Juice (1992) Poster

(1992)

Tupac's best performance
mate_733 January 2003
This is a hip-hop classic that I could definitely relate to being from NYC, and having been in a click of four friends since grade school. The film has a great pace and rhythm from start to finish, never a dull moment. Tupac displayed the raw talent and anger that resides in most inner city youth who simply want respect. Unfortunately respect came at a price, which the film was precisely able to convey, through strong performances by Tupac, and by Omar Epps, as the aspiring DJ, in their first featured roles. Samuel L. Jackson has a noticeable role as a pool hall owner, and young Queen Latifah does her thing as the Ruffhouse MC. Ernest Dickerson does an excellent job with capturing the energy of Harlem in an honest way, not dressed as a stereo-typical slum or focused on the historic 125th street, but neutral to lay the groundwork for the true challenges that living in Harlem has to offer these four young men. A classic!!
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Juice
Buggieblade23 March 2004
Juice is an urban drama set in early 90's New York City. It is the story of four friends who each look to gain respect in the neighborhood one way or another. Q(Epps), Raheem (Kain), Steel (Jermaine ...), and Bishop (The Late? Tupac)have good chemistry as the group of friends looking to earn some props around the way. The standout performances were from Tupac and Epps. There are many cameos by famous hip-hop celebrities in the film. The story is good and there are many memorable lines for those who enjoy this genre.

The cinematography by Dixon gives you the feel of Harlem during that era. This will go down as a classic hip-hop film with a great soundtrack. All-in-all this film is a must have if you are a fan of the genre, and a decent pick-up if you are not particularly fond of these types of films.

Peace,

Buggieblade
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Old School Hood Movie - Tupac and Omar Epps steal it
MUFCOK14 June 2013
Juice is a film about 4 friends growing up in Harlem, it tells the story of how far you will go to get respect and how possessive the need to be respected can be.

I enjoyed this movie, a good solid hood film. The acting is superb, especially from Tupac and Epps. Really strong leading performances. The transformation of Bishop from the start to the end is played out perfectly by Tupac.

The movie has a great urban old school feel with a belting hip hop sound track. It's funny, tense, emotional and gritty. Watch this if you are into this type of genre, even if your not, its definitely worth a watch.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic hip-hop film...as good today as when I first saw it
lotus_chief23 August 2003
This is one of the few, probably the only film in the urban youth genre, a la 'Boyz in the Hood' and 'Menace 2 Society' that I can truly appreciate. This film is as gritty and true to the life as the other films mentioned, but the story and acting in this film rises it above the rest. Tupac Shakur was excellent in his role as Bishop....he came through with a very intense and harrowing performance. If you need any convincing as to his talent, this film will show that. This was arguably Omar Epps' best performance, he was VERY convincing as 'Q'. Where a movie like 'Menace 2 Society' was just a showcase of the gang life, 'Juice' mixes that with an interesting and true-to-life story. It shows the struggle of black youth in a whole new light; I can't help but feel for Q and his friends because that is something that could happen to anyone. A classic for fans of hip-hop culture.

*** 1/2 out of **** stars.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic film about friends
DunnDeeDaGreat22 October 2001
Juice is a classic film about four friends and the chocies they make and the consquences. The cast all give memorable performances in particular Tupac Shakur as Bishop. The film also features a young Omar Epps. The soundtrack is also one of the best soundtracks ever made for a hip hop film. I love this movie.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hip Hop Classic
latisha-simmons30 November 2005
Wow, the memories. This is one of my favorite hip hop flicks. I'm also a Tupac fan and I can honestly say when I first saw this movie.. I hated Tupac because he made the "bishop" character so real... A little too real.. Some say Pac's problems started after he made this film...That he was living out the character... Looking back on it now as I'm older I think the character helped him release some of the darkness in his past. I miss Tupac.. When I look at these watered down rappers ... i.e. 50 Cent.. and how he's still around.. It tells me people are attempted to fill the Pac void.. There will NEVER be another Pac.. Please believe it.. Anyway...I watched the move again recently and it's great the music and the vibe and movement of the film is gritty and honest. It really shows how small situations in the hood can become a big problems.. Pac was excellent and raw. Omar Epps was excellent as well.. I love the movie...It never gets old.

LS MahoganyGirl.com
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it worth the squeeze?
StevePulaski9 October 2011
Juice is yet another hood film that presents itself honestly and with a good sense of realism. It doesn't capitalize on anything but the reality and the dangers of growing up in a city lead by gun violence and senseless murders. In the mix of it all are four Harlem boys all portrayed effectively by Omar Epps, Tupac Shakur, Jermaine "Huggy" Hopkins, and Khalil Kain.

The boys call themselves "The Wrecking Crew," and are trying to survive with what they have in a dangerous town. They spend most of their time at an arcade or a record shop when they cut school a little early, most of the time being harassed by the police or a gang in the process. One day, one of the boys named Bishop (Shakur) buys a gun, and convinces the other three members to come along in stickup. They rob the store, and from that moment on things go from bad to worse for the boys.

There is a subplot involving another one of the gang's members nicknamed "Q" (Epps) who is an aspiring DJ, and has a big DJ competition the night of the planned robbery.

Writer and Director Ernest R. Dickerson has worked as the cinematographer on various Spike Lee films, and this marks his very first shot behind the camera. While Juice is passable and well-made, it suffers by comparison with film's made by Lee like Do the Right Thing and School Daze. It also can be compared to Boyz N The Hood, another excellent hood film by John Singleton.

I believe because of Spike Lee films and works of John Singleton is the reason why Juice has slipped through the cracks. It has a following, but because of strong critical acclaim surrounding the other pictures and this one just having mixed reviews is the reason why this isn't remembered as well as the other films.

The moral of Juice is great about a psychological change one person can go through in a matter of time, the message about gun violence, and strong friendships being tested. However - this is taken in a more clichéd manner than any other hood film I've seen. We don't know a whole lot about the characters, and we don't know about they're raised. We don't get the parental backstory which is what Boyz N The Hood was cluttered with.

I'm recommending Juice for its morals, its sense of realism, and its subject matter. However, the delivery is a little askew, and the four boys aren't developed as well as they could be. This is still one more realistic hood film that many should make time to see, but this film only reaches the level of average to decent while all of Singleton's films surpassed the above average mark.

Starring: Omar Epps, Tupac Shakur, Jermaine "Huggy" Hopkins, Khalil Kain, Samuel L. Jackson. Directed by: Ernest R. Dickerson.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Urban Film At Monumental Portions.
powermandan9 November 2014
I hate rap, hip/hop, pop, techno, dubstep...but Juice is set during the days when rap was taking off and there was actually some technique used and talent behind it. So this is one of the few cases where I did not mind there being rap music. 2Pac is one of the few rappers I like and he sets the screen ablaze. Juice follows four teenagers from Harlem: Q, Bishop, Raheem and Steel (Epps, Shakur, Kain, Hopkins) who try to get power and respect they call "juice." Q follows his dreams of becoming a successful scratch-n-mix deejay and deals with his love life, while Bishop tries more violent activities that break his friends and the streets where they live. After a heist gone wrong, Bishop slowly grows into an out of control madman. Epps as Q and 2Pac as Bishop are the main characters that were fantastic. Both are developed and carried out so well, both were Oscar-worthy. Especially 2Pac, whose portrayal of an inner-city psychopath was so original and so convincing, he really deserved an Oscar win for Best Supporting Actor. It is one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. What I really like about this is that it is purely character driven. Those are the best movies to watch and the best things to read. In fact, this is almost Shakespearean-like. I could see making Juice into a Shakespearean play, with enough modifications to make it seem more sophisticated and complex.
Great Urban Drama Movie - A lot of substance
darkchaoschao30 May 2013
A movie about 4 childhood friends from a "'hood" in there late high school years. Basically one of the guys in the clique lusts for "juice", in other words, respect and power. He lusts for it so much, he does some pretty crazy things... things that make you really dislike the character. Tupac Shakur, he plays this role. He did a great job acting, played the character very, very well.

This movie never had any bad, boring, plain or corny moments to it. Throughout the whole movie was full of substance.

This movie might not be for everyone however... but if you like 'hood movies, then this is an easy rec. If you like any drama movies, this is an easy rec. If you just like comedy movies, then I wouldn't recommend this to you. But, being me, I love the urban hood drama movies... and this one was one of the best was I've seen, 10/10 stars.
Amazing Dramatic Movie with Great Actors
kyndrazacherl20 October 2012
To start off, I am a huge Tupac fan, and watched this and Poetic Justice back to back. Those are very far away each other on the love story to horror movie equilibrium, and Juice won by a ton. This movie does a spectacular job of not portraying Tupac as the stupid rap star who wants to act, like T.I., Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, and Dr. Dre were portrayed in most of their movies. This movie has spawned many classic quotes for me, and shows just how tough the street can be for kids who have no idea what they are doing. This movie has a lot of symbolism, and has a very nice ending that ties well with everything that happens throughout. For being young guys, the four main stars do very well with making their character come to life. 10/10, this movie is a classic to me.
A Tale of Woe.
Kakarot_XR12 October 2008
Basically. This movie could easily turn out to be real - hell, I won't be surprised if something like this has already HAPPENED somewhere in the world (most likely it has).

Me and my sister showed this movie to our little brother because he's been caught stealing SEVERAL times from the family business - so we made him watch this and he rather-ed enjoyed it until the killing came along. And we could see it in his eyes, he did begin to think 'what if... that was me'.

What was great about the movie is that it wasn't too predictable nor was it too complex to for a 14 year old to follow.

After watching the movie we lectured him about how a simple theft can lead to more and more crime, and eventually - your life being taken away.

So, not only was it enjoyable - I it was also rather educational.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm so glad I wasn't growing up like that!
kamikaze-tnt13 March 2007
This movie is really moving and powerful. I haven't noticed many parts of it, where it was weak. Some parts really gave me the creeps and I felt like I was there in the middle of the action being afraid I would get shot myself.

Plus it made me look at the person of Tupac Shakur from another point of view. Though it's "only" a movie, he makes you think that he's actually crazy and if you cross his path, he'll take you out.

I love 2Pac as rapper and this was his first movie I've seen and I have to say that the film did fulfill exactly what I thought it would be, when talking about it's quality.

At the end I just want to add that I'm really glad I have grown up in a happy home in a rather quiet neighborhood!

I recommend this to all. It's worth watching it.
my favorite movie.
Jayamaru19 May 2006
this is my favorite movie of all time. i remember seeing this when i was 7 years old. the movie amazed me. the whole concept of "q" being an up and coming DJ was great. and watching scenes of him mixing is what made me want to become a DJ. one of the problems i see now is that watching it now some of the effects seem cheesy, but maybe thats because technology has gotten better and I'm used to newer movies. also i did not like how little of the actual djing was involved in the movie. i think its like shooting a movie about Vietnam and having next to no shootings. another thing i liked was the soundtrack. naughty by nature, big daddy kane, too short, empd, and eric b. & rakim. the songs give you a good vibe for the time period. the main song "juice (know the ledge)" is a great song that gets that whole feel of the DJ culture along with again that time period. i gave it a 10 out of 10 because of how good it was for when it was done. i don't think it would be the same if they remade this movie so i hope they don't.
hmm
kenneyken-9484912 August 2015
When this came out I was a hip hop submerged teenager and I thought this was the greatest movie of all time, now as a old fogey approaching 40 this movie brings back great memories but its pretty rubbish.

Tupac shows his crazy side and to be fair he did a decent job of showing the tormented evil within.

The soundtrack still stands up, the Bass in the Eric B and Rakim track still gives me goosebumps.

All in all I think old sod's like me that grew up in the golden era of hop hop will use this to reminisce, and young kids obsessed with lil wayne, Tyga and whatever rubbish passes as hip hop today will think its daft.

Worth a watch, just.
Decent Drama
ivony14 September 2003
I caught this movie late at night while channel surfing and was immediately enthralled. Omar Epps is absolutely fantastic in this movie and his on-screen presence is worth at least viewing this movie once. Shakur was a bit, shall we say, OVERLY dramatic, but not to the point of getting annoying or looking at this as a cheesy "B" movie.

The storyline isn't a bad one and serves to entertain as well as teach. It actually succeeds in doing both. Granted, the movie is a bit predictable, but thankfully this doesn't ruin the experience entirely.

Overall, I give the movie 8 stars. The only real drawbacks being its somewhat predictability and Shakur's tendency to overact.
Well made drama.
Peach-228 December 1998
Juice is a well made drama that focuses on 4 kids who just get tangled up in a bad situation. It is well directed by Ernest Dickerson and it has a lot of style. Good cast. Worth a watch.
Great Stuff...
Li_8512 June 2006
Juice is one of the Best Black Crime (Hood) movie of its time. Starring the late Famous Rapper Tupac in a surprisingly great performance. Out of all the rappers, i would say 2pac is the Best Actor out of the lot. Ice Cube is another good actor, DMX, 50 Cent and Snoop are OK. Omar Epps gives a good performance, who delivers some great speeches at the police station questioning. Juice tells the story of the lives of 4 teens in Harlem. After a robbery goes wrong, they end up in a murder investigation. There are some great Hip Hop tunes in this movie. Special appearance from Samuel L Jackson and Queen Latifah. This is worth the watch, if you enjoy your action movies.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gritty, hard-boiled streets drama
thehumanduvet8 May 2000
Top performances from Epps and Shakur make this film watchable, the story a fairly mundane one of street youth gangs drifting into crime in search of kicks, streetcred and "juice" (or power). Shakur is the nutter who leads the way on a downward spiral, eager to get involved in any crazy venture and leading his more cautious friends down with him, Epps the good kid hoping to escape the ghetto life through his DJing skills. Uniformly good acting especially from the two leads, cameos from Queen Latifah and Samuel L. Jackson, tense atmosphere and a funny, slang-heavy script all act in its favour, but a lack of originality and a rather mediocre ending bring it down a notch or two. Worth a look if it's your scene though.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Power. Respect. JUICE
theweapon3318 August 2002
Power...Respect...JUICE. How far will you go to get it? Juice is a great story about four Harlem friends who crave the respect on the streets they call juice. The friends are tired of running from gangs, the police, security guards and so fourth. They decide they are going to earn the right to walk the streets they feel they should. So the gang of four decide to grab a gun and stick up the local convenient store. And all havoc breaks loose....? I don't want to spoil it for you. Includes a great cast of Omar Epps, Tupac Shakur, Samuel L. Jackson, and Queen Latifah. Go out and rent this movie as soon as you can. Wait scratch that go buy it as soon as you can.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stylish yet gritty debut for Ernest Dickerson
JawsOfJosh19 October 2000
Spike Lee cinematographer Ernest Dickerson (he shot Spike's first 6 films) makes a stylish, dark debut with the 1992 teen drama "Juice". Set in Harlem, the story chronicles the lives of 4 friends (including Tupac Shakur in a strong debut) trying to stay out of trouble. 'Q' is an aspiring DJ who holds fierce all his intentions to stay clean and away from danger. Steel is a chubby homeboy who wishes for nothing other than to have fun. Raheem, a teenage father, serves as the level-headed leader and peace keeper, and Bishop is a hot-headed firecracker eager to start war with the neighborhood gang (although these 4 don't behave like or consider themselves any sort of gang). Soon enough, trouble erupts when they rob the local liquor store in search of "juice" (power, respect) and a war erupts between Q and Bishop. Expectedly, Q would rather focus on an upcoming DJ contest but trash-talking Bishop has other plans.

Dickerson's directorial manner is sleek and balanced, his camera and editing preferences are not as out there and in-your-face as Spike Lee, yet he knows exactly where to put the camera for each scene (the cross-cutting police interrogation sequence is most dynamic, better than that of "The Usual Suspects" and it pre-dates that film by 3 years as well). Dickerson also chooses to avoid the obvious route expected in these kinds of films and delivers a sad, somber ending. The film is stamped hard with the look, sound and feel of the early 90's (an excellent era of those "urban" films if you ask me), colorful clothing, an excellent hip-hop soundtrack and murky neon lighting. If this is up your alley, I also suggest Bill Duke's equally powerful "Deep Cover" (also from 1992). It's too bad that Dickerson's further efforts have not topped this engaging premiere.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Street level and raw, one of my favorites
taylorwj3 February 2005
This is one of my favorite movies. It never was big box-office success if i remember correctly, but I would recommend it to anyone. The real beauty of this movie is found in the harshness of the world it portrays, dark, maze-like, and violent, and the way the characters both clash with and reflect this environment. Unfiltered and realistic, we can feel the griminess of these Harlem streets, starkly contrasted by the life in the young men that walk them. They're a crew, brothers, and they display a love only truly understood by those similarly rejected by society at large.

Juice: it's the goal of their lusts and the cause of their fall. In the street vernacular it means power and respect, and is embodied largely in the simple possession of a gun. To take this path, to take up this tool, will hold dire consequences for every one of the crew.

It is an engrossing pleasure to watch Bishop (played with disturbing intensity by Tupac Shakur) as his already thin shell of morality, held tentatively in place by his crew, erodes completely away... spelling doom for those around him. Equally gripping is Omar Epps' Q, struggling vainly against the nightmare his world has become, the judgment of the ledge looming in his future. As their world falls around them, Bishop, Q, Raheem, and Steel must come to terms with the choices they've made, the darkness they have embraced, and the consequences of power misused. Rakim said it best: Let's see if they know the ledge.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B-Level Script, Awesome Acting
The_Big_Daddy20 August 2002
It's pretty obvious Omar Epps and Tupac are awesome actors. If you don't get it from this movie, watch some of their other work and you'll get it. This movie's script was kind've crap and unbelievable. We're supposed to believe that before the movie Bishop was down and then all of a sudden at the beginning he turns into some cold, calculating guy willing to murder his friends? Man, please. But Tupac had a lot to say, but just didn't have it figured out; he was a little confused. And he got killed before he got a chance to raise up out. But I think Eminem has some of the same emotional complexity and while he has the same death-wish kind've attitude, the rap game isn't as dangerous as it once was. I expect we'll see Eminem grabbing a lot of the roles that Pac would've played.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
its power holds up
Quinoa198424 October 2018
If there's a way to get introduced to the acting of Tupac Shakur (and I don't count his cameo as part of that group that somehow got roped in to Nothing But Trouble 1991), it's when he's channeling James Cagney, among other high figures of cinematic criminal legend. What makes Bishop such a dynamic and terrifying but recognizable force is that we can understand where he comes from.

He is the antagonist of this story of four high school friends (who rarely if ever go) who go for Bishop's plan to get "the Juice" - to do a Big Bad Thing and get some money but most of all to get respect. But is he a true villain? Maybe, to some. For me, every bad decision hes made leads him to what he does and who he is (and though its a subtly done point, and powerfully so, he doesn't have a father as he's there but tuned out for reasons left ambiguous).

Hes not the protagonist though, and I was mistaken thinking going in he was, that's Omar Epps's Q, the guy who wants to find a way out of Harlem and to make it it's through music. Epps in his way is very good too, and in his way he has to be the one who is about as close to an "everyman" as one can find who is young and in a place like Harlem at that time. There's two others in this self-professed "crew" that Bishop has, but its clear since they've been together since kids, they don't easily take anyone's s*** much less each others... Until a gun comes into play.

This is a terrific and vividly realized debut for Ernest Dickerson, who mostly shows restraint as a former cinematographer (notably for Spike Lee on his first six films) in doing anything exactly 'flashy' or shots that might call attention to themselves (the interrogation with the cops may be an exception but a good one, as it's meant to be shown fully that the pressure is ON). But Dickerson makes the correct visual choices here to show this world as is, with a sort of muted/naturalistic color palette and editing that really POPS when it calls for it (ie any of the scenes where Q DJs or any time there's a chase, especially near the end).

But its most of all in his script that this sticks out as memorable. There are a couple of types here and there as far as the minor characters (Samuel L Jackson plays one but brings it full life anyway for the 5 minutes hes on), but all the same we have a young game cast that's given the kind of material that enlivens melodrama with a good deal of humor early on (some still lands, especially with an audience, some doesn't) by being as real as possible. It's also how Harlem itself looks and feels - we see this in montage over the credits - so that it cant be mistaken about how raw and rough life is for these guys.

And yeah, Im not sure if I necessarily buy that young guys in the early 90s sit around and get excited about White Heat it still works as a metaphor anyway.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Juice 1992 is easy to relate to!
makaylam-1756012 October 2016
The movie Juice released in 1992 was directed by Ernest Dickerson and cast four major actors which are Tupac Shakur, Omar Epps, Jermaine Hopkins, and Khalil Kain. This thriller is rated R and focuses on the life of four inner city young adult males. This movie was relevant in 1992 and is still very relevant in 2016 it portrays betrayal on a large scale and teaches a lot of life lessons specifically for college age students.  I found this movie to be great and, also a way to reach various crowds of people with all the action and drama within the movie.   The movie beings with the start of the four guys school day although they are in high school they almost never go. Then continues on with the average day of the teenage boys shoplifting, fighting, and getting into all sorts of trouble. The movie gives you a clear example of what it is like living in an inner city community. It specifically shows you how gentlemen of the past, present, and future have dreams of making it out of bad neighborhoods. You get to see all the problems they face day in and day out which includes peer pressure, deaths, betrayal, and the meaning of a true friendship. The violent scenes of the movie are the most lesson field parts also.

I believe Dickerson did a great job of directing this film he has a clear way of organizing the film. He organizes this way so that the audience can get a complete feeling of how the African American boys in 1992 were feeling. I also feel like the scenery helped it even more because it is placed directly in the heart of Harlem. Having this horrific scenery gives it more of an inner city feel. Instead of four suburban teenagers in the suburbs, the use of the four African American male actors helps me to understand and connect it with people I know. The movie being so reliable is what I believe makes the film incredible, it seems like it is a story that has happened to me and I'm just retelling it. Overall Juice is a movie that will draw every person between the ages 16-25. It has enough thrill and scenes to relate to this wide range of viewers. It can also be a motivation to teens all across the world. I believe it can be a motivation because it gives obvious reasons for why teen should not follow peer pressure, intake drugs, drink, and always follows their dreams. I mention teens all across the world because although many people believe inner city kids are the only once who face violence, in reality, all teens do. The violence every teen faces is different and comes in different shapes, forms, and height but overall it is obstacles everyone must cross. Juice has a great way of portraying the best way and the worst way of overcoming your individual obstacles. Ernest Dickerson should be extremely proud of this incredible film he directed. He provided entertainment while teaching life lessons that everyone could use like how to love, commitment, honesty, and friendship. If I had to rate this movie I would give it a 8 of 10 simply because its intriguing but could give a little more back story.
some great acting newcomers
SnoopyStyle14 April 2016
Four teen friends grow up in a tough Harlem neighborhood. They skip school, hang out, steal music records for Q, and get harassed by the police and Radames' gang. Bishop (Tupac Shakur) has a chip on his shoulder and a drug addicted father. Q (Omar Epps) is an aspiring DJ. Steel is the chubby sidekick. Raheem has a baby and an angry baby mama. Bishop is angry for always running and losing a friend. He pushes the other three especially Q to rob a bodega. Bishop ends up killing the owner. In the aftermath, the boys argue and Bishop kills Raheem.

Tupac shows his acting chops and some real power with potential. Omar Epps shows his presence by providing a stable center for the movie. There are other newcomers but these two are the standouts. This is a small scale epic tragedy of angry young man in a difficult world. Their troubles are almost inevitable.