Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1989) Poster

"Kiddy" and "Kid Appropriate" are two very different things.
ca_dale5 June 2006
In reference to my review's my tag line, this is by no means a movie for "kids only". Looking back at Little Nemo as an adult, I'm surprised at how well it still holds up in my eyes. The writer's did a good job in making Little Nemo suitable for younger viewers, but without dumbing down the plot, dialogue, or artistic creativity of the film. There's no reason why a kids film can't be smart and original, and it really irks me when writers use a young target audience as an excuse to give us a second rate script.

Little Nemo is certainly unique if nothing else. The story follows a young, imaginative boy named Nemo as he travels through the mystical Slumberland. Nemo meets and befriends numerous people throughout Slumberland eventually earning the high esteem of the land's royal family. Unfortunately things go horribly wrong after Nemo's curiosity inadvertently leads him to unleash a virtual Pandora's Box, which threatens to destroy the kingdom. Can Nemo redeem himself and save his new friends?

The lead characters are very well developed, thanks in no small part to the great voice actors. They convey a genuine and convincing level of human emotion. Little Nemo has a very surreal atmosphere to it, which work perfectly at conveying the dreamy atmosphere of Slumberland. There are also some surprisingly dark and moody moments. Don't get me wrong, this isn't scary by any means, far from it, but the colors are very effective in conveying the tense emotion and gloomy atmosphere of these scenes. Likewise the more upbeat moments are also very well executed, with a bright vibrant array of reds, blues, yellows, etc. Really top-notch animation, that still holds up very well even by today's standards.

I would definitely recommend Little Nemo if you're looking for a quality children's film, that parents will likely enjoy as well.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually fantastic!
La Gremlin6 October 2000
Ever rent a movie out of curiosity because, although you've never heard a good thing about it, you want to see it anyway because you thought it looked good? That happened to me with "Little Nemo"; I rented it one summer and felt as if I had struck gold.

The thing that got me with this movie was that the animators managed to imitate the original Windsor McCay illustrations so closely. Being an illustrator myself, that completely won me over and that alone would be cause to recommend it. But this is also one of the most visually inventive animated films I've ever seen. I will not spoil the surprise by describing anything, but the way this movie depicts Slumberland is surely the best thing about it. This is definately worth hunting down.
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's nice to relive your childhood every now and then
abum1909 January 2005
My sister and I used to go to this daycare where we watched a movie a day. We watched a lot of movies more than once and this was one of them, because everyone loved it so much. About a month ago, I remembered so little about the movie that I thought I had dreamed about it (kinda ironic, don't you think?). Then I looked it up on IMDb and realized it was a real movie. I got it for my sister for Christmas and having just watched it, I'm glad I did.

Nemo is a fun-loving boy who dreams that he goes to Slumberland, a magical kingdom that contains everything any kid would ever love. This place becomes a sort of reality for Nemo and he is entrusted as King Morpheus's heir and given a key to every door in the kingdom- however, he is asked to not open the door that has the key's symbol on it. Of course, he ends up opening it (with a little encouragement from a troublemaker named Flip) and the Nightmare King ends up kidnapping the king.

The movie is not an intricate masterpiece storywise, but the plot and characters are so much fun it really doesn't matter! The real joy here is the animated backgrounds and effects- this movie is a visual stunner.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They should re-release this on DVD or VCD
Angel_Meiru9 July 2004
"Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" (aka. Little Nemo: Dreamland no Daiboken) is quite a fun Euro-Anime film. It also spun off a video game based on the movie and it is a good film for those whom don't really remember or never heard of McKay's original comic series.

It is about a young boy named Nemo and his flying squirrel going on different dreamlike adventures, some of them having different results of their own. Sorry, I just don't feel like spoiling anyone today.

I swear, I cannot believe this film bombed outside of Europe and Asia, because it was "un-Disney like". Yeah, well, that is why Little Nemo is good. Alot of Disney's (recent) works are so sappy and sweetsy, like syrup on sugar on saccarine. Kind of like an unberable sweetness.

Anyways, check this movie out. You will be doing me and others whom remember this film a favor, and PLEASE put it on either DVD or VCD, with also the original Japanese and French tracks too!

PS. Did you know that Brian Froud, Moebius and Hayao Miyazaki all worked on Little Nemo? No wonder it is so great!
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Little Nemo" a joy true to the spirit of the original
greg-glen5 March 2009
"Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" is a joy and a wonder, just like the original Winsor McCay cartoons. For those ignorant of the history of American cartoons, McCay's "Little Nemo" series was a classic of naive pop surrealism exploring the adventures of a boy in the dream-world. McCay was sometimes deficient in spelling, but he was never deficient in drawing or imagination. Of course, the movie has to elide or telescope things a bit. After all, the original cartoon was a serial running episodically in newspapers. I find no serious fault with this. I took particular delight in how some scenes here meticulously mirrored the original cartoon. The animation is at various points dreamy, beautiful, dark, menacing and, of course, surreal. I think it is a mistake to view this film purely as a product of the anime industry - the film is instead a meeting of the Japanese culture with American culture. The merger of sensibilities here is quite wonderful. I loved the squirrel's petulant irritation at being called a "rat." And I loved the nightmare monster-heel. And, of course,the trickster figure, Pip. The whole thing has the quality of a twisting dream, sometimes good, sometimes bad, just like real dreams. Don't hesitate to buy and watch this. Greg Cameron, Surrey, B.C., Canada
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Inspired Story
sidereal-32 September 2000
Little Nemo, a boy of about 5 or 6, enjoys the bucolic wonders, beauty and fun of Slumberland, but breaks a promise to the fatherly King Morpheus which unleashes the dark powers of the Nightmare King upon his friends. He must face his terror to rescue them.

A terrific children's fantasy without a whiff of adult subtext, demeaning remarks or misplaced self-consciousness. The drawings were beautiful and wondrous; the characters were interesting and unburdened by comic-book-style psychological problems; the storyline was generous and kind, without being obsequious or sentimental. There are some frightening scenes for preschool children, involving nightmares and the demonic Nightmare King, but the reconciliation at the end of the story makes it all worthwhile. Very tender children (age 2 - 4) may find these scenes too horrifying unless a parent is there to comfort.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why?
Gmork-224 September 1998
It's sad to see this type of movie put down as a children's movie, because it's a cartoon. The dialogue isn't only not kid-like, but very refreshing in a cartoon. The art, and the colors... the music, all melts together into a work of art unappreciated by the general public. So I ask thee, why?
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
9/10- A great film for kids, adults, and video-game connoisseurs. (WARNING... May contain some spoilers)
Quint-624 July 1999
Imagine, for a moment, if you will, the time when you were a child. Imagine your happiest dream. You're there, youth restored. A child again. As you soar through the air on a strangely floating bed frame and mattress, you see everything you've ever lost, everything you have, and everything that could be possible. Your high-school girlfriend/boyfriend is there. So is your pet from childhood. There is the mystical ruins of the Cloud City you may have heard of in childhood.

This is the scenerio set up in Little Nemo, a tour de' force through the dream world as seen through the eyes of a ten year old boy in pre-civil war era New York. Based on the turn of the century comic strip serial- and more resently the wonderful video game classic for the NES- Nemo revolves around Nemo, who lives in a pre-World War era New York. Coinciding with the arrival of the World's Fair, Nemo's dreams begin to transcend reality, and one night he gets pulled into his own dreams-boy and mind.

From there Nemo is brought to the reality-or unreality- that he now lives in Slumberland, a Renassaince-like world of perfect harmony. Everything goes great with his new adoptive father, the king, and his step-sister, the Princess, whom he is attracted to. Then he encounters Flip, voiced by the loveable Mickey Rooney, who is an ex-con on the run in Slumberland for his reckless gambling and black market trading of bizarre Kitsch. From here, Nemo's life becomes a somewhat perverse combination of mindless, Yellow-Submarine inspired romping with the princess and wreckless parading with Flip. Nemo's happy little wonderland is burst, however, when Flip finally convinces Nemo to do the ultimate crime, which consists of opening the gates to Dream Hell. With the century-sealed gates now open, Dream Demons- Nightmares- parade around, slaughtering the palace guards and making off with a girlishly screaming King as Nemo and the Princess watch in horror. From here, the Nightmares begin to screw around with the dream world as well as the real world, sending Nemo on a mind blowing journey, bouncing him between the real world and the dream world until he ends up marooned in the middle of the dream world ocean. From this point Nemo, Flip, the Princess, as well as some outcasted and slightly psychotic Nightmares must travel into the realm of Nightmare Land, rescue the king, and kill the Nightmare Lord before he can combine and twist the real and dream worlds into his own perverse fantasy.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lovely Masterpiece
gracegibson9 January 2005
Ever since Walt Disney created the first animated cartoon, some have been great, OK, and truly bad. Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, in my opinion, is one of those great animated movies. The plot, a young boy named Nemo having adventures in a magical place called Slumberland, will surely enchant its viewers and you will always remember the fun, whimsical music. Not to mention the animation is as magical as Slumberland itself (the work of millions of dollars). I'm surprised it did very poorly in the American box office. I heard that the reason for the huge flop was because it was "un-Disneylike". So what? Have you seen the crap Disney has been making lately? (with the exception of Pirates of the Caribbean). Little Nemo is one of the greatest kid movies ever made and if you have toddlers, I thoroughly recommend this movie.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was so happy!
linneamarie1117 April 2016
I remembered this movie that I used to watch when I was little. There was a parade, a squirrel, a little boy, a big man and a big key. There was a lot of black goo at one point and an evil guy. I had no idea what the movie was called and I had no idea if it was actually real, because when I told people about it (which I did a lot because I wanted to find out what it was called so I could see it again) no one had heard about it.

I started thinking that I had dreamt the whole thing. That it was one of those dreams that you have several times. I had tried googling it, I had asked my parents and my sibling, who should've known what I was talking about seeing as I probably couldn't just pick it out and put it on myself as a little kid.

Years passed, yes, years. I just thought that it was a dream. I didn't really believe that it was, but maybe...? A year or so ago, I remembered it again; the squirrel, the little boy, the key, everything. I decided to google it again, but this time I used different search words and I found it. I was so happy. You have no idea! I had been thinking about this movie for years!

I watched it again and it's a cute and sometimes scary movie. I was just happy I had a chance to find it again (:
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreams vs nightmares= good vs evil in a beautifully animated and imaginative film
TheLittleSongbird14 October 2009
I saw Little Nemo: Adeventures in Slumberland on YouTube last night, having vague memories of seeing it once as a child. I just want to say I loved it; it is such a beautiful imaginative movie, that is a must-see for everyone. There is so much to recommend this wonderful movie, and the rest of this review will aim to explain why the film was so good.

The animation is stunning. Yes, I know some of the characters' faces were rather pale, but the backgrounds are colourful and lush, and the scenes in the sky were jaw-dropping. The songs by the Sherman Brothers, who brought us Mary Poppins, Jungle Book, Aristocats and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang are lovely and memorable. Some bring a subtle touch to scenes, while others are jolly and fun.

The characters are a delight. Nemo is still a likable character, if a rather unlikely hero. Icarus is hilarious, Camille has her good moments, King Morpheus reminds me of Santa, Captain Genius is great fun but my favourite has be Flip. As for the vocal talents they were exceptional, the standout easily being Mickey Rooney in a fitfully amusing turn as Flip. The story is highly imaginative and beautifully told, with some subtle moments and some dark ones. I will admit what I remembered most about this movie as a child was the Nightmare King. Young children may find him frightening, but he is such an effective villain. Who cares if he looks a little like Chernabog from Fantasia, he is still a scary and great villain in my eyes.

All in all, a beautiful, imaginative and underrated film. 10/10 of course! Bethany Cox
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're never too old to let a family feature charm you.
joebrian5516 November 2011
Even though I'm 16, Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland is actually one of my favourite kids' movies of all time. To tell you the truth, I first saw this at age 15, but luckily I have a soft spot for family features, as long as they've had actual effort put in.

I have many reasons why I love this movie. For one thing, I love fantasy stuff so this was an instant chalk-up on my favourite films list, which also includes the Harry Potter films, Don Bluth films and Disney stuff as well.

Secondly, I have quite a few favourite characters. Nemo (of course), but not just because he's the main character, his flying squirrel friend Icarus, because he's just so adorable and silly (Yes, I have a soft spot for cute stuff even though I'm a teenage boy), Princess Camille, Flip, and even the Boomps, because I know that even though the Boomps are goblins I strongly believe that not all trolls and goblins are bad.

Thirdly, the animation quality was great. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that both then-Disney animators, the director of Harry Potter, Ray Bradbury and even Japanese animators worked hard on this even though it was a flop later. It was pure eye candy for me.

Seeing as Hemdale owned this before it folded for good, it's understandable why it flopped at the box office because said film company was only an independent film distributor, it's not as if film distributors ship reels off to the cinemas for free.

I warn that it can get dark at parts, but it probably wouldn't hurt to watch this with children (either your own if you have any or kids you're babysitting).

Great!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very imaginative, very fun movie
FilmFreak945 July 2011
Little Nemo is a very different kind of kid's movie. It take's place entirely in the dream's of a little boy named Nemo. Nemo is a very imaginative little boy who is known by his parents to have very complex dreams which is caused whenever he eats pie late at night. The movie's plot takes place in Nemo's most recent dream, where he is taken to Slumberland to become the royal heir to the throne and be a playmate to the King of Slumberland's daughter, Princess Camille. Nemo is entranced by all the wonders of Slumberland but he soon meets a trouble-making Flip who convinces him to open a door that the King(Morpheus) told him to never open. This causes great chaos in Slumberland and results in King Morpheus' abduction from the Nightmare King. Now Nemo has to set out and save the King from Nightmare Land and bring order back to the once peaceful Slumberland.

This movie is an extremely fun watch. The animation is very nice and there's always something going on to never make you bored watching it. The songs that went into the movie are pretty mediocre, but not entirely terrible. It's a good movie to watch with your kids if you have them, but it's also a good enough movie to watch by yourself.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Film Ever!!!!!!!!
dillonkiel7 July 2004
This movie transcends everything we know about dreams. This film changed all the rules. No longer must we see horrible films because now we can watch this one all day long. And Mickey Rooney, he's the man, come on er'body! Now has anyone ever seen such films as STAR WARS or ALIEN, well this is definitely on the same list, I shall go so far as to claim that it is almost as good as the ABYSS. I mean Spielberg is shaking' in his little boots which he purchased locally after mad-doggin' me while watching THE SALTON SEA because this film rivals ET and HOOK. But whatever, yall can think what you like cause I know that this movie is the shizneit!
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In Defense of Little Nemo
b4time3 May 2003
"Little Nemo" is not easy to watch, but then again neither are the original comics by Winsor McKay easy to read. He had a wild and unconstrained (sometimes nightmarish) imagination, and the movie mirrors that general feeling. However, the imagery of this film is a striking tribute to a master of imagery. I wonder if Miyazaki of "Spirited Away" and "Castle in the Sky" was influenced by McKay. His flying machines, architecture, lighting and characters remind me of those seen in the "Little Nemo" comics and his casual cross-disolves from fantasy to reality and back are highly reminiscent of McKay's work. The film's major failing is its attempt to maintain a coherent, disney-like story arch in the midst of the rampant near-madness of MkKay's imagined world. Also, the squirrel was a mistake. Over all though, if you're familiar with McKay's work, I recommend you see this film to get a feel for what a McKay movie might have been like if he had persisted beyond his fledgeling attempts at animation. To see his actual attempts, I recommend the DVD "Animation Legend: Winsor McCay".
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite animated films from my childhood
ja_kitty_719 October 2009
This is an anime film I remember vaguely from my childhood. I do remember renting the VHS while visiting my Aunt Sharon, and after a few (I think) years later, I had taped it; I still have it. After watching it, I absolutely love it! With wonderful animation and songs by the award-winning Sherman Brothers, who wrote songs for Disney films like The Jungle Book, The AristoCats, Winnie the Pooh, etc. The film adapted on Winsor McCay's comic strip, and McCay also created the first "Little Nemo" animated movie in 1911.

The film starts when Nemo wakes up one night to an invitation to visit the wondrous world of Slumberland. There he becomes a playmate for King Morpheus' daughter Princess Camille and dubbed a prince and heir to the throne. But soon finds that his new position involves protecting Slumberland. Nemo was also warned never to open the door which holds the evil Nightmare King prisoner. Dared by a mischievous trickster named Flip, Nemo opens the door, and the Nightmare King slithers out and adducts King Morpheus on the night of Nemo's princely coronation. Assisted by his flying pet squirrel Icarus, Camille, the delicate Professor Genius, and Flip, Nemo travels to Nightmare Land to rescue the king.

I love to watch the little princess giving Flip a slug in the face, and "sentencing" him to "NO CIGAR SMOKING!" I wish there is a no-smoking law. I also love the lovable Boop goblins who help Nemo on his quest. So overall, I loved this film and it will always been one of my favorite animated films. And one note: Little Nemo is the first anime film to receive a national wide U.S. theatrical release.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been one of the best animated movies...
eccentric1920 February 2005
This movie is a good movie.. It had the potential to be one of the best animated movies of the 80s or early 90s had Miyazaki and Takahata stayed involved in the project... Apparently they only were able to work on the first few scenes from 1982 to 1983.. Watching it today i can see where the effort in the movie stops and it seems like it becomes just another kiddie movie.. I would love to see this movie made into a anime series.. I think it would be "the anime series" of the decade... It's a good movie and could have and would have been a hit had the studio left it's creative team alone to work on the project but i'm sure Miyazaki and Takahata got the last laugh when they saw the outcome of it. I gave it a 5 out of 10 because it's a nice film i enjoyed as a 11 or 12 y/o and that's pretty much that bottom line for this film.. Just something nice for kids to watch...
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watched this 25 years ago and I can not find the name of this movie.
nhubinhxdaa212 April 2019
When I was 8 years old (I'm 33 at the moment), I have seen this movie on the TV. I only watched about 40 minutes in the middle, no beginning, no ending. I only remember very few content of the story: a bed, a gate, a monster hiding in a swarm behind the gate, a scepter, a train... Missing the movie ending made me upset that I tried to find from 10 years ago, when the internet is easy to access for everyone. I was looking on the Disney classic movies but can not find it. It is lucky for me today while I found this after decades of suffering looking for a childhood movie ending.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go with the Bathroom Reader!
ericstevenson18 September 2016
I first heard about this movie upon seeing it reviewed by the Nostalgia Critic and I was quite surprised to see him review something that had such a high rating here. I usually watch movies he's reviewed while watching his review or someone else on ChannelAwesome. I think he outright said he's biased against anime (at least most mainstream ones), so I wouldn't listen to him. I find this to be a great movie that adapts a great franchise. Okay, I haven't actually read the comic, but at least on Wikimedia Commons it's popular. What really makes this film stand out is how amazing the animation. It fits some descriptions I've heard. It combines western animation with anime style.

I have really never seen an anime film that looks this unique. I think I heard Miyazaki might have worked on this, but he stopped or something. I guess you could consider this to be his least movie, but that's still better than the best of most slasher movies. I remember thinking that the only thing left would be for Nemo and the princess to kiss at the very end...and they do! Yeah, I'm just that into romance. I don't really see it in anime films that much as say, most Disney films. I know it's not perfect. The villain is a bit cliché, but I still think it's a realistically done movie. Well, it's all a dream (probably) so anything can happen in a dream! What I mean is, Nemo in this film really does act a lot like a little kid.

It seems like all the characters play a pretty big part. Granted, there aren't that many to begin with, but you get the idea. I read about this in one Uncle John's Bathroom Reader book. They were talking about underrated movies with the word "Little" in the title (yeah, they're weird like that) and they mentioned this. Go with what they say and not the Nostalgia Critic. I'm not going to rewatch his review because I don't want to bring attention to something I personally don't agree with. The rest of us should just love this movie for how bright and colorful it is. ***1/2
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite movie of all time.
Shraylo25 January 2009
Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1989) ***** out of *****.

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland is about a little boy named Nemo who has nightmares. One night, he is awoken and brought to Slumberland where he is to become heir to the throne. He is given a key and is told to never open a certain door, and upon meeting a troublemaker named Flip, is convinced to open said door. Upon doing so, he unleashes the Nightmare King, who has been locked away for generations. The Nightmare King kidnaps the king of Slumberland, and now Nemo must venture to Nightmare Land in order to destroy the Nightmare King and bring peace back to Slumberland.

This movie is very personal to me. I used to watch a lot of movies as a kid, and this was one of them. I can't count how many times I used to watch it. I was around 8 or 9 years old, and from what I can remember, this movie frightened me. I had dreams of my own that were similar to Nemo's, and maybe that is why it frightened me so much. But somewhere along the line, this film became another part of my collection, sitting in a cabinet for 11 years, collecting dust. That is until, at work, I started reminiscing about this film. I remembered how some scenes that I could recall scared me so much, and some of the songs, and the overall reality that the movie made me feel back then, and I dug the old tape up and popped it in my VCR.

I couldn't believe it.

Everything I remembered from my childhood flashed before my eyes. It was like going back to a time when things were much more simple. No worrying about money, work, girlfriends, or the overall necessities of everyday life. This kid, Nemo, kind of embodied me as a child. A little bit different, but he had that same childhood curiosity and energy that I remember myself having. For the hour and a half that this movie goes for it feels like being a kid again. It's a very rare nostalgia, one I have never felt before, and I don't think that feeling will ever go away. I am 19 years old now. If I move, this movie will travel with me, even if I bring no more of my old VHS movies. It will be given to my children, if I ever have any, so they can experience the same feelings that I used to feel.

That's my little part of the story when it comes to this film.

But don't think I'm bias, giving this movie a 5 out of 5 just because of the nostalgia factor.

Little Nemo is a great family film. For the amount of animated movies I used to like as a child, I'll be the first to admit that some of them were pretty painful to watch as an adult. If only I knew what my parents felt towards some of those old movies. However, they said out of some of the movies I used to watch, they enjoyed this one. But who couldn't? It's cute AND action-packed! Some of the voice acting is just awesome. I'm actually referring more so to Mickey Rooney's performance as Flip. He really gives it his all when all the other voice actors might not be. Flip's full of personality and he really embodies that friend that peer pressured you a lot when you were a kid, which is what I think they were going for. Some people might disagree, but I enjoyed Gabriel Damon's performance as Nemo, even though most of his lines include "Shazama Pajama" or "Yippee!". I just can't stop thinking about the scene in the beginning where Nemo is running away from a train and is telling his mom that they need to get out of the house. Reminds me of a few dreams I used to have.

The animation is very fluid. Whoever said that this movie wasn't very Disney-like at this movie's theatrical release is an idiot. I don't think it was meant to be. The whole movie looks and runs like a really good Anime. Considering it was animated in Japan, the whole Disney animation comparison really just doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense. But for a budget of $35 million, the animation better be good. It was, and still is. Just search the movie up on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

There is one thing I don't like in the film, although I'll tolerate them, and that is the Oomps. I probably just offended some fans of this movie. If so, sorry. Some may like them, but I don't. They were annoying as a kid, and are still pretty annoying now. Their song is dumb, some of their lines are stupid, and they are overall embarrassing to watch. Of course, in the end, they help Nemo out tremendously. But they still annoy me. Every time I watch the movie however, I like them a tiny bit more.

I'm really happy this movie was made, and to find people on IMDb who share the same feelings about it as I do. I will treasure this movie forever, and I don't care who knows that my favorite movie of all time is a kid's movie. Out of all the movies I've watched in my life (I have watched so many), this movie stands out. It is one of my favorite possessions and will never be sold or given up to anyone. I love this movie! If you ever run across a copy, do yourself a favor and watch it, or do your child a favor, and let them watch it.

Until next time, Shraylo
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is one of my favorite of all time movies I have seen when I was a kid.
kycgeorge15 June 2008
WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS.

I watched this movie again last night and it still never ceases to get old for me. I love this movie is simply is one of the best children's films.

I figured Hayao Mayazaki helped in this because he is such a great director of anime movies.

From the beginning seen to the end it it's amazing. I loved how his bed flew out his window. It makes me wish that it would happen to me one day. Just sleeping and then your off to Slumberland.

This movie totally deserves recognition. So what if it's not Disney like. Have you seen Dumbo (warning contains Alchol use), Beauty and the Beast( Warning Frightening Images), and lastly The Little Mermaid (Warning Sexual Images.) Disney movies are full of hidden adult things.

This movie is the probably one for all ages, the one that really fits the bill in amazement when it comes to imagery. It's like the Spirited Away of our generation. It was way ahead of it's time and had a great moral to teach us. Responsibility and Justice.

Nemo is one of those unforgettable characters.

I also Loved the whole Pajama thing with the incantation. It was simply great. This movie deserves to be rated in the top 5 on the best animated movie list. It may not be a Fantasia, but it is a Spirited Away.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
***.5,3,5 out of 5 stars,a truly charming story with an unfortunate mix of "kiddie film korniness"
PJS-526 May 1999
A truly charming animated film based on the classic comic book strip & almost-a-classic NES video game(**** out of 5),the film has a definite amount of charm that'll keep the kids interested & hopefully rest of the age groups too,sadly my only problem with this film is that it those have a good amount of "children's film charm" but it also has a sufficent amount of "kiddie film lameness" true if they made into a PG film they'd probably palce a few to a good amount of worthless swearing,placing in some violence or thematic intensity would probably just be too frightening for the little ones,& if they made more like the game the filmmakers(probably unlike some of us) would not want to do that to prevent a large amount of bad ratings,(sorry that I couldn't think of a way to loosen the korny-ness of this film,perhaps some of you people out there can while you do your reviews)Overall a highly charming & allinout good kid's film.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A heavily flawed but visually striking film.
IonicBreezeMachine24 December 2020
Nemo (Gabriel Damon) is a young boy who's prone to vivid dreaming and sneaking pies. After a circus comes to town he's told by his father that he might be too busy to go to the circus. When Nemo's next dream comes he's visited by Professor Genius (René Auberjonois) so he may be the playmate of the princess of Slumberland. Once there Nemo explores not only the wonders of Slumberland, but must also contend with the nightmares of Nightmareland after he breaks a promise not to open a forbidden door.

Produced over a period of roughly a decade and adapted from the comic strip by Winsor McCay, the movie became infamous for its revolving door of writers, directors, and producers that resulted in the creation of THREE different pilot films (One of which has never been released) before its final version was released. The movie was met with mixed reviews and lackluster box office, but did eventually manage to turn a profit thanks to healthy VHS sales. The movie is very beautiful to look at, but it's most likely far short of where the creative team wished to take it.

The movie's real star is the visuals and animation. The line work is very clean and the opening sequence where Nemo flies his bed is simply breath taking. But the movie runs into the problem of sticking too close to its source because the fact that everything happens in a dream makes much of the following film feel kind of hollow. There are some attempts to try and tie what happens in the dream to Nemo's real life with a forced parallel between his promise not to sneak pies and a promise not to open a forbidden door, but this connection is so tenuous that on its initial release it was edited out of the American version and no one really noticed. After the opening dream sequence the movie doesn't have much of a plot as Nemo basically stumbles around Slumberland playing around with the various sets and characters who are all patterned after the circus in one way or another, and because there's that theme around Slumberland it doesn't lend itself to much surprise so Slumberland feels much more mundane than it should.

In many ways an actual plot doesn't take place until about 40 minutes in where Nemo has to go to Nightmareland to rescue King Morpheus from a nightmare he accidentally released, but even this plot is rather lacking and disjointed because whenever Nemo is backed into a corner he'll "wake up" back in his bed but still be in the dream. This is done twice and further undermines the story of the movie because if it's a dream why should we care?

Despite the rather thin narrative the movie does have some merits. Even if there's a flabby mid section with not much substance, the opening and ending of the movie are really well done and filled with effectively built up atmosphere that is conveyed with striking animation and visuals. Even years after I'd seen this film the flying bed sequence and the desolation of Nightmareland with its deafening silence that served as the penultimate crescendo still play clearly in my mind. Little Nemo is a heavilly flawed movie, but it's also one that strives for greatness and has clear effort put in. It doesn't quite stack up to the sum of its parts, but it doesn't fall flat on its face either.
Fun
jstarkey47 December 2020
This is a cute and very unique film. I don't think I have ever seen a children's film quite like it. Because it takes place in dreamland and it is animated, the visual creativity is limitless. It's definitely worth checking out.
Amazing cartoon!
ivanmessimilos26 November 2020
Little Nemo is one of the unusual cartoons. The reason is a combination of Japanese animation and American script and English borrowed voices. Originally, Nemo was actually a comic created in 1905 (yes, it's so old) by author Winsor McCay and followed the unusual adventures of Nemo in his dreams where he would usually wake up in the last picture of the comic. He used his son Robert for the template for Nemo and drew a comic that came out, intermittently, for over 20 years. The animated version went through problems, the script changed like the screenwriters and in the end we got the aforementioned combination where we have a Japanese director, an American screenwriter and English actors. Even the great Miyazaki participated in the beginnings as early as the first half of the 80s, but he leaves because of disagreements and himself later declares that this work was one of the worst experiences of his life. Side note: the script eventually went to Chris Columbus who is best known as the director of the first two films Home Alone and the first two films of Harry Potter. The film was originally released in cinemas in Japan in 1989, and after 3 years in America. He received mixed reviews and did not earn close to what was expected, however, later on by going on VHS he gained a lot of popularity and today enjoys a cult status with a certain audience.

In the film, we also follow the boy Nemo who goes to Slumberland in a dream, meets various characters such as Professor Genius, King Morpheus, Princess Camille, clown Flip, and is always accompanied by Icarus, the flying squirrel. All characters have appropriate names. I can say that this is by no means an easy cartoon. Nemo reflects reality in his dreams (which is logical), he often wakes up and we can't always be sure what a dream is and what isn't, at least not while watching. We have a situation where something unusual happens, so we know that it is a dream, but then Nemo wakes up, but strange things start happening again, which means that the second dream has started, that is, that Nemo dreams while dreaming. I remind you that this is a cartoon for kids and that Inception comes out a full twenty years after. There is one more thing I have to mention. When the nightmare starts and we meet the Nightmare King (I said the names are appropriate) quite intense, scary and dark scenes appear. Whoever watched knows what I'm talking about. Since I was 5-6 years old when I first watched those scenes, they were the scariest thing in my life, we have nightmares myself (haha ingenious when you think about it) because of the King of Nightmares. When I looked at him again as an adult, I can absolutely understand why this was scary for me (and I believe many other children) to watch. A nightmare is a de facto nightmare. I have to commend this film for its courage and determination to insert a little more serious themes into the children's cartoon, making it a little more complicated than the average cartoon. That is why I think that it is unique and that it can offer something to adults who watch it together with children. They will not be bored or monotonous for sure.