Jennifer 8 (1992) Poster

(1992)

A very under-rated movie
thirdi31 October 2001
This is one of those movies that I still pull out every once in a while and just pop in. It's absolutely entertaining, with great performances from pretty much everybody, but especially Andy Garcia and Lance Henrikson.

It plays out like a good mystery/thriller should: Frustrating twists and turns, brooding atmosphere and music, and layer after layer of clues that you know are building to a big time climax. I really can't find anything to criticize about this film and I'm surprised it's IMDB rating isn't higher.

If you haven't seen it, you'll be doing yourself a favor by bypassing the new releases for just one night at blockbuster, and picking this one up.
83 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful, haunting movie
Phroggy25 March 1999
I like a good suspense story as much as anyone else, but this one really stands out. If it doesn't get the recognition it deserves, maybe because it's a "quiet" thriller, without shocking or gross-out scenes ; it relies mainly on characters and atmosphere - very moody and autumnal. For once, the killer's identity is logical and honest, but there is so much more to this, especially a graceful photography. Okay : I love this one. This is no brain candy or beer-and-popcorn, just honest, straightforward stuff, which reminded me very much of literary thriller writers like Ed Gorman or T. Jefferson
57 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
rent first, ask questions later.
snorklewacker-225 December 2000
This is easily one of the most underrated Hollywood films of the nineties - it's got a compelling script, beautiful performances (particularly from Andy Garcia, Uma Thurman, and John Malkovitch in a short but unforgettable cameo.), some of the best cinematography ever set on film (director of photography Conrad Hall later went on to shoot 'American Beauty'.), and one of the greatest scores ever written by underrated composer Christopher Young. As it is, this film is heaven from a filmmaker's perspective and a pretty damn good drama to boot. Highly recommended.
57 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
UNDER-RATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gamesoonly9 November 2004
I cannot and will not for the life of me comprehend why people do not like provoking and complex movies, (ya know, WHERE YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO THINK).

Jennifer 8, is a great movie, it is daring, smart, witty, scary and....

a bit on the real side. There are a lot of movies which people that due to reading their reviews should not watch movies that are beyond their simple mind and well, IQ. This movie is well on the top of the list for under rated serial killer flicks. Rent, Buy, Borrow but must see this excellent movie.
73 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very underrated gem
cleoew17 November 2007
"Jennifer Eight" is one of those movies that flies under the radar. For whatever reason, it never got the accolades I feel it deserves. It is a beautifully filmed, haunting movie that showcases some very fine performances. Uma Thurman is remarkable as the blind Helena, and one would be hard pressed to find fault with her very realistic performance as the would-be next victim for the serial killer. Likewise, Andy Garcia, is excellent as the tough, big city cop who is working through his own personal issues. One of the most compelling performances is that of John Malkovich. Arguably one of the best actors we have today, his commanding depiction of the hard-grilling FBI man is superb, and worth the watch just for his few cameos alone. But don't get me wrong. This movie is very, very good. It will leave you guessing to the end. Overall, beautiful cinematography, beautiful score, great thriller. Highly recommend this underrated gem. Very much worth the viewing.
28 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who Can Be More Vulnerable Than a Blind Woman in a Bathtub While a Creep Unknowingly Takes Photos of Her?
romanorum110 January 2013
Jennifer 8 is one of those serial killer thrillers quite common in the 1980s and 1990s. "Dead Aim" (1987), "Whispers in the Dark" (1992), "Blink" (1994), and Copycat (1995) are several that come to mind. The movie may be broken down into three parts: (1) the mystery build-up, (2) the romance, and (3) the recovery (back to the thriller). Andy Garcia stars as LAPD cop John Berlin who relocates to an old farmhouse in Eureka, CA to flee his cheating ex-wife and to lick his wounds. Fred Ross (Lance Henriksen) is Berlin's partner and brother-in-law. On his police radio, Berlin learns that the local cops are at a dump examining the body of a derelict. He arrives and soon the police discover a severed human hand and a bra with dried blood; later they deduce that the fingers were severely scratched because the person was a young blind woman who had used Braille. Learning of seven unsolved cases involving murdered blind women dating back to 1985 that drained police resources to no conclusion, Berlin becomes convinced that the deaths are all related. He wants to reopen the old cases. Of course, no one in the PD believes him. Berlin and Ross drive to the blind people's institute to interview the roommate of Amber, one of the missing women. The roommate is cello teacher Helena Robertson (Uma Thurman), who earlier had been in the dormitory room briefly with the bad guy (called "John") while he moved out with Amber. Helene remembers just a few details, like the sound of the car engine. Berlin comes to believe that Helena is Jennifer 8, the eighth (intended) victim nicknamed Jennifer. Helena resembles Berlin's former spouse. In this second phase, angry dark-eyed Berlin and soft blue-eyed Helena eventually fall in love.

Berlin wants to go back to the dump, but Ross says to him, "No way. I'm not going back. You might find someone's p---- in a hot dog roll." But go they do, and find a clue. But police chief Citrine (Kevin Conway) and others are adamant to close out the case because the evidence is so scanty. Of course you know that Berlin, like a pit bull, will not let go. There will be other trips to the institute, and the situation will be even spookier for Helena, as most folks would have departed the grounds to spend the Christmas holidays at the residences of their families. Even when she stays at the farmhouse, the atmosphere is eerie. Then, on a snowy and fateful Christmas Eve at the institute, a main character is bumped off, and suspicion falls entirely on Berlin. Enter FBI agent St. Anne (John Malkovitch) – smug, unyielding, insufferable, but effective. What a scene-stealer! Chomp! Chomp! Then again, you know that Berlin will clear his name in the end.

There are lapses in credibility, like Berlin's release while charged with a capital offense (murder one!), his odd motive to rummage through an Oakland house, and even his atypical second arrest. Minor plot holes or some crude editing do not really detract from the movie, because we can visualize that such and such happened although it was not shown. The climax, appropriately creepy, is somewhat turgid. Although some have questioned Uma Thurman's interpretation of a blind woman, the acting is commendable. Michael O'Neill as cop Angelo Serato, seems miscast. Does he really look like an Angelo? Then again, that is just a tertiary role. A big plus for Jennifer 8 is the on-location wintry shooting, for Eureka is cold, dreary, and darkly atmospheric. The ominous background music adds to the eeriness. But, with some better editing and a better ending, the movie could have been even greater. So is it worth seeing? Of course!
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The blind leading the blind.
hitchcockthelegend17 May 2014
Jennifer 8 is written and directed by Bruce Robinson. It stars Andy Garcia, Uma Thurman, John Malkovich, Lance Henriksen, Kathy Baker and Graham Beckel. Music is by Christopher Young and cinematography by Conrad Hall.

The small town of Eureka and John Berlin (Garcia) is the new cop in the precinct. When a severed hand is found at the local dump it leads Berlin to believe a serial killer is at work. One who has a penchant for blind girls.

The problems quickly mounted up for Jennifer 8, it flopped big in America and went straight to home format release in the UK. Problems back stage got so bad that Bruce Robinson quit Hollywood and never made another film for 19 years! In spite of these facts, it's not the monstrosity it was originally painted as back on its "limited" release.

It's a frustrating film in many ways because it promises so much. There's bags of moody atmospherics wrung out by Conrad Hall's superb photography, where he filters most things via minimal lighting. Much of the play unfolds in ominous surroundings, where dialogue exchanges are either hushed or laced with harried fervour, and the writing is actually quite smart as it blends psycho thriller staples with strong characterisations that are in turn boosted by committed acting performances. Yet these things can't compensate for the too long run time, a rushed ending and some awkward tonal shifts that often take you out of the required mood. The rushed ending is particularly galling, after asking the audience to stay with the pic for two hours, it's not unreasonable to expect a good long and dramatic finale, sadly that's not the case.

Fans of neo-noir type visuals have some interest here, as does anyone who likes the type of serial killer movies that dominated the late 80s and early 90s before Fincher's Seven raised the bar. 6/10
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sadly neglected film
diz-syd-6311 April 2013
I really adored this film and have watched it a few times. Such amazing acting from such incredibly diverse actors: Andy Garcia is just perfect as the police sergeant (and incredibly sexy in this role); Uma Thurman plays a blind musician very convincingly and some scenes are truly terrifying; John Malkovich has a stern, unrelenting style that is seemingly perfect for him in this role (St. Anne).

It is, really, a love story, set amongst a brutal serial killer's shadow. The dialog is clear and lucid, the photography very fine and often very close to the actor's faces. For Andy Garcia, this is great as he is so damned sexy. If it's a film you've thought about watching but have not, please do so. Terribly underrated.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense Thriller That Has Always Been Ignored
tfrizzell2 December 2000
"Jennifer 8" is a solid suspense thriller that is smart, inventive, and a success overall. Cops Andy Garcia and Lance Henriksen are trying to stop a serial killer who seems to always be one step ahead of them. They are positive that the next victim will be a blind woman (Uma Thurman). She is basically the bait, but it still appears that the killer is just a little smarter than the cops. In the end, an unconventional conclusion will bring everything together. "Jennifer 8" has a smart screenplay, strong direction, and a great cast. John Malkovich and Kathy Baker, in particular, are strong in short supporting roles. 4 stars out of 5.
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic Thriller with a GOLD Nugget!
clacura3 July 2016
Director Bruce Robinson got robbed! Would have been nice if the film company put into their budget advertising. This movie has it all folks.

First, the cast. Excellent. Several budding stars in the making. Lance Hendriksen is just fabulous. Like any great film actor there is little time to develop a character so casting must be spot on. Lance is believable from the first seconds of the opening scene. Sets the tone of his character Freddy Ross. Uma is great. Her eyes are eerie. She plays this role with softness and depth. All the characters are well thought out. Graham Beckel is just a scary dude. We don't know his name, but he plays the bad guy perfectly. Those eyes! All the supporting cast hit the bulls-eye like watching Seinfeld...memorable from the get-go.

Secondly, the atmosphere. Blind girl in a school for the blind in the cold mountains--rain and snow. What more could you ask for? Thirdly, the first little nugget. Christopher Young. The soundtrack is amazing. Haunting. Beautiful. When I first saw this movie I actually searched to buy the soundtrack. I never do this. It's that good! Lastly, the gold nugget. This is a movie with a twist of an ending. Remember, it is 1992. This was not done to my recall at the time. Rent this, buy this movie and watch with close friends late at night when it rains. Trust me! A great movie for male-female company. OK...the actor I never saw before had one core scene and just for this it is worth watching. Enter the brilliance of Mr. John Malkovich! We have all seen many movies where FBI agent interrogates suspect. But Malkovich takes extremely well written dialogue and it comes alive off the page. He should have won something for this performance. What I thought was just another actor for a pivotal scene made the move. His nuances, tone, pace, timing...just being Malkovich is acting at the highest level. This should have been another scene in the movie and he now becomes a main character stealing the scenes. Incredible performance.

Watch this movie. There are so many little details that are engaging. The time clock that speaks freaks you out. The empty light sockets. The sound of the mattress in the house. On and on...
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminally underrated! PLEASE read SECOND paragraph!
Funktapus22 March 2005
OK this movie isn't perfect, in fact I remember one plot hole that really bugged me. It's already mentioned in the Goofs section so no need to go into it here. There is also a VERY BIZARRE scene where a cop is holding a baseball bat FOR NO APPARENT REASON.

END SPOILER WARNING. Now please don't let that first paragraph deter you from watching this movie, it's just to explain why I couldn't give this movie a ten. As a lot of people here are saying this film is horribly underrated and has a lot going for it. It shows that being blind is not some "gift" but a horrible disadvantage. The friendship between detectives Berlin and Ross is actually believable and the movie manages to be gritty, cold and beautiful at the same time throughout.

And finally the ending. Apparently the ending in the film was added after the original didn't make sense because important scenes were edited out by the studio. Not everybody here likes it but I did. In it's own gritty way it's a happy ending, of sorts.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent, complicated thriller
rmax3048237 March 2005
It's a long and complex movie. Complex not because there are too many subplots. (There are only two interwoven plots: the solution of the mystery and the mating of Andy Garcia and Uma Thurman.) It's just that we follow events in considerable detail. That's okay, in itself, but the climax itself -- the revelation and killing of a serial murderer -- isn't well adumbrated. The climax pivots on the finding of an antihistamine capsule and everything falls together in the last fifteen minutes without any previous hints.

The director follows most of the rules. Nothing fancy. He does give us two outstanding scenes. In the first, Uma Thurman, who has been blind since childhood and sequestered in a bleak institution is taken to a Christmas party by Garcia, the detective investigating serial murders, in one of which cases she is a witness. A friend dresses her up and covers her with makeup for her debut. (I liked her better as a lean lanky-looking Bohemian with a cello. Dressed up she looks a little whorish.) The party begins well. But later she finds herself standing alone in the middle of a dozen drunken guests who bump into her from unexpected directions. The record player is blaring "Louie Louie," and everyone ignores her. Her anxiety is manifest as she is slowly encircled by the camera, and we are as confused and frightened as she is. Thurman and the director do a polished job here.

Another memorable scene is the interrogation of Garcia by John Malkovich. Malkovich hams it up as usual. He seems to be constantly sniffing and speaks as if he had a cold. "You got mbarried but byew had a bad mbarriage, didn't byew?" But that's okay too. It must have been a hard scene to shoot. It's full of tight close ups of the two faces, sometimes only inches apart. Sometimes Malkovich even whispers into Garcia's ear. Garcia is tense, grief stricken, and angry. Malkovich is sly and insinuating. There is no music in the scene. Aside from the dialogue everything is perfectly quiet, except for the squeaking of wheeled office chairs or the harsh breathing of the actors. One wrong move, one errant jactitation, one delinquent vocal chord, and everything goes back to Square One. Whatever troubles the scene might have given the film makers, what we see on screen is about as good as it gets. Two real professionals at work in front of a camera.

I'll make the rest of the points kind of quickly. Conrad Hall is a great cinematographer, and he gets some of the scenic locations down neatly. But -- man, is this gloomy. Okay, we don't expect it to be otherwise when it's a howling blizzard and three in the morning. But the interiors are almost as dark. (Enough with the symbolism!) Why is a police laboratory so dark we can hardly make out the faces? There is no contrast between interiors and exteriors. Somebody turn on the lights!

The director should get no more than a gentleman's C for the introduction of the institute's janitor. An elevator door opens. We see a man's back. The man turns around. Jump to a close up of his bald head and gargoyle face with glasses like coke-bottle bottoms. It would have been fine in a movie with a title like "I Dismember Mamma." There us some gratuitous nudity too. I found it objectionable for two reasons. One is that there wasn't enough of it. Second is that a body double is used. Much better to have had a long long scene of gratuitous nudity using the lissome blond herself.

Maurice Jarre evidently had his score thrown out. The replacement is pretty good. This murky and rather solemn film is unimaginable with a loud action-y score full of electronic percussion and unceasing in its torture. It's nice that Thurman plays a music teacher at the institute but I kind of wish the instrument we had seen her with had been something other than a cello. It must be played in an undignified position and is the second most preposterous instrument in an orchestra, the first being the Glockenspiel.

Oh -- and by the way, Garcia tracks the murderer down by following a trail of clues to a house many hours' drive away, in Oakland. While he's riffing through the drawers, he's caught by the murderer and framed. How did the murderer know that Garcia would be there?

Eureka's not a bad little town, although it's rainy all winter and foggy all summer. It keeps the riff-raff out. My ship used to dock at Field's Landing. I wonder if the Ranchotel is still open? Very friendly patrons.
24 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robinson Crusoe (Possible Spoilers)
lordwhorfin28 July 2003
I have no idea what did Bruce Robinson in with critics of this movie. While it's so that the ending is perhaps abrupt, and that there are some small inconsistencies of plot, much of the caviling and carping about this film seems pointed in the direction that the identity of the killer was obvious.

'Jennifer 8' is not an upbeat film, nor is it a standard cop drama. It is a compelling portrait of a professional on the edge and a longstanding co-dependent relationship collapsing under fire. The acting is uniformly superb, and the script up to the task. A genuine insight into the limits of human relationships is Robinson's forte, and he doesn't disappoint here.

It's important to remember that small towns protect their own. That being said, I applaud Robinson for successfully evoking the closeness and claustrophobia of small towns, thus making the protective impulse, to this viewer at least, believable. Robinson succeeds with 'Jennifer 8' in ways that Sam Raimi failed in both 'A Simple Plan' and 'The Gift': Robinson convinced me that willed blindness (get it?) hindered the search for a dangerous killer.

As with his classic, 'Withnail and I,' Robinson scores with textures, tones, and very subtle attitudes. Another commenter singles out the 'junk mail' line Garcia quotes from his dream about God (God tells Garcia in his dream that God sees prayers as junk mail) as 'sophomoric'.

First, that's part of the point about Garcia's character. He's a bitter, adolescent guy. Although fans of Garcia's might not want to embrace it, he's not a very nice person in this film, and remains substantially unredeemed. Perhaps this resolution explains some of the hostility to this film. John Berlin (Garcia) is not an anti-hero, but his is fundamentally weak in some critical way. His healing has made him rigid, not clear in his thinking, self-righteous, but not necessarily right.

Second, the dream about God is a very telling moment in the film because Robinson keeps it so small. It's almost a throw-away scene, but it gives great insight into both the despair and the essential shallowness of Berlin's self-reflection. It is these tendencies that lead Berlin to make a terrible mistake that nearly destroys everything in his world.

I rate this a strong 8/10.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, Moody & Absorbing
seymourblack-111 March 2011
"Jennifer Eight" is an absorbing crime thriller about a burned out homicide detective who, whilst trying to get his life back on track, uncovers information which suggests that there's a serial killer on the loose who specialises in killing and dismembering blind women.

Police Sergeant John Berlin (Andy Garcia) transfers from the LAPD to the small rural town of Eureka in the hope of finding a quieter and less stressful way of life. At the local police department, he meets up with his old friend Sergeant Freddy Ross (Lance Henriksen) and immediately gets embroiled in a case involving a severed hand which was found in a garbage dump. His investigations reveal that the hand belonged to a blind woman and further computer checks suggest that the nature of her murder was similar to a series of others in the same locality which were never solved.

Berlin's enquiries bring him into contact with a blind woman who could potentially be a useful witness. Matters become more complicated however, as he falls in love with Helena Robertson (Uma Thurman) and soon recognises that she could be the serial killer's next victim.

Berlin's senior officers aren't convinced by his findings and are also dubious about the value of a blind witness. His determination to continue with the investigation brings him into conflict with his colleagues and then things get even worse when he's accused of murdering a fellow cop. Berlin eventually discovers the identity of the serial killer before the culprit's activities are brought to an end in an unconventional way.

"Jennifer Eight" is a dark and moody film with a great deal of suspense, interesting characters and a number of unexpected plot developments. The cinematography by Conrad L Hall is absolutely magnificent and the strong performances by Garcia, Thurman and Henriksen are complemented by John Malkovich's memorable cameo (as a weird FBI agent) and consistently good contributions from the supporting cast. The pace of the movie is considered and thoughtful and this fits perfectly with the carefully created atmosphere of the piece.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
serial killer suspense mystery genres
bcheng9322 February 2014
why did this movie get only a 6.2 rating on IMDb? are people dumb? this movie has great stars( Thurman, Garcia, henriksen & a great cameo by malkovich( he is so good that i wanted to put my hand thru my flatscreen & just choke him). this movies also got great winter scenes and what a great musical score. this movie definitely is gonna get multiple viewings from me. i consider myself a huge fan of movies & will just about watch anything, but.....people...this is a nice little " diamond in the rough ". this is in my top 10-15 serial killer, suspense, thriller movies. i think most people will like this movie if they try it. oh btw....is Andy Garcia a Al Pacino clone or what..LOL. seriously if u like a well-made movie, give this one a try
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MESMERIZING AT FIRST, BUT GETS STUPID
r-angle30 December 2017
At times, this movie is mesmerizing and mysterious, a really good story about a serial killer who targets blind women. But at other times it is unbearably stupid and overdone.

Andy Garcia is OK part of the time and terrible when he portrays any strong emotion, like anger. He and Uma Thurman are good together at times, like when she is freaked out over the party and Andy comforts her.

This is a "B" movie but it aspires to be an "A" flick. John Malkovich is wonderful, at times, as he often is, when given almost nothing to work with.

Lots of the time the story just feel empty. Gets worse as it goes on.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
underrated with quite a few original ideas
max_s44423 May 2003
This movie has a lot of things going against him. The mystery is quite obvious, there's too much formulated writing (like who dies, who falls in love, who takes the falls, what happens when)and you can mistake it for just another detective-thriller. But there are several key ingredients that make this movie worth watching.

Take for example Uma Thurman's character. This is the best depiction of a blind person in movies. She's not psychic, she doesn't have radar senses, she's not clairvoyant, she's not one-with-the-universe. She's blind. Its very crippling to be blind, its one of the worst handicaps and this movie shows an actual blind person who has a hard time coping with all of the action going around her.

I'd love to mention the end of the movie which brings into climax the uniqueness of the film. Its quite surprising and it gets to you. But I'm not the spoiler kind of guy. so I can only recommend the movie. An intelligent thriller, very mindful of realism, with a good performance by an impressive cast. Something worth renting. Go see it.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too long, but good late-night viewing
gridoon20211 May 2020
Atmospheric and moodily photographed, "Jennifer Eight" would be ideal viewing for a dark and rainy night. A pre-stardom Uma Thurman is lovely, and her "blind" performance is just as strong in its own quiet way as, say, Al Pacino's in the same year's "Scent Of A Woman", just less Oscar-baity. Lance Henriksen has a doubly rare co-starring / good-guy part. But it is the superb John Malkovich who steals every scene he's in - it's worth watching the film just to see him (he probably improvised some bits, which the director wisely left in). The killer's motivation is silly, but the climax is quite original in regards to who ultimately saves the day. One of the better thrillers of its kind. **1/2 out of 4.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not blind at all
lee_eisenberg23 December 2017
Bruce Robinson's "Jennifer 8" isn't a great movie but worth seeing. While it does follow the detective-suspects-pattern-in-murders-and-has-to-protect-someone formula, Andy Garcia's and Uma Thurman's performances give the movie its strength. Obviously it's towards the end that the movie really gets going, but even up to that point there's some clever stuff. For the life of me I cannot figure out why any person would define as masterpieces the creepy "Home Alone", the obnoxious "Everyone Says I Love You", the vacuous "Eyes Wide Shut" and the pointless "Man on the Moon" when "Jennifer 8" actually has an interesting plot. Not the best movie ever made, but still one that I recommend. Good performances also come from Lance Henriksen, Kathy Baker and John Malkovich.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Okay, But Nothing Special
ccthemovieman-110 July 2006
With Andy Garcia, Uma Thurman and John Malkovich all playing intriguing characters, this should have been better than it was. It was okay, but nothing special. Had the main character, "Sgt. John Berlin," (Garcia) been more likable to me, perhaps I would have rated it higher. He was just too excitable and profane in parts, yet remarkably composed when grilled by Malkovich's character near the end. Malkovich played "Agent St. Anne," an annoying, nasty investigative cop who you hate. His acting is usually so good that you have no trouble believing his roles.

Overall, this thriller is fine for one look, meaning more of a rental than a purchase. Note: That is not Thurman nude in the bathtub, but a stand-in. That kind of sums up the film, too - okay, but not the real thing.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little hard to watch, because I only have one eye
joeestlinbm17 February 2005
Jennefer 8 is one of those movies that can't be duplicated. Uma Thurman was wonderful. She's beautiful even when she's blind. the movie seemed to center around the fact that she could hear better than folks who can see. The movie boggled my mind to such an extent that I was actually tired when it was over. I don't think I've ever involved myself in a movie to the extent that I did this one.

I could never stop thinking about the blind lady, as handicapped as she was, and how hard she was trying to help solve the murder.

This is a very easy movie to get involved in, and very well worth watching.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice Mystery Thriller
whpratt12 December 2006
Enjoyed the great acting of Uma Thurman,(Helena Robertson),"Prime",'05, who plays a blind gal who has some connection to another young girl who disappeared and is being investigated by a detective. This detective is played by Andy Garcia,(Sgt. John Berlin),"The Lost City",'05, who has just transferred from Los Angeles to a small town in Northern California and his first assignment leads him to a garbage dump and all its smells in the pouring rain. There is a scary scene where Helena Robertson is taking a bath and there is a guy unknowing to her, taking pictures of poor Helena in the nude and she does not even realize it. John Malkovich,(Agent St. Anne), plays a short role, but you will really get to hate him in everything he does and says. Kathy Baker,(Margie Ross),"Nip/Tuck TV" plays a great supporting role. Great Mystery and thriller which will keep you glued to the TV screen.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No, not the seventh sequel to "Jennifer, the Snake Goddess"
Jonny_Numb2 June 2008
"Jennifer 8" is a passable thriller with an exceptional cast and a relatively cohesive story, but much like the "gialli" of Dario Argento, it's a film that doesn't have the good sense to quit while it's ahead, and expects to tie things up with a reveal that is just so much hastily-assembled pop-psychology cliché. Set in a pervasively dreary New England state, Andy Garcia plays a LA cop who's transferred in order to be under the command of mentor Lance Henriksen, and discovers a bloodied brassiere and a severed hand at the scene of an apparent suicide; thus is unearthed a casefile on a string of murders targeting blind women as a masked assailant goes back into action, stalking attractive music teacher Uma Thurman (who gives a performance better than the material deserves). While some of writer-director Bruce Robinson's plot points feel tangled (or lost completely) as the film progresses, and much of the staging is without flair (even a cat-and-mouse chase through a deserted dorm midway through doesn't play as suspensefully as it could have), the stellar cast really recoups the shortcomings, just barely earning my recommendation. While Andy Garcia's sometimes-frantic line readings and bug-eyed expressions make him a dubious choice for the lead, he plays well off his more seasoned costars, particularly Henriksen (whose profane, hard-boiled zingers remind us why he is one of cinema's best-kept character-actor secrets); additionally, John Malkovich shows up late in the game for a brilliantly-performed interrogation scene that, while seemingly extraneous to the ongoing plot, is nevertheless worth watching for the man's undeniable chops (like Charles Bronson, he basically plays the same character in each film--but does it quite well). And, as stated earlier, Thurman exudes the likability, intelligence, and beauty that would rightly launch her into stardom. As a thriller, "Jennifer 8" might be lower-drawer, but as an actor's showcase it holds up pretty well.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SO Underrated..who rates these movies anyways?
dweddle326 October 2011
I am watching this movie right now. Underrated is not the word. It blows away many movies. I just saw a couple movies rated "eight", and this movie was far better. The plot is very convincing, the acting by Uma Thurman, Andy Garcia, and Lance Hendriksen are excellent. The supporting cast is excellent. There is violence and action, but it is highly believable. I am so tired of over-the-top action and violence. Many a good movie is spoiled by heroes, they can get buried alive, hung by a rope, his hand smashed by a huge monkey wrench , stabbed in the kidneys, and shot in the head, and still they come back teach scores of heavily armed bad guys a lesson. (This is a actual plot of a 8 rated movie) . The music is good, the mystery believable and deepening. Just great. You will not were regret the time you spent watching this movie. One of the best I have seen in a long time. I liked the ending a lot. It is very hard to guess how it ends, to solve the mystery before it's over. I didn't see it coming. This movie is something that could conceivably happen in real life, rather than your cyborg werewolf vs. ninja vampire affair geared toward sixth-graders. It seems like many of these get high ratings these days. The wilder it gets, the more people like them.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.