbrimhall0828 January 2013
I'm sorry but this is one of the worst films I've ever seen. I know that within the film industry originality and alternative approaches to telling stories are usually praised but this movie is a waste of time. I've seen some other David Lynch movies, and there are a few I like, particularly Lost Highway. But not only does this movie not make sense, it is boring and very dry. Inland Empire was at least crazy enough to keep you watching but this movie starts out for 30 minutes as an FBI investigation and then the remainder of the film is about a high school student. The story never comes back to the FBI investigation or the first missing girl. In all, I just feel that this movie was trying too hard to be hipster and out there. It failed miserably in my book.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murder Case Turned Eerily Kafkaesque
andreashalskov11 July 2006
If the words above could be used to describe another Lynch movie - the much applauded "Lost Highway" (1997) whose plot is inspired in part by Kafka's "Die Verwandlung" and the well-known O.J. Simpson-case - they are as much descriptive of his earlier and less critically acclaimed film "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" (1992).

After two fascinating intermezzos (namely "Industrial Symphony No. 1" [1990] and "Wild at Heart" [1991]) David Lynch returns to the ever more surreal and absurd mystery of "Twin Peaks" (1990-1991) together with writer Robert Engels. While the TV-series opened to rave reviews and much acclaim, audience interest dwindled and critics grew tired during the much debated second season. Leaving no finite answers as to mystery of Laura Palmer's murder-case, the series went as far as to finish with a question - in fact, a strangely diabolical one: "How's Annie...?"

There are perhaps no definite answers either in the prequel "Fire Walk With Me", however the subjective story of Laura's Persephony-like descent into Hades remains as tantalizing and surreal as ever - at once more impressive and more horrific than that of John Merrick in Lynch's 1980 classic "The Elephant Man". To be true, the story of Laura's dire straits even resembles that of Fred Madison in aforementioned "Lost Highway". And there will never be an ending quite as persuasive - though explicitly violent and misogonistic - as when Laura's strangely picturesque thrashing is underscored by the classical masterpiece "Requiem in C Minor". - A final scene not without a certain likeness to the visually explicit misogyny in "Blue Velvet" (1986) where strongly saturated close-ups of Dorothy Valens' bloody teeth make for a scarily scoptofiliac and visceral experience.

Two scenes in particular from "Fire Walk With Me" deserve mentioning as perhaps two of Lynch's most explicitly and vividly subjective sequences ever:

(1) - an almost (andobviously intentionally so) unintelligible scene in a filthy bar near the American-Canadian border where Jacques Renault apparently (though never audible to 'us') gives hints as to the murder of Teresa Banks.

and,

(2) - an excessively loud, noisy scene where Laura and Leland, both seated in Leland's car, are held back in traffic by a timber truck and an old handicapped couple. The eerie tone slowly turns deafening before erupting in a violent (almost abrasive) musique concrète - mirroring the abuse of Laura and the (beautiful?) absurdity of life in an almost Epsteinian fashion.

The film has so often "fallen victim" to misreadings and critical devaluation, but in its uncanny and eerily surreal stimmung it should, instead, be recognised as the very essence of Lynchian. Demanding as it may seem, "Fire Walk With Me" is meant to be experienced and felt, as much as it is meant to be intellectually understood.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The badder, the better!
apauLLo30 August 2015
★★★★☆ 4.5 out of 5 stars. Like most of Lynch's brilliant, often genre- defining films that raise the bar for inspiring film-makers, TPFWWM gets better with repeated viewings. So multi-layered with so many lines to read between, not like most of the near-brainless popcorn crap that sadly most audiences love to flock to, this has become a real cult gem in 24 years. In 1992 Cannes festival-goers booed it, and I was particularly intrigued how it was once brazenly marketed with Siskel & Ebert's famous "TWO THUMBS DOWN!" in letters on a poster larger than the title itself. FWWM was never designed to appeal to the masses - par for David Lynch and par for me. Sheryl Lee's performance is superb, and the newly available 90 minutes of deleted scenes on Blu-ray enforce this performance, ESPECIALLY Bob's possession sequence with Laura's slowing widening toothy smile - one of THE downright creepiest cinematic scenes you will ever see. 9/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.