Malcolm X (1992)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 52 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for a scene of violence, and for drugs and some language|
Sex & Nudity
- It is mentioned that a woman, and many other women have been raped.
- Malcolm and a black woman kiss and then make out while laying on a beach.
- There is a scene when Malcolm X is walking down the street being approached by scantily clad prostitutes. He doesn't acknowledge any of them. In this same scene, there is a brief glimpse showing a woman preparing to perform oral sex in the dark shadow of a building. A woman in the background is shown opening a man's jacket before kneeling. There is no nudity and the scene fades away very quickly before anyone can see anything.
- There is a scene where a man is found dead atop a woman, neither appear to be wearing shirts, however all that is visible is the man's back and the lower side of a woman's breast (no privates)
- Some sensuality and sexually suggestive dialogue, although there are no explicit depictions of sexual activity.
- There is a scene between Malcolm X and a white woman, Sophia, early on in the movie. Nothing explicit is shown; the two of them are making out in the backseat of a car. They lie down and the scene fades away, implying sex. There is another scene a few minutes later between the same two people; nothing sexual or explicit happens. Malcolm is shown post-coitus and shirtless and Sophia is in a nightgown.
Violence & Gore
- Malcolm is hit in the stomach with a baton.
- Brother Johnson was beaten as a bystander by police and he is seen bleeding profusely and is hospitalized.
- Real-life footage of brutality and even a lynched man hanging from a light post are shown.
- Real footage from the 50's or 60's of black men and women being sprayed by fire hoses throwing into concrete.
- Footage of black people being beaten and harassed for sitting at white-only restaurants. A man is thrown over the counter. Another is being punched multiple times without resisting. All the footage is real footage from the time.
- A man is shot in the arm with blood spray briefly.
- In a bar two men get into a disagreement and on hits the other in the head with a glass bottle. Minor blood.
- Several black men chase another black man with guns, but he escapes and no shots are fired.
- The main character plays Russian roulette and forces another man to do the same. No shots are fired.
- Some scenes depicting violent beatings, e.g. opening credits Rodney King tape, some with blood and a man was beaten by police officers (unseen but he looks bloody when wheeled out of a police station).
- Houses are burned and firebombed, including both Malcolm's childhood home in Nebraska and his adulthood family home in New York City.
- 3 uses of fuck. 1 used as motherfucker and the other 2 uses as fuck you.
- 'H*ll' is said at least twice.
- 'Sh*t' is said at least three times, and 'bullsh*t' is said four times in one scene.
- 'Wh*re' is said.
- 'D*mn' is said at least twice.
- 'Godd*mn' is said twice.
- 'B*stard' is said.
- 'Cracker' is said as a racist term.
- '*ss' is said.
- 'B*tch' is said at least twice.
- 'Nigger' is said at least 50 times, often in a racist context.
- 'Negro' is said many times, which may be offensive to some.
- 'Boy' and 'coon' are said in degrading or racist manners.
- 'F*ck' is said three times, including one paired with 'mother'.
- Use of 'Jesus' and 'Jesus Christ' as exclamations.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Two men and a woman snort cocaine and act high. Later, one man implies another man and himself should use some cocaine, but the second man declines.
- In a bar where many people are drinking the main character orders a drink.
- The main character lights a cigar for another man on two seperate occasions.
- Malcolm orders cigarettes and cognac in a bar.
- Several scenes take place in bar where the main character smokes and drinks.
- Several minor characters smoke throughout.
- A man is huddled in a corner of an asylum after it is mentioned he is withdrawing from heroin addiction.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Klansmen set fire to the home of a man and his family while they are inside, including small children. They tell them to leave town and he fires his gun at them, intentionally missing.
- Some of the earlier preaching by Malcolm and the teachings he received about Islam are hateful toward other races and peoples. It also encourages violence.
- Klansman riding on horseback threaten a woman in her home with her children.
- The main character is involved in illegal activities, including illegal gambling, drugs, theft, as well as carrying a gun.
- The climax is very violent and disturbing.
- Intense scenes of threatened or onscreen violence; the entirety of the film's subject matter is potentially upsetting to some viewers.
Sex & Nudity
- Elijah Muhammed is found to have committed adultery with two of his former secretaries, fathering several children by them and becoming their paternity lawsuits' target.
Violence & Gore
- Malcolm's father is murdered he is seen swollen and bleeding and it is implied he is run over by a train.
- During Malcolm's assassination he has two giant holes explode from his chest from wounds received from a sawed off shotgun. The wounds are big and bloody. He is then shot multiple times while laying down blood spraying all over the floor around him. Another man is shot in the arm and one of the shooters is shot in the leg. The whole scene is very disturbing and extremely violent for a PG-13 movie.
- Two of the shooters fall down the stairs and the other one is dragged out to the street and is beaten as police try to deescalate the situation.
- Historically accurate depiction of Malcolm X's assassination, includes bloody shootings.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Malcolm's assassination is very upsetting and disturbing. The scene is very violent and sad especially when his wife runs up to his bullet ridden body and sobs near him as friends try to resuscitate him.
- An ensuing panic happens during and after the assassination and it is all very intense.