Captain Ron (1992) Poster

(1992)

Don't worry Boss, it'll get outta our way...
INDIANA-429 December 1998
This is one of my favorites. So much so I ran out and purchased it. I'm puzzled as to why this movie was not rated higher, it is at least on a parr with DAVE, NINE MONTHS, GROUNDHOG DAY and THE BIG LEBOWSKI. I liked all those movies and CAPTAIN RON is just as good. Kurt Russell's performance is hilarious and keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what he will do next. I would never have seen this movie based on the score it was given, lucky for me I saw the movie first. Terrific, hilarious and enjoyable entertainment. Don't miss this one.
34 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light hearted comedy about a family trying to control their life on a sailboat.
dukemarsh6 September 2004
This is wonderful movie, one of my favorite movies of all time! A family inherits a sailboat and decides to flee the urban rat race. They don't realize that they will have to over come many hurdles, including aspects of them selves, Capt. Ron, the boat and the environment.

The daughter plays a teenager that is simultaneously apathetic and nearly out of control. The son is a kid who hasn't taken an interest in life until now. The father assumes that Capt. Ron can't know anything while the family begins to believe that it's the father who doesn't know anything.

This movie was one of the triggers to me moving to a tropical island to live, oh and to buy a boat.
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is pure joy to watch and absorb over and over!
jpaynter315 March 2006
I don't understand the many poor reviews I have seen from the "professional reviewers". I think this movie is incredibly funny in a quiet sort of way. I have seen it many times. It reminds me of the many Jackie Gleason Honeymooners I have seen over and over. I know what punch line is coming and I begin laughing before the punch line is even delivered.

Martin Short is not his usual manic self and this is refreshing. Kurt Russell is a master as he plays against the heroic roles he has played so often.

The play of the use of "gorillas" versus "guerillas" is laid back genius. I saw this movie again last night for the umpteenth time. I love it!
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hey Swab...go check out this movie.
Reel_entertainment5 December 2001
Kurt Russell is one of those actors that can play a variety of roles, & get away with it. Action, drama, & comedy. He must of been thinking of Jack Burton from 'Big Trouble In Little China' & but some of that into this movie. 'Captain Ron' is a great movie! The plot is simple, & so is the movie. That is what make sit so much fun. Yes, most of the movie is translucent, but it works so well. Kurt Russell shines as Capt. Ron Rico, who has been hired by the Harvey family to be the drive their boat from a Carribean Island to Miami, FL. While he bumbles from one scene to the other, Capt. Ron manages to be successful in the end. All of this makes Martin Harvey(Martin Short) furious, while his family loves Capt. Ron. Lots of laughs.
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happened to this film??
hchoover12 February 2000
Captain Ron was released in September of 1992, it had to compete with movies like Encino Man, Lethal Weapon 3 and The Crying Game. I think this may be the reason that it did so poorly at the box office. I saw the film when it was initially released in theaters, I thought it was great! Very possibly the funniest film of 1992... So why has it disappeared? Why has no one ever heard of it. Go rent the video, or better yet BUY IT, judge the movie for yourself, and then write Disney, Touchstones parent company and tell them that this movie really deserves more than just a lousy $10 video release, when is it gonna be on DVD? How about a CD soundtrack? What went wrong??
40 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No life raft can save you from Captain Ron!
hamilton.fisher1 June 2004
Few people like this film as much as my family and I, but we never miss it when it comes on TV. Perhaps that's because we've sailed the Caribbean and can relate to the misadventures of the characters in the movie. It's a terrific family film.

Kurt Russell is hysterical as the one-eyed Captain Ron. Martin Short, for a change, plays the straight man. The rest of the cast are cute and funny.

By the end of the movie, I actually found myself nostalgic for the sense of freedom and fun that only Captain Ron can steer you towards. I gave this movie a 9; don't throw me overboard for that!

Hamilton Fisher
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very enjoyable movie.
INDIANA-45 January 1999
This film has a little bit of everything in it. Adventure, pirates, lots of excitement, and plenty of laughs. It is one of the most enjoyable movies I've watched. If you just want to relax and sit back and laugh, CAPTAIN RON is a movie you won't want to miss.
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic, laid-back comedy
tlarndt3 January 2004
Kurt Russell is brilliant as Captain Ron, a rascal and part time sea captain adrift in the Caribbean. Many classic lines, and bits of dialogue throughout the film. This is one movie I enjoy watching repeatedly.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must for all, sailors and landlubbers alike!
outhaul9 April 2001
Ignore all the stuffed shirt, up-tight pinheads who couldn't loosen up if a gun was held to their collective heads. Treat this movie as it should be...FUN! This is the film that keeps us going through the winter until sailing season...then we take the video along on board.

Martin Short and Kurt Russell are TERRIFIC together, and Mary Kay Place? Who'd have known what a versatile actress she is, after all, most of us only had Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman to judge her by. The kids certainly do add a fine finishing touch to this hilarious crew.

This movie was not created to win an academy award, it was created to be lighthearted and fun and it far exceeded that goal.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Kurt Russell's best performances!!!
moviefan1725-129 July 2005
Kurt Russell is THE man! One of the most under appreciated actors in Hollywood, Russell takes what would have been a run of the mill comedy and makes it HILARIOUS!!! Captain Ron Rico is about as laid back as laid back can be. He's an ex Navy boat driver whose been through one too many squalls, not to mention a stint in rehab. A treasure chest of worldly knowledge, he's never at a loss to relate his exploits even when it comes to his glass eye, "Won it in a crap game a few years back." At first glance he's a man you wouldn't trust to float an inner tube, but as he proves to Martin Short throughout the course of the movie, he's "far more cunning than first suspected." After all, you gotta love a guy who as he's sipping beer with Short's young son, he tells the young lad that he just caught his parents "Playing hide-the-salami in the shower." I crack up just writing about it. But besides Russell's stellar performance, there's BEAUTIFUL locations and photography, a catchy reggae soundtrack, and enough laughs from the rest of the cast to make this a most enjoyable film to pop a bowl of popcorn to and enjoy with the family. As for me....I wanna go out drinkin' with Captain Ron!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family finds self
christiantrainer10 December 2005
Every time i want to laugh, when i see this movie on, i catch a glimpse. This movie is guaranteed to make you laugh. And Mary Kay Place is such EYE candy for us men. She represents the type of woman we men would ask to marry. Beautiful yet supportive of her family and children. However, Kurt Russell steals the show. This movie was a role reversal where Martin Short is the serious one and Kurt is the odd-ball. It excellently shows how an outsider can help indirectly to save a group from its own fears and inadequacies. anyway, you will laugh your head off. The location shooting was just beautiful - makes me want to purchase a boat.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kurt Russell Shines in Pleasant Sea Comedy...
cariart8 September 2003
Between the sex-charged thriller UNLAWFUL ENTRY, and the Western classic, TOMBSTONE, Kurt Russell kicked back and had some fun, playing one-eyed reprobate Captain Ron Rico, in Thom Eberhardt's easy-going comedy, CAPTAIN RON. The tale of a Chicago family's sea-faring odyssey, moving an inherited sailboat (once owned by Clark Gable) from a tiny Caribbean port to Miami for sale, CAPTAIN RON never gets the big laughs you'd expect from a movie co-starring Martin Short, but is entertaining, with Russell again proving he is as adept at comedy as in action or dramatic roles.

Co-starring the wonderful Mary Kay Place as Short's practical but supportive wife, and Meadow Sisto and Benjamin Salisbury as their scheming children, the story would be a routine 'by-the-numbers' sea comedy, if not for Russell's larger-than-life presence. As the sailor hired to take the boat and family to Miami, Captain Ron is wild, occasionally inept, and the kind of seaman you wouldn't trust a rowboat to, much less a broken-down yacht! "If we get lost," he tells a nervous Short, "we'll just pull into an island and ask directions." Whether he's rescuing Short and Place from a flooding shower stall ("Your folks were playing 'Hide the Salami' in the shower", he calmly explains to their young son, who promptly falls out of his chair), or warning the family to keep an eye out for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ("So you've been to Disney World," Short quips...before pirates indeed attack the ship), Russell's 'Ron' is a comic gem, commanding the screen each time he appears.

While CAPTAIN RON will never make anyone's list of 'Best Comedies', it is a pleasant diversion, and if you're a Kurt Russell fan, you won't be disappointed!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All Time Family Movie
bj_cormier7 January 2001
This is one movie that the "Family" loves to watch over and over again. It rates right up there with "Uncle Buck". It's all together to familiar about how our children grow in different ways (and there lives are more right then ours) and how we pull it all back together with just a twist of fate. You will laugh till your sides ache with this movie. It's a great summer time movie as is "Christmas Vacation" for the winter vacation time for you and your family. Enjoy as I have and will continue........
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm still laughing
Kfirst27 May 2002
Captain Ron IS the all time favorite comedy in our family. I laugh just thinking about "Captain Ron". How movies like this just get lost in the shuffle is beyond me. Don't the right people know a good thing when they see it? Don't miss seeing it again, again, again******** A 10!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Good Light-Hearted Comedy
Uriah4324 September 2017
This movie begins with a man named "Martin Harvey" (Martin Short) and his wife "Katherine Harvey" (Mary Kay Place) inheriting a sail boat once owned by Clark Gable. The only problem is that they have to sail it from a small island in the Caribbean called Pomme de Terre to a port in Miami to have it surveyed in order to sell. However, once they get there they find that the boat is in great disrepair and unable to sail it themselves they hire a local sailor named "Captain Ron" (Kurt Russell) to help them out. What they don't realize is that Captain Ron is a complete idiot and is liable to get them all killed before they ever get to Miami. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that a friend recommended this movie to me many years ago and upon eventually watching it I found it to be as good as he said it was. I especially liked the acting of Kurt Russell who was absolutely hilarious. In any case, those who are looking for a good light-hearted comedy might want to check this one out and I have rated it accordingly. Above average.
GREAT Movie Boss!
extremecraigfan11 May 2017
It is beyond me how an excellent movie such as Captain Ron received such a low rating. Of course I never understand the ratings here...really great movies with low ratings and real stinkers with extremely high. At times I wonder if the stinkers are not just pumped up in score by friends. Who knows...but over the years I stopped reading reviews til after I viewed the movie. They just cannot be trusted.

Good comedies are difficult to find nowadays. If you come across one watch it and enjoy...don't just dis it and toss it aside.

Captain Ron has all the elements of a great comedy. Good comedic actors, good plot, and just enough foreboding when released it comes back and hits you much harder on the funny side than ever expected.

Martin Short and Mary Kay Place played their parts well but, I have to admit, Kurt stole the show...it didn't even seem like he was acting...he was Captian Ron!!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kurt Russell is having great fun here
bkoganbing21 October 2016
Although there had been hints of it before with Kurt Russell, in Captain Ron he breaks out with a full blown comedy. In the title role Russell creates a character, a raffish sort to rival Cary Grant in Father Goose and Charles Laughton in The Beachcomber. Not to mention Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou, John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn and the best of all Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen.

Martin Short and his wife Mary Kay Place inherit a yacht that was once owned by Clark Gable and I'm sure if the boat could talk it could tell some fabulous tales. It's in dry dock in The Bahamas and in need of repair to put it mildly. But fix it and flip it as they say in today's world and get someone to pilot it to Florida.

Who Short and Place get is Kurt Russell the legendary Captain Ron who's seen and done all. At least according to him and the tales get taller as Russell imbibes. But he sure has Place enchanted their daughter Meadow Sisto is a believer and he's really got their young son Benjamin Salisbury ready to go to far away places with him.

I won't go into it, but the castaways on Gilligan's Island never faced anything like what Kurt Russell puts Short and his family through in their '3 hour tour'. I'm sure Clark Gable and Carole Lombard and anyone else whoever sailed on this craft never had a saga like Short, Place and their kids have.

Everyone performs well and I have to say Martin Short must have been a great sport about essentially being Kurt Russell's straight man. As for Russell you can see what attracted him to the part, a chance to have a seven course meal on the scenery and not be criticized for it as the role calls for it. It's an actor's dream.

Kurt Russell is having fun and the fun is infectious for the viewer.
A much underrated movie
coalharbourmedia15 April 2016
This is a very funny movie that never really hit the headlines. No idea why, but maybe because I am a sailor myself, I can appreciate the humour. Well worth watching if you want to lose yourself in the Caribbean lifestyle from your cold and damp apartment in winter.

A young family is left an old sailing vessel in a will, but have to travel to the Caribbean to sail it to the broker for sale so that they can pay off their mortgage. The adventures on the way with Capt. Ron (Kurt Russell) first make the family hate it, then love it. They have no experience and hire Cap'n Ron to help sail the boat with some disastrous results, all of which could happen in real life, but the movie drags you in to want to go out and buy a boat in the Caribbean yourself and sail away into the sunset, laughing all the way!

Highly recommended.
Geeky Randy's summary
Geeky Randy30 September 2015
Panned 1992 family-adventure about middle-class family man Martin unexpectedly inheriting a boat, and instead of paying a boat mover to sail it from the Caribbean to Miami to sell it, he takes his wife (Place) and children (Salisbury and Sisto) on a "spontaneous adventure" led by an incompetent captain-for-hire (Russell in the title role). Viewers may be getting too hung up on the fact that it is Russell in the funny role and Martin in the serious one, but the latter is excellent as a dorky yuppy whose patience is being chiseled away by the former's family-unfriendly antics. If you sit back and roll with it, it's like letting the wind carry the sails, with its wonderful score by Pike and beautiful filming locations (mainly shot in Puerto Rico).

★★★ (out of four)
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Goof Ship Lollipop of Laughs, is Captain Ron and his fellow seafarers!
inkblot1117 March 2015
Button-downed Martin Harvey (Martin Short) and his wife, Kitty (Mary Kay Place), live the proverbial rat race life in Chicago. Complicating things are their children. Daughter Caroline (Meadow Sisto) has just announced her engagement, ha, at age sixteen while Benjamin (The Nanny's Benjamin Salisbury) gets very bored a lot. So, what a stroke of luck when news arrives that the family has inherited a yacht. You see, its on a Caribbean island and they must sail it to Miami to sell it for big bucks. What a thrilling vacation ahead, never mind that none of them can sail! Off they go. But, once they arrive on the little paradise, the boat is quite ugly and rundown. Bummer. But, along comes Captain Ron (Kurt Russell) who can not only guide the vessel back to the States, but teach the family how to sail the boat (it also has a motor) and "spruce up the ship", too. Although Martin is a bit worried at Ron's carefree attitude and drinking habits, what could go wrong? Plenty! They soon meet pirates, face storms, and get caught in other perilous adventures. Will they walk on American soil again? This darling film is a Good Ship Lollipop of Laughs the whole family will enjoy. Russell is one versatile guy, for he can be dead serious in his roles (remember Miracle) or he can be goofy as they come, as he is here. Short is the perfect, stuffy foil to Ron, while Place, Sisto, Salisbury, and all of the others are great, too. Then, since the setting is the Caribbean, the scenery is beyond lovely while costumes, script and zesty direction spell F-U-N as well. Don't let this boat sail without you!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outlandish and amusing family comedy
dworldeater5 March 2015
Captain Ron is a real cheesy, but fairly enjoyable family comedy. Martin Short inherits a yacht and convinces his family to accompany him to pick up his boat and to have a family vacation. The boat does not exactly live up to Martin Short's expectations and the agency interested in buying the boat hires local Captain Ron to lead the voyage across the Caribbean. Kurt Russell gives a great over the top performance as our beloved captain. He is a likable, crazy seaman who at times borders on inept, but still gets the job done. Martin Short's character is an uptight weenie, of which our hero Captain Ron drives crazy during the course of the film. This brings to mind Bill Murray classic What About Bob?, where Bill Murray drove Richard Dreyfuss nuts while simultaneously winning the favor of the rest of the family. There are occasional nods to Overboard as well. I am not trying to convince anyone that Captain Ron is of the same quality of the classic comedies I have just mentioned. However, Captain Ron is still fun to watch and there are many far worst movies out there.
Great fun, and a great performance by Kurt Russell
vincentlynch-moonoi31 July 2013
To decide how good a film is there are 2 primary issues -- the storyline/script and the acting.

The storyline/script here is pretty decent for a comedy. Obsessive husband/father inherits yacht...goes to retrieve it out of county...has to hire a skipper to sail her back to the States. Revolutionaries, pirates, gales are among the crises the wacky American family survives. But they almost don't survive the skipper -- Captain Ron -- Kurt Russell.

What sets this agreeable comedy apart is Kurt Russell's acting as Captain Ron. It's a bravura performance...perhaps his best.

In terms of the other actors, the only really significant parts are those of the family. Martin Short is very good as the obsessive father/husband. I enjoyed Mary Kay Place as his wife. The rest of the supporting actors do their jobs, and Benjamin Salisbury and Meadow Sisto do well as the children.

This is just a good, fun movie, with one great performance topping it off. Recommended!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A shark ate your eye?....
FlashCallahan5 June 2013
A family in Chicago inherits a yacht, 'The Wanderer', formerly owned by Clark Gable.

They decide to sail it from the island of St. Pomme de Terre, to Miami.

They sail with the assistance of Captain Ron and their little holiday turns into more than they bargained for....

This is one of those films that I always wanted to see as a teenager. It was never released theatrically here, and I believe my rental store only ever had one copy, so I had to wait over twenty years for the pleasure.

and it's so not the film I thought it was.

Russell is great as the titular character, all Plissken and Gabriel Cash, whenever he is on the screen, the film is hilarious, it's just the family have no dynamic, and spend the majority of the film moaning and looking miserable.

I know CR is supposed to vex Martin Short, but he whines from the moment his character is introduced.

The locations are wonderful, and it goes along at a fast pace, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, maybe I left it a little too late.

and I was really surprised by the nudity and foul language. I'm no prude, but it really threw me.

Shame the film didn't.
Funny
SanteeFats21 April 2013
I thought this movie was pretty well done. Kurt Russell is very funny as the main character, Captain Ron. Martin Short plays his typical understated, I am an idiot role, although he does get a lot tougher as the movie goes on. The kids are spoiled rotten like most of today's teens. They do learn some hard lessons about life by the end of the movie and learn to rely on their parents for support and guidance. The daughter thinks she is hot stuff (and she is) but learns the ways of the world to her chagrin. Captain Ron is a well written, well acted movie that is funny and has some nice eye candy. I own it and will watch it several times in the future.
Here is the trailer
lukejmu15 February 2011
This movie is so amazing. It basically has it all, Kurt Russell, Martin short, comedy, drama, pirates, boats, guns, fire, boobs, and fire-breathers. It doesn't get much better. The performance Russell gives in showing the resolve, determination, attention to detail and focus shown by the Harvies in their pursuit of a free lifestyle, truly shows a level of unwavering mental toughness that is very impressive and without a doubt lies at the heart of the film's appeal. Ron, is tough, brave and stubborn as he fights through every obstacle, setback and trial throughout the journey. If this movie were to be re-leased today it would look something like this. Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/user/lukejmu?feature=mhum#p/u/0/cOPl21EVhaU